Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #106  

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome to Kilketay. How hard your past year as been with seeing your Mother suffer and die. May you write some of your good memories of her to keep you company.

Welcome to Fooy2, also. Good luck with the delicious wine issues.

Bill: May your iceberg continue to grow smaller and smaller and may you be relieved from any more snow!!! Good for you staying true to your wise plans.

Mary Ann: Hopefully you were able to recover some sanity with some private relaxation. How lucky that your husband supports you, too.

1x1: Writers block? ouch.

P.A.: WOW! What a great example you are to each of us. Glad you share.

DH and I were able to do some outside work in garden. Path from back door to veggie garden is mulch covered, but now is more compost than mulch. He dug up the top few inches and placed wheelbarrow loads near the areas I'll be planting. It will be great to go over the new Clematis vines to make them deeper in cool earth, and stay moist longer as the nutrients drain down.

Pulled out Pachsandra that is encroaching on the path and actually needed thinning. Wish I knew someone who wanted great pieces to start a patch. It is so expensive in the stores.

More interesting birds coming to our back yard feeding station. Some seed in feeders (3) and some scattered to meet the special desires of our guests.

Weight back to high at March 1, and am bumfuzzled why.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #107  
Changing from the inside

S/C/G: 210/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone,

I am new to this thread but have been a lurker in 3FC for years. I've been reading your daily posts for a couple weeks and finally decided to step in and introduce myself.

I'm Laurelei. I started reading reading the Beck Diet Solution (green book) a few weeks ago. I am still on Phase I and struggling to do the first 6 success skills for at least a couple days in a row. I always forget to weight myself in the morning (and I hate to weigh myself after I have water and food in my stomach). I usually forget to sit down and slowly eat my meals, especially at work where I am used to eating at my desk. I am good at giving myself credit, reading my Advantages and Response cards, and doing spontaneous exercise. I have picked up running again recently so I am getting better at running multiple times a week. I do need to focus more though on exercising every single day, even if it is just walking.

I hope this thread will be a good source of accountability for me. I tried going to OA and a similar group called SMART recovery (in southern California), and I found the social accountability part very useful but I don't know if the programs themselves are exactly what I am looking for. I am very hopeful about CBT. I think it will change the way I think which will impact my behavior.

Looking forward to sharing with you all. I'm traveling this weekend so I will most likely not have time to share until Monday. But hello!! to everyone and see you soon.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #108  

Height: 5' 2"

Laurelei Welcome!!! Glad to see you are really trying hard to sit down and slowly eat your meals. Boy, is that making a huge difference to me. I'm surprised how delicious some of my food is that I just gulped down.

Exercise: you are way ahead of me, and giving yourself credit is such a good habit. Keep coming back, please.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #109  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Rough work day. Major issue that could have devolved into a bigger mess was halted. Kind of the middle person between one who made a solid error (human error) and our boss. Lots of worries all around. Worked several hours late, zipped home and started salads for us. DH was also having a terrible workday and was home an hour later than normal. He had brought a large lunch in and asked if we wanted to split our entree, cutting it from 440 to 220 each and that worked well. He always says he doesn't want just salad but two night starting with a BIG salad for each has gone well.

Jeans that were loose are now almost uncomfortably tight on the waistband. Want to add that to a fresh card of "why"

Weary, both body and mind.

Welcome, Laurelei! Safe travels this weekend.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome IamLaurelei

Laurelei (IamLaurelei)

And, in case you didn't get one of these 5 months ago,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Coach/Buddy Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - National Pi Day (3.14.15)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library where they were holding a book for me. Then folk dancing in the evening where I ignored a table with twelve (I counted them) different snacks including something covered in dark chocolate. Ignoring those gets its own CREDIT moi, especially in the face of the overwhelmingly logical Sabotaging Thought, You need to eat one to figure out what's inside - otherwise you'll go to your grave not knowing.

Continued to eat on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the promised leftover salmon. That is so good as leftovers that I wonder if we should always cook it the day before, LOL. The temptation to eat enveloped me while I was doing some tax work; I don't mind paying taxes, it's the paper shuffling that seems an unfair burden. (Just pre-ordered Dr. Judith Beck's The Diet Trap Solution: Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good to arrive on April 21st from Amazon.)

onebyone – Yay for chilling out when that's what's needed. And Yay for drinking Kale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's so annoying when I get your Sabotaging Thought, "fine to eat a whole box..." when that tiny logical part of my brain knows that a whole box is never fine. Yay for steam engines and the engineers who designed them without computers.

maryann - Yep, Kudos indeed for "not eating through the emotions." Can't get the image out of my head of a whole church doing step class, LOL.

nationalparker – Congrats for halting a mess before it got bigger. Yay for "BIG salad" to keep a meal under control.

love2garden - Pachysandra spreads soooo rapidly - DW has it in two place where no other ground cover can survive and has to fight it back every year. Ouch for a high weight - keep the faith, your body will catch up.

Violette_R - Ouch for meetings as a Sabotaging Thought. When I become Czar, all meetings will be conducted standing in order to limit their duration.

p.a. - Congrats on that new scale low reading. Interesting that you're more drawn to eating with happy emotions rather than sad.

Fooy2 - Ouch for the diversion into the wine with Kudos for just moving forward. Re 'Tagging': I don't know of a way to do that; my standard recommendation is to be patient learning the different folks on the thread - we slowly sort out into different people. It's much more important to report progress than it is to make personal responses - so let personals wait until images of individuals emerge. Yay for e-books.

Kilketay - LOL at "I KNOW a lot about nutrition and diet ... I just don't do it consistently" - BTDT.

Laurelei (IamLaurelei) - Kudos for diligently working to get several days in a row with the six success skills. Yep, we serve as Diet Buddies (Green Book) to each other and hope you'll serve that role with us. Have a good trip. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating
People without a weight problem
don't think of eating to feel better.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 227.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #112  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I traveled back over this morning for a 7 am work date. LOL. Life continues "crazy" and my last few days I struggled with food and emotions. This morning I worked on some household chores, putting away my travel stuff and laundry. I know I do better with food when I keep up at home. Credit. I did weigh fully dressed. Of course, saw a higher number but the effort was important. I also balked at making my smoothie but did it anyway. Also found time for my short workout. My Beck routine is important even when it's imperfect.

Welcome Laurelei, kilketay and Fooy2! I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Work calls must run!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

I had an easier day with pop-up cravings -- it helps when my errands are to the bank and the post office. It's nice that there are still two places that don't have snacks available. Well, the bank has lollipops for the kids, but I don't have a problem ignoring them because I would be embarrassed to ask for one!

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +45 565/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, IamLaurelei! This is what happened for me: "I think it will change the way I think which will impact my behavior."
Old 03-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I had a very relaxing day of shopping yesterday. I smile because nothing about the Galleria is relaxing to my DH. (I assume BBE feels the same way). But when I have no tasks to accomplish and the place isn't too crowded I enjoy the pretty window dressing and the people watching. I had my one full meal of the day which included a planned Sees Candy stop. I feel grateful that I go to the round "medium" racks in Nordstrom's Misses department instead of being relegated to the "Woman's" section. I realize that even though I have back slid a little, there was a time when I was over 200 pounds and my options were very limited.

With my history in mind, I looked up some old weights in my past WW books and MFP. 12 years ago I was trying to stay in the 170s and thrilled with 173. I am 3 pounds higher than last year's 158 and have felt like a failure. Really, I am a tremendous success. I have had years of a relatively healthy diet and exercise. At recent physicals, not one Doctor told me to lose weight. I am on no medication and have very low blood pressure. So low, one doctor asked if I worked out. So I wonder, "Why am I so hard on myself?" I am not the woman I want to be but I am certainly not the woman I was. And although this process of detaching from food addiction has not brought me to my numbers goal yet it has given me peace I would not have had if I had given up.

The only path to peace is through the mess, never around. And boy do I muck around in the mess sometimes.

Lexxiss: Funny, I was just this morning thinking about not having my smoothie as planned. But reading your post has convinced me to just drink it and move on.

nationalparker: When work gets so crazy and seeps into family life, I become even more grateful for healthy habits like posting. It keeps the chaos at bay.

Last edited by maryann; 03-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
[B]

Violette_R - Ouch for meetings as a Sabotaging Thought. When I become Czar, all meetings will be conducted standing in order to limit their duration.
It was a teleconference of a statewide professional association with people gathered in various sites across the state talking via webcams. It was scheduled to end at 4 PM and sure enough, come 4 PM we hadn't covered the full agenda. Turns out the teleconference software the state uses automatically shuts down at the scheduled time so you physically cannot extend the meeting. IT WAS AWESOME. "Blah blah blah national headquarters blah blah funding blah blah automation study..." and the screen just went blank. Every meeting should end that way.

I noted that my co-worker brought herself snacks. I'll do that now that I know it's acceptable.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Reading Day 36. Dr. Beck praising me for my progress and for demonstrating how I've taken control of my eating is really dispiriting when on this program, I've GAINED one pound.

I went back and read Dealing with Discouragement. It didn't help.

I'm clearly not ready for Fine Tuning Your Skills. I'm going back to Week 4 and starting over. Maybe even Week 3.

Last edited by Violette_R; 03-14-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #117  

Today's exercise is just cleaning around the place. Went out for breakfast and lunch so supper will be lighter..
Old 03-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Hello All. I'm brand new to 3FC, but not to Beck. 3 years ago, I followed Beck and hit my weight loss goal of 16 pounds (in 16 weeks) and then another 5 past goal. I kept it off for half a year, then it started creeping back up. I'm now 10 over goal.

So I'm restarting. I'm thrilled to have found this group. I'm impressed with how supportive each of you are to each other ... great Beck coaches and buddies. I look forward to joining a group of people who understand and appreciate the Beck approach. Thanks for sharing your journeys and allowing me to join you and share mine.

Ani
Old 03-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #119  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Busy day again - got work done, errands, marketing, healthy dinner. Not 100% op all day ... but 80% ... that's not going to cut it since often I'm about 80% on track. It's that 20% that gets me sidetracked. DH had bought some salmon from Trader Joe's and had it on a fresh salad for dinner and I had some chicken on mine. Made a new homemade dressing with a long list of ingredients but everything I had on hand and dinner was light and healthy.

Looking forward to taking time tomorrow to journal. Not sure why I'm not committing the time to do that more often. Used to be a daily ritual; now, possibly weekly, if that.

Bill - Bypassing that table with all those desserts is a dozen credits, in my eyes. I think I'm going to pre-order the kindle version of the new Beck book. I'll wait unti closer to release date so I can amass a few more $1 credits on waiting for delivery I know, I know...

Weight at ticker. Grr.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #120  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Ani (dailypractice)

Ani (dailypractice)

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about Dr. Judith Beck's book three years ago?

And how did you find our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Closed Thread