Beck Diet For Life/Solution March 2015 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 5 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #61  
persist

S/C/G: 296/286/145

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy distress/dishearten/dissatified/disappointed

Coaches

Checking in this-oops not morning but afternoon-on this first day of Spring Forward, the only sign of Spring so far. Though, to be fair to the Sun, it is shining out there and *seems* brighter and a tad warmer. Kudos to the Earth itself for tilting our hemisphere a little more toward the sun. I await a thaw.

Credit for standing on the scale to see 280 once more. Oh well. I have the mega Dr. appointment day on April 9th. Almost one month away. Dr. Beallor is going to scold me. Last year she suggested I join an anonymous group as it is clear I am physically capable/fine/healthy to lose weight and there are other issues preventing me from doing so. I joined a group and fell away from it. She had a patient who lost over 100lbs via the group. I DREAD seeing her, have her open up her notes on me, and see I may possibly be heavier this time round. What brought this up was a small tangle of conversation in the ceramic kiln room and my friend and I were loading the kiln this morning. She does MMA once a week with her son. She does hot yoga with her daughter. She is one year older than me and over the last year she has toned up. She is now tiny with very fit, muscular legs. I confided to her that in the last week-week and half, I gained 10lb and it's not leaving. I confided my frustration and she counseled... acceptance. She said it's my body type. She said look at my mother, she has the same body type. This made me super sad. I just said NO NO NO to her as she said that and she went on to say she is trying to get her 18yr old daughter to accept her own body and be happy for it. *sigh* I just can't tell anyone in my real life about how I feel about my weight. I can't. Everyone tells me it's ok. People that know me don't care too much about it as I do everything they do and my creative self covers/carries a lot of stuff so the weight never gets mentioned.
I do that to myself too as I can't live in the knowledge of how far up the scale I have gone every minute of the day and yet, when I do start to lose, I will stop it. This board is the only place I can say these things. What a sore spot this is in my psyche/my life. Wow. Well all I can say is when I am progressing on this topic everything feels better. So, for today, I'll choose to do that.

Bye for now.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #62  

Afternoon everyone
Not full credit for yesterday. Had a slip with bread. But ended up at 8000 steps by the end of the day.
Today I have my family coming for supper
Today is going to be a no exercise day - why do I feel guilty about that

Bill good for you for avoiding the food pusher, that's hard to do. I'm an outside person, hate being cooped up. I don't have a car so I bus it and walk when it's -30 lol. So I'm finding it warm at this temp.

Onebyone i hear the sadness in your voice. We can only keep trying. I lost my husband to cancer last May. It's been a very emotional time for me and coming up to one year. I promised him I would take care of myself so I keep going. I joined here 13 yrs ago and havnt gotten very far. But, I keep telling myself where would I be if I didn't keep trying. I do believe at some time something will 'click'. Keep trying,,,,
On a side note I'm a potter and noticed you mentioned loading a kiln...that made me happy to meet a fellow potter!

Ok have to do a few things. Ttyl

Last edited by p.a.; 03-08-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Credit for sticking to plan. I had to make an on the spot decision at sushi whether to eat soy sauce. I was told they had gluten free (wheat free) but it was low sodium. I went ahead and ate the soy. My wheat free pledge for Lent is with the spirit of bread, pasta, cakes etc.. . It was never my intention to go gluten free. God understands. Super credit for not letting my perfectionism give me an excuse to go off plan.

Walked while DS was being adjudicated in piano. Splurged on a beautiful spring scarf and a couple of key basic tees which made me feel pretty and motivated. I love that I now donate well loved clothes that have pilled, faded, etc. . . I have a much lower tolerance of shabby - especially considering the days I had one pair of pants that fit and wore a college sweatshirt everyday that had a stain in the front. If I remember correctly, I had a dress item that used a safety pin and a pair of shoes that were beige scuffed to black.

I have a great deal of compassion for the girl I was and pledge to her to never treat her that way again.

Just remembered a great line: Acceptance is not approval. I can accept what I have to do to reman thin. I don't have to wait until I agree with it.

Wasve to all.

Last edited by maryann; 03-08-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #64  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Today has been up and down - started out great, but then made semi-smart choices and then did well, and then we hit Trader Joe's and the market and didn't get home until close to 8 p.m. Logjam at the market. I was so frustrated as I'd planned to make chicken pot pie on the night I was home, but ended up using the ground turkey sloppy joes and baked beans that were for tomorrow night tonight. I was over hungry by the time I'd put away the cold items and ate so quickly. Credit for one serving of dinner and my sloppy joe on a bagel thin, but splurged with a serving of the low fat chips that I snagged at Trader Joe's that I didn't need. Ate over calories today. I need to do well tomorrow at work with pot pie and salad for dinner tomorrow. We set Date Night for Tuesday - Second Most Exotic Marigold Hotel and dinner at the cajun spot. It's still cold enough to leave my leftover in the car while we're in the theatre.

I wanted to set time for personals but ended up working too much and getting too little done due to computer issues.

Maryann - I like that line of acceptance ... and kudos for working in the activity!

Bill - I am WITH you on the one blow to remove a load of ice - LOVE that feeling. Then bending down and flinging it like a frisbee out of the way. Thought of you in TJoe's as I didn't get the cranberry dunkers - I'd never tried them but when you said you loved them, I thought i was missing out on something magnificent. I'll wait until we'll have company so the tempation isn't facing me too long.

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-08-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi, for the 11th straight day. This included NO snacks from the table of cookies and goodies at the standard gathering. Later I had a rational plated meal from a potluck by filling half my plate with a green lettuce salad with vegetarian choices surrounding that. I avoided the table of desserts so I don't know what I missed (although I did see folks with HUGE muffins on their plates).

Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, with sunshine and a stretch of time above freezing. The ice dams on our roof have become a few percent of their former selves. I am so ready to walk about in a t-shirt.

onebyone Yay for feeling free to discuss weight issues with a real-life friend. Ouch that she counsels acceptance of the status quo instead of acceptance of the difficulties in making changes. Kudos for "progressing on this topic."

Joy (gardenerjoy) Planning to accommodate the time change seems so smart - I've never done that.

CeeJay - Drooling because I'm a sucker for brisket of any kind - perhaps because I usually overeat when I have it. Ouch for the sore muscle - hope it heals up quickly.

maryann - Yay for taking pleasure in a simple scarf and a couple of tees. I envy the notion of discarding clothing just because it's lost its appeal. It's a challenge for me to consider replacing cotton turtle necks after one winter's washing just because they've shrunk and have a disheveled look - they don't have any holes yet, LOL.

nationalparker Yay for flexibility preparing dinner when time got short. [Avoid the cranberry dunkers; they're a gateway drug, LOL.]

p.a. - Sending supportive thoughts as you anticipate the anniversary of the passing of your husband. Kudos for those 8000 steps.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

Just about everyone with a weight problem eats for emotional reasons from time to time. One dieter I worked with, Pam, ate when she was anxious or sad. Patricia ate when she felt overwhelmed. Robert ate when he was lonely or bored. Lucy ate when she was angry.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 227.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #66  
persist

S/C/G: 296/286/145

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up another kick at the can

Coaches

The funeral yesterday was tough, but not in the "everyone was so distraught" kind of way. The man that died was a miserable SOB from all accounts. I know his daughter, who before my BIL came along, surrendered all of her paychecks (full time job in banks since she could work) to her parents and after her mother died to her father. She was given $300/month from her pays. She carried a lot of extra weight until a year or so ago. She is now trim and looks good. I am happy she is relatively young and free of her parents. Though it takes more than not having them around to be free of course. I also heard that he, as a boy of 7, was removed from his parental home in the 40's, and though his parents never took him back in, they refused to allow him to be adopted out, as his sister had been who was also removed. The parents wanted the boy to retain the family name. People. Sad tales are everywhere if you look for them, as are triumphs over circumstance. I want that. I want to triumph. For today, this is very helpful and is a new response card. My goal is to re-write the cards today. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

I got myself to bed at a reasonable time but couldn't fall asleep. Sigh. But, I woke up before the alarm, so I'm going to consider that good for the first night after the time change. Things will only get better from here!

Spring apparently arrived here on Saturday morning. I went into that meeting wearing a coat and came out carrying it! I walked twice yesterday to celebrate -- both times with just a hoodie for a jacket.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +60 400/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: this is the only place I can talk about weight loss and disordered eating and get any sensible response. I have friends who struggle and some who are successful, but they don't have an overarching structure like Beck. Instead, they think I need to do what they're doing (Paleo in one case, vegetarian in another, OA in a third). I feel like I'm better at listening and encouraging because my experience on this thread lets me accept any healthy plan as workable for someone and no plan, including mine, as workable for everyone.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Happy Monday coaches!
The brisket was... really fatty, ick. Maybe it was too cheap a cut of meat, but I do not want to eat that again. DH means well and I'm grateful he does some cooking, but he just doesn't get it that the rest of us do not like fatty cuts of meat, this is a recurring issue. I think he belongs in the 1940s with some of his food choices sometimes (not brisket, but generally- foods with lots of butter, cream etc).

I can't get my ticker to change, everytime I try to delete a number I get bounced out, so I guess I will just leave it. But I am back to 152, yikes. Get back to better habits curly!!

Gardenerjoy- its an inside leg issue, so that's probably not it, but thanks for the idea! everything seems more susceptible to injury as we age!
p.a.- so sorry to hear about your loss. I keep telling myself where would I be if I didn't keep trying. Yes, that is a great sentiment!
onebyone-ooh, that does not sound like a helpful conversation. glad you have this board as an outlet!

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-09-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #69  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I am really struggling this morning. Stressful time at work with computer issues by entire department. That doesn't alleviate the stress as our data is taking about 15x longer to calculate and will be a long day. I've reached into my desk drawer and purse every 20 minutes or so, looking for something to nosh on. So far, damage has been so-so ... 100 cal package of cashews which I seem to get fewer of those than of the almonds, so those won't be purchased for me again. 60 cal of chocolate. AND a half cup of quaker oat cereal that has been in my desk for about two weeks or more. I have soup for lunch and want to go buy a half of a sandwich to go along with it just because. I didn't think I needed a sandwich this morning when I left the house. I'm breathing shallowly and more stressed than I need to about something that is completely out of our control, but data was to be released today and it will be hours late. The sun will still set and will rise again in the morn. Right!?!

Just wanted to vent and talk myself out of the half sandwich. The slow soupspoons of hot soup will slow me down a bit. Hopefully. The box of donuts around the corner hasn't extended its siren call yet. Neither have the girl scout cookies around here.

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-09-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: remembered something else i snagged
Old 03-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #70  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker Sympathy for office stress!!! Those horrible deadlines can really rev up the anxiety, even worse when computer won't work right. (I'm now retired and can relax but didn't till I was 70. Still learning to let go issues that really are not that important.

1x1 Your many whirling thoughts about the funeral sound as if you were torn between celebrating the man's life's suffering being over, and the pity for him and those related to him.

Good idea to re-write those cards.

Bill 11 straight? Good for you. I'd like to string those together, too.

MaryAnn Your description of former way of dressing certainly brings to mind the similar actions I did. The beautiful scarf was a good way to celebrate being a better person. Lent: how hard it can be for us to let go the perfectionist way of thinking about what we are doing and thinking. I love Beck's suggestion "Let it go."

P.A. Glad to hear you are going to take good care of yourself as you promised your husband last year. Sometimes we need to do that for a loved one, and perhaps eventually we'll learn to do the care taking for ourselves.

Just came in from over 1-1/2 hours of gardening in SUNSHINE! All snow gone from our yard and temps in the 50's. Lots of bending, raking, carrying stuff from one place to another. Lenten Roses have beautiful deep pink buds and flowers showing now that I cut away all of last year's darkened foliage to expose that beauty.

Pleased my back is still strong enough for lots of bending and have no pain or even discomfort. The sore muscles will show up later this evening however. That will remind me that I'm also building stronger muscles toward gardening chores later.

Some wire cages are up for the Peoney's to rely on for support. Also a fence around my precious group of Cinnamon Ferns so that neither of us step there, nor the man from Davey Tree when he comes to put special deep in the ground fertilizer for our trees and shrubs. A yearly chore.

Don't think of food when I'm in the garden. So grateful for today. Lots of plans for ways to make garden even better and adding some new vines for the trellis that DH put up today.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Today I read about drinking. I admit that I struggle with this one, especially loosened inhibitions while inebriated. It even appears to aggravate my sinusitis, which I hate. Yet I keep drinking.

At least it's warming up enough to get outside. I walked a little over eleven miles this weekend.

Last edited by Violette_R; 03-09-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/167/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Credit accepting that living a healthy life takes a lot of effort and time. I think I should be doing other things than cleaning, making my lunches for the week, deciding on work outfits for the week, prayer, meditation, working with others, going to my son's band performance, writing bday cards, etc. . . Each of the activities is a choice which reflects my values. What other things would I want to do? Surf the internet, shop, lay on the couch, watch a movie, work more days a week? I am not sure why I hang myself on a hook for good choices. Where does this "I should do more" feeling come from?

The answer I get is balance. A healthy life is not a race to the finish. I can't lose the rest of my weight today. I can't mend broken family relationships when I didn't break them. I can't work off my anxiety. I must do a little everyday, stay present everyday. I must balance my food. today I am still on plan. Walk planned. Salad for dinner. I will feed my son and drive him to events. I cleaned the bathrooms but didn't get to dust and vacuum. I guess I can live with that.

Just random thoughts but I want to stay present with this feeling of discontent when I am on track. It might be a key to why I run off track.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 03-09-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #73  

I'm here late today, spent the afternoon walking outside ...everything is melting. I finally got to take the winter layer off.
Exercise- yes
Low carbs- yes
Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #74  

Smile New recruit

An amazing journey brought me to this book, the Beck Diet Solution. It makes sense and beside enjoying the read have taken on so much already. I thought I would reply to this thread for diet coaches, with the intent to join into a conversation with others that understand this journey. I am fortunate to have a happy and healthy family, but they are rather tired of my conversation at times!
I am so proud of exercising my resistance muscle, and giving credit for avoiding foods. I do love to drink wine and have been following the same rules about that.

Being new I can't have a signature yet- from Broome Western Australia. Lucky to live near the sea in a tropical location so it is either warm or raining. Love riding bikes and work full-time.

Thanks everyone- please direct me if this is the wrong forum or if the March coaching is full.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome Fooy2

Fooy2

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Closed Thread