Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
bleagh! I resisted the brownies yesterday- actually I discovered someone got rid of them so no real credits there, but I didn't get into anything else at that point. I did snack a bit last night so no credits for that at all!!
And just now I just ate something sweet with lots of butter and sugar- its been sitting in the fridge for weeks and I ignored it until now. I need to STOP opening the fridge at work!! Now I am feeling bleagh and disgusted with myself.
I did toss the rest of it out (no one else has touched it and won't miss it) and thought about pouring soap on as Maryann has done!

I am bored, depressed with never ending winter and looking for excuses to eat.I feel like I would do better if I could go on vacation, preferably by myself!
And I seem to have injured my leg and shoulder at the gym, so I need to stop going for a bit, which bums me out too.
okay, enough whining- I will aim to do something productive over the weekend to feel better in some way.

p.a- welcome back! I always forget how long this website has been here, it is really great that it is so longlived.
gardenerjoy-"I want to accomplish an important and difficult feat" - that's a great advantage to write down, I will remember that.
Bill- good for you for getting your walks in despite just about anything! I look forward to being able to walk outside when the sidewalks can be seen again.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-06-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #47  

Height: 5' 2"

FINALLY, we have enough snow off internet satellite to be able to get here!!!
Power stayed on, but we still can't get cars out of driveway yet. I'm house bound and starting to feel it. love to read, but am now finding even that can't make up for being stuck in the house so much. Down in the dumps as anyone can see.

DGS's family needs prayers badly. She is in bad health and pregnant with their twins. So concerned about her that I can't think of much else.

CurlyJax I'm in the same boat with you and gave in to a toasted english muffin with real Amish butter on it, then without TV (snow issues) I don't even remember eating or enjoying it. Grrrrrr.

I envy Bill's walks, and hope with anticipated warm up coming that I can get outside to walk soon. (Must be 45 deg or warmer to enable asthma to let me walk. Enough pity party.

May each of you resist what destroys health and reach for what builds health.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #48  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Decent effort today ... ended just under 1,500 calories and wish it was less but ... made choices throughout the day that added up. Skipped the office donuts (credit) and got DH a treat dinner from Boston Market with the one splurge of sweet potato casserole. He's working nights and typically eats only a small breakfast at 7 p.m. or so and then his "dinner" around midnight or a bit later, so he does end up with a buffer on these days. I bypassed everything there for myself, which was hard, but credit.

Last night I vented to DH that I haven't felt as bad about myself in a long time as I do now - and thought, enough! Get a haircut, get moving, put effort into my wardrobe again, get out of the winter doldrums that I'm in. Step #1 tonight - sugar scrub in shower to get rid of peeling post sunburned skin ... Step #2 - take the time to journal and make new advantages card. Interesting how many of us are feeling the winter blahs!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #49  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Quick check in Coaches.

Weight back up to 282 today. Getting depressing. Had a better food day. Just feel discouraged.Nothing to do but keep going.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Set clocks forward tonight for Daylight Savings tomorrow

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was 100% on-plan, CREDIT moi. At the supermarket I encountered raisin bread on super sale. Had to remind myself that raisin bread is 'darkened' white bread with sugar and raisins. But warm childhood memories kept flooding in, so I had to remind myself that half-price wasn't an excuse for buying it - actually I can afford to buy a loaf next week at full price if that's what I want.

Little exercise for no good reason. I worked a bit on taxes - one of the unpleasant tasks in my life. CREDIT moi for failing to avoid it.

onebyone – Yep, "keep going" is the only option. It's cabin fever day on this Beck Forum.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a scale drop after a salty dish.

nationalparker – Kudos for recognizing a list of actions that you can take to feel better. Double Kudos for getting out of Boston Chicken with your eating plan in place - that place seduces me.

curlyjax - Actually you get FULL credit for not eating brownies even if you had help from your friends. So FULL Kudos for not eating those brownies. Yep, cabin fever is getting to us all.

love2garden - Sending supportive thoughts for you and your DGS's family - hope it all work out. Welcome to the cabin fever club. I've been told that spring will happen despite the continued freeze.

p.a. - Guessing that GFTD means 'Goals for the Day.' Kudos for "GFTD- stay on plan - walk at least 30 mins" - hope it works out.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

what are you thinking?
Vacations are ripe for sabotaging thoughts. Prepare for them now, so you can convincingly respond to them in the moment. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: It's not fair that I can't eat whatever I want when I'm on vacation.
Helpful Response: That's true. It's not fair. But I can't have it both ways. I can't eat whatever I want without gaining a significant amount of weight. I've worked hard to lose weight so far. It's not worth it to eat uncontrollably and lose a lot of ground.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 225.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #51  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile the tried and true

Coaches

I'm on the verge of getting a cold. Today I am staying home to rest. Do not want a cold

Credit for continuing to weigh this body. Today saw 279. Yay. I predict 277 for Monday. My history tells me that when I get sick, or am trying not to get sick, my weight goes up, so maybe that is part of what is going on. I am just happy to see the numbers fall once more.

Also, good news Coaches. DH finally made arrangements to take care of what we owe on the taxes. It took a bit of ambushing him on my part but afterwards, after he dealt with it, he was happy, even cheerful. I did not say "I told you so" BIG CREDIT. Now, to wrestle his current tax information slips away from him to make sure we file on time this year. Never again do we fall behind. CREDIT MOI.

Come to think of it, the weightloss this morning was probably getting the whole tax business off of my back! Yay.

Hey! I just heard some Canada Geese honking.They're coming back aka Spring will come. OK. That was good!

Last edited by onebyone; 03-07-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #52  
Green Tomatoes

I ran errands while hungry yesterday. I never do that because running errands used to be my biggest cue for binges. I had a good, satisfying snack planned, so I took the chance. It worked. I ignored lots of food. It's such a relief that I don't even notice things like candy at check-out counters any more (years of "It's not about me" paid off). The only real temptation was from the aroma of one of the food stands at the mall, which I smelled from half-a-block and a floor away. But I never went any where near the actual food stand, so that helped.

My snack when I got home was yummy and satisfying.

Today's challenge is an all-morning meeting. Last time I had one of these, I ended up talking to some people, then going out to lunch with them, then talking some more -- and it turned into an all-day meeting! I've got other things to do today, so I'm pledging to come home for lunch. There will likely be snacks available at this meeting, so I'm also pledging to ignore them and stay as far away as possible. Fortunately, I've been assigned a job--that always helps!

WI: -0.05 kg (new low), Exercise: +40 280/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #53  

Height: 5' 2"

GardenerJoy Meetings! *&%#@ Most should last less than an hour and let us get on with our lives. Hope your day allows you to do more what you count as important

Credit: Slept very well and feel like myself today. Credit: Savored every bite of breakfast. Credit: Going to gym in less than an hour.

1x1 So glad you feel the deserved relief that past taxes are truly in the past and now can move into the now. Reminding me that I need to sort and prepare our tax information to meet with accountant very soon.

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? this one is perfect for most of us today as we feel as if good weather is never going to come. Finally some snow is falling off shrubs that are bent down to ground, street shows pavement, and the sabotaging thoughts are long gone.

NationalParker sounds as if you, too, are ready to get out of the dumps and move on to better thoughts and actions. We can do it!!!

Bill like your thought process on the raisin bread purchase. Hopefully by next week you won't even be tempted (altho the smell of that kind of toast makes me hungry)

Back to following the Beck path to better thoughts and behavior.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #54  

Yesterday was a good day
Did i stay on plan.....yes
Did i reread my book....yes
Did i make a plan for walking today.....yes
So far so good
Right now im at the waterfront. I walked , window shopped, walked a but more, grabbed a london fog tea and sitting outside enjoying the view. Now you have to realize its about 30 degrees F and everything frozen covered in snowbut itsall good .

Last edited by p.a.; 03-07-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Using the DSM V, I used to have Binge Eating Disorder and currently have OSFED (BED of low frequency.) This obviously is going to take a lot of work and I would consult a professional had therapists proved any help in the past and if I had geographical access to a clinician who specializes in treating BED with CBT. They have not and I do not.

Anyway, one of my issues is that no matter how much I eat, I rarely feel satisfied and when I do, I just want to eat again within a short amount of time. I just always want to eat. I had a bit of an epiphany today where I realized "hey, genius - if you're going to be unhappy no matter what, stop eating when you hit your calorie limit and be unhappy while losing weight!" Which sounds awful, but really - if eating 3,000 calories doesn't make me not hungry, I may as well stop at 1,200. I'm going to be anxious and p----d off either way, so I may as well lose weight while anxious and p-----d off.

Last edited by Violette_R; 03-07-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Default Good Evening, Coaches.

Finally a break in the action. School has been frenetic. Three fights caused by early spring fever and a 400 kid reading celebration. Plus I have been working with AA women and shuttling DS to piano adjudication. Super credit for sticking to fast throughout yesterday. Will the regime of two fast days a week and no wheat move the scale down? The good part of the plan is that I seem to be able to stick to it. The other good part is it stemmed the increasing scale. I'm committed through Lent. Weight a pound above ticker. Another big plus is that I have been coming off hormones without too much problem and I think that is thxs to no wheat.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #57  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Stuck to my plan today - larger lunch and smaller dinner and smoothie for breakfast. Did not sleep well last night - stayed up too late and just couldn't turn my mind off to drift off smoothly. Scale one pound below ticker.

Got my hair cut today - one step, even though it was just a $10 deal at the local quickie shop. I will tackle more of the office work in the morning so it's not hanging over my head all day.

Amazes, frustrates - not sure the word - that there is big hullabaloo here to allow alcohol stores to sell alcohol here until 4 a.m. to ensure they have the same number of hours to sell it with the time change. No one has anything more important to do despite all of the crime around here. I kid you not.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Daylight Savings Time begins (in most US States)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included picking up baby carrots for my lunches. I'm addicted to gnawing on them and counting them as zero calories (in my private calorie counting scheme). I chipped ice from our sidewalk; it was that perfect moment when one blow makes the ice burst from the sidewalk and attached ice sheet. A most satisfying chore.

Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi, continuing on a streak. This included dinner with friends served family style where I ate . . . rationally. When there were only 2 vegetarian spring rolls left, the hostess said she'd take one if someone else would take the other. I said nothing. Then the host said that he'd eat half of the last one if someone else would take the other half. I said nothing again. An additional CREDIT moi for avoiding the role of appeaser by eating food.

onebyone – Super Kudos for failing to say "I told you so" - I suspect that long marriages are built on not saying that. I love the sound of Canada Geese honking; love the big V flying overhead; I'm not so fond of the geese themselves.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always Kudos for surviving a meeting without wallowing in the food provided.

maryann - Such a happy thought - 400 kids celebrating reading. Yep, Kudos for sticking to your fast.

nationalparker – Kudos for getting a hair cut - that's a lot of happy for a small price. LOL at the need for the same number of hours of alcohol sales; I assume that they've volunteered to cut sales by one hour when daylight savings ends to prevent an extra hour of sales. My mind boggles at the notion of The Law of Conservation of Alcohol Sales Hours.

love2garden - Yep, Kudos for getting the proper sleep.

Violette_R - I wish you well in finding a CBT therapist who works well with you. You've clearly worked out how to use the CBT Beck Strategies to figure out that eating won't make you happy and that you can make a different choice.

p.a. - Congrats for sitting outside in 30F to enjoy your tea - that's being hearty. Kudos for all the credits.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel
. . Once I accept that I have to follow
through with my vacation diet strategy,
. . . . . . .dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 226.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
i went to the gym friday and thought maybe i could do the elliptical - now my leg hurts even more, bummer! its not a sore muscle type thing, but a painful maybe tendon thing? i'm never sure if should stretch it or not. just need to wait it out. i always get cross when i get injured trying to do something healthy!

I went to bed feeling a bit peckish so credit for that. Today is grocery shopping day so i will plan to get some good veggies- i have been craving a cauliflower au gratin type of thing. DH is trying out a new recipe for brisket so we'll see how that goes. It has beer in it- i don't like to drink beer but i like food cooked in it!

Nationalparker- too funny about the alcohol sales! I guess there must be a lot of action at 4:00 am!

Happy sunday all!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

I came home for lunch as planned -- late, but I got here! CREDIT. I got in an hour's worth of walking to facilitate an early bedtime so that I wouldn't be too out of whack with the time change this morning. And, I don't seem to be. CREDIT for thinking about that a week ahead of time and doing what I identified would help. I'm grateful to the self of several years ago who was miserable with a time change and scribbled down some ideas of what might help. They work!

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +60 340/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Violette_R: one of the things I like about CBT is that it works great for a DIY approach. And, I think, you're an excellent therapist for yourself. Recognizing that your level of distress is the same at 1200 as 3000, sounds just like something a therapist would come up with. And, who knows? You may find, after a while, that things improve from that change, even though you don't expect them to. One of my newest Advantages cards says "Being in control of my addictive behaviors makes everything in my life better." I think I stole that from maryann. It seems to be true for me.

curlyjax: if the tendon problem is on the outside of the leg, look up Iliotibial Band Syndrom (ITBS). I have that and it means I can't run. Fortunately, when I don't have a flare-up, I can walk without problems. The elliptical is okay for me, but not during a flare-up. During a flare-up, I'm best with a stationery bike or walking on the soft surface of a treadmill.
Closed Thread