Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #241  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

So much for trying to cut down on the pain medication. It is just too early. I'm still so sore that I moan when I try to move my arm in the bed at night. New plan, keep pain under control for a bit. It also helps my mental outlook. It won't be long till I can do more. I made the bed today and dressed myself and although it isn't fast, I can do it.

I've got to find something new to read and I will do that today. My friends husband told me about a book written by a women who walked/hiked five different journeys. I may try to find that or call him and ask him the name of it. Even though I can't get out there and do that right now, I enjoy reading about it.

Onebyone I hope your cold is better soon. I had one a couple of weeks ago but it was mild compared to others, I hope you are as lucky.

Gardenerjoy Holy, moly snow? I think it's going to be in the low 90's here this weekend, not that I want to see that this early.

Daily practice Seems like you're doing really well, except for a few peanuts. I have really tried to realize that hunger will pass and it does. I haven't felt too hungry this past week and I am so glad.

BBE Thank goodness for dry clothes at home. The walk in the rain sounds exhilarating and even kind of fun, that being said by one who won't hike in the rain. If I had hiked in the rain last Thursday I wouldn't have been in the garage, cleaning the car and tripping over the dog.

Nationalparker Losing 10 pounds by cutting back like you did last year, is exactly what I'm going to try to do. Keeping busy will be a problem but I hope knowing I don't need the calories for fuel will counteract that. You sound to be very busy. I hope you can have a little down time on the weekend.

Spanky All of us know about starting again. Being on steroids is quite a challenge. Good for you for being any where near your redline.

I've found that by placing the keyboard on the lower shelf on the desk in the office I can type quite easily. Much better than trying to use my lap top.

Take care everybody and watch your step.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #242  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Thought I'd post thoughts here and then personals this evening! Weight still at ticker, and while I'm happy it's not higher, I'm frustrated that I am not getting my act together to get it down a bit.

DH's older daughter is coming by tonight to pick up a queen bed that is in our guest room. I've decided to not "save" a room for guests (and it's a pet room in the meantime), as the bed takes up nearly all of the room. So she'll get that and I'll send along a flannel sheet set as well. It should open it up enough for me to put in my mom's wicker glasstop table and rocking chairs from Italy. I LOVE them but now they're just more stuff crammed in another room. Nice to move some things along, but it's an old bed, so I told DH to remind her that it's just a stopgap until she can afford one, not for years of use. I'm excited to feel like we're moving forward a bit.

Friday so that means it's donut Friday in the office, and these are bakery donuts (from a bakery, not a grocery store bakery) ... and there are five left, every single one of which looks scrumptious. I'm really struggling. I walked over with a knife to cut one in half and then thought, NO NO NO. WHY do I think about it so long. Bringing in Beck's thought of "No choice" I have no choice but to stay on plan. Stayed on track for lunch, bypassing the lunch out with coworkers to the same place I took DH earlier this week with the delectable fries.

Snow flurries today, and instead of moaning about it (as a friend is out in Arizona and boasting of the wonderful temps), I am going to be okay with hunkering down and putting a fire in, baking something in the oven for dinner, and just being cozy.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches,

Finished work for the week which feels great. This morning, I have done wonderful, enjoyable activities that would be impossible if I was working full time: church, walk, step class, cooking a nice breakfast for DS, dishes, grinding popcorn into corn meal for tonite's Cooking Light "cranberry orange bread." These activities not only help our home run smoothly but relax me after the "after burn" of my highly emotional job. I am grateful for our employment (thinking good thoughts for curlyjax). I know we are lucky especially for me to have health insurance with a 60% position. A gratitude list always puts things into perspective.

Day 7 of 7,12,6, one smoothie, no wheat. I am actually posting here as part of my distraction technique because I am hungry - real hunger, not craving. One half hour to lunch. It is ironic how I will forestall eating for shopping in a mall, sewing, travel but if I am home, I think about the kitchen and suddenly resisting because a monumental effort. Good to remember, hunger is not an emergency. DS has had an "off" tummy for several days. I find myself anxious that he only ate a half puff pancake and apple all day and a little pork and beans and night. I am transferring my food addiction stuff on him. He is a normal eater, a good weight, active, happy. What an example of my constant belief WE EAT TOO MUCH in this society. A small bowl of food a few times a day is what most of the world eats.

So glad to have awareness which comes from my willingness today to be uncomfortable.

Just checked out audiobook: The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Can't wait to listen to it while I clean the house tomorrow. Thematic.

dailypractice: The hunger tolerance exercise (all day) was tough for me. I wonder if it would still be tough now that I have practiced eating only three meals a day.

Last edited by maryann; 03-27-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #244  

Evening everyone
I feel like I've been scarce the last couple of days,,,no excuses.
Today was a better eating day and got a nice walk in to.
Snowed again,,,tired of that.

Maryanne good idea to come here for distraction
National parked good for you passing on the donuts!
Karenrn that sounds like an interesting book
Onebyone feel better

Off for the night. Take care everyone
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #245  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Folk dancing for exercise, CREDIT moi, where the snack table contained ten items. I had none. That meant skipping the homemade gingerbread that was calling loudly. I also had to skip grabbing a Brazil Nut from the bowl of mixed nuts. Since I never get Brazil Nuts at home and am aware that they have some micro-nutrient that isn't found in any other nut, I've developed the habit of having one from any bowl of mixed nuts. Maybe that's a good nutrition idea, maybe not. But, last night I chose to avoid the snack as I was aware that a whole table of food contained nutrition-defendable choices. An hour of shuffling stuff in the basement burned a few more calories.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi. The salad at dinner included sliced mini-cukes - I don't know where they're from, but DW had bought them from Whole Foods to try. They're fine; like English cukes they don't have to be peeled for a salad for DW. For me, it isn't necessary to peel standard cukes with waxed thick skin - it's all good.

onebyone – Ouch for "phooeys and achhoos" when you're too busy to mess with them. Super Kudos for chicken soup from scratch.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for March snow even if it doesn't stick. DW and I hauled the grill from the basement - we're beginning to believe.

maryann - So interesting that ignoring hunger is easy when occupied yet seems overwhelming when watching the clock waiting for a meal. E-mailing chicken soup to your DS to settle that stomach.

spanky - Yep, coming back when you don't feel like it is the wise way to get started. Kudos for moving forward. I do like seeing your surfing pup Avatar.

nationalparker – Yep, Kudos indeed for ignoring bakery donuts even while wielding a knife to provide the impeccable Sabotaging Thought, If I cut it, it won't be a whole one. Congrats for getting that queen sized bed into another home to make yourself some room.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for a realistic approach to your pain medication. Neat idea to read about the hikes you wish you were taking.

p.a. - I do understand being tired of the snow. DW asked me to move all the snow shovels to our basement - "We're done."

Ani (dailypractice) - Those few minutes before a meal when the smells are so pleasant do raise the feeling of hunger. Kudos for sitting down to stay mindful.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

do you eat emotionally?
Emotional eating involves a desire to distract yourself from an unpleasant feeling. When you find yourself eating for a reason other than true hunger, ask yourself, How was I just feeling emotionally?
  • Was I feeling sad, lonely, worried?
  • Was I feeling at loose ends, unsettled, bored?
  • Was I trying to avoid doing something I didn't want to do?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 229.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #246  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Starting here this morning. It will be a 7 hour road trip with DH & DS across the state to visit a business DH is interested in buying. This could be quite tense and I'm trying to think of food choices that aren't utterly ridiculous.

Will restart the Pink Beck book as we drive and make a grocery list. Will bring yarn and needles. Will do what I can today.

Saturdays are weigh in for me and I'm actually a pound down. Pure luck.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #247  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Dear coaches-
popping in to say thanks so much for all the kind words. I have always been an anxious, obsessive person so I am making myself crazy thinking about job options. Should i grab the first thing that comes along that has good health insurance coverage? I think my best bet is to stay put in my current job unless something else fabulous comes up in the agency, because once you change you can't go back. If they could add a few more hours i could qualify for cheaper health insurance, but i don't know if that is possible. I've always had a great relationship with my supervisor but i don't trust anyone right now (hmm wonder why??) Maybe DH will end up with a part time job and then I will need to do full time, but it is impossible to predict anything. Hopefully he will find something full-time. I have no problem working full-time myself, but its hard to juggle the kids needs in there too, and i need a flexible schedule.
I just need to trust that things will work out, but that is so not me

So that is my life right now! The good news is I am not currently overeating about it anyhow, my weight remains stable.

I am reading you all and enjoying the posts as usual.

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-28-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #248  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post last minute snuggle time

Coaches

Hi. Caesar's sleeping on my lap as I write this. We are having last minute snuggles before I start my day which includes a trip to the guild to check in and see if any more prints arrived for the print show later this week. he worst part of going away, even overnight, is leaving my cat alone. It kills me. He's so super-affectionate and he always wants to be where we are. It's just one night but it's always my biggest concern.

*credit for weighing. 279. If I don't get it together soon I may go back to WW though I'm not keen on that. The last time I had started to really lose I was there. And then my brother died and I regained what I lost +10 last year and I don't lose it for longer than a few days. I dream a lot about my brother. It's obviously still affecting me, the loss of him in my world.

All I can do is plan to do better and keep showing up, keep trying. This is my only mission this year, to keep going until it sticks. And it will. I have plenty of good examples here on this board of what to do. I need to ask for the willingness to do it daily whatever the results.

Have a pleasant op Saturday.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #249  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today's challenge is a family gathering. We're celebrating Easter early to accommodate the schedule of a college student. "Supper" is at 3pm. So, I've planned just one "snack" for the day at our more normal supper time--fairly substantial but mostly vegetables so I think that should work. At the family gathering, I'll ignore all snacks (unless the nephew with the gourmet tastes is there and provides something that meets the rare and unusual criteria--and, then, just a taste), focus on veggies, and take only tiny servings of everything else.

This is happening at a stressful time for us and some of the family relationships have deteriorated in recent years. But not all, so we'll focus our energies on the people who seem to like them and attempt to ignore the rest.

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +25 1120/1300 minutes for March, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

spanky: good for you for starting again with the book. That makes all the difference for me.

onebyone: oh, sorry for the cold! That's misery.

karenrn: I hope you find a good regimen for pain management. I broke my collar bone once and discovered that I could manage the pain during the day, but definitely needed help at night!
Good idea to read about hiking.

nationalparker: for me, donuts were the worst. I had cravings for them 10 months after I eliminated junk foods from my diet. That cemented in my mind that donuts were one food I really did want to eliminate forever. Donuts are the only thing I have on that list. Now, it's more fun to say that I haven't had a donut since August of 2009 than it would be to eat a donut.

maryann: Sounds like a wonderful Friday with soul-feeding activities.

p.a.: yay for a better eating day!

BillBlueEyes: good for you for resisting both homemade and nutritional at a snack table! That's hard work.

spanky: road trips are hard for me because I rarely eat fast food. What's worked for me recently are one of these three things:
  • split a "Beach Club" and chips at Jimmy John's with DH (and make sure we throw away some of the chips). There are at least some veggies on that sandwich.
  • a grilled chicken wrap at McDonalds (they sell it on their snack menu as if it isn't enough for a meal, but it is) and a few of DH's fries. I suppose I should get the salad at McDs, but they never seem worth the price, so I just eat more veggies when I get home.
  • a packed lunch to eat at a rest stop

curlyjax: it's always hard for me in situations where I feel like I must think through every possiblity, even when I'm still waiting for any possibility to present itself. It's much easier when there's a specific thing to think through, but I can't stop myself from fretting about all the scenarios, anyway. Distraction is about the only thing that helps when I decide that I've gone too far into the realm of driving myself crazy.

onebyone: thinking of you today as you think of your brother and during your overnight trip.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-28-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #250  

Morning everyone
Getting here earlier this morning. That was my plan. I have my granddaughter coming for supper and a sleepover. We are going to make pizzas. If I make them homemade I can control the fats, sodium and calories!

Curlyjax im sorry for your dh's job situation..my dh went thru that as well later in life. It's scary and I will be sending good thoughts to you.
Onebyone travel safe
Bill nice going avoiding snacks
Spanky hi! Hope your trip goes well
Gardener joy happy easter!

Ok off to the store getting some walking in while I'm at it.
Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Yay for such an lively group of Beck coaches

Hello Coaches
Wow. So many postings to read. This is fantastic! ...To hear from so many Beck coaches!

GardenerJoy: Wishing you a moderate Easter in spite of the stresses. And thanks for the road trip hints: I’m taking note: MacD’s grilled chicken wrap or packing a lunch. BTW. Every day that I read your post, I like the way you summarize the one-liner about how you’re doing: weight, exercise, reading. I gotta start doing that! Curious: why your weight is in kg. My bf yesterday was wondering what he weighed in “stone”, so we looked it up. Seems only in the U.S. do we still use pounds. … Thanks also very much for your helpful advise in helping my friend. I like your statement: “It’s not about willpower, it’s about strategy” and the idea that the structures that work in one area transfer to others. Thanks for that.

Spanky: Kudos for ordering the book. I also (finally) ordered the pink book and am going through it page by page. The thing about Beck is the first two weeks are lots of reading with nothing said about eating LESS. Other tasks instead … reading the book, writing advantages, rereading them daily, finding a coach (yay we all have this group at 3FC), choosing a diet, never eating while standing etc. Your road trip sounds like a good time to start. And knitting. Excellent idea. My best to you.

Onebyone: First, so so sorry to learn about the loss of your brother. My heart goes out to you. And what a bummer about your cold. I hope it abates in time for you to fully enjoy the art sessions. It really helps me to read what you wrote to “keep showing up”. I now and then go to OA and the message there is “Keep coming back”. So, OnebyOne, let me say “I’m glad you’re here, Keep coming back.” BTW … I got a chuckle out of your “noodles for my own amusement.”

Karen: Kudos for seeking out interesting things to read while you’re unable to exercise as much as you’d like. Thanks for the inspiring words “I have really tried to realize that hunger will pass and it does.” I hope you find creative solutions to the “Keeping busy” challenge.

Nationalparker: Kudos on keeping your weight at ticker. But I know what you mean about being frustrated wishing for lower. Grrrr. And donuts? What a massive challenge. I echo what others have said that donuts are the toughest. Without a doubt. Kudos to you for whatever amount of resistance you ended up being able to demonstrate. I have to be thankful that I work from home and am not thrown into such challenging environments. Wishing you strength.

Maryann: Hearing you express such gratitude is so refreshing. Thanks for the example you set, reminding me to pay attention to the good things in my life. Good idea to use posting on 3fc as a distraction technique when hungry. I’ll have to try this. And thanks for the reminder that “hunger is not an emergency.” And I’ll add “Craving is not an emergency” either. And let us know what you think of the audiobook. It sounds interesting.

P/A Good to hear from you, and to hear you say that today was a better day and that you also got some walking in. All good! Kudos to you.

Bill: Kudo for scoring 0 for 10 on the (loud) snack table of “nutrition-defendable” choices. Great phrase! My thinking also goes that way in such situations, and at this point in my resistance muscle training, I find I frequently can’t resist. What helps me is if I’m able to remember my plan and to remember the phrase “no if’s and’s or but’s”

curlyjax: It’s gotta be tough to sort through all your options. Sounds like you’re doing a thoughtful job of sorting through the possibilities. I like your final thought “I just need to trust that things will work out, but that is so not me” I sure have found that there are things I thought was “so not me” that it turned out I was able to manage. Kudos to you for not overeating amidst all this.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #252  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

This morning I found myself silently screaming at the universe "Obviously, there has been a mistake!" The scale is three pounds above ticker and I have been true to plan for a week. An injustice has been committed. So I marched right into the kitchen ready to eat whatever I wanted for breakfast. Then I took the last day of ear infection stuff ( thank goodness) and remembered that coming off the medication from last month is causing transitional havoc in my body. And I remembered that if I eat whatever I want today I will not be able to see what happens once I get off said medication and return to normal because I will have gained justifiable pounds. Sound now I am writing here willing to hang around for the act.

Then a small voice of gratitude rose up inside of me that said "What would have happened to the scale if you had NOT been on plan during this time?" Wow.

So, it was a big morning.

Just for today, I will stay on plan, eat healthy and see what happens next.

gardenerjoy: I am always struck suspicious by what McDonald's labels a snack. Also Taco bell's promotion of "the fourth meal." Proves our conspiracy theory of the food industry.

BBE: Wondering if anyone else counted the number of snacks at the table or checked to see for a specific nut. You are probably in the right place posting here.

Onebyone: WW is a sound program. Could be a good idea.

p.a. Glad you are back on track.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Arrow Completed day 13: Overcome Cravings

Overcome Cravings
So far this is tough. I hope it gets better SOON. I'm impressed to read postings from those of you who are farther along and have worked hard to increase your abilities to face temptations and hold strong. (like those of you with workplaces that make it tough)

My main strategy at this point is to avoid tough situations, which isn't too hard to do since I work from home and right now in the process, I'm trying to avoid going out for meals. My home is pretty well free of temptations, and my bf isn't a sabatoer (like Beck talks about ... the people in your life who try to cajole you into eating off plan). I'm thankful he is NOT that kind of influence.

In the meantime, I'm living in a kind of a sheltered, "don't waver from the safe path", and doing okay in this limited environment. But I want to stretch out of this.

But, I didn't actually READ what Beck says to do on Day 13 to try to strengthen this "overcome craving" muscle. So that's my task right now ... to actually read what she wrote.... to actually DO the exercises, even if they're uncomfortable and maybe get somewhere.

Thanks to all of you.
Ani

Last edited by dailypractice; 03-28-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #254  

Height: 5' 2"

Ani Reading Beck and DOING what she recommends are two different activity. I read well . . .

I agree that simply staying away from those tempting foods, for me cookies, is the best goal. Unluckily, DH enjoys them and keeps them in the TV room cabinet.

Last night I kept the electronic device in my hands all evening to keep from getting a cookie to eat. It worked. I watched the college play offs, cheering on Michigan State and Gonzoga and ate nothing after supper, tho went to bed at 1:30 am very hungry but happy.

Karen May your pain be kept away however you can as you heal. Hard to realize how much the meds help, but you are more aware than most of us that pain meds can also be a crutch or even a handicap. Hope the book helps keep your mind occupied.

MaryAnn how frustrating after a good week of sacrifice, to find the scale betraying your hopes. May you find the solution was to keep trying and see what happens once the meds are finished.

p.a. Walking in stores works during bad weather, winter or summer. I haunt Home Depot without buying because of wide isles and lots of room to walk in good temperatures.

CurlyJax How you are struggling in so many areas. Hope you can get extra hours and health insurance so you can remain at the job you know. May DH find some work soon, and hopefully full time. Keep trusting that you will be ok soon.

Asthma season here and the strong dip in temperatures leaves me house bound. At least I can get lots work finished here so when the weather breaks I can begin again outside. Wish I were no housebound with the cookies DH keeps in TV room!!!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #255  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in this morning. Still doing well on the food plan although my appetite is improving, so it is not quite as easy, credit. Went for a 45 minute walk this morning, credit. I put my Garmin Vivo back on. Couldn't bear to see the extremely low numbers, but I will set my goal at 10,000 steps for now. My husband went for the walk with me. We have lovely trails thru the greenbelt that go for miles. I usually don't walk there because it is pretty flat and not much exercise. However, for now I will call that flat . SAFE. Today's walk was pretty short cause that was about as much as I could ask for, but now I realize I will be just fine on my own and hope to get in 5 miles a day for now, at least most days.

The book my friends husband recommended is The Singular Pilgrim. It isn't available for the Kindle, so I will look for something else for now. I have the Kindle Paperwhite and it is so light that it is perfect for right now.

I think I'm down 2 pounds to 148, glad to see that. More later.

Karen
Closed Thread