Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 15 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #211  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Hangin' in there!

curlyjax, I'm sending support as you walk through uncharted territory. I wish you and your DH peace as you walk this path together. I appreciate your comment. Thanks. My "woes" started over a year ago and I'm grateful that I decided to try my best to stick with my program, one day at a time. Reading posts, even when I don't type has been super helpful. I have found that there are many Beck skills that don't have to go by the wayside as I deal with my personal challenges. I still focus, daily, on many tasks: eating while sitting, weighing every day, eating slowly, keeping control of my environment, especially regarding foods I bring into the house. I postpone eating if I am super emotional (that has really helped). I give myself credit for all positive decisions and choices I make. I, too, am in maintenance. That's ok for me. My body wants to gain weight when I stop focusing on daily practice. This forum (and my South Beach daily) give me the opportunity to share "stuff" that is going on that affects my relationship with food and I don't have to burden my family members who are stressed and hurting, too. Thanks for your confidence in us to share your personal story.

Karenrn, so sorry to hear of your fracture. Such a painful and difficult time. I'm glad you got your GrandCanyon trek in. Is that your first time down and back up? My DH has done two rim to rim with a geology group...camping and carrying backpack.

I'm still doing ok. New glitch...taking 93 yr old mom down for a mammogram this afternoon after work. She is convinced she has an issue. It has been over 10 years since her cancer surgery and I'm praying she does not have to go through another bout at her age.
I'm still focused on healthy choices and find moments for myself. Yesterday after work I planted my sweet pea seeds. Sweet peas are a joy in my life and I'm grateful I cleaned out the bed last fall and took the time to complete my task as it is snowing today. Yay Mother Nature waters!

It's my early day at work so I'm headed down to make my green smoothie-it continues to be the anchor of my healthy food plan. Credit.

Take care everyone! to all!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Arrow Completed day 9: Select an Exercise Plan

day 9: Select an Exercise Plan

What comes easy for me is taking lots of dog walks. It’s easy because it’s externally motivated by my pooch and my bf, who both LOVE long walks. They haul me along for 4-5 miles a day. And they set a brisk pace, faster than I would walk on my own. So it’s an easy no-brainer.

We’re fortunate to live a block from a wild, natural “old-Florida” park with trails that cut through tangled woods and run along creeks with ponds full of birds: herons, storks, egrets, ibis, cormirands, anhingas, ducks, and red-shoulder hawks. We love to stop to watch a pair of young eagles who are building a nest atop a high post. This is the 4th year we’ve followed their progress. They haven’t yet had any baby eaglettes. We keep hoping! The ospreys are relentless in bothering them with squawking fly-bys, but the eagles continue to hold strong.

In the past I’ve done yoga, but not lately, so as part of this step, I plan to make yoga a regular practice, 3 times a week anyway.

And strength training. So far that’s in the “magical thinking” category. I WANT to engage in regular strength training, but could use some help in ideas to make it palatable. I prefer to NOT go to a gym. Here in Florida the weather is always nice enough to exercise outdoors. So I’d love to find (or devise) a self-directed outdoor program of some sort. A woman I know published a neat little book called “Park Bench Yoga”. It’s made of 3x5 cardstock with spiral binding so you can carry it with you on your walk. Each page has a glossy photograph of a yoga position using a park bench as a support.

I love that idea.

Wouldn't it be neat to find the same thing for strength training? Stopping at each park bench. Plus we cross lots of wooden bridges over little creeks. A different exercise could occur at each bridge. Ohhhh I'm liking this idea as I write it!

Any ideas, coaches, of approaches that have worked for you? Any books or programs you’ve come across? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #213  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Another quick check-in. We expect a plumber bright and early. Well, not bright. It's raining so dark and dreary here!

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +60 990/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

curlyjax: sorry for your troubled times. Good luck with dual job searches. I hope you both get a positive outcome from a change you didn't ask for or plan.

BillBlueEyes: here's what we learned about chip-and-pin cards. True ones are rare as hen's teeth in the US. What most of us end up with, thinking we have chip-and-pin, are chip-and-signature that have pin numbers. They work reasonably well, but slightly awkward, especially at first, until you get used to telling the cashier that it will require a signature. That also means they won't work in automated machines like toll booths, but we've never had an occasion to use those. The other place we might have wanted them to work was an ATM machine in an emergency, but our bank's ATM card worked fine. DH has a vague memory that some place in the US (Walmart?) can take a true chip-and-pin, so that's a place to try it and see if they ask for a pin number or a signature when you use it.
We got Euros through our bank (had to order in advance because it takes a few days). There was a flat fee. We feel more confident landing with all the cash we think we'll use, but we did get more cash from the ATMs in Europe last time and that seemed like a reasonable way to do it. Some people just wait until they get to the foreign airport, but I would always want to land with enough for the first cab ride and I might as well get more since my bank charges that flat fee.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #214  

Thumbs up Problem areas to keep an eye on

Hello Coaches and Beck buddies
Things are going pretty well. But Problem areas for me to keep an eye on:
1. portion sizes. (I do great with blah food but watch out when it’s a fav. )
2. shopping at trouble times of day (even shopping at NON-food stores, they can be the worst: ACE hardware has candy bars. Even the Dollar Store has treats galore … and they’re all CHEAP. A terribly tempting combination).
3. sodium

GardenerJoy: Happy Bloggiesta and for thinking of it as a great time to be at the computer and away from food temptations. Thanks for listing your influential advantages… Wow and kudos for getting off your blood pressure medicine. That’s awesome I LOVE the image of swimming upstream against a rushing river of corporate interests). Thanks for sharing… and as you’ve “stolen” advantages from other Beck coaches, I will be stealing some of yours. Thanks.

P/A So sorry for your loss, P/A. And so recent. Only 10 months ago. I applaud you for deciding that you WILL start over. Why? Because, as you say, you have no choice. I also lost my husband - 14 years ago it was - and I recall many hours of many days curled up in a ball refusing to start over. But then slowly, at some point, the human spirit gets an itch to keep going, sort of like the itch of a healing wound, despite the pain and heart ache. My very best to you in the hours and months ahead.

Maryann: Kudos to you for “strengthening your resistance muscle until noon”. Sometimes for me that’s what it takes, getting over a troublesome time of day. I love your empowered statements “I have proven to myself that water is what my body really wants” and “I am not a world class athlete that needs to eat every two hours”. And especially "Hunger is not an emergency." Thanks for those reminders.

Love2Garden: Such wisdom in what you say “We do need food, but certainly not the amounts or types I am wanting.” Great that you chose a restaurant that you know through experience results in healthy choices, great conversation and no dessert. And kudos for keeping your hands out of the candy jar. A favorite cartoon of mine is Dennis the Menace (remember him?) He’s standing on a kitchen chair with his hand in a cookie jar high up on a shelf. The caption reads “I bet you think I’m swipin’ cookies”) Thanks for sharing your influential advantages: i.e. the affect on your knees, your breathing, and because your husband would be pleased! He’s known you all your life? You met as children? Sweet.

Nationalparker: Kudos for giving yourself a dose of self-care in a stressful week by going to bed early to avoid getting behind on sleep. And Chocolate bars in the workplace! With everyone else mindlessly eating them. Grrrr. That’s criminal! Here’s sending you positive vibes of strength and resistance!!!

curlyjax: Oh what a huge blow. Of COURSE, you’re freaked out. Who wouldn’t be? But I’m so impressed at your description of how the human spirit works. At first, you’re scared sh**less. After which you write “But tonight i'm telling myself, at least we have each other, we knock wood are all healthy, it certainly could be a lot worse. At least the winter is over, I know lots of other people go through this, we will weather it too.” Wow. Them’s fighting words. And it is TRUE. You will weather it. And find a way. I wish you the very best.

Bill: Kudos for the restaurant choice. I got a chuckle out of your saying the “salt weighing in at 2 pounds”. Thanks for that reminder. I have a heart muscle disease called cardiomyopathy so I’ve got to be careful of salt. But I often say “what the heck”. But I gotta start saying “no choice”, but it’s SO HARD! … Oh, and I ALSO just ordered a chip and pin credit card to use on MY trip to Italy in April. I think I found the ONLY bank (credit union actually) that offers a true chip and pin.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #215  
Green Tomatoes

dailypractice: I invent my strength training routines on the fly. But, I started with a couple of years of doing video workouts first. My favorite was 10-Minute Solution Target Toning for Beginners. (In fact, if you want it, I'll send it to you -- but, as I recall, it was cheap at Target). I finally got the lunge right, though, from a book that I reviewed: Strong Women, Strong Hearts.

These days, I do my Strength Training while watching a show on Netflix (currently, Once Upon a Time). I do leg lifts, squats and lunges of various flavors, crunches of various flavors, more leg lifts on the floor for both abs and leg muscles, push ups and planks, and arm exercises with 5-pound dumb bells.
The squats and lunges are the most important to me -- as much as the weight loss, I credit getting strong in my legs for no longer suffering back and knee problems. I never knew that I wasn't lifting properly until I finally got strong enough to lift properly. Also, I use squats and lunges in the garden so that I rarely bend from the waist -- my back and knees like it much better that way.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #216  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Good Morning Coaches,

An update from me. My friend's husband, a retired orthopedic surgeon, read my X-ray and tells me I have 3 fractures to the right proximal humerus that could be seen on the X-ray. My arm is swollen and bruised from the armpit to the wrist. I will have a CT scan today or tomorrow and then see the surgeon Thursday morning. I can not lift my arm out to the side, so I'm worried I may have torn rotator cuff too. We'll see.

The John Muir Backpack is out. No way to recover and then train again for that one. Still hoping for Wonderland Trail though. The date on that one is 9/1 thru 9/11.

My focus is just to keep myself entertained as this waiting game progresses and keep from over eating. It is very boring as I am not used to being sedentary.

Lexxis I have done Rim to Rim in a day, as a backpack over 4 days, backpacked to the bottom and back up several times and this latest to the bottom and back up. It took 8 hours. I was so encouraged with how easy it was that I was sure the JMT would be just fine. It will be good to have surgery and have a clue as to the timeline of recovery so I can see what I will be able to do this summer. Backup plans are hiking in Utah with "hiking" Suzanne at her other home or over to California to hike with cousin.

I'll be checking in mainly to keep myself on track and to see how you all are doing. Dh is having to do most everything around here. Not having a working right arm is not easy but only temporary.

More later,
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #217  

S/C/G: 173/172/ 157

Height: 5'6

Default Coaches,

Phone check in. Day 4 of three meals.
Universal Truth: 12:00 will eventually come 😄
I was hungry eating lunch and dinner which is new to me. That must be a good sign.

Scale is 3 pounds above ticker but I will not let it discourage me. Medication and yoga (super soar) could be the culprits. I shudder to think what my weight would have done if I had gotten off the hormones and not had a plan.

In the last month I have conquerored some huge demons: wheat, standing while eating and now snacking. I will be patient with the number,
Thinking of all of you who face crisis and loss right now. Thanks for the courage to continue to post.

Last edited by maryann; 03-24-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #218  

Height: 5' 2"

CurleyJax OUCH!!! So sorry for the lousy boss your husband had who was so cruel and didn't consider the good report from earlier. Sure hope you both are able to work thru this soon, and get jobs with good health benefits. So glad to hear your health is good at this point.

Bill Loved the way you described your result of the Japanese Restaurant. I agree, loved the Asian food, but salt weighed 1.6 pounds at our home.

Karen Thanks for keeping us updated. I bet you REALLY are having trouble being inactive. Patience hopes going your way, too.

Check: 20 minute walk outside inspite of cold wind. I was able to breathe well, such a blessing.
Check: Healthy meal with blueberries, whole grain cereal, walnuts, and 1% organic milk. Later Cheese stick with apple snack.
Check:; very aware of advantages to loosing weight, but review it any way.

Last edited by love2garden; 03-24-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #219  
Changing from the inside

S/C/G: 210/190/140

Default First check-in

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the warm welcome messages. I have been MIA the past couple weeks since I first posted here but I’ve been keeping up with all of your posts since then. It’s really nice to see an active thread like this about Beck.

I’m hoping I will start using this thread as a diet buddy check-in on a daily basis. I tend to put it off, thinking that it will take forever to read through all the posts and write a new message. But in reality, it can take less than 15 minutes if I keep up with the thread everyday.

I have been a Beckster now for two weeks. So far, it’s actually been pretty great. My goal was to start out with just the first 5 success skills and keep chugging at them until I feel like I nailed it for 7 days in a row. Well today is my 7th day and I think I’m ready to add on the other 5 success skills in Phase I. I started a Google spreadsheet in Google Drive to journal on my skills each day, just like Beck has laid out in the book. Out of the past 7 days, I:

- read my ARC: 3 days
- weighed myself: 4 days
- ate sitting down and slowly: 5.5 days
- exercised spontaneously: 5 days
- did my planned exercise: 5 days
- gave myself credit: 6 days

I tend to waiver a little on my plan during the weekends because of social events involving food, travel, and a less regimented schedule. I tend to plan out my meals for the week a day ahead of time but for the weekends I never seem to plan because I may be going out with friends or going grocery shopping, etc. and I think to myself, “I’m not really sure what my schedule will be like today so I better just eat and plan in the moment.” And that is my downfall!

However, both weekends I made up for the extra calories by eating a little less on Monday and Tuesday and I made sure I exercised. So I have to give myself credit for that!

I pleasantly surprised myself yesterday because I started to really notice how the foods I had eaten the prior three days made my body feel. I ate out at restaurants on saturday, Sunday, and Monday. And by the end of the day Monday my stomach felt very heavy and I was so aware of the richness of the foods I had been consuming felt. I was really to jump into a big bowl of salad! I think sitting down and eating slowly the past two weeks has helped me become more aware of how foods make my body feel, even outside of the mealtime itself.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #220  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Strange day today - rearended in my first new car (probably the only one I'll have - it was a good deal) ... and hauled DH out to lunch to oh, commiserate? Anyway, ate half my sandwich but ALL of the fries with the aim to go light for dinner. That ended up being altered as our run to a hardware store turned into a forever-and-a-day evening so we went to Subway for dinner. I am going awry at too many corners and I just keep thinking I'll make up for it down the line instead of it's all accumulating!

CurlyJax - I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's job loss. It is scary in these times, but it seems like it's happening so often. It's like a contingency plan is always in the back of our minds - not like the "olden days" I think. Credits for you to recognize what is still "good".

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-24-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #221  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had sushi at a Japanese Restaurant we've never been to before for the fifth night eating away from home. CREDIT moi for a reasonable platter of food. To my surprise, the salt didn't show up on the scale this morning. Seems like Thai or Sushi restaurants are opening up every month - restaurant styles come in waves. Fortunately, the current wave isn't BBQ, LOL.

Walked to an evening event, CREDIT moi, with DW and a friend. We walked three abreast sometimes on the sidewalks. It's strange to celebrate that, but reclaiming the sidewalks from the banks of snow is a treat. With a high wind, the temps in the 20's F felt bitter cold.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for early morning plumbers. [Thanks for the chip-and-pin info; I'll have to test the ones we just ordered to be sure. Yep, arriving in Italy with a wad of Euros in my pocket seems smart. There's a major branch of my bank within walking distance that'll exchange Euros on the spot; I love the good exchange rate right now.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a 93 year old exercising control of her own health care. Kudos for prepping your sweet pea beds last fall. DW still looks at mounds of snow on her gardens.

maryann - LOL at "Universal Truth: 12:00 will eventually come" - you remind me that the Beck strategies are a simple program.

nationalparker – Ouch for the first accident in your new car. Kudos for being aware that the small "awry" accumulate.

Karen (karenrn) - So jealous of your Grand Canyon rim-to-rim experiences. Sending healing thoughts for you to get your bones back in shape for your fall Wonderland Trail hike.

love2garden - Kudos for being aware, "I was able to breathe well, such a blessing."

Laurelei (IamLaurelei) - Kudos for a thoughtful approach to mastering the skills. It was a challenge for me to accept that such simple notions would make a difference. Good luck continuing to search for a way to plan weekends.

Ani (dailypractice) - Love your idea of park bench strength training - go for it. Anhingas are such a treat for us since we only see them in Florida. [Can't wait to hear about your trip to Italy. Your experience searching for chip-and-pin makes me more determined to be sure that I've got a real one.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

Use Mindset Techniques
Apply the same kind of thinking techniques you previously learned to combat emotional eating: . . .

.....Read your Advantages Response Card. Review all the reasons you want to lose weight. Don't you still want to achieve all those benefits? Aren't they still important? Is it worth strengthening your giving in muscle by eating now?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 229.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #222  
Green Tomatoes

We have pretty new shut-offs in the basement for each floor of plumbing. That will make our future renovation projects go a bit more smoothly. The powder room is coming along, though -- painting today!

I need to be more careful to get up every half hour or so -- I sat for too long yesterday. CREDIT for getting in some exercise late. Thanks to dailypractice for asking exercise advice -- I did exactly what I described to her yesterday.

CREDIT for following my plan and for being thoughtful when I made my plan about what I would need and what I wouldn't on an odd day.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +40 1030/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

IamLaurelei: Glad to have you back! You might play around with planning on the weekends, anyway. I sometimes find that having a plan makes it easier to eat reasonably even when something pushes me off plan. If I planned a salad at home for lunch, then I'll probably choose one if I end up eating out. Or, you could try writing up a Plan A and a Plan B.

nationalparker: sorry about the rear-ender. I've had a few of those! My theory is that they give us a flight-or-fight adrenaline rush that doesn't get dissipated because we stick around for the procedural stuff and we're too civilized to fight what hit us. My best antidote is exercise. I've had the least ill effects on the times when I was able to walk for a long time afterwards. Although, the timing and weather doesn't always make that possible.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #223  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in. Arm seems more painful again, I think it changes as the swelling changes. Had a CT yesterday and they called radiologist to get area of scan increased. Who knows what that will mean. I am so terribly bruised that they were very careful with me and very sweet, it almost made me think I should have a pity party, but I am trying to avoid that. I know this is nothing compared to what so many go thru.

Highlight of today will be bathing and hair washing after husband gets home from working a few hours this morning. Food a little higher than losing, but I am holding my own and eating healthy. Yesterday's extra was a few dates.

Curlyjax I am thinking of you with the stress of your husband's job loss. I hope something comes up soon. And Nationalparker I am sorry about the new car accident. Bummer.

Please excuse typing. I have to move laptop around with left hand to get right hand into position for hitting the keys.

Karen
Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #224  

Arrow I keep plugging along

Hello Coaches and Beck buddies
I keep plugging along, thanks to all the support I’m getting from you all. Thanks much.

GardenerJoy: Thanks for the info about your strength training routine and the links to videos and books. I followed the link to your blog. AWESOME blog with great advice. Thanks. I found the “Strong Woman” book at my library. I also have problems with my knees doing lunges and squats, so I’m intent on finding ways to increase strength while still protect my knees. Thanks much.

Karen: For such an active person as you, it must be very difficult to be sedentary. Wishing you strength through the waiting game and speedy healing.

Maryann: I love your “Universal Truth”: that 12:00 will eventually come. I'm stealing the idea and rewording it to fit my trouble time of day. Thanks. Kudos for not letting the ticker discourage you and for recognizing all the demons you’ve conquered recently. Congrats on good self-talk and good progress!

Love2Garden: Kudos on the healthy meals and on remembering to be constantly aware of the advantages of losing weight.

IAmLaurelei So glad you’re starting to use this thread as a diet buddy. I’m new to 3FC, and prior to joining had put off dieting for a long time. I’m so glad I decided to get involved. The support helps so much. Great idea you have to set a (modest?) goal of starting out with "just" the first 5 success skills. Whew! That’s plenty to digest, I’d say. Good for you!

Nationalparker: Oh dear, what a major bummer about your new car. Grrrr. Heck, it’s understandable that you would go a bit “awry” on a day like this. I hope the repairs aren’t too major. My best to you.

Bill: Kudos on your choice of a "reasonable" platter of food and glad to hear that the sodium didn't show up on the scale the next morning. I like the word "reasonable" as a measure of a good plan. Kudos for the evening walk. I get a chuckle to hear you “celebrate” the fact that the sidewalks are snow-free enough to walk 3-abreast. It reminds me to also “celebrate” the ordinary yet wonderful little bits I tend to take for granted. Thanks for that reminder. ... oh, btw, I read an earlier post where you mentioned finding an airbnb apartment in your "fav neighborhood" of Rome. This is my first time in Rome and we're using airbnb in the Rione Monte neighborhood. Curious what your fav neighborhood is?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #225  

Arrow Completed day 10: Set a Realistic Goal

Set a Realistic Goal
There’s a joke that goes “The second day of a diet is always easier than the first because by then I’ve fallen off it.”

I tell this joke because, in the old days, that's how things would go for me. I would set an unrealistic goal and embark on an unrealistically restrictive diet, eating weird food I didn’t like. I'd start to feel woefully deprived and very soon, I'd quit.

What was missing was a realization that it was POSSIBLE to change my way of thinking, and that by changing my thinking I could also change my eating behaviors. What was missing was the realization that it was POSSIBLE to get beyond the whining voice that said "Waa.Waa. I'm so deprived." (an extremely attractive voice, I might add LOL)

Then 3 years ago, I found Beck's CBT and her way of helping me to change my unhelpful way of thinking. And to learn that unrealistic goals don’t produce success. Since then, I TRY TO set realistic goals.

Today, my goal is to continue marching thru the Beck pink book, day by day, for 42 days, attending to every task. My goal is to focus on PROCESS, not PRODUCT. I do weigh myself every day and I do write it down, and I do have a goal of hitting my target weight by a target date. But I’m trying to focus less on the scale and more of my thinking and strategizing on self-talk that improves my thinking.

Easier said than done, especially on the mornings when the scale shows a discouraging up-tick. But that is my GOAL anyway. And with the support I'm receiving from all of you, I am happy to say I AM on target and the scale is behaving. Thanks so much.
Closed Thread