Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #136  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Violette_R: I like your idea of saying your Advantages to yourself, occasionally. I'd find that an interesting challenge and, if I couldn't do it, I'd be more motivated to grab my cards to see what I forgot.

Lately, I've been reading both Advantages and Responses -- my Responses cards are so numerous that I'll never be able to repeat them to myself with any accuracy. I do it just once a day (usually while I'm writing my Beck post), so it's no big deal to read them all.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #137  

Height: 5' 2"

Violette You were wondering about remembering and saying your advantages instead of reading. Right? I also do that, but have discovered that I do better to see the words, then think about them, does me the most good.

May 19 I see Doctor and would love to have some weight gone by then. He laughed when I asked him if any new meds are available to help in weight loss. 'None that I would trust or recommend. Back to the tried and true way to lose weight."

CREDIT: Walked outside for 3/4 mile in sunshine!!! Glad I still can before allergy season really takes over.
CREDIT: Weigh daily and record weight (even tho I usually cringe)

Bill Record set during your lifetime, surely you won't see that broken again.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I had serious slippage and struggled with standing while eating yesterday. This which made portions nebulous. Credit for sticking to my activity plans. I used homemade bread in a strata with the aged artichoke hearts. The additional spinach made it a healthy recipe my boys liked. I also found out it is 10,000 steps round trip to the gym. I would never guessed it was so few. Why do I overestimate exercise totals and underestimate food totals. Hmmmm. Seems to me that should be reversed.

As withnationalparker I need to return to the basics this week. I want 100% of Beck skills starting this morning. Checked off skills, meal planned, spontaneous and planned exercise accounted.

onebyone: Thanks for the info. I am going to order it.

dailypractice: Very helpful to think that "on plan" is an active meditation. I have been learning this lesson as I go through Lent. I have given up wheat (breads, cakes,pastas etc. . . not the communion wafer ) This has sharpened my awareness of my dependency on food instead of the spirit.

violette: as with love2garden, I find I need to pick up a hardcopy and read ARCS for them to be of maximum service. I put the cards next to the protein powder and read them while I blend.

curleyjax: When I check in with the iPhone, the page looks much different. I always feel I am on the edge of technology waiting to fall off. In regards to picking up kids. I am now in the habit of walking the blocks around my son's music center. I can walk anywhere and have found I can do it for any amount of time. I just need to wear yoga pants and bring my shoes. Sometimes I wear leggings with a long tank then a nice oversize blouse with scarf which I will remove to walk. I bring a pair of flats as well. This way I can do errands. Any little bit helps.

Last edited by maryann; 03-16-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Doing my daily lesson and stopped to type this. I'm a weightlifter, so Beck's metaphor of "strengthening your resistance muscle" speaks to me. I often feel discouraged rather than proud when I resist a craving because I'm positive the craving will reoccur and doubt my ability to resist it again. I've made a card telling myself this:

Every craving is another set of resistance strengthening. Do one more rep!

Also, I've said in the past that I'm still overweight even though I exercise a lot because I may be good at doing things I don't necessarily want to, but I'm really bad at not doing things that I want to. Like eat pizza. What I need to do is look at sticking to my diet as a proactive thing, not refraining from unplanned eating as reactive to the desire to eat. I'm strengthening my resistance muscle, rather than not eating pizza.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

This has always bothered me, though: Do you struggle over whether or not to brush your teeth? Imagine how annoying it would be if you had to fight to get yourself to do this mundane task everyday!

Beck's a psychologist. She should know that depressives often do struggle with mundane tasks, even brushing our teeth. She should know that statistically speaking, a lot people reading this book will also suffer from depression and that characterizing "refraining from unplanned eating" as being as simple as the mundane task of brushing our teeth will be a little discouraging.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, I seem to not be able to post consistently so I am going to lower the bar and just post what I ate for lunch and dinner, daily. Boring for the rest of you but I want to build the habit in the easiest way possible.

L: tuna sandwich with green goddess dressing and avocado (restaurant)
D: brown rice, pork stir fry with eggplant and peppers, pear (home)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #142  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good to see you visible, flunu! Use the forum for what works for you!

Bill - hope you can keep that snow record - for a LONG time ugh. We set one here a few winters ago (for Dec./Jan./Feb. span) and it was misery. I think I'd be more tolerant of it not driving to work in it. Or driving anywhere in it, ha ha.

Very busy day at work - nothing seemd to work right, including [again] the computer system. This is not uncommon for our company, but is frustrating since we're a prominent one that should not face these issues. Didn't eat over it but certainly wanted to with huge chocolate chip cookie cakes and regular cakes around. The more I say no, the more I can become the person who doesn't eat crap at work (like BethfromDayton - if you're ever reading these, you brought a lot to the conversation! c'mon back )

Using what facets/ideas from Beck's book work best with my thinking and surroundings - there is a lot of positive behaviours in there that I can adopt and discard those thoughts/suggestions that I don't agree with or dislike or that I know don't go with my thought processes.

Trail walk this evening with DH and pooch. Good conversation, and we carried it over to Panera for dinner (where I stayed OP). He's off now while I work. Hate these opposite skeds for us, but they're great for the pets.

Maryann - Loved your recollection of your weight a few years ago and how solid you're doing now, despite angst. GREAT JOB - you really stick with it.

Joy - Have you planned out your vegetable plantings for this year? I am tossing around the idea of just container gardening with grape tomatoes as I have a lot of luck with those. The rest is all flowers until we have more space. My favorite is my butterfly garden, loaded with bumble bees and butterflies and hummingbirds. Now I'm itching to be outside from here on out. Not gonna happen, says my weatherman

Tomorrow's goal - another walk despite a 25-degree drop in temp. And getting through another rough workday with food plan still in place. Brought a snack today and left it in my bag. What random thoughts tonight. Apologies.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #143  

Today I ate within my guidelines, ordered the New to me the complete beck diet for life book, walked a bit and went to aquafit.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #144  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Saint Patrick's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Just the standard walk, CREDIT moi, where I spent the whole time staring at the sidewalks as if they were an attraction. There was pavement; there was brick; there was stone. All's good.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi, with no serious temptations. I love it when extraneous foods don't appear. If it warms up enough today, the students will be flowing out of the restaurants onto the sidewalks with their green beer. Erin Go Braugh!

onebyone – Breaks my heart to read of a theater room with equipment too obsolete to salvage. BTDT. Yay for hand trucks. I love mine; we use it all the time. Kudos for all the times you haven't been out of kale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats to the folks who organized a tea tasting without food. Perhaps they'll write a book suggesting that food needn't be the center of every event.

maryann - Had to google strata - aghast to read prep time of 13 hours and 50 minutes. LOL at "overestimate exercise totals and underestimate food totals."

nationalparker – LOL at "What random thoughts tonight" - sometimes the mind just goes. Jealous of your hummingbirds - we only have Ruby-Throated. Kudos for recognizing "The more I say no, the more I can become the person who doesn't eat crap at work."

flnu - Yep, use this site however works for you. I will, however, miss the exotic meal descriptions from your posts from overseas.

love2garden - Yep, "Back to the tried and true way to lose weight" - it's fun to peek every now and then to see if the miracle has happened.

Violette_R - I sometimes do my Advantage Card from memory. I am so gonna steal this one, "Do one more rep!" - that speaks to me. Interesting reminder with your teeth brushing example that we don't know what's driving each other.

p.a. - Ordering a new book always puts me in a good mood.

Ani (dailypractice) - Yay for "I'd forgotten how satisfying water can be" - I find it so much fun to remember that I can have a glass of water as if it weren't the obvious choice.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

How to Calm Down
But negative emotions are uncomfortable, and there are Cognitive Therapy strategies you can learn to feel better. Usually, the best way to decrease your distress is to respond to your negative thinking and to solve the problem associated with your emotional upset. You'll learn how to do this tomorrow. But it's sometimes difficult to go right to problem solving (and there might be some problems that are out of your control), especially if you're accustomed to immediately reaching for food when you're upset. You might need to decrease your distress first, in non-food-related ways.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 228.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #145  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My DH stayed on the other side and I am really focusing on using my time here wisely. I am making an effort to focus on my own personal goals as we continue to move forward with our numerous family "issues". Of course, I had planned some wonderful days off "by myself" and got notification that ex-wife and her DH will be in Thursday eve and Friday they want to schedule an event with myself and the grandkids. They are reclaiming DD's vehicle, which has been sitting in front of my mom's house for 6 weeks. We had hoped the DD would get her act together but unfortunately the situation is getting worse. She was in jail again last week and it looks as if she may be going back. I'm sad for her but am glad to have the vehicle out of my possession. Sis is doing well. Recent pet scan showed all tumors had calcified as a result of her treatment. Unfortunately, DR stated she would need to continue this treatment for life and she's sad about that.

As for me, I'm doing pretty well. I am trying to resume some sort of normalcy and have added my morning weight routine back in. I have resumed taking Vit. C capsules in the morning. I have resumed doing some healthy reading. I have resumed taking my own lunch to work. Credit.

I am grateful to have continued to weigh every day, eat while sitting, make my healthy smoothie every day and plan for healthy meals. I have kept my home routine. Credit.

I am grateful to have not let these last few weeks change my attitude or determine to stay my healthy course. I find my "Beck tapes" are constantly running in my head while I am dealing with the events of the moment. Credit.

I have really noticed lately just how important my daily routine is. My "Beck routine" really helps me stay on course.

We have a new girl at work. My best buddy decided she was ready for a change. It looks as if my schedule will change a bit. They wanted me to work both Sat and Sun. and handle the back room both days. (The new girl doesn't want to work weekends). The old me would do whatever they wanted. The new me thought things through and told them that I was not physically capable of taking on that commitment on a long term basis. They understood. Yay. I will continue my current days.

BBE, congrats on breaking the snow record and I hope there are no more additions to that number. Kudos for such a Beck-centered streak of OP days, especially as you continue to navigate so many food centered events. Thanks, as always, for your continued dedication to our group.

p.a., credit for a successful day!

nationalparker, sorry your computer issues continue. Kudos for not eating over it. Like you, I think about eating certain foods that are readily available at work. I join you in being "the person who doesn't eat crap at work".

flnu, great to hear from you. Kudos for coming here to post your menu and do it as often as you can!

Violette R, your post really struck home with me yesterday. Wow. Yes, I struggle, too with those "mundane tasks". I had just never had it put into words as you did. You related to depressives struggling with mundane tasks. In my case, I have been very aware of how my weight affected my self-esteem. My low self-esteem would find me struggling to do many mundane tasks which involved self care. You are not alone and thanks for the discussion. PS love your resistance strengthening reps!

maryann, kudos for "back to basics". Me, too. I appreciated your discussion the other day regarding celebrating your weightloss accomplishments amidst present circumstances. (Don't know if I worded that well). I have easy moments at my current weight and I have difficult ones. Reality is I have come along way and I will celebrate. The key, it seems, is to keep working at it and Beck gives us the skills we need.

gardenerjoy, ouch for a flat tire but glad AAA came to the rescue. Kudos for half way on your exercise goal!

love2garden, I am trying to grow roses at high altitude. Wish you could help me prune them. One gets a lot of dead growth up above and I think I should be trimming that off. Kudos for daily weighing and recording. It's a very helpful habit for me.

onebyone, kudos for taking a grip on your food choices and moving back down on the scale. It's what I like about SBD. If I get off track I consistantly find that when I choose to get back on the plan that the scale always comes back down. Hope you got your kale. I have a new stash, too.

dailypractice, welcome! Glad you are joining us in this journey! Thanks for sharing your "daily practice". I find that space to be very peaceful.

curlyjax, I find when I keep working at the scheduling challenges I always find a way. Kudos for putting in that effort!

CeeJay, yay for staying your course! Credit!

to all who read! I must get ready for work. I read everyday and will continue to think positive as I try and find new "space" to post on a regular basis.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Arrow Completed Day 2: Pick Two Reasonable Diets

Day 2: Pick Two Reasonable Diets

The Beck program is enough for me. I didn't pick an additional diet. From past experience, I know Beck works. In fact, I don't like how most diets talk incessantly about food. Or like the magazines articles that tell you how to substitute healthy food for non-healthy. They'll show a gorgeous photo of the WRONG food next to a photo of the healthy substitution. (Yeah right!)

Instead, it helps me to try to SUBSTITUTE a non-food activity or reward when I feel a craving. Every day and in every "ready to cave" situation, I need to remind myself that there are a zillion ways to appreciate this wonderful world that don't involve food.

Ani
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Kudos to everyone for continuing on the sometimes bumpy path

Good morning coaches and buddies:

Onebyone: Congrats on getting thru a tough time packing. And kudos to you for staying on track with eating in spite of it. Thanks for reminding me to pack a lunch. That's such a great strategy to ward off off plan eating. The best to you in your upcoming art shows.

Violette: I think that reciting your advantages from memory is a fantastic idea. What a great sign that you have really adapted the reasons into you psyche and into your very marrow. I try to memorize mine and having to look at the card helps me when I forget one. I LOVE your focus on "strengthening your resistance muscle" YES YES YES. And like you, I sometimes find it easier to DO a thing than to NOT DO a thing I crave doing.

GardenerJoy: Too bad about the flat tire, but kudos to you that you didn't let that derail your day. What a great idea: a tea tasting with no food! I wish more of my activities would adopt that. Oh wait... I think someone smart said "Be the change you want to see in the world" I admire YOUR getting meetings to be snack free.

Love2Garden: Kudos on you walking and and your weigh-in. I got a real kick out of your asking the doctor if there aren't any new meds for weight loss. (you sound like me). Long ago I read in the book Fit or Fat... "If someone told you there was a pill you could take for weight loss, would you take it? Answer: There is. But it takes 20 minutes a day to swallow" LOL.

Maryann: Congrats for sticking to your activity plans. And I love reading about the healthy meals you prepare. You give me good ideas. And kudos for realizing the need to return to basics. Long ago I took karate lessons. I was in the beginner class and every day there'd be several black belts with many years experience who'd come to the class. I asked one of them why he came. He said "I always need to return to basics". "Beginner's mind" Suzuki calls it.

Flnu: Kudos to you for realizing you have to use this forum in the way that best meets your needs.

Nationalparker: I LOVE what you wrote. "The more I say no, the more I can become the person who doesn't eat crap at work" And I like how you take ideas from Beck's book that work best for you, and discard those that don't. What a great strategy.

Bill Kudos on being on plan. And thanks for posting the snippet from Beck. I like this one where she suggests that if your distressed, to "decrease your distress first, in non-food-related ways" Bingo. That's where I frequently brainstorm in my journal, trying to find NON-food ways to de-stress.

Lexxiss: Kudos on "resuming" helpful healthy activities, like your morning weight routine, taking Vit. C, doing healthy reading, packing a lunch. I appreciate your using the word "resume". It reminds me to use that word... I need to do EVERY MORNING. To resume the good habits. I also like how you use the phrase "I am grateful". I need to remember to be GRATEFUL for the good things I have.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #148  
Green Tomatoes

Chinese food for supper last night with my brother and family. The servings were huge so we tasted everything. I ate mostly vegetables so I'm pretty sure the two pound gain is just water weight from the sodium.

WI: +0.95 kg, Exercise: +45 740/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I have done nothing on my garden this year! I have a stack of seed catalogs and a list of clean-up chores to do before I could plant any seeds if I'd ordered them. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend. I plant two or three kinds of greens and radishes from seeds early in the spring. I might try carrots, too. I've never succeeded with carrots, but maybe someday I'll get it right. I buy most of my vegetable plants at the Master Gardeners sale. I just looked up the date -- it's May 2 this year. They have the use of some green houses so they can grow plants from seed indoors much better than I can, so I gave up that practice.

Violette_R: I have a huge resentment to mundane tasks. Any task worth doing is worth doing right...so that it never has to be done again. I hate the sort of tasks that have to be done over and over, no matter how well I did them the first time. Things have been getting better recently because I've been building structures around those tasks. For some reason, I mind them less if I can check them off a checklist. The next day, I clear the checks and do it again but it feels like a new slate.

Lexxiss: great to hear from you and all the positive ways you're caring for yourself.

flnu: happy to see you back with menu postings!

dailypractice: love this: "a zillion ways to appreciate this wonderful world that don't involve food"

Hello to all! I'm off to deal with contractors, the car (the tire was too broken to be fixed, so it's being replaced), and, hopefully, get some of my own work done today, too!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
thanks for the support around scheduling/DD pick up. The first day went smoothly anyhow! and I realized it means that I and DS get to have a nice quiet time together everyday without DD so that is a good thing (sounds terrible to say but DD is a tough person to live with) and that also I could spend some quiet time reading in the car waiting for her if need be.

I think my anxiety around this has to do with the realization again that I am very unconnected here in my community, I have few friends and school related stuff just brings all that up. Do I eat over this? at times yes, I am really struggling with depression and having a hard time doing any CBT.

But credit yesterday for not having any desserts! And credit for making a healthy quinoa lasagna which tastes fabulous.
I ditto all the wonderful comments that have already been made recently by you fabulous coaches, sometimes other people say exactly what I would!

Last edited by curlyjax; 03-17-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Seems like a longed day dat school. Then I came home to try a planned new veggie burger with white beans. I put them on homemade hamburger buns. This is always a gimme. DS loves anything on those buns. He had two. I am not thrilled with the burger recipe - too mushy. I will continue to experiment. These were very healthy - low fat, lots of veggie. I am grateful my husband (a generational farmer) is grateful for any meal I put on the table. His brother doesn't call it a meal unless there is meat and he doesn't count chicken as meat Because I "meal plan" for the month based on bargains, our meals are not routine. But credit that the result is DS has a very wide palette. So different than my friends' kids.

I really got hit hard by today's scale number. I made a big effort the last few days including extra exercise yet weight was two pounds above ticker. "Oh Well" was what I said at 6:00 this morning and still stuck to no wheat and one smoothie meal even though my mind was screaming "What is the use?" I know standing while eating is resurfacing. I tried very hard to get off the "This isn't fair" merry go round.

So for some positives:
I wore a becoming outfit to work. I have another nice one for tomorrow.
I entered everything into MFP
I posted here today.
In my refusal to waste I started using up a five pound bag of brown rice my husband's co op gave us. I have steadily refuse to leave my beloved white. But this stuff is pretty good and I have mastered cooking it in my rice cooker. Three cheers for healthy and frugal.

Really hear Violette and Curlyjax about depression. I have to break my days into little pieces sometimes and then take a break. I have anxiety as well. The two together pack quite a punch. I have a list of numbers in my phone of people I can call when it gets bad. These are people I met in counseling, twelve step programs, church, school. Being an introvert, I had to start by "practice" calling people. "Hi its me. I am just making a practice call. I am very uncomfortable." No one has ever been anything but supportive. Embarrassing but I am determined to not be handicapped by my biological limitations.

Last edited by maryann; 03-17-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Closed Thread