Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Day 4 100% on Beck Stage Two Skills. I have proven again to myself that when I don't eat wheat, I am not hungry. It is powerful to me to observe my longing for this fact to not be true. I want to eat wheat. I want to eat wheat and I want to wear my work pants. But the two do not coexist on the same plane apparently. Now I am five years old throwing a tantrum "But I want want want want to eat pasta and wear my pretty clothes."

Just for today I can choose health, energy and my pretty clothes. Someday I may be able to have everything I want but not today.

Weight is a pound below ticker. Exercise is yoga in an hour. Food is planned.

onebyone: I have rice on the menu today. I will be interested in your thoughts on the specialty version.

curleyjax: 45 mins is a lot of traveling time. When I had to travel like that I would think "But I sat in front of the tv watching two cooking shows without batting an eye."

gardenerjoy: Yeah! when an orange is perfectly enough.

BBE: We Californians would completely fall apart under such weather duress. We dash around chaotically at the falling of a raindrop.

Last edited by maryann; 02-21-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

Just a quick check in tonight. I continue to struggle a bit with food- am definitely not losing. Today I kicked it back to phase one of south beach. I am just thinking to the next 14 days and then I can see where I am at. I have not been eating unhealthy, but am eating too much to lose.

Despite my struggle to move the scale I must say that I feel so much more in control than I did 7 weeks ago. I am doing lots of things that are making me feel better. I have been doing three things every night using Jon Kabat-Zinn's CD- a body scan (about 30 minutes), then a stretching routine (about 10 minutes) and 10 minutes of sitting meditation. I am finding the CD is keeping me focused and I can't believe how much I am enjoying it. Overall I feel more relaxed and peaceful. The interesting thing is that while I am doing the body scan and stretching, I am really feeling pain in various parts of my body that the rest of the day I do my best to ignore. Especially my feet, ankles and knees. Somehow it makes sense to get in touch with the pain because I think that is motivating to me. Looking to acknowledge and accept the level of pain I am in and to know I am doing something to try to heal. I have also been keeping work hours somewhat sane, eating real food, exercising a bit, reading my cards and journaling some. It all points to better health. So all in all I am satisfied with my progress. I didn't realize how satisfied until I wrote this, so thankful for that.

Hope everyone enjoys tomorrow!

Last edited by CeeJay; 02-21-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - George Washington's Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, before the current snow/rain started. In a drugstore I noted that the displays of Easter candy fill an entire aisle. I'm so glad that I'm not in my jelly bean buying mode of years ago. That's one of the candies made for eating more than one. Whoever heard of eating a single jelly bean?

Eating was OK. I put my boots on and off more times than I'd have liked. I was on the phone making reservations for a concert this afternoon when the doorbell rang. It was a neighbor to borrow my snow rake. Then another neighbor asked to use it after him. None of us feel that we've done anything of major usefulness. Our icicles are still huge on the south side of our houses.

onebyone – Yay for an indoor craft show. Kudos for making "joyful funny things" that make you happy. We have one of those mega-mansions nearby. The local opposition focused on its use after the current couple got tired of the mega-taxes and it plausibly gets converted into a conference center with mega-traffic.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at the Fight Back image in your sketchnoting - thanks for sharing. Putting it on my bucket list to get to Missouri to taste your wheat bread.

CeeJay - Super Kudos for becoming mindful of your body and for sticking to a regime to help it to mend.

maryann - Congrats on getting below ticker despite a raging 5 year old.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

Making a Travel Plan
. . . . . .If your eating rules are too
strict,
you might get fed up and abandon
. . . . . . . .your diet altogether.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 223.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #154  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I continue to plod along the path and am doing well, just way too busy. I've been very mindful with food choices and as always, weigh every day. Credit. Scale reflects continued mindfulness as it stays pretty steady. Family stuff is still a big mess...very sad. DH has enjoyed 4 days in SFO with his other DD and will have a rude awakening when he returns this afternoon to very wintery conditions. Oh, well. I've been staying very strong and stable, emotionally, which I know has a lot to do with my continuing commitment to healthy eating. I've been out shoveling this morning and need to do my moms before work. While DH has been gone I've given myself permission to get some extra rest. That is helping, too.

I had a nice re-connection the other night. The new pup sleeps on an old afghan made for me 20 years ago by a friend I met in AA in Hawaii. She and DH were semi retired and would build a home and live in it until it sold then start the next one. At some point, addresses and phone #'s didn't jive. Well I got an empty box at Costco to make a bed for the pup (which he loves and saved $40) so I just googled her name and *poof* there was a phone # and address in Hawaii. I called and we picked up where we had left off 15 years ago. Their last project was a 6 plex and they have a vacant unit. They said come visit....sure would be nice but don't know if I could negotiate around all the family stuff right now. The nice reminder, regarding persistence with weightloss was that 100# ago I didn't want to renew any old connections and now I embrace them with joy. credit.

Well time is running out....

BBE, perhaps a snow rake rental business?? If you bought 4 or 5 it would never snow again.

Take care everyone!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #155  
Green Tomatoes

I got the exact same number on the scale three days in a row. That never happens!

Today should be fun. We'll likely watch both the Daytona 500 and the Oscars -- which makes me feel like a well-rounded American. I'm mentioning this as a reminder to ignore food commercials, to get up frequently for stretches or squats & lunges (but not for snacks), and to remember to enjoy the moments.

WI: NC kg, Exercise: +50 810/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

CeeJay: I think pain is something that doesn't get discussed enough in dieting circles. I think you're right, that we get through the day by attempting to ignore it. And, because we're not entirely conscious of it, it's actually hard to notice that it's gone. I didn't realize it until I went back to look at some journal entries and saw that every day there was some pain or other. When I'm at 170, I rarely have pain at all. And, it diminished considerably before I got there. The weight loss is a huge part, but stretching is a big piece, too. And, I was surprised, some light strength-training -- my knees are much better when my quads are strong enough to protect them. Reducing pain is a great motivator and one I want to keep more front and center in my mind.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #156  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Great posts to wake up to this morning. Ceejay, I want to look into that CD of yours. i am searching for more help in meditation. I think age brings aches and pains and I have a tremendous desire to self medicate with food.

Lexxiss: What a wonderful thing to seek connection rather than shun it. I went to a wonderful AA meeting in Hawaii -Maui. How I would love to go back there. DH says he wouldn't last a week but I think I could live there just fine. There is nothing like swimming in warm water.

BBE: My little sister and I have many a memory of Easter candy but we like the malt balls. What actually is in a malt ball? I know, it is probably wheat.

gardenerjoy: Give my best to Oscar. DH would never sit still watching that stuff so I don't plan it. I do have a nice story though about awards night. I grew up in Malibu. I was babysitting a kid whose parents were at the Emmys. The husband won and we saw him on the tv. When they came home that night, they let me hold the statue. It was big and heavy. Surreal to me because those people on the tv are nothing like their real life versions.

I was the speaker at an "old-timers" meeting at AA last night. Old timer is defined as 20 or more years of sobriety. I say without undo pride that for the old timer in the group, I looked and felt pretty spry. It is always good to be reminded how lucky I was to get sober at 23. The last ten years of drinking is usually a long, ugly road of loss and many of the attendees looked like they had been through it God bless them.

Day 5 of 100% OP. Weight at ticker and credit for realizing that the extra pound this morning always happens when I do a yoga class. Sore this morning. Food for today was planned last night. Walk after church.

Last edited by maryann; 02-22-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #157  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up good morning

Coaches, hello.

Tried to weigh-in this morning (credit for trying) but the wii fit controllers would not work so either the wii fit is dead, or the controllers weren't charged (didn't look that way) so I will see if they work later today. If not I need to get a scale so I can do an official weigh-in tomorrow.

I am trying to wake up feeling hungry. Trying to go to bed hungry too. Experiencing hunger is challenging to me. It brings up emotions of fear and anxiety and impending doom. I am have been doing an informal poll of potters' guild members, those who are thin and those newly thin (several members have lost significant amounts of weight over the last year) and they all tell me they are hungry a lot. And they tell me they are ok with feeling that way cause they know they are not overeating or they feel it is normal. ie. it is a positive not a negative for them and it doesn't drive them to eat to get rid of the feeling. It's just information, like stepping on the scale is I suppose. Interesting to hear this over and over and over. I have to tolerate hunger more often.

Yesterday I bought a large scone and ate it with a cup of hot chocolate mix given to me by MIL at xmas. It was a nice treat and did not set off cravings. Scones are not sweet, though mine had chocolate on it and chips in it. I am not triggered. I also had my soup with basmati rice, but not the special kind I bought. I had rice on the brain so bought pre-made basmati rice already portioned out. Expensive but I knew I could not be trusted to adhere to my measured amount if I had more than that on hand. I was thinking about it too much. Today I don't feel cravings for it either. When I try my special rice I'll report back as to the difference. It says to soak it for 2 hours before cooking--that was why I ended up with the pre-made stuff. Did not plan ahead for it.

I am going to get the one month introductory deal to the Bikram Yoga place this week. I post-poned my doctor's visit for the first week of April mostly because I want to show some weightloss. I was supposed to go last August. I've been dodging them since then. Time to get into it and give it a real go. My food has been stable and I am feeling confident I can continue to fine tune this foodplan and so I think I am ready to add a new thing which would be the yoga. I am terrified to go. Afraid I will be the fattest there. Afraid I will physically faint or something. You know, insert worst fear here ______ . I know that over the course of their yoga studio I cannot be the only overweight female to walk in the door. I know they have first-timers all the time. I know some take to it and some don't but you don't know which one you are until you actually put yourself there.

Guess that's it.

BillBlueEyes Your Boston weather has been making the news here. I LOLled when the clip showed a guy USING A ROOF RAKE! Maybe it was you? And wow. Those are some icicles. i remember in Ottawa one winter there were pylons on the sidewalk in some places warning pedestrians not to walk there due to falling icicles that size. Be careful out there!

Lexxiss Nice to see you. Happy news re: your old friend. I wish you could jet off to Hawaii right now! I feel the freedom you describe due to being 100# lighter so the fear of meeting up with people has been lifted. yes. I would love to feel that too. Very sorry the DD situation has not lightened up. It often takes a good long while... KUDOS for looking after your own needs while you are being called upon to help others.

CeeJay Hi! I too returned for a few days, I think 2, to Phase 1 SBD to right myself. It worked. I think it is a sound strategy as I haven't abandoned ship in spite of some stormy seas... I really feel like I have a tool for the long term. Finally. And your body scan. WOW. that is fantastic. I believe I eat to hide certain facts from myself. It is counter-intuitive of course, but if we are not ready, or not feeling up to making the changes to deal with the pain/the source of pain of course we would hide it from our consciousness. Who wants to feel crappy all the time? No one. So encountering your own body in a safe quiet loving non-judgmental way is so very positive. To feel true compassion for ourselves is necessary. Army drills and yelling at yourself to get it together are not very motivating over the long haul. Understanding and loving yourself is a much more sustainable and pleasurable way forward. Kudos Kudos Kudos.

maryann
Quote:
But the two do not coexist on the same plane apparently. Now I am five years old throwing a tantrum "But I want want want want to eat pasta and wear my pretty clothes."
I so feel this. It's like for me I get a big question mark over the "but I want this much of this, no MORE of this" and "how come I can't wear that pair of pants anymore?" why can't I have both?? I often have an emotional gap between the two, My thinking mind understands, the emotions not so much, and I am more emotionally driven than anything. It's a real process. Think think think has to be employed. Often. plus planning. Kudos for being an oldtimer. And for feeling spry!

gardenerjoy Your sketchnoting (was surprised someone made a word to describe this kind of graphic note taking - I do it all the time - it helps me remember) reminded me of a visual artist whose books are all written by hand with drawings inserted:http://www.amazon.com/Succulent-Wild...sap_bc?ie=UTF8 which also reminds me of two of my most favorite books ever: http://www.amazon.com/Me-Write-Book-...=me+write+book and this one which I read and re-read a few times a year since I discovered it by accident: http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Unc...of+uncertainty

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-22-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Yesterday was not a good day, diet-wise or in general. I was thinking this morning about how I'd blown the whole weekend but then realized that I'd only blown half - I just need to pick up again today. Three challenges I've got going on:

1) I'm not cut out for life in post-Industrial Revolution society. I can't deal with all the noise - it drives me nutty. Non-stop, ever-present noise and I'm the only one it bothers anymore so I get no consideration from people around me because I'm the oddball. I've thought about it and provided I were rich and not a serf or something, I would trade antibiotics, flush toilets, and women's liberation to live in the Middle Ages just for the lack of noise pollution caused by machinery and over-population. This affects my diet because food and drink are the only things that assuage my anxiety. I'm always exploring other options but I've found nothing that works anywhere near as well. And that's what happened yesterday - I was such a wound-up ball of exposed auditory nerves that I had to start drinking before I went downstairs and shoved my fist down my thumpy neighbor's throat. And it spiraled from there to a pizza delivery order.

Just so you know, ear plugs aggravate my chronic sinusitis, which means I have to take Sudafed, which aggravates my insomnia, which in turn feeds my anxiety and sugar cravings.

2) I can't do stuff outside because it's too cold. Negative double digits wind chill most every day for the last two weeks. Sometimes it will warm up a little on the weekdays and I will walk during lunch breaks at work, but you know, I also have to work. I still get exercise at the gym but getting outdoors is essential to my mental health and I'm starting to feel the strain. I'm almost went out today anyway when an alert came on my phone warning about "dangerous cold."

3) I'm constantly borderline dehydrated because I often don't eat enough salt (seriously) and the tap water at work tastes foul, even when you filter it, and there's no convenient place to get tap water, especially when it's -30 degrees outside. I bought a sugar-free electrolyte drink mix to keep in my office but I don't think it's working. I'm going to have to start bringing cases of bottled water in which is expensive, wasteful and a hassle but I don't know what else to do.

Sigh. I guess I just needed to whine a little. I'll put on my big girls pants and deal but it would be really nice to just be normal and not a sodium-deprived, housebound, nervous wreck.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #159  

Height: 5' 2"

Violette Your words really were mine. #1 and #2 especially. Today was the first day I've been out of the house in 10 days! We went to Mass and I was so glad to be there. We have periods of quiet, and I appreciate that, too.

I was going to suggest ear plugs, because that is what I use when we go to visit someone or go to a Motel. I'll check next time and see what reaction I get.

When I walked from front door to car door, I used cane and tiny steps, and for first Sunday ever, we used handicaped parking. Ice everywhere but we actually had above freezing air finally.

Dehydration. We have safe plastic water bottles that we put on our bikes when we would head into the mountains to fish. I fill at least one with filtered water from home and carry it whenever I go out. I can take 2 if I'm going to be gone all day. Only thing is, never leave them in a car during hot weather - I don't trust even the "reliable" plastic to be safe after being heated.

HUNGER: I don't wake up hungry, nor do I go to bed hungry. Too often forget to eat now that I'm NOT the chief cook in the house. We always keep a fruit bowl filled in sight and it is so easy to simply get a fresh fruit if I am hungry.

LENT: what a great time to make a strong attempt to become more self-disciplined!!! That and to stop directing others in the house who do tasks differently than I do.

Now to firmly tackle the excess weight!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #160  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Hello all! I know I introduced myself, and then disappeared. Did not mean to.

I had influenza A in January, and was sick! Then it took a few weeks to get better. Then, as things go, got busy!

We are now deep in the trenches of calving season at the vet hospital. Already had 4 calls. And we've got a good 8 weeks, of this to go.

On the other hand, now that I feel better, walking more, back to lifting, was slacking off.

And, many other things going well.

Now, if the weather, would just get it's poop in a group! NO MORE SNOW! WARM UP! SUNSHINE!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #161  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, in the sunshine! Feels like I haven't seen the sun in weeks. One more neighbor stopped me as I passed to borrow the snow rake; we all have the same problem. Additional exercise was checking out some contemporary art at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. I work at enjoying the stuff that I like rather than grousing at the stuff that I don't understand.

Evening snack was in order, CREDIT moi, afternoon needs work. This week my normal activities are on schedule. For two weeks everything has been cancelled because there was no place to park.

onebyone – Such an interesting reminder that feeling hungry isn't the worst thing ever. Kudos for spotting that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat plan to take breaks from TV for exercise - not snacks.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I join the vote that you take a Hawaii vacation - now while Colorado weather is cold. Kudos for remaining mindful of food choices despite continued tensions. [Great idea: BBE Snow Rake Rental would make a fortune. Roofers are charging $595 per hour to remove snow and ice dams.]

maryann - Congrats for being an "old timer" with Kudos for making yourself one of the spry ones. [Oh Yes! Malted Milk Balls were a favorite of my childhood.]

Janelle (shcirerf) - Glad you've past your Influenza A. Do you go out on the calving calls? We had a poster here a few years ago who moved with her DH into a nearby shed for the weeks for calving for their sheep. They got little sleep.

love2garden - Yay for handicapped parking places when that's what is needed. This "forget to eat" is a foreign notion to me.

Violette_R - Ouch for the sensitivity to the constant barrage of noise in our society. And Ouch, indeed, for a "thumpy neighbor." Sometimes a good whine is the first step in finding a solution.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much
Try to think of specific situations that might arise while you're away that will test your resolve. Then figure out what you'll do about them. Consult your diet coach if you like.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #162  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

The scale said 272.9 today. yay! I am so grateful.

Will check back later.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #163  
Green Tomatoes

I completed my first 5-pound loss! Woohoo!

Like onebyone, I'm also working through feelings surrounding hunger. Yesterday I was aware of this thought "I want to feel full." It was an hour or so after lunch and an hour or two before a planned snack. I wasn't hungry, exactly, but I suddenly had this intense desire to be full. I recognized the feeling, but I hadn't named it that before. Metaphorically, I think it might mean I was looking for satisfaction at a moment when I've got three projects up in the air, none of which are going to resolve any time soon and only one that I have any confidence about completing to my satisfaction.

I made a playlist this morning with two Rolling Stones songs, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and one Elvis Presley song, "A Little Less Conversation" with this line that makes me laugh: All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me.

My OP number looks terrible, but the choices were good -- just not what I wrote on my plan. It was a weird day, but I did enjoy both spectacles -- The Great American Race and Hollywood's annual homage to itself.

WI: -0.5 kg, Exercise: +25 835/1200 minutes for February, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: Thanks for the book recommendations! I have Sark on my shelf. I'm familiar with Maira Kalman, but not that book -- I requested it from the library. Have you seen Lucy Knisley's books? She makes memoirs in graphic novel format.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 02-23-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #164  

Good Morning, Coaches.

A nice Sunday with DH and DS with not much to do but share meals and giggle. Went to the club to swim and jacuzzi. (I know, I know, we are spoiled with 70 degree weather - but not really . . . there are showers scheduled for the end of the week and I hope they materialize.) Super nice surprise: A lady I sponsor in AA dropped off a dinner of Taco soup. I texted her "Now that is my language of love."

Day 5 in the book for no wheat and more exercise. This doesn't necessarily mean a drop in the scale right away ( I know that) but it is a big step toward health. Yoga in an hour.

onebyone: I needed to hear that "thin people are hungry alot." I too have a goal of going to bed hungry and being grateful for that feeling. Super credit for the low number

Violette: I also am extremely sensitive to noises/stimulus. In a concert or a movie I go insane with peripheral talking. I want people to stand in line, stay quiet, never go outside the rules. Some of this is an occupational hazard from being a teacher for 25 years. I try to realize when I am becoming anxious and use it as an impromptu mediation practice. If I don't work on my ability to block out the stimulus, I will have no peace. Also, A book called "Quiet" helped me tremendously in understanding myself.

love2garden: I have been enjoying this Lent. For the first time in many years, my little family is ALL IN. The fasting brings me such awareness on my dependence on food. I am practicing on depending on God instead.

BillBlueEyes: Last spring our modern art museum in SF was closed so they lent exhibits to the Asian Musuem. There was a show called "gorgeous" that married the two. WOW! Buddhas hanging around with a laminate Michael Jackson. That really stretched the mind.

gardenerjoy: I get "a desire to be full." This again is a time when I am working as my five year old self. Is the fullness a buffer from environment, and added layer of security? I wonder.

Last edited by maryann; 02-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Heighdy ho, coaches!
Yesterday was so BEAUTIFUL, the sun was shining, melting that awful snow, and it was warmer than its been in a long time. Makes you feel like you can make it!
DH, DS and I took a walk in a local park to celebrate actually enjoying being outside- a brisk walk as DH is much taller than me, so I got some good cardio in!
There are treats in the work frig that I am craving....I will let myself have coffee and a healthier granola bar instead. Go away brownie!!

Gardenerjoy- cool sketchnoting! also, it sounds like you make a good wheat bread- do you have a particular recipe to share? I keep meaning to make bread in the colder months-
Violette- I hear you, noise is everywhere- tv and muzak playing in stores and waiting rooms. I feel like the weirdo when I pull out a book to read and try to tune it out. Its very invasive. whine away, its very cathartic!
Maryann- cool story about the Emmys!!
Closed Thread