Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #166  

Height: 5' 2"

Curlyjax Sunshine here, too, melting snow and softening it enough to get some paths thru. Still too cold for me, asthma restricts and I resent it as I loved to be outside in snow.

Anytime I'm going to a waiting room I take my own magazine to read then if finished simply leave it for someone else. It is also a time I envy DH who can remove his hearing aids and get some relief.

MaryAnn "Quiet is a book I read just last year. It certainly helped me understand my hatred of cocktail parties and some meetings that had me tense. Last Class Reunion had me heading for the woods for some quiet time without need to talk or listen.

Must return Beck's green book Wednesday, can't renew it again. Sure have learned a lot that I'm using. Special check lists are copied for use when I need them.

Grilled Portebella Mushrooms with garlic sauce on Whole Wheat bread and fresh Asparagus for supper this evening.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #167  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I dropped off my taxes today, yay!! I had a triple feat last week where I went to AC Moore, Michael's and Target without buying any of their snacks, credit! I did buy drawing supplies - I started sketching again, and find it meditative. I am doing one sketch a day and reading Danny Gregory's Art Before Breakfast - Onebyone and gardener joy might enjoy his sketched memoirs.

CeeJay - Isn't that Kabat-Zinn CD from the Mindful Way Through Depression awesome?! I need to find mine and start listening again. I am glad it is helping - my body scans have been good for me. Maryann - this book and CD are worth checking out as is Full Catastrophe Living.

BBE - your roof rake makes you quite the popular neighbor! Glad you had some sunshine.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 AM   #168  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Normal activities are resuming in my life. Walking, CREDIT moi, remains a pleasure because the cold temps are keeping the snow from melting so the sidewalks aren't flooded. Yet. It's got to happen if the snow is to leave us.

Eating was OKish. Meals were spot on; snacks only close. I had dinner alone so for my salad I took a wad of lettuce on a plate - no salad dressing - and ate it with my fingers as I read a book. There were no cameras; no children in the house; I'll forget about it so that it didn't happen.

onebyone – Yay for a cooperative scale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for input from the great Diet Coach, Elvis Presley, "All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me."

maryann - Yay for drop in Taco soup - not sure where the lettuce and fried tortillas fit into that. Kudos for Day 5 in your no wheat journey.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yep, shopping three big box stores without buying treats is Kudos worthy.

curlyjax - A brisk walk with family is just the best there is.

love2garden - Your Grilled Portabella Mushrooms has me drooling. Did you do those outside?

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much
These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home:

Exercise more. It will help counteract small amounts of overeating. You can either do formal exercise or take advantage of recreational activities that require a moderate to high expenditure of energy.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #169  
Green Tomatoes

I set up a new ticker for my next 5 pounds! I'm also finding a physical ticker useful so I made a new one of those: 5 pounds marked in tenths of kilograms and a post-it note to move with the weight changes. My desire to move that post-it note down the sheet is surprisingly motivating!

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +50 885/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Nuxmaga: thanks for the author suggestion -- I requested a couple of Danny Gregory's books from the library.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 179/179/130

Height: 5'5"

May I join you guys? I've just started the book, and I'm not at the "find a coach" day, but I've been stalking your thread anyway!

A little about me: I'm 38 years with a 2 year old daughter. I have issues with compulsive overeating. When I'm not "on a diet", I'm eating all day long. I'm 5'5" and almost 180 pounds. I would like to lose 50 pounds. For now, I'm easing into this using Beck with the No S Diet. I think in a week or so, I might switch to calorie counting, but my main goal is to feel "normal" around food, whatever that may be.

I haven't quite gotten through the opening chapters, but I will tonight, so tomorrow will be my day 1.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I've already had to fall back onto my backup diet. Oh well?

Welcome, Amy37. Nice to meet you.

Last edited by Violette_R; 02-24-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #172  

Height: 5' 2"

Calorie counting seems the only thing that works for me.
I've tried 'eye balling' sizes, but altho I love sports, I don't distinguish between golf ball size and soft ball size serving of rice, etc.

Welcome Amy.

Bill you answered what I was wondering about. How you could walk outside with all that snow. Ours has been melting for the third day and water is everywhere!!! At least the snow will be gone by March now.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #173  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Amy37

Amy37

And even though you've been here for a year,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #174  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two good walks, CREDIT moi, both to events so that I wasn't concerned about distance - I had to go where I was going. It was, however, cold. Hoping for above freezing today.

Dinner was leftover 13-bean soup, on plan, CREDIT moi. I do love bean soup when it's cold outside.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that new ticker. We learned last night about the value of the collections at natural history museums and the threats to their funding since they are "obsolete now." Seems that many new species are being identified from museum collections. The Missouri Botanical Garden was one of the places mentioned along with Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle de Paris. DNA extracted from the hundred year old shell of a Galapagos Tortoise was one surprise.

love2garden - LOL at "I don't distinguish between golf ball size and soft ball size serving of rice, etc." BTDT. When I tried a 'small' dab of ice cream in the evening, that quickly escalated into one honking bowl. Kudos for being aware of what works for you.

Violette_R - Backup diets are there to be fallen back upon. Yep, you're moving along.

Amy37 - Kudos for starting out with your primary diet and backup diet already in place. And Super Kudos for setting up your Diet Coaches even before starting Day 1. I do recognize the notion of wishing to feel "normal" around food. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much
These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home: . . .

Eat brunch instead of breakfast and lunch. If you sleep later than usual, combining these two meals will allow you to eat a larger meal in the evening.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #175  
Green Tomatoes

I think I found a solution to my grumpiness over hunger. Whenever I think "I'm hungry" or "I wish I felt full," I say: I feel lighter! Same sensation, new interpretation, much better mood.

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +60 945/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, Amy37!

BillBlueEyes: thanks for the story from the natural history museum. Very cool that they can get DNA from old specimens to solve current mysteries.

Violette_R: good for you for moving to your backup diet. I suggest choosing another. I used four different diets on my way to losing 70 pounds, switching every time I stalled or got bored. And, I always had Weight Watchers in the back of my mind if all else failed. I didn't really want to pay money or be sold on their packaged foods that don't fit my definition of natural -- as it turned out, I was willing to try most anything to avoid that fate!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 179/179/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the welcome!!

To answer your questions BillBlueEyes, I read about the Beck book somewhere on 3fatchicks when a member asked what book motivated others to stick to their diets. I didn't buy it at first, because I couldn't get it for my Kindle, but I kept coming back to Amazon to read the reviews and finally bought it. And I found 3fatchicks a long time ago - I always do google research when I'm looking at a new diet and this community has quite a lot of information. I registered last year and tried to join an intermittent fasting thread, but quickly found out that wasn't for me. I knew I needed more than just a diet plan to succeed, and I am hopeful that this is the answer!

I will write my advantages response card either over my lunch hour or tonight and post it here tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I am really, really struggling with food this week. And the food is winning.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #178  
Green Tomatoes

Violette_R: Here are some things that help me when I'm struggling:

Keep posting (good for you!).

Get back to the pink book or the green book -- start from the beginning, if that's what it takes.

Write a food plan for the rest of the day or tomorrow. Make it generous enough that I have some confidence that I'll follow it.

Exercise.

Get enough sleep.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Lent Fast day and credit for success. Super credit because I baked cookies, brownies and bread for a potluck and did not taste one bit of wheat ( I have given it up for Lent.) I rarely cook desserts. DS was shocked and then thrilled to get the beater. He is an active and healthy 12 yo so I didn't feel too guilty.

7000 steps at work. Saw several of my students graduate from my reading intervention program. One was so thrilled he called his mother .That felt good.

Welcome to new folk.

Last edited by maryann; 02-25-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #180  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation wobblies

Coaches

Off track today and part of yesterday.
Ate some sweet stuff and must stop. I think my success spurred me to eat things off of my list. As soon as I reach a target I promptly relax the reins and head over to the goodies. So long as I don't linger there too often. So long as I return to what works for weight loss.

I'm just moving forward. I'm not going to get stuck here. Things have been going too well to let the innersaboteur get the better of me.
Closed Thread