3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/301319-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-january-2015-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

Mountain Mamma 01-24-2015 02:16 AM

Prodigal Chick Returns

Hello Becksters, sorry for being AWOL. Have been busy, then had to reset my password and all sorts of sorry excuses.

Will catch up later.

pamatga 01-24-2015 02:30 AM

I see that I haven't been here since 2-27-14. Wow, time flies. I found my BDS books when cleaning. Time to revisit these food behavior strategies for the rest of my weight loss journey.

I hope that I can re-connect again and share my journey along with supporting yours.

Pam

BillBlueEyes 01-24-2015 06:40 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Folk dancing for exercise, CREDIT moi. Last night was one of the nights where I felt that I had two left feet. Wish I could get over the feeling that if peasants can learn these dances, then I should too. Also walked to the library because my copy of Alan Turing: the Enigma had arrived. Seems that the libraries noted the demand and ordered a bunch of copies. I got an unread paperback with the new Douglas Hofstadter preface. Fortunately, I've just finished Cryptonomicon - an extraordinarily good read that sucked me in for all its 912 pages. The crypto wheels in my brain will be spinning for a while.

On plan eating, CREDIT moi, including snacks! Last night the snack table offered eleven items and I had . . . water. When I'm good, I'm very, very good.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This: "not thinking about food all day" is what I need to remember is the benefit of following a plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "one day at a time" when family complexity just sits down on top of you. Hope your tenant accepts the notice and moves out; around here, tenants have been known to use the tenant-friendly courts to get some six months of free rental usage before physically leaving. Continue to send supportive thoughts for your DH's DD.

Pam (pamatga) – Yay for serendipitously discovering your Beck books. Which one will you start reading?

maryann - Standing down that regular Friday afternoon work event is a big deal - Kudos. Good luck with your FitBit.

spanky - LOL at, "so far [which is not far] today" - we can celebrate each hour of the day.

nationalparker – Useful to use "mad and full and cranky" to recommit to your plan and to the strategies for avoiding the sabotaging thoughts that make food seem like an attractive option for what to do next. Love your kiddie chop sticks. I once saw a Japanese father make such a pair for his small son at a sushi restaurant using a rubber band.

flnu - Congrats on that 1.5 pounds gone forever. Welcome to the Green Book club.

Karen (karenrn) - I'll never get bored reading about six hour hikes in heaven-on-earth. You choose your friends well.

Mountain Mamma - But you overcame the excuses and are back - Kudos.

love2garden - Yep, that eating from the bag business is how I find it easy to fall off plan. Sending supportive thoughts as you face taking care of your eyes.

Readers -
Quote:

day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

3. You might find it difficult to return to restricted eating once the event is over. . . .
The dieters I work with are generally amazed when I tell them what I usually do at social events: I plan in advance to eat about 25 percent more calories - at most - than usual. Which is what I did last summer at my daughter's wedding. I skipped all the hors d'oeuvres except for a few raw vegetables. I ate all of my salad and part of the main course. I didn't eat any dessert. (I brought a lot of wedding cake home, though, and ate a small piece for my evening snack every night for the next week.) And do you know what? I had a fabulous time. I enjoyed what I ate and didn't feel deprived. In fact, I felt really good that I'd stuck to my plan and avoided overeating. The reason it was easy for me to do so? It's because of the idea I have: Being thinner is more important to me than the momentary pleasure of overeating on special occasions.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 217.

ForMyGirls 01-24-2015 07:14 AM

Hello coaches,

I have decided to do weekly postings this time 'round so life stays in balance!

I am still in the prep stage so not tracking or planning food yet. But i have been ramping up my exercise a bit which is good.

I am finding that my motivation is a struggle this time around. It always seems so precarious. For instance I took up swimming late last year and have been really enjoying it but then we were on holidays for 2 weeks and when I got back I couldn't find my goggles and if sent me into 3 days of "it's all too hard". Feels like I am constantly pushing myself to stay committed. Oh well! Credit to me that I keep getting back up off the mat and giving out another go.

BBE - you were interested in tales of sunny down under. We are feasting at the moment on cherry tomatoes. My partner is a keen veggie gardener and he had excelled himself this summer. We're bringing in a large bowl every day.

karenrn 01-24-2015 08:40 AM

Good morning coaches,

Well, I was going to say no credit for yesterday, but in fact I did go to the Y and do my Fit Climb workout. They suggest 40 step ups times 3, front, each side and step downs. I decided that's a bit much to start with so I cut it in half and hold a 5 pound dumb bell in each hand. I can't really do a real push up yet either so I have the bar as low to the floor as I am able to do it. The program is for 12 weeks and I actually have twice that, so I will do my best which will be much better than not doing it. I want to get stronger, but don't want to injure myself getting there. I am sore this morning, especially from the push ups.

Food was good until we went out with friends in the evening. I must say I had 3 beers, food that was too many calories and ice cream when I came home. Yesterday a friend and I were lamenting about always having to watch what we eat and I think I kind of was planning to go off the rails. Back on track now and you know I feel okay about it.

This morning I have greeter duty at the Tom's Thumb trailhead from 8 to 10 and then I'll actually do that hike which I haven't done in quite some time.

Bill Your folk dancing sounds so fun. There are line dancing lessons at a restaurant/bar here that I would love to do. DH, not so much.

ForMyGirls I looked up the hike you mentioned, which for some reason I no longer see in your post, it looks incredible. What a goal.

Maryann Huge credit to you. I'm so inspired by your post that I'm heading to the copy machine with the green book as soon as I finish this post. Today will be day 1 and let's see if I can get on a roll like some of you. I had the Fitbit and loved it. I have something different now, just cause it will also connect with a heart rate monitor. Anyway, I love being able to see what I've done and sometimes it does encourage one to take a few more steps to meet the goal.

Nationalparker Well I guess we kind of went off the rails together yesterday. Onward! and onward on the rails.

Love2garden I can't keep Cheese its in the house. I bought them for Chex Mix and luckily was able to send the remainder home with my nephew. Of course I bought the huge box from Costco. Regarding the cataract surgery: My Mom had poor vision and wore glasses and then contacts her whole life. When she had cataract surgery, they replaced her lenses and she saw better than she ever had. She was just delighted. My cousin had the surgery this week and I haven't talked to her yet, but will soon.

Gardnerjoy Thanks for the kind words. You are another inspiration with the Success Sheets, in fact you are the leader. I'm starting today. Sometimes I think half my time is thinking about food, what I will eat, what I won't eat, what I want to eat. Making a plan and not thinking about food sounds great.

To those of you with stressful situations going on, I hope more peaceful days are coming soon. I want to say I wish I could take some on for you, but that won't work so instead I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hello to all the rest as I head for the copy machine!

onebyone 01-24-2015 09:05 AM

vagaries and inconsistencies

Coaches

Finally a proper check-in this morning.

I weighed in (credit) and saw a rise in the scale to 279.1. I am always disappointed when I am doing something like the phase 1 of SBD and the weight doesn't just head downwards in a straight line. I, it seems, will never get over that. And so, I know, this is blip and a reflection of salt and large-ish portions. And possibly two extra-large steins of water flavoured with sugar free flavour packets, which I consumed late last night. It probable doesn't count as simply water when you add stuff to it. Or, you know, it's the body doing body things. Let it go I tell myself...

Another thing I need to let go is my anxiety over getting the stuff I locked into my studio yesterday morning. I got there to start my second painting, due Monday morning, and I dropped all my stuff into the studio: phone, purse, keys to studio door/outside door, painting supplies. My landlord was running his moving truck in the outer garage bay (I have a converted office space in this bay for my studio) and the fumes were ickky as the garage door was down to conserve the "heat". (It's only minimal heat, but at least we have some.) I didn't realize he would still be there so I had parked in his way when he wanted to leave so I thought I'd better just move the car and then I thought I'd better close my door cause those fumes will get trapped in my studio all day if I don't, so I closed the door and went out and moved the car, came back in and my studio door had locked on me. I guess I thought if I had unlocked it, it was unlocked. And, of course, there used to be a spare key, now lost for about 3 months, which I kept thinking I need to replace and didn't. So I spent about 2 hours trying to remove the doorknob by pressing in this tiny tab on the side of the doorknob, on the stalk of it. It pressed in but would not release the knob. I asked the landlord if I should call a locksmith and he was horrified. He said he'd do it and I am waiting... He's the handyman type as is his son and I know he won't let the doorknob defeat him but no clue how long it will take. My deadline is Monday 8am. I may need to buy some paint, a few brushes and another canvas today to just start at the painting at home. I'm telling you guys all this cause I feel the stress of this situation growing as the time passes. I think if I don't hear anything by 11am I will get DH to take me to the art store so I can get a canvas and some basic paint and brushes-they'll all be used later anyway-so I can get to work.

Time to plan my food. Today is Day #6 of 14 days on Phase 1 of SBD.
I :congrat: celebrate being out of the 280's today.

Bye for now!

gardenerjoy 01-24-2015 10:18 AM

CREDIT for walking by myself when DH didn't get home from his activity until later than expected. Turned out he was tuckered out, anyway, so it was a good decision.

CREDIT for reading and reviewing A Short Guide to a Long Life by David B. Agus -- not much new, here, but that's kind of the point. It's a quick check-up to make sure that we're following the current advice and haven't missed something. My review is here: A Short Guide to a Long Life #BookReview

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +40 935/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

love2garden: thanks for the reminder of the importance of serving a portion of something and not pretending that I can control myself when eating out of the box or bag. I'm like karenrn -- my best solution is to not have that sort of thing in the house.

nationalparker: I love the idea of thanking your walls for shelter! A hot bath is my go to way of stopping a binge -- sometimes, before it starts but not always. Good for you for landing on that idea! I think you'll find the green book really helpful. Planned eating is what finally got me to stop the sort of craziness you describe.

flnu: Cool that you're joining the green book band.

maryann: I've got a Fitbit. Recently, I've been wearing it but mostly ignoring it. I think I'll build that data into my exercise goals next month. I really like how well it works -- especially that it counts steps but not bumps in the road when I'm driving.

Mountain_Mamma: great to have you back!

pamatga: glad to have you back, too!

BillBlueEyes: Libraries do this: "libraries noted the demand and ordered a bunch of copies." I think we should get the word out more about that so people don't fret when they are number 357 on the waiting list. Looking forward to how you like that book. I've yet to read a book about Bletchley Park that hits the spot for me -- I'm thinking that biography might be what I'm looking for.

ForMyGirls: This quote has been helping me understand that motivation struggle, lately:
“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.” ~Zig Ziglar

karenrn: excellent work to get stronger in a way that doesn't cause injury. I have to be so careful with that anytime that I'm following a program.

onebyone: great that you have a Plan B to deal with the frustration of being locked out of your studio. I love the way you talked yourself away from the frustration that weight doesn't drop in a straight line even when it clearly should!

maryann 01-24-2015 12:45 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome back, Pamatga.

KarenRN: I do get into swings of "This is ridiculous" concerning how much I have to look at my food. Then I look around on the street, at my school, in the city and see how everyone is gaining so much weight. Our lifestyle in America seems to dictate constant vigilance just to stay even. This was not true in the early 80s when I was one of the RARE kids over 200 pounds. I was a freak. Nowadays I would have been nearly the norm. I feel a little like that movie "Benjamin Buttons" (or something) who lived a life backward. I looked better in my forties than I did in my twenties.

BBE: I am reading a new mystery series called Maggie Hope - Winston Churchill's Secretary. I would not recommend it because it is embarassingly fluff still - lots of WWII scenery and the heroine is a code breaker with a few introductions to Turing. I do like that it reminds me how much food we have now that we didn't have then because she continually mentions rationing during the London Bllitzkrieg.

As for me: I am off to take a walk. Then I have a planned lunch with DS in the city with some neat window shopping including the Lego Store. I have planned a few treats because stage one skills sheets are not about trying to eat less or healthy, but trying to practice discipline by building resistance muscles.

Weight is two pounds below ticker. I am going to change the ticker at the first of the month hopefully downward :0

love2garden 01-24-2015 02:05 PM

Thank goodness for the computer offering us this site!!! I really goofed last night, cheese-its called me over and over and after my on plan amount, while reading a book . . . The box landed by my chair and at 1:30 am I finished the book, and too much of the crackers. Oh Well, and went to bed.

When I reluctantly weighed this morning, ALL 5 pounds I lost showed a return! I was so angry at myself, but then thought, I'm back on plan as of this minute. Read all my cards, noted the crash in my Diet journal, recognized my childish behavior, and simply firmly begin again with memories of my disgust and disappointment in myself. Skill Sheets begin again today, food planned and breakfast on plan, time for lunch.

MaryAnn so glad you got the fitbit and the opportunity to see how much you walk on a regular basis. Agree that it seems silly how much time we must spend on food thoughts, etc, but recognize that that is just the way it is and resolve to go on.

[B]1x1 [/, sending good thoughts your way as you start again. Our daughter had a similar disaster and completed a beautiful painting with new medium in less than anticipated, delivered it yesterday and can relax. May you meet your Monday deadline and feel as good.

For my girls Loved the Zig Ziggler quote. Put me in a better mood.

NationalParker Isn't it amazing how feeling grateful can give us such a great feeling? !!!

Bill Keep the names of good books coming. The fluff I read last night will be returned and I'll skip that author. I like fiction with some substance, and am returning to some authors I know can deliver.

Karen Keep the hike info coming. I get good memories from my own limited experience and feel my mouth smile.

MountainMamma and Pam glad to have you here. Please stay with us.

CREDIT: Back on plan and filling out Skills Sheet #1 again. CREDIT: Recognize my childish behavior and shall grow up. CREDIT: Finishing unfinished tasks and breathing free again.

curlyjax 01-24-2015 02:09 PM

Hey coaches! I keep reading and meaning to post, then getting called away.
We are hunkering through a storm here. the older i get, the more anxious i get about snow and icy driving, plus possibility of roof leaking issues, losing power etc. But knock wood, so far so good! credit for shoveling as exercise.

wow, so much going on, its great to read all these posts!

Great to see so much success with the green book Gardenerjoy and Maryann- and possibly someone else?- I may have to find my dusty old copy too!
Welcome back to MountainMamma and Pamatga. Pam, I think i had read some of your old posts when i was lurking last year- they were always very thoughtful i recall.
Onebyone- very stressful to be locked out, and with art due! I remember years ago my toaster started smoking and i panicked and took it outside my apt wearing only a towel- and the door locked behind me. fortunately the office was in the same building and a female employer let me back in!

Mountain Mamma 01-24-2015 09:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone. Exercised yesterday, walked today. Assuaged a late-afternoon craving with plain yogurt. Paradoxically that often works (the tartness?). And if it doesn't . . . well, I tried.

Dog is getting older and needs special food. Am spending more per lb on RX dog food than ground beef. Don't tell DH.

nationalparker 01-24-2015 10:01 PM

Well, back on track today. I decided to stay away from a regular weigh in today - I think a high number would give me the, "oh why bother" mind.

I stayed busy today and am going to hop into a hot bath soon. Snacked more than I needed to (a 110 cal serving of popcorn put me over) but my dinner was light and stayed within calories allotted.

LOVING seeing all the posts here this month and the return of several Becksters!

CurlyJax - Cracking up over your locked out story! Be safe - I complete empathize with your desire to not go out in the bad snow/ice weather.

MountainMamma - I hear ya on the Rx dog food. Ours needs special food after bladder stones (and she's only 5 or so...rescue so not sure) and it's around $70/large bag. What's bugging me is that she's stealing the other pets' food, so she's certainly not limiting herself to the food that's good for her. HMMM - that's me, too, I guess. Dang!

Love2Garden - GREAT job on 'new day' outlook. I hope it turned out to be a day OP for you to build strength and that resistance muscle ... I thought if you can do it, I can do it today, too.

KarenRN - What WAS it with Friday that sent so many of us off our paths? Hope the trail hike was a good one for you today! You've added the idea of Arizona as a viable retirement location in my mind, now, and not just Florida near my brother. I LOVE the ocean and walking on the beach, but want to make sure that we have some active friends, like you've mentioned. Now - we have NONE near us. Not a one. Not like we're blazing the trails, though.

Bill and Joy and Maryann - Thank you for mentioning what books you're reading. I'm reading a light mystery that I just need to sit down for an hour or so and finish!

Here's to stringing two OP days together...

ForMyGirls 01-25-2015 05:57 AM

Thanks Joy for the quote. It also reminded me of an old gem that helps me: "Motivation follows action". Glad to have that back in the toolbox.

Karen - the Overland Track is in my signature, which might be why you couldn't see it again. It has been on my bucket list for pretty much forever. I walked the Dove Lake Circuit which is sort of at the start of the Overland Track this summer. It brought tears to my eyes to see Cradle Mountain in the flesh. Here's to getting fit enough to do the whole thing!

BillBlueEyes 01-25-2015 07:16 AM

Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating 100% on plan continued, CREDIT moi. I've gone back to having a measured scoop of roasted soy nuts for afternoon snack with positive benefits: They satisfy me; they take a while to eat when I eat them one at a time; and my brain associates them with staying the path.

Exercise was shoveling snow, CREDIT moi. It was only a few inches so I was happy using shovels alone. However, a neighbor wanted to bring out the group-owned snowblower for her driveway so we fired it up. We're officially in the snow clearing season. There's a fresh layer out there right now.

onebyone – Several Kudos: one for giving yourself congratulations for "being out of the 280's" instead of only feeling sad that you're not dropping like a stone; and another for keeping your cool about being locked out instead of blaming it all on your landlord.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the review of the Agus book - always helps me to be reminded that the simple notions might be what's needed.

maryann - Love the notion of planned window shopping. Yay for building resistance muscles.

nationalparker – Smart to be aware that you want to avoid the "oh why bother" mind.

ForMyGirls - Yep, motivation is hard to keep in mind, but goals are easier. I just looked up some pictures of your goal, the six day hike over The Overland Track, and Tasmania in general. What a jewel. Perhaps some of those pictures on your fridge would support motivation. [Drooling over fresh cherry tomatoes as I face snow.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for sore from exercising - what great feedback that we're doing what's needed.

curlyjax - I share your concerns about the damage that storms can do. We seemed to have gotten less of this one than the worst prediction that I'd read. LOL at your locked out story; glad it had an easy ending.

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for the Beck Strategy "Assuaged a late-afternoon craving with plain yogurt" and for the gift of a fine sentence.

love2garden - Ouch for cheese-its from the box. From the box and from the bag are sure fire problems for me.

Readers -
Quote:

day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time.

Sabotaging Thought: I'm not the kind of person who can make special requests. I'm afraid that it will annoy the waiter.
Helpful Response: People make special requests all the time. I'm entitled to do so, too. Asking the waiter to modify my meal is okay. So is asking the waiter to wrap up leftovers for me to take home. If I were eating differently because I had a medical condition or a food allergy or because I was vegetarian, I wouldn't hesitate. Eating differently to lose weight is just as legitimate.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 218.

onebyone 01-25-2015 08:33 AM

Pep Talks and Being All Talk

Coaches

"All hat. No cattle." That just popped in my head. I was giving myself a pep talk this morning and yeah, I don't want to be that hat guy. I want to do more than talk about losing the weight this year. I want to do it. And I have begun. But I want to keep going and get through it. I am not shifting my focus this yer, I am not giving up, or changing it up. I have a flexible, do able plan and I am going to figure it out. I will figure it out when I lose motivation. I am going to figure it out when I want to stop before I have reached my goal. I am going to figure it out/work it through/buckle under/distract myself/project myself into my future self that will happen if I stay the course, whatever it takes I will do so that for this year I do not have to report that I am "re-starting". I REFUSE to re-start this year. The only way that I do that is to keep going. NO CHOICE. Thanks Dr. Beck.

So, I did get into the studio. Hello? Know what I did? :dizzy: I left the landlord with the wrong number to call my DH with to let me know the door was open. hello? So I finally checked up on him yesterday afternoon and yeah, he had unlocked it (by taking the door jamb off-the knob never came off in the end), but he couldn't reach me to tell me. We have to add the area code here to dial the phone number and I gave him the common one for the area not the special new one they give cell phones. DUH. All my paints and the canvas are here now. Untouched. I'll start sketching the composition out in about an hour and will work about 12 hours today on it but I am confidence it will be done. I have my image and am excited to paint it. I'll post my work to you guys tonight as further incentive to stay on track. You guys help keep me on the straight and narrow for more than one reason you know!

Better go. Thanks for listening and for the good thoughts my way.