Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #151  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A good food day….everything planned and tracked. Exercise was installing (another) toilet which required only 2 trips to HomeDepot. As usual, a job we thought would take several hours consumed most of the day. I did do my short weight routine, too, before I left the house this morning.
I wanted to check in but need to get off the computer and start my dinner. I've had a banana and 1/2 serving of nuts since early this morning. Scale continues to moved down slowly.

BBE, kudos for letting go of the shirt and the box of books. I always think letting go helps! Yay for a successful electrical moment! Mmmm….lamb is sounding good with the cold weather!

curlypudge, glad your back is better and kudos for taking the initiative to get back on the exercise bandwagon. I have not tried apple cider vinegar but the brand "Bronners" claims all kinds of wonderful results. I think that brand is very good.

karenrn, enjoy your weekend, too! I've been so consumed lately but have really enjoyed reading about all of your hikes. Yum split pea soup!

silverbirch, of course, we know the scale will come back down when we are working on good behaviours! Whew! Wood is work! Yes, I agree, credit for being realistic when we feel the scale will bump up.

MaryAnn, super kudos for 1 week MCS free! Enjoy your evening!

gardenerjoy, kudos for remembering how well your plan worked and then taking time to make one for the current day. Glad you are finding some positive with SSSheet.

onebyone, lots of "stuff". Glad you felt checking in here would help you not turn towards food. I hope you make some bits of progress. It's a lot to complete. PS DH and I have footing the bill for lots of stuff for my mom lately. Oh, well.

MountainMamma, kudos for food OP!

nationalparker, kudos, too, for food OP. I, too, find the first few days more difficult.

love2garden, perhaps library has a green book. Hope your DS made it home from Florida.

Cheryl(gosfordgirl, Body balance sounds interesting! You are great at trying new things!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-14-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #152  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today, food went according to plan -- CREDIT! I continued my practice of calming myself before I eat. I didn't remember every time, but I'm getting there. CREDIT!

I like Lexxiss' abbreviation for the Success Skills Sheet -- I rate my SSSheet for today at about 85%. Tomorrow, I'll focus on calming myself, eating slowly, and giving myself credit.

I'm posting tonight because I made a plan for tomorrow and noted that there won't be time to post in the morning. CREDIT for the plan and for adapting to it.

Exercise: +35 515/1200 minutes for November
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Coaches:

Just a quick check in tonight. I am so happy to report that I ate on plan for the last 2 days, ate no sugar, and exercised. I resisted Tim Horton's, I resisted chocolate at the office, I resisted ditching my healthy dinner last night at the hotel and ordering pizza, and I resisted the urge when I got home tonight to not exercise. Hopefully sooner or later I won't have to fight through each day.

One thing that is really helping is that after literally years of trying, for the past few weeks, since "fall back" of the clocks I have been getting in bed at 9:30 and getting to sleep by a little after 10. This extra hour of sleep has made all the difference in how positive I feel but also in resisting nighttime eating and being able to get up and ride the exercise bike for awhile in the morning.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday evening

Hi Coaches

I am doing a quick post because I was not going to post at all - sometimes just hard to take the focus off other things.

Food has been good today but I haven't planned or shopped for the week yet - and won't have a lot of time tomorrow. I need to get centred and organised.

No exercise today but gym tomorrow. Weight down to a new low again - 182.6 and down 0.8 pounds. I could get used to this. I have dinner all peeled and chopped and ready to go so that won't be a challenge. It is difficult on Sunday morning when I go to class at 11.30 - I normally have my first meal at 11.30 and last meal by 7.30 and going to gym hungry is not so good. I will have to change the day around I think.

Waving to all my coaches - have a good day
Old 11-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - America Recycles Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Seems like little got done for the day. I bought the standard lettuce and veggies at the supermarket but they didn't have strawberries. I'm now stuck on strawberries as a year-round part of my breakfast. I may go back today to right the wrong.

Not much outdoor activity in the cold weather. I should have gone out since it's easy to bundle up against cold - it's wind and rain that are a problem. I made an attempt to balance afternoon snacks with a light dinner. CREDIT moi for attempted recovery. My 'light salad' had both feta cheese and roasted pumpkin seeds - but in moderation. I'm capable of adding enough feta cheese to sink any food plan.

onebyone – Super Kudos for recognizing that emotions lead to eating and other behaviors. Hope you can find someplace to dump the resentments for all the work that you do for your mom - maybe a sculpture of resentment since clay can take a lot of beating while being formed. Good luck at your "Painterly Monotypes" workshop.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I like the thought of working on "calm down before I eat" - it could help me to drain off those static-electricity emotions that build up. Hope NaNoWriMo progresses.

CeeJay - On Yes, Kudos for all that resisting. Getting enough sleep is always on the list of most important healthy activities.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Would seem that toilet lifting counts as it own weight routine. Kudos for completing a project with only two trips to Home Depot - that would be a major success for me.

silverbirch – Yep, Kudos for "Credit for being realistic." Neat to get so much exercise doing work that was needed with the delivered wood.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – It's the sound of healthy eating when dinner prep is " all peeled and chopped." Kudos for recognizing in advance that your day needs to be rescheduled.

maryann - It helps me every time I read your phrase, "Manufactured Chemical Sweets."

nationalparker – Good to hear that the cat made it through alright. Thanks for the reminder, "Slow progress is better than none."

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at "Therapy Group" lunch with old colleagues. Can't wait to hear if you like Being Mortal.

curlypudge - Yay for your back getting stronger. I've never tried apple cider vinegar for anything other than salad dressing.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

what are you thinking?
Try not to get self-critical as you identify your errors in thinking. If you do become critical of yourself, create a Response Card.

Sabotaging Thought: I must be stupid for making thinking mistakes.
Helpful Response: There's nothing wrong with me. Everyone has distorted thinking from time to time. It has nothing to do with intelligence. It just means I'm human. The important thing is to learn what to do about my thinking mistakes. I'm taking the first step right now by identifying them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 197.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning coaches!
Starting the day off checking in so i get to it. Planning to do a short walk to ease back in since my foot is still a little painful, again not sure from what. Back, stomach, foot, somedays i feel i am 87 instead of 47! I'm so grateful for my overall health anyhow, its definitely something you can take for granted.

I must not be eating too much, I have lost another pound or so from two weeks ago so that is motivating!

I started watching season one of Broadchurch last night. It is well done but I sobbed my way through it, I don't like murder mysteries involving children (no spoiler if you haven't seen it, that was on the cover!) but now I'm sucked into it. The British do these type of shows the best I think!

Lexxiss- I am always impressed by your handywoman-ness!
CeeJay- good job resisting those temptations!
Bill- year round strawberries are a treat I also indulge in, also raspberries/blackberries. Its great to find a food that is good for you and tastes great, that my kids view as a treat, so I budget for berries!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Coaches,

Curleypudge: Now that i have to create an hour "buffer zone" before sleep, I have been listening to Agathie Christie audiobook from England. There is something soothing and almost meditational the way mysteries are done there. I agree.

Gardenerjoy: I can't even contemplate trying to calm myself before eating. I need to put it on my "willing to be willing" list.

BBE: What a miracle berries are. I would never by them because because of the expense but I would buy a $4.00 yogurt! Glad those days are gone.

Gosford: Super credit on the downward needle on the scale. That is big news.

Silverbirch: I am at the fact same place. Exercising again and soup make the needle frustratingly rise. Yet they are both so good for me.

As for me, op yesterday and exercise. Walk planned for today, body combat for tomorrow and YoPi class on Monday, ( A cross between yoga and pilates.) I have really let my exercise goals slip so I have made a commitment to try new classes and supplement with a walk. My big goal is to be doing step class at 70!!!

Last edited by maryann; 11-15-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #158  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn, I agree that eating what is healthy is good, but when the scale shows different results than expected, how very frustrating.

Salt is kept low because we rarely eat box food or such, and often are salt free, counting on herbs and spices to add the flavor.

Too cold here to walk, but the treadmill is still an option but one I dislike.

I agree, that needs added to my "willing to be willing" list.

Bill, congratulations on "letting go" Shirt and books, that is quite a CREDIT. Your example should motivate me.

Agree that the time change has me sleeping more and even getting up earlier.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #159  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A full day at work, starting to think about a new research proposal and doing some Spanish translation. Credit for putting in the time. Came home under an intensely starry sky. Credit for taking the time to notice. I was sorry not to take any exercise today (bar a little bit of stretching) but I'm planning more wood-related work tomorrow.

WI: up 0.25lb. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 7.5 marks out of 10. NEW HIGH for sleep.

Karen, split pea and ham soup here too! It’s so lovely and velvety, with chunks of meat in it! One of my favourites. It sounds nice to be with the Therapy Group.

curlypudge, I think I tried cider vinegar way back in the 70s when I was trying to work out what would help my hayfever. It's very good in vinaigrette dressing, of course. I hadn't heard of Broadchurch (no television) but see now that it's mainly filmed on the coast a few miles away from where my mum lives. When I travel there I often stop for a picnic in the town which stood in for Broadchurch itself.

nationalparker, credit for staying accountable yesterday.

Lexxiss, I shall know where to turn if our loo needs work! You are working hard on behalf of your mom. Respect.

gardenerjoy, I rarely say grace before a meal nowadays but do sometimes. Looking back to school, it was a very civilising moment which stopped the headlong dash of the morning and brought everything together for a short period of time. Much kudos for calming yourself before eating.

Ceejay, how completely wonderful to fit in an extra hour of sleep. And one hour before midnight is definitely worth two afterwards. I think enough sleep makes all the difference to my effort to lose weight. (I did manage an extra hour last night but only by getting up at 7am not 6am.)

Cheryl, a new low! Congratulations! It is a great feeling - I know what you mean about you could get used to it. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Bill, feta and roasted pumpkin seeds sound so delicious. Yes, I share your capability to add 'enough feta cheese to sink any food plan'. We must stay strong. I will if you will (or has all of yours gone?!)

maryann, glad the Agatha Christies are helping you out. A good story helps a lot, in my opinion. I'm impressed by the variety of your exercise schedule over the next few days.

love2garden, we hardly ever use salt, either, which makes it all the more shocking when I encounter it. I made bacon stock with some bacon I cured a while ago (exception that proves the rule). That proved a little too much for the split pea and ham soup, I think, so I shan't bother making that stock again. I've added some cold potato to the soup to absorb the salt a bit.

Good night, all. I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #160  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Could have done better today - will aim to do just that tomorrow. Including more activity. Nice to get dressed up for the theatre performance of A Christmas Carol to kick off the holiday season - a bit early. Dinner was turkey mini bbq meatloaves, hot/spicy/ sweet potato chunks with cayenne and brown sugar and other spices, and carrots. Very tasty.

Enjoying a crackling fire and a DH home for several days now. Off to spend time with DH and a better check in tomorrow...
Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good evening Coaches:

Just a quick check in- all is well. Pleased to report an on plan day with reasonably healthy food. Resisted eating sugar when out for coffee with a friend- credit!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #162  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Argh - NOT pleased to report back that I just had three small squares of leftover thincrust cheese pizza (about 2x2) DH brought home from work. he's the only one who ever gets just cheese or veggie when it's ordered for them at work ... so he'll bring home leftovers a few times a year when they do that. WHY did I eat them, why eat anything so late? I walked through and saw those beauties on the counter, then in my mouth. I'd avoided them nearly all day, even though i could easily have worked it in, added a small salad and thoroughly enjoyed it at lunch. I can recoup tomorrow but I feel like I'm always trying to avoid a backslide instead of forward progress. Today was 162.4 so below ticker again ... irritated but wanted to 'fess up in a way.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-15-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:12 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Today's exercise didn't go quite to plan. I went to the class I went to last week (Body Balance - Yoga/tai chi/pilates) and couldn't do much of anything . Last week it seemed a little more achievable but this week it seemed to be all on the knees work - I can't do that post knee replacement and I have to say the twists didn't seem to be helping the spine surgery or the few vertebral fractures I have. I left early but decided not to be discouraged . I need to find other classes I can join. On Tuesday I will go to the TRX small group class and on Thursday I have PT. I should try and go another day but will see - I need to get a lot of work done this week and leaving the house is distracting when I am in the zone.

Food was on plan today and yesterday - I had 3 planned strawberries with dinner. It might have thrown me out of ketosis because I am up 2 pounds today. Hopefully it settles. It is easy to let a bad scale result tip into bad thinking and bad behaviour but I am trying to avoid that and stay positive and on track.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - what a handy-person you are. I think that 2 trips to the hardware store is stellar for such a large job. When I lived opposite one I would often have to go 4 times just to do one small job.

BillBE - with no sweets or sugar in my diet at the moment the strawberries taste SOOO sweet. They are wonderful. I usually keep myself to one large one in the evening. I like a bit of salad with my feta too.

Curlypudge - ouch, ouch and ouch for foot, back and stomach! I hope it gets easier for you soon

Maryann - like your list of planned exercise activities. Makes me want to try harder (and do a step class @ 63). How is your OP challenge going??

love2garden - hope you come to an understanding with your treadmill. I don't use packaged foods either but I do add a "lot" of salt. And I recently found out that on a low carb diet (ketogenic) you need to add salt because in the circumstance of low insulin levels the kidneys excrete sodium. And that is why one feels tired and faint . Good thing really because I love salt - always have. No BP problems fortunately

Silverbirch - I love reading about your very English lifestyle and approach to academic life. So much more like it used to be here - not a US model at all. But I am sure it is changing there for you too.

Nationalparker - Your dinner reads as delicious. Ouch for squeezing in some unwanted pizza but credit for noticing and getting back on track.

CeeJay - Yay for staying on plan and feeling good about it.

Today:
- 184.6 pounds - up 2 pounds!
- Food on plan
- Exercise - went to body balance -

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 11-16-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #164  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Yesterday proved to be substantially under my allotted calories, but I wasn't hungry after dinner so I didn't snack and just let it be since exercise was on the low end of the scale. Credit. Exercise picks back up today as I head to work. I don't think it will be super busy as it's a cold and snowy day. Stopped off at WhFoods and didn't even notice the tastings (there must have been some). It was quite busy and it looks very holiday-ish. BBE mentioned strawberries and I almost bought some organics....decided not to, based on my inability to consume all, since DH is gone, rather than $$. Credit. I did, however, pick up one nice avocado, which I can have with dinner the next two nights.

BBE, wondering if you went back for strawberries….Kudos for a light salad!

gardenerjoy , great to have a plan to calm yourself before eating!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), sorry about the class. I find that often, yet keep trying! Yay for food OP!

nationalparker, I'm learning, through Beck, to pitch someone elses' pizza….a difficult task. Keep on truckin'! Mmm….crackling fire sounds nice!

silverbirch, Yay for a new high with sleep and for taking time to notice starry skies!

CeeJay, credit for OP especially resisting sugar when out with your friend!

love2garden, I don't like treadmill, either. Finally gave mine away, but only because I get supreme amounts of walking in at work.

maryann, kudos for recommitment to more exercise and a plan to achieve it.

curlypudge, kudos for mindfulness which leads to scale moving down.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #165  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Didn't win a handyman award yesterday. I did walk, CREDIT moi, to a hardware store to buy a lithium battery to see if that would make a thermostat work predictably. Got the battery, but No Joy. I was convinced that the only thing that can go wrong with a thermostat is to be installed not-level. Alas, I misjudged; the new ones, even though they look like the old Honeywell round, last-for-fifty-years, work horses have a battery and computer circuit. Ouch. Now I'll have to replace the whole device.

Had a simple dinner, CREDIT moi, before a Baroque concert because I was convinced that we had been invited to a reception afterward. Concert was splendid. I learned the names of the Theorbo (whose neck is so long that you have to put it down to reach up to the upper tuning pegs) and the Sackbut. I was confused about the reception; there was none. So my total for dinner was low. Every evening would be low, without any threat of snacks, if I just purchased concert tickets. The Concert Diet! Wait for my book, LOL.

CeeJay - Extra Kudos for resisting sugar when out with a friend.

silverbirch – Oh Yes, noticing the stars is one of life's joys. In a course I'm taking, the idea was proposed that digital music, even though free, should be added to a country's Gross National Product. I argued that I was happier looking at the sky without free digital music so that metric wasn't a useful approach. Economists are a weird bunch. [You're on; I'll join you in limiting my feta to a modest 'topping.']

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for being aware that you have to exercise with the body you have, not the body you'll have after a few years of exercising. [There does seem to be a club of us - "I like a bit of salad with my feta too."]

maryann - Yay for a new exercise class to stay young. LOL at the name, "YoPi" - but only lightly because whatever you guys invent in California eventually makes its way East.

nationalparker – Yay for an evening of dress up to feel good about ourselves. Drooling over that dinner. Of course, I'm intrigued that your DH can game the system by ordering veggie pizza so he gets to take home the leftovers. Ouch that his little scheme entangled you.

curlypudge - Congrats for another pound gone forever. Hope that foot gets back into hopping about condition.

love2garden - Yay for "herbs and spices." Once DW discovered Penzeys, her flavorings have soared.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes
Once I can readily see the mistakes in my
. . . . .thinking, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 198.
Closed Thread