Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #106  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was within calories yesterday, credit. The Chinese restaurant also had a curry dish, so that's what I choose. I'm sure the sauce had coconut milk, but at least the chicken was thin slices of white meat. I had the lunch special which was a smaller portion, rice and egg drop soup. Dinner was just berries and a low fat yogurt to keep my calories in line, credit.

This morning I did my Bell Pass hike, credit. Food is planned and within calories, credit. I even read my cards this morning and I"ll have to say that's because I woke up at 3:30 and there isn't a whole lot to do at that time in the morning.

I'll pick DH up at the airport tonight at 11 p.m. Way past my bedtime, so I may even try to catch a nap or more before that and set the alarm so I don't forget to get him.

Welcome, Jicarilla!

Silverbirch Yahoo for a new low! What a great feeling. I also enjoyed looking at the plants you are working with. We had the orange one in our yard in Washington and saw lots of the other. Both very pretty.

Mountain Momma Good luck with your exercise. It is so much tougher when we're busy or busy with company.

Nationalparker I can almost feel your determination. I hope things come together easily for you and that some pounds start slipping off. Why is it that sometimes it is some much more difficult than other times? It is almost a part time job for me lately.

CeeJay Your plan looks like one that will bring you lots of success!

Bill Yes, credit for not being rude at the looooong meeting. Also for leaving the travel guides behind. I hear you on wanting them though.

Curlypudge I sure hope that pounding heart goes away pronto when you're not taking the stomach med.

Maryann Good for you for wearing clothes that fit and look nice. I am so bad that when my weight is up I don't want to pay as much for clothes and yet I know that's exactly when I should. I'm so grateful to be heading in the right direction (barely, but I'm feeling hopeful), that my better things will be fitting soon.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quick hello. Exercise resolve: did get in short walk. Credit. Tired = Nap = consuming 3 small chocolates upon wakening. So negative credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Mountain Mamma, you rant away! Every checkout has candy?? How dreadful.
Yes, and at eye level of small children - fiendish marketing all through stores! Good luck with the SI joint. I didn't know personal trainers did massage!

Have a good evening, everyone!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! I'm trying to accept that being on plan doesn't need to be 100% on plan. That keeping it as a focus is a good "start" ... trail walk tonight, before the temps fall like crazy. Food was OP with exception of 200 calories. I can handle that for getting back on track. Tomorrow we're tentatively planning to go to Ikea in the afternoon - I'll take a half day of vacation, and that is walking galore. It means a few hours in the car, but ... I want to get there before it's too close to Christmas and I'm too busy to enjoy it.

Too scared to try on the white skirt that I worked hard to fit into by my birthday and that fit perfectly. I KNOW it won't even zip now. So I'll say I'm going to wait and try it in a few weeks... not wearing it now but wanted to keep it handy as a measurement.

Goal for tomorrow if we do head to Ikea ... not give in to the $1 cinnamon roll or the $1 froyo. We'll plan a lunch/dinner there because I think we're both looking forward to it - it's been more than a year and we'll spend hours there. I'm truly looking forward to resupplying with candles for the long dark winter. You'd think I lived at the north pole.

Promise to get to personals sooner rather than later here. But tonight the bed is calling my name.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Everyone,

Progress Report for Today:

1. No sugar.done
2. Eat a really healthy breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack. done
3. Don't worry too much about what is for dinner- just try to eat a sensible, reasonable portion. done
4. No eating after dinner until bedtime- snack will be one of the following- cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and fruit or oatmeal and fruit. NO other options permitted. done
5. Check in here every night (except Thurs when I am away). done
6. Read response and advantage cards every day. done
7. Some form of exercise every day. done
8. Write in food journal every day. done

Phew!!!

BillBlueEyes- I can relate to meetings that go on and on and on. Want back a few of those hours of life.

curlypudge-hope you are feeling better. Best to get that checked if it keeps up.

maryann- best of luck finding your focus. Like you said---lots can happen before the new year.

silverbirch-yay for one pound gone and a new low!!

Mountain Mamma-credit for walking!

karenrn-credit for keeping food in calorie range.

nationalparker- good for you for getting back on track today!! Have fun at Ikea- that place is good for walking off a few calories.

Last edited by CeeJay; 11-10-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Exclamation Still out here

Hi Coaches

I am still out here and I have been reading your posts so thanks for being here. I have had to take time to get things done and get on with work and feel in control. I have changed my ticker - firstly I put in my most recent low (down from 187 to 184.6 - under 185!) as I had decided earlier. And I also changed my starting weight from 202 pounds (which was quite recent) to the 242 pounds I was when I started this journey in 2009. It makes me feel good to see the progress which for most of that time has seemed to be absolutely glacial. Even now I only seem to lose 1 pound a month if lucky. But it is in black and white that is it going down no matter how slowly and no matter how irritated I become!

I have been struggling to know what to do about the stops and starts in weight loss and regarding niggling but not overly serious health issues. I went and saw the new doctor as I said I would and he suggested even more extreme dietary changes and supplements (I thought I was radical). Before I saw him I had stopped taking steroids and cox 2 inhibitor anti-inflammatories. And I have now halved the dose on the last anti-inflammatory I am on. So I am now on a Paleo, autoimmune protocol (AIP) ketogenic diet (Ketogenic Paleo AIP - low carb, moderate protein, high fat - LCHF) - sounds extreme and it is really. Each one individually has its challenges but together they are interesting to manage. What I have found is that I have fewer symptoms and it is early days yet - takes 2 - 10 weeks to get adapted. I have found it very motivating because I have to start again and I can't manage without planning. I haven't had sugar, sweets, or snacks, packaged or processed food, or off plan foods for ages (except one day last week but I won't go there). It has simplified things and made it easier. I have found a blog where the author is developing all sorts of recipes and meal plans for exactly what I need and it has given me some ideas of what to eat. I do feel motivated and on track and credit me for taking control and ramping things up another level. I am also trying to increase the intensity at the gym after a period of being REALLY bored with it. I am going to try some floor classes - even if I only last 15 minutes of the hour. I need to change it up. All this because I am getting healthy and fit for my retirement!

So I have enjoyed keeping up with the happenings. It is great to see Silverbirch here regularly, Chinamaine is a well remembered coach and it was special to see her drop by, and FutureFitChick is still with us popping in and out. Thanks for the wave Debbie (Lexxiss) the other day.

I will try to maintain a regular presence and focus. Lots of grading of papers and administrivia to occupy me over the next few weeks but I need to read and post to complete the circle of accountability
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #111  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking one more day

Coaches

Another flyby but the intense busyness of the making things variety will be done tomorrow with the final call for ceramic work to be on the shelf before firing. Then it's repairing and refinishing the plywood fence figures I made two yrs ago, a daunting task, and assembling the ceramic stuff I made plus tagging, pricing, and recording it all, getting winter tires on the car, going to my last writing class, and writing what I need to bring to that class tomorrow--let's not forget that--and attending a weekend workshop out of town. That's all this week. Next week my mom moves to a new room, one floor down, I do a Xmas craft sale, and the week after my sister visits and I have my Potter's guild sale where I aspires to sell all the stuff I made. After that back to normal busy vs crazy busy.

Food still going good. Staying conscious that I "eat light at night". Grateful I have found a way to frame this so I get it. Scale has moved a smidge, as before, but thank goodness it did and in the downward direction. Yay.

Must get some sleep. Early start to meet my deadline by 9am, which was*secretly* extended for me. Shhhhhhhh!!

Have a good night.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #112  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Took a walk with DH in the warm weather - credit. Tracked food and came in under goal - credit. I spent time in the studio and also got our newsletter sent out and worked on advertising our open studio - credit. I am working to get things done so I am not overwhelmed - not my usual mode. I usually go with anxious procrastination.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Veteran's Day - Young Readers Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – As I walked, CREDIT moi, I planned to buy the nuts that I needed at Trader Joe's and to leave the dark chocolate covered almonds behind. This was necessary as I was feeling a deep urge to eat a huge bunch of them. It's an easy clue to me that I don't have urges to have one - and only one - but to have a bunch. Their sample was of apple cider made from Honey Crisp apples. I declared rare-and-unusual and gulped the half ounce. So crisp. Loved it. Had to drag myself away from buying a quart because I don't drink cider at home, much as I love it, due to it's pointless calories.

And the triumph: I bought a new shirt, CREDIT moi. Noticed that the warm, comfortable, much-loved, flannel shirt that I'd put on that morning had a collar frayed completely through all its layers. Boy, do I love that shirt. I have noticed myself sneaking out of the house since DW thinks it absurd that I present myself to the world in frayed clothing.

onebyone – That is some crazy busy all right. Hope you find some time for yourself in there. Kudos for remembering "eat light at night" through it all.

CeeJay - Super Kudos for all the done in your post.

silverbirch – Every morsel consumed should sound this fun, "Then I had my mid-morning snack overlooking the bay."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Neat to read, "I am getting healthy and fit for my retirement!" Kudos for pursuing the right eating habits for your health.

maryann - Yay for buying clothes when that's what's needed.

nationalparker – Neat to have a plan to avoid Ikea's temptations. Their froyo calls to me since it seems like such a bargain. Kudos for realizing "that being on plan doesn't need to be 100% on plan" - we're so good at sabotaging ourselves looking for perfection.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for "within calories" at a Chinese restaurant which can be a challenge. Hope you got your DH from the airport.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - LOL at "anxious procrastination." Love reading about a warm walk when it's 43 degrees F outside right now.

curlypudge - Kudos for making it out of Cheesecake Factory without feeling stuffed. Good luck finding the right meds.

Mountain Mamma - Tired is the beginning of lots of bad things. May today be a good day for you.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors.
Here are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting.

Thinking Mistake #6: Self Deluded Thinking
You rationalize by telling yourself things you don't really believe at other times.
Examples:
  • If no one sees me eating, it doesn't count.
  • It won't matter if I give in to my cravings.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 196.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #114  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I stayed within my calories yesterday and continue to gather new weightloss information from my new plan. I did my 5 min. freeweights at home and got lots of additional exercise at work. I weighed and accepted, even though the scale isn't budging much this week. credit. Acceptance, as well, of changing weather; it was 52 degrees when I woke yesterday and is 10 degrees now. Ouch. Oh, well.

BBE, great job not buying the choc covered almonds. DH loves them but I try to buy him other treats since the almonds are very triggering for me.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), thanks for the check in to let us know how its going. Kudos for a nice scale response to your new plan. I understand how time consuming it must be to be working at fitting so many new ways of food into your plan. Credit.

onebyone, kudos for staying the course during your super busy time.

everyone else!

I'm off to get my chores done before work. I have some big paperwork challenges tomorrow and recognize that getting them done will ease my stress factor in an exponential way. Credit.

Take care everyone!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had a strange day yesterday. I've decided to try allergy shots (they helped twice in my life already at age 8 and age 28 -- I'm now 52 so about 4 years behind on that schedule). The modern twist is a 4-hour treatment that jumpstarts everything. They claim it's the equivalent of 6 months of the traditional shots. Since it takes 6-9 months of traditional shots to have a noticeable effect, this is a pretty big advantage.

They set me up in my own room with a recliner so I worked on my NaNoWriMo project and got two days worth of word count!

The treatment included massive doses of antihistamines and prednisone. Prednisone had me awake this morning at 6 and starving. So, today is likely to be weird, too.

CREDIT for posting even though I'm not doing much else, right now. I read Hunger Experiment #6 and I suspect I need help with my coaches to manage it, so I'll be back to write about it tomorrow when things have normalized a bit.

Welcome, jicarilla!

silverbirch and BillBlueEyes: we had our last warm day yesterday. I used it to harvest parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Last night I made Scarborough Fair pesto.

GosfordGirl: thanks for checking in -- great to hear that your new food plan is working so well for you!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches:

Yesterday was a much needed OP. Weight dropped to just two pounds above ticker. Spent a significant amount of time in my pursuit of health:
1 hour walk among the fall leaves.
I picked 5 gallons of Hachiya persimmons from our tree. They now need to sit apparently in a closed container for two weeks to ripen. My beloved Fuyu tree only had six fruit this year.
I picked 20 pomegranates from the tree. Usually I let them fall. I hate the mess of seeding. Then I saw each one costs over $3.00 in the store. I seeded them under water and then froze them for smoothies. I will go back for another round today.
I tracked my food for the 113th day.
I have reconfigured the office following the requirements of Sleeprate. I am not allowed to do any other activities in the bedroom except sleep. I used to watch tv, read, relax. In addition to evacuating the bedroom, I have to do quiet activities for a buffer zone of 1 hour before I go to bed - no tv. So I put a nice standing lamp with soft lighting next to my old settee ( During the day I need bright lights fro for sewing and other crafts). I have put the Boze stereo next to it the couch to enjoy music and listen to audio books. (This also removes the only clock in the bedroom per the program). The phone has become the alarm in there. I have put a heating pad there as well to relax my back. Credit for being willing to change everything to make that forward progress I talked about yesterday.

Silverbirch: A new low is so very exciting. And credit for taking care of physical needs.
BBE and Lexxiss: Ironically, I had dark chocolate almonds for breakfast. Don't ask me why. I had bought a big container and portioned them out into 220 calories servings (which as we know is not a large amount). I stapled the individual portion bags shut (per Beck) and planned my day around around having one. Sometimes i need to break out of my traditional "diet food" I think. They were delicious.
KarenRn: i read my advantage cards because you did.
Good to hear from you GosfordGirl.

Last edited by maryann; 11-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #117  

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, You'al Sunny day with such blue, blue skies that beckon me to come outside. I shall as soon as I post here.

Here in the east, midsection, persimmons are something I've never seen, and certainly can't find at our stores.

Think I'll adopt the practice of lowering light and turning TV off for the hour before bed. No clocks in the bedroom already, I like a dark room. No phone of any kind in bedroom helps.

Last night I was so anxious as we have outside repairs to our home. Very expensive but the difference is amazing. We've decided to go ahead and have same done for addition in the back because it needs more protection from heat and cold. Hard to use emergency money for such purpose, but can't seem to get that part of the house warm in winter or cool in summer, and that is the TV room where we are inactive.

Knee shots have improved my movement so much I walked with DD for over 3/4 mile last night at dark. Chilly but with her for company I stride out and walk differently than when I'm alone. BOY did I feel it!!! CREDIT.

Reading each person's post and appreciate hearing from each. Not good yet to do "personals" well. Thanks for checking in, the words I read do encourage me to keep going.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #118  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Another new low!

What can I tell you about today? I did my flexibility exercises - credit! Doing them every day is really making a difference to how stiff and cronky I feel. I've achieved a few small things, made an effort in other directions (and didn't get anywhere because of other people) and have sat with uncomfortable feelings. Credit.

* Functional advantage of weight loss. I realised that losing weight will really help me when I'm next at my mother's. I'm called upon to be very responsive and to deal with all kinds of issues (yes, like at home but more so) and the fitter I can be, the better. I know that Lexxiss will understand completely.

* Vanity advantage of weight loss. I'll feel better standing in front of the undergraduates in January if (a) I look more gorgeous and (b) I have something suitable to wear. January is a terrible month, sartorially speaking, when I usually end up in dirty black trousers, a number of fleeces and an old hat. February can be even worse. So losing weight may help in finding something that is a little better. Looking smart encourages students, I think.

WI: down 0.5lb NEW LOW. Exercise: YES, flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: YES, some walking about a small town. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 7 marks out of 10 + 30 minutes late afternoon today.

Karen, those two times you mentioned (3.30am and 11pm) are both times I like to be in bed. Not nice to wake up so early in the morning but nice to pick up DH. Glad you liked the plants. They are lovely. The mombretia has to go, though, as it's a bruiser and is taking over. I chose it because it grows along the roadsides here (garden escape, not a native) and slugs don't eat it (they are a very big problem in my garden).

Mountain Mamma, it sounds as though you have a handful of little children. Yes, my trainer does sports massage, corrective exercise and T'ai Chi. He used to be a plasterer!

nationalparker, what a good idea to keep being on plan as a focus but not beating yourself up about not being 100% on plan. Yes, good idea.

Ceejay, so exciting to see all those done, done, dones on your list. Much credit!

Cheryl, that all sounds very demanding but if you're having fewer symptoms it's got to be good. Excellent idea to be healthy and fit for your retirement. 'Administrivia' made me laugh!

onebyone, I read all those things you're doing and then thought I should have a little lie-down on your behalf. You and Lexxiss are human dynamos. Brilliant that the scales have moved downward, however slightly.

Nuxmaga, a walk in warm weather in good company is lovely. I am enjoying it vicariously. I gather that open studios are a lot of work but can be very worthwhile. When is yours?

Bill, chocolate-covered almonds - negative; new warm flannel shirt - affirmative. Most impressed. Yes, perhaps I'll go on a mission to ensure all the morsels I consume are fun. I do like the sound of that.

Lexxiss, good luck with the paperwork. Keeping on top of it is the secret, isn't it? You'll feel so good afterwards.

Gardenerjoy, congratulations on hammering out so many words yesterday. And for trying a new approach to allergy. I think I've heard you mention horrible allergic reactions in the past. I've just looked up 'prednisone' as I see it mentioned so often here on 3FC. I think that it's only approved here in the UK for rheumatoid arthritis.

Maryann, I bought three persimmons last week and we decided they weren't ripe. So I left them and they improved a little but not much. Next time I'll put them in a closed container. Unfortunately, supermarkets seem to pick fruit too early and it never ripens properly (although it does bruise). I envy you such exotic fruit, and pomegranates are meant to be very good for you. Much credit for persevering with Sleeprate.

love2garden, blue blue skies are wonderful! We had grey grey ones today (but the clouds were spectacular). The work you're having done sounds so worthwhile. Is it insulation of some kind? I'm very keen on insulation myself, as this old house is draughty.

See you tomorrow, o coaches!
Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #119  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

A very quick check in. Hiked Bell Pass with two friends that hadn't meant and I knew would like one another . . . they did, double credit. Food planned, journaled and within calories, credit.

Heading to Sedona for the day tomorrow to do the Brins Mesa Hike. I haven't done it and it isn't particularly strenuous, but Sedona is a beautiful red rock area. I would encourage a google.

More tomorrow.

Karen
Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone,

I did everything on my list today- that is 2 days in a row. Credit!!!

We attended our local Remembrance Day Service this morning- it is outdoors and really chilly at -8 C. We spent a quiet day at home thinking about DH's brother who was killed in Afghanistan. It was an emotional day for us.

GosfordGirl- good to see you back. LOL because usually it is you saying that to me. So happy for you to be under 185. I am joining you in getting healthy for retirement.

onebyone- my goodness you are so busy. Made me tired just reading your post. Credit for keeping food sane in it all.

Nuxmaga- lots of credits.

BillBlueEyes-one and only one does not work for so many things. Credit for knowing that.

Lexxiss- kuddos for staying in your calorie range and practicing acceptance.

gardenerjoy-hope the allergy shots work for you.

maryann- yay for an OP day looking after your health. So great that you harvested your fruit. Sounds so tasty.

love2garden- lovely to read about your knee shots helping. Was that cortisone that you tried? I am contemplating that for my arthritic knees.

silverbirch- hurray for another new low.

karenrn- your hiking sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your locations with us.

Closed Thread