Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #46  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, no walk, but at least no snacking while waiting for DH to get home. Not able to really count that as a credit. We were looking forward to him getting salads and a small cheese pizza thin crust, non greasy. Deelish. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was satisfied. Then went to the kitchen while he was showering and took four kedem tea biscuits ... 65 calories ... and added a thin layer of cookie butter!! WTH? Less than a tbsp total, but still - i just wanted to keep on eating.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday evening

It is now 5 minutes past my bedtime coaches and I almost didn't check in.

Weight the same. I thought food was on plan - well I ate what I had planned but I just got to put it in MFP because today has been crazy. All was going well as I just entered everything BUT when I entered the Laksa paste (I made Laksa) I was suddenly 6 g of carbs over and 200 calories over! I see the paste as a condiment not food! So it is best if I plan and enter everything before I eat it. Having said that I still haven't planned tomorrow so I had better do it first thing before I do too much damage.

I have read your posts earlier today so thanks for sharing - will do better tomorrow

have a good day coaches
Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Happily walked, CREDIT moi, in a good-as-it-gets New England fall day. I bought nothing; ate nothing; picked up no books - just a walk. I did get to examine a city worker replacing a mercury vapor street light with a new LED one. His efficiency made me happy. He only replaced the module on the end of the support beam so that the part bolted to the utility pole remained in place. Good idea because it allows the work to be done by one guy instead of two.

Food was OK; snacks still too large. I did skip evening snack since I went out to a meeting immediately after supper. Didn't even have my clementines.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at the overcompensation of white breads in prep for your prep. Whatever it takes. [Thanks for the extra steam engine tips for my next trip to England.]

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I agree; there shouldn't be any calories in Laska Paste - a condiment that only consists of dried chilies. Kudos for recovering by planning for tomorrow.

nationalparker – Took me a moment to get, "Ruffaree shirt on dog" - a little slow here. Now I want one and don't even have a dog. Congrats for being able to wear clothes that made you feel good when addressing an audience. I hate that feeling of wanting "to keep on eating."

Karen (karenrn) - Happily thinking that maybe you're out on your 7.5 mile hike even as I type.

curlypudge - Congrats for a couple of pounds lost that you're keeping off. It's not a race where speed matters. The regular advice around here is to skip personals and try to make status posts. When you have the time and inclination, make one or two personals. It's not like valentines in the fourth grade where the rules are that you have to give one to everyone in the class.

Mountain Mamma - Yep, "She helps with the how" - a great way to view using the Beck strategies. [Why yes, Love Story the book was better than the movie - it was over faster, LOL.]

Readers -
Quote:
Day23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thoughts about the unfairness of dieting may arise sooner or later. Here are some common ones, along with helpful responses:

Sabotaging thought: It's unfair that I can't eat normally.
Helpful Response: Actually, I probably wasn't eating "normally" before, either. Before I started dieting, I was probably eating too often and too much and choosing too many unhealthy foods. I'm now eating normally for a person who has a goal to lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 187.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #49  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches! No check in yesterday, although I had to make a special plan to fit "current events" and I followed it. I brought the toaster out to the dining room and had toast and fruit for dinner. Credit. Sunday was crazy busy at work and I fell asleep while "reading" at 6pm. Woke at 12:30 am and had the crazy thought that if I just got to it I could clean, sand and refinish our kitchen floor in a day, even considering I had an work date at 530am. I just went downstairs and started (DH and pup are gone)….and actually completed it. Once I started sanding I was committed. The kitty just got released...she's been closed in the family room upstairs. It looks spectacular and I can now cross that item off my "really bugs me" list. Credit.

BBE, kudos for "happily walked"!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), credit for checking in, even when 5 minutes past bedtime.

Nationalparker, I will give you credit for not snacking while waiting for DH to get home.

Mountain Mamma, lol. What is odd when I make the morning trip is the sun is rising to my right when I leave and is then is rising on the left when I arrive. We travel very early so as to avoid very crazy mountain traffic (and drivers). We peak at 11,000 ft. 2x. Once at the divide and second atop Vail Pass. So glad you are joining us here!

curlypudge, I always remember the old saying, "screw guilt". Beck shows me the path to letting go of self imposed behaviors that don't serve me well. Many days I don't have time for personals, as I continue to work on my path. What's important is that I check in. Credit to you for doing that! Best wishes as you incorporate green tea.

Gardenerjoy, welcome home! Kudos for willingness in the path of procedure!

Karenrn, credit for no beer!

Work calls...think I can get in the kitchen now for a quick smoothie!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #50  
Enjoying la bella vita

Screw Guilt!?!?! I've never heard of that, Lexxiss, and LOVE IT. And will be sharing that with a guild-ridden dear cousin. Short and sweet. Screw guilt. Brightened my rainy, dreary morning. I'm going to try to reset my thinking this autumn/winter to "cozy" from "dreary". I forgot. I get pretty down each winter - had never seen as gray a winter as we have here. Gray skies, gray houses, gray roofs (now I wonder why it's not rooves like hoof=hooves), gray roads, gray gardens, gray everything.

After doing some extra thinking on it, I tend to 'not want to stop eating' only when I've eaten more volume than I typically eat. Last night = large salad that could have been enough, but we looked forward to splitting the pizza and enjoyed every bite. In looking back, I don't have that feeling when I stop when just no longer hungry. I'm going to do a bit of work with that...

Bill - quick note to say I'm smiling at your observation that the worker was efficient. I remember growing up and my dad would drive by a construction zone and count out the guys who were standing around leaning on their shovel - 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 - EIGHT GUYS NOT DOING ****!!!! And our taxes are paying them to stand around!!! I'd slide down in the seat and pretend I wasn't with him. Now I drive through the zones and think what the heck - they're just all standing around talking!! The apple doesn't fall far...
Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #51  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

A fairly quick check in this morning. Credit yesterday for a good hike, eating within calories and no beer. I made chicken tortilla soup for dinner and it was not a low calorie version, but since it was dinner it was no problem. It was very satisfying too.

I'm heading out for a shorter hike, the Gateway Loop, 4 1/2 miles with a friend. I need to spend a little more time on my Spanish homework today and also get to the lighting store and choose some lights for outside. In addition I make our dogs food and it takes a couple of hours, most of the time just cooking the brown rice. I can do homework at the table and intermittently get up and deal with the food. I wouldn't spoil him so much except he wasn't eating very well and he was spitting out the dog food even after several changes. Now he eats every bite and loves it.

Hope you all have a good day!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #52  
Green Tomatoes

I'm ready to add "stretch" to the list of ways I'm willing to take care of myself today. I think stiffness is contributing to the feeling of fatigue.

Getting help from Lexxiss (screw guilt) and nationalparker (this is cozy weather, not dreary).

Thanks, everyone for being here!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday done

Hi Coaches

Today was a little more mindful and careful so there would be no slip-ups. I have logged everything I have eaten, and will eat, in MFP so there will be no surprises. I have fish (flathead) ready to cook and have with salad and I have planned a snack because I find I am looking for the big SOMETHING so it is better if I plan it.

Mountain Mamma - Glad you like Beck - and that the 'how' works for you

Curlypudge - I too am drinking more green tea - it seems worthwhile to try to stick at and I do like some warm brown liquid to sip on at the desk. Credit for keeping off a couple of pounds.

BillBE - great success not snaring food or books on your travels

Debbie (Lexxiss) - amazing 'crazy thought' and stellar action to get the entire floor done on impulse! Fabulous crossing that off your list

Nationalparker - I love 'cosy' from 'dreary' - now I just need to reframe 'hot and humid' into something more friendly. Good insight into what triggers overeating - it probably happens to me too.

KarenRN - I love reading about your healthy hikes. And when I retire I want to get back to learning Indonesian so you are making me enthusiastic about it

Gardenerjoy - hope the stretching helped! I like the idea of 'Eating only in my eating places' - unfortunately I need to take the sink / food prep area off that list! Hope the preparation is going well

Today:
- 189.2 pounds
- Logged my food
- Under 20g CHO net
- Under 1500
- Gym tomorrow

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 10-08-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #54  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Blood Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Food only OK again. I did stand down the desire for more evening snack than my planned clementines. Small CREDIT moi for that.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included a stop at Trader Joe's. DW and I are suffering the end of blueberry season. We have an upper bound on what we'll pay. So, recognizing the need for one last splurge, I bought two half-pint clam shells and bold-faced lied to DW that I'd only paid $0.99 each. She bold-faced complimented me on my good shopping skills and put the blueberries in the fridge commenting that I wasn't to take more than my share. In fact, she designated one clam 'his' and one 'hers.' "White lie" even seems too strong a term for a dance between mutually consenting adults.

Joy (gardenerjoy)"Stretch" could help me, also. I don't seem to turn around as far as I used to when backing up.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Love, love, love the notion of starting a floor sanding job at 12:30am. Toast and fruit sounds like a splendid dinner. I join the masses in your "Screw Guilt" club!

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for planning the "big SOMETHING" rather than getting surprised.

nationalparker – I buy in to your 'cozy' rather than 'dreary.' I may even start using 'rooves' to see what reaction it gets.

Karen (karenrn) - That's one well cared for pup with handmade food. The chicken tortilla soup sound good to me.

Readers -
Quote:
Day23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thoughts about the unfairness of dieting may arise sooner or later. Here are some common ones, along with helpful responses:

Sabotaging thought: I shouldn't have to deal with this problem.
Helpful Response: I have three choices:
  1. I can give up and stay at this weight - or, more likely, continue to gain weight every year.
  2. I can diet on and off. Spend some day/months/years eating whatever I want, some days/months/years trying to stick to a diet, and most of the time weighting more than I want to.
  3. I can accept the fact that dieting isn't fair and move on, continuing to do what I have to do to lose weight. I'm freely choosing this third option.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 187.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #55  
Green Tomatoes

My sleep seems to be back to its normal dysfunction. So, I guess I'll have to quit blaming everything on jet lag. Lots of busy-ness today, but I have a full food plan and no reason to eat anything out of the house. So that's the plan.

GosfordGirl: good job getting back to MFP. I need to add that back in soon. It really helps.

BillBlueEyes: LOL at the blueberry dance, complete with "his" and "hers." Enjoy them!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #56  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Floor turned out spectacular! I got furniture moved back and the rest of the mess picked up this morning while I went in and out watching the eclipse. Best I've ever seen from here. I think lunar is better than solar....don't have to use a shoebox with pinholes. lol.

Food went well yesterday. I had 1/2 mushroom omelet at work. I knew it was best to eat something after my 22 hr floor marathon. Credit. I still weigh everyday and bounce around in maintenance yet my clothes are talking different. I found a pair of cool REIpants this morning in the bottom of my drawer....they are way baggier than the last time I had them on. It's a good reminder that the scale isn't everything. Eating healthy is my #1 priority.

Gotta run today.....taking my mom to an appt. and will fit a little shopping in. Costco included. Yay for not feeling urges to graze there anymore.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Just had a long post & it went poof. Thought I had mastered the mechanics of this site, how hard can it be?

Meant to check in last night after my later-than-usual workout. Gym practically empty - Nice! Took advantage & exercised more intensely than usual. But got home too tired to fire up the computer so fell into bed instead.

Lexxis, wow, the floor sounds like quite a job! Was at CD few years ago at around 13K. Amazingly beautiful but huff puff wanted to get down ASAP. You're right, eating healthy is the most important goal.

Gosfordgirl - If "Laska paste" is (are?) dried chillies (I even looked up a recipe!), then I'm with Bill, where are the carbs or cals?

karenrn, are ALL your hikes 7.5 miles? Impressive!

Gardenjoy, hang in there. Wake us when it's all over.

Curlypudge - am trying to drink more green tea, too. A little lemon juice helps (reconstituted is fine). Flavored varieties are tastier but often artificial, have to squint at the small print on the box.

Bill, thought it was too early for Clementines. Are they from USA? Blueberries - frozen are not that bad & may help get you over your withdrawal, not to mention potential squabbling over his & hers clamshells.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #58  
Enjoying la bella vita

Visitation went well last night, but I did get emotional when talking with the daughter of the woman who passed. Her mom passed soon after she came for a visit (she was visiting often), so she felt like that was a gift that she could be there for them through the last few days. I agreed and it was good to hear of the timing.

Dinner was with DH's folks at a local mexican place - they never eat at ethnic places of any kind, so suggested a few options I thought she'd enjoy and it worked. I ate nearly cheese-free but have to ratchet it back for, basically, the rest of the month. I'm tired of looking at the next day, saying I need to eat lighter tomorrow. I just need to suck it up and eat less for a while. And be thankful of what I do have to eat.

GosfordGirl - My line for the nice humid weather (that I actually LIKE except for doing yardwork) is "the air I can wear"

Bill - LOL at the "bold-faced lie" that seemed more than welcome and appreciated. Now I wonder if "his" container gets low, will another appear and resupply without notice?

GardenerJoy - Hoping that you're meshing well back into your routines. I know I never can return from an overseas trip and return to work the next day ... always need a spare day to recoup. I then think, Oh I wish I could just get right back to it, and have stayed a day longer. Greedy, I know!

KarenRN - Your hikes sound so great! Do you hike with a variety of friends and family or have a few regulars?

Lexxiss - Great news on the floor - how enthusiastic you sound - what an accomplishment! And only a half of an omelet? I'd have had to resupply the energy stores way more.

MountainMamma - I like your Halloween avatar! Great job on the night-time workout!

Plans for tonight just changed; we'll head to the city north of us to check out used cars for the car deal in the works. I'm hopeful that all works out - would save us a great deal of money and equally as important, get us a car that drives well in the snow. Mine is rated poor with crash test (to which DH asked WHY I bought it... I said that data wasn't out when I did!) and that worries me and will be thankful to sell a 12 yo car before long.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

This is a rare evening check in. I am disappointed with myself over eating. It is definitely another "maintenance day" instead of a loss day. Drat! I am having lots of feelings - the blues are coming on, battling some of that extended family drama, feeling my "age". I will never be a cute young chick again. Why bother disciplining myself eating? These are the thoughts I have battled all day.

Response: If I don't discipline my eating, I won't look the way I do today. I will be much heavier.
Response: There is enough love in this world no matter what my family does. There is enough love just in my little tribe of three to power San Francisco during a few more winning games plus post parties.
Response: I have been much happier and a better person since I let go of "cute, young chick."
Response: i am a compulsive overeater. I will eat over bad days or good days.

The kitchen is closed!!!!

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 10-08-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #60  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I tracked my food - credit. Two walks - credit. Being down 2 lbs does bring with it some increased desire to justify snacking. I am sure Beck has something to say about that...spent time in the studio on a big mirror commission that goes gradates through the colors of the rainbow. It is circular and the two ends are getting close to meeting!

Lexiss - so cool you got to see the eclipse. My husband went this morning but couldn't see anything.

Nationalparker - "air you can wear" really is apt for humid hot weather! When I moved to PA, I had never experienced humidity before - I couldn't believe people survived it.

BBE - I have no his and hers issues with fruit. Much raw fruit makes my lips swell up, so my DH gets all fruit to himself.
Closed Thread