Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

May I join you folks? Read two Beck books after originally joining 3FC. Helpful for my non-plan Plan & lost 30 lbs.
But that was then. Fell off the wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included Trader Joe's for raisins (sultanas for silverbirch)
(Thank you, Bill. I never knew what "sultanas" were!! Sounds so much more exotic than "raisins"!)
Old 10-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Started reading on the September page and then realized how far behind I was. So my comments are out of date but will have to do.

The end of September had some bad food choices and poor excuses. So I face October with the same ticker. Meaning all my efforts in September to log everything in yielded only maintenance. The only explanation is that the "standing while eating" and its subsequent BLTs is causing inaccuracy in what I am logging in. I should lose at 1500 calories a day.

So for October I will continue on but with two new rules: Absolutely no standing and eating (especially when I am cooking or doing food prep) and NO mass manufactured sugar treats. I am not going to cut out rare and unusual treats. But if these changes don't work I'll have to go further. October has always been a lucky month for me so I feel like I have a lot of momentum. (My 27 year sobriety birthday was Oct. 1)

Very sad afternoon. I am off to a funeral of a friend who died at 36. She had two small boys. She spent the last three years trying to get sober. She passed with a year of sobriety. I can't think of anything worst except passing away with no sobriety.

Welcome Mountain Mamma. There is a lot of peace with food to be found here.

ceejay: I am joining you on the no sugar wagon.

onebyone: I agree it is never good to hide from the truth.

Lexxiss: Love the phrase "My food thoughts were alive." Brings me back to my faovrite recorded phone message from a friend "I would like to report a murder, My mind is trying to kill me."

Last edited by maryann; 10-03-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #18  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

ARGH - I have lost two longer posts with personals due to operator error. Wanting to check another page, or view a profile. I've used too much work time on "nothing" now ... I'd better check in better after work when home.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #19  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Just posting cause I really want to eat something sweet. I got the urge after reading a message from my MIL about going to her place for Thanksgiving next week. Ugh. Sure would like to skip all holidays. I dislike them very much.

I will not eat sweet foods today. I will remain OP. 6 wks and 3 days.

UPDATE: stayed OP and now it's bedtime. Huzzah! My bedroom, I am happy to report is fully functional. I can access the closet and everything. In celebration I hung a small artwork I bought a few weekends ago at a street art event. It's a rug hooking of a few houses. I hope it brings me closer to having a home of my own somewhere.

I removed 8 boxes from the closet and they are sitting in the car waiting to be moved over to storage tomorrow morning. Yay for change. One of those boxes has exactly what I need in the next few weeks. Yay for that as well.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-03-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

Check in Take 2: Hello, and happy weekend!

Planning an egg dish for tonight with peppers, onions and some hash browns in a small pie pan, I think. A little different from the rest of the meals this week. Want something substantial since DH has worked a 12-hour day and two hours of commute for him. Sides of sweet sliced gala apple and really tormenting myself by debating baking a 5 pack roll of biscuits.

OneByOne - Hold firm! You can stave off the sweet tease tonight and stay on your no-sugar plan. Get busy with the landlord-prep and take your mind off it.

Lexxiss - KUDOS for solid choices at the buffet. And good news on a new renter! I like the peace you have with potential buffet scale display. UGH. I stress.

Bill - Impressed at your continued ability to choose wisely facing appetizers! DH and I had planned on an Alfred Hitchcock festival next weekend but realized he's working for all movies, except Psycho and I'm too much of a weenie to see that one, so ... we'll do our own with library rentals.

Maryann - I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. That is very sad. Glad, though, that you're embarking on a lucky month, and you're feeling positive about that.I feel challenged with the onset of autumn and all the "cozy" food, mostly homemade. And often from my own cucina.

GosfordGirl - Great job with smart choices surrounded by all of that food, some of which sounds so yummy! I'd have had to "test" the scones/jam. Scones here in the US seem to be getting bigger and bigger and now loaded with sugar. I always assumed they were smaller and less like a compressed muffin.

CourtRhapsody - What do you find the most challenging? Food choices, portions, ?? ... A great group here with good ideas!

CurlyPudge - Good to see you checking in here! Have a great weekend and make solid choices! My goal, so I'm not trying to erase the weekend weight all week.

KarenRN - I love hearing about your hikes. I can just picture how pretty and peaceful they are ... the fresh air, signs of autumn. Thanks for sharing. We've not done nearly the amount of hiking we typically do this year and I miss it. I miss the stress-reduction I get from it. (Except in Glacier where I'm extra-stressed bc of grizzlies!...yes, weenie!)
Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

BillBE - Credit for containing yourself with appetizers because of the fine distraction in the form of friends

Debbie (lexxiss) - Glad you found a tenant and good luck with your (procrastinated) to do list - I have several of those

Karen - waiting for tradies to turn up and keep appointments - one of life's big stresses. Your hikes sound amazing and restorative. Yes the only answer is to keep distracting myself from constant cravings (isn't that the title of a song!)

Curlypudge - good thoughts to help you back on track

Mountain Mamma - welcome! This is a good place to get help. I actually have always thought that raisins and sultanas are different types of dry grapes. So the conversation forced me to go and look it up. And yes they are both from white grapes - but sultanas are seedless and plumper and sweeter. Raisins (from Moscatel grapes) are sort of crunchy and I never knew why - the seeds! And while I was looking - Currants are red seedless grapes. I am now relieved

Maryann - I am sad that you lost your friend - and she was so young. Take care. Good rules to move forward with.

Onebyone - liked your update - glad your are making huge progress!

Nationalparker - lots of food planning and preparing - the only way to go. Scones are quite small in diameter but can get a bit high. One cuts them in half. They are a lot smaller than our muffins

A good on-plan day - another batch of chicken broth and then poached a whole chicken in it so I have food for salads. My weight was down another pound this morning so I changed my ticker. Feels good to be under 190 again. I have to stay on 20g of carbohydrate for another week at least but it is not too hard and it seems to be doing the trick. Dog washing day tomorrow - always a bit of a drama - they hate it and I kills me bending over the tub. But the time has come

enjoy your weekend coaches
Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Mountain Mamma

Mountain Mamma

And, in case you didn't get one of these two and a half years ago,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3FC?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. When I wanted more afternoon snack I got a bowl of baby carrots. By my way of counting, raw veggies have zero calories so I was good.

Only limited walking, CREDIT moi (limited). I did a price comparison on spinach at the supermarket - that stuff has shot up. Around here, one can pay nearly $5 for a one pound bag. Ouch. We do love spinach though.

onebyone – Kudos for moving more boxes out of your house to create a fully functional bedroom. I do love hearing progress with clutter since I'm one of those who fight that one. And Kudos for six weeks and three days on your plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a new tenant without a long waiting period. A friend just told me that he had a tenant move out on Saturday evening with a new tenant arriving Sunday morning. Gulp! He and his co-owner managed to paint most of the rooms overnight. Kudos for sanity at a buffet.

maryann - Congrats on those 27 years - may you have 27 more and then 27 more after that. Sending supportive thoughts for facing the passing of a 36 year-old mother of two.

nationalparker – Gala Apples are just the best - we've got some good ones up here now. [Now I've got to go see Psycho - in a theatre of course where there is no feeling of safety. <Shuddering>]

Karen (karenrn) - It's such a bummer when a contractor comes out then doesn't submit a bid. Good luck with keeping your projects moving forward. Kudos for all that walking.

curlypudge - Yep, temporary struggles seem to come with life. Veggies are the best.

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for reading the two Beck books; it's great to have a new person who's already onboard the Cognitive Therapy path. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Make a mental list of the advantages in your life. As compared with many people in the world, you have much more freedom to do what you want, to speak out about what's important to you, to live much of your life as you choose. It's unfair that you have all these freedoms when others don't. Think about other examples of advantages you enjoy.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 184.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #24  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday would have been OP yet I didn't practice much resistance when I went for my evening snack...took double my allotted amount of chocolate AND had 10 WW crackers. I wasn't hungry and I knew that. Credit for not heading out of the house for real damaging food AND for leaving part of my planned dinner AND for not leaving the house before my morning smoothie, although I thought about it. I had a busy day doing the things I'd rather not be doing and not doing the things I wanted to. Such is life. I did avert disaster as the clawfoot tub was leaking near the drain. My heating guy/plumber (who is also my tenant) came over and performed a quick fix with plumbers putty and all I owe him is breakfast.

BBE, yay for a snack of raw baby carrots. Wish I would have joined you. I don't usually buy spinach since it spoils so fast but I'm fortunate to have a small supply that my sister shared with me.

MountainMamma, Welcome!

onebyone, kudos for making it through your day OP, especially noted that you came here and posted. Your bedroom sounds nice! Glad you have persisted!

maryann, congrats on 27 years! So sorry to hear of a friend passing so young. You have a good plan for October. Move forward!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), kudos for persisting with your plan and changing your ticker! Thanks (lol) for dog washing reminder. It's needed here, too.

nationalparker, kudos for getting back here after the lost post. PS buffets are doable with a solid plan.

curlypudge, credit for checking in (amidst loud environ)

karenrn, waving to Harley! Our Bing has a cardiologist….heart stuff seems common w/cockers. Glad to hear you have a couple of projects scheduled. I think bathrooms are best done without a lot of other chaos. I enjoy hearing your hiking stories. Kudos for getting out again!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

Shocked this morning to see 163.8 on the scale. Instead of dipping back down, it's sliding up more. I've laid off the water unintentionally instead of ramping it up with the sodium ... but now of course have come to the panicky determination that it's fat, not water. So I'll try to talk myself back from the oh heck, whatever ledge and make wise choices today.

MountainMamma - I'm sorry for the delayed welcome! I somehow missed your pop in on the forum as I was trying to write my longer post yesterday! But we look forward to seeing your challenges and tips - we all benefit from new input!

Worrying about my older cat - she's been losing weight steadily with renal failure. Every time she gets sick, which the vet said will happen more often, sends me into a tailspin worrying about losing her. I've had her 15 years; she ws a stray year old I took in at home in Florida, and has been with me through so much. I am starting to think that these quieter-at home weekends are a gift of extra time I have with her. She loves my DH and it warms my heart when he treats her so sweetly.

My goal of wanting to be at 158 by Halloween is looking like a distant dream. WHY am I self-sabotaging? ARGH.

Goal for today - increased water just because I've been low the past few days. One small goal. Let's see if I can do THAT.

Lexxiss - The odd thing for me and buffets is - the only thing I want on them is pizza. Can you believe that? We never order pizza for delivery, and only either make it or get it from a handful of places where it's pretty decent/non-greasy, non-thick crust and no meat, etc. so it's not a guilt food. BUT when faced with a buffet, that's the ONE thing that I want. And seconds. And it's hardly every worth writing home about... ha ha
Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #26  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food - credit - even yesterday when we had company and they brought three uninspiring desserts and I ate some of each.

Went for a walk in the fall weather - credit.

I spent some good time in the studio today.

Onebyone - congrats on your functional bedroom and hanging art to enjoy!

Mountain mamma - welcome!

BBE - end of summer is a Farmers Market withdrawal for me. There were still good things at the market today, but dwindling.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday evening - Summer time starts

Hi Coaches

I am a bit jet lagged because day light saving starts (which mean it is NEVER dark enough to settle for the evening!). It was 33.5 C (92) today - seems a bit too early. The next 2 days are similar.

The girls / pooches had their bath - they now gleam. There is hair everywhere. I can't believe how much hair one little dog can loose - not sure if it is the Jack Russell half or the Pug half - I think it is both. I was taking dogs to parks and then shopping and then came home to pack away and didn't eat until 1pm - too late. I need to get my eating adjusted to summer time too. Eating has been 100% on plan content wise - still some eating standing up. My weight is at ticker.

I am going out for breakfast tomorrow so I am planning what I will eat - it will be nice to get out. I haven't really achieved work/play balance today

BillBE - credit for a good enough day - string a bunch of those together and all is well

Debbie (Lexxiss) - glad your tenant / plumber helped you avert a disaster. Hope things went to plan today

Nationalparker Sympathies for an uncooperative scale - a good plan to give yourself a talking to

Nuxmaga - Credit for planning, logging and dealing with uninspiring desserts
Old 10-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - World Teachers' Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Fought the snacking - Ouch. DW made 13 bean soup for dinner - just the best winter food ever. Spent dinner conversation wondering how they managed to get the right portions of all 13 beans in each bag.

Exercise was minor walking in the rain, CREDIT moi. The mood for rain-walking just wasn't there. I'm ready for our week of drizzly weather to end. The new thing around here is the new LED street lights. Just WOW! Until they're adjusted, the streets are lit up like day time all night long. We don't need to turn on our front porch light - it doesn't add to what's there.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for plumber's putty. I recently learned that it only lasts for 20 years and then needs to be replaced.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for planning breakfast the night before.

nationalparker – Ouch for scale wiggles. Kudos for charging forth.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - LOL at "Farmers Market withdrawal" - yep, know about that.

Readers -
Quote:
Day23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Create a Response Card. If you constantly think that it's unfair that you have to diet, you need a Response Card to help change your thinking. This sample card may help you compose your own card:
Dieting might not be fair, but I have two choices: I can
feel sorry for myself, stop following my plan, never reach
my goal, and continue to be unhappy with myself. Or I
can sympathize with myself but go ahead and do what
I know I need to do. Everyone experiences some kind of
unfairness in life. This is one of mine. Besides, the great-
est unfairness to me would be if I let this excuse prevent
me from reaching a goal I strongly want to achieve.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 184.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #29  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A brief check in, as I am headed to work. I thought, "I'll check in when I get home" then remembered that all the I-70 travelers are using my cyber-space that time of day.

Yesterday I was on my own and chose to cook myself a steak. It's a once a year occurrence and it was very good....I had 3 small purple potatoes, too, which we grew ourselves. I also made a SF dessert and had 2 servings instead of one. Ouch. Today will be lighter since I have already made my plan for the day. Credit.

BBE, nice to know about the 20 yr life of plumbers putty. Neat stuff and I hope this fix lasts another 20.

nationalparker, didn't like my scale reading today, either. Beck teaches me I can be proactive.

Nuxmega, credit for tracking desserts brought by friends.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), yay for advance planning for a meal outside your home.

OK, work calls! Always grateful to be able to do it.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #30  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good Saturday on plan, scale dropped by 1.5 pounds, so a bit of mental relief. Plans in place for another good weekend day. Hit one market yesterday and want to go to Trader Joe's and the other market for the oddball things I didn't pick up yesterday. Colts play at 1, though, so will head early. DH is working. Yesterday I checked in with him and asked if he wanted me to make him beef stew. I don't eat beef, so try to make a small one and it always ends up big. He said ummm...okay. Which was much less enthusiastic than I anticipated. But then it took forever in the store and in major traffic (rare) on the way home... so had too little time. Later I found out he thought I was buying him a can of stew. I said WHEN have I ever done that? sheesh. ha ha

In the mood to get our home decor out for autumn, since the house was a chilly 62 degrees this morning and I'm in nest mode. Want to get my placemats/napkins organized so I have handy access to the autumn-y ones. I have many that are earthy-tones and they look so cozy when the table is set pretty. While I'm not a collector of much and work to clear out items we don't need/don't use... I rarely part with any dishes and too often add in a funky plate or two. Have a dropoff to Goodwill and wanted to scoot in and buy some cheap vases and come home and paint them with chalkboard paint and chalk on some oldfashioned halloween decor ... it looks pretty in my mind.

I always need another weekend day to tackle what I want to do. Greedy.

GosfordGirl - I'm envious (!) of your warm temps. I love that. We've got another month or so until our DST ends. In early summer it's around 10 p.m. before it's dark where I live, and I love the long evenings. I always wonder what it would be like to live in Alaska where the summer nights seem never-ending.

Lexxiss - What WAS that like (summer nights in Alaska)? And in the winter? That is what I could not handle, if I worked outside the home.

Bill - LOL at your dinner conversation! We're getting your rainy weather - looks like 6 of the next 7 days could be rainy. Bleh. I'm waiting for LED lights to come in common lightbulbs for home appliances ... I suspect "they" have to wait until the money is recouped from these **** expensive CFL lights and that technology creation... despise them. I want lights that I can dim again ... (can you dim out LED lights with dimmer switches? I wish all home outlets were dimmable ones...)

Nuxmaga Credits for tracking all your food. I get frustrated when I stray with food that isn't delectable. Our downtown farmer's market moves indoors for the fall/winter and I never think to go... I know DH would be up for brunch out, the farmer's market and a walk around the canal downtown... Think I'll put that on a calendar note for November!

Today's goal - increase fluids since I didn't do an admirable job of that yesterday since i was out all afternoon and don't drink a ton in the evenings. Staying on track with calories.

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-05-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Closed Thread