Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #61  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello - hungrier than typical today so added in a snack this afternoon and will prep a cup of hot tea to signify that it's the "end" ... dinner won't be for five hours, anyway, as DH is working.

AAugust plans - found my bag of dry red rice in the pantry and will make a red rice pilaf with onions, carrots, craisins, peppers, a bit of corn (since I have fresh on the cob), and chopped toasted almonds in there, I think. That and salad and chicken serenada should be a nice dinner. I have held onto that rice for too long, since it takes a long time to cook. Will make enough to have leftover with the turkey one day, as well. I am enjoying trying to think of meals that are not just the usual, out of the pantry ingredients. Thanks for the oomph to do that!

160.2 this morning. Pleased to be hanging around the same area and under ticker for a few days in a row, so moving it down.

Bill - Welcome back! Now you have me wanting to go camping - after years of lots of camping, we've not been in a year now with everything that's been going on. Maybe DH is up for it over Labor Day weekend. Depending on the heat, that looks fun to me! Don't think I've ever washed my tent! I guess I'm enough of the rain jinx to not have to do that

KarenRN - Yes, good luck with your son's visit. I definitely find it VERY hard to eat my usual amounts and choices when I'm around someone outside of my immediate "usual" who is eating more or more indulgent. I think I deserve that as well. Beck covers a way of thinking on this, too, but I am not always "there" with thinking those thoughts in time.

ForMyGirls - Looks like you are doing a great job in setting the table for your continued success! And to tackle it in winter is impressive to me.

Caught up with my sister-in-law today for awhile - a nice diversion and time well spent. I feel that without mom, with whom I spoke with every couple of days on the phone, and now without Dad, that my world is so small. Close friends have moved on from this city, and while I'm still in touch with them, I don't see them regularly at ALL. A friend and I are hitting a small community theatre performance tomorrow after lunch at Panera. That should be enjoyable.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:40 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hi Coaches,

My choo-choo is still off the rails. I don't know what might be triggering it although I am currently globally dissatisfied. Hope you all are well.

flnu
Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Full moon Sunday

Hi Coaches

I have been down and not on plan and frankly not interested in being on plan or even talking about it. I have also had another cold with severe asthma so haven't gone to gym which makes me less positive. Sometimes coming here doesn't seem to add value probably because I don't invest in it enough and just go through the motions. Its not really a social group but a group with a purpose and I need to stay on purpose. So I will come here as Beck discusses to check in and recount my credits and not so creditable behaviour. I am ramping up my efforts and taking my eating plan seriously, and focussing on accountability and goal tracking. There have been too many slips lately and this is the sort of plan that gets messed up if you don't follow it. I found another book on restricted carb eating aand bought it on Kindle. The first three chapters that I have read today referred to all the literature and research I had read and believe is relevant. But it has been a good revision and they are pretty hard core scientists (with their own agenda of course). The book is "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable" (Phinney and Volek)

I know for me, at my age and with metabolic disorder etc etc, I need to go on low carb and probably stay on it. But I keep seeing other glittering opportunities and possible adjustments to the approach which means that in the end I am not achieving anything. So I need to be consistent and committed and follow the path. At this stage (not having finished their book to confirm their specific approach) each day I need to stay under 50g of carbohydrate (CHO) and consume moderate protein and high fat to get keto adapted. I want to stay under 1500 calories per day but that might not be consistent. Will know more specifics as I read more.

Last weekend I cooked a lot of different types of roast vegetables and roast lamb - it was fabulous as I had food up to and including Wednesday. Today I have done the same thing so I am sorted out for a few days - the veggies are in the oven cooking and I will have different protein each day with them.

So each day I will check in with:
- my weight
- whether I stayed under 50g CHO
- whether I stayed under 1500 calories (logged my food so I know)

Today:
- 197.8 pounds
- Logged my food
- very close to 50g CHO so need to be careful with dinner
- well under 1500 so not high enough on fat - need to tweak that or I will get hungry

Have a good day coaches and welcome to a new week
Old 08-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Day 8 today - making time for dieting. During the last few months I have reduced my work hours a bit - which has created some financial pressure in life - but is well worth it as I now have time to enjoy life a bit! So doing this task was quite affirming - last time around it was scary to see just how little wriggle room I had in life - so to see this time that there is actually time to do the things I need to do was very reassuring.

Had a busy day today with watching one of my girls performing in the middle of the day - and then a bunch of running around and tidying up. We discovered a few weeks ago that there was a mice infestation in our shed - which meant that much of the paperwork in our boxes in there had been turned into nests and those papers that weren't yet nests were stinky as all get out. The day we found it we cleaned out most of it but then ran out of time so today I sorted through the rest and took it all to the dump and returned the borrowed trailer. So with all that I didn't get to do the 'arranging my environment' from yesterday. It is not forgotten though.

Credits for the day: remembering to sit down to eat. Noticing at lunchtime that I wasn't hungry (having had a very late breakfast) so I didn't eat. Realising htat licking the cooking spoons before I put them in the dishwasher is eating standing up - and choosing to stop!

Bill - glad to hear your camping went well

flnu - yay to you for keeping posting while you are off the rails, and for being brave enough to face 'globally dissatisfied'

Gosford Girl - well done for keeping on the path, despite all the resistance you are experiencing.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had dinner guests and ate mindfully, CREDIT moi. Since there was no food in the house I walked, CREDIT moi, to get Thai takeout for all four of us. We continued to sit on the patio until 10pm talking away without a single mosquito bite. A walk to our community garden hauled in three cukes and a bag of tomatoes. All good, and clearly all growth is coming to an end. That the growing season is finite is right there in front of me.

Adirondacks Vignette 1: Whiteface Mountain allowed us to view miles of the wilderness from 4600 feet. We drove to the parking spaces then climbed the last 100 feet over bare rocks - all with handrails for the Manhattan crowd. I saw the Bicknell Thrush - a bird that's mostly remarkable because its habitat is limited to the young fir found only in this region. While eating lunch we saw Lake Placid in one direction and Vermont's Green Mountains, Lake Champlain, and Canada in other directions.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Do like the notion of roasting a whole bunch of veggies for the week. Good luck getting serious on your reduced carb diet.

nationalparker – Neat to dig out the red rice - don't think I've ever had it. My siblings have the same problem keeping up with each other since the last generation of 'old folks' who do the keeping us together has passed on.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for "Realising that licking the cooking spoons before I put them in the dishwasher is eating standing up - and choosing to stop!" - licking is sooooo easy to overlook.

flnu - Maybe you can dig out your kid's book, The Little Engine That Could to get your choo-choo back on its rails. Hope all goes well as you adjust to our culture that seems so weird when re-entered.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now

In order to prepare yourself for occasions when you eat something you're not supposed to, create a Get Back on Track Response Card right now. Read it at least once a day, then pull it out and read it again when you need it. Model it after this card:
Get Back on Track

If I've eaten something I shouldn't, I haven't blown it. It's
not the end of the world. I can start following my plan
again right this minute. Just because I made a mistake
doesn't mean I should keep on eating. That makes no
sense. It's a million times better to stop now than to
allow myself to eat more.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 169.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #66  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have the green Beck book but have read sections to do with emotional eating etc. Friday was not on plan for food and I didn't get my exercise either, yesterday much closer to plan and I did go to the gym. Today the guys will golf, so I will get to the gym again and have time to do some of my reading. Food is planned and should be okay.

I'm realizing how much I need to work the plan for all the times when I don't have my routine, which is really quite a bit of the time. When I have a very routine week it is not difficult. However, we have a lot of company (not usually this time of the year due to the heat) and I also travel several times a year. I will continue to work on it.

Love hearing about the gardens and recipes. Always sorry to hear how we all struggle, but I will say it let's me know I am not alone and neither are any of you. My son leaves tomorrow and then I have a few routine days until we leave on Friday for 5 days with friends in MN. My friend there is fit and thin so hopefully that will help.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I never realized how far behind Colorado is (or at least my garden) compared to other parts of the country. My tomatoes have not ripened yet! But this year has been stellar due to the added rainfall, and for some reason the garden bugs are not eating leaves as badly, so everything looks healthy. I've been enjoying cucumbers in my salads for weeks now, but can't wait for those tomatoes.

The super big/bright moon was lovely early this morning! It may have contributed to an active owl coming to visit though. I took my small dog out this morning, using a flashlight to light his way, but got startled when an owl took off for flight right over my head from the roof. Whew! Glad he wasn't interested in my doggie!

I've been emotional this week because vacation is almost over and I worry about hunger when I go back to school. I made a 'school food' plan, so I can see how I can reach my numbers. That made me feel better.

This forum helps so much, so thanks for posting everyone. Hearing about your successes and struggles makes me feel empowered to continue on with my efforts to be healthier. THANKS!

Waving to everyone
Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

Like GosfordGirl, I'm recommitting to tracking. That's what works for me.

Time to get back to my one-line reporting format. Now, where did I put that?

Here it is, with weight change from several days ago when I last weighed:

WI: +0.65 kg, Exercise: +70 345/1400 minutes for August, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: so glad that you got wonderful views and a rare bird sighting from your camping trip.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #69  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Busy day today for me - some house cleaning, baking, organizing (trying to have much less visible clutter, so alternately clearing out and putting in cupboards), and weeding, before getting cleaned up and out to Panera to meet a friend for lunch and a community theatre performance. Had a very enjoyable time. Then home, got changed and headed to the market early evening. Rushed home and prepped turkey bbq cheddar mini meatloaves for the main entree. Felt like all I wanted to do was to relax and read, and did none of that. Will commit to that tomorrow night, maybe.

Food was more than I needed but not too much to set me off plan for tomorrow. Did enjoy (thoroughly) my baguette at Panera's.

One of our pets (cat) is sick, hope it's a quick bug. I hate it when I don't know what the issue is, but hope it passes quickly.

Goal for tomorrow is to eat healthfully when back at work ...

A few nights out this week on the schedule - need to stay on track. Anniversary of when we first met/"knew" is Wednesday and we'll celebrate that, and then Thursday are planning to go see "The Hundred Foot Journey" (has anyone seen it?) ... I can't remember what else!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #70  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb Evening

Coaches:

I've been working on my large woodblock for my art event coming up now not next weekend but the weekend after. I've put 5hrs of carving time into my woodblock with, I estimate, another 15-20 to go. I *really* want a superb print. After I carve it I hope to have enough time to print it here at home so I can noodle around with the lines and the shapes on the block to make it better. You always need to do that kind of thing as even with all this attention, the final print is always a surprise. One of the many joys of making prints.

Foodwise I am not tracking. I am caring about it. I am thinking about it. I am constantly thinking about it and preparing in my head to do it, but I haven't. I However, while I was getting ready to begin carving my block I was listening to The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. I have it as an audio book. The topic of the book is resistance and how to overcome it. he is brutal and honest and aggressive with the notion of resistance and I have never heard it described better and have never related to it more. It is fantastic when you are trying to face a large project that is challenging/scary and after many examples of resistance in the arts, he says "whether it's a work of art, a health regime change, working out, losing weight, qhatever it is that you need to do, you will encounter resistance..." (poor paraphrase but that is essentially what he said) and I thought OMG NOT going to the gym is... resistance. I can go. I need to go, and I can go in a way that will work for me. There were many parts of it I liked, I need to figure it out not stop. And then on the heels of that I thought OIMG I have a foodplan all laid out for me in the TOPS program. I truly do not like that meeting (I really don't) but I can do it onlline, or find another group, but probably do it online and maybe find a once a week OA meeting instead. Or, hello, step it up here and with Beck work. I DO have tools I am RESISTANT to using them, preferring to re-invent the wheel as if there is something better out there. Newsflash-I need to DO something, not research more.

And so tomorrow I am going to apply myself and do one action to move toward weight loss. And, so far, the only motivation that I can muster, is to "prove it to those who believe I will never lose the weight that I can and will. I will show them!" That's where I am at, but I'm not too proud to start there. It is certainly the truth and I would LOVE to show them that I have what it takes. It'd be a great story to tell. I want to tell it.

Must go. want to take a look at the supermoon before I hit the sack tonight.

nationalparker You asked how long it's been that my mom may not recognize me, well it's only happen 2 or 3x including this last time, in about 6 years. She almost always knows it's me, but often I have to speak first, then she really knows. I am not phased by it. BTW thinking of you and your kitty! I hope it's just a passing thing an nothing to worry about.

Lexxiss I was reading but not posting. I find it hard just to post a line or two and a few times I've waited until bedtime and then I wait too long and I go to bed instead of posting. Thanks for the shoutout.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-10-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday done

Hi Coaches

Today I ate on plan so credit for day 2! And I logged my progress here so credit. And also enjoyed a big bright full moon here.

I liked the discussion by onebyone about resistance - I think I have it in spades. That along with laziness when it comes to personal health even though I like the mental pursuit of interesting health and diet articles. However, I sometimes need to look for 'something better out there' mainly because I have a short attention span - I need to be re-engaged. But I do have a plan! I do know what I need to do! It is the same as I have always had to do and keep resisting [or finding alternatives, or looking for ways to make it more enjoyable...]. And now I have to do it. Let's see how that goes. Thanks for those insights onebyone

Adirondacks looks amazing and I am glad you got to soak up the birdlife BillBE. The reboot is interesting to watch ForMyGirls. Credit for sitting down to eat. Hope your choo-choo stops being derailed flnu and that you change your track. Yay for recommitting to tracking gardenerjoy - it does help me

Today:
- 197.2 pounds [down .6]
- Logged my food
- under 50g CHO as desired
- under 1500 just - but that is good enough
- No gym because asthma and adjusting to carb depletion - will go Thursday and see how it goes. Lots of steps and walking done
Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Day 9 today - choosing an exercise plan. I decided that my "earn treats through exercise" would not be enough (though the exercise I do will still earn me treats- there is just a minimum exercise requirement). So the plan is weekends will involve a walk or bike ride, plus strength training. 2 weekdays I'll do a walk or bike ride. And I will stretch on all days that I exercise when there will be time - which is basically all but 2 a fortnight. So that sounds like an OK plan to me! Plus I did some thinking about incidental exercise - as Spring is approaching (hallelujah!) I will be able to start riding to the shops a bit more, and taking advantage of the sunshine to walk when there are errands to be done. I also had a brainwave about incidental exercise in my workplace. The tea rooms where I get water, tea, coffee etc and where I eat my lunch, are on the same floor as me - but there are stairwells near me and the tea rooms - so what I could do is walk downstairs - along the corridor there and then back up, rather than just staying on the same level. If I wanted to go really crazy I could do the same thing everytime I print :-)

Credits for today:
- reading and posting:
- noticing food that was going in my mouth while standing up and stopping and eating the rest sitting down (it was a planned snack, just started eating it before I left the kitchen!) - funny that I had a really strong reaction when I realised what I had done - I almost spat it out the way I would if I discovered I was eating something rotten;
- not getting a treat at the grocery store;
- making sure there was a good amount of vegies in lunch and dinner and choosing healthy snacks;
- pushing through a hungry patch

Bill - thanks for the vignette - it sounds so beautiful!

Onebyone - I am going to check out that book about Resistance. There is a part of the work that I do that is very intimidating (and entirely self-directed). I love it when I get past the "but I can't because ...." but there is sometimes so much time wasted getting there. Your book sounds like it might really resonate.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #73  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Planned, CREDIT moi, to avoid the food set out with the coffee for community hour. Then avoided it even though that meant skipping oatmeal raisin cookies. Walked my standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, with extra credit for not stopping at a yard sale.

Adirondacks Vignette 2: Our campsite was built on sand laid into a marsh so that there was active life surrounding us. Two Great Blue Herons squawked at each other as they flew within twenty feet of us some half-dozen times a day. First time ever that my morning coffee required binoculars and birding guide.

onebyone – Kudos for all those hours carving on your print block. Can't remember if I told you that I enjoyed The War of Art by Steven Pressfield after you had mentioned it earlier - he does press on about getting past the resistance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good to see your tracker redeployed - it encourages me.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for recognizing about your steps "but that is good enough" - my take is that we are often slow to appreciate what we've done.

Woodland - Kudos for making "a 'school food' plan" - what a great way to make it happen.

nationalparker – You hooked me on "The Hundred Foot Journey" - I'd watch a telephone book read by Helen Mirren, LOL. Hope your cat heals quickly so your mind is free for your Anniversary celebration.

ForMyGirls - Love the "brainwave about incidental exercise" - neat to add some extra steps during a break for tea.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for planned food for the best chance to make it happen.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

what are you thinking?

You might not have the following sabotaging thoughts today, but you probably will have them at some point when you stray from your plan. Add whatever you find useful to your Get Back on Track Response Card.

Sabotaging Thought: I can't believe I ate that! I'll never lose weight.
Helpful Response: What would my diet coach tell me if she knew I ate this? She would say, "Don't feel bad. Everyone overeats from time to time. You can start again right now. It's not such a big deal. Give yourself a break."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 169.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #74  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I'd planned a longer post, but didn't manage my time quite so well this morning. I did get my chores done and had some time for daily reflection. Credit.

I was thinking about resistance. For me, it's two-fold. One part is the resistance which has to do with procrastinating....resisting starting my exercise, resisting making and following my food plan, resisting doing my daily chores.
The second part of resistance is more food related. For me, it's been about identifying the very specific areas which derail my food plan especially when my brain helps me to fool myself. These resistances need to stay with me on a daily basis.
~I don't do much baking of goodies at this point. I know when I do that DH eats 1/4 and I eat 3/4. So it's easier for me not to bake. That can change later.
~I don't have a daily (free) meal at work. I never get to sit down and enjoy it and so it is just extra calories. Occasionally, I do have a meal. I really think about it first.
~I don't buy goodies at Wh.Foods. Same thing, I buy 4 vegan blueberry muffins...DH eats 1 and I eat 3. Every time. Maybe later that will change but for now, resisting the purchase is a better choice.

Thanks for the input, onebyone! Glad you read even when you're not posting.

Off to work....smoothie was good.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #75  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Here it is Monday morning again. I actually like Mondays because they are an automatic reset for me. My food was on plan yesterday and I got to the Y for my weight program. As soon as I finish breakfast I will go for to the Y for 50 minutes on the elliptical and 30 on the TM. I seem to be losing and gaining the same 3 pounds over and over. Today I am at the top of it 155. I'm pretty sure some of it is water, but I'll see in a few days.

I saw 100 Yard Journey on Saturday. My son was disappointed because I had already seen the movie he wanted to see, "Get On Up". Anyway both were starting at 12:45, so he went to the one I had already seen and I saw "100 Yard Journey". I really liked it. As many said, it was predictable, but I don't mind predictable. I see quite a few movies, especially in the summer heat. In the last 2 weeks I've seen "Boyhood", "Get On Up" and "100 Yard Journey" and enjoyed them all. The movie theater is cool and it is a "no eating zone" for me.

Love hearing about your camping trip, Bill. I love to camp and fewer and fewer of my friends are interested. My cousin and I went to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier last month. We camped some and stayed in motels some. The most thrilling thing was seeing a Grizzly in Glacier. We saw him right at the trailhead at Many Glacier. We did both carry bear spray because we hiked daily, but never came close to needing it thank goodness.

I too am a tracker. I use MFP. Today I recommit to being extra careful about weighing and measuring. I don't think those extra pinches of grated cheese are doing me any good.

Have a great start to the week everyone!
Closed Thread