Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #16  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Still re-establishing my routines. I'm using Lexxiss as my model -- her routines seem to be bedrock, supporting everything else, when things get crazy. So, I need to quit thinking that anything will get easier if I let my routines slip. They'll only get harder.

I wanted to post, mostly, to give a warm welcome back to ForMyGirls!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday morning

Hi coaches

The afternoon tea out could have been worse. I met the no sugar and no wheat criteria but I am sure hot chips, while meeting those criteria fail on the rubbish criteria. But I did want to chew on something. It was surprisingly cold. We had the coldest morning in 4 years and the coldest August morning for 6, and the days are getting cooler. Welcome back winter

I cooked roast leg of lamb and lots of versions of roast veggies so I have them for salads or omelettes or meals so I am organised for the week. As an indulgence for dinner I made pistachio mint pesto to go with the lamb. Amazing and full of healthy things.

Week not so bad after a busy first week of semester last week

Tricia - not surprised you are struggling with all those sicklings. Come and tell us about it

ForMyGirls - great plan to do a Beck reset. Yay for a day's success

BillBE - ouch for free food and friends

Maryann - credit for an AA list that embodies planning and pleasure in restraint

GardenerJoy - credit for routines re-emerging

Today's AA goals
- survive a busy day and beat a to-do list down
- get a new fitbit flex band because I nearly lost it yesterday when it fell off. Found it in the car
- eat my on plan food and don't overindulge with it/exercise restraint and finish when 80% full
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #18  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not sure what I was thinking was "okay to do" today, but I could barely stay out of the pantry or the kitchen. I snacked way too much. Not one thing that was calorie-laden, but overall too many calories. And I'm still going to make strawberry shortcake tonight - with the mini angel food cakes. I already lost one quart of strawberries that rotted in one day. The fruits and veggies I bought on Friday were seriously lacking - cilantro rotted as well.

Aug mindfulness: instead of suggesting we eat out to wrap up the "time off", we ate last night's leftovers from Panera. I did a half and half last night and saved the mozz tomato panini and baked it in the oven and enjoyed it as an open-face sandwich. Better than it has ever been on the first day. Saved money and calories. Lunch was also leftovers from Friday.

Worked on my resume but didn't make impressive progress. I think my heart's just not into it.

Dreading returning to work, though I am thankful that I do have the job. I despise the Sundays that I lose hours of joy in dread.

Saw a hummingbird come by my back garden while I was outside this afternoon, and my silly mind said, come back three times and I'll know it's you, Mom. (I KNOW!) ... it came back twice. I thought oh, well ... and then went outside this evening to enjoy the setting sun that was a blazing ball on the horizon, and a hummingbird came and perched right in front of me on my burning bush. Brought a smile to me, even if just a wonderful coincidence.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - John Venn's 180th Birthday (click google)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I met my goal to avoid the snacks at coffee hour on Sunday, CREDIT moi. Having a specific, small goal was helpful to get the positive feedback of an accomplishment.

Walked the standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. We braved the threat of rain and won. On the way home we had to pass through an outdoor luncheon in a public area. My food-centric brain immediately assessed that we could slip into the line without being detected as interlopers. I don't need FREE food; but the old neurons remain on the lookout as if I was in danger of starving.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for bedrock routines to support a joyous life.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Your "pistachio mint pesto" really sounds good. Glad that you're finally getting some cold for your winter - plants need that.

maryann - Drooling over your fresh figs - about my most favorite food ever. Kudos for your roaring start into Aesthetic (thanks spell-check) August. [Yep, REI is off limits when I'm thinking camping. I just uncovered in my camping gear box the metal mirror for reflecting sunlight into the eyes of the search plane that's looking for me when I'm lost. I won't need this when car camping, LOL.]

nationalparker – Happy semi-anniversary of the day you met your DH. I like celebrating the day I first met my DW more than our wedding anniversary. Smiling at your hummingbirds - love that they can bring you that joy.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now

If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Learn from your mistake. . . . For example, did you:. . .
  • Meet up with someone who pushed food on you?
  • Try to eat like the other people you were with?
  • Encounter an unexpected trigger?
  • Wind up surrounded by food you hadn't planned to eat?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 168.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-04-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Smile Night time check in

Hello coaches,

So I did good today. I made doing my Beck reading my #1 priority for the day - Day 2 so I chose my diet and back up diet.

For my primary diet I am taking a leaf out of my partner's parenting book - he invented this thing for my girls where they earn screen time by doing physical activity - never seen them so inspired to walk to school! So my diet plan is counting calories for subsistence - and then any calories I burn in exercise earn me treats - ie: alcohol, sweet treats etc. Let's see how it goes :-)

I was also pleased with myself for making some good choices - almost got caught by the "but I'm not on diet yet" thought when contemplating the choc chips in the pantry - but then I remembered that I want to lose weight, so I'm only making my job harder if I eat them. Later when I was hungry I remembered that hunger is not an emergency. Nice to know some of the helpful thoughts are there waiting to be uncovered.

Maryann - I'm with Bill on the fresh figs. I flinched when I saw you were freezing them - they're a rarity here so I couldn't contemplate doing anything but devouring them right then and there!

Thanks for the welcome backs Maryann, Nationalparker and Joy - I felt very touched Joy that you posted specially

Goals till I post tomorrow night:
- read and do Day 3 (for money and food);
- be mindful of the decisions I am making about food and money

Night all
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #21  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Thanks to gardenerjoy for reminding me how my routines actually support everything else. I just keep doing my routines yet sometimes forget how important they are in supporting everything else.
Yesterday was far from "routine". I got a text, then call from DH's ex, stating there was a mini crisis. (still waiting for the baby). Ends up their dog had fleas and they had bombed/sprayed the house and were heading to a hotel. DD spent the day crying and SIL was "grumpy". So….we headed down after work and aided in the peace/comfort process. It did include food and we ended up at a 24/7 local restaurant in a big corner booth where the 2yr old could sleep and everyone else could just sit/eat/charge cell phones/ and exist for a few hours. Credit for choosing wisely and accepting we'd get the bill ($82.) despite this being my budget month. Oh, well.
Stopped at WF on the way home to get my mom's BlueberryCerealBars and called her to say we were coming back up the hill. "I wanted Ginger Snaps." she said, so back into WF to get her cookies and a box for DH, too.
This morning it's back to my routine with fresh insight as to how much it helps me stay on track with food; dishes done, house picked up and thinking about how it's going to be crazy until the baby comes. Plan, plan, plan then remain flexible. Beck teaches me I can choose food successfully even when all planning fails. Credit.
BBE, yay for a small and specific goal ending in accomplishment. PS hybrid mirrors can be used in emergencies. Lol.

ForMyGirls, kudos for making Beck reading your #1 priority AND for making a good choice regarding cookies!

nationalparker, sorry for seriously lacking veggies. Persist with your food planning and it will all come back into place. I find, personally, I have a more difficult time with food post-stress.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), yes, I would surmise chips fall into rubbish category, yet quantity seems to be the most important denominator. Kudos for food organised for the week.

gardenerjoy, hop back into those routines! Credit for noticing!

maryann, yay for AA list!

It's my early day at work. I need to get my smoothie going. I talked DH into sleeping a bit more yet I'd better wake him so we can share a cup of coffee.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #22  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Default New here, but have followed intermittently

Just thought I'd say hello and let you know I'm going to get out my Beck book and start following it. I've read this thread and especially Maintainers even as my weight crept back up over the past couple of years. My name is Karen and I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I am 60 and I retired from nursing a couple of years ago. I've just had a successful full week of journaling on MFP (have actually journaled for months) and to the gym six days. My preferred exercise is hiking, but I know I need strength training and also it is too darn hot to hike this time of year. I'm hoping to follow the Beck Plan to keep me on track and then keep the pounds off once I get to goal. Joy, I have enjoyed reading some of your blog.

Okay, now I'll go find that book!

Karen
Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

Welcome, karenrn! Cool that you're familiar with 3FC and this thread. Sounds like you're already pursuing a terrific plan!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP day even if dinner was messy - second and third helpings of rice shuffled into my mouth during clean up and a stolen fig eaten standing up. Ouch!

Still logged all calories and am within weekly parameters so I call it a WIN!!!

Aesthetic August Credits:
+ Made the boys a super delish Fig, Spinach, Banana, Mango Smoothie for lunch. They ignored the green color
+ Baked a a lug of chicken drumsticks for dinner - picked leftovers for stir fry tomorrow and made chicken broth for split pea soup later in the week.
+ Did NOT bale on Pilates even though every fiber in my body wanted to skip.
+ NSD ( I love hanging out at home.)
+ Food is in MFP and I exercised.

ForMyGirls: In MFP, I put the exercise I do into the diary for the day and it calculates for me the extra calories i earned for treats. I just focus on the weekly total then for a WIN week.

GosfordGirl: I have never made a leg of lamb. Is there a great deal of meat? Do you roast it in the oven?

nationalparker: These are tender days. Give yourself lots of grace.

BBE: LOL with the reflective mirror. Isn't it true? I have the world's loudest whistle with a place for matches that goes around my neck. In case I need to make a signal fire.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

First off, Welcome, KarenRN! We look forward to sharing your journey, hearing your challenges and learning your tips!

Working on my letter of application and resume for the position at work. Keeping fingers crossed but just a bit down about it all. Will wrap that up tomorrow evening after work and submit it online them. Woke up at 3 a.m. worrying about work again. I need to start leaving it at work and not worrying about things when home.

Lunch out with a friend today was indulgent - half of a bbq chicken wrap and one third of my fries. Saved the rest for another day or for DH.

Challenge for tomorrow is that both breakfast and lunch are included with this all-day meeting we are required to hold. I find I do poorly with breakfast, especially. If I say I'll eat at home first and abstain there, I don't. I eat twice. Lunch shouldn't be a major challenge, but we always order some sort of a dessert and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's something I don't like, such as cheesecake. I should have thought to suggest that! These meals are not so good that they should steer me offtrack.

Dinner tonight was bruschetta, and light enough to not be a stressor.

Not a riveting post, but wanted to check in... Aiming to report back tomorrow evening that I did well in the two free meals at work
Old 08-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Default Checking in

Hello coaches,

I did well again today. Did my Beck reading - Day 3 - sitting down to eat. Such a powerful tool - I've been remembering it lately, but not doing it. So today I complied. In fact I just remembered not to snack while preparing dinner

Took my sneakers (there's a word challenge for you non Aussies) to work so I could go for a lunchtime walk. GOt invited to an impromptu lunch which I accepted and then remembered the walk so went back and 'unaccepted'. Yay me!

Lexxiss - since I've been so out of the loop I'm intrigued to know who this baby is who you're waiting for?

Karenrn - lovely to meet you. Good on you for getting the exercise in even when it can't be your preferred exercise.

Maryann - you really know how to make the most of a chicken! Thanks for the tip re MFP - what I'm planning is a bit more of a psychological game with myself - ie: when I think "but I don't want to walk" I can counter it with "true - but if you walk you can have a beer on Sunday night". Part of me is saying that it's buying into food as reward - but I am in such an anti-exercise headspace that I need a reward and being completely skint at the moment I can't think of any other reward that will be sufficiently motivating. And I figure it is at least calorifically sound - ie: if I do more exercise I can actually afford to consume more calories. WIll see how it goes. The "exercise earns you screen time" has worked wonders with my kids.

Nationalparker - thanks for "these meals are not so good that they should steer me offtrack". And well done on staying on track at the work meals. (and for making credits enough of a priority to send us an update post!)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday night

Coaches

Here am I as usual checking-in in the evening because the morning doesn't seem to work

Made my complaining, whining, sulking self go to gym this evening. Used resistance today and said no so food was on plan and dinner tonight is waiting to be heated. Lots of distraction techniques necessary too. Ate a few more almonds than I planned. Lunch was delicious, healthy and thrifty left-over roast lamb and the left-over roasted cauliflower and eggplant salad all with the pistachio/mint pesto so I didn't suffer too much

I made the decision that I have to do something with my wardrobe (clothes not furniture) as I don't have enough to last a week or even 3 days or even to go to gym with. I kept waiting for a new body which of course hasn't materialised. So I made the decision today to get help. There is a woman at the dog park who "styles" contestants on TV shows and has a business going through your wardrobe with you, helping you decide what to chuck/charity, and then will go on a shopping trip with you. I have been thinking about it for 2 years! Anyway contacted her today and she is overseas until mid September! Drat. But I will follow up - I know I should be able to deal with it but I am too flat, confused, overwhelmed and over it frankly. Her business is called "Frock Star" which I think is very fabulous

BillBE - whatever you are doing, enjoy it

Debbie / Lexxiss - I so hate routines but know I need them. They make me crazy and resistant. But you seem to be flexible even within your desire for routines so I aim for that

Karenrn - Welcome - glad to see you here and hope to get to know you better. I too am a nurse in Australia - but teaching now and about to retire (63.5 ). Hiking sounds like something I need to think about - I do strength training and walking ATM

Maryann - yes a leg of lamb is big - it was boneless, pastured, saltbush fed, and finished, 2.2 kg leg of lamb - BIG. Cooked for 25 mins per pound for medium so not too long (110min). I will be eating it for a bit but at lunch today it was delicious. I will be freezing a bit. We like l-o-l here I think

That's it coaches - working at home tomorrow to focus with a long to-do list so hoping it all happens
Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Karen (karenrn)

Karen (karenrn)

And, just in case you didn't get one of these 6 years ago,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover our Beck Forum here on 3FC?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent the day packing for our three days of camping. John Muir hiked into the forests of California carrying only a few stale pieces of bread and some tea. He'd be mortified to see our packed car.

Looking forward to several days where there isn't a pantry and a fridge that contain unplanned snacks that need to be avoided. Food won't be as severely restricted as was that of the good John Muir wandering among the Redwoods, but restricted enough that I'll get a fresh start at countering my snacking. See you guys in a few days.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Our cukes are all done; our lettuce is all done; it's abundant tomatoes time.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "Plan, plan, plan then remain flexible" - seems like useful reality. Ouch for the disasters stacking up beginning with a flea on a dog. Reminds me of the old saw, "For want of a nail the shoe was lost ..."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for getting yourself to the gym. It's such a super idea to get help choosing clothes; I could certainly use that.

maryann - LOL at your guys ignoring the green color of the smoothie - anything with both bananas and mangoes would win my heart. [Yep, I also found a whistle in my camping gear box. Perhaps I can use it to signal the Starbucks Barista at the campground to bring my morning coffee directly to my sleeping bag, LOL.]

nationalparker – Good luck with your two FREE meals at work today. Yay for waking up at 3 am - Ouch for using precious morning time worrying about work.

ForMyGirls - Love the idea of your partner that the girls earn screen time by doing physical activity. If I adopted that it would be interesting to see whether I got in shape or broke my computer addiction, LOL. Special Kudos for countering the Sabotaging Thought, "but I'm not on diet yet" - so insidious.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for a roaring start into working your Beck strategies. And More Kudos for digging into the gym to work the resistance exercises. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now

Jan had certainly not planned to eat a piece of pizza an hour before dinner. But the pizza box was staring her in the face when she opened the refrigerator door to get something to drink. After she ate it (standing up in front of the refrigerator), she realized that the either should have thrown away the leftover pizza or made sure it was wrapped up and placed in the back of the refrigerator. She realized, too, that she had been pretty stressed out when she got home from work and probably should have sat in her car and done some relaxing breathing for at least a couple of minutes before she went into the house.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 168.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #30  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!
I got a text at 1am that DD went to the hospital. I'd guess there will be a baby by the time I'm off work and that we will head down to meet him.
Food was OK-ish yesterday. Extra snack after dinner yet I didn't have a single bite at work so credit for that. I really recognized the power of resistance at work yesterday. Several months ago I was going overboard with pieces of toast (the heels getting thrown away.) I simply decided no more, especially to the tiny bits that get broken off. I also made a pledge to drink more water and far less diet soda. yesterday I found how automatic it is now....bit of toast picked up, thrown away and go for a drink of water. I don't even look at the heels any more. Yay for Beck!

ForMyGirls, the baby, #2, is my DH's DD. His ex is in town for the birth so there's a little added crazy.

Karenrn, Welcome! Glad you followed us enough to decide to join in!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), Kudos for making apt with the frock lady. Lol. It reminded me of what my yoga teacher said about our practice....meeting ourselves where we're at. Yes, living in the present. I remind myself you have already lost weight and if you feel uncomfortable with your wardrobe it's possibly because you are transforming. I'll guess you will feel more comfortable which in turn will help you progress on your journey.

MaryAnn, yay for a list of credits!

nationalparker, kudos for working on your application and for leaving part of your indulgent lunch.

Gotta run, coaches, take care!

PS just got the text Baby has arrived!
Closed Thread