Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was only OK - CREDIT moi for that much. It's that time of summer where breakfast includes banana, blueberries, strawberries, and peach - Yay for the season of fruit.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library where I picked up Common Sense by Thomas Paine where I'll try to get the passions that flamed the American Revolution. An insightful friend who saw me come home with the book reminded me that everything we learned as history when kids was wrong. Also stopped at the hardware store to pick up one small item. If I didn't need something, I'd probably stop at the hardware store to see if I did, LOL.

onebyone – Congrats for getting in two visits to possible facilities for your mom. Hope that cold is short lived.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Big Ouch for 3.5 hours in a waiting room with Kudos for "so the vending machine remained invisible to me" just when distress could have produced enough Sabotaging Thoughts to eat a horse.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I like the power of this thought, "I recognize my quest to find MY new normal." Yay for each item leaving the basement permanently - feel free to drop by my basement to do the same, LOL.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – LOL at "Still Wednesday!" Congrats for passing the real money milestone on selling your house. Kudos for "I stopped eating when satisfied - yes - could have eaten more at lunch and didn't." Neat to turn off your computer so you can stop working.

maryann - Interesting thought how uncomfortable we can feel with the thought that eating will end. Sounds like a stellar day, "read, putter and play Risk with DS."

Woodland - Can't beat this, "My feet are up, my doggie is laying by me, and I'm going to relax!" Kudos for recognizing the good life.

nationalparker – Yep, "often we eat more in larger groups" - don't know why, but it does seem to happen. Kudos for "skipped all appetizers."

Tricia (AZtricia) - Bon Voyage - have a productive convention and fun stay at your mom's.

flnu - Welcome back to stateside (I assume). Congrats for making the transition with weight stable.

Readers -
Quote:
day 19 Stop Fooling Yourself

Read the following list of self-deluding sabotaging thoughts and check off those that you've had in the past.

It's okay to eat this because ...
  • I'm upset, and I just don't care.
  • I'm craving it, and I'll probably just eat it eventually.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 162.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #77  
Green Tomatoes

Let's see if I can get back in the morning posting habit.

I re-read Day 8 of The Diet Fix yesterday. The topic is eating out and the messages are: do it, not too often, be selective. Only he says it in his more enthusiastic tones that make you think you can and should do it more often -- until you get to the rule of thumb that eating out more than three times in a week is likely to result in a weight gain. "Fair or not" -- which reminds me of the Beck principle of comparing one's self to other successful dieters and maintainers. I'm much happier eating from my own kitchen and giving restaurants a small, but special, part of my life because I see BillBlueEyes and others here do the same thing. It also reminds me of the thoughts by Lexxiss yesterday that what seems like normal in our society is really not. It's all been manipulated by marketers and food manufacturers and our own biology that's designed for scarcity and doesn't function well in abundance.

WI: -0.15 kg, Exercise: +40 415/1400 minutes for July, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Have you read Walter Isaacson's biography of Benjamin Franklin? I read the parts where he was in London over the weekend (and wrote about it on my blog today: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2014/07/...lin-in-london/). I think Americans are taught a very one-sided version of George III.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-10-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #78  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A brief check in-yesterday was a good food day despite an unexpected trip to Denver to have lunch w/DD. I chose well, ate very lightly and compensated at dinner. Credit. I missed the soot explosion (figurative) downstairs even the 14 yr. old boys who were helping thought it was amazing! Possibly even some coal soot from way back in the old days. lol. Needless to say I was thankful I had brought so much stuff upstairs in the morning. I have a plan for today which does not include eating out in Denver since we have to take the pup.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #79  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Despite not posting last night with a success, I did have a successful regroup yesterday. I made chili lime chicken burgers (with garlic, onion, cilantro, lime, hot peppers, etc.) and boy they came out good this time. Did a bit of avocado for DH's - I don't care for it. Have amped up our meals a bit this week and am proud of that. Tonight is take-out salads, though, from a spot near DH's work, and that'll save clean-up time. Looking forward to relaxing on the patio and enjoying the time together. I'll move my music out there... think DH will set up outdoor speakers if I ask him to - he likes projects like that and I just need to ensure that it won't broadcast his AC/DC or whatnot for any neighbors to hear during the day Chris Botti, fine. ha ha.

It dawned on me that I will never hear my mom's voice again, and for some reason that really got me down ... I wish I had a voicemail or something.

Dinner theatre plans tomorrow night - goal for the dinner is to limit bread this time (last time it was two rolls at this place, too) and honestly, it's not that good. That's what kills me. Honestly, I'm fine with indulging with something that's wonderful, but not this stuff. Our tickets come with free dessert and since we go every 2-3 months instead of weeks, I'm okay with that.

Looking forward to time on weekend to do some personals!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

flnu: Welcome back and credit for maintaining. That is a huge deal.

AZTricia: I agree with your husband - I like a clean car to start. I think of it as a celebratory send off. Good luck at the convention. i hope it is worthwhile.

gardenerjoy and nationalparker: You were both talking about being selective. I think this is a very important component to treating myself with respect. I am choosing something to eat because it is unique and worthwhile - not because I am practicing an addiction. This is a very slippery slope. I think for me the difference comes when I have been practicing discipline and restraint - not running from it.

Sat down while eating yesterday except when I was tasting for cooking. I have to work on a solution for that. I feel like I am yearning to eat something but can't pinpoint what it is. Maybe it is that I know soon I will be on a restrictive food plan and can't stand the idea of restraint.

Exercise planned. Weight below ticker. Quiet day working at home. Boys are at the Giants/A's game.

Last edited by maryann; 07-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Becksters,

Lots of spontaneous exercise in the yard this morning. I sanded and oiled a bench that was really needing it. I got one splinter, and lots of back stretching. Yeah for cool mornings that are mostly fly free.

Everyone's presence and posts inspire me. It is so nice that you come here and we work together on Beck skills. I think of you during my day.

Waving to all
Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday again

Coaches

Eating was what it was supposed to be. I made a bacon bone and veggie soup (the sort that take care of them selves) in vast quantity and had that for lunch. Dinner is planned and nothing nasty in it. I ate standing up making soup - celery, carrot etc. Kept noticing after the event. Also when shredding the bacon. So not a good Beck day. I really have to work on that more.

I think I will eat my dinner on a cloth on my desk (only table in the unit) instead of on coffee table with TV and see how that works. I know I eat slowly but not mindfully.

I have a lot to do at the moment and am not making the progress I need to - have to be disciplined tomorrow and also go to gym!

BillBE - I am looking forward to retiring to enjoy all the reading - although Joy seems to fit it into a busy life. That fruit looks good and healthy

Garderjoy - I reckon eating out three times a week is fairly excessive / generous. I like your idea of a small but special part in your life. We are having a great series here (BBC) at the moment - "The men who made us fat" and "The men who made us thin" (second less interesting) which raises all those food politics and industrial issues we all get strident about (on You Tube in episodes too)

Maryann - credit for sitting down when eating. I think one has to taste the food as one cooks - that isn't eating but it can become eating of course.

Woodland - credit for spontaneous exercise and staying the path

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Measured my food
- Logged my food
- Ate sitting down - no - chopping veges at the sink
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Weighed myself - going down slowly again
- Exercised - gym - didn't get there
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise - Not one - a really sedentary day
- Made a food plan for tomorrow - yes - on paper
- Made a schedule for tomorrow - have a plan for the day
Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - World Population Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking the floors of Home Depot and Sears trying to buy a dishwasher before the Fourth of July sales expired. What a pain! I'm slow to realize that the units on sale are the ones with awful reviews in Consumer Reports, Amazon, and elsewhere. The old Maytag's aren't on sale and are expensive but have the one quality I want - lowest number of service calls. I wish I could just use the model number that I like that's some 12 years old and get an identical replacement.

Eating was OKish. With the Sugar Snaps from our garden gone, I had to have some imported from Central America. They just don't compare; they taste better in the winter when my taste buds have forgotten the joy of the fresh ones. Today's the day I increment the month counts in my signature; CREDIT moi for a month gone by.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder, "what seems like normal in our society is really not." [Enjoyed your enthusiasm for Benjamin Franklin; methinks I'll have a peek at that book. Just requested it from the local library network.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for a basement covered in coal soot - not sure how that stuff is cleaned up. Kudos for a light lunch.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for experimenting with a way to eat sitting down without TV. (Soup with Bacon Bones illustrated for those of us unfamiliar with that phrase.)

maryann - Count me as one of those who "can't stand the idea of restraint." (Ouch that it wasn't a good afternoon for your Giants.)

Woodland - I do love exercise that results in a task accomplished. Yay for a bench all oiled up and ready for another year of weather.

nationalparker – You got me drooling for chili lime chicken burgers; I'll have the avocado on mine, also. Interesting how often we indulge in foods that aren't that good.

Readers -
Quote:

These thoughts delude you into eating when you shouldn't. After all, a calorie is a calorie, no matter when, where, or why you eat it. You might be able to see how irrational these thoughts are right now. Yet, in the moments when you really want to eat something, you might try to convince yourself that these thoughts are valid.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was very weird. By the time I got to lunch, I was dealing with multiple triggers to overeat -- a big change in the plans for the day, no plan for lunch (due to that big change), no quick option for my normal big salad, a craving, home alone. I used multiple tools to come up with a solution. I knew that I needed to get in and out of the kitchen quickly or I would do the overeating that I wanted to do. I'm most proud of my solution to the salad -- I washed and scraped two carrots and ate them Bugs Bunny style. Credit! I also ate the thing I craved (a turkey sandwich -- using the turkey breast DH grilled the night before on good whole wheat bread) but had a cup of tea rather than a second sandwich, even though it was so good.

WI: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +75 490/1400 minutes for July, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Continue to practice Beck skills. I decided to eat two of my rabbit hole foods but limited myself to smallish servings sitting down. I know I am making these choices because I am three days to a set food plan. I think this is the purpose of these two weeks - building behavior resistant muscles before having to face food restriction. Scale down half a pound. Reaffirmed belief Beck works if I work it.

Anxiety this morning. DS is traveling to Southern California by plane by himself to visit aunt on Monday. I will put him on the plane and aunt will be waiting on the other end. He is one month older than unaccompanied minor regulations so it is a little less secure. I don't like it. It is emotional for me thinking that something might happen. It makes me hungry. I asked DH if it is worth the risk? He said what risk is it this year as opposed to 2 years from now? 3 years? What about the risks staying home? A freak accident? There is no rebuttal. Loving is the risk. I can choose to stay in the mainstream of life and accept what is uncomfortable or I can remain oblivious- high on food. This a day to day decision, sometimes a minute by minute decision.

BBE: DH was thrilled with the outcome of the baseball game. He is an Oakland fan (much to my chagrin.)

gardenerjoy: Credit for your solution. It is freeing to be able to accept that every meal does not have to be perfect. There will be another one coming along in a few hours.

GosfordGirl: I love a big old pot of soup. It is healthy, easy, and makes enough for several meals.

Woodland: Credit for soaking up a little vitamin D out in the garden bed.

Last edited by maryann; 07-11-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

Very busy day here, but still following Beck. I like a slower pace. The back didn't hurt much from the bending yesterday, for that I'm pleased. Also, I saw a lower number on the scale today. Yippee. Working the Beck so it works

Personals again once I have a bit more time.

Waving to all

Last edited by Woodland; 07-11-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #87  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Busy day here as well...just back from a midnight trail walk under the full moon after the dinner theater tonight. All in all a good day, eating was in moderation, being saved by the fact that they didn't offer the Reese's pie at dinner. Better check in tomorrow...
Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday

Coaches

Enjoyed getting food right today and preparing it. Made a lovely Blood Orange and Fennel Salad to go with the soup for lunch. I didn't sit at a table last night because my environment was not organised Beck style. It was late and work was all over the desk etc. So today I moved the computer to one end of the desk - had been meaning to for a while, and the other end serves as a work space a place to eat so let's see if I use it tonight. I read something today about changing eating habits and losing weight as happening one food choice at a time - helped me remember when I was confronted by choice

BillBE - Congrats on incrementing your ticker yet again. Hope you find something to replace the Maytag - my sister is trying to replace her 25 y.o. top loader washing machine and is grieving. Doesn't know what to buy and should it be a front loader and so on [you settled on a top loader without an agitator didn't you - wonder why Mr Engineer]. [BTW - my bacon bones are not half that elegant but the left over ribs and spine that I prefer to the loin or the hock because a far greater smokey surface area - yum]

Gardenerjoy - great problem solving and resisting - awesome

Maryann - You are being very brave about DS trip - and kudos for staying with the discomfort rather than obliterating it with food one choice at a time

Woodland - glad you pulled up well after a day of activity. Yay for scale coming down

Nationalparker - sounds like a lovely night and OP too

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Measured my food
- Logged my food
- Ate mindfully most of the time
- Ate sitting down - no - nibbled on blood orange peels
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow
Old 07-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, where I watched a guy talk on his cell-phone headset for his entire workout. No place is sacred. He wasn't particularly loud, but was persistent. Walk, CREDIT moi, included the community garden to water it and harvest lettuce. DW teased me for bringing home no cukes. I hadn't seen any. She walked back after dinner and picked three six inch ones that I'd missed. Those guys disguise themselves well. Additional exercise was four trips from the third floor to the basement putting away all the tools and stuff that had slowly emigrated to the fan installation task that had encountered so many obstacles. Putting away tools isn't my favorite task.

Eating was OKish. CREDIT moi-ish. I walked to Trader Joe's to replenish the nuts I've been nibbling since I have none left for my peanut butter sandwich. It's dangerous to have nuts on hand when I'm in a nibbling mood, but more dangerous to not have the nuts I need for my favorite lunch.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the phrase "ate them Bugs Bunny style" - the honorable way to consume a carrot.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for changing up your environment to help focus on your eating. [We weren't ready for a front loader because we're too close to a friend's story of waiting three days for a repairman to show up to open a stuck machine that contained some clothes they wanted. DW also wanted to be able to open the top and toss in a forgotten item after the cycle had started; we didn't really get this one because the top locks down after the machine thinks about the load and plans its wash pattern. We'd prefer the old fashioned cycle know where the user is responsible for choices made - good or bad. I'm hard core libertarian when it comes to appliances.]

maryann - Congrats for taking one more step toward letting your DS go by encouraging him to fly alone. Love this, "Reaffirmed belief Beck works if I work it."

Woodland - Yay for a back that stands up to extra work.

nationalparker – A midnight trail walk sounds so much fun.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Stop Fooling Yourself

The next time you have an urge to eat something that's not on your plan, notice what's going through your mind. Only on rare occasions do people put food in their mouths without thinking about it. There's usually a thought that precedes eating. Pay particular attention to thoughts that start with the phrase, It's okay to eat this because . . .

Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #90  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's adventure included planned fast-food -- it went according to plan and served its purpose as a convenient meal in an, otherwise, inconvenient situation. Speaking of normal...DH and I split what this place sold as a normal lunch. We were perfectly satisfied with half of normal.

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +45 530/1400 minutes for July, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread