Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

A fly by this evening to ensure that I post and be accountable. I stuck to plan last night and today - I have been very hungry and just not wanting the salad I usually have so have had to get other options

Went to gym - made myself and it would have been easy to talk myself out of it - not time etc so Credit, and I walked. After tomorrow I can just settle in and get work done - no appointments or classes

Tricia - unusual to see you write not on plan - you are a rock! I am sure you will get back on track

BillBE - sounds like a big party indeed. Difficult to deal with leftovers that are not on your "plan".

Maryann - what an awful situation for you. But you seem to have taken charge and helped the young folk (and your DH also helped). Yay for seeking health rather than destructive behaviour patterns - families...Credit for staying on plan and having a plan

Nationalparker - so much has happened. Thanks for checking in. I am glad that sorting has been easier than you anticipated. The whole driving trucks thing sounds difficult! This will pass and you will get back into a routine

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Logged my food in MFP
- Ate sitting down
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym - YES
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #212  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to gym, CREDIT moi, but . . . did no gym as the electricity in the building was out. Bummer. So I did a long aerobic walk to celebrate mid-summer. Later I walked to the library where I showed Frozen to the children's librarian and said, "I have a complaint." Without missing a beat she responded with feigned sympathy, "I understand. To compensate we'll give you a free rental of The LEGO Movie - it's sooooo much better." I felt better realizing that this poor person had to watch these movies for a living.

Food wasn't better yet - Ouch. We emptied a full dozen Glad containers of leftovers from the fridge - progress toward returning to normal life. Most of the bad stuff is gone. I harvested some more 'last' lettuce from our community garden, two cukes, and only two bush beans. We got a full 2.0 inches of rain in a torrential hour that came with tornado warnings. We just don't do tornados around here - quite a surprise. The rain did delight the heart of gardener DW.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for seeking on-plan alternatives to your salads when they don't appeal.

maryann - Super Kudos indeed for removing yourself and the two boys from the destructive behavior. It was a lifetime gift to them - patterns that just won't enter into their unconscious brains. My admiration that you pulled that off. Yay for free entertainment.

nationalparker – It only takes an hour to master driving a stick shift - I say go for it. The hard part is starting; give yourself at least 20 tries killing the engine as you try to be safe by not giving it enough gas, then get annoyed, give it gas, and the car starts right out. Shifting while driving is a piece of cake compared to starting. Yay for your DH buying your dad's pickup.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now

If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Draw a symbolic line. Don't give yourself until tomorrow to get back on track. Instead say, Here's the line, right here, where I stop this unplanned eating. Mark this line by brushing your teeth, polishing your nails, going out for a walk, calling a friend or your diet coach, or engaging in some other non-eating-related activity.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 166.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #213  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A brief check in-I am on my way to work then will evaluate what/where I'm going to be tomorrow, based on if new baby arrives. We really need to make a quick trip over the hill to take care of some business and it's a bit complicated by the fact that they are starting to install my moms new boiler today. Everyone is agitated-except me. Credit. Food has been OP and I am planning ahead to keep it that way. Weight is 1# off ticker.

MaryAnn, kudos for sane thinking and reaction amidst chaos. Kudos, as well, for setting some boundaries, although painful. I, too, am joining you in a frugal August. I've already started and we've had 3 OP meals from the freezer/pantry.

Take care all!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #214  
Green Tomatoes

We have contractors working on the house this week, making it hard to get my normal morning things done, like posting. Or much of anything else, really. I wanted to pop in and give virtual hugs to maryann and nationalparker.

I turned my ankle gardening yesterday. It's responding to my normal treatment, which I wrote about on my blog for today: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2014/07/...adersworkouts/
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am feeling much better today. Accomplishing small things always gets me back into a feeling of peace and safety. Like BBE says it is a good thing to get back to normal.Thanks for all the kind wishes.

This week, DS is at "farm camp" (ironically) with his cousin in Marin County. It is a small animal farm for city kids to experience agricultural. DH and I are smirking wondering if DS will pop up with something like "You call that a tractor? My daddy has a harvester that . . . " Chances are low. He is a pretty polite kid. I know he is enjoying a week with a "brother." Both are only children. I know he is safe and sound so I have been enjoying the quiet around here.

Food is OP for the week if I follow today's plan. Enjoyed fresh food gifts from people - tomatoes, pluots and watermelon. I am making a new ticker: OP weeks as defined by staying within weekly calories in My Fit Pal. The ap takes into account exercise as well as nutrition so it gives a good picture of total health. 10 weeks will equal a celebration yet to be determined.

Gosfordgirl: I hear you when you say I am hungry. Reread Day 22. Just say "Oh Well" which means I don't like this but I will accept this." a very helpful tool.

Nationalparker: The new trucks are very easy to drive. You will quickly get use to it. Just don't try to parallel park

Lexxiss: Frugal August here we go!! It is so comforting to know I have OP food around me no matter what happens during the day. There is never a reason to default to eating out.

gardenerjoy: Thanks for the hug.

Last edited by maryann; 07-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #216  

New signature.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #217  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Truck is all packed. Very appreciative to DH for no cussing when I kept remembering things (rocking chair, three paintings from Italy, extension cord handy dandy spinner that is wall-mounted) after the entire truck was secured. I try HARD to not get frustrated with his things like that because it's all dependent on intent to me. He gassed up the rental suv with the most expensive choice by $1 add'l/gallon a few days ago and was all apologetic. I said it's not on purpose - we all do these things. He's still realizing I'm not his ex, and things aren't all something to yell about.

We get on the road tomorrow morning and have two long days of driving.

Thank you, GardenerJoy, for the positive thoughts - I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes smoothly.

Bill - DH offered tonight to teach me the stick shift. I said if we'd thought of this last week, yes, but not tonight. I am aiming to report back that I'm smooth as peanut butter with it next month. Want some time to get it down. I consider myself a "very good driver" like Rainman, but hopefully I AM much better than that, ha ha. I enjoy driving. Am a horrid passenger and I recognize that.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #218  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Strange day. Not logged, but I had peach cobbler instead of dinner so I know protein was lowish. Somehow I missed posting...not sure why, I started then must not have finished. Wishing all an awesome day tomorrow.

Beck FB Tuesday Reality Check: If you think, “I don’t want to accept the things I have to do for dieting” remind yourself, “I have a choice: I can struggle with what I have to do and feel badly, or I can accept that this is the way it is. It doesn’t mean I have to like it but continuing to fight against acceptance will do NOTHING but make it harder for me to reach my tremendously important goals.”
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #219  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent time planning a trip to the Adirondacks in upstate New York. I've never spent time there even though it's only five hours from Boston. It's going to be hard to see all of its 6 million acres in one trip, LOL. Out tent is currently set up in our driveway to test whether it's still waterproof after a few years of storage in the attic. Looks good so far.

Also spent time organizing unfiled papers and stacks of stuff - CREDIT moi for attacking my environment. I fill my life with stuff with the notion of maybe-someday-I'll-want-this. Someone recently asked what I'd do if given three months to live. First thought was to clear out all my stuff so my kids wouldn't have to face it. Would be neat if I cleared it out without needing that sort of threat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the notion of "Rub dirt in it."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Simultaneous arrival of a grandchild and a new boiler is just too much.

maryann - Yay for the new ticker. Your DS's trip to farm camp reminds me that my friend had kids from Puerto Rico in her High School Spanish class. Huh? Well, it seems that the street language these kids spoke wasn't recognizably Spanish outside of their set of street friends.

nationalparker – Have a safe drive home. Kudos to your DH for keeping his cool.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Oh Well, peach cobbler for dinner every now and then feels naughty.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now
....It's destructive to continue to eat in
an unplanned way for the rest of the day

...just because you ate something that
...........wasn't on your food plan.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 167.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #220  

Default Wednesday Evening

Coaches

I need to go and buy a pastured chicken so I can make my Chicken Chilli soup - mind you the temperatures have been 25 (77F) today and tomorrow but then they plummet (well for here anyway) to 16 - 17 (61 - 64 F) and soup will be sustaining. The weather remains too warm and too dry for this time of year.

I did have to distract myself from hunger and plan snacks so I could eat when scheduled. I have today managed to eat sitting down all day. Have also dealt with hunger with 'Oh well - you will survive"

BillBE - Credit for substituting exercise when your preferred option disappeared. The weather sounds wild - we need a bit of that

Debbie - Glad you are out there - credit for not being agitated and for being prepared. What are your favourite smoothies - your standard recipe

Gardenerjoy - I really liked the notion of "rub dirt in it" - a bit more extreme than "oh well" or "suck it up". I smiled at the idea of Midwestern callousness - I need to remember that "small unsolvable problems are best handled by a refusal to whine and a determination to get on with things". Terrific. I hope your ankle improves soon by the way

Maryann - your smoothy sounds fabulous but way too heavy on the carbs. I am glad you are feeling better after family behaving like family does. Credit for on-plan food for hopefully the full week.

Nationalparker - so much has happened in the last month or so in your life - it is unbelievable. And you are about to go home with an entirely different set of connections. You need to take time to reflect on those changes and probably the impact won't hit you for a while. Credit for getting done what has to be done. Hope the trip goes well - keep us informed if you can

Tricia - I am noticing your ticker - only recently you hit onederland and now you are at 196 - amazing. Hope you have a good day too.

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-30-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #221  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'll add to my previous listing of forgotten items a wonderful cushy folding card table and chairs that also still need to be loaded up. DH's reply at 6 am when i remembered was ohh noooo.

Have a great day, all. Road trip food is especially hard for me to choose well. I feel i deserve more,more often, and less healthy.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #222  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

nationalparker, safe travels!

Our drive over the hill yesterday gave us the information we were waiting for...40.5/MPG. That turns a $65 RT in the SUV to $22, confirming my suspicion that this car will pay for itself. I am still a traditionalist, and might have preferred a classier model, but this will do. I noted a cute car this morning, thinking I liked that body style better....alas a BMW....my but I have good taste. lol.

DH was chomping at the bit to get to the weight room this am so I dropped him off and am missing out on the pool at the moment for a little bit of private time. I was trying to post before we left and his pacing was driving me crazy. Credit for using my new brain skills to devise a solution which doesn't include conflict and attends to our collective needs.

Food yesterday, OP, and no hunger, although I worked all day. Credit, again to my morning smoothie. Made in a vitamix, and like MaryAnn, we now have two, one for each house.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), here it goes....my morning smoothie.
This smoothie evolved, and has less to do with taste and everything to do with nutrition. I was never really a breakfast person, and sitting down to eat stuff just doesn't jive with my schedule.
My coworker was interested in my energy and she worked her way into it, primarily by adding just a bit of ginger root and working her way up. Many mornings I don't necessarily enjoy the taste, and I will confess I don't sit down and sip slowly. I usually chug because it's time to get out the door....and it's more like daily medicine to me. (Sorry Dr. Beck LOL)
My smoothie starts in the refrigerator. I always have these items (organic) on hand.
Kale
Parsley
Beets
Cucumber
Cabbage (red and green)
Ginger Root
Celery
Carrot
Apple
I occasionally read about the specifics of these veggies, which confirms I'm headed in the right direction. I think the variety of all the different veggies is good, too. DH swears the ginger root is keeping us from getting sick and I always like "an apple a day keeps the Dr. away).
The beet, in addition to being a blood inhancer, really helps with the color. Drinking red seems better than a blah green.
Carrot, I read, purges the sticky cholesterol stuff that creates blockages.
Cucumber has electrolytes, celery and ginger root are anti-inflammatory.
DH and I make for 2, and I have a pretty hearty glass everymorning.
I add a greens powder called GreenVibrance(I buy on Amazon) and others who use it seem to agree it's an energy booster. (Spirulina is one of my favorites)
I now make my own protein powder using chia seed, ground flax seeds, hemp seeds.
Oh, and I always add a second fruit (or more), depending on what we have.
Banana, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, cherries....they add additional nutrients and a bit more flavor.
I have also devised a system for keeping every veggie from spoiling. I have 0 waste (but that's another story)
I have never felt better and I drink this in the morning and don't get hungry all day. I usually have a snack when I get home around 330pm. I think my blood sugar is super stable now.

OK, coaches, gotta get to the pool. I get to do my own thing this morning...water yoga, for sure.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #223  
Green Tomatoes

The contractors painting the exterior of our sunroom discovered rot and shoddy construction. If we weren't in the middle of painting, the right choice might be to tear the whole thing off and start over. We think there's a solution that can keep it standing for the 5 or 6 years to get our money out of the paint job. And, give us the time to figure out what we really want to do. It will all best be done in the context of designing a new deck and a rehab of the kitchen, with possibly changes to my upstairs office -- basically the whole back of the house.

A bit stressful. I ate too much. But as I discovered with the help of Dr. Yoni in the last few months, recording it all in My Fitness Pal works well for me. It wasn't the total blow-out that I imagined, I got it all back in control late in the day and have every reason to believe that I'll stay on plan today.

My ankle is much improved, still puffy but only painful if I move it wrong. I realized that when I thought about my ankle, I was limping. When I didn't, I wasn't. So, I stopped limping -- that just causes my pains to move from ankle to knee to hip to back. I don't need that!

BillBlueEyes: LOL at trying to see 6 million acres in one trip. I'm having the same problem with planning our time in London. The best mantra I've found is "we'll go again." Even if it doesn't turn out to be true, it makes planning a trip much easier.

nationalparker: best wishes for your road trip. We only stop at McDonald's these days when we're traveling. I like the Chipotle BBQ Snack Wrap (Grilled) and DH and I split a small order of French fries (and usually throw away about half because they aren't as good when they get cold -- my niece calls those the "dead ones"). The calories are about right for a meal for me and it's tastier than their salads so I don't feel like I made some huge sacrifice.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #224  

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP yesterday to finish the week 200 calories under allotment. That feels terrific. Credit. This food plan feels very sustainable to me if it can weather the storm of last weekend.

I am planned and prepped for the onslaught of Frugal August. I have an OP menu plan with no intention of going to the supermarket for a month. More fresh food appeared at my door -cactus prickly pears from our ranch manager (from our cactus) and two big zucchini. The cactus and yesterday's watermelons are going into a yummy smoothie with chia seeds for snack.

Today's goal is to put to be scrapbook for 2010-2011. Wish me luck.

Food is in MFP and step class checked off the list.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #225  

Default Thursday Night

Coaches

Hungry all day - survived by "oh well", white knuckling it, and resistance or distraction. At least at work there were not many options. At the shops on the way home wanted hot chips, a fish pie, crisps etc. Made it home unscathed and am looking forward to a planned dinner and hopefully that is it

Exercise was gym and lots of steps (10.5 K steps so far - 7 KM. Who knows how accurate it is). I have increased my goal steps to 7000 and active minutes to 15 per day to extend myself a little

BillBE - The Adirondacks look pretty cool - so their not just interesting looking chairs. Good luck seeing it all .

Nationalparker - Hope road trip food isn't too ghastly

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Thanks for the info on your smoothy - it is more the way I tend but I have to say I am trying to find flavourful combinations and without too much fruit. Well done working out the economies of travel

Maryann - credit for finishing the week well under calories. Glad your new plan is working for you

Tricia - hope you are OK out there

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-31-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Closed Thread