Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #211  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default all of a sudden

Coaches

All of a sudden it's summer and I am uner the gun deadline wise once more. IU have a show and the steam roller printmaking event at the end of the month/beginning of August and I still have to do gate installation/have a visit with my sister while we finalize long term care arrangements for my mom (july 7-11) and keep pushing forward with the taxes and keep up with the ojgner term accumulation of ceramic objects in case I get into that big fall show that will net me some serious dough. I hope. and I hope I get in. So I am firing on all cylinders and letting you guys know I'm not gone. Just in work-mode.

Foodwise, I'm not trying very hard. I seem to be at a loss of what to do for my foodplan. A thought occurred to me the other morning that if I want to be half y size I should just eat half of what I usually eat. I think this may be the simplest approach ever. Could it work? What do you guys think? Man it would be *hard* to do that, but on the other hand, no other changes are asked of me at this busy part of the season. Should I try it??

I'm thinking of cancelling the gym membership and looking for some swimming near my studio, which is the next town up from where I live. I'm not getting there and I am in fact not even much in the area and I have to fit gym into my work day not as a special effort to get there kind of thing.

Better go. Already close to running behind.

*credit* this week I got my art school to send me receipts I need for my taxes! We slowly move forward...

Bye!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Hi All!

Did well yesterday and am down 4 lbs so far this week. Love to see scale movement.

Im going to Chicopee, Massachusetts to visit family this weekend. Im nervous because I will be at their mercy. lol. These folks do not eat healthy so my plan is to eat small portions of whatever for lunch and dinner. Breakfast we eat out so I have choices. Snacks can be fruit or veg. Hoping to stay the same weight until Monday. nervous.

I copied something I like to read from Geneen Roth about how we may think self scorn and disgust will get us to lose weight when really its love. Wanted to share it with you.

From Geneen Roth:
Although the very notion that hatred leads to love and that torture leads to relaxation is absolutely insane, we hypnotize ourselves into believing that the end justifies the means. We treat ourselves and the rest of the world as if deprivation, punishment, and shame lead to change. We treat our bodies as if they are the enemy and the only acceptable outcome is annihilation. Our deeply ingrained belief is that hatred and torture work. And although I’ve never met anyone, not one person, for whom warring with their bodies led to long-lasting change, we continue to believe—albeit unconsciously—that with a little more self-disgust, we’ll prevail.
Long-lasting change can only come through kindness to yourself, curiosity about what you are doing, and a willingness to act on your own behalf.

Day 7... Arrange your environment.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Grateful for OP yesterday - busy planning backpack trip, going to Doctor for lab results, working with a sponsee, all of which I did without " a cookie in my hand" as someone just posted.

We are backpacking up from Santa Cruz Beach into Big Basin State Park. DS is very excited. Food is packed and planned. My big focus is to only eat while sitting and to not use any slips as a flag for "kitchen sink eating" (as in everything but the kitchen sink.) I want to remain intentional.

Making slow progress on mood swings. Credit for reasonable approaches.

nationalparker: DS and I had a picnic before out of town music lessons. Usually we eat Subway. It was terrific to lay on the blanket with him; we both read. Saved money and calories. I think about Beck's rule: dieting takes effort effort. It is worth it.

Ceejay and Beachbody: Both of you talked about thinking the bite through. Do I like how it tastes? Can I have less and be satisfied? I find it helpful to practice questioning myself before bites. My addiction thrives on mindless eating. I have been hitting the sugarbowl lately (embarassing). Yesterday I decided to sit and eat a controlled portion of chocolate almonds which I loved. No sugarbowl. I call that a win. The next step is to plan it in the morning.

AZTricia: Yikes! Arizona with a broken air conditioner.

GosfordGirl: Super kudos for taking necessary financial steps. Doing the footwork lays the foundation for peace of mind later on.

gardenerjoy: Stopped and bought 6 pints of blackberries from the local place. They are dreamy this year.

FutureFitChick: Thanks for the reminder to tolerate hunger cravings.

BBE: Big quote today: Hunger is not an emergency.

Last edited by maryann; 06-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Checking in. Off plan last night by 275 calories. OK, so trying again today as I come off the "Ain't no Brakeman on this Train" eating I've been doing. OP so far, it's late evening that seems the most difficult.

I will weigh in tomorrow to re-establish the habit, not because I expect a change!

Best to all

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 06-27-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #215  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We are on our jet in Atlanta ready to embark on our final flight home. We had a wonderful family event and some very bittersweet moments. We met new family and when we left Key West I had the feeling in my heart it was the ending of a certain chapter in our lives.

Food choices were mindful and I walked and swam in the ocean.

I felt comfortable in my own skin and was iincluded in many family photos. I am feeling ready to embark on another phase of my personal journey. I did a lot of writing on my first flight and I have a Beck centered plan. Credit.

More later
Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi,

I'm so glad to see familiar names on this thread! I used to be around more, often just lurking, but plan to be around more as I re-commit to using Beck skills.

I found The Beck Diet Solution back in 2009, and used the skills to lose a bunch of weight. I went from 197lbs to around 135lbs, and maintained for about a year.

I allowed the stresses of going back to work to get in the way of staying with Beck skills. As a result, my weight crept up and up, until now when I'm averaging 165lbs. I'm sick of letting my sabotaging thoughts run my life!

As I put together a new food and exercise plan, I've experienced such a feeling of relief. Knowing all the food I'll eat in one day takes away so many of the sabotaging thoughts, and unknowns.

I've been lurking here for about a week, and as I've read your posts I've been reminded that many of us have similar struggles. Your words have helped, and reminded me that The Beck Diet Solution skills work for me. Thanks for being here.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #217  
persist

Angry night check in

Coaches

Had a decent day food-wise. No seconds and one snack. I made more art stuff and feel I am making progress and getting things in line. My sister is coming July 7-11 and we have a lot of stuff to do for my mother and none of it is fun. I find myself resistant to giving the retirement home where my mom is the benefit of the doubt. I am more and more unhappy with her there but cannot, still, imagine her in the long term care secure ward. Geez it's all so hard to accept.

I feel bad for something I did that had unforeseen consequences. The landlord was in to turn on the air conditioning. You know I get all stressed cause he's coming in the apartment, right? So he came in and put the temp to 23C. So the day it went to 23C the father upstairs emailed the landlord to say it's freezing in his apartment. His wife tells me it's freezing and she's worried her son will be sick it's so cold. We would be ok with no air conditioning so I could open the windows at will as he is on my case AGAIN for opening windows with air conditioning on just like he was on my case for opening the windows in the winter and so we got dinged with a more than our fair share part of a huge heating bill in feb. So the landlord was going to come by to raise the temperature on the air conditioning so it goes on when it's hotter, like 24 or 25C. When he got here i said put it to 26C. Who cares, one degree more, right? I thought great I can open the windows right uo to a temp of about 24C outside. Awesome. I'd rather have windows open max. amt of time. So I come home the neighbours upstairs have their kitchen window wide open. For a while too. I feel ticked off cause I always get chastised for doing that. So when the landlord shows I tell him, you know, I'm not the only one with the windows open. They had them open upstairs too. I just wanted him to know that I am not some freak. When I said that the landlord's mouth fell open like he had never heard of such a thing. And then I immediately wanted to take it back. And not. And take it back. and not. I've just been pissed lately. (Someone backed into our car yesterday morning while I was drioping DH off at work. The guy parked right behind us just started up and started driving, crunch, nice size tiny-ish dent over our passenger side rear wheelwell. *sigh* DH accepted his offer of $100 for the damage because "he's just the maintenance guy who works at his building" assuming he makes not very much and the guy felt really bad all night. Uh yeah. He should have. So did we.) Anyway... so later this evening she knocks on my door, the wife, (these are the Syrian war refugees btw) so she says "can you tell M (landlord) to turn the air conditioning down again? It's too hot now. So hot up there. My husband has spent the last 3 hours yelling at me for asking him to turn it up and M sent us an email about the window being open and my husband is so very angry with me about that, and it was just open a few minutes to air out the kitchen and oh he came right then (this was exactly what happened to me in the winter) and my husband is so angry and the children are all complaining it's too hot and what temperature is it at now? So I say 26, thinking I should lie and say 25. She says oh can he put it to 24 or 25? It's so hot. And I am thinking, what's 1 degree going to do? and I am thinking crap. Look what happened cause I was a tattletale and I can't tell her I was the one that told him and geez what did I do that for and man how come those men are attacking her when the husband sent the email to the landlord as well? Like what??? I can't take it and I certainly do not want to deal with the prickly landlord again. DH said just tell them he came and put it to 25. DH also felt I wasn't wrong to say they had their windows open when he dinged us so much in the winter for being "the only ones" who open the windows to let the heat out thereby driving up the heating/energy costs.

You know, I don't know why the landlord gives a flying F for what we do so long as we pay our bills. It's a mystery to me, but coaches, it's also a reminder that we need to get those taxes done so we can move on out of here. I will be sure to remind DH when he is resistant again, as he still is and will continue to be.

Thank you for letting me bend your ear and I really do not want to eat over this.

Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-27-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #218  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

DH and I "treated" ourselves to a local divey-type drive in joint here for lunch. We've gone three times in the past five years. All I wanted was the onion rings. You betcha - fried onion rings. We share an order and still toss a few. I had three large ones and they were as good as I remembered. Breakfast and dinner were light, hoping to balance it out a bit.

OneByOne - You have such a good way with words. Hugs to you as you and your sister prepare the next step with your mom. Sorry that you're caught in the middle with the landlord and the other tenants.

Got a bunch done today - dusting wooden blinds in two rooms and pulling three huge bags of weeds from gardens. Now my allergies are knocking me out. Hope to sleep it off a bit.

Tomorrow is mom's birthday - want to honor her memory some way.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #219  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

OP for today. Crockpotted dinner while the boys swam and I collected groceries. Of course I picked the slowest check-out lines

FYI AC is working again, it was only off long enough to thaw the ice build up on the coils. We have a hepa type filter and when it gets too full of dust the air flow is not fast enough to take away "cool" from the coils before frost builds up...and if we don't catch it for a couple hours it turns into a huge ice block.

Friday Weekend Warm-up: Eating your food slowly and mindfully allows you to get so much more enjoyment from it (even if you’re eating less!) then quickly wolfing it down without paying much attention to it. This weekend, take the time to SLOW DOWN and really enjoy every bite you eat.

nationalparker Mmmm, fun lunch! Wishing you a day of happy memories tomorrow honoring your mom.

onebyone Kudos for a good food day. Wishing you the best in figuring out plans for your mom.

Woodland Welcome

Debbie/Lexxiss Wishing you a safe trip home. Kudos for mindful food choices.

6crowsgold Kudos for committing to good habits for the sake of healthy habits.

maryann Hope you have an awesome backpack trip. Hurray for progress on dealing with moods.

Beachbody Congrats on an exciting start to your Beck journey. Four pounds is awesome!

BillBlueEyes
Dh always loves new tools! Wishing you a better day and a solution to your project.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for being careful with food and planning to go to the gym.

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-28-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Happy Saturday

Hi Coaches

I successfully negotiated food last night and today. I planned a snack this afternoon and enjoyed it. Chores, washing, cleaning, gym kept me preoccupied during the day while waiting to hear about the viewing. A lot of people went through and a lot went through last Wednesday. I got the same offer as the other day which is about 15% more than they thought it might get and from looking at the market up there and the house I think it is the best I will likely get. So we will exchange contracts on Monday and see if he buys after the 5 days cooling off and inspections etc. I do want it off my mind and out of my life - however don't think I have given it away but done quite well (have to think that I guess )

Went through the freezer and listed all the food there. Will make a list of meal options for the week and meals for lunches to get on top of food

BillBE - Ouch for not on plan - you seem to be under extreme vent fan duress as you are always on plan! Good thing that you find healthy vegetables cheering - not many would

Onebyone - Glad you are on track with your projects. I can see you are anticipating / dreading the visit with your sister to discuss accommodation arrangements for your mother - I will be hoping for the best

Beachbody - Yay for 4 pound down - great work. Good luck with the family gathering. Interesting quote thanks with really central ideas. Good luck with Day 7

Maryann - enjoy the planning - as much fun as the doing hopefully. I like "I want to remain intentional" - sounds like a good way to be.

6crowsgold - ouch for offplan but credit for a great response. LOL at "Ain't no Brakeman on this Train" eating - a nice diversion to go and look up the song and listen to John Mayall do it - great

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Glad you survived the family and appreciated the opportunity to catch up. It is sad when family moves on. Glad you were happy in your own skin

Woodland - Welcome - glad you could make it back - and that you have shown how successful you can be again.

Nationalparker - best wishes as you honour the memory of your mother in your own way

Tricia - Yay - glad the AC was only out of action for a while - didn't sound good. Glad food and life and kids are going to plan (except for check-out lines. Never can count on them)

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Logged my food
- Ate sitting down
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym + 10 minutes bike
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #221  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Paul Bunyan Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Feel like I've reached the point where progress on the vent fan is now just work. That's a good place - there can't be many "unknown unknowns" left. I do have to buy a tool; went to three places who didn't have it. I have other things to do until I make a trip to Lowe's or buy it online. CREDIT moi for the progress to this point.

Walked with DW, CREDIT moi, around our favorite pond at a non-aerobic pace since she has "three weeks" until a ligament heals that she annoyed by doing too much. Kingbirds were out; seven Mute Swans were consuming all the vegetation that could be serving native water fowl; Canada Geese were protecting their goslings; Japanese knotweed seriously invaded one large area; one area supported abundant Common Milkweed that's crucial to the Monarch Butterfly; one lone pair of Mallards were diving for food - unusual for a dabbling duck well known for its tail sticking up in the air as it feeds on stuff just below the surface. The standard mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. Food, again, only OK, with meals on plan and snacks extra.

onebyone – Kudos for getting those Art School tax receipts. My take is that reducing your food to half in one step is a big leap - one that would be a major challenge to sustain. Can you take the same idea and determination with a smaller reduction of, say, 500 or 1000 calories a day? Continue to send supportive thoughts as you and your sister struggle to find the right situation for your mom. And keeping my fingers crossed for getting into that fall show.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for the bittersweet. Super Joy for earning "felt comfortable in my own skin."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for "15% more than they thought it might get" - you certainly deserve to feel that you've done well. Planning meals to deplete your freezer is a challenge. maryann is an expert on that topic from her pantry depletion times.

maryann - Backpacking is just the best. And the good news is that you can't eat any more than you can carry, LOL.

Woodland - Kudos for "re-commit to using Beck skills." Yep, there are some of us still here and some new from around the planet who are ready to go forward with you. And Kudos for forging a new food and exercise plan.

nationalparker – LOL at the image of a "divey-type drive in joint." Will think of your mom on her birthday today.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for working air conditioning. It's great that you know the cause of icing up to have some hope for preventing the problem.

6crowsgold - Yay for back in the habit.

Christie (Beachbody) - Congrats on those 4 pounds gone forever. Good luck in your trip to Massachusetts - there is healthy food there somewhere, LOL. Thanks for the Geneen Roth tip; especially liked, "We treat our bodies as if they are the enemy..."

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full
tip! If you finish what's on your plate and feel disappointed that you can't eat more, remind yourself that you'll be able to eat again soon. You might say, It's okay, I'm going to have a snack in three hours - an apple and a cheese stick ... I can wait. Then immediately read your Advantages Response Card to remind yourself why it's worth putting up with this momentary disappointment.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Hi Coaches!

Ive decided to not start Week 2 in the book until Monday. Im off to relatives in MA in about an hour. I am too new to this and am nervous about "winging it". I will not eat "like there is no brakeman on the train". lol Love that expression! Mindful eating and when in doubt, just eat protein and veg. I haven't eaten "junk" for over a year so Im good in that dept.

Next week I also want to up the exercise/movement. Ive done yoga once a week and its kicking my butt. I need to add the weightlifting and swimming. Plus it makes me feel better.

See you next week!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #223  
persist

Exclamation looking for magic answers this morning.

Coaches

The Dr. OZ Rapid Weightloss page on his website caught my attention via some other thing I was searching for, like the historical photos of Richmond Hill, Ontario. Cause, you know, rapid weightloss is INFINITELY more interesting than pictures of farms and horse drawn buggys--though that is not uninteresting to me but...what if what if WHAT IF doing Dr. Oz's 2 week plan gets A PILE of this weight off FAST?! What if. And what if my personal house-cleaning fairy brought my incredibly cute and fuzzy art-making unicorn, the one with the self-shedding 24k gold horn, (sheds 1lb of gold every 2 hours!) over to make my prints for me? That would be *almost* as good as shedding a pile of weight right before I have to be in the public eye once more.

Man. I am a sucka for this kind of shallow promise.
Now, the sage advice from a successful weight-loser like BillBlueEyes:
Quote:
My take is that reducing your food to half in one step is a big leap - one that would be a major challenge to sustain. Can you take the same idea and determination with a smaller reduction of, say, 500 or 1000 calories a day?
makes me go. Oh. *sigh* ho-hum* no magic here, just calorie counting again. *Sigh* I am wondering if I reduce my food by 1/4? Like I just ate a breakfast sandwich made at home. I cut it into 4 quarters. I *could* have left one quarter. The exercise would get me used to leaving food and not making tons -- ohoh my just told me I would only up the amount of food I make NOT MAKE LESS so as to eat the same amount I would naturally eat to compensate for the 1/4 that I would give up.
Yikes.
My brain is just that kind of schemer. The ONLY way to know how much you're eating IS to scientifically objectively measure it. You can't feel your way around one cup of rice. "It looks like a cup to me, or close enough" is not the same as "wow, it doesn't even fill this measuring cup up or geez that was way too much rice. I can't jam it all into this cup (cause I will, at times, jam it full truth be told. But there is still only a certain amount that will be jammed.)

So I have my answer then. I need to get back to measuring and weighing my food portions. I cannot be trusted. My "new normal" is now 275-278. It was 260-265 only three or four months ago. That's how I roll--upwards!

OK better get to work. I did discover that my deadline for the giant steamroller printmaking event is not the first weekend of August as I had thought but the 23rd, so I still have lots of time to get that planned and done and it gives me much more space to work on the art show at the end of the month along with my own personal projects, including experiments on ceramics and doing a workshop or two for the $ with the potters showing the how to make silkscreens so they can make designs to decorate the surface of their pots.

Yeah. Better go!

BTW it is IDEAL printmaking weather! Perfect. I put my old linos in the sun for 10 minutes, they got toasty warm, the ink went on smooth, the paper adhered to it and the transfer was, for the most part, flawless. What a joy.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-28-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #224  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had two strange days. The first where I acted as if I had no guidelines for much of anything my life. I worked too long at my desk, had too few healthy food items available to eat, so ate was convenient instead. Not a pretty picture. Yesterday was better, but a lot of socializing and a meal out made it unusual. Today should be more normal for me. I like normal.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 1210/1400 minutes for June, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

GosfordGirl: the early blueberries were remarkably tarter than store-bought, but I liked that. Now that they've matured a bit, they are like store-bought only more intensely favored -- so, yeah, worth the effort!

onebyone: The Step Diet by James O. Hill recommends eating 75% of what you've been eating -- the example is a hamburger at McDonald's. Cut it in four pieces. Eat three and throw away the fourth. He claims you won't miss it. I successfully tried that method once by moving down a measuring cup on cereal (2/3 to 1/2 I think it was) -- I barely noticed. I eliminated a snack at the same time and the two together got the scale moving again.

Woodland: great to see you back!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi,

It is great to be here. Thanks for your warm welcomes. I've been so happy since I started doing Beck skills again.

I'd forgotten how nice giving yourself credits is. Without a plan, I didn't have a good reason to do what I should. I don't care if others might find this fact odd. It just works for me!!

I think part of it is my age-old fear of hunger. Without a plan, I'd eat plenty to be sure I'd not get hungry later. With a plan, I can clearly see all the food I will eat that day, so I have no need to worry. Nice!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Colorado has been pretty wet this spring. It has been great for my garden. So far I've been lucky and we have missed the hail that has been around for the last two weeks. If the hail stays away this could be a banner year for produce!

Do many of you garden? What's your favorite thing to grow? I love tomatoes and corn. I also like zinnia flowers for their colors.
Closed Thread