3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/296402-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-june-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

Lexxiss 06-13-2014 05:24 AM

Hi Coaches!

Another busy day for me here and I'll be traveling in an hour to take mom and DH to Dr. appts on the other side of the hill. Fortunately, I'll get several trips to the hot springs before I head back to work for a very busy Father's Day Sunday. I have a plan, which is to not buy groceries, since we leave on our trip in 10 days. Fortunately, everything in the fridge/freezer/cupboard is healthy so I surmise I will have many good choices. Credit.

nationalparker, I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's passing, yet grateful that circumstances let you fly where you needed to be. Sending supportive thoughts and a thanks for taking the time to inform us all of your change in plans. Take care.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), thanks for the great insight in your post this morning. I do find that the daily positive thoughts surrounding "showing up" is very helpful for me. It reinforces what AZtricia had shared about letting go of the "victim" mentality. The daily crazies of those around me could be great excuses to dive back into unstructured eating but I choose to show up and take personal responsibility even when others in my life simply "don't".

I must keep moving this morning. Sending my best wishes to all!

BillBlueEyes 06-13-2014 05:37 AM

Friday the 13th

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, at my new facility. I remembered to bring headphones so that I amused myself on a treadmill changing channels on my personal TV. We're modern here, unlike the old gym with three TV's on the front wall for all to see and for those to hear who brought their tunable FM receivers. Then walked to the garden. Our community garden is exquisite. DW says it's the best in at least five years. Lettuces form a background of varied colors; Sugar Snaps are harvestable - ate them right off the vine. Bush beans are growing; tomatoes are behind, but robust. My job was to wrap two rows of cord across the 6 foot stakes to extend the lattice so that the Sugar Snaps can keep growing upward.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks were off - OUCH. I was preparing for our long weekend visiting relatives where there will be the typical tensions, as there always are when bunches of related folks gather. So I preemptively wallowed in the tension which I then tried to make disappear with peanuts. Was not surprised that peanuts do not reduce tension. We have a flight this morning; I won't post again until Monday. Have a good weekend.

onebyone – Life is challenging enough without comparing ourselves to Kirstie Alley. I wish this site had no weight-loss ads, but they're automatically generated based on posted text so we draw them big time. Your No Seconds, No Sugars, and No Snacks put you firmly on the No S's plan today.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats on finishing your project. I know about "a few little niggles to work out," LOL.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I do like that question, "Can I show up for this?" Glad to have the Tibetan Calendar day noted.

nationalparker – Thinking of you and your family with supportive thoughts as you deal with the loss of your mom. I'm so glad that you made such effort to spend time with her while down there, including bringing your dad to her facility so he could see her.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Thanks for the reminder that watching growing boys eat is discouraging.

Readers -
Quote:

day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Ideally, you would eat only when you're hungry and stop eating when you're almost full or mildly full. Chances are, however, that you're not naturally good at this skill. Most of the dieters I've counseled didn't know how to recognize when they were really hungry and when they weren't. When they relied on hunger signals to guide their eating, they invariably overate.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 158.

gardenerjoy 06-13-2014 09:44 AM

Yesterday's food plan worked the way I like -- I hardly thought about food, just ate when and what the plan said to eat. This, I think, is the main advantage of Beck over The Diet Fix -- I'm not sure I would have a day like that if I only had The Diet Fix to rely on.

BillBlueEyes: have a great weekend!

nationalparker: continuing to send you warm and comforting energies at this tough time. There's a lot of things that happen between the death and the funeral -- a routine of sorts that can be a comfort and distraction. Since this was unexpected, at least in the timing, there's also a shock that can provide a kind of detachment for a few days that can be helpful while wading through those tasks. I recommend drinking lots of water because it all seems to be dehydrating somehow.

nationalparker 06-13-2014 09:26 PM

Well, things are sliding into the absurd here ... sister has already approached our father about changing financials and it's going to create a major rift in our family if this progresses. Brother is extremely frustrated and also irritated at me not diving in to "fix things and say my piece" ... I'm trying to figure out the way to move forward with this with my father - to warn him to not make any quick financial decisions. Feel like the result as this are moving now will be sister's family will be lined up for most of financial gain. I just want things to be focused on my mom right now. Wrote my eulogy but am REALLY doubtful that I can actually get through its delivery. I worry that I'll choke right up at the start, "Above all my mother was a lady..."

AZtricia 06-13-2014 10:16 PM

Miserably hot from collecting groceries @ 103F. I'd rather go in the morning, but have committed to help the board sell some books at a fair tomorrow. Took the boys to swim and the pool was closed for a "dive-in" movie so they had to tag along shopping. The "can we buy..."s were not too absurd, but pretty constant making the trip seem longer than going alone. Today was OP...now to cool off.

Friday Weekend Warm-up:
With summer right around the corner, it might be time to start brushing up on some of your skills. Have you been eating everything sitting down, slowly, and mindfully? Reading your Advantages List? Responding to sabotaging thinking? Giving yourself credit? Making time and energy for dieting? If not, make a commitment to work on your basic skills this weekend to help get you in the right mindset.

nationalparker So sad for your loss and for your dad who must be in shock and just devastated by the sudden absence of his wife. Wishing you wisdom in dealing with sis during this traumatic time. (Article on grief/finances: “The biggest mistake that they [survivors] make is that they think they have to do something right away,” )

gardenerjoy
Hurray for an awesome day...agree with you about Beck vs DF.

BillBlueEyes Wishing you a safe flight and less tension than you expect. Glad you enjoy your new gym.

Debbie/Lexxiss
Kudos for good available choices and a plan.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Thanks for sharing the "show up for yourself" great thoughts and I hope that you will be able to get momentum from the thought.

maryann 06-13-2014 10:40 PM

Good Evening, Coaches.

OP Day. Tomorrow is off to SF Giants game for DS bday. Packing my food with me.

nationalparker: You and your family are in my thoughts.

GosfordGirl 06-14-2014 05:37 AM

Saturday

Coaches

Planned lunch in a new cafe before going to a gathering for the afternoon. I went there because supposedly they worry about such things as grass fed and free range or organic. They thought I was odd asking for a burger without the bun - they haven't seen weird yet. The burger was delicious and I will go back. At the gathering I had planned to graze an a very small amount of allowable food for afternoon tea. The only thing not too toxic was potato crisps so had about 5 of those and left it at that. Yesterday I went into the city (not hard - 10 minutes) with the specific purpose to visit a "Paleo Cafe" which looked really good on paper and all the right foods etc. Unfortunately they didn't know how to cook and it was nasty. If I had my time over...

So today I am pleased because I ate to plan and avoided all grains and wheat and ate low carb. My dinner is planned in the same vein. And I enjoyed the gathering and I am glad I made the effort to go

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope you got through your chores and chauffeur duties. I like a plan that includes not buying groceries.

BillBE - Have a good weekend away! Hope the relatives are not too challenging. Your community garden sounds amazing - and very unusual for the likes of Sydney dwellers.

Nationalparker - Feeling for you dealing with family members with their own agenda. The usual advice is that one shouldn't make major decisions in the midst of major life events. Hope you manage the eulogy - really tough

Tricia - Your life sounds full - and credit for shopping with unexpected tag-alongs. FWW makes me thing I need to work on "Making time and energy for dieting"

Maryann - Credit for OP - enjoy the game

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Read my Beck book

gardenerjoy 06-14-2014 12:58 PM

I stopped weighing myself weeks ago because I was frustrated with working so hard to meet the requirements of The Diet Fix only to not get scale results that I wanted. I determined that I wouldn't weigh until I mastered Day 3 -- the one where you're to time your meals/snacks and get a minimum of protein and calories at each.

The good news is that I've mastered Day 3. I logged on paper through May. On the first day of June, I analyzed the data with helpful results. I've been logging in MFP since then and hitting my targets pretty well. I realized that I had no impetus to improve, now, unless the scale readings aren't what I wanted.

The bad news is that I gained 5 pounds during those weeks that I wasn't weighing. Sigh. The title of Day 3 is "Banish Hunger." And I did. But I'm not terribly impressed since I did it by eating too much!

OTOH, I had some bad days in May (and I don't blame The Diet Fix for that -- it had more to do with some entitlement eating around my birthday). I got back on track quickly and without the drama that I'm used to. The Diet Fix gets some of the credit. Tracking calories has been very helpful to me. Also, the notion that I'm on plan as long as I'm eating at the right times and meeting minimum protein and calorie requirements has helped -- it means that even my bad days aren't really off plan so I don't feel off plan and I'm able to rapidly get back to it.

I'm not changing anything today. For all I know, I weighed 5 pounds more than this in mid-May and I'm actually on a losing streak right now. I'll give it a few days to see if I need to make changes to get the scale moving in the direction that I want.

nationalparker: sorry that you're dealing with family and financial stresses so quickly. Not unusual, of course, but a bit startling at the rapid response. Good for you for writing your eulogy. We don't do that in my family, but I found writing the obituary to be a comfort. Can someone else read it for you? Would lots of practice in front of a mirror or your DH help? I know that's how singers are able to perform tender songs.

AZtricia: 103 seems absurd at any time, but especially still in mid-June. Good for you for staying OP in spite of the challenges.

maryann: great idea to pack food for game day!

GosfordGirl: Interesting cafes and events. Good for you for trying out new things and evaluating what works and what doesn't.

AZtricia 06-14-2014 09:14 PM

The boys have been eating zillions of frozen bananas since the weather turned scorching. I occasionally treat myself as well. Today we had grilled chicken salad and my carbs were low enough to have one and be OP. :hungry: The cold sweet was a nice finish to dinner. Lost another pound :D

gardenerjoy Awesome that you have mastered DF day 3! Just great that the data has been analyzed and helpful :cp:, and that you've been able to keep even "bad" days OP! Kudos!!

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Glad you enjoyed your hamburger, bummer that the Paleo restaurant was such a let down. Great Credits! :cheer3:Hope you made some time/energy for your healthy planning! It is worth it and I feel better when I do.

nationalparker Thinking of you and the eulogy. :cry:

onebyone 06-15-2014 12:34 AM

Nationalparker: Terribly sorry to read your mother has passed. Take comfort in knowing you were a good daughter who was there as much as you could be as you have been and will continue to be for your father and your siblings. When my brother died we focused on his wife and while you have an enormous loss to cope with your father will need your strength too. And things do change in families. Do not be afraid to say whatever you need to say. You are allowed. I hope you can read the eulogy you wrote. I did the same for my brother. I am very happy I did so today. Please take good care.

GosfordGirl 06-15-2014 05:23 AM

Sunday

Coaches

Last day of my leave sadly but I have a few weeks to get the results finalised for my subject and then get ready for next semester so it is not full on yet. But we need that time to get things in focus and properly prepared

Went to gym today and pushed myself a little. I can now do 4 times one minute on the cross trainer (hate that thing) with other exercises in between to make four sets of each of 5 exercises. And then I did 2 minutes straight on it - who knows I might get to 5 straight minutes eventually. I think gym is getting to be a habit - I routinely go 3 times a week again now that I am recovered from the cold. I really would have liked to stay in today (very cold and lots of projects) but I just went and showed up, so credit moi. It does make it easier if you don't think about it but just do it.

Gardenerjoy - Credit for mastering Day 3 but also for sticking with things to see how they really work - and then sharing with us! LOL at banishing hunger by eating too much - probably not the intention. Will the fact that you have kept thorough records help you decide what calorie level is appropriate? and you can adjust the protein proportion to be appropriately satiating? I liked his thinking but can't deal with all the snacks, but I am careful with protein and eating enough when I am not eating too much!

Tricia - Yay for another pound lost! Frozen bananas are pretty good - I keep them for smoothies. Have a good day out of the heat

Onebyone - Hope all is going well

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Measured my food
- I stopped eating when satisfied - left food on my plate
- Used distraction and resistance techniques - was wanting to eat all I say at the market
- Weighed myself - still above ticker
- Exercised - gym today
- Steps -
- Read my A&R cards
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow

nationalparker 06-15-2014 09:41 AM

Hello and thank you all for the supportive thoughts and financial info ... I spoke with my sister casually yesterday - she doesn't want to consult any financial advisor and I said I don't want information from the internet ... we'll see. My work sent a gorgeous flower arrangement to my parents' home and that was so thoughtful. DH and I are staying with Dad and sister, and tomorrow we'll go to stay with my brother or to a hotel - i think we'll mix it up every few days and leave on Saturday. I'll check with brother to see what works best for him/his wife.

Eating has not been great. Wearing my less baggy clothes so I keep that in mind.

One interesting thing to me - If I'd not lost a bit of weight the past few months, I would NOT fit into my black suit or my navy linen suit. Now they're wearable. I would have been stressing about finding clothes at the nth hour.

Tonight we're gathering for a father's day dinner at a restaurant, and while not celebratory, you can't let times when the family is able to get together slip by.

gardenerjoy 06-15-2014 11:59 AM

I messed up the timing of my snacks yesterday, so ended up hungry and had strangely-timed and unusually large snacks. I still ended up with a good number of calories, though, so I'm happy enough. Even better, I have a plan to make sure that doesn't happen again.

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +60 650/1400 minutes for June, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

AZtricia: frozen bananas sound like a great treat. My mother used to freeze seedless grapes to snack on.

onebyone: great to see you here with such helpful thoughts for nationalparker.

GosfordGirl: Good for you for making gym a routine! My new record-keeping habit will definitely help me figure out what calorie level is going to work -- especially as I add the scale data into the mix.

nationalparker: good for you for finding a way to honor your father on Father's Day, even at a tough time for the whole family.

AZtricia 06-15-2014 10:05 PM

Squeaked by, barely OP today with steak and brownies for Father's Day dinner. Mainly a relaxing day today, but we are hosting another financial class on Sunday's and we had the first day. I was surprised to find another pound gone this morning, but won't log it until it is still gone another day.

gardenerjoy Kudos for a plan to fix your snacks and for still being at a healthy limit.

nationalparker
The financial class we are leading is by a nationally known author/speaker and he has "qualified" providers in many cities. If you'd like a link to his site, the advisers he recommends will be honest and have the clients best interest in mind.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Vacations fly by so quickly! Kudos for improvement on the cross-trainer. Awesome list of credits. I should have stopped before I finished the brownie, but I had already weighed & logged it... next time I'll give it to dh then it won't be in front of me. He is a brownie-a-holic.

onebyone Good to see you :wave:

maryann 06-15-2014 11:19 PM

Good Evening, Coaches.

I am calling the weekend a win. Stayed away from Off Plan foods except a few corn treats that DS has for his bday. It is amazing how much less I crave food when I stay away from wheat, peanuts, soy, artificial sweetener and when I eat enough protein.

DS is packed for camped ( it took all day) and ready to leave at 5:00 am tom. I am very emotional. I was able to make it a good, fun day but am looking for a little quiet tomorrow to sort through my feelings.

gardenerjoy: I am so impressed how you are perserving in finding new and healthy ways to eat despite negative numbers on the scale. I went through a two week Atkins type two months ago and succeeding in messing up my metabolism for several weeks. Still I am proud of myself for searching for the best way I can maintain.

GosfordGirl: I am off the grains and except rice and immediately I felt less hungry. I have proved this to myself time and time again but I don't like the facts :(

AZTricia: I might have missed a post. Have you named your financial class?