Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - QEII Birthday in Australia - Donald Duck's 80th Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, my Sunday morning usual - lush everywhere, such a joy. Later hopped on my bike to Trader Joe's for pecans. Rode through a park with many Sunday picnickers and a bunch of little kids squealing in the sprinklers build into the plaza just for such. Fun day to be alive.

Food was only OK - but CREDIT moi for that. Dinner on the patio sat facing the full bloom Peonies three feet away. DW can't pin down the color, perhaps super dark magenta. Birds were out - the whole bit.

onebyone – Emailing resolve right back to you - you've had it in the past so it's simply misplaced. Sending supportive thoughts for a sore knee and relationship dynamics that both find resolution. I loved the Bodies Exhibit when it passed through the Boston Museum of Science.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – An all-day Garden Tour sounds like your vision of heaven. Kudos for 11,000 steps - that's a lot of Begonias.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Just what I need today, "I need to take care of myself and stick with my food plan. No Choice." LOL at, "That's a lot of pancakes and eggs!" - trying to picture the stack.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Happy Birthday to Queen Elizabeth II. Yay for using down time to catch up on TV decadence with your dogs.

nationalparker – Ouch for a stall item on the to-do list, from a master at that. You might try a minor reward as incentive, even as simple as an hour reading with a cup of tea. Will silently continue to send supportive thoughts as you work to help your mom and dad from a distance.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for chicken that keeps on giving. And Kudos for OP in the heat.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

what are you thinking?
Notice your thoughts. What sabotaging thoughts are getting in the way of completing this experiment? Here are some common ones along with helpful responses.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to do this. I'll be able to stop eating without practicing this skill.
Helpful Response: This isn't a bid deal. I should try it anyway. The worst thing that could happen is that I didn't need to do it. I might not learn from this, but I also might learn a lot.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 156.
ETA: Changed Begonia to Peony - thinks it's a different flower!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-10-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Changed Begonia to Peony
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #77  
Green Tomatoes

This month's Nutrition Action Health Letter surprised me a couple of times.

I totally bought the new argument that we were oversold on the dangers of saturated fat. But it turns out that's not so clear and the only reason it makes the news so often is that it's a man-bites-dog story. Studies that show that saturated fat is bad for you (ho-hum, we all know that) don't get on the news. Studies that show saturated fat might be good for you, or at least not as bad as thought, (no matter how flawed the study) get on the news because, well, it's news.

More interesting, given recent reading of The Diet Fix and consideration of the diet in Beck's Green book is this:

Quote:
Some studies -- many of them funded by the food industry -- report that higher-protein foods make people feel more full than lower-protein foods. But the best studies find no difference.
I'm not going to change my new higher-protein ways because it's working for me. But I've suspected all along that it works because it's a foreign kind of eating to me. Anything that switches up my eating from my default position of overeating is going to help, at least for awhile. I'm going to quit fretting, though, if my meal or snack comes up a gram or two short of the protein that Dr. Yoni thinks I should have.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Drat! Lost a big ole post. Don't have the energy to rewrite. Note that it was wise beyond my ability.

Maybe I was just supposed to restate AZTricia's quote: No matter what happened with your eating over the weekend, tomorrow is a new day so make it a good eating day and start the week off feeling great!

The greatest progress I made this weekend was treating myself gently over my food choices. Food is planned - written in my new low tech spiral notebook which sits in my kitchen.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-09-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #79  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Posting early because I will be out and about till late tonight.

OP so far today (breakfast/lunch). Will be at Mimi's Cafe for dinner/board meeting. Planning on the "Mediterranean Salade with Herbes de Provence Chicken" with no bread or dressing to have it in my calorie limit for the day. Dinner is going into the crockpot for the rest of the crew who will be hungry after swimming. My lost pound was lost again this morning, so I am moving my ticker and starting another 7 day count to hopefully be down to 203...almost to those ones!

Tomorrow's insane taxi mom schedule:
9:00 am 10 miles west with middle ds who chipped his tooth last night (dentist)
1:30 pm 18 miles north with youngest for dyslexia therapy
4:00 pm 13 miles northwest with oldest to meet a possible voice coach
7:00 pm 15 miles northeast to a friend's home for a meeting

I really want to move closer into town!

Beck FB for today: Do you ever think, “I don’t deserve credit until I reach my weight loss goals,”? If so, remind yourself that this is 100% NOT TRUE because all the small steps along the way are what add up to the big changes. If you’re not already, right this moment start giving yourself credit for all the positive steps you've taken. Pay attention to progress, not perfection.

maryann So good to hear that you were gentle with yourself on the weekend. Kudos for a food plan!

gardenerjoy Thanks for sharing the study. Higher protien is working for me too, but I think it is mainly because I eat fewer carbs which make my blood sugar fluctuate. If my carbs were all veggies or even legumes I wouldn't have a problem. I'd rather eat watermelon, though!

BillBlueEyes Kudos for a walk in the beautiful spring and extra exercise riding to TJ's. Have not seen as many birds here lately...they've migrated away from the "oven" aka AZ.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Hurray for relaxing and decadent Wishing you a refreshing week. We try to stay in AC or a pool all summer here. Our home actually has two big AC units, one for upstairs the other for down. Before summer is over we will likely spend at least a week above 110F/43C so I shouldn't complain too much. (tomorrow's forecast is 106F)

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-09-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #80  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Not sure what happened, but computer locked up and i lost my post - my fault for working on it for a while and not posting it quickly.

Doing okay so far, food-wise ... lunch wasn't great - had bought a "good" frozen meal for lunch this week, healthy ingredients and organic. Well, after heating it up, it looked more like someone had eaten the photo on the box and regurgitated it. I ate a few bites, and then dumped it ... then went searching for something else. About 300 calories later, I still didn't feel that I had eaten a good enough lunch (good enough? what does that mean?) ... but stopped and just cut my losses. Dinner will be here soon enough, I reasoned.

Looking forward to meeting DH up north of town to buy a small bistro set for the patio. I picture wonderful candlelit dinners on beautiful dishes amidst our blooming flower pots. Never mind that darkness doesn't fall until after 10 p.m., we'll have candles during the daylight. We've been eating outside in our relaxed seating area, and that's been fine, but I've wanted a small table out there, as well. I justify a purchase that I don't need to make for "enjoyment of life" ... hmmm...

Gotta run. Have a great night!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #81  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up checking in

Coaches

Feeling better today. Planning to be OP the rest of the night (I'm off to bed after this = good chance I'll do it. *credit*) and installing aplan for the day tomorrow. Time to move forward. Thanks for the pick me up yous guys.
More tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #82  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A brief hello as I juggle all the various aspects of my current situation. Yesterday was OK foodwise, although I did not follow my dinner plan. I had to spend time at the project after work then my sister wanted to talk to me, which wasn't going to happen until after my usual bedtime. I brought toast upstairs and went to bed early...got up for a 10:30 phone call (emotional) and then decided I would just head back up to the project for the painting that was necessary before my helpers showed up this morning. Now I'm going to get an hour of rest before I officially start my morning. In college, we called this an all-nighter-before finals. This is my "finals" week as we see this project to it's finish.

I have a plan for today, which I just decided. I'll make our salmon salad and serve it with green salad/toast. It's easy and nice Summer food. (BTW-we had a frost Monday night that killed my neighbor's zucchini) Ouch. I can pretend it's Summer, anyway.

Anyway, looking forward to getting back to "normal" life, whatever it brings. I love that my environment is full of foods that serve me well and that I don't have to add grocery shopping to my list right now. Credit.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-10-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Iced Tea invented at the 1904 St. Louis World Fair

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercised on my bike, CREDIT moi. Riding past food places is easier than walking past as I don't linger in the aromas as long. It was also easier riding past Whole Foods with its FREE samples than it is walking past. Rode past the local BBQ place having its street fair where a modest ticket buys a huge plate of pulled pork and a draft beer. I dawdled just long enough to savor those smells then moved on. Riding in just a knit shirt was itself a treat.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. DW has a temporary knee issue so I fixed a tray with her black tea and small dish of nuts. That means that I dipped into her secret jar of mixed nuts and . . . didn't sample a single one. Separate CREDIT moi for that. (I edited yesterday's post to change Begonia to Peony and change the link to google images of Peonies. Yikes for flower names getting jumbled in the brain - sorta makes me feel more OK that people names have the same problem.)

onebyone – Glad you're feeling better and to read, "Time to move forward."

Joy (gardenerjoy)Nutrition Action Health Letter comes through for me just when I need it. That issue debunking some ten current fads reporting science helped clear my brain. Kudos for seeing that your own path is just fine despite a credible article debunking other seemingly credible articles. By the by, thanks to you St. Louis folks for inventing iced tea some 110 years ago. It was a staple as a kid and I still love it, though I've switched away from the sweetened variety.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for being able to pull an all-nighter. I had to give those up when I passed out of my 20's. Kudos that your "environment is full of foods that serve me well."

maryann - Yay for 'gently.' Your view of tomorrow is so much healthier than the one that I now can't get out of my head from Scarlett: "Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all... tomorrow is another day."

nationalparker – Ditching that frozen dinner is a superb example of Beck's day 17 End Overeating behavior - Kudos. Yay for setting up your environment on your patio to enjoy dinners under that stars - whether they're visible or not.

Tricia (AZtricia) - LOL at cartoon "In God's Oven." Extra Kudos for remaining on-plan with that much driving going down.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

what are you thinking?
Notice your thoughts. What sabotaging thoughts are getting in the way of completing this experiment? Here are some common ones along with helpful responses.

Sabotaging Thought: I hate to deliberately waste food.
Helpful Response: Which is better: deliberately wasting food or overeating and gaining weight? What would I tell my best friend if she had this problem? The truth is the extra food will either go to waste in my body or go to waste in the garbage. Either way, it'll go to waste. And no matter what I heard from my parents when I was growing up, overeating doesn't help starving people any place in the world.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 156.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Grateful to report OP day yesterday. I committed to a more restricted version of the food plan in hopes of getting back to what I was eating in December. As always, I briefly surface from my reverie of denial shocked at how little I can eat to lose weight. I am again grieving the loss of any bites beyond three meals plus a snack. How can I get so far astray when I "diligently" watch my food every day? What is the analogy of the sailboat? You never head directly toward your destination. You constantly adjust east or west to find your way home.

In any case, I was pleased with yesterday. Credit also for trying the new machine at the gym - the Helix. It is a lateral stair stepper - with a motion that mimics something between a constant salsa and a speed skate. It is my plan to increase my exercise during my summer break. Referring to gardenerjoy's discussion on accepted food wisdom never making the big headlines, research always comes back to promoting exercise for maintenance of health.

Last edited by maryann; 06-10-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

Running late today. At the last minute, I ended up with lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I ate precisely 6 tortilla chips with salsa and waited patiently for my lunch after that -- while drinking my iced tea in honor of the day of its invention. (Thanks, BillBlueEyes).

I'm feeling sadder and more discombobulated than I expected to have learned that my gynecologist has retired and I need to find a new one. I had the same doctor since 1985 when I was 23 -- the year that he did surgery to remove a lump in my abdomen that turned out to be a lymphoma tumor. My oncologist retired decades ago, and my parents are gone, and the friends I had at that time are no longer in my life. I'm losing my last connection to a defining moment in my life.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #86  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I would love to have been able to post that I did great last night, but I could have done better. I ate my entree at dinner instead of splitting it in half, so had 580 calories there and 10 chips/salsa as well ... I was uncomfortably full, a rarity for me, but I didn't stop. WHY? Because if I had there wasn't enough left to save. What happened with leave something on my plate. Just poor decisions. DESPITE Bill's Beck posts that tell me to do just that! Will take this lesson forward. DH says I'm not eating enough during the day and getting too hungry at night. There's some validity to that, so will work on that.

Of course, today I feel huge and frumpy and bleh. Raining today, so yard will most likely not be mowed until tomorrow night if it stops. Will pack instead; that's easy enough.

And now I'm hearing in my head my niece, who was enchanted with Gone with the Wind as a teen, in a non-great Southern accent in a voice filled with desperation, calling, "Ashley! Oh, Ashley darling." Over and over. And over. All summer one year. And I don't even think that line is in the movie. Memories
Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #87  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

OP for today. Almost too hot to eat. I still have not cooled off from running ds's around. Over 80 miles on the car already today...only 30 more to go. Everything went well today at all the appointments, so that is good news. I was excited to not gain anything after a salty meal out at the restaurant (stayed OP and CREDIT: resisted muffins/breads sitting in front of me for over 2 hours!). Dinner in the pressure cooker is almost done, then I have to run. Wishing y'all a wonderful day.

nationalparker Bummer for a non-appetizing lunch. Kudos for stopping anyway. Sorry your dinner derailed you. Hang in there!!

onebyone Glad you are feeling better. for OP

Debbie/Lexxiss Hope you are not too tired today after your long night. Wishing you a peaceful & restful night tonight.

BillBlueEyes Hurray for nice weather and bike rides. Kudos for resisting temptations galore. Hope your dw feels better.

maryann Loved your constant adjustment picture. We, our envoirnments, and our bodies are constantly changing...so why are we surprised when we must adjust our eating??? Keeping that in mind!

gardenerjoy Kudos for a good lunch with healthy behavior. Grieving changes here too.

Awesome Blog post from Beck today:

http://beckdietsolution.wordpress.co...-up-with-food/

Beck FB Tuesday Reality Check:
If you think, “I have to finish this (extra) food because I’ve paid for it,” remind yourself that the money is already gone. Eating the food won’t bring it back, it will only cause you to take in extra calories. It’s not worth it!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Coaches,

Just a quick check in tonight. I did fairly well over the weekend with eating healthy and on plan in spite of being incredibly busy. Today though I had no plan and was deep into a sabotaging thoughts day- thoughts like: I don't care, I will eat this stuff just today and then go back on plan, I won't gain anything in a day, I can still lose for the rest of the week and on and on.

So am going upstairs to pack a lunch. The kitchen is closed.

Hope everyone is having a good night.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #89  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation a day.

Coaches

Worked on my gate project today but didn't make much progress. I did move forward with it though so credit moi. I procrastinated the morning away and then got there before noon and it was hot and humid and sunny so that made me move slow and then I left mid day. Still, for the time I was there I did well. My plan for tomorrow is to go when I get up so I can be done by 1-ish. It's supposed to be a rainy day tomorrow too. Oh well.

I did a wash tonight and washed all the stuff I wear. Guess what? All my tshirts are men's wear, big and black, except one grey one. I have three pairs of exercise/yoga type pants: 2 grey, one black, and a beige linen skirt. I love colour but you'd never know it from this wardrobe. I am in hiding. I am still going up incrementally in weight. Saw 278 this morning. My tummy is like a beach ball and I feel like it's never going to go away now. I am reminding myself of my aunt, my mother's sister, who also had a large stomach when she was the age that I am now. Of course she had many decades of being thin and beautiful. I never had that. Though I have had my moments of great beauty from time to time. But I was never thin as an adult, not for longer than 8-10 months.

My sabotaging thoughts are fast and furious these days. I'm going to have to go back to real basics: writing down my food plan, closing the kitchen, no seconds, no sugar... we all know what Beck wants from us. I have the green Beck book here beside me. I got daunted by the flurry of exercises around food-the leave it on a plate, the hunger exercise. In the green book they are all just cliustered together and you just do them whenever and in the pink book, which I followed they are laid out one day following the next. I find the green book confusing and it seems impossible somehow. I will need to plan out when I will do what and write it down.

Sometimes I think I am such a baby. I so don't want to grow up, be reasonable, be responsible, take responsibility. Although I do that in most areas of my life, when it comes to food, my body and my health I have a piece missing or somehow I don't connect one part, the eating, the poor choices, with the other part, the threats to my health, the sad lack of colourful clothing, the feelings of heaviness and futility. It's like the electrical current between these two parts of me is severed or something. I am sure it's just re-routed, going into my dream life or my imagination or something, but it's not going into my "reality" electrical panel. I need to trip that switch to the on position! Yikes.

Wow I am sleepy. Must head to bed. Will keep trying until I get it back.

Have a good night coaches.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-10-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: sleepiness.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Weird day - rushed in the morning but had a healthy shake. Had to get the girls (dogs) packed and ready for their visit to my sister's place for a few weeks. And we had to drive for two hours to the exchange site - Macdonalds with a shady parking area where we can get coffee and the dogs wait a while

Choice at Macdonalds not the best but did what I could. Came back and cleaned up dog hair and started loads of washing and then hit the gym. I have half my week off left to enjoy and want to get organised to enjoy it. Will finish washing tonight and have a gentle start to the day tomorrow with no dog walk. I will read my A&R cards and some of Beck. Not sure what happened to yesterday but I took the dogs for 2 walks and...truly don't know but it was late by the time I realised I hadn't posted. It comes back - I met the real estate agents in the middle of the day and signed paperwork to sell my house - scary stuff so have repressed it! I then went and had coffee and a lunch not quite on the allowed list. A bit stressed

BillBE - yes Peonies are far more exotic to me and look beautiful. Yay that your bike is getting a workout. Credit for not sneaking nuts from the secret jar while your DW is down

Maryann - I like your boat analogy. Credit for OP yesterday

Gardenerjoy - Sorry you are reliving a significant life event and find yourself with no one with the same memory - that would be sad. There are events that are not so much about threatening life but about being life altering and as you say defining so I get what you mean

Nationalparker - happy packing! Credit for dumping an inferior meal - not worth the time eating it.

Tricia - LOL at the heat in Arizona - loved the cartoon. Running the kids around in that heat is noteworthy and credit worthy. Thanks for the link to Beck blog - I will read it in bed tomorrow because it looks significant

CeeJay - Credit for check in. I think I even do better when I am working at home if I pack lunch the night before - you have made me think I need to make it a regular part of my plan

Onebyone - basics seem like a good plan - it has worked for you in the past really well. I am sad that you have no colour for yourself, in your clothes. BTDT (the D is not Done but Doing) so it was an eye-opener to read. I love colour but hide behind black as well and that made me say I need to get focus and get back on track and stop hating myself. Thanks for the insights that I can apply more personally. Hope you trip that switch

Credits
- Checked in
- Used distraction and resistance techniques a bit
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - Gym this afternoon
- Walked - 10,200 so far and hit my goal for active minutes
- Read my A&R cards - not yet
- Read my Beck book - Not yet

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-11-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Steps
Closed Thread