Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #136  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up check in at bedtime

Coaches:

did ok foodwise today. *credit*
gardened this morning and then it poured rain=perfect timing.*credit*
cooked food from scratch and posted here *credit*
changed my avatar to show you me. 1st time for that here. a bit scary.*credit*
better head to bed. DH not feeling great Hope he's better in the morning.

bye for now.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday

Coaches

Not a bad food day - work provided food but I had a sweet that was suspect and which I didn't really need. I went to shop on way home and almost bought take away and talked myself out of it and came home to my home cooked from scratch meal so well done me

BillBE - Not a helpful response from the arborist at all - be awful to see a mature tree die. A few of mine died in the bad drought we had in ?2009 - Australian gums so a bit of a surprise that they didn't survive. Glad you have berries now

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Great resistance effort - credit. You do well to be around food all day and stay on plan

Gardenerjoy - Day 4 done! I agree - haven't been near packaged food for years (not that it seems to be helping my weight loss at all )

Maryann - Credit for an OP day. Agree cash is probably a good idea but that is why I need to spend some time working out how much and how oftern etc but I am not being successful in making the time for it

Deelee10 - Nice to see you posting here. Sorry for your grief and sorrow

Tricia - Glad you had a good day and didn't find last nights dinner too small. Hope you get enough rest

Onebyone - nice to see your face! Hello Great credits - hope your DH isn't sickening for something (man flu or whatever) - poor you

Credits
- Checked in
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - Gym tonight - did an extra minute on the cross trainer and an 13 minutes on the bike (my best has been 10)! Plus weights etc
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise
- Read my A&R cards
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #138  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, with a session on the treadmill changing channels on my private TV. Later took a swim in an Olympic length pool in a friend's backyard - just the thing to quell the sticky of a hot afternoon. My swimming was slightly better than it was before I watched a DVD that showed me that my standard way of swimming needed some change. I watched that DVD a year ago and this was my first time in the water since. I'd like to get good enough that I could comfortably swim several hundred yards. Swimming a mile would be the next goal.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. DW grilled salmon using a new recipe containing maple syrup. It was good, but I'm more into savory than sweet. Breakfast was too many blueberries along with Canadian bacon on whole wheat English muffins - a switch from my usual cereal triggered by Thomas English muffins being on sale. Our garden burst with lettuce so I had salad with lunch as well as the normal dinner salad. I do love the summer bounty.

onebyone – Yep, Kudos for gardening for exercise and joy combined into one. Love your new Avatar. Are those your prints behind you?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Perhaps we can encourage Lexxiss and maryann to write a maintenance book in their 'spare time' - I too learn from both of them.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for recycling the 1904(5) St. Louis World's Fair. Double Yay for "we can enjoy life with healthy foods."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Super Kudos for skipping the take away food in favor of a home cooked meal. And Kudos again for increasing your time on the gym bike.

maryann - Neat that your white bean dip is healthy. Yay for Vitamix. [Thanks for sparing me any thoughts of attacking Thornbirds . I just got three book recommendations from relatives and have ordered all three. I'm not short of reading ideas.]

Genius (AZtricia) - Hope you get to walk the pup before it gets oven hot there. I bet one of your boys could straighten out my swimming in a single session.

deelee10 - Kudos for "stuck to healthy food." Your month in Cambodia sounds rewarding.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

You might eat beyond the point of normal fullness for several other reasons, too: One, you might want to prolong the eating experience - that is, have food in your mouth for a longer period of time. Two, you might have difficulty turning your attention away from eating if you know there's food readily available. Three, you might be concerned that if you don't load up now, you'll be too hungry before you can have your next meal or snack. You might link the sensation of overfullness with feeling safe or protected from discomfort. In other words, you eat more now to avoid feeling hungry later.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 158.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #139  
Green Tomatoes

I'm back in the correct decade on the scale. In kilograms, that's a very big deal. Today's reading was 79.8. I'm hoping I've seen the last of the 80s for good.

Yesterday defied planning, but I made reasonable choices. Today will be better.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +45 790/1400 minutes for June, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: I think that Popeye's commercial has a lot to do with the manipulation of scientists, too. Food corporations have humongous marketing departments who work with psychologists to figure out exactly what's going to be most appealing in an ad.

deelee10: sorry about the loss of your mom. A month after the loss was a hard time -- every one else goes back to their normal lives but we still have this big loss to deal with.

AZtricia: I ended up buying my own copy of The Diet Fix -- and I don't buy many books. It's not that I think it's perfect, but there are things that are helpful. And, I still like the positive and encouraging tone.

onebyone: great to see your face! Love all of those credits.

GosfordGirl: Yeah, avoiding packaged food didn't turn out to be the fix by itself. Turns out, I'm quite capable of overeating wholesome home-cooked food, too.

BillBlueEyes: DH and I shared the 7 blueberries that I harvested from my garden for dessert last night. We got netting over the plants just in time. I've rarely harvested more than a few blueberries because the birds get to them first. I'm determined, this year, to beat the birds.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Off to Mendocino this morning. OP foods packed. Plans for long walks on the coastline. I learned this morning how to download audiobooks from my library. Yeah! It is a long drive to where I am going. This will make it enjoyable. One of the books I am listening to is about a compulsive overeater and the effect on her family. It is called the Middlesteins.

Call from DH at the lake as he watched DS take his swimming merit badge. DS was jumping up and down for joy on the dock. Can't get much better than that.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #141  
persist

Coaches

About to get some shut eye. Credits for lots of hunger is not an emergency as I waited for my client to come pick up his gate panels. He arrived at the end of the day. Yay for that. I couldn't get out for lunch and compensated for it minimally by having fast food. No sugar though. Have been craving sugar like crazy. 2days free of it.credit. More change coming.This time I found out the warehouse my studio is in has been sold. So the three of us in there will either find some new place or wait until we have to go. It's a big deal for my warehouse mates. Well and a big deal to me as well. but I didn't eat over it today.

G'night.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

It was a mediocre day in terms of productivity, exercise and food. I stuck to my plans but I am left wanting something else. Hopefully I resist hunger/craving tonight and stay to my plan. I need to spice it up for tomorrow. I seem to be getting home quite late because I don't have the girls here waiting for company. At least it means I am getting on top of work chores

BillBE - Your summer food sounds good and in appreciation of summer bounty. An Olympic size pool in someone's back yard sounds convenient. Here's to working up to one mile. I can barely make one lap these days. I forgot to say that there was a period of time when everyone read Colleen McCullough and people seemed impressed. I couldn't read her but probably because I am so shallow

Gardenerjoy - Yay for out of the 80's - lots of work that. Here's hoping that today planning is easier

Maryann - Enjoy your drive and your book - looking forward to hearing about both

Onebyone - Credit for resisting hunger and cravings. Credit for not overeating about being dispossessed. I hope it is resolved soon

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Logged my food
- Ate sitting down - mostly
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - Steps = 5770
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise
- Made a food plan for tomorrow - not yet
- Made a schedule for tomorrow - need to make space for exercise
Old 06-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #143  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did salad with lunch again today just to wallow in the bounty. Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, with another day of diversion into more snacks than planned - Ouch.

Bike rides, CREDIT moi, took me to the to the supermarket to get something for our book club pot luck and to the cellphone store to get straightened out. My issue was easily resolved but the guy in front of me learned that the cracked screen on his smart phone would cost $250! He was livid. Apparently, smart phones are disposable objects. Another customer knew of a local guy who replaces screens for under $100 which is good to know.

onebyone – Yep, Lots of Kudos for "lots of hunger is not an emergency." And Congrats for delivering to a paying client - income is good.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for leaving the "80s for good." [Yay for harvesting your own blueberries - whatever the volume.]

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Interesting that not having the dogs at home means that you work longer. The book I just finished, The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter by Marc Bekoff and Jane Goodall is very certain that your dogs share your emotions.

maryann - Yay for audiobooks for driving. Congrats to your DS for passing his swimming merit badge.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full
.....If you can't easily take a moderate
to brisk walk after a meal, it means you've
...eaten too much and
you might have an
........unrealistic definition of fullness.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 158.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #144  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Credit for persistence this morning....internet has been pretty poor...I start questioning my computer, etc, but I think it's just the mountain signal. Oh, well.

Since onebyone has posted a pic, here is my outfit I came up with for the day we spend at the beach. I need layers since we drive around in an electric cart and often just head from one event to the next. I actually have a nice swimsuit under(Costco)....$1 (yes, you read right) capris from(shhh....walmart) and a $10 coverup from Army surplus...lol. (The sandals were $60 and a special gift to myself because my old ones don't fit anymore (thrift store). It's hard to imagine my feet could lose so much weight. Anyway, I go to KeyWest this time with 100# less baggage and that feels good, and I acknowledge my accomplishment.Credit.

Yesterday was a spontaneous, yet good food day. I had a plan (to stay home) but mom really needed to do pre-trip shopping so I switched gears. We drove to Denver and discussed what she needed....then she sat in the car while I shopped. We got everything accomplished AND had a nice lunch at the Mexican place where I always order much healthier than I used to. Credit. Dinner switched to a snack to accommodate the heavier lunch and of course, I didn't leave home without my breakfast smoothie. Credit.

I finished my book, AYearofNoSugar, and it did confirm what I already know; sugar is a powerful substance and it's consumption really feeds cravings, which is often mistaken for hunger. I minimize it's use and often marvel in my lack of hunger/cravings, which frees me to work on other very important stuff, such as emotional eating. She spoke of how sugar is added to so many things. I'm a label reader but I went through my cupboard just for fun to look for hidden sugar. I was glad to find it isn't in myVeganPopcorn but was interested to find it added in my VeganStuffing mix. Reading these books increases my awareness and I enjoy learning so I can strive for healthier choices. Credit.

BBE, yay for bike rides! Now you are motivating me to get back on mine. Perhaps I should request that the bike rack be reattached because it's what's stopping me from pitching the bike on for a short ride here and there. Glad you're enjoying the salad bounty. I may try from my little container garden today. PS kudos for another trip to your new gym!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), good that you recognize when you need to spice up your plan. Glad you are getting on top of work chores, even though it means coming home (late) to an empty house.

onebyone, thanks for the picture! IT's always good to see you! I was wondering, too, about the pics in the background. Yay for no sugar!

maryann, safe travels and enjoy your coastline walk! I am loving my online library books and will look for Middlesteins.

gardenerjoy, yay for reasonable choices!

Aztricia, I hope yesterday was a good day for you!

Anyway, now I really need to get productive. I t took me quite along time to create posts this morning but I know it really helps us all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0839 (204x500) (2).jpg (82.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-19-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Default Start Today

Hey all!!

Introducing myself and starting today. As for my weight loss journey, been there, done that, bought the tshirt.

Im a therapist who utilizes CBT in my practice so when I found this book, it was a no brainer!!

Day 1: Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

I will do that after I sign off here. My question to you is: What diet plans are you following? My experience with diets has not been good. I would like to design my own plan ...maybe using exchanges. Anyone doing that?

Kudos to me for getting started!!!

Christie
Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Quick ??

How do I subscribe to this thread?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #147  
Green Tomatoes

I read Day 5 of The Diet Fix. The title is "Think" but, really, it's trying to replace the negative questions in our brain (why did I do that?) with ones that can produce positive answers (what can I do right now to make things a little bit better?). I like that, but I'm realizing a flaw in diet books. I always read advice about what to do when things are going badly at moments when things are going well. It's hard to remember to get back to this chapter when I'm being hard on myself and could really use it. I'm going to write his two positive questions at the top of my Responses list and call myself done with Day 5.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +50 840/1400 minutes for June, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: Enjoy your journey! And those walks along the coastline -- that's my fantasy place to go when I'm feeling stressed. So far from Missouri.

onebyone: That sucks that your studio space is under threat so soon. Good for you for not eating over it. I'm sure you've got some time to figure things out.

GosfordGirl: Good luck with spicing up your day -- that sounds like an excellent way to deal with mediocrity.

BillBlueEyes: We shared 8 blueberries last night -- nice when it comes out even! They're getting sweeter.

Lexxiss: Love your tie-dye and flowers! Very pretty and fun!

BeachBody: Welcome! It will be helpful to have a CBT professional among us!
To subscribe to our thread, scroll to the top of our posts. On the right under the page numbers, there's a drop down menu for Thread Tools. It's under there.
I used exchanges while I was losing weight -- cobbling together what I remembered of the old Weight Watchers and government Food Pyramid and using Richard Simmons as another resource. Exchanges aren't "cool" at the moment, but you can still find inspirational material. As I struggle with maintenance, I've switched to calorie-counting and My Fitness Pal, but I still think in exchanges. They work for me!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 06-19-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #148  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief check in - looking forward to going back and reading posts from the past few days. Mom's funeral was yesterday. Things went well. The funeral director said she received the most flowers in the past 10 years that he's been doing it. That said a lot about my mom and her cherished friends and family. I was able to deliver her eulogy, but choked up a few times, and not able to say the last line.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #149  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Sorry I missed yesterday. I was OP but did finish my calories earlier than I probably should have.

OP for today, have "tacos" planned for dinner where I will have romaine instead of shells. Went to the photographer for youngest ds, who's ninth b-day is next week. He wanted to be photographed with Teddy, and they let him...big smiles!

Two expected events were canceled in evenings this week, so I am happy to be quietly at home. It is nice to have a bit of a slow week for a change.

Beck FB Think Thin Thursday: If you’re at a restaurant trying to decide between a healthy option and an unhealthy option, remind yourself that either way, once the meal is over, you’ll feel full. If you eat something healthy, you’ll feel full and happy, but if you eat something unhealthy, you’ll feel full and mad at yourself. Either way you’ll be full, but how do you to feel in addition to that?

& From Yesterday, Wednesday Sabotage:
I’m too busy to work on healthy eating right now.
Response: Just because I’m busy doesn’t mean I can’t make time for it. If I had a severe nut allergy, no matter how busy I was I would make sure all my food didn’t have nuts in it. Telling myself I’m too busy is just an excuse – I can still do it!

nationalparker
Glad to hear you made it through the funeral and eulogy. Awesome that your mom has so many to remember and cherish her. Thinking of you and your grief.

gardenerjoy your use of day 5 as ARC! Awesome! DF is on my purchase list. Congrats for your new decade!!

Christie/Beachbody Welcome!! Kudos for starting! I am using Diet Power tracking software and counting calories, but also aiming for high protien, low-no sugar, lots of veggies, moderate fruit, and whole grain carbs. The overall effect is a low glycemic index diet...like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabetes Diet & Food Tips
8 principles of low-glycemic eating

*Eat a lot of non-starchy vegetables, beans, and fruits such as apples, pears, peaches, and berries. Even tropical fruits like bananas, mangoes, and papayas tend to have a lower glycemic index than typical desserts.
*Eat grains in the least-processed state possible: “unbroken,” such as whole-kernel bread, brown rice, and whole barley, millet, and wheat berries; or traditionally processed, such as stone-ground bread, steel-cut oats, and natural granola or muesli breakfast cereals.
*Limit white potatoes and refined grain products such as white breads and white pasta to small side dishes.
*Limit concentrated sweets—including high-calorie foods with a low glycemic index, such as ice cream— to occasional treats. Reduce fruit juice to no more than one cup a day. Completely eliminate sugar-sweetened drinks.
*Eat a healthful type of protein at most meals, such as beans, fish, or skinless chicken.
*Choose foods with healthful fats, such as olive oil, nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), and avocados. Limit saturated fats from dairy and other animal products. Completely eliminate partially hydrogenated fats (trans fats), which are in fast food and many packaged foods.
*Have three meals and one or two snacks each day, and don’t skip breakfast.
*Eat slowly and stop when full.

Adapted from Ending the Food Fight, by David Ludwig with Suzanne Rostler (Houghton Mifflin, 2008).
Debbie/Lexxiss Love the colors you are wearing! Just amazing how much you've been able to lose! Credit for continuing to learn and work on healthy behaviors.

BillBlueEyes Yum for gardens and fresh produce!

Cheryl/GosfordGirl When do your pups come home? Kudos for acknowledging the need for a schedule and exercise.

onebyone Kudos for not overeating at stressful upcoming changes.

maryann We love the library downloads - audiobooks & kindle! Wishing you an awesome trip! Glad to hear your ds is having a great time.

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-19-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #150  
persist

Coaches

Went to the accountant. Credit. Passively did not stop the accountant from taking on the task of getting our taxes done. Credit. I have a few tasks to do but DH has more. We did not talk about accountant but will over the weekend or tomorrow night. He is super resistant and probably very pissed at me but must know this needs to be done. Oh well we are moving forward.

After accountant which was super emotional for me and I was a nervous chatterbox *sigh* I went to my friend's place for a swim. This meant wearing bathing suit in public. I did it and enjoyed her pool. I also had small sampler plate of cookies. Oop.but got right back on track with a light dinner. Credit for that.

DH's mom called and we chatted for a while. It did not drive me to eat.credit.

Gym emailed wondering where I am. Credit this did not drive me to eat.

Tomorrow is gate installation day. Yay! And Saturday we are going river rafting over beginner rapids in either a kayak or a canoe with people from DH's work and then camping overnight.
We were supposed to be in a raft but plans have changed. Have never done this before! Excited and concerned at the same time. Credit for trying new things.

Oh BBE and Lexxiss: yes that is one of my large prints behind me in my avatar.I took this selfie upon completion of my daily print project that I did for my key west residency in 2012. It was completed in April 2013. This shot was also taken in before my brother died. I have way more grey hair now. It is a reminder to me that*I was* getting it together then.I am about 250 in this shot. I am 25lbs heavier now. I am aiming for that 250as represented in the avatar. I can do it. I want to do it again now...

Have a good night!
Closed Thread