Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:34 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday

Coaches

I ate too much at lunch because I left it late and got confused and didn't want to end up like last Monday where I didn't eat enough - anyway it is the last Monday I will have to worry about it so will move on. Only one more teaching day on Wednesday which is all prepared so tomorrow (Tuesday) is a catch up day. I need to get on top of administrivia (and THE project) this week to get ready for next week off/out of the office (not going anywhere just not to work). I have walked my usual 8000 plus steps which makes me think I should up the expectations from 5K to about 7K (on a bad day I just make 6K). I am enjoying that I prepped all my vegetables last night so dinner is all ready to be cooked.

I occasionally get to the point where I think that it is all too difficult to fit a post in - I read your posts at different times throughout the day and then in the evening it is time "to post" and it can be difficult to fit in. And I need to make an attempt at personals or I don't feel engaged. And I know if I don't post I will just drift off as I did in 2010 or 2011 and forget that I was even trying to achieve health goals. So thanks for being here to post to and for posting so I am not speaking to the void

At a lecture today solution focused therapy came up (as opposed to problem focused therapies) and one of the types of questioning that might be used is what is called "Miracle Questions" - Suppose you woke up one morning and by some miracle everything you ever wanted, everything good you could ever imagine for yourself, had actually happened - your life had turned out exactly the way you wanted it. What will you notice around you that let you know that the miracle had happened? What will you see? What will you hear? What will you feel inside yourself? How would you be different? It made me think about this process and that hope is important and a positive outlook. What do I want to be and how can I make it happen using small steps - it may not be the entire miracle but one step at a time I can get somewhere where I feel different "inside myself"

BillBE - Credit for riding your bike - I couldn't imagine risking L&L (life and limb) to do that here - Australian drivers are known to be amongst the most aggressive - and especially to bike riders. LOL at trying to use all the available real estate on a falafel sandwich

Debbie - Credit for managing to squeeze your real job and food planning in amongst all those other competing demands

FutureFitChick - I so love your "name" - what a great goal! Glad you had an even better day that the day before [I still don't know what the multi-quote button does but am now inspired to find out]. Sounds so amazing to be moving to Amsterdam! More information please! Hope you got to bed early and got your work finished in the morning [I do that often as I am sharpest in the early hours of 4 - 6am]

Rosebud - Credit for the whole 5K - what an accomplishment. A goal of lifestyle change that is sustainable seems like a very sound/sane goal indeed. Hope you had a nice evening with your dad

CeeJay - great list of credits - you are back in the zone!

Nationalparker - you seem to be negotiating a difficult situation with grace - huge credit. Eating is a bit of a casualty at the moment but I am sure you will sort it out

Tricia - So hot! I feel for you. I will think of you now in your mesh bug suit . You dinner sounds yum. As you say the weight will eventually follow your OP eating

Onebyone - Glad you are back with us and that you are on top of your creative submissions. Credit for getting to the gym today - difficult to make the gesture. It is so difficult with parents when they get to the point of needing secure facilities - it happened with my dad once he started to wander and couldn't be contained at home. Such a huge transition period and not a pleasant call to receive. The first time my father got into his car with his dog and was found about 250 miles from home walking on the highway with the dog under his arm because he had run out of petrol. [We took his car keys off him soon after]. Hope you get resolution soon. [This post brought tears to my eyes so it is obviously still an emotionally charged issue. Elder care is huge and in the middle of this post I got a call from a friend who is dealing with being the Guardian for her brother which seems fraught indeed so I wish you and your sister well]

love

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-02-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Reaped the benefits of riding my bike, CREDIT moi, on my regular Sunday morning excursion. On the way home I diverted a bit to follow signs to two yard sales, a micro library in the corner of a yard, and a condo open house. Picked up three Stanley hand tools for $1 - a special bargain since I actually need them. (This differs from picking up one more screwdriver for 5 cents just because it's such a bargain only to be put in the stack of such screwdrivers.) Got the No S Diet from the micro library, which is one foot cube box on a post. The condo was the first floor of a three unit building that's been under restoration for two full years. They created appealing units. The Realtor welcomed me even after I told them I owned a home a block away because I have friends who're looking to live in this neighborhood. A negative, that seems to be true of all condos around here, is that basement space is reduced to the size of a large closet. It'd be like living on a boat. Don't know what I'd do without our basement to hold tools, patio furniture over the winter, bicycles, and accumulated junk.

Had unnecessary snacks at community hour - Ouch. I normally have a coffee and skip the snacks, but I got suckered by white fish on unusual crisp bread. That triggered me to then have portions of scones from one of our best bakeries. That's a distance from the usual array of factory cookies and sweets offered. Otherwise on plan, CREDIT moi. DW added toasted coins of the baguette to our dinner of omelets eaten on the patio even though we had to wear long-sleeved shirts against the chill. We took time to savor the joy of our tiny yard where the native plants support enough native bugs to attract a steady stream of birds. Life in the small can be good.

onebyone – Kudos, indeed, for sticking to your plan to return to the gym on June 1st. Interesting to recognize that you are living your life now - but that you can see there's more possible in a healthier body. Supportive thoughts for finding a solution to a good place for your mom.

CeeJay - Nope, it's not wheelchair time because of a bad week after three good ones. It is exactly possible for you to duplicate what Debbie (Lexxiss) has done. It's a terrific start to post here and then to get back on track one strategy at a time. You might choose to re-read the Beck chapter day 20 Get Back on Track to remember how to recover. We're all behind you. Kudos for that fine list of exercise credits for the day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – My brain works better solving electrical problems than plumbing problems. Love seeing your response to a larger lunch by switching to a lower calorie dinner.

silverbirch – Adding Hoot and Flush to my lists. Thanks again to your DB for introducing me to Hiaasen. Beck's Green Book definitely has a different feel since it gets away from marching through the 42 days (which was just what I wanted when I started).

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I've worn the bug head gear in Maine when the flies were otherwise unbearable. I'll take the odd looks anytime. Interesting discussion about Miracle questions. Makes me want to stop and appreciate just what I have at this moment.

FutureFitChick – I am so psyched that you're moving to Amsterdam - I'd love to live there for a spell. Will you have a job there? Kudos for "better than the day before" and Double Kudos for accepting that as good.

nationalparker – Kudos for resignation that you aren't likely to change your mom. (First time I've ever heard of someone liking hospital food.) Good luck, Don Quixote, against that $2500 hospital bill - remember that it has many arms that keep twirling around, LOL.

Rosebud170 – 5000 Kudos for "I ran the whole 5k!!!" This helps me, "it helps to remember that I have felt that way before and the next day feels better."

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for a dishwasher joining the strike with your clothes washer. Kudos for recognizing that OP will lead to weight loss - even if not on your expected schedule.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

Overload Your Plate - and Don't Eat It All
Today, you'll practice not overeating by purposely putting more food on your plate then you plan to eat. Pick one meal, preferably lunch or dinner. Choose a food that's on your plan, but then I want you to purposely give yourself a larger portion than you would normally allow. Also, choose a food that you're not supposed to eat and put it on your plate. At the beginning of the meal, push the extra portions to the side on your plate. Then eat only the food on your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 153.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #18  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday wasn't my most stellar OP day but I didn't eat anything off my OP list of foods for SBD, so I consider it to be "OK". For the record, I had my morning smoothie *credit*, had one sourdough heel w/PB at work, then "dinner" consisted of whole grain bread in a quantity greater than necessary, my daily chocolate and a banana. I acknowledge it was a response to stress (got a call from DH's ex while I was at work) which ticked DH off (it's about his DD's) so he took an early leave (he had already planned to head over to our other place to mow lawns.)

The good news is I have peace and quiet here, something to savor. I have already been up for a 2 hr. mandatory "paint" which keeps my project moving forward, even as I head to the restaurant. Credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GosfordGirl View Post
I occasionally get to the point where I think that it is all too difficult to fit a post in - I read your posts at different times throughout the day and then in the evening it is time "to post" and it can be difficult to fit in. And I need to make an attempt at personals or I don't feel engaged. And I know if I don't post I will just drift off as I did in 2010 or 2011 and forget that I was even trying to achieve health goals. So thanks for being here to post to and for posting so I am not speaking to the void
Cheryl(GosfordGirl), I have to say that with my sleep "disorder" I have many lonely nights as even 3FC is pretty boring in the wee hours. When I "do" get up I check in here and have come to depend on your evening post as a real energizer, as it is the first thing I read every morning here. I sense very strongly, from my own experience, that MY personal choice of checking in every day is the greatest thing I can do for myself AND sometimes my words can help others, as yours help me. I think the universal tendency when we don't post is that we do eventually drift off.....which is why Dr.Beck puts such emphasis on a Diet Coach/Buddy.

CeeJay, you said," I know many of you have been where I am and I thank you for all you share. I was reading posts and looked at Lexxiss's stats in her post this morning and thought about how good it would feel to be there someday. I know it is not impossible, but sometimes it sure feels that way."
I totally agree with BBE response to you, "It is exactly possible for you to duplicate what Debbie (Lexxiss) has done. It's a terrific start to post here and then to get back on track one strategy at a time. You might choose to re-read the Beck chapter day 20 Get Back on Track to remember how to recover. We're all behind you."
I do feel good, even though I have a more progress ahead of me. The health benefits started coming my way many pounds ago. I didn't used to believe I could ever be healthy again. Dr. Beck allows me to point out that sabotaging thought to myself and to formulate a response to keep me moving forward.

CeeJay, onebyone and FutureFitChick, you are all so important to this group. There are several others who are not currently posting that I think of often. I encourage you all and continue to believe with all my heart that "You can do this!" I share that I have been where you've been and have felt how you feel. At my high weight I felt depressed and defeated. My attempts at WL were sporadic. I had to go to two family reunions and was mortified as the cameras clicked and my obesity was recorded into the albums of many (My mom still has one such pic on her refrigerator). My first attempt at "true accountability" came after I had lost much weight on my own, then regained 25# during the winter of 2008-09, which started with a holiday ham at Thanksgiving.....which lead to uncontrolled eating until Christmas.....until NewYears.....until Easter....Then a May trip which had been planned for months came and none of my Summer clothes fit anymore. I (once again) had to go on the trip, endure the camera AND most importantly, finally decide in my heart, (similar to recovery from my alcoholism) that I was ready to take certain steps and was willing to do anything to make this weightloss happen. I ate what I wanted during that trip and found 3FC the day I returned. I knew I needed support and it has always been here.

My weightloss journey became far more manageable and enjoyable when I found 3FC and absolutely committed to posting every day. I did that for several years before I came upon Beck Diet Solution. I took time this morning to read through Day 6 "Find A Diet Coach" because I think it's an essential part of successful dieting. Dr. Beck really stresses that a diet coach can keep you motivated, build your self-confidence, help you solve problems and keep you accountable. When she discusses accountability, she states, "Knowing that you have to report on your progress to someone can motivate you to stick to your plan. THIS IS A CRUCIAL COMPONENT OF THE PROGRAM." (her caps included).
A daily check in helps me in so many ways:
-Make Time for Dieting
-Get Back on Track (immediately)

For me, "Routine" is such an important strategy for success. Posting is a routine, making a food plan is a routine, exercise is a routine, making time for dieting is a routine AND even getting back on track is a routine.

And now, I need to get going and get to work. My one rule (Beck inspired) I do not break is that I do not leave home in the morning without having breakfast, which is my morning smoothie.

I appreciate you all! I could not do this alone. Several years ago I could not have imagined living the stress I deal with daily and sticking with a food plan could go together. BDS gave me confidence that I could, if I made dieting and planning a priority. I'm grateful that the planning skills I have learned are trickling down into other areas of my life. Those life planning skills are helping me to stay "less" stressed and more willing to focus on myself.

Ok, well I could be late for work.....I wish a wonderful day for each and every one of you!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Glad to say yesterday and this morning were OP. I am settling in to the new WW plan. I am happy with the fruits and veggies that are the foundation of the plan. Today I am focusing on grouping all the foods into three meals and one snack only. This is not a requirement of the plan but I think eating as much as I want when I want of "good" foods is not optimum for me. So i am using my Beck skill of watching the clock saying "You get to eat in an hour. You can wait that long."

CeeJay, Onebyone and FutureFitChick: It is very tough walking out of a dark eating phase. I feel like I have been doing some of that myself. For me, right now, I am focusing on one day today. Tomorrow means nothing. Yesterday is over. Dare I say the corniest phrase in the world? This moment is called the "present" because it is a present - a gift of freedom from shame and guilt and composed of nothing but possibilities.

Gosfordgirl: Loved the ideas behind "Miracle Questions. They really made me think.

Lexxiss: i also feel my choice to post is one of the most important tools I have in continuing to find peace with food.

Wish me luck on my last week of school. Looking forward to summer - a great perk of a teaching career.

Last edited by maryann; 06-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Struggling a bit today. Dad is having a very down day. He couldn't tell me why, but then said he's sad that he'll be losing me in a few days. I feel very guilty about that because even though I know I'll miss being here, i was missing DH and the pet crew. I wish I didn't have a job that I had to do/take time off from, but I am thankful for that, too.

Will take Dad up to see Mom this evening, nephew will run into hardware store because some LOUSE stole my dad's flag. Yes, right off the flagpole. I picked up a new flag and the complete IRONY is my mom was on me repeatedly last visit for me to stop and buy a spare flag after I put a new flag on the pole - ha ha. This has been a day of bizarre things - another patient left with my mom's wheelchair from dialysis, as well. Brother squared that away. Sister called mom last night and accused her of avoidance and so mom was sick three times last night. She was in tears this morning. Such an unsettled day.

GosfordGirl - I, too, liked the Miracle Questions - thank you for posting that. I think I'll work on being more appreciative of what I do have and enjoy in my life. I know a while back I learned to give thanks to everyone who brought me something - say I had a relaxing cup of tea, then thank the tea growers, those who picked it, shipped it, brought it here, delivered it to the stores, stocked the shelves, and sold it - the whole "chain of command" of a product, if you will. Easier when it's from a farmer's market But then thanking for the fertile ground, etc. - it just grounded me a bit more.

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-02-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #21  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up good day good day

Coaches

woke up at 7, out the door at 7:15, drink a protein thing before I walk into the gym, treadmill for 30minutes, work hard on it, discover my shoes are just a bit too short<!!!!> on the left foot so the tips of my toes are sore <geez louise> end workut at 8, go have luxurious shower, go home, arrive back by 8:30, DH still sleeping! The receptionist said "see you tomorrow". And I will 20 or 30 minutes is the goal.

And since I managed to complete this task first off the rest of the day went however it went and all was well.

Food is not my primary focus this month but it's not awful, could be better, but isn't awful. All is well.... even though a reminder popped up about another deadline for Friday! Oh well...

Gosfordgirl
Cont me as another person appreciative of your description if imagining the miracle has happened Powerful stuff! Usefull in many many areas of life. Thanks.

Lexxiss So grateful for your detailed thoughtful helpful supportive post aimed at me Futurefitchick and Ceejay. Thank you. I so relate and so glad you also post here regularly. Thanks again it means a lot.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

So excited to report that I was on plan today. Did everything I told myself I would do. So happy about that. I have a plan for tomorrow and am determined to do one more day. I had a great relief when I got on the scale this morning. Somehow the 8 pound loss was maintained. Thankful and rather suprised about that.

nationalparker- sending you positive thoughts for the best for you and your family. Thanks for taking time to encourage us when you have so much on your plate.

FutureFitChick- thanks for the yippee!! Same back at you.

AZtricia- good for you to know for sure that you will see a loss soon if you stay on plan. We are bombarded with mosquitoes right now so I share your pain.

onebyone- we are in this together and we are both going to succeed. We need to believe that. We both know that our planning and weightloss efforts have to come first. Not work or anything else. So happy for you that today was a good one.

GosfordGirl- major kuddos for your 8000 steps. Thank you for your comments about the importance of posting- I need to make it a priority because I have drifted away many times.

BillBlueEyes- read your message for me first thing this morning and it made my day. Thanks for the support and I am going to read Get Back on Track tonight before bed.

Lexxiss- your advice about the importance of posting is right on the money. My pattern has been that as soon as I "mess up" I stop posting. Then I feel embarrassed and stop posting for awhile. I start feeling I have no right to be any sort of coach and am just bringing people down who are working very hard at achieving their goals. I know posting keeps me on track and gets me back on track when things don't go well.

It helps enormously to hear from people who have lost a great deal of weight- what helped and all the good things weightloss brings. Thanks for the very telling phrase "was willing to do anything to make this weightloss happen."

maryann- hurray for an OP day.

Have a good day tomorrow everyone!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #23  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hurray, our washer was delivered early. Four loads cleaned and bunches more left for tomorrow! Roast in the crockpot became shredded beef buritos after swim team. Off to the orthodontist in the morning for a post-treatment evaluation for oldest and a quick check for youngest who will likely need braces in his teens. Middle son lucked out and has straight teeth. Walking the dog then going to bed finally. Kiddos have been needy and late tonight and dh and I are tired! Good-night all,

onebyone Glad everything turned out OK with your mom. Hope you can find the right place for her. Kudos for gym time and planning to go tomorrow also.

nationalparker Our first home did not have a dishwasher and we put one in right away! I don't love laundry, but don't hate it. My favorite chore is probably cooking. So sorry it was a tough day. Hope your dad had a good visit.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Hurray for one last teaching day already prepped and for veggies all ready for dinner. Thanks for sharing about the therapy lecture.

BillBlueEyes We <3 libraries. Middle ds wanted to reserve books, but his card had expired, so he completely filled my card AND dh's card with books he wants to read this summer! Your dinner viewing nature sounds awesome!

Lexxiss/Debbie I so appreciated your post today. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and your journey! Wishing you an awesome day also. I especially liked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
For me, "Routine" is such an important strategy for success. Posting is a routine, making a food plan is a routine, exercise is a routine, making time for dieting is a routine AND even getting back on track is a routine.
maryann Hurray for a plan that works for you. Meals sounds wise.

CeeJay
Kudos for OP today. Happy for you that the 8 lbs stayed lost!

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-03-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday night

Coaches

Not a bad day - had a plan and so far have eaten to plan. Have walked my steps and decided to go to gym tomorrow night and not tonight because a meeting went late. It has been fantastic to see all the activity, inspiration and positive thinking on the discussion board. Sometimes I feel so connected to this group and other times like a total loner - not sure what makes the difference but at the moment it sure is connected.

I have decided I need to read a little more of Beck than the daily postings by BillBE. I have a kindle version because I have stored the hard copy somewhere. On a plane to Jakarta I was having a hot chocolate and managed to tip the entire cup into my kindle. It didn't die immediately but sputtered and randomly generated pages for a while before I gave up on it and decide to "wash it" under a tap to get rid of the sticky chocolate. Of course it gave up entirely at that point and I bought a new one. Sometime later, I am not sure why, I tested it before I threw it out. It works perfectly now and I have decided to keep it exclusively for my BDS bedside book for my daily inspiration

BillBE - I really like the idea that "Life in the small can be good." - that is my future. Scones are a trap and should be banned from all public events I think - way too good and seductive.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - great post - generous and sharing of successful strategies. I like the hopefullness that any of us can actually do this and as Bill says it is "exactly possible". Hope you weren't late for work because of it

Maryann - Credit for OP - glad you are feeling comfortable with the new WW plan. Credit for thinking about a pattern of eating that suits your needs. Yay for the last week of school. Mine is the last week of lectures but no summer holiday to look forward to. [Do teachers get paid for the summer holidays in the US?]

Nationalparker - I love the gratitude practices and you are right - they are so grounding and real. It is good to stop and think about all the people involved in the production of what we take for granted. I like the miracle questions because they open up possibilities rather than closing down dialogues with clients/people. Hope your mum settles and you can detach yourself to go home soon

Onebyone - Huge credit for going to gym! And planning to do the same tomorrow. Credit for settling on a goal that works for you at the moment. I hope the miracle questions lead you somewhere helpful

CeeJay - fabulous that your weight stayed down - I am happy for you. Credit for an on plan day and for keeping to your plan and goals for the day - so satisfying. One more day, a day at a time. I will be looking for you tomorrow to keep us all going.

Tricia - what a relief that your washer arrived! The relief is palpable - I feel it all the way over here . I was a serious swimmer from age 8 to 15 so totally get the need for lots of calories for breakfast and dinner. I used to swim 3 miles in the morning and 2 in the evening and looked like an advertisement for famine even though I ate like a horse. I imagine keeping food up to your kids would be challenging. My mother only had to deal with one but you seem to have a host of them

Have a good day coaches
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to include a hair cut by a neat Vietnamese stylist who chides me for going so long between visits then does a stellar job. Best part is that she asks no questions. "OK, not too long, not too short," and off she goes. Seemed prudent since we have a wedding to attend this weekend where pictures will be taken that their family will keep forever. Blows my mind that DW already knows what she's going to wear. I assume I'll wear something in my closet. Vive la différence.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including dinner of white beans with sage on the patio wearing short sleeved knit shirts; felt like the first day of summer. Birds were in abundance. There are two healthy American Elms in sight and, sadly, one large one slowly dying. They've had a rough time around here. I had urges to get into DW's nut mix but remembered that I'm not doing high calorie snacks right now. I even walked into the pantry to browse the dried fruits but thought about their dense calories and remembered that one handful only makes me want another. And another. Eating when I'm not hungry doesn't make it go away.

onebyone – Kudos for morning gym. And another Kudos for being able to leave at 7:15 after waking at 7:00 - you could be a fireman in your next life.

CeeJay - Kudos, indeed, for "Did everything I told myself I would do" - days don't get better than that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "peace and quiet here, something to savor" - sorry that it came at a cost in peace to your DH. Really appreciate your valuing "Routine." I so get it that everything I can move into my brushing-teeth category just gets done every day.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Love the notion of a kindle devoted to one book - especially a kindle that survived a cup of Jakarta hot chocolate. Can't be a better day than "had a plan and so far have eaten to plan" - Kudos.

maryann - Wishing you luck during your last week of school - with all those kids just dying to get out. Tis the season to enjoy fruits and veggies.

nationalparker – Ouch for the pain of not being able to be in two places at the same time. You've been serious help to both your mom and dad during your visit - leave with pride for what's you've done. Extra supportive thoughts for your final days there.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for a new washer; Double Yay for having enough socks for the boys to get them through. [LOL at your DS filling out two library cards with summer reading. It's a happy moment when I spot a kid walking out of the library with an armload of books and a big grin - made poignant when right behind him in line will be a kid with an armload of Disney DVD's.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

Overload Your Plate - and Don't Eat It All

If you're tempted to eat the extra food, use some of the anti-craving techniques you learned on Day 13 [Overcome Cravings]. If you find that you still want to eat what's left on your plate, counter your sabotaging thoughts. For example, if you think, It's a shame that I can't eat this . . . It's bad to waste food, then tell yourself, Isn't it great that I'm not eating this . . . This is getting me closer to my goal of losing weight . . . This is helping me to strengthen my resistance muscle.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 153.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #26  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good food day. Credit. It was super busy at work which leads me to believe the tourist season has really started here. The river is high and there are rafters everywhere. I haven't gotten on the scale yet, but I assume it will be in my normal range since it just usually "is". For me, weighing everyday is routine and it feels great since I can still remember "back in the day" when I ate when I wanted, never weighed then would (for some odd reason) and would be a bit baffled that I'd gained 10 more pounds. It's why the daily skills of BDS work so great for me. It has taught me to take care of my food/weight every single day. Credit. It took some time but this truly does feel better.

BBE, great kudos for staying out of several different pantry snacks! I always love your stories, too. Yes, Vive la difference!

Cheryl(Gosford Girl), sometimes when my life goes from busy to super insane (like with your project) I feel less connected. Perhaps for me, it's just a visible manifestation of my weariness. I don't know either, yet I know I want to stay on that path and the only way for me is to continue to post even when I don't feel "connected". Funny about your kindle, but a great new use for it!

AZtricia, yay for a washing machine! Your cooking always sounds so awesome! I'm glad you enjoy it! Your healthy food plans are definitely a long term success strategy! They will take you to your goal!

onebyone, super credit for getting out to the gym early! It's such a strategy for success to "just do it", and cross it off the list for the day. Those 20-30 minutes really do add up! How far is it to your gym?

CeeJay, credit for getting on the scale and having a surprisingly good number! It is a success to maintain a previous loss now you can move down another increment and maintain that. I encourage you to form a new habit/routine of posting every day….regardless. If you read the fine print (lol) regarding a diet coach (even an online one) the act of sharing (even a setback) is a strategy for success. Our collective struggles/successes are why we are all here and why this program works.

nationalparker, hope today has some brighter (and less bizarre) moments. I can't believe someone took the flag. Duh!

MaryAnn, glad to hear your settling in with your new plan. Nice that you are arranging it to fit your own lifestyle. Good luck on your last week of school!

I was almost late to work yesterday. I had a moment where I thought "I'll just eat at work", then came to my reality that smoothie is my breakfast AND I just said I never leave home without breakfast…..so I dashed down and chucked my fruits/veggies in the vitamix and put it in a sealed jar to drink at work. Got outside and the old toyota wasn't where I usually parked it….moment of panic…..remembered I parked it on the other side of the street…...it didn't want to start and when it finally did it was so loud the dog didn't want to get in. Fortunately, it's ok to be a little late and my smoothie was extra tasty, for whatever reason.
My Beck success skills remind me that it is easier to plan ahead than to rely on spontaneous success. I will dress, make smoothie, feed the pup and pack his lunch, pay water bill.... then I will sit on the porch with coffee and watch hummingbirds. LOL.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #27  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Good Morning

Coaches

Thanks for the upliftingreads this morning.

I'm home as I slept in too late to get to the gym and back before DH has to get to work and my working day begins. I have an alternate time frame that worked for me when the gym became a routine for the month of November last year and that is do the gym right before I pick him up. That's around 4pm. It's also a slower time at the gym and I am rarely busy at that time of day and never do I feel like moving around at that time of day. So that will be my plan for the gym today. *credit* for plans.

I haven't picked the green Beck book up again but I will. I will continue from where I was, with the hunger exercises. I will need to plan for them that's for sure and there seem to be many of them in the green book. I guess "hunger" in all its forms IS a big deal when it comes to eating and food...LOL. How's that for stating the obvious?

I had a pop up notice for another deadline this coming, translation: the envelope with the application in it has to be at their address on Friday. I'll start work on it today and hopefully complete it tomorrow, rush to the post office and have it in the mail tomorrow night. It's for a 10 month mentoring opportunity in The Big City just south of me. I am a long shot as it's through the provincial clay and glass association and I have been on and off with clay but I can feel there is something there in the fusion of all my artistic practices. Maybe this is where I can get help seeing it come to fruition? Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I am applying.

Wow better go. Time to get it in gear. Have a great day coaches. I'll check in again.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Just waving to let you know I'm here and reading. Great post, Lexxiss, BTW. There is much chaos in my life at the moment and no routine. Think international move with children. I bought a house I haven't seen. Sold a car. Bought a car. Found schools and after-care program and day care and summer camps in a new city. Wrapping up my old job. Shipping a household. Packing for the short - term future. I've been busy and I want some routine back, thanks. I ran 5 k today because it was important to do so. Thanks for listening and posting.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Hi Coaches-

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm trying to stay on my diet plan and realized I need to retrain my thinking and get more support. I read the pink Beck book in 2010 after seeing this group. I realize I have to reread the book and go through the steps again due to recent life changes.

I too had 2 parents with lots of needs. Both had Alzheimer's. DM also had diabetes, Parkinson's and then last year, breast cancer. The chemo nearly killed her, then a mastectomy. To make a long story short, she died on May 12. And my dad keeps forgetting that. They were both in Assisted Living with Memory Help though my mom was in the hospital and then nursing care for the last month. My dad is still in assisted living though I don't know for how much longer. He is 87, very skinny and getting too weak to walk very far. At some point they will want to move him to the nursing care section of his retirement community.

I need to reread Beck, to relearn how to comfort myself without food. I apologize for making this so long. Some things are just harder to make short. I thought about waiting until tomorrow to post when I could figure out how to be more succinct but then decided it was more important to just get started.

I hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #30  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Oldest needed a minor adjustment to tighten his retainer. Youngest is growing into his teeth and his overall alignment is much better than last year, so he's cleared to come back in 2 years instead of only one. The scale decided to cooperate this morning and a pound is gone, but I'll move the ticker if it is still absent tomorrow. Still working on the laundry piles. Fun wildlife from last night's walk: banded gecko

Other funny night-life we'll have once the rains begin are frogs that baaa like sheep and toads that make a "jack-hammer" sound.

Packing leftover grilled chicken for dinner and heading to a friend's house tonight, the boys (inclucing dh!) all wanted pizza. OP today.

deelee10

flnu Good to see you! Hope your chaos abates soon.

onebyone Kudos for gym time today and going back over the Beck book. I need to do that this summer too.

Lexxiss/Debbie
Kudos for a good day. I think weighing daily will be a life skill for me too in maintenance as well as during losing. Thanks for sharing.

BillBlueEyes You stylist sounds awesome. Hope you are able to be OP over the weekend and enjoy the social time. Kudos for resisting the dense calories and sharing your day.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Awesome idea for your old kindle. I didn't know that Beck was available for kindle, I'll have to hunt it down as I need to re-read this summer. Wow you were a serious swimmer! My boys mainly are in it for the exercise, something you can do here year round w/o heat stroke! Oldest would love the serious competition and has the build/mindset for it but doesn't have that as a priority right now. They do eat a TON.

Missed posting Beck FB Monday Motivation: Since there’s probably never a “good” time to start dieting, why not just start today? Think about how much better you’ll feel next Monday morning if you have a whole week of healthy eating and feeling good about yourself under your belt!

And for today on Beck FB Tuesday Reality Check: What we THINK will lead to a great day is eating whatever we want, in whatever quantity we want, but when we do the opposite - limit our eating and stay on track - that's truly what feels so great.

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-03-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Closed Thread