3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/295398-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-may-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

AZtricia 05-30-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes (Post 5013323)
Diet Coaches/Buddies – ...
Tricia (AZtricia) - Many Kudos for planning in advance how to handle "all you can eat free popcorn." google cracks me up with its version of musical about the 60's set on a beach

LOL, except for the dead dolphin those were just about right: Gaslight Theater

The show was, as expected, goofy and fun. The students had a great time though they missed so much by not being familiar with most of the songs and references to the era.

FutureFitChick 05-30-2014 03:07 PM

Hi, Coaches.

Well, I managed to use food for the last 3 months or so to cope with stress (that I chose to have in my life, nonetheless). I have taken a giant step backwards. I need to post to have some accountability, so I am jumping in.

I am saying "Oh, well!" and moving on with it. I will probably have to say it to myself 800 times an hour though. I'm feeling pretty down about that and what triggered the stress in the first place. I am trying to have faith I can work through it all, but at times it feels like too much and I get stuck.

Thanks!

Credits: I put my husband's junk food out of sight.
I am posting here.
I am tracking my food and moving forward.

6crowsgold 05-30-2014 03:23 PM

Still OP today.

Some odd news after a frustrating afternoon at the Dr's office, then to the hospital. Our house had been destroyed by a tree last October and all the fuzzy, linty, nasty roof insulation showered down on us for weeks--we had to stay in the basement during the months of repairs.

Turns out I was infected with Histoplasmosis and have a fungal infection [and scarring] in my lungs. More diagnostics to follow, more steroids, nebulizers on the planner. Still trying to work full time and take care of our 7 yr old. Wearing a bit thin...

But, I'm holding the line on the scale so far, we'll see what tomorrow's weigh-in brings.

nationalparker 05-30-2014 10:11 PM

Thankful, in a way, to see this week wrap up a bit and head into the weekend. Have office work to tackle both days. A friend of my dad's is heading by to visit tomorrow morning. I know he's looking forward to that. Took him up to the rehab clinic to visit mom, even though I knew it'd wipe him out. It did. Then he didn't want any dinner. Thankfully, pizza is always a lure :) even frozen. But blast it, I scorched the first one and tossed it out and started again. Their oven is modern, but harder to work than a woodstove. Dad turned down the bath from the home health care worker but then asked me to help him bathe/wash him down this evening - a whole three hours later. He's just not comfortable and I'm fine with that ... but my brother is frustrated by it. He keeps saying, wouldn't you want someone else, not your daughter, to be doing that? I keep replying that there is nothing wrong with bathing a parent - it's a basic need. He agrees, but ...

6CrowsGold - I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis! You have a lot on your plate right now - hang in there and hopefully you can get some relaxing in on the weekend. Good luck with the next steps with that.

Bill - Major kudos for the healthy dinner out selection! You have me wanting bbq and all I ever get is smoked turkey :) Thanks for the book suggestion, too. I have never read Eat, Pray, Love despite my cousin's solid urging me to do so. I think Julia Roberts in the movie (which I've not seen) kinda ruined the image of it for me. Perhaps had it been Isabella Rossellini...?? A few years ago ... ??? :) Someone I consider more serene. Picky, aren't I?

Good to see you back here, FutureFitChick! Don't beat yourself up - just dust yourself off and get back on! :)

Lexxiss - I get weary following your schedule. I feel so lazy!! I stripped out caulk when I was home and then never got it redone in one bathroom ... I'm not handy but that used to be my specialty at Habitat for Humanity. The caulk gal.
Too funny, Maryann - I had checked out the kindle book of Major Pettigrew and only got a few pages read before life took off again, and I need to recheck it out. Have you read Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English? That one sounded good to me but my library doesn't stock it yet.

AZTricia - Look at how close you are to 199/200 - you are chugging right along and making great progress. How different is this summer going to be for you from last?

AZtricia 05-31-2014 12:08 AM

OP day. Walked pup @ 6:30am to avoid the heat. Had a nice relaxing evening since dh took kiddos to swim team and left a quiet house. :D Four more days to a new washer delivery (hopefully!).

Tomorrow I'll be out collecting groceries then oldest ds's camp ends with a musical production and gallery of all their art projects. He is SO wound up and excited.

nationalparker Thanks for the encouragement. My original thought for a goal was "under 200" and I will be excited to be there as it has been well over 10 years since I've seen #'s like that. Now that I'm close it is a bit disappointing how heavy I still am. I'm glad that the pizza temped your dad and he was able to manage a visit out. Wishing you a productive weekend.

6crowsgold Yikes! That is horrible. Did you have bats in your attic?

FutureFitChick Welcome back!

maryann Wow, I'm not sure I could handle camps every week! I'm hoping it will slow down here for a while. Just swim, school work, and youngest's therapy for the next couple months.

Lexxiss/Debbie Hurray for maintenance and dinner outside. It is mostly dry here, hot about half the time but during June/July it can be humid from the monsoons even if it doesn't rain.

BillBlueEyes
Kudos for a healthy dinner selection that you enjoyed enough to want to repeat. Awesome for the choice of yogurt vs icecream.

GosfordGirl 05-31-2014 05:32 AM

Saturday evening

Coaches

I just finished (until it comes back for the next iteration) a work project that has almost made me lose the will to live - honestly. It made my brain hurt to work out what needed to be done and how to do it. However there are only so many more iterations it can go through because it has to be finished. I won't get it back for about 5 days so a reprieve for a while

Not sure I had a plan or that I stuck to it. In survival mode really. Didn't eat until 1 pm and haven't really eaten a lot. I made a soup today which meant I was forced to stand to my feet occasionally and tend it. The soup is in fact yummy and will be dinner (ham hock and green split pea - even though green split peas or lentils are supposedly off the paleo menu).

I will make gym tomorrow hopefully as I have finished this project for the moment and don't have a lecture to write tomorrow - so no excuses. I will also make a plan for the week's food tomorrow - promise. Next week is the last week of semester! Yay - and then I have a week off before I need to put together results and I will not think about work at all

BillBE - Ouch for the unexpected - I am not good with surprises and need to work on a range of appropriate responses. I do like BBQ ribs but what we get here is rubbish - you did well to turn it up. Credit for falafel - I do like good Lebanese. Credit for picking a better option for dessert

Maryann - hope you are feeling less harried as the weekend hits. Good thoughts for dealing with slow weight loss, mood swings and hormone balance - seems like you are putting in the work and hope it pays off

Tricia - glad you have a plan for the mozzies on your walk route - they are a nuisance. Here it is flies but mozzies are bad. I looked nuts walking the dogs where I used to live because I would wear netting over my head to keep the flies away. When I go into normal mode I will have to look up your part of the states. We get a lot of mozzies at certain times of the year - no avoiding it. LOL at Annette Funicello and... can't remember his name. Unfortunately I do very much remember these "goofy" times. Fun indeed and I liked your comments

Nationalparker - Yay for food being good given your extreme circumstances. What is your mum in rehab for at the moment? Glad there is some form of food to bribe your dad with even if it is pizza. Can't think of any brainless novels ATM sorry - I haven't had time to indulge in any novels for a while so hope you find something with all the suggestions. Would be good if you encouraged your dad to use the health care worker to help him shower because then it is done - one less chore. But it is good you are both comfortable with it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - glad all your work on the yard has shown benefits - that is always nice. Glad you got to have a meal outside - hope it was good. Hope you got some rest

FutureFitChick - great to see you here! And hope to see more of you - I have missed you

6crowsgold - Sorry for your diagnosis - hope it resolves and you get on top of what you need to do. Steroids definitely don't help with weight loss in the short term

BillBlueEyes 05-31-2014 06:34 AM

Saturday - World No Tobacco Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise included first time back at folk dancing in a month, CREDIT moi. Watching some athletic high school kids dancing made me dream of having back a body that just wants to move. Now I need to get gym back into my life. My muscles atrophy after missing only a few weeks of exercise. Also walked to Whole Foods to get my favorite peanut butter that they've not had in stock for weeks. I did take a FREE sample of Mahi-Mahi grilled with Cajun spices. Not really rare and unusual, but I counted it as afternoon snack so I'm good.

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, required me to ignore a table with 20 different items last night. I bothered to count since I was struck by the sheer volume. The high school kids, green bean thin, ate without stopping.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for the joy of a good looking yard to savor while having dinner. Good luck with your personal rental project. With your schedule I'm not surprised that you drop out at 6:30 on occasion.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for making it through a project tough enough to make your brain hurt. I love split pea soup with ham hock. Glad that you can see daylight in your schedule.

FutureFitChick – Kudos for "saying 'Oh, well!' and moving on with it." I share your faith that you can work through it all and be yourself. And Super Kudos for posting here after a spell along with taking steps to get back on track. Glad you're here.

maryann - Kudos for accepting your own body as a basis for moving forward. Good luck exploring Bingo.

nationalparker – Yay for pizza's ability to override your dad's lack of hunger. Ouch that it does the same for so many of us. Continue to beam supportive thoughts. I absolutely adored the young adult book, Chomp by Carl Hiassen that Silverbirch recommended when her DB was reading it. It's set in Florida and is such a joyful read that you may find yourself reading it to your dad. [I couldn't read Eat, Pray, Love after I heard it summarized as "what I did last summer." LOL at being picky about Julia Roberts. I also have strong feeling about her - just reversed, LOL.]

Tricia (AZtricia) - Staggering to think of the growing mound of clothing as you await your new washer. Our new washer last year was our first without an agitator inside - so a much bigger load was possible.

6crowsgold - Ouch for the tree that felled your house with the awful consequences in your lungs. Kudos for "holding the line on the scale" and moving forward.

Readers -
Quote:

day 17 End Overeating

There are two circumstances you might face while dieting that qualify as overeating: . . .
  • If you feel full partway through your meal but continue to finish it anyway, leading to a feeling of overfulness.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 153.

flnu 05-31-2014 11:03 AM

Hi all,

Friday weigh in (reported a day late) is down 1.5 to 160. But behaviors were way more lets say 'mixed' than I am shooting for. Ok, healthier choice this week.

Quick shout out to future fit chick. I was thinking about you and then here you are. Yay!

Best, flnu

FutureFitChick 05-31-2014 11:27 AM

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I'm hanging in there. I did better yesterday afternoon and hung in there until bedtime, when I ate some off-plan foods with a "tomorrow will be a clean slate" attitude. I know better. I am reading a book called The Willpower Instinct by McGonigal. (I highly recommend it if you are interested.) She suggests that we think about what would happen if we repeatedly made a *one-time* choice we are considering. (For example, if we ate a cookie one night and we justified it to ourselves, what would be the impact if we ate a cookie every night.) When I look at my off plan eating in that respect, it really helps me to connect how *one* choice can really be detrimental in the long run.

I'm saying "Oh well" again and moving on, but keeping the long-term in mind this time.

Breakfast foods were on plan. Today will just be writing, a haircut, and perhaps a short walk with foster dog.

6crowsgold, sorry to hear about the lung issues. I recently was found to have a "spot" on my lung, which is also probably histoplasmosis. So far, I haven't had any real affects from it that I am aware of and it appears to be pretty stable (not growing). Hang in there.

Nationalparker, thanks for the encouragement. I am really happy for you to read you are getting the opportunity to continue to care for your dad and that he is still hanging in there. I am sending you comforting prayers and thoughts!

AZTricia, hope the musical performance was fun for all!

GosfordGirl, thanks for the nice welcome back! Those exhausting work projects feel so good to get rid of and then to reflect on that YOU DID IT! I hope the gym felt like an excellent change of pace!

BillBlueEyes, thanks for the encouragement and always being here! Your constancy on this board is comforting. Your comment about the high school kids eating the 20 different dishes made me laugh. Do you have a specific definition (quantity) for rare?

Flnu, thanks! Your thoughts must have drawn me back to posting! ;) Hope today's behaviors are more in line with your expectations.

Rosebud170 05-31-2014 12:30 PM

Happy Saturday Becksters! The sun is shining here in the NW...ahhhh... Fitness is still going well. Lots of Zumba, P90x3 and a couch to 5k. Tomorrow is the first 5k that I am going to run. I have been so worried that the running would be too much for my joints. It has not been a problem so far. I plan to run and only walk if it feels like I am getting injured...not just tired. It is supposed to be another beautiful day and hopefully a fun event. Eating is on plan and then I have been getting the munchies at night and indulging. :( I haven't been doing snacking like I used to binge/snack but still unplanned eating and it does not feel good. Going to my response cards now for that!!

AZtricia 05-31-2014 06:43 PM

In all out "conquer-dyslexia' mode with youngest, which means daily exercises at home. Thankfully they take under 15 minutes for now. Ribs are in the crock-pot for dinner then we are off to the musical production for ds. I managed to briefly fill the refrigerator and I'm boiling eggs and baking bread to have the basics of quick meals and snacks. Hoping for a nice quiet week next week!!

Rosebud170 Just reading your fitness list makes me tired! You are amazing! I hope as I get down lower that exercise will be less a challenge. Hope you are able to make it w/o a munchie attack tonight. Have you read Diet Fix? He believes that the snack attacks at night actually stem from behavior earlier in the day. Either waiting too long before having breakfast, not eating enough protein with meals/snacks, or going too long between meals/snacks. It was an interesting book.

FutureFitChick Kudos for better than yesterday and wishing you an OP day today.

flnu :dust: for a healthy and OP week.

BillBlueEyes Kudos for fun exercise and hurray for feeling good enough to dance.

GosfordGirl/Cheryl
Hurray for a break from the horrid work project. I'd walk with a net on!! Have to look into that and see if there is something full body. Hope you made it to the gym and were able to make your plan. UPDATE: found it...I want one! Bug Pants with the jacket too and I could walk wherever I wanted!

nationalparker 05-31-2014 08:28 PM

A good day here, pain seems to be abating a bit for my dad, the further we are from the chemo. Brother mentioned that the dr. called to see about the appt. next week and the look of trepidation, followed by pure relief when my brother told him that we were going to put that off for now, tells me that he really wants to stop the chemo, but just doesn't want to "quit" his family. Needs time to resolve this. What a helluva decision to have to make. As a former military guy (are they ever "former"?) to quit means to surrender instead of to accept.

Brother came over to "spell me" today so I could run two errands - marketing and also to pick up some treats at a chocolatier here that specializes in chocolate covered popcorn. Inlaws love it and they've cared for our dog on each of DH's shifts this time, so will bring that back as part of a thank you. Confessing that I also bought one with white choc for me and one with milk for DH ... they tend to last me a month and him about three days, so I'll be storing it at home. A few pieces when I think about it seems to do the trick for me. That will not get me to my goals, though - that I know. I allowed myself the white chocolate one since it's new - WHY? It's just a fancy junk food. A fancy and expensive junk food.

DH booked a long weekend for us the weekend following my return - home for a week and then take off to the beach. I think it will be a wonderful getaway for us. I am looking forward to relaxing with him, spending good time without chores and errands and life encroaching for a little bit. Sent him a mushy card and he got it and was very appreciative. I know I've not said it enough to him how thankful I am for him in my life, and should do a better job at that. We all need to hear that, and share it, I think. Friends, spouses, those we truly care about. I wrote him an email the other day with thoughts of how I miss him while we're apart and he wrote back along the lines of WOW what a great email, etc. That made me realize he should hear it more often and that I've been lax.

Food was not great today - not terrible but not great. I had a too small lunch and then later ate 150 calories of candy. Then the sample of the popcorn put me over the top a good deal, I'm sure. I just don't want to return home much heavier than when I left. I liked coming home a few pounds lighter last trip. EDITED - added in a piece of my biscotti that I debated about and then decided, "I'll make fresh when Dad can eat it, so I'll eat this old one."

Okay, Bill - the opening of Chomp hooked me and I've checked it out :) I will suggest to DH as well ... Thank you. When I read something that I enjoy, I wish I were a writer, but then wonder if I just want the paychecks without going into an office, the ability to work wherever I want during the winter (log cabin in the Rockies, with a woodpile as high as the roof, natch), and do I actually have anything to write!

FutureFitChick - Thanks for the tip on the book. I will check it out - sometimes just reading something on weight control/healthy eating focuses my mind on choices i know I need to make regardless, even if they're not part of the text. I found a book called, Love, Laugh and Eat, which I've checked out and will see what that's all about. What is it with book titles now - they're either super duper long (like, Air, or what we need everyday to breathe and what big business is doing to take it away) ... or A, B and C. I digress. Thank you for the suggestion.

GosfordGirl - YAY for the completed major work project. What a feeling of relief that must be. Enjoy the reprieve and major credits for getting right back into your activity at the gym. How cold will your winter typically get there? Does it stay sunny or get dreary gray?

GosfordGirl 06-01-2014 05:01 AM

1st June the other side of the world

Dear Coaches

Well I have already had about 3 emails today about "the project" - the gift that keeps on giving. It will escalate over the next week I am sure and had better be sorted before I go on my week off :nono:.

I went to gym today so credit and the last few days only made about 7K steps

BillBE - Good that you are back at dancing and exercise. I know what you mean about it being hard to crank the body back up after a break - tough indeed. I would probably do several rounds of the store for free Mahi-Mahi with Cajun spices. Chomp looks great - might be my holiday book

Flnu - Yay for a great drop in weight - so close to goal so hope you are thinking of a great reward

FutureFitChick - Credit for hanging in and doing better than the day before. I tried to get a kindle version of the Willpower Instinct and it isn't available (or hardcopy in shops or library or university library!)! But it looks good. Where was I reading a paper that one only has a finite amount of willpower and it needs to be thoughtfully spent and not squandered - sounds like McGonigal would agree. Hope the hair got cut and the foster pup got walked

Rosebud170 - someone else said it - I get tired looking at all your exercise. You are amazing. Hope the munchies stay in check and the A&R cards do their magic

Tricia - you in "conquer-dyslexia" mode would probably be formidable indeed. You make me think I should have spent more time over the weekend getting food organised but I didn't and I have one more week to survive and I imagine / hope that life will become more ordered. During this post I leapt up and went and sorted out the veggie drawer and prepped veggies for the week - so I am organised!

Nationalparker - lovely to read about your relationship with your husband and how absence is working its magic. I hope your dad comes to a place where he doesn't feel it is either keep going or surrender. You understand the options so well that you will help him get there. Credit for thinking of getting back on plan in these circumstances

BillBlueEyes 06-01-2014 06:08 AM

Discussion continues on the June 2014 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.