3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/294330-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-april-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

nationalparker 04-04-2014 10:29 AM

Okay - this will be the last day (this month - my goal) of me coming here and saying I didn't make such great choices the previous day. However, I did make saving choices in the evening. With tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on the menu for the stormy night, I picked up a baguette of warm french bread at the market and decided we'd have the small sandwiches - thinly sliced and doable/enjoyable for something different. I then whipped off a hunk on the end, sliced it and put a slice of hot pepper american cheese in there for a 250 calorie meal BEFORE DINNER. Credit in that I just had one mini sandwich AT dinner and soup in a small bowl and less, so I didn't have as much as I could have, but I'm sabotaging myself daily here. Goal for tonight: Get home, feed pets, make cup of hot tea, and haul out my Beck book, blow the dust off the top, and let it open to a place that hopefully will help me. And then I need to help myself. I'm tired of feeling like a failure for battling these same pounds day in/week out/month in/year out. Sometimes I wonder if it'd be just easier to stop battling and let things go - but then I know I'd be up, up, up.

A rainy, dreary day here today. Weekend is full of chores/errand plans and early Easter dinner with DH's folks. DH is working tomorrow all day, as well.

AZtricia 04-04-2014 11:17 AM

Just a quick "Hello Coaches" before a crazy day. I'll try to check in later, but I did re-set Diet Power and the calorie budget fell to 1500, which is reasonable but a couple hundred under where it has been recommending. The program is a bit like a non-portable fit bit where you enter your food and exercise and it gives a calorie budget for each day.
On day 10 OP with no response from my unfriendly scale, hopefully the lower calories will help! Actually with the re-set, I should start recounting my days...so day 1 :dizzy:
I'll try to do personals later, but for now I'm off to shop for groceries, prep for a b-day party for ds tomorrow, straighten/clean for guests, then kiddos have student council, service project, & swim, then oldest is in a band at tonight's talent show...so I might not see the computer again today!

ahna 04-04-2014 11:45 AM

Thank you all for the welcome! I will introduce myself a bit more and say I am 31 years old, 5 feet 6.5 inches, I have 5 children ages 11 to 1 year old. We homeschool with a Video school program. I will put my link to my youtube channel up when I get 25 posts!

I first heard about Beck Diet Solution when we went to Barnes and Noble bookstore in 2007 I think. I got it and while I did lose weight, I haven't been able to stick with my eating plan this strict and lose 70+ pounds ever before in my life. Now that I am in maintenance, I think Beck's principles will help keep me on track

I am starting a Weight Maintenance Journal/Scrapbook/Collection of ideas/sayings/studies/stories to help encourage and motivate me in my Weight Maintenance Journey. IT is a little different than weight loss, but Like Beck says, the same things you did to lose weight, you have to do to Maintain that weight.

For me to lose weight,

-I counted my bites,
-I tracked my bites on an app,
now I am writing them down also,
- I exercise every day (starting about halfway through my weight loss journey and I have only missed one day)

-I participated in online forums and got accountability and support.

-I filled out Stickk dot com Weight Loss Contracts, and put real money on the line, Now I am filling out Stickk Weight Maintenance Contracts and again put real money on the line

So the same things I done above I need to Continue doing as she said. Its a LifeLong Commitment, day in and day out!

I highly recommend the Stickk dot com for extra Accountability and Motivation to stick with the plan It has made all the difference for me! It made me stick with my exercise plan and my eating plan day in and day out and even when I didn't/don't feel like it! Just another tool! I put 18 dollars on every week, and I use it for housework and all kinds of stuff. Our house is much cleaner and my body is much smaller scince starting Stickk in October!

Quote from Beck diet solution facebook page...

Quote:

It tends to only be when dieters are off track and struggling that they wonder, “Is it worth it to keep putting in the effort?” When they’re on track and feeling in control, they don’t struggle with this question. If you’re asking yourself, “Is it worth it?” remind yourself that once you’re back on track and feeling great, the answer is always YES!
This is something I tell myself! Even though I don't feel like it or it doesn't seem worth it now, it always will later or tommaorw morning! So worth it just to plow through and then we are glad we did!

Credits to myself today for:
-Going ahead and exercising even though I did NOT feel like it:)

Can you all share some ideas on your reasons for what you put on your Advantages of Losing/Maintaining Weight Response Card? I need to be doing that soon

I downloaded The Beck Diet Solution on my iphone and on our home computer so I will be trying to listen to a bit of it each day/often.

I will do Personals a little later.

Thanks again for the welcome! :hug:

Lexxiss 04-04-2014 11:49 AM

I went to the store for "something for dinner". I actually do quite well at the store. I enjoy watching other people and their choices, I like reading labels and I'm not super spontaneous and grabby about off plan foods. I did pick out a healthy dinner….organic beef for a meatloaf and a frozen veggie medley. I passed on potatoes and garlic bread credit and used several thin "heels" of sourdough for a homemade treat with far less calories. Credit moi.
I forgot to mention that yesterday and today I spent some time trying on clothes for our upcoming trip. I have many choices that I've most recently fit back into which is nice, but I did catch myself with some sabotaging thoughts….I had to remind myself that I've lost 100# since I last saw these folks and no one is going to think I'm fat lol and that's not what the trip is about anyway. Crazy how the brain works!

BBE, yay for a fence for the sugar peas! A noble start to the gardening season. PS. I planted my sweet peas on SPD...noticed you mentioned it, too. I guess it's not just my grandmothers idea...

onebyone, kudos again, for an early submission! A memory box worthy event……..It's great that you are persisting with some difficult tasks, knowing your resistance indicates you ought to do it. No choice! Great! Glad to hear, too, that you had a discussion with the trainer.

6crowsgold, credit for knowing you need to plan your dinner before you are ravenous. You discussed age/weightloss awhile back. I am 56. For years I thought I couldn't lose. I've also been wanting to mention I lived in a crow rookery in Alaska. Fascinating! They are so wonderful in their natural habitat, especially as they rear their young.

Gardenerjoy, credit for getting a new book to spur on your enthusiasm. Nice you and onebyone can share insights. I occasionally "count" and always find several easy fixes. Kudos for being open to trying!

flnu, glad you are feeling better and didn't use being sick as a excuse to head off plan and gain back any weight.

Nationalparker, good for you making a plan "One day at a time".

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), I've noticed you're still working at those Essentials! Kudos to you for many credits posted each and every day!

Aztricia, a change in WOE as a long term plan has many long term benefits, not just on the scale. Best wishes with your most current calorie resit. Kudos to you for noticing those other things and thanks for sharing that chard has potassium. I didn't know.

CeeJay, credit for posting and packing food!

MaryAnn, I read "VirginDiet"...had it downloaded to my Ipad. It was very interesting and had me thinking lots.

6crowsgold 04-04-2014 04:12 PM

Happy Friday!

Today is a 500 cal Fast Day, so far so good! 30 Min. upright "ellipticating" done today. Weigh-In tomorrow.

onebyone I hope you get chosen too!

AZtricia Credit for the calorie intervention, man I hope that scale starts behaving!!!

GosfordGirl Way to go with the fasting! I find that, even when I promise myself something the next day, I often don't want it....

BBE "Or at least for the muffin-top to deflate to absolutely zero"--The Grail, in my world!

gardenerjoy Best of luck with your "New Math"!

flnu "I don’t eat snacks at all ever at work" --I strive for this, thanks for demonstrating it can be done!

nationalparker Every saving choice is a WIN in this battle, hang in there!

ahna Welcome! What an awesome weight loss achievement--everyone here will be cheering you on for maintenance!

Lexxiss I am absoluteley fascinated by Crows! Was that a rookery established by a people group or by the crows themselves?

Have a great weekend!

onebyone 04-04-2014 04:14 PM

Day 3 today - eating by the clock

Coaches

I successfully completed Day 2 yesterday and am half way through day 3. Day 4, tomorrow, will prove challenging as I will be leaving home at 7am to go to a ceramics workshop 2ish hrs away which ends at 4, then home, then off to a 9:30pm movie which has, get this: reserved seating, valet parking and your food order is taken at your theatre seat and delivered to you. Oh, and it's like 5x as expensive as the cheap Tuesday movie, where this one will be next week. DH had sticker shock but it's too late now. we're going with two guys he works with. I'm curious about it but doubt it will become part of our routine. So, it will be a long, pleasant, day tomorrow without the *credit* burden of knowing my submission isn;t done because IT IS:dancer: STILL jazzed about this Coaches, it's that rare!

Today's exercise is to prevent hunger from ever arising. To do this you need to eat protein at every meal and he gives ou a minimum amt and a min amt of calories for your meal and snacks. Eat every 2.5-3.5 hrs. record it all like yesterday. You agree to eat even if you're not hungry. And... I wasn't in the morning. And wasn't at lunch but found myself yearning for a fruit, so I added it to my lunch. It wasn't hunger though. It was a "feeling" intuition, something, that I could "use" a fruit. The recording of calories is to make sure you eat enough and nevermind about the rest. We're not supposed to beat ourselves up about it and so I will take the good Dr. at his word. In this way it is very Beck-like. Plus it's day 3 of 10 so we're laying groundwork. I'm not going to second guess. I'm giving myself to the program to see what it has to offer. I am anxious to get through it already though. Oh well. 30% reset at the end of today. I look forward to it.

*credits: posting, tracking, journaling, pos. affirmations listened to, planned food, cooked from scratch, following diet fix program vs. fighting it

Lexxiss 04-04-2014 07:14 PM

Hi Coaches!

Sitting at Costco enjoying a .49 cent diet soda. I left DH with DD at the mall and am enjoying a rare moment on my own. On the way in I realized I used to resist the free samples and now I could really care less. BDS at work for sure!

Mom needed stuff at WF and I didn't buy one thing for me nor did I taste the free vegan raw bars. They could actually work for my plan but at $2.50 ea I knew I wouldn't buy them so no reason to taste either.

It's why I keep working at this. I enjoy the easy moments though I still have many difficult times, too.

6crowsgold, my home was on the shoreline ofsouthcentral Alaska...natural rookery. My hubby occasionally had a pet crow-when a baby fell out of the nest. I loved when they fed the babies...I can still hear the gurgling noises. I miss them!

Ok off to retrieve DH.

maryann 04-04-2014 07:27 PM

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Great to catch up on the posts. Extra work has kept me off the "net" but I am proud to say this is day four 100% OP.

Thoroughly appreciate the posts from Ahna and gardenerjoy regarding maintenance. Always a shock to me that I have to be just as disciplined, honest and willing when I am three pounds from goal as I was 20 pounds from goal or 50 pounds from goal. I never would have believed that.

My latest recommitment is a surrender that I am powerless over sugar. I do not eat for fuel, I eat for the high. I knew a gal who was bi polar and she struggled taking her medication because she didn't want to give up the manic part of her moods swings. In a small way, I completely understand.

This is day four of restricting carbs from anything but veggies. I have absolutely no hunger but I grieve the sweet taste in my mouth. I grieve the little "sugar vacation" I was constantly searching for at work last week. The food I am eating is delicious but it will never replace sweet. Can I find joy and peace without sugar highs? My faith wavers. I found peace without alcohol 26 years ago and peace without smoking 14 years ago. I must be willing to believe there is life without sugar addiction. It just doesn't feel that way right now.

AZtricia 04-04-2014 11:49 PM

Quick good night as I turn off the pc. Today was OP for the new lower calorie level...see y'all tomorrow.

CeeJay 04-05-2014 12:39 AM

Hello!

Back from overnight trip. So happy I have been 100% on plan for 2 days back to back. Looking forward to cooking some healthy dinners this weekend. I am finding it an interesting challenge to eat protein with every meal and snack. Mostly I have been able to do this and am not hungry. Not hungry does not mean not craving though. I am fighting through the cravings with the help of good old "no choice".

Have a great weekend!

BillBlueEyes 04-05-2014 06:52 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, despite three dumb challenges. First, I sat through a two hour meeting with Oreo cookies on a tray and had none. Oreo's used to be my go-to cookie - easily half of the 81 pounds I'd accumulated were shaped like Oreo's. They still have a special draw, not for a single one but for a nice stack of five. Second, a friend brought DW a container of homemade cookies - chocolate cookies with chocolate chips. So far, I've just ignored them. The final was an abundant spread of snack foods during the evening. A bowl of nuts looked particularly good since Brazil nuts were visible on top. Yay for a good day in the presence of the tempting.

The standard walk and folk dancing were the exercise, CREDIT moi. Weight lifting came from removing an unassembled 114 pound entertainment center from the trunk of the car. DW talked me out of trying to carry it inside in the whole carton unpacked. She was smart. We razored open the end and slid out one piece at a time. Easy peasy. Today's challenge is to assemble it with all the wooden dowels and screws. Looks simple enough.

onebyone – Yay for reaping the joy of a task done ahead of time. Looking forward to hearing about your upscale movie experience - I didn't know such thing existed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – You've convinced me; I did my library 'one click' to order The Diet Fix, despite hearing your "NOOOOO" all the way out here.

CeeJay - Interesting that "Not hungry does not mean not craving." Kudos for two days 100% on plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Drooling for "heels" of sourdough - two favorites. Kudos for getting your head straight to appreciate your 100 pounds gone. Monster Kudos for ignoring FREE samples at Costco - from an addict.

maryann - Count me as one of those who's grown to believe that sugar is evil. When I stopped popping cookies continuously, I found the natural sweet taste in many foods that had been masked when my sugar standard was cookie-candy-high. Kudos for "day four 100% OP."

nationalparker – Sometimes a "A rainy, dreary day" can lead to dreary thoughts. Kudos for seeing that you don't want to stop staying your path.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Happy Birthday to your DS. What does it mean for home schooled kids to have student council?

flnu - Ouch for being sick for a week - wish you a full rebound. Super good to hear "I didn't even notice" the Girl Scout cookies - Kudos for getting your head to that place. [Love the thought of a "theoretically perfect" body when it's hidden by extra fat. Despite my complaining of a muffin top, DW spontaneously noticed that I'm looking "trimmer."]

6crowsgold - Congrats for making it through one more fast day.

ahna - Congratulations for grabbing The Beck Diet Solution in 2007 - its publication year. Extra Kudos for exercising "even though I did NOT feel like it."

Readers -
Quote:

day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following . . .:
  • Tolerate occasional hunger and cravings and learn that you can withstand them.
  • Make decisions about eating before you encounter triggers. Let's say some friends invite you to dinner. They offer you some tempting dessert. The decision is already made; no. The dessert isn't on your plan, so you don't eat it. You don't have to weigh the pros and cons. You just stick to your plan. This eliminates the tension and struggle.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 135.

nationalparker 04-05-2014 10:08 AM

Hello, all! I had one day OP ... and reading everyone's posts of two, four, etc. days OP has me excited to feel that way, too. Challenge today is that I'll be home alone, but with much to do, as well as errands. Will try to prep some small meals for DH for the freezer and will leave him a list of ideas as I might be leaving this week instead of next to care for folks as Dad is not doing well and they need someone with them. Situation will be assessed this weekend by my brother and his wife (a nurse) who are less prone to drama.

Tomorrow we're taking DH's folks to Buca de Beppo for an early Easter dinner, so know that dinner there and dessert at our home will be more than typical but if I can have that one meal be my splurge for the week, I will be doing well. We don't go there often, but thought they'd like to go (not often being three times in 12 years :)) and were right. So today will be a lighter day to compensate a bit in theory. Goal is to have regular meals and skip snacking. Thanks, Bill, for the Plan for Tomorrow note for today! Good luck assembling that project. I'm always excited to add in a new piece of furniture that I picture will transform a room. Kudos for standing down, among everything else, the Oreos. Oldest temptations are most often the hardest for me.

Certainly thought the scale karma gods would have been kind this morning since I skipped the Friday donut day at work, too. Not even a BITE of those bakery donuts. Scale finally under 170. I made a good dinner - a resolution this year was to let less food go to waste. Goal is NONE but ... anyway DH had grilled chicken tenders a few nights ago that I forgot about, so added two red peppers on their way out, and an onion, and we had chicken fajitas with low carb tortillas I'd found awhile back on major sale. I was like, "score!" :) We have ample for one more meal, too.

For those reading, "The Diet Fix" - would you recommend it as a book to buy or to check out from the library? Will it be one you'll refer back to now and again, similar to the BDS?

Surprised DH with an early Easter basket last night - we each took a bit of cash from our tax refund to spend and I got him a watch he'd tried on and really liked a while back... he was very surprised and happy, so that made me very happy. I did include two of his biggest treats, Reese's eggs, along with some 100 cal packs of almonds, and healthier snacks.

Thank you all for the positive thoughts on my folks. Off to ring my mom right now and see how she's hanging in there.

maryann 04-05-2014 11:25 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Day 5 OP and large hurray :) - Weight was on ticker. It has taken me a month to lose the weight gained through indulgence on my Sedona girl's trip. I am resolved to try and remember that month when I give myself a FREE pass on a special occasion. Maybe I will keep to only rare and unusual foods and not "well it is next to the rare and unusual food and doesn't it look festive."

Congrats to all OPs for the day.

Ceejay: I have super increased my protein right now and find myself not hungry in the least. It is my mind that thinks about the sweets.

BBE: Knowing you and your wife's background, that entertainment center doesn't stand a chance. It will be perfectly assembled in a heartbeat. Unlike a engineering job attempted in this household. Now if you need to teach 30 twelve year olds about coordinative conjunctions. I am your gal.

gardenerjoy 04-05-2014 01:17 PM

One of the reasons that I resisted calorie-counting in the past was I was afraid of awakening a perfectionist tendency that I would be unable to sustain in the long term. So, it turned out that yesterday’s annoyance at the whole thing worked well. I was able to play the annoyance off the perfectionism and end up with some very workable compromises.

For example, instead of figuring out the calories in my homemade bread, I used Calorie King’s information for an ounce of average whole wheat bread. Close enough and a lot easier.

Speaking of ounces, the digital kitchen scale (which I already owned but previously called a ‘postal scale’), turned out to be a terrific tool. I was able to weigh the whole amount of stuffing that I made (and expect to eat for the next week), and use that to determine the number of calories per ounce. Much more accurate and easier than trying to measure how many cups the recipe produced.

Another compromise – rounding ingredients off to the nearest 5 calories and dishes off to the nearest 10 calories. According to Marion Nestle, you can’t get closer than that even in the lab so there’s no way I’m going to be more accurate in my kitchen. Math is much easier in 5s and 10s.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +50 180/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ahna: I have one advantage to losing right now -- I want to look as good as possible for a family wedding at the end of the month! Normally, I go for longer term things like, "I feel pain so seldom now" and "I love and celebrate and delight in my new lifestyle and way of eating."

nationalparker: I got The Diet Fix from the library and I think that's going to be enough. But, then, while I own the pink book, I keep checking out the green book from the library as if I haven't done it enough to justify owning it by now.

ahna 04-05-2014 05:46 PM

DH is taking me out to a Steakhouse for supper. I ate 2 small meals today, a 7 bite breakfast and an 8 bite lunch so that I could enjoy a 40 bite delicious eating out supper of whatever I want!

Saturdays and Sundays I eat more planned food, that is how my meal plan works (NO S diet)

Im getting a little burnt out with my exercise. I like leslie Sansone but I like her older videos better almost and I don't like to do too much the same thing over and over. I got a dvd from the library to change things up next week

gardenerjoy It sounds like you have come up with a very workable plan for figuring out/tracking your food plan.... Some people wonder about me tracking/counting bites for lifetime, probably, but I just think/say if people can track calories ect forever, then I can track bites :) Its all about doing what works best for each individual person :D

Maryann good job getting the weight off this month!

nationalparker kudos on the scale being under 170!

BillBlueEyes Oreos...mmm...I used to be able to eat many more than one myself! Good job on ignoring your friends cookies!

CeeJay good for you being on plan 2 days in a row! Always feels good to get back on track!

Lexxiss
Quote:

I realized I used to resist the free samples and now I could really care less. BDS at work for sure!
my DH and kids stop in Walmart to get the latest samples and I pass on by them :)

onebyone I eat 3 meals a day and I try to eat peanut butter at each meal sometimes or foods that help keep me going from meal to meal. Prunes are another good thing that holds over. You mentioned protein, Ive noticed and read that eggs are good too. Its all about Satiety When we are satisfied, Losing and Maintaining our weight becomes much less of a struggle!