Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #211  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up check in right before bed

Coaches

I'm doing ok, choosing well, eating less. I feel good about it all tonight as I head off to bed. The dental stuff gives me that tiny space to stop and think about what I am going to eat. Honestly, I dislike my new dental routine so much that I don't want my teeth to be that dirty when I have to deal with them and so I am eating less, let alone choosing what goes in my mouth. Weird, but often my best most successful "runs" with changing my food have come in exactly this way: unexpected or anticipated and from a direction I could never have planned. So kudos to the universe for helping me out this time round.

I completed my one small decluttering task today and will add to it before the weekend is out. That makes me feel good and makes me want to do more. My routine is returning finally after being knocked off course St Patty's Day. 6 weeks. It takes me 6 weeks to come round but I *do* come round.

I did not even crack the Diet Fix open today so did not do Day 9 which I believe is Visualize. I will also complete the 10 day reset by the end of the month as well. I believe I can and will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff in that book for me. It's been helpful but not as much as I had hoped except, again unexpected, to give me a new respect for Beck. I may honestly take a look at doing her days once more as a refresher. We'll see.

Anyway a slow day today. Looks like tomorrow I get to go on a car ride (YAY!) with DH to the art gallery that accepted me to do the steam roller printing event in August. I got an email telling me my wood was ready to be picked up and asking that I drop off my signed contract to them. Looks good to go. Exciting. I will take all of you with me so I can flex that resistance muscle in good company.

Have a fine evening.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday

I was down another .2 pound this morning so what is going on! Maybe the planets aligned correctly - it certainly wasn't the restraint I demonstrated at dinner last night

I found day 3 interesting (Banish Hunger) - I don't have difficulty usually having the required amount of protein over a day - I have more in fact because I restrict carbs. But I found it hard to have snacks - I don't snack, I just eat meals and I don't tend to be hungry in between. But trying to spread my protein and calories over 6 events is difficult without adding in extra carbs (or living on processed meat). I have found a few 10g protein snacks to give it a go because maybe it is the problem I am having. 60g of cooked peeled prawns has only 51 calories and 12 g protein - snack done. Cottage cheese is a good one - 100 g has 107 calories and 11 g protein - so with half a piece of fruit snack done. I need to retire to do this I think

Today is Day 4 - Cook - so I am making chicken stock to make soup in case the weather actually does cool down as it threatens to (has been in mid to high 80s). Also freezing chicken breasts for quick meals and organising snacks. Tomorrow is Day 5 - Think: I haven't read that yet so who knows

Dinner with my sister was interesting as always - I totally identify with Maryann - I have always said I need to have at least one day a week of total solitude, and I really only like social events one-on-one. Hate dealing with multiple conversations bigtime especially with my family. It was difficult when my parents were alive but the tradition goes on. So last night with my sister, her 30 year old son and his partner was interesting. The food was fabulous but the conversation made me crazy. (They are extroverts BTW) They enjoyed it so that is all that matters - doesn't seem to bother them that no one listens/hears and that everyone keeps interrupting each other - I suppose that is social intercourse but I am totally ill equipped for it. I know it is me who is the social cripple but I don't need to be confronted by it too often

BillBE's story about biscuits in pockets reminded me that I try to think of how others react when they see a "fat" woman (me) eating "that" (whatever it is). Not a pretty picture and decidedly fatist on their imagined part - but it sometimes puts the brakes on. Whatever works and it makes me think about who I really want to be

BillBE - You seem to have so many social events to negotiate foodwise. You are a great source of useful tips. LOL at being worrying about being caught with pilfered biscuits in your pocket

Tricia (from AZ) - Yay for only 1 pound to go to reach a milestone.

6crowsgold - "Wondering how a workout and a Fast Day will go together". Me too! I am thinking it could be a problem so would love to hear how it goes

Onebyone - Congrats on your new project - it sounds amazing and I am looking forward to seeing the result. Glad you are more at peace with your plan
Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #213  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - John James Audubon's Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Rendezvoused with a friend in the Boston Public Garden to see a lone Hooded Warbler that had lingered for some five days. It was so easy - it stayed in the same pine tree for hours - that a couple of less-nimble birders arrived with their portable chairs to sit and watch it for a spell. It wasn't crowded because everyone in the state had already trekked over to see it. A White-throated Sparrow appeared just for joy.

Dinner included Spicy Korean Pork (Daeji Bulgogi) that was special because we'd never had it at home before and because I cooked it, CREDIT moi. Not bad for a non-chef. However, amazingly simple because I'd bought a package of marinated sliced pork at the Grand Opening of the Korean grocery store a few days ago. I paired it with the sweet potato latkes and kale Cole slaw left overs as well as Korean kimchi also from the Korean store. The kimchi was tasty but, unfortunately, too spicy for DW so I have the whole jar to finish. CREDIT moi for serving myself only a reasonable portion of the Bulgogi since it was outstanding. Leftovers for another day.

onebyone – I'm uber excited to attend your "steam roller printing event" but confess to some trepidation out of ignorance. What is it? Is there a real steam roller involved? Wlll I get to drive it? I've always wanted to drive a steam roller, if not to own one outright. This sounds good to me, "It takes me 6 weeks to come round but I *do* come round."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Neat that your thinking of snacks can conjure up prawns (shrimp around here) for a low calorie high protein food. I'm reminded that shrimp are a fine food for a buffet or for walking appetizers if I avoid the high-sugar 'shrimp sauce' that's offered. Kudos for surviving dinner with fast talking relatives. (The kimchi is my response to being reminded by you that fermented foods are good for the digestive track.)

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for accepting with equanimity that your boys are headed out to "to shoot at their friends instead of swimming." A friend recently asked the manager of a public space why he'd marked trees in one area with large white circles. After a puzzling conversation since he hadn't marked any trees, he finally realized that she'd seen paint-ball blotches on the trees from kids out shooting where they shouldn't be.

flnu - Ouch for the realities of scale jitter with Kudos for responding with a plan rather than with discouragement. I'm Internet-interpreting your posted "read my car daily" as auto-corrected from 'ARC' (Advantages Response Card). Have you added new Advantages from your perspective from abroad?

6crowsgold - Yay for using weigh-in as incentive.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

Next do the following:
Monitor your eating immediately after finishing each meal and snack by noting what you ate on your food plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 141.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Saturday Weigh-In Shocker: Down 3 pounds for the week, but calling it 2.5.

This inexplicable weigh-in blew me past my halfway point, I'm 12.5 pounds down since March 1st. No idea as to why. The only thing I did differently were my 3 newly added workouts, consisting of 30 min Interval Training on the bike and 30 min weight lifting using high enough weights to fail at the last set.

As Gosford Girl said, perhaps the planets aligned just so. The thing I don't like is that this often means an uptick at the next weigh-in.

Proud to have reached the last card in mywirebound index card tracker, time for a new one today (it's the little things). I'd bought an extra one as an act of faith in myself that I'd get this far. NowI can look back at 50 days' food recording and see that perhaps it's time to review what I'm eating in addition to how much I'm eating.

GosfordGirl: Fast Day + Workout went just fine, didn't seem to change my hunger levels, I exercised after my last meal of the day in the evening. I have the same thing with those chaotic conversations at our Sunday after Mass gatherings. I tend to stick with just coffee because it's so confusing to me and I can eat donuts mindlessly when I'm that distracted!

BBE: A pen pal sent me a great photo of a hooded crow. You just don't get to see them here in the States.

maryanne: I completely hear you. Sometimes it is exhausting for me, after a day of people at work to even converse with my DH. Sometimes I have to go take 15 min. and lie down in silence right when I get home, then get up and continue the evening. I'm an "Adult Child of an AA member" and that makes me co-dependent. I have to use all the energy I have to protect those weak boundaries. It has been a lifelong struggle. Solitude is Heaven for me.

nationalparker: "Relaxing with the pets for two hours"---Yes!!!

AZtricia: I do hope the "crazy hunger phase" is over for you, that's such a white knuckle place to be. I can see my 7yr old someday loving paint guns!

All the best to all the Beckers!

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-26-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thank goodness I am sitting on my couch staring out to my beautiful backyard with NOTHING planned for the next two days. I made it through the rest of the work week but I am sad to say I used sugar shamelessly as I army-crawled the last few hours. Credit for continuing to track most of what I ate. Credit for having a food plan for the day. Credit for weighing when I did not want to weigh. 3 pounds from maintenance and some exercise set up for the weekend.

GosfordGirl: Great high protein snack ideas. Do you cook a batch of shrimp and keep them for three or four days?

onebyone: Good luck with decluttering. I have a bag going to the Goodwill today. It makes me feel so accomplished.

BBE: i have to make some sweet potato latkes. I have only used white. I have bags of s. potatoes I baked, removed the skin and froze. This could be a great use for them.

6crowsgold: You have confirmed what I have been thinking. Within ten pounds of goal, it is going to be all about the exercise I do. This week has been nothing. Time for me to get on track. (Literally)

Last edited by maryann; 04-26-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #216  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! A big thank you to all for your caring thoughts the past few weeks - checking in here kept me more on track than I would have been. Flight delays on the way home got me back hours later than planned, but all went smoothly, at least, getting home at midnight.

DH did well without me - I didn't have any fears about that, but interesting to see what he's bought for food, how he's rearranged a few cupboards (which I typically have a great deal of ownership toward), and initially thought, WHAT? Then looked at it and realized, hmm ... it's better. That was a big step for me, as the main dish washer, kitchen cleaner and meal preparer.

Scale read 164.2 this morning - first time I've been under 165 in years. Down 3+ pounds. I'm changing my ticker and not waiting to see it for days in a row ... enjoy it for a bit at least. I ate much less most days while at my folks, both smaller meals and fewer snacks.

Planning a day that only includes a bit of office work and unpacking/laundry. And pet smooching

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-26-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all,

Day 1 of 7.

Goal: Checkin/OP/Exercise/ReadARC

Credit: Yes/Yes/5K with new personal best/Yes

BBE: Being abroad has not brought new goals to my ARC. It does make me painfully aware how lucky I am to struggle with overnourishment rather than undernourishment.

Rock on, Coaches.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #218  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Happy Saturday.

Groceries collected. Meals done for the day. Dough is rising for cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow.

Food OP
Exercise OP (but I'd like to still do my DVD before bed because I'm not sure if Teddy will walk again - 30+ mph winds today!)

Off to roll the dough!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

Hi all
Bill suggested I come over and introduce myself although I haven't actually started the BDS.
I am a 57 year old single woman from Ontario Canada.
I have lost a lot of weight over the past 7 years. Mostly starvation then binge, starvation then binge and repeat. Joined WW about 5 months back and really enjoy it and am still losing weight (although slowly) I still suffer from the occasional binge..
I have heard a bit about the BDS on several forums on here. I did CBT with success for my anxiety and hope that the book will help me and my relationship with food.
Will receive the book either Monday or Tuesday from Amazon.ca and then I look forward to joining you and participating to the best of my ability.
Enjoy your weekend!
Judi
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #220  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Saturday Musings

Coaches

I did get my car ride today. I did pick up my block of wood for the Quest Art Steamroller Printmaking Event in August. Here's a link to a picture of what that is: http://www.questart.ca/#!quest-art-s...1ryf/image1ybp The image was taken at last year's event. I hope to be able to drive the steamroller over my inked-up block of wood with paper on top with protective blankets on top of that - so the steam roller only presses it down, not destroys the block or the print/paper! I saw the block and was ... disappointed. It's small! 18" x 40". I have one I just marked up to begin carving in the studio and it's 36" x 48". I thought, wow, how am I ever going to get what I wanted to get onto that surface? And so begins the artistic process. A teacher of mine once said "Artwork consists of solving problems." It's true. The wood is birch though and it is smooth smooth smooth. It will be a dream to carve. I heard when I was there that 3 proposals were approved. I feel fortunate.

I walked a lot today. I went out and took photos of two soon-to-be-destroyed er "developed" sites around here. I find all this "progress" dumb. And then I took pictures of a construction site which caused someone to ask me what I was doing. People don't like other people taking pictures. I said I was doing a construction project. The photography led to exploring on foot which led to a new way to get to Lake Wilcox (a kettle lake) in behind the new community centre. I walked to the water's edge and saw some ducks, many robins, a red squirrel, and other birds, a sandpiper type was another one, and then I headed to the studio to get some stuff to work on that will now be shuffled back to the studio tomorrow morning, untouched. Tomorrow will be a full work day for me. I have two deadlines on the 30th. My work must be in the mail that day with the April 30th postmark on it. So all of this to say I did my toothbrush level of exercise ++ today.

Foodwise I did ok, sticking to my meals and when faced with a food challenge I did as Dr. Yoni suggested and had the most satisfying/least calorie laden one I could get and it was also the most healthy. I did abstain from sugar today again. I did not do Day 9 so will read it tonight and do it tomorrow. I loosely tracked and planned ahead as much as I good. It really was the Eating Out Day all over again.

My gums are all healed except for one small spot. I think it will also heal in time. I must be doing a good enough job. *credit* I'm overall feeling much better than I have in months. I'm relieved cause it felt like I was heading in the wrong direction for a bit there. I'm pretty sure I've turned the corner. *credit for hanging in there*

Have a good night.

projectjudi to the group! Congratulations on your weightloss success and bravo for moving forward and using new tools to help you do that. I look forward to hearing from you as you go through the book. The CBT part of this program is what brought me here as well. I know it works.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #221  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday

Coaches

I was down another .2 pound again today - so am now sitting on 189 when I couldn't get back under 192. I expected to go up once I went back on prednisone. Perhaps my body hadn't caught up with going off it 2 months ago and is only now making an adjustment? Does that mean in 2 months it will react to being back on it by putting on weight? Mysterious. The only other thing to change is the 5:2 plan and restricting calories 2 days a week - maybe it works?? Since I started 5:2 on 2nd April I have gone from 195.4 to 189. I have lost 3 pound of it in the last week - no point overanalysing it but it would be good to know what is working for a change.

I bought some really comfortable gym/walking/active shoes yesterday. I have been trying to get some for a while and got lucky - they are not that expensive and fit really well - I am happy. Also bought some large T shirts that make me feel comfortable, and a new sports bag so I am all organised and comfortable. I hadn't actually meant to follow all of Diet Fix recommendations (Get geared up) but coincidentally I did. I have done day 5 - Think. I can relate to thinking about What can i do right now to be proud of"? and "What can I do right now that will help a little bit". I can use these ideas when I am going off the rails about food or relationships or whatever. Tomorrow is exercise.

I am taking tomorrow as leave because my sister is still in town and I will take her somewhere she doesn't usually go

For those interested in the importance of gut bacteria and fermented food (Tricia and perhaps BillBE and others?) etc here is an interesting link 7 Things You Had No Idea Gut Bacteria Could Do. Has some really useful links in there as well

BillBE - sorry you got stuck with the kimchi. All those healthy Lactic acid bacteria will do the compost good so hurl them in. Credit for cooking Korean from scratch at home - I am impressed

6crowsgold - nice numbers and congrats on going past half way. A nice place to be and the planets do seem to be lining up for the both of us.

Maryann - hope you are enjoying your days of nothing planned - my perfect weekend. I buy the prawns cooked and shell them and bag them as snacks for a few days

Nationalparker - kiss the pets and enjoy their company. You did well with food while away - huge credit indeed

flnu - credit for checking in as you planned

Tricia - you sound on track! Hope you enjoyed the cinnamon rolls (yum!) or were you not having any?

projectjudi - Welcome - really impressive weight loss so you are a master in that regard. I hope you enjoy Beck

Onebyone - thanks for the links, your steamroller art project looks great!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #222  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Judi (projectjudi)

Judi (projectjudi)

And even though you've been here for four months already,

Neat that you learned about the Beck Diet Solution from several forums here on 3FC.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #223  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Babe Ruth Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Out birding early, CREDIT moi, but the warblers still aren't here. I presume they're waiting for favorable southern winds. Birding isn't cardio exercise and, when done thoughtfully, can be little exercise at all. Oh Well, it's what I like to do.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. One challenge was food offered by the artists at local open studios. It wasn't particularly tasty food - the standard manufactured stuff that doesn't cost much. But it does tempt me because it's FREE. One offering was a bowl of chocolate chips where a clue was my brain's desire for a whole hand full of them - not for a tasty few. Another challenge was dinner with friends where much food was available. I had the moderate portions that I'd planned to have, skipping the dish with potatoes drenched with butter despite the green beans stuck between them. Fresh fruit for dessert fits my food plan. Good enough to foreshadow today's Beck quote, "That's good! I ate what I was supposed to, and I'm taking the time to check it off."

onebyone – I can't believe that you actually get to drive the steam roller. I am SO JEALOUS. The woman in the picture you linked looks so determined. Kudos for wise food choices when bad ones were available.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Getting a comfortable set of exercise gear is a big deal - Kudos. Congrats for breaking into the 180's - it's a happy scale reading day here on the Beck Forum. [I'll eat that Kimchi - it's only DW who finds it too hot. I need me "those healthy Lactic acid bacteria."]

maryann - Yep, Kudos deserved for "army-crawled the last few hours" - you got yourself there. Your post reminds me of DW sitting with a cup of tea just taking in our small city back yard.

nationalparker – Congrats for a scale that gives a rewarding feeling. Your DH is a braver man than I am to change something in the kitchen. Kudos for having remained mindful throughout your visit to your parents.

Tricia (AZtricia) - I join Teddy in reluctance to walk in "30+ mph winds." OP and OP is a good day.

flnu - Neat achievement, "5K with new personal best" - Kudos. Sobering reminder, "how lucky I am to struggle with overnourishment rather than undernourishment."

6crowsgold - Kudos for reaching "the last card in mywirebound index card tracker" - that's my type of milestone. You're marching forward. Congrats on passing the point halfway to your scale goal. [Love being reminded that the Hooded Crow is out there; I'll add it to my Bucket List.]

Judi (projectjudi) - Kudos for making progress with your Weight Watchers and for sticking with it. One of my favorite things about Beck is her acceptance of all of the reasonable diet plans out there. You start out with a big advantage by already knowing and appreciating Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

Next do the following:
Give yourself credit every single time you stick to your plan. Say to yourself, That's good! I ate what I was supposed to, and I'm taking the time to check it off.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 141.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #224  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

So thankful that I arrived home with two days to get things done around here, relax a bit, and switch out my spring/summer clothes and pack away most of the winter duds. Since I was alone, I was able to try on some of the clothes, and was happy to find that a few things that were unwearable last year fit at this point. I'm still a ways from where everything I have will fit (a lot of walking for toning and about 15 pounds). But a little progress is a welcome feeling.

Today I need to hit the market after making my menu for the week. Last night we enjoyed part of a small homemade lasagna in a loaf pan. Plenty left for two more meals. I brought home two cupcakes from a favorite market at home, and we each ate part of ours (mine-coconut, his-chocolate) ... nice treat. I was worried that I'd go off the deep end with food this weekend, but so far, so good with smaller portions.

Welcome, ProjectJudi! This is a great group of supportive coaches, and represent a diverse cross section of the world, so good ideas all around.

Bill - I'll echo GosfordGirl's comment that you successfully make your way through such a variety of social food challenges - major kudos to you.

GosfordGirl - Great progress this month! And how good does it feel to get geared up and be prepared for your activity! Great job! Enjoy your visit with your sister.

6CrowsGold - What a great week's reward for staying on plan! Congrats on moving right along on your goals!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #225  
Green Tomatoes

Lots of thoughts.

First off, the wedding service was truly lovely. I learned something about not fretting about stuff I can't control. I'm much better off with an optimistic attitude and the assumption that everything is going to be fine. Sure, I'll end up disappointed sometimes, but I deal better with disappointment than I do with stressing out about things that I can't do anything about.

The whole way-too extroverted aspect was the bigger problem (thanks to maryann and others here who helped remind me that I'm an introvert and this is normal for me). We've got time and space to recover so that's fine too.

I attached a photo of DH and me at the reception. My outfit worked out great. Very different from what others wore and yet still appropriate and well-suited to me.

I'll take a small credit for following my plan at the two eating events because I did. But it "helped" that I overate earlier in the day during my favorite binge time, so that was not great in the big picture.

Overeating makes me feel worse in a variety of ways -- bloatedness, other digestive tract sensations that don't feel right, disrupted sleep patterns, more hot flashes, increased thought activity but little ability to corral it into anything useful. I used to think that I didn't notice any difference in how I felt when I ate badly, but that's just because I didn't know what it felt like to eat really well. So that's good news to have actual evidence that healthy eating improves my physical and mental life.

Which makes it all the more crazy-making that I'm having a hard time stopping the overeating now.

So, I definitely need a reset. I've noticed that three of us who, so far, documented a pass through The Diet Fix all ended up with some problems and questioning our own mental health. For a book that's supposed to fix dieting trauma, it seemed to cause more trauma than I observe of people working through Beck.

On the other hand, I think Beck scares people off before they ever get started and we don't see that so much on this thread -- those are the people who never make it here or only post once or twice.

The Diet Fix feels like something that will be helpful if I give it enough energy. This feels like a bet I can win if double-down.

So here's my double-down plan:

1) Take my time. I'm going to give most of the "days" at least 4 or 5 days each. I think a lot of the trauma came from the speed.

2) Incorporate Day 5 (Think) and Day 9 (Set Goals) into all of the "days," especially Day 1.

3) Get a gadget. If I'm going to do this much tracking, then I want something fun to go along with it. I'm leaning toward the FitBit One.

4) Play with the plan in The Complete Beck Diet for Life. I remember that being difficult for me at the time, but I think it will be easier now and may work better for me than the plan in The Diet Fix.

5) Quit weighing myself until I've mastered Day 3. I think part of the trauma I've been inflicting on myself is that I'm going to all this effort and seeing little action on the scale. I need to give myself a little time to adjust to this new way of eating without expectations that I'm going to see results on the scale.

Okay. So, it's Day 1 (with big doses of Day 5 and Day 9) today and for the next few days. More thoughts tomorrow.

Welcome, projectjudi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding-01048.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-27-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fix numbered list so numbers go in order :-)
Closed Thread