Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #61  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6crowsgold View Post
...I'll dip in and out of the forum today to keep myself on track, since this free time could turn into a free for all in the pantry if I don't stay focused!
Great idea. Wishing you a relaxing but OP day!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #62  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm on my third attempt to get Day 3 of The Diet Fix done reasonably well. I'm ready to move on because this is going to take some time to find fully workable solutions. I can improve on the next round.

WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +50 305/1500 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

AZtricia: I'm experiencing the same thing -- a tweak in the way I eat is providing more work than expected in planning, redesigning my meals, and food prep. It will get better! My favorite video on the Weighty Matters site is the one where he takes on Nutella's implication of being a healthy breakfast food: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/09...t-want-to.html

CeeJay: I hoped, too, that weight loss would improve pain. And I've been pleasantly surprised, even shocked, at how big the improvement is. I used to experience pain most days. Now, I rarely do. In fact, it's my favorite Advantage to maintaining my weight loss -- "I feel pain so seldom now."

onebyone: I keep thinking how difficult The Diet Fix would be to someone who had little experience with dieting and limited skills. I like it a lot, but I think he's oversold the ease of the program. It's not really a 10-Day Plan if most people have to repeat days to get them right. In Beck's style of doing things, Days 2 and 3 would have stretched out for a couple of weeks, I think.

BillBlueEyes and GosfordGirl: my cynical theory is that the Russians took out MH370 because they knew the Western media couldn't resist a lost plane mystery, forgetting about the news story that involves redrawing the world map.

BillBlueEyes: we've got the forms to send to the accountant for electronic filing. It's not quite got the same satisfaction as mailing the actual tax returns.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #63  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Back to work after a night of three hours' sleep. I don't feel wiped out yet after two little-sleep nights ... I am one who gets cranky when I'm tired (or overly hungry) - so I'll be on the alert for that with DH tonight, so he doesn't have to bear the brunt of that.

Credits from yesterday - light lunch and did better than anticipated with dinner. Enjoyed a little bit of a few things, but very small portions. I surprised myself. Easier when I don't LOVE something, to have only a few pieces of ziti, etc. Scale was kind this morning, despite the restaurant meal, and I'm hoping to continue that trend.

Sister-in-law (a nurse) called last night to bring me up to date, and now mom might be going into the hospital today due to infection. I was reeling a bit from that last night, and the news that my dad most likely will continue to decline, rather than rebound at any point from the chemo if they're able to administer. So I'm just going to go there with the goal of doing all I can for them and comfort is key. I hope to check in here instead of eat my stress. Sorry to keep unloading here!! I think it is a bit cathartic though. However you spell that.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Beck Friends:

onebyone- you are worth the work. We are fabulous.

AZtricia- thanks for the link about protein. That was really interesting. Will also check out the blog.

6crowsgold- yay for 1 more pound gone. LOL about staring at the butter for a visual of what you lost.

GosfordGirl- what a great list of credits. I am using one aleave in the morning and when it is bad I am taking extra strength Tylenol for arthritis. I know both knees and ankles are arthritic so am hoping weight loss will help. I am sick of hurting!!! I am trying not to take any more medication.

BillBlueEyes- thanks for "weak plan might get weak response." Love that.

gardenerjoy- thank you, thank you, thank you for the encouraging words about pain. I have a hard time not beating myself up for getting myself into this situation by putting so much strain on my knees, legs and feet for so many years. It is good to know that there is a chance I could feel better.

nationalparker-no need to feel you are unloading too much here. We are here for each other. My favourite aunt has cancer and my uncle is being tested so I can really relate to what you are going through. Sending hugs.

For me- another day on plan. Man I love typing that. I am really pleased today that I rode the exercise bike after dinner. I don't know why I resist it so much- it is not really a big deal and I do feel good when I am done. I am trying to make 15 minutes on the bike after dinner my minimum amount of exercise for the day and build from there. We will see.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #65  

hello Beck Coaches... I have been a bit down mentally, hopefully I will be back on top soon! Im still exercising and counting my bites, I am not sure if my sleep loss is making me feel down or not?

I started my Weight Maintenance Scrapbook. I found some good articles and blogs online. Im putting some quotes and articles by Judith Beck in there too.

I want to share my youtube Channel with you all. Here it is. My baby is in most of the videos too!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJ...EhuP2iQ/videos

Credits today

-I tracked my food, exercise in my journal, marked it off
-I weighed today and my weight was within my 5 lb Maintenance Range
-I exercised 4 miles and did 4 minutes HeavyHands
-I printed off several pages for my Weight Maintenance Scrapbook
-I felt like overeating and binging today, but I just thought about it instead and moved on, They say if you think about eating the food, and go through the process in your head, it takes some of the craving/desire to actually do it away. I think it helps!

nationalparker wow, 3 hours sleep? How do you do it?

gardnerjoy do you agree with all the principles of The Diet Fix ?
Im wondering if I could adapt it to fit what I am doing. I am not counting calories per say really, I am counting my bites. And I do strictly track them, but I wonder if I could "adapt" his principles to fit what I do that works for me personally?

onebyone Feel better soon! Being sick is no fun!

Last edited by ahna; 04-07-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #66  

Hello Coaches

Had a dentist appointment today and the hygienist scraped my teeth for a full 30 minutes (after saying they looked pretty good!) so they must be super clean now. Helped ds with editing his huge paper instead of doing my dvd, but I did walk 3 miles on the treadmill while the boys swam. OP today for food and exercise but I am still hungry after dinner, ignoring it and having a nice cup of tea. I lost another pound today, so that makes up for the plateau and averages to one a week. Planning on my dvd tomorrow instead. Finally have an appointment at the end of the month for ds's dyslexia.

CeeJay I agree that I hope weight loss reduces pain. I can only walk up to a certain speed before I am in too much pain to continue and have to back off. Kudos for your second round of Diet Fix! I was surprised to see the range of 25-30% protein I usually do reach 25%, but it would be a complete change to add that extra 5%. Glad you enjoyed the link.

onebyone Kudos for 5 of 10 and sticking with the detailed plan. Sorry you are not feeling well. LOL about your new diet book!

6crowsgold Hurray for one more pound lost! You write an amazing number of letters! The butter is a fun idea Enjoy your pups!

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Kudos for OP and down a few pounds. You are not a wimp!! I am in a crazy faze of life but homeschooling is my full time job and the end of the school year is just a bit crazier than the rest.

BillBlueEyes Yikes for IRS. Bummer for the disappointing Sunday. I vote for you for czar

gardenerjoy I agree that the Nutella video was great. He has a wonderful sense of humor and I enjoyed watching him. Sort of disgusting that chocolate icing is "healthier" than Nutella.

nationalparker HUGE kudos for checking in here instead of medicating stress with food. So glad that it is helpful for you during this traumatic time. I was sad to hear about your mom.

ahna Thanks for sharing your link. Awesome that you are staying in your maintenance range.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

'Round Midnight.

Spent the day hand wiring a rosary for DH's birthday coming up later this month. Lovely custom carved beads in tiger eye. I was so engrossed in getting it just right, I ended up with less than the allowed calories for the day.

So let's hear it for distraction as a weight loss technique!

Tomorrow is another 500 cal Fast day. My best to all and to all a Good Night!

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-07-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday Night

Hi coaches

I made it to the gym on the way home and I also did 8000 steps - most of which don't show up at the gym. I keep looking at the TRX straps at the gym and wanting to have a go - I asked the PT to show me and we had a quick session 2 weeks ago but I am not confident. So today they had small group training on them. So I went and joined the group. They were all young and buff and all that, and I thought d**n it - I want to try. It was fun and nearly killed me. I reckon they need to develop rountines that can run alongside for the more enfeebled paying customers - but the trainer more or less looked after me. In all likelihood I wont be able to walk tomorrow

BillBE - You did well to plan at all in the midst of competing engagements

Onebyone - Hope you feel better soon. Can't wait to see what the plan is

6crowsgold - Credit for a plan to keep you on plan - I notice you checked in later and all was well - more credit. Hand wiring a rosary sounds committed - tiger eye beads are beautiful - I was involved in handwiring a mala using them once and it was special

Gardenerjoy - Good attitude to use well enough for the first attempt at the Diet Fix plan. Great antidote to perfectionism. I like your theory about MH370 because it has certainly diverted attention from something (many things) way more important. Really LOVED the video on Nutella - scary

Nationalparker - hope you remained calm though tired. Supportive thoughts about your father and credit for realising it is a danger time for stress eating. Unload away - the better alternative

CeeJay - LOL for "Man I love typing that" - I love reading it too. Credit for riding your bike even though you resisted it. I am really hoping / wishing / believing that losing weight = less pain so I am with you on that

ahna - a great list of credits which hopefull will lift your mood. You are doing well with your goals

Tricia - it is great to have squeaky clean teeth. Credit for having tea to deal with hunger and cravings - small comfort but a good strategy. Yay for continued weight loss

Credits:
Ate on plan today - Yes but the plan was a touch generous
Planned food for tomorrow - easy - my 500 cal fast day. Sure beats having to plan lunch
I logged food as I ate it - yes
Weighed myself and logged it - yes - up 1.4 pound
Did planned exercises - Gym, 8,000 steps plus 14 active minutes outside gym
I didn't eat standing up - today 80%
I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
Listened to motivation recording - not yet
Made time for diet and exercise - Gym for thursday and saturday
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I work today and we leave for California very early tomorrow morning. I have gratefully packed my warm weather clothes. I feel comfortable at my current weight and recognize that in order to maintain/weigh less that I need to always be mindful of healthy food choices. That said, I can absolutely control 1 "food" item on this short trip-my morning smoothie. VitaMix will travel in my carry on and I've located the nearest WFoods and a Thursday farmers market for fresh produce. Credit. I also recognize that with our friends' situation that any controlling of my food will be at a minimum. Our hostess will plan all menus and any eating out will be on their terms. I can make my best choices, plan for some extra eating and can also say NO CHOICE to many food items that are just not included in my agenda any more. BDS gives me freedom and flexibility in that sometimes not being able to plan (when I think it out ahead of time) IS a plan. Credit.

I wish you all the best and will check in soon.

to nationalparker and get well wishes to onebyone!

Will just comment (on the fly) that losing weight has taken away so much pain for me. The knee surgery I used to think I needed hasn't been necessary and I can get up and down off the floor whenever necessary. I used to require assistance. It has been a great reward for persistence and is a great reminder and motivator to keep going.

I look forward to heading to a warmer climate, even if for just a few days!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was leftovers quickly from the fridge even as DW was cooking a dinner that wouldn't be ready in time before I left for an evening thing. Leftovers has the challenge of serving myself from containers that always make it desirable to serve more. I left enough in each of three containers to make another meal, CREDIT moi, especially since it was a favorite combination of taco burger, black beans, and yellow rice that I've been known to pile high on my plate. Finishing off the leftovers in a container is one strong urge. There is both personal satisfaction and points from DW for emptying a container taking up space in the fridge.

Three different walks, CREDIT moi. Turned down an offered ride home in the evening to enjoy both the exercise and walking the city at night, with the satisfaction of hearing, "I knew you'd probably want to walk" from my friend. From the library's 24-hour-layover-shelf, I picked up The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert. Not sure why I want to read a book that'll make me sad.

onebyone – Enclosed in my check for a copy of "Weigh the Weight Away" diet book - I so want that. Be sure that you have a chapter that covers how to weigh yourself several times in a row and believe the lowest reading. [Thanks for the Plank challenge link. They make it look so easy to advance. I'm tempted.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Useful advice in many situations, "I can improve on the next round." Was slapped upside the head by the Nutella video. Long after I stopped putting chocolate in my DD's Christmas stocking, I was putting Nutella. Duh! That's over. (Clever Russians - it's embarrassing how easily our media is diverted.)

CeeJay - Another Kudos for another day on plan. "Man I love typing that." It is a big deal each time you mount that exercise bike and worthy of taking Credit.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Bringing your VitaMix is worthy of Kudos for the control of that part of your food choices that you can. In California the Farmers' Markets might well be local food already - a thought that's hard to imagine from all of the places that get winter.

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts as you're facing the news about your mom and dad. I'm so glad that you're almost on your way down there.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Congrats to your scale for finally getting the message that a pound a week has been leaving the scene. Kudos for "a nice cup of tea" when feeling hungry.

GosfordGirl - Another new book, The Rosary Diet - I'm in for a copy although my patience with small crafts is below minimum. Kudos for doing the TRX straps class. I can't help but notice that all the images google provides are of svelte folks.

ahna - Thanks for sharing your YouTube channel - neat to watch your DS moving constantly. Kudos for choosing a Helpful Response strategy to that desire to binge, "if you think about eating the food, and go through the process in your head, it takes some of the craving/desire to actually do it away."

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

How to Plan

Once you've written your plan, make sure you have the food or the ingredients to made the food. Is there anything you can do today to make tomorrow go more smoothly, such as cutting up vegetables for tomorrow's dinner? Make tomorrow's lunch? Now figure out how you're going to keep your written plan with you throughout the day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 137.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-09-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: 6crowsgold => GosfordGirl
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

I completed Day 3 of The Diet Fix yesterday as well as I’m capable of at the moment. I’m eating more calories than I really want in order to get the protein that the plan demands. I was wondering if there was some high protein flour or something I could sneak into my recipes that would increase the protein without increasing the calories too much.

I turned to the back of the book for inspiration in the recipes and discovered that he does, indeed, use a magic powder – whey isolate protein powder. Sigh. That doesn’t sound very natural to me. The bedrock of my healthy eating style has been “natural.” I’m afraid that if I use whey powder that my brain is going to think that the ingredient list of a candy bar doesn’t look so bad after all.

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +50 355/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ahna: loved seeing your baby in the videos! To fully follow The Diet Fix definitely requires counting calories. There are helpful hints for anyone, though, about how to avoid hunger and cravings -- it's in the timing of the meals and snacks and in the protein content. I'm still keeping an open mind about this, but I'm struggling with how to get more protein without bumping my meat consumption up considerably when I had that at a level I was comfortable with.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I completed Day 3 of The Diet Fix yesterday as well as I’m capable of at the moment. I’m eating more calories than I really want in order to get the protein that the plan demands. I was wondering if there was some high protein flour or something I could sneak into my recipes that would increase the protein without increasing the calories too much.

I turned to the back of the book for inspiration in the recipes and discovered that he does, indeed, use a magic powder – whey isolate protein powder. Sigh. That doesn’t sound very natural to me. The bedrock of my healthy eating style has been “natural.” I’m afraid that if I use whey powder that my brain is going to think that the ingredient list of a candy bar doesn’t look so bad after all....
gardenerjoy In my quest to have at least 25% protein in my day, there are a few things I've found that help. Egg whites have 5 g of protein for only 25 calories, Wallaby Organic Greek Fat Free Yogurt has 23 g of protein in 1 cup, Ezekiel 4:9 cereal is satisfying as a carb and has 8g/serving, and Hake fish (which I can get frozen at Costco) is high protein but low cal and on the 'safe' list. More than anything what has helped is to have only one carb serving per meal and use those calories for protein instead. Also, having only whole grains (or fruit) for my carbs adds to the protein and the fiber is filling.

Last edited by AZtricia; 04-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Tuesday, Fast Day.

Feeling lousy, not sure what's going on. OP so far.

Thump!

Um, BBE, what's a TRX Strap?

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-08-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #74  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Trying to get things wrapped up at work and at home to prep for heading out tomorrow. I met DH for lunch today and apparently him saying how serious this is with my Dad is an effective food limitation tool, because then I was afraid I'd get sick if I ate any more. Walked back in to work, thinking, I need a piece of chocolate (and that's never my "go to" treat, it's typically savory or baguette-ish) ... so went to the vending machines and came away with a bottle of diet tea. Minor success - but frustrated at the thought process that took me there.

I haven't trolled through the rest of 3fc in a while ... and for who knows what reason, I popped into two posts today and was so aggravated that I just zipped back out. I "knew" who one was by from the snarky title and STILL ventured in, and another - the same. I felt so tempted to echo what another member wrote in criticism and then just thought that will lead nowhere I want to go, and *credit* haha. This made me oh SO VERY appreciative for all the supportive thoughts and comments in this forum. No one smacking me down for eating bread or pizza or something that I truly enjoy and think, I don't want to go years until I enjoy X.

Bill - Yesterday I forgot to say that I loved: a weak plan might just get a weak response.Thank you for that line. I like it much better than failing to plan is planning to fail. Seems less harsh.

Will have to check out the Nutella video or as we call it, candy bar in a jar. Or does everyone call it that?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #75  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default pause/paws

Coaches

I'm sitting here feeling like I may be on the other side of the fastest moving cold I have ever had. *credit* for currently sitting upright.

I am fuzzy-headed and have a bit of a sore throat and slight sniffles but I'm really not too bad. If I had a retail job to go to I would make it through the day.

However, I woke up feeling crummy and all I wanted to do was weigh myself and so...I did. BIG MISTAKE. My fuzzy head did not recognize this for the sabotaging thought that it was.

So, since weighing last 8 days ago (my wii fit tells me when/how long it's been-it's actually quite a passive/aggressive scale) I am EXACTLY the same. Like down to the tenth of a lb exact. I had to laugh, at first, then all the feelings of being a failure and "this doesn't work, I'm doing it wrong" and etc. flooded me. I didn't track this morning but I wasn't totally sure I would given how crummy I am feeling. I ate like a free-for-all though but I ate my soup, orange juice, nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, garlic toast with cheese... breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks with the extra being the OJ and the timing and the tracking non-existant. Although I guess I did sort of just track with you just now so *credit*. Anyway that's where I am at. No more weighing in now until May. It looks like I am all or nothing with the scale. I am truly ok with the daily weigh in, caused there are just so many numbers so often it really does take their power away. And with the never weigh in until a month has passed, well nothing to do with the scale for a month. Nothing to fuss about for a month, except the 3 days leading up to the scale reading I will fuss, or stew, a bit. Anyway, this is another change from Beck vs. Dr. Fix It. I'll read day 5 today and give it a whirl tomorrow. I will also go enter my food that I have had so far today. Right back on track.

gardenerjoy I'm having the same issues you mentioned. I too feel I am over-eating to get the protein and am becoming critical of my food choices-like overly critical. I know self-scrutiny is necessary at the beginning and that change needs extra focus/vigilance but you are so right. Beck would have made each of his one days into 2 or 3. I don't ever recall feeling so pressed to do so much so quickly. What's up with that? Being a traumatized dieter, I am easily waylaid by not meeting the perceived expectations of my new diet plan and I feel discouraged really easily. It is hard for me to say "Oh well, next time round," and to keep the faith that I am indeed doing enough. But that is also a function of perfectionism and all or nothing. Wonder if he addresses that, and when? Maybe it is on day 5! I can hope. I am going to see it through and 3 times over I will see it through, but it may be a case of the old overeaters anonymous saying "take what you want and leave the rest". Glad you and Ceejay are on this trip too... looking forward to seeing what the others think as they try it as well. so far, no one has been able to unseat Dr. Beck in terms of solid usable real-world applicable weightloss guidelines. My admiration for her steadily grows.

nationalparker And my admiration of you grows daily as well. credit for not over eating in what continues to be a very stressful time. SO SORRY to hear of your mother's issues now as well. You are doing what you can. You will do what you can. Trust yourself and your choices. Don't fog up your senses with excess food. Glad you are here.

6crowsgold Maybe you're already feeling better?? I hope so!

AZtricia Thank you for posting that very helpful response to gardenerjoy. It was exactly what I needed as well.

BillBlueEyes I checked the link to The Sixth Extinction, this after having watched an episode last night of VICE (do you watch this? If not, you must.) about rhino horn and an unforgettable piece of video related to rhino horn hunting that I won't describe here Really it is all about how man is killing everything and then I also read an essay by Chris Hedges about over-population and how that is the source of all the killing cause we just want all the space in the world to be ours and so given this as I looked over the Amazon page for the book I read this quote by your Boston Globe:
Quote:
"Surprisingly breezy, entirely engrossing, and frequently entertaining... Kolbert is a masterful, thought-provoking reporter." —The Boston Globe
Now if the book is about all that and she manages to make it seem "breezy" that is indeed a masterful writer. Makes me definitely want to read it too. Maybe you won't be *as* depressed afterwards as if, say, Chris Hedges had written it. BTW I have added a chapter to my Weigh the Weight Away diet describing the best type of floor surface on which to place your scale. I am currently making a video on how to incorporate exercise into your step onto the scale. It'll be on the Blue Ray version read by James Earl Jones.
Closed Thread