3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/293340-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 03-01-2014 07:08 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 03-01-2014 07:09 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Thanks for the many congratulations for the streak of 100. My snacks-on-plan streak continues, but I'll stop the public counting at the 100 mark. Perhaps I'll conjure a monthly goal to follow with exercise, but I haven't thought of just what yet. Last night was a great opportunity to ignore a table of snacks that weren't on my eating plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was takeout from the local Thai place. We each brought our 'small' order home; halved it; served and enjoyed. Half of 'small' does become a modest dinner, but sufficient and good practice in moderation. DW added Clementines for balance.

Exercise was a walk and dancing, CREDIT moi. I worked on keeping the walking pace brisk which was easy to remember in the cold.

onebyone – Ouch for the crabby phase of human relationships. Kudos for going forward instead of simply burning down the house or mayhem or murder. Yep, Kudos for giving yourself credit for your "no sugar streak."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for remembering to give yourself a reward. That triggered me so I just Amazoned Kandel's book, The Age of Insight that I so thoroughly enjoyed but had returned to the library. Now I can leisurely reread. Thanks for the reminder.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for completing your project by the end of February - you get to leave both behind.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for all those hurts from working out. LOL at "I would not be the ideal customer I am sure." Enjoyed the links. Neat idea that Edible Balcony - perhaps the solutions to many of the problems of cities.

ladym0208 – Yay for "No choice" about exercise - even at 5:30 am. Wonderful mindfulness, "I just knew it was time to stop."

nationalparker – Will keep your dad's pending lung biopsy in my thoughts as you're all required to just wait for results. Kudos for counting the donut and moving forward.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Just boggling that Fiddler on the Roof keeps on entertaining folks. Neat new avatar.

flnu - Remarkable Kudos for "going unremarkably" - just as it should be as we enjoy life. Happy vacation - hope you see parts of the country new to you.

Readers - Diverting from our normal quotes from Dr. Judith Beck because the world’s favorite Nobel-winning neuroscientist offers a cogent summary of the world’s favorite psychologist, whose work is the basis for what we're doing here.
Quote:

PLACING PSYCHOTHERAPY ON A SCIENTIFIC BASIS: FIVE EASY LESSONS

In the 1960's, Aaron Beck changed all that by introducing several major obvious but nevertheless elegant and beautiful innovations:

...Fourth, he carried out, with the help of several colleagues, progressively better-controlled studies showing that cognitive behavioral therapy worked more effectively than placebos, and as effectively as antidepressants, in mild and moderate depression. In severe depression, it did not act as effectively as an antidepressant but acted synergistically with antidepressants to enhance recovery.
[NB: This ends the Kandel summary despite the discrepancy between 'Fourth' and 'FIVE EASY LESSONS.']

Eric R. Kandel in This Explains Everything, Edited by John Brockman, pg 293

onebyone 03-01-2014 09:20 AM

Farewell February!

Coaches

Saying goodbye to February reminds me I don't have a calendar I like up in the house. I have one from the gas station in Key West, a very patriotic American one. Mostly I have it as it comes from a) Key West and b) the place with the best gas station fried chicken on earth! Not sure how many gas station chicken places there are but I doubt any will rival Dion's in Key West.

My KW sister is coming at the end of this week for a week. Ugh I say as I love her and love to see her but she is a ball of stressful energy. If there is a way to amp something up and to make it hard, she will do it that way. Plus seeing her means I am making my final visit to my brother's house in Ottawa. This is the door closing on that and what seems to be the disappearance of the last traces of my brother. I don't know how many people he allowed into his real life. This thought occupies me sometimes.

Today is Saturday and so I need to get to the gym already as it was Monday when I was last there. 4 days ago. I *credit* weighed and saw the scale move up a tiny bit more to 266.7 today. It's from the salty soup base I added to the stew yesterday but like I said yesterday my weight isn't going down without the exercise so I'd better get to it now. No Choice weights today and cardio.

I guess that's it for this morning. It's still winter out there today.

Have a good day.

gardenerjoy 03-01-2014 10:31 AM

Good morning and welcome to March, a new month beginning on a new moon!

Credit for meeting my exercise goal in February and for increasing my streak of daily exercise to 224.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 26 Credit!
WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +50 1415/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitChick 03-01-2014 03:05 PM

Sorry for the lame check-in, but it is already 3:00 PM and I'm just now getting to do some real work. I planned to be ready several hours ago. Oh, well.

I indulged in 1 too many of my "occasional" snack items yesterday. This morning breakfast wasn't satisfying and ate seconds. Ugh! Stress + hormones = frustration.

Good luck to all!

AZTricia, love the new picture! :)

Lexxiss 03-01-2014 04:44 PM

Hi coaches!

Trying to get caught up in other areas of my life since I know they influence my food choices. Busy at work today I ordered a small lunch instead of grazing.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 25 Credit!

nationalparker 03-01-2014 06:25 PM

I'll add another slim check-in right here ... Have been running errands and walking all over all day long. Left home this morning and still have everything loaded all over the table. I always ALWAYS made homemade meals and especially nicer ones on the weekends. Now some weekends are so busy that prepping, cooking and cleaning up from a nice meal takes too long. Which is a shame, because I enjoy that when I do have the time. I have more turkey italian sausage links from the package and might crumble them up and add to a pasta au gratin with homemade sauce, that way I control the calories. Add in some green beans and we'll be set.

The 8-12" of snow expected is now down to 5-8" ...wonder what we'll actually end up with.

AZtricia 03-01-2014 09:37 PM

Hello Coaches,

It is beautifully rainy here today, but neither pup nor I enjoy walking in the cold wet so exercise has been very short. I did do grocery shopping today, so that is a bit more walking but slower. Whole Foods had the yummy Romanesco so I purchased some. Everyone is cranky tonight, so I'm ready for bed time. Food OP Exercise -

Lexxiss/Debbie :dancer: Hurray! So glad you are done with your rental. And congrats on your new low. Kudos for 25!

ladym0208 Great job skipping dessert when you were full and leaving part of your lunch. Kudos for your long walk.

seadwaters I agree with you about the showers! I could probably handle either hot or cold but alternating would be awful. Teddy is now about 10 lbs (4.5 kg). Interesting about the rooftop farms, I'd never heard of them.

BillBlueEyes Congrats on your continued streak of on plan snacks. Fiddler on the roof was OK, attended for cultural exposure for kiddos...though the "Do you love me" received laughs.

onebyone I hope you are able to enjoy your visit with your sister and don't let her wind you up.

gardenerjoy Kudos on your 100% OP food!

FutureFitChick
Hoping the stress is better now and you are able to be OP.

nationalparker Sounds like you have a great dinner plan, Italian is always a hit here.

ForMyGirls 03-02-2014 01:04 AM

Hello coaches,

It has been a big thinking weekend including trying to work out how i can possibly do everything I need to do in the next month and stay on track with my diet. I also found out last week that the big stress in my life will be almost constant for the next monht (but then it will be over!) The conclusion is that i can't! So i am going to have a month off. Not a month off frfom sensible eating - just a month off frfom planning, tracking, posting etc. i have set up a reminder to start it all up again in a month (so that it doesn't turn into having stopped!)

So i will be reading posts if i have the chance, and posting if i can, but chances are I will rejoin the conversation in April.

Good luck to all my lovely beckmates for the month of April - i look forward to being back with you soon.

ladym0208 03-02-2014 04:09 AM

Good morning coaches,

All in all yesterday was a good day, we went out for lunch as a team and we ended up in a buffet. Having NO CHOICE really helped in this situation as it meant I did not over do it, I left feeling comfortably full and happy with my choices.

My credits for yesterday....

• Stopping when I was full at the buffet and leaving food on the plate
• Making healthier choices at the buffet; rice instead of chips
• Not ordering anything from the menu in addition to the buffet food

Happy Sunday, heres to a good week xx

GosfordGirl 03-02-2014 06:02 AM

Happy Tibetan Buddhist new year Sunday 2nd March

Coaches

A lovely wet day which was needed - yesterday was wet too so both good days to stay in and work.

My food was planned for the day and I stayed on plan - last night however I strayed a bit. Too much happening at the moment

I just made 5000 steps today because I spent all day at the desk - I am a bit over it as still trying to get finished

Will try to catch up tomorrow

onebyone 03-02-2014 07:25 AM

another day like that other one

Coaches

Good Morning. Snowplow guy was just here clearing out our driveway. We've seen him a lot this year.

Well yesterday was another of those I just want to eat eat eat days. I strayed, and then course corrected several times.*credit* Mostly I was standing over the pot of yummy stew as it sat on the stove. It just occurred to me that next time I just simply put it away! Hello? If DH wants a second helping we can nuke it.

*credit* for weighing in: 265.9 this morning.

I craved sweet things all evening-ice cream and cookies. I ate baby carrots. *credit*

And while I did go out, I drove past the gym and did not go in. No exercise yesterday. After posting this here I will do my exercise video and a 1 mile walk. I'm going to experiment with 3-1mile walks today, see how that feels. One in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night. = 40+min = my target time, but it may feel more manageable/doable.

Ok better go.

CREDIT: WATP 1 mile done 2x today. Fitbit tells me I've had 51 active minutes today so I'm done.

BillBlueEyes 03-02-2014 08:07 AM

Sunday - Tibetan Buddhist New Year

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Tried a new class at gym, "Weight Lifting 101," CREDIT moi. Thought it would be easy, but it drove me to my limits. I once could do two sets of full body push-ups, but yesterday I couldn't. My Yoga-style flexibility was wanting. Muscles are a tad sore this morning. A good wake up call that I have work to do. Unfortunately, this particular class is being discontinued; my gym is replacing the experienced teachers with younger, less expensive teachers. I have to continue looking for a place to force myself to stay in shape.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including dinner with friends where I ate moderately: Wild caught Alaskan salmon steak, Kale sautéed with fish sauce, garlic, and sesame oil, lentils with curry, and a fruit salad with a small chocolate truffle for dessert. Felt like I was eating a nutritionist's example meal.

onebyone – Can't believe you've got me drooling for gas station fried chicken. Sending supportive thoughts as you spend time thinking about your late brother. Kudos for baby carrots when ice cream was calling.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a new moon starting a new month. Your continued daily exercising is worthy of Kudos.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for getting back to your life after that massively busy project.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Kudos for staying on plan during a wet day. Thanks for the tip that it's the Tibetan Buddhist New Year.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for frustration and its lure to too many snacks, said the guy who's an expert in too many snacks.

ladym0208 – Kudos for wielding NO CHOICE at that buffet. Extra Kudos for "rice instead of chips."

nationalparker – Love hearing a meal being designed as you type. (I'm suspicious that I love hearing about food anytime, LOL.)

ForMyGirls - Good luck on your month's adventure. You might consider using Beck's notion of a generalized maintenance plan that you don't have to write every day. It can help resist the forces to just fall off a reasonable path. If you get the chance to post, definitely skip personals - we'll do fine. You might be able to design a simplified one-liner like Joy (gardenerjoy) uses that would allow the equivalent of a wave. Whatever you decide, Bon Voyage to a different month.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yep, bed time solves many problems, including cranky. [Thanks for the reminder that every production we enjoy doesn't have to be Academy Award worthy.]

Readers -
Quote:

day 13 Overcome Cravings

I once saw a cartoon depicting a woman looking panicky in her kitchen while food from cabinets, the countertop, table, and refrigerator were talking to her, with balloon text saying, "Eat me! Eat me! Eat me!" Have you ever had a similar experience, when it seemed that food was calling out to you? I certainly have and so has everyone I've counseled. The good news is that even thought foods might continue to call out to you, you can stay in control.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 127.

maryann 03-02-2014 10:15 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Busy weekend. DS has multiple activities culminating in a (relatively) important piano adjudication event today. We will spend all day at it.

Food has been undisciplined. Trying to sit while eating has been like herding cats. (The cats representing my brain.) I am not getting very far.

We will be gone all day. I have lunch packed, dinner will be at a restaurant, this morning will be a smoothie. I have a plan to walk during the written theory portion of his test.

I want to write to all of you tomorrow and declare a 100% victory of sitting while I eat. Weight is a pound above ticker.

Lexxiss: Super congrats on ordering a small lunch instead of grazing.

ForMyGirls: Good Luck with all your work in March.

Ladym0208: Buffets are tough. I can't remember who posted buffet guidelines - maybe Lexxiss - they were good. First plate is a salad. The return trip is small portions of whatever is interesting.

seadwaters: Funny you posted about Tibetan new year. DS marched in the Bokai Parade here yesterday celebrating the New Year.

onebyone: Let un know how the 3 one mile walks went. It might help with the cravings.

BBE: Speaking of flexibility - in my Pilates workout I was able to do an exercise that once eluded me - The Open Leg Rocker. You have to grab your feet and rock your feet back over your head while still holding on. The tricky part is coming back to start position without letting go. Could it be I am getting more flexible as I get older? Hmmm.

nationalparker 03-02-2014 01:09 PM

Why do I make this so hard?

I weighed this morning and with not calling on excuses for higher-sodium stuff yesterday, body cycles, anything - I'm up three pounds since learning of my father's cancer and being back at work with a frenzied, stressful schedlue that extends into the evenings at home every night. (work, not stressed out home)... I cannot continue this momentum. I'm even up 0.4 since committing to a combo effort with DH... though still only a few days in.

I just keep wanting to reach for food. Carbs. And not fruit/veggie carbs. And not just when I'm hungry. The fridge is filled with healthy stuff, waiting for me to cook it up this evening to get us set a bit forward this week ... swapped out last night's meal for something faster as I was working, so that leaves me the same option for tonight. Like Maryann, though, I recognize rabbit hole foods (thank you for mentioning those from time to time on here - keeps me aware of them) and so, I think I'm going to skip that - use the ingredients for something else. I bought several colorful bell peppers and will make some stuffed peppers with carrots, onions, some rice and some ground turkey sausage. That will come up lighter/healthier.

OneByOne - thank you for posting as that made me feel less alone with MY I just want to eat, eat, eat day. Nothing high-calorie, but plenty of this and that.

ForMyGirls - I'm sorry to hear that you have such a challenging month ahead of you. Best of luck balancing everything, and remember to still take care of YOU.

Bill - Your Beck note today resonates with me and my kitchen this weekend. So much is calling to me. Hopefully the veggies start calling louder.

AZTricia - Love the new avatar and glad to hear that you found a caring, capable groomer. You rocked your pizza night - many credits there.

SeadWaters - Hope this week is a good one for you - any particular challenges you'll be facing?

GardenerJoy - Yes, CREDITS for meeting your February exercise goal and thank you for putting the idea in my mind for March.

Why do I make this so freaking hard? :?: I was finding success and self-satisfaction in eating smaller portions.

Will get out to shovel snow here soon - and to clean the ice off my car so it'll be easier tomorrow morning. More snow on its way - not a whole bunch so far.