Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #211  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Okay, Bill - that scene with your wife and the dark choc cracked me UP Good read.

I can honestly say that foodwise, I'm thankful I'm only off two days. Today was not great - snacked more than I needed to. They're not BIG snacks, but still not things I tracked to count and I should have - a few pistachios (they're black peppers ones from Trader Joe's and not really that great... I like the plain ones much better ... a few almonds. I notice a trend. hm. Then a slice of cheese and turkey pepperoni. And 10 sixlets (like round m&ms) ... hm. Dinner was light/late so a small respite.

Tomorrow I'm reporting a great day - that's my goal. Will be a high-stress work day - reports going out to a committee in the afternoon and much to do. I will bring my lunch and eat at my desk, but at least the calories are limited.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #212  

Default Sunday

Good morning Coaches,

We are just entering the rainy season here in Rwanda and I woke up to a very rainy Kigali this morning. My new team arrive from the UK today and I am looking forward to meeting them all and fully getting back into the swing of things. The countdown calendar says I have 68 days left here so I'll be sure to make the most of it as I know it will fly by very quickly.

Yesterday was a good day, I met with a friend and we ended up going out to lunch, although this was not planned and I would usually use this as an excuse to over indulge, I took my time to select something from the menu that would keep me OP I also avoided ordering dessert even though we were sat with a full on view of the cake counter the whole time!! This took some resistance, even after I left the cafe I was still getting thoughts telling me I should stop somewhere to pick up some cake but I am glad I managed to resist. I also got in a nice unplanned walk after lunch.

Happy Monday all xx
Old 03-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday evening

Dear coaches

The end of my difficult day Monday (so called by me Monster Monday) so I only have time for a brief check in. Will get back tomorrow for personals

Credits
  • Ate on plan today - 95%
  • Planned food for tomorrow - yes
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed in and logged weight - down 1.8 pounds - back to 193
  • I did planned exercises - yes - dog walk and walking to and from university car park - about 8000 steps plus about 16 min of active exercise
  • I didn't eat standing up - 90% - had planned to try snacks at health food store
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - yes x 3
  • I changed my schedule to allow time for diet and exercise - schedule already allowed me to include lots of incidental walking
Have a good Monday coaches
Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #214  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Allotted my planned morning snack to a hot, fresh made fortune cookie! I never imagined that fortune cookies could be made by mortal human beings. It was that special kind of good that made me want to reach for another, which I resisted, CREDIT moi. I also resisted a bunch of other food including a broken oatmeal raisin cookie. Broken cookies have traditionally slipped past all my safeguards - marching in under that safe looking Sabotaging Thought, a broken piece is too small to matter. Culminated an on plan food day when DS (unusually alone since his SO was traveling) came for dinner. Being a joyful event, large servings and seconds were the norm. I did neither. CREDIT moi for recognizing that joyful didn't justify off plan food.

Exercise was dancing in the afternoon, CREDIT moi, to a caller whom I remembered first hearing in the '60's. He claimed to recognize me - a stretch - but definitely remembered the place when I mentioned the name of the fiddler who'd played with him (a friend of mine). Fun to feel connected with the distant past.

onebyone – Welcome Spring Plan - Yay for renewal. Thanks for always demonstrating, "open to change vs. giving up."

CeeJay - Nine consecutive on-plan days is so neat. Kudos for your list of credits.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Goodbye "Monster Monday" - glad you don't come but once a week. Sounds like you're getting good use of that motivational recording.

ladym0208 – It's so satisfying to plan for one pastry and to know that you can stop there - Kudos. Yay for a 20 minute walk. Kudos for resisting cake even after facing it during your meal.

nationalparker – Why, Yes, my advanced tree-nut sensor detects a trend in your snacks. If you look at me you'll notice that a lifetime of too many tree nuts results in gray hair. Be warned.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
.......When you experience a craving
because you see or smell food, move the food
..to an inconvenient place or get rid of it- or

.....remove yourself from the scene.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 131.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Ok, coaches, done with the weekend and on-plan for Monday. 30 minutes on the elliptical today and a 5k yesterday in 36:52, so I made my goal. My new goal is under 36. But under 37 is already a real reach for me, so I imagine it will take a while. I finally finished Fat, Salt, Sugar, and I’ll have to consider my next diet/food read. I’m thinking about Diet Fix.

BBE: Credit for more wise choices. And for dancing!

Cheryl: Yay for down 1.8 pounds and double-yay for rocking the behaviors.

Ladym0208: Well done at lunch.

Nationalparker: I love that you are reporting a great day tomorrow. I look forward to the re-cap.

Ceejay: Thank you for posting when things weren’t going well because, personally, it is so encouraging to see the turn-around and to remember that everyone has off-periods. And doing what you can, even if it is only posting, is enough.

Onebyone: I get why you’d be upset, but I don’t get the trainer’s disappointment. The trainer, of all people, should be trying to trouble-shoot with you. If the trainer’s approach isn’t working, for whatever reason, then a new approach is called for, and the trainer should have that oomph, no? Personalization.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #216  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quick Checking for missed on Sunday. Picnic went fine. Thanks, ladym0208, for the idea of taking what I can eat. I ate only my main dish, a few raw veggies, and a couple bites of watermelon. The boys wanted to watch Frozen, so we did part before the picnic and finished after. With all the cooking and packing tables & stuff to bring I wasn't on the computer all day.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #217  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Monday Team:

Sunday fell apart later in the afternoon. I took my son to the confectioner's for a reward and ended up buying a scoop of everything I'd craved over the week. I left with 4 little bags of treats and he got 1. I thought I'd pace myself. What's wrong with this picture?

The rest of the weekend I was caught in the Tractor Beam of the 4 Little Bags, feeling helpless. By the time I was into the Last Bag Standing, I thought, "Heck, I have to eat these and get 'em out of here!".

To my flimsy credit, I did total the damage at around 1000 calories.

This morning, I've spent hours on a big Re-Think of my plan and tactics. I re-read pertinent Beck sections. I went over all the errors in thinking that went on over the weekend. I took a closer look at what I'm doing during the week. Had an anxiety attack of sorts. Caught my breath, and made some changes. Two big ones:

1)I need to have a written plan for the day, not just record what I eat as I eat it.

2) I need a No Choice sign when it comes to having trigger foods in the house. I just can't seem to handle them so it looks like a "No Choice" on the candy store trips.

Credit for doing the work of the Re-Think. I'm new at this. It takes time.

Today I'm eating approved calories at appointed times, not just grazing and counting.

There is no candy in the house. [Because I ate it all...] DH can take DS out to the candy store for a treat if it needs doing.

Thanks for being here, even reading my post.

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 03-24-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #218  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Blue.

Coaches

I'm really down in the dumps today. Truthfully, I've felt like this most of the week. I have little motivation for anything, though I keep trying. Eventually it will stick. *credit weighed in, changed ticker, up 1.3lb from last week. I'm feeling bleak. Raising my ticker did not help. I wish the spring would come already. I've really had it. Think I'll go do something productive. Bye for now.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Not one of my favorite mornings ever. I spent it in the worlds of the IRS and Social Security. Last year SS declared me dead and the IRS would not accept my taxes. It took several months to be declared alive but still the IRS rejects the taxes electronically.

Credits:
I prayed for patience and brought a meditation book to the SS office.
I wrote down my food plan which I have maintained at 95%.
I did not raise my voice at the SS employee who continued to interrupt me and declared there was no evidence of me having been dead, that the phone help that directed me to the field office was inaccurate (somehow my fault), and that there was absolutely nothing she could do about it; it was an IRS issue. (I did get a little rebellious when I said," I have let you finish your sentences now let me finish mine" in a firm tone. Immediately I thought security would take me away. But being firm is not a scene and I am not a doormat still I hate conflict.)
I stayed on the phone for another hour with IRS while food shopping because I had to get it done and I was on hold for so long.
I did not buy sweets at the supermarket while on the phone (but I thought about it.)
I took step class before the whole debacle.

I did not weigh myself this morning. Rare. I felt it would only be demoralizing after bad sleep and some physical issues. I will weigh tomorrow.

onebyone: I am sorry you are down. I feel very much the same way. I made a decision this morning that I would get through four things and I would feel crumby through them and then be down later but at least I got through four things.

flnu: What did you think of Fat, Salt, Sugar?

Ladym0208: I hope your new team is terrific and energetic.

Last edited by maryann; 03-24-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check in tonight coaches.

Day TEN!!! Done. Going to weigh myself tomorrow. And then start another 10 days.

Credit today for:
-eating on plan and healthy
-reading advantage and response cards
-checking in with my coaches
-declining an invitation to lunch and eating healthy instead
-planning tomorrow
-listening to motivation tape

Take care everyone
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #221  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,

Monday has been a good day. I took youngest ds to an assessment for dyslexia...yes I'm right & he is, and the doctor has a great recommendation for therapy (where she is taking her daughter). Good news is his eyes are great, 20/20 with good tracking and excellent visual skills. The boys all rushed through school today to watch Frozen again before our rental expires.

OP day today for food, actually low calorie and extra exercise, walked pup 3X, DVD, plus 3 miles on the treadmill while the boys swam.

maryann I'm sorry you had a difficult Saturday and that your ds did not do as well as he hoped. Looks like you are steadily recovering your maintenance weight - awesome! Oh my, what a morning...IRS and SS both, yikes. After that tomorrow must be a better day!

nationalparker
I agree with your opinion on mayo, lots of calories and every restaurant adds 4X what is needed. Hope you survived your stressful Monday.

CeeJay
Kudos for an OP weekend. 10 awesome days! Can't say I'd like -20 brr! Yesterday was up to about 80, perfect for a picnic with a slight breeze and no humidity. By the time your temperature is nice, ours will be unbearably hot. Whoohoo for your healthy choices, great credits.

GosfordGirl/Cheryl Awesome for OP eating Sunday and Monday. Great job exercising and congrats on being back to 193. 8000 steps is great!

BillBlueEyes I lucked out that dh doesn't like TJ dark chocolate, so I don't have to share Hot fortune cookies sound delicious. I always enjoy your posts.

ladym0208 Happy to hear you are enjoying your salads and were able to stop with one pastry. Kudos for your walk! Glad to hear you enjoyed lunch with a friend while staying OP and resisting the very visible cake.

onebyone Hope your new and improved Spring plan is satisfying and helpful. I understand not wanting to disappoint the trainer, that is part of their ability to motivate people, giving accountability face to face. Hope you are able to get those pounds gone and earn your ring soon. Sorry you are feeling blue, winter always did that to me in the mid-west. It is hard!

flnu Wow, lots of exercise! Hope you enjoy whatever book you pick next.

6crowsgold Hard lesson, but it sounds like it is learned, with a better plan for the future. I find by taking lactobacillis to rebalance my gut ecology that sugar just tastes too sweet and I no longer crave it. Really awesome re-plan and taking the time to think & make changes. You are on the right track!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #222  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Monday. Done.

Food, not to bad. 3 miles of general movement. No formal exercise. Still sore from yesterdays long strength training workout.

We delivered a baby calf at work this afternoon. BIG baby boy.

Tomorrows food is planned and it's a walking day. Supposed to be 48 degrees.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday evening

Hi Coaches

I am finding it difficult to fit things in in the evening. Monday I come home from monster monday knackered and needing to regroup, Tuesday I get home late after gym, and wednesday I teach until late so get home late.

Last night I collided with some popcorn after I posted and it was not on plan. I haven't eaten home made popcorn from scratch for decades. I think I will begin to include it in my plans

Credits
  • Ate on plan today - 100% but I planned a bit much
  • Planned food for tomorrow - almost
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed in and logged weight - yes up 1 pound
  • I did planned exercises - yes - went to gym after work. 8000 plus steps as well
  • I didn't eat standing up - 100%
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - yes x 2
  • Scheduled time for diet and exercise - yes - spent time planning this morning and worked out work schedule to get away in time for gym

BillBE - you do crack me up - loved the chocolate story and the revelation about the nature of long term relationships. Fresh fortune cookies sound unusual. I like the current messages about cravings from Beck - need to see them

Onebyone - your plan for the trainer sounds good. They don't have the right to be proud or disappointed - it is all up to you. I refuse to be weighed or have fitness judged by my PR. You can get by on your current plans so that is great. Stay strong with your "eye on the prize"

flnu - Credit for 30 mins on the elliptical - I can barely move it so have great admiration. Yay for 36.52 - you are really pushing

6crowsgold - Huge credit for re-planning and strategising after the weekend. Sound like you have it all under control

CeeJay - 10 days on plan - huge! Credit for making all the changes you have to re-energise your progress. Thanks for the idea that being rigid in my plan in terms of what I can and can't eat. I need to smarten up my plan. Hope the scale reflects your great efforts, but if it doesn't tomorrow it will!

Nationalparker - hoping for a report of a great day . Sending supportive vibes to help with a high stress day and al desko eating

Ladym0208 - love your stories of Africa. Great credits resisting cake and other non-planned food. Resisting a cafe menu is a big credit

Maryann - great control when dealing with rigid bureaucracies and bureaucrats. I totally get not weighing when you know the result won't be what you want. But I am trying to turn it into data

Tricia- Great credits for exercise. You are doing so well there.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #224  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - National Agriculture Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library where I asked my favorite librarian where to buy those plastic covers placed on library books. I have a favorite book whose dust jacket shows a painting that's part of the story; I'd hate to lose it over time. She reached under the counter; grabbed a cover and demonstrated putting it on my book. Voila, problem solved. I, of course, remain ignorant about how to do this myself the next time I need it since I don't think this to be a normal library service.

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included left over vegetable soup for dinner. We consumed it with a huge square matzah each - one amazing amount of food for 100 calories. I find myself with matzah once every handful of years and really like it. A box had wandered into our lives for some strange reason. Only snack was a California Navel Orange in the evening. Today's the day to thank all those working Agriculture who feed us. Thinking particularly of those in California trying to do so with limited water. Thanks all!

onebyone – The end of winter blahs are just the worst. Kudos for checking in anyway with such an upbeat, "Think I'll go do something productive."

CeeJay - Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos Kudos! You're rocking this.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Gotta love the phrase, "knackered and needing" - demonstrating, once again, that English isn't for sissies. Hope you figure a way to conquer those challenging evenings.

maryann - Awesome! You've become Schrödinger's cat - you're both alive and not at the same time. Super Kudos for food shopping while on hold with the IRS. When you write up this story do send it to the New Yorker; it's clearly their kind of tale.

janelle (shcirerf) - Delivering a calf sounds like the best job ever. If one's work requires jumping to somebody else's schedule, I'd just as well jump to a cow's than a desk-sitting boss.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Neat that you have a recommendation for a therapist for dyslexia. Yay for 20/20 eyes.

flnu - Congrats for making a goal for yourself in running the 5K and then reaching it. Fat, Salt, Sugar made me so angry that I'm such a sucker for big food's manipulations.

6crowsgold - It's a proud credit - to total what's eaten so that you stay in the game; Kudos for that as well as "a big Re-Think of my plan and tactics."

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques

4. Distract yourself . . .
You'll probably initially find that you need a pretty strong distraction to get your attention off the food you crave. Many dieters try to distract themselves by watching TV or reading. I've found that most of the time these kinds of activities are just not compelling enough. If they work for you, that's fine. but you'll also find a number of activities that are potentially more distracting in My Distraction Activities Chart on the facing page. Try as many as you can and assess how effectively each works. Rate each on a scale of 0 to 10.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 133.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #225  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Tuesday!

Monday went well, having been planned in advance and better timing throughout the day. 100% OP.

Today is one of my two "Fast" days per week-500 cal which I'll take in the form of soy protein shakes. These days are actually easier for me than having to make a real plan!

Thanks for the encouragement this week!
Closed Thread