Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #76  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches,

Having an OP day, but used all of my calories today. Part was that I ate on the road between stores grocery shopping then had a larger than average snack...but had a low cal dinner to balance and I'm fine. Still full, actually. I hurt my back, so I've only been walking for exercise as it spasms when I twist or reach. Hoping it will be better tomorrow. Good news is the scale was down another pound, puppy is doing much better, and I've stocked up on healthy food for the week (a whole box of oranges from Costco).

Eating OP, Exercise OP-, will read my ARC's when done here, -1 lb

onebyone
Sorry your friend was insensitive. So glad you found a positive motivation.

bethFromDayton
Hope you enjoyed the Museum and are having a great trip.

BillBlueEyes Great job dealing w/ bagels. Congrats on your happy scale. And you are right, pizza never lasts even 12 hours here. The folk dancing sounds fun, great job resisting the snacks. Thanks for the reminder that sticking to the plan is "good for me."

flnu Congrats on down 2 and OP!!! Thanks for the encouragement, I know pre-Beck I would not have waited and I'd probably have had 3 or more slices...so progress, though slow. Hope your coming weight loss will allow you to take fewer meds. Just the changes I've made so far have my blood sugars much better!

Lexxiss Hurray for a food plan and a nice streak going! Great job noticing your feel better on track! Congrats for following your plan!!

gardenerjoy Congrats on a streak of 5 and your weight loss, every little bit helps.

FutureFitChick
Hope you had a great weekend on your own and enjoyed writing.

maryann The strike sounds very stressful, I hope that things are settled soon, hope you enjoy the mountain and are able to finish your scrapbook. Do you paper scrap?

nationalparker Welcome back, hope the walking rev'd your metabolism If you don't quit you will reach your goal!

seadwaters Congrats on 7000 steps, a plan and logging. Your bar sounds yum. I'm glad you have the great resistance muscle to divide it and plan to spread out the calories.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches.

I didn't log my food yesterday or today. I was pretty discouraged about my work today. I feel like I need to put all of my time in to writing now, and that I am spending a lot of time dealing with food/weight issues. I considered giving up until after my deadlines. But, I did spend several hours tonight prepping salads and veggie sides for the week. This was a better response for my health and I hope it is enough to deal with my time issues. We'll see.

I only did part of my PT. Posting here, so credit for that.

Maryann, you sound like you handled that meeting superbly. How incredibly exhausting that must have been! Hang in there and I hope you can be recharged by your change of scenery. As for me, I am finishing my dissertation, this semester, I hope. (I have said that the previous TWO semesters and did make it.) I'm not feeling like things are very different right now, but I have to work through this to get to the end.

NationalParker, ahhhh. Your cruise sounds awesome! I hope the scale isn't too mean to you!

SeaDWaters, your bars sound delicious. Hope you get some restful sleep tonight and feel great in the morning!

Lexxiss, mmmmm, grapefruit! It is awesome that your food plan helped you out so much during stress. That is great.

BillBlueEyes, great job for sticking to your plan, even with all of the healthy food temptation.

flnu, his "hack-a-thon" is a very large group of college students that are getting together to write software code for various projects. They basically set it up to work non-stop for 36 hours. It sounds awful to me in so many respects. Enjoy the time with your girls and enjoy the return of hubby.

GardenerJoy, hope the execution of your plan worked out!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #78  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

We head back home Sunday and get back to the airport around 10 p.m. ... then to dig the car out of the economy lot, it sounds like. Wish we'd remembered the shovel.

Today was op for breakfast and dinner but lunch was high. Will not count it as starting my streak. Aiming for tomorrow.

Will be hard to leave my folks, as it has been the last few visits, but have a return flight booked for April. Spent good time with folks, brother and dh tonight.

Good to catch up on the posts...hope for personals time soon...

Last edited by nationalparker; 02-09-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday night

Good afternoon/evening Coaches

I am starting early to be sure I get time to post properly - and I have come back several times over the evening - I don't know why I am having so much trouble staying on top of things - I seem to be struggling to stay on top of everything. That's where a plan helps of course but still...

Food has been on plan so far - I planned to eat lunch at the gym after I worked out. Their food bar is actually pretty unique - they do meals with 150g (5 oz) of protein of choice (beef, tuna, salmon, kangaroo, chicken), choice of veggies or salads to go with it, sauce or flavouring for the meat. I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea. Only use EV olive oil, let you know what has gluten or sugar added etc. I have to say I really do like this gym - now I just have to keep remembering that when it is difficult to make the time for it.

Exercise was walking dogs and the gym - I did the same things that I did with the trainer the other day and survived. I like that he has found a way to include a little bit of high intensity interval stuff - I am not up to much really. I do 15 second sprints in each minute on the bike. I manage about 8 of those ATM and do about 2.5 km. Telling you of my progress made me think I should track it so I just went and added it to my weight record.

Credits today: had a plan and food OP; logged food in MFP; weighed myself and logged my weight; walked to 7,000 steps; exercised; posted to coaches; ate sitting down - 60% (cooking at sink )

Maryann - we are also looking to industrial action and it is always difficult to know who the good guys are. I believe in unions and workers rights etc but it is not always clear. Credit for holding them accountable. I like the idea that project managing your diet and weight loss produces generalisable benefits. Down with the sabotaging voice "you're on vacation..." - credit for sticking to your eating rules
Beth(FromDayton) - hope all is going well at the museum and you are having a great time!
Debbie (Lexxiss) - Credit for a streak of 5 - recycling meals makes life easier. Hope your nap did good.
Bill(BlueEyes) - A streak of 80 is pretty impressive. You do seem to have a fun exercise regimen. I am not brave enough to try the Zumba at the gym yet - would probably kill me anyway at this point. It took me ages to track down Jicama here a while back - found it in Asian stores and called Yam Bean - pretty good
flnu - for having to go on an ACE inhibitor - hopefully time on with a healthy lifestyle will make that unnecessary. Congratulations on the 2 lb down!
Joy (gardenerjoy) - keep on streaking. It is nice to see you here regularly - we need it. Glad what you have at home is better than what is on offer at your event
Tricia(AZ) - Credit for all those credits! Glad the pup is doing better at last - hope you all are too. Good to balance the books when you have to rearrange your plan. Oranges sound so good - a bit of sunshine in your winter - absent here (with any quality anyway)
FutureFitChick - I know what discouraged feels like especially with all those competing demands. Huge credit for planning and preparing to make it possible to follow your weight loss goals while doing what you have to. Glad things are slowly progressing with your PT
Nationalparker - hope the trip home is uneventful and that you can get the car out. Sad to leave your family.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Sorry for my silence. After the stress of last week i needed to go and hide in my emotional cave for a while. The last few days have felt like there was a thick piece of foam rubber between me and being alive. I could see it, i could hear it, but i couldn't really feel it. Anyway this morning i woke up enthusiastic to be alive and have had a productive happy, connected to life day.

The other good news is that while in my cave i ate pretty well. Exercise and other health activities mostly went by the wayside and i wasn't planning or monitoring my food, but i was mostly making good choices so i don't think i will have gone backwards.

Credits: all of the above; being kind to myself last week and accepting that i needed some time to get back to myself.

Food ? <80 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? no ; Drank 2L water? no ; Went to bed on time? no ; Streak count: 0

Nearly bedtime so personals will have to wait till tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking the Boston Globe Travel Show for three hours, CREDIT moi. Hardly aerobic, but it was tiring. The booths were staffed with native Koreans, Thai, Malaysian, and Dominican Republic workers - English speaking with alluring ascents. I'm ready to travel everywhere. The most attractive: Maine. Yep, right next door Maine produced a woman throwing an ax at a target - not a hatchet, an ax. And served a buckwheat pancake that was gluten free, no dairy, no eggs, and no sugar; didn't know that pancakes could be so good without all that stuff. Later walked to the movie, American Hustle, with DW, for a fun evening. I recommend that you see it before someone spills all its secrets - the joy is getting surprised by the hustlers.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks to streak to 81. This worked because I planned two snacks and lunch for the travel show. (I could have added the evening snack to make it three, but that seemed a stretch.) Again, Maine delivered. I accepted their low-bush blueberry thing made with buckwheat flour topped with maple ice cream as my lunch entree; found a table to eat it sitting down. Hardly nutritionally beneficial, but acceptable calories and it made me very happy. It helped me ignore the bowl of offered candy at every single booth. Maybe 200 pieces of candy ignored; they get their own CREDIT moi since some were dark chocolate and some were interesting.

The Caribbean locations all pushed escape to being pampered which didn't appeal to me. None displayed their birds, wildlife, or hiking trails. Instead: Gorgeous bodies on gorgeous beaches with formally-dressed waiters serving exotic drinks. DW and I, exposing that much skin, would certainly turn heads within that crowd, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm encouraged watching you use planning to get through food-laden events.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – First time I've heard a good report about gym food - you've found a winner. Kudos for progress in exercising.

FutureFitChick – Kudos for suffering through making choices about your writing, exercising, and eating - when all three are necessary.

maryann - Yay for a little bit of wet out there even with the Ouch for losing that snow. Kudos for recognizing that you need to stay away from food while on lockdown.

nationalparker – Waving as you fly overhead on your way home - more or less, LOL. Remembering to put a shovel in your car's trunk would have taken serious forethought.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Super Kudos both for being so aware of your "cave" and for staying your plan even when buffered by the "thick piece of foam rubber."

AZtricia - Drooling for "a whole box of oranges from Costco" - hope you get your share out of those. Congrats on that pound gone.

flnu - My belief is that weight loss and exercise will, indeed, help with hypertension - keep the faith and keep on trucking.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

Are you concerned about being hungry? When I ask dieters this question, they invariably answer no - initially. But when I suggest today's exercise, most of them become uncomfortable. Some have said, "I'm not concerned about it, I just didn't want to be hungry." It turned out, though, that there was more to it. They were anxious. At some level, they didn't know if they could actually tolerate being hungry.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 121.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #82  
Green Tomatoes

I had an extra snack yesterday under a complicated, but not entirely unusual set of circumstances. I'm going to have to think about how to handle the situation better in the future. I'm better at the ones that I can plan ahead. Situations that arise because something doesn't go according to plan are harder. And, yet, I can predict that it will happen again, I just don't know when. I can surely figure out some way of working with that.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 6 Credit!

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +45 420/1400 minutes for February, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

flnu: weight loss and exercise allowed me to get off my hypertension medication. The best day of my entire weight loss journey was the one when the doctor took me off that medication. Have you tried other medications? I was on several different ones over a period of more than a decade and some worked better than others and some had fewer side effects than others. Also, some were cheaper than others and, for me, the cheaper ones often worked better than the more expensive ones.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #83  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

hi Coaches!

Weighed, wrote my food plan(beside the refrigerator) and am writing a post. Streak 6. Credit.

Today was a very long day....I tried posting before I went to the project....too many skiers using our cell towers. I spent the day on the floor of our renovation working on the old douglas fir flooring which I'm going to refinish. Lots of exercise. I have water boiling for dinner...must get going.

flnu, my BP numbers improved after 3-4 months on a very healthy diet even though I had only lost 20 more pounds. My cholestrol has been slower to reach better numbers but it still improves every year. South Beach isn't low carb it's healthy carb....lots of veggies/fruits.

Ok., dinner time. Take care everyone! I work at the restaurant for the next 2 days. I'll try to check in before I leave but my no snacking sign was so effective I'm sure to hang one again.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #84  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello this Sunday evening, coaches,

Today has been an OP day, made polenta (which spell check wants to make into tadpole Eww!) to go with our chicken for dinner and my diet plan liked that, lots on positive NQ points.
Walked the doggie three times and will probably go again before bed as it is not too cold tonight. Had to open the windows because it was 77 upstairs and that is just too warm for sleeping on flannel sheets! Though it looks like I need to give up any hope of more winter as our temps are headed towards 80s by midweek

Eating OP, Exercise OP, read ARC+

FutureFitChick
Sorry you are discouraged, credit for pre-planning salads and veggies.

nationalparker
Hope you are home safely and were able to uncover your car. Looking forward to seeing your new streak. Glad you had a good visit with family.

seadwaters Sounds like a great food bar at your gym, kangaroo?!?! Not something you'd find here. What does that taste like? Nice that you are able to repeat your session like with your trainer-great job! Congrats on 7000 steps. Do oranges grow there? They are a cold season fruit for us, but they grow in AZ.

ForMyGirls Good job taking care of your needs. Hope your stress level is lower this week.

BillBlueEyes The show sounds intriguing. Why was the lady from Main throwing an ax? Is it some competition they have there? The pancakes sound yum. Wow for 81, you are doing great! Kudos for leaving behind all the tempting chocolate.

gardenerjoy Great job on your streak of 6!

Lexxiss Congrats on your streak, almost a week! The flooring sounds beautiful. Love your plan to hang the successful signs, great job!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Arrow Schapelle Corby is released and dominates our news

Coaches

Had a bit of a disaster last night. Thought I had planned dinner but by the time I had posted and done chores it was late, and then I wasn't going to eat, and then I made 2 pieces of gluten free toast and avocado and vegemite. Definitely what I would not plan to have. Haven't done that for quite a while. So tonight I have already made dinner and made lunch for tomorrow even though I am working at home. Lunch today was unplanned except that I knew I was eating at one of 2 places. The cafe in the bldg where I sometimes work in the city has been closed for semester break so I wasn't sure where I would get lunch. Too difficult to take lunch on days like today. The cafe was open and I had a prawn laksa (full of allowable foods). Really difficult to estimate what the nutritional values are but I logged it in MFP as best I could.

I parked in the free carpark spot today rather than pay to park close to the office. It meant I had to walk further than usual and I did it with not much difficulty - credit for progress and I saved myself money into the bargain.

Tomorrow is my last 'free' PT session - have to decide if I will keep "him" on - I might decide to keep PT to once per fortnight just to keep me on track

Credits today: had a plan and food OP; logged food in MFP; weighed myself and logged my weight; walked to 8,600 steps; posted to coaches; ate sitting down - 80%

ForMyGirls - Credit for surviving a critical period and finding a way to preserve your self and maintain your good choices with food. Nice to see you back
Bill (BlueEyes) - Credit for eating delicious and novel food while maintaining the needed sitting down. And of course credit for your continued streak. I agree, hedonistic holidays have lost their appeal - one needs more to entice. Not sure a woman throwing an axe would do it for me though
Joy (gardenerjoy) - So hard to plan for unexpected contingencies - hard to plan for the unexpected. Yay for a streak of 6
Debbie(Lexxiss) - Glad this is the last project! The flooring sounds amazing. Credit for finding a way to contain snacking
Tricia (AZ) - Credit for OP eating and exercise. Glad the doggie is better and sounds like you are taking full advantage of his need for exercise. (I don't tend to eat kangaroo but it is a very good meat - I am just squeamish. Oranges are a cold season fruit here too but there is nothing available at the moment that is not jet lagged)

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 02-10-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #86  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

After yesterday's lack of internet, I'm trying for an earlier check in.

Weighed, wrote my food plan(sticky on my computer) and am writing a post. Streak 7. Credit.

I had a gratitude moment as I was perched on the side of the bathtub balancing myself while hosing down a mini blind. Weightloss has opened up so many long forgotten physical feats, even when they aren't on my list of "fun activities".

AZTricia, I am very envious of your weather right now, although I don't always fare well when it's super hot, especially at night, even though our high altitude nights always get cool.

BBE, great that you could stay OP by planning an extra snack for the travel show AND have a lunch which was not your usual fare. Kudos for planning in advance...a nice tool AlaBeck.

I went to bed early after a busy project day and now I'm wide awake. I'm going to try for an extra hour but my mind is just buzzing.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Credits: sorely tempted to have a hot chocolate that was not on plan today and I said “I may want that hot choc a lot - but I want to lose weight more”; about a month ago I put together a “daily schedule” to enable me to fit all my healthy life habits and frugal spending habits into my busy life and today I worked off it for the first time (even though last week was my first week back to work it was too all over the shop to try the schedule) - I printed it out and kept checking in to see where I was meant to be up to and it worked really well; found a way to ride my bike one way today even though I had to be in too early to ride in this morning

Food ? 90 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? yes ; Drank 2L water? yes ; Went to bed on time? yes ; Streak count: 1

Joy - I liked your thinking on predicting that there will be unpredictable things. I look forward to hearing your plan for handling them! I also found really helpful a comment you posted sometime last week about the reality that it in a world where our eating environment is so messed up (you put it much more eloquently!) planning is a reasonable thing to need. I really struggle with the need to plan - I have a lot of stuff arguing against it about ‘normality’ being just making good spontaneous choices. Your comment made me think about / accept that if we didn’t live in ‘normality’ then maybe ‘normality’ isn’t going to work!

AZTricia - kangaroo is yummy - I don’t think to get it very often, but I like it when I do. I have a friend who makes a dish with roo mince that he calls “Chilli con Skippy” (and as I type I realise “Skippy” might be just an Aussie show”

Lexxis - loved your cleaning story. “Having energy to clean my house regularly” is on my ARC. It is starting to come true too :-)
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The dining room table remains covered with the brochures from the Travel Show. I've pared it down to half. Alaska remains the largest stack possibly reflecting that it's super high on my gotta-go list. I've got one handout - a plastic thingy on a neck cord - that I still can't figure out what it's for. DW will begin to grouse after a few days if it isn't all cleared away.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Snacking was limited to my evening California Navel Orange so streak goes to 82. Exercise included a second walk, CREDIT moi, with no purpose except to admire the snow. At noon I had coffee with friends; one had walked 3.5 miles to join us and would have to walk that back home. She wasn't nibbling from the table of goodies so that helped remind me that active folks don't need as much nibbling. I visualized myself an active person and found it easy to ignore the snacks.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep: Life - it's complicated. Tell me when you figure out how to handle events with food at 4pm and events with breakfast at 9:30am. These tweak me big time.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Love the details of your renovation: "the old douglas fir flooring." Kudos for facing it with its predictable, "Lots of exercise." Thanks for the visual of the day, "bathtub balancing myself while hosing down a mini blind."

Cheryl (seadwaters) – That Schapelle Corby story is compelling. Looks like three years before she sets foot again in Australia. Yay for FREE parking with exercise. And Yay for vegemite that I wish were sold in sample packets to I could get a single taste every year or so.

ForMyGirls - Gotta love the name, “Chilli con Skippy.” Kangaroo just doesn't make it to our stores. Stellar response, “I may want that hot choc a lot - but I want to lose weight more.”

AZtricia - Around here we can buy polenta (just got the 'tadpole' suggestion) in tubes - for those who can't boil water, LOL. Yay for lots of dog walking.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

When people who struggle with dieting get hungry, they often feel hunger pangs intensely. The sensation can feel like an emergency. All their attention gets focused on how uncomfortable they feel - and when and where they can get food. They begin to think they won't be able to stand feeling that way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 121.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #89  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMyGirls View Post

kangaroo is yummy - I don’t think to get it very often, but I like it when I do. I have a friend who makes a dish with roo mince that he calls “Chilli con Skippy” (and as I type I realise “Skippy” might be just an Aussie show”
Just calling in briefly to say and to say that Skippy, Skippy, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo was part of my childhood.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches.

I never made it to my check in yesterday, but am checking in now. I spent most of Saturday and Sunday trying to determine why and repair the reason my laptop keeps crashing. I don't have time for that!! Uck! So, I am posting via iPad, so I won't do personals right now.

Food yesterday was OP. Did not track food. Did PT. PT this morning was fine, but nothing exciting to share.

Everyone, thanks for the encouragement!

ForMyGirls, I hope you have a much better week this week than last!
Closed Thread