Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #286  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hello coaches!
I love, love, love reading your posts! I feel like I am back on track...I took Beth's idea of making new ARCs and reading them several times per day. The card that is helping the most right now is about how resisting the urge to eat unplanned food is more calming than eating that food....something to that effect!

Being with those students and my colleagues, like always, made that funky vacation is over now feeling go away. Tonight was the yoga in my p90x3 plan...I am going on day 39/90 tomorrow. I am not flexible at all and had trouble with doing the poses but they are getting easier and I now look forward to when that workout comes up!

Loving the mystery dinner concept! I have such good intentions of writing personals...I wish I could talk to text my dialogue with you all as I read what you write! Have a wonderful hump day tomorrow!!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #287  

Good morning coaches,

I had a really good day yesterday, both my Mum and my aunt are out of hospital and doing really well...words can not tell you how relieved I am they are both still on medication but have been given the all clear. Happy days

Today is day 17 for me, so I am learning the skill of not overeating. This is one I know I need to work on as often times even if I am not hungry but I've planned to eat the food I will still eat. I have the thought "if you've planned it it is not cheating or bad". I am going to spend a lot more time practicing this one than I did with my first round of Beck. My plan it to start out by putting more food on my plate for 1 food group at lunch and dinner (for at least the next few weeks) then work my way up to leaving food on my plate when I am full. Wish me luck!!

My credits for yesterday

•Doing my planned exercise and spontaneous exercise int he form of clothes washing by hand!!
•Hosting a small get together and avoiding all the snack food, sticking to my plan and making dinner afterwards - strengthening the resistance muscle

Sorry for the short post, I'm just about to leave for a meeting

Have a great day all & thanks for all your kind words with regards to my family
Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #288  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi coaches

Food last night went downhill - hadn't thought clearly enough about what I wanted with the steak and after I finished cleaning I was hungry and yes I made fries - why are fries more easy to make when you can't make a decision? Not a good choice (nightshade, carbohydrates, calories, not on plan) - oh well. Today was on plan - took my lunch, and stuck with it; have a plan for dinner (as I get home late on Wednesdays) and it is all there ready to cook; the house is clean so no distractions; steps a bit low but above 7000 at least (yesterday ended up 9540); organised for aqua tomorrow early then head down to get going on preparation for next week.

BillBE - the century is getting closer! Steak with no qualifier is always beef when I think about it, otherwise it is lamb steak, pork steak, veal steak, kangaroo steak, emu, crocodile...you get my drift

FutureFitChick - That PT exercise seems impossible - credit! Hope "NO CHOICE" worked with your deadlines

Nationalparker - glad a good day even though you didn't get to check in. Hope spring comes soon (so we can get Autumn seriously under way!). Aqua Zumba is a scream - I am also almost the youngest by 3 decades and I am in my 60s! There is another woman who is a good deal younger and pregnant but the rest are elderly venerables. Except for the two of us they are all Asian and very fit (I live in a large Asian community) - they take their exercise very seriously. There is one nonagenarian lady of Japanese origin up the road from me who walks every day to another pool for her aqua class. She walks down and up an unimaginably steep hill to get there. Made of very stern stuff. The zumba part adds life to it. Someone asked if equipment is used - not in this class but in the straight aqua it is. The pool is indoors so no summer benefits. Good luck with family weight loss experiment!

Maryann - yes tragically Beck is right again. Sitting down to eat does seem to be the key. I continue to work on it. Good luck with manipulating the food plan and the veggie intake. Glad you "felt whole again" helping someone else and hearing your own words

Tricia - YAY for down another pound - and 222 is a cool number. I don't think that one can do much of anything at 38 C so start looking for alternatives to 4 walks - that is heroic. I am sad for the communities loss of a little life in such a way.

Onebyone - Credit for 265! Enjoy your movie and make a good choice for your next reward

Gardenerjoy - credit for 22 credits - it grew quickly

Rosebud - I am glad teaching has settled and that the routine has taken over - the adjustment is difficult!

Ladym0208 - I am so glad that your family is out of difficulty in the hospital - a really difficult situation from afar. Credit for practising Beck skills
Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #289  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

The site was down when I tried to post yesterday morning and I've made it here today so I'll go ahead and count streak to 23. Credit. Last night we might have gone out to dinner but I was excited about my planned meal at home so didn't suggest it. My streak of not eating any bites at work continues, too. Mindfulness.

I am so in the grind for the next few days I look forward to a return to real life. This morning I am headed to the project for several hours before heading to the restaurant. It makes for a long day. I am grateful to be able to do it.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #290  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Super quick fly in here. Ok today. Didn't get my exercise in but did everything else I need to and food was on plan. It is a really busy week and a week with kids so there is not much wriggle room if things don't go to plan so I am happy with what I am achieving. Weigh in tomorrow. Here's hoping for a downward trend.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #291  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to two events enjoying brisk air and not wearing boots. I passed a micro-library at the corner of a yard along the way and picked up The Twelve Tribes of Hattie because it went on my to-read list when Oprah recommended it a few years ago. I'm not really short of reading material right now, but this book kinda jumped into my hands and there isn't a looming return date.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including flounder for dinner that was served with a side of guilt because it's not as clearly sustainable as tilapia. One benefit of such a thin fish is that a modest portion covers a lot of plate. The only snack for the day was half a grapefruit that appeared to have dawdled in the fridge much too long, but had survived and was still tasty. I entertained the Sabotaging Thought, Since it's a bit old, a California Navel Orange would wash it down. The stark dishonesty of the thought struck me before I even had time to conjure up a decent Helpful Response. So, snacks-on-plan streaks to 98. Thanks for all the encouragement as that number approaches 100. I'm struggling to stop beating up on myself that the only reason I'm counting this is because I'd wandered off plan with extra 'healthy' snacks.

onebyone – Yay for a movie "well-earned!" Well earned, indeed. I'm impressed at your diligence pursuing neat exhibitions.

Joy (gardenerjoy)"It's all good" brings a smile.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "Mindfulness." Kudos and admiration for being able to put in several hours on your project before a full day at work.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for falling into fries; Yay for adding nightshade into their contents to help remember why to avoid them. I'm motivated by your "nonagenarian lady of Japanese origin" to remember that I can make my contribution to getting to that state.

FutureFitChick – Yay for extending "NO CHOICE" to work. Your physical therapy exercise of catching your trampoline-returned throw sounds fun - it should improve your aim as you endeavor to do less work with your healing knee.

maryann - Kudos that "neither of us leaves as we work through the tough stuff" and Kudos again that you recognize and are grateful for that.

ladym0208 – Glad to hear that your mum and aunt are moving forward. Good luck with your plan to leave food on the plate - one of the most challenging strategies for me.

nationalparker – I join you in being ready for spring. Kudos for compensating for a heavy lunch with a lighter dinner. Sharing your eating and exercise plan with your DH will be mutually reinforcing.

Rosebud170 – Kudos for doing yoga despite not feeling flexible - instead of using that as an excuse.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for staying on plan when that busy.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Continue to send supportive thoughts as you grieve that dear little boy lost to an unfenced pool. Smart plan to avoid getting seduced into eating back the calories expended by exercise. [I'm not so fond of the talking feature of these alarms; a buzz suffices - I've got to figure out the real reason anyway, just as you did with dust.]

Readers - Diverting from our normal quotes from Dr. Judith Beck because the world’s favorite Nobel-winning neuroscientist offers a cogent summary of the world’s favorite psychologist, whose work is the basis for what we're doing here.
Quote:
PLACING PSYCHOTHERAPY ON A SCIENTIFIC BASIS: FIVE EASY LESSONS

In the 1960's, Aaron Beck changed all that by introducing several major obvious but nevertheless elegant and beautiful innovations:

...First, he introduced instruments for measuring mental illness. Until Beck's work, psychiatric research was hampered by a dearth of techniques for operationalizing the various disorders and measuring their severity. Beck developed a number of instruments, beginning with a depression invention, a hopelessness scale, and a suicide-intent scale. These scales helped objectify research in psychopathology and establish better clinical-outcome trials.
. . .

Eric R. Kandel in This Explains Everything, Edited by John Brockman, pg 292

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-26-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #292  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Oh my goodness, Coaches,

I had a tennis lesson. My first lesson. I somehow thought somebody would show me how to hold a racket, I'd hit a few balls against the wall, and done. Not true. So tired. Also because I somehow didn't think I would get exercise at a tennis lesson, I did my run this morning. I am so tired. I know the coach was just blowing sunshine but he said I did well. I'm going to go watch TV now. It was fun but so hard.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #293  
Green Tomatoes

When I refuse to weigh every day so that I don't see high numbers, I miss the pleasure that I've had the last few days of watching the number drop like a rock when I get things back in place.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 23 Credit!
WI: -0.55 kg, Exercise: +45 1275/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: enjoyed the Beck background quote -- thanks!

flnu: good for you for trying something new. Tennis does sound fun!

ForMyGirls: great that you posted and managed many of your good habits during a busy week.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #294  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Such vibrant and active posts this morning - it has be rejuvenated. I'm feeling excited at DH's buy-in (this time) ... those who have been with me on my never-ending journey here remember I've written this many times and have petered out quickly without a "buddy" at home. Anyway, he weighed this morning before breakfast as I did (I'm at 170.8 - it's just climbing again) and we're starting. He even mentioned some food I make that's healthy and he particularly likes (a veggie salad with black beans, and a mexican salad with black beans, some spicy chicken, peppers, onions, etc., - both pretty healthy)...nice to hear him thinking of options, as well. I'm been so exhausted after work that just ANYTHING has been sounding good and then I think, well, a small portion is "life" ... and it's worked for the most part, but not enough veggies.

Will hunt down the asian lettuce wraps recipe and prep that for dinner.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #295  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question I just wanted to eat eat eat... but did I? See below....

Coaches

Yesterday I had what gardenerjoy has perfectly called "a hungry day" as in some days are just hungrier than others. While this little guy ---> seems happy to be hungry I was crabby and upset over it as it just did not pass, all day, even with planned snacks, even with a rest from exercise day, I was just simply hungry. Oh well. I mentioned it to DH who nodded his head to tell me he was hungry everyday for 3 months when he made the decision to eat right (he has since slacked off and re-gained a lot of what her lost 2 years ago). Anyway, giant hunger-sized credit for not eating off plan.

*credit also for weighing this morning: 265.4.
*credit for going to the movies and taking my reward.(off topic: I did see The Lego Movie. It was ridiculous. And it is quite layered. I had been greatly amused by some online diatribe that The Lego Movie was "anti-business". Hello? I could not help but notice it's one long ad for Lego products--but the story was quite good. I chose it because of the anti-business flack it got. Here's an article that talks about that and other stuff too http://io9.com/fox-business-slams-th...ine-1519933954)
*credit for planning all my food yesterday, and today and for tracking it too.
*credit for posting
Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #296  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Happy Wednesday Coaches.

Today is pizza night again. Planning for 1 slice and need to pack some veggies to go with them.
Food OP
Exercise DVD + walking pup - OP

onebyone
Hurray for so close to your goal. Kudos for tracking, aerobics and decluttering. Huge congrats for OP during your hungry day.

nationalparker Kudos for the deal with your dh to work together on your health! So glad to see you encouraged!

Rosebud170 Hurray for back on track and new ARCs! Kudos for yoga and increasing flexibility.

ladym0208
So glad to hear your family members are home and doing better! Kudos for focusing on day 17 and having a plan! Great job on your unique exercise and avoiding snacks.

seadwaters I have to watch the need for food after exercise as well. My body is trying to build and repair muscles and I have to have a plan. Hope you are back on track today. Congrats on your continuing high steps numbers (even 7000 is a lot!).

Lexxiss
Hurray for 23 and kudos on your mindfulness at work!

ForMyGirls Congrats for OP food, hope your weigh in is encouraging.

BillBlueEyes Kudos for fish, we are going to have Hake this week. I'm hoping to stop for fresh tortillas today and make fish tacos. We are all out of grapefruit and oranges...trying to decide if they are still in season enough to chance another Costco box.

flnu So glad you enjoyed your tennis lesson! Hope you aren't too sore today.

gardenerjoy Hurray for weigh-in and good habits becoming natural again.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #297  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good evening, Coaches.

Credit for a smoothie and salad today.

Starting this minute, I will sit when I eat for 24 hours. A person can do nearly anything for 24 hours that they would shun for a whole lifetime!!

Credit: Its raining
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #298  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

Posting although I almost did not. I am floundering and have been off plan for 3 days now. Leading to avoidance of posting and avoidance of reality.

Sick of my self. Does that sound too dramatic? I hate drama-and it feels like I am living a never ending drama, featuring me and food. Anyway, I am off to pack up lunch for tomorrow and dinner for the hotel and am going to keep on trying...

Take care and as ever, your posts inspire me that if I just keep trying, sooner or later I will figure this out.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #299  

Good morning coaches,

I am feeling good today...I got to Skype home with my mum and seeing her always leaves me in a good mood. My day 17 experiment went well, I was able to leave food on my plate for lunch, dinner and an afternoon snack. It didn't cause me too much concern as I went into it giving myself no choice, it also really helped to separate what I was eating from what I was leaving before I started eating even though it was still on the plate. The thing I found most challenging was repeatedly saying no to our cook who is very pushy around food, she makes A LOT of food and really pushes it on us to eat it all. It can get a bit frustrating but I am feeling less guilt about saying no nowadays, so thats progress.

My credits for yesterday...

•Noticed an improvement in my fitness levels, some of the exercises are getting easier
•Didn’t buy any junk food when I was in town , I brought healthy snacks instead
•Doing the ending overeating exercise at lunch and dinner and being able to leave food on my plate

CeeJay Well done for checking in, I hope you get back on plan soon
maryann Well done for breaking it down to a 24 hour time frame, I'm sure you can do it
AZtricia Well done for your OP day, and for your self control around Pizza!

Have a great day everyone xx
Old 02-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #300  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Unhappy Not the best day

Hi coaches

I have had a strange day - felt really ill this morning and didn't go to aqua. Had breakfast to see if I improved but didn't and have felt nauseous all day really. A little better now than before but an unproductive day and I can't afford to have those at the moment. It will make the next 3 days a mess. I have planned dinner and won't overdo it. Will go to bed early. Credits: weighed and logged; 5000 steps by dinner time; took care of myself today

Still planning to go to PT session tomorrow morning so hopefully I will be improved.
Closed Thread