Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi coaches

I had an on-plan day - I set up my menu yesterday in MFP and followed it today. I left room to juggle the evening meal because I wasn't sure what I would get at the market. Even though I was working at home I packed lunch last night and I decided that was a good option - made it easy with no painful decisions.

I went to gym again today because I had an appointment with a trainer. He was not the worst I have met - pleasant, polite and seemed knowledgeable. He, as usual, kept it fairly simple because they think that "the elderly" can't do much. Unfortunateley at the moment I can't - but it is still irritating LOL

Credits: Food OP; logged food in MFP; 9000 steps; weighed myself and logged my weight; posted to my coaches; ate sitting down - 50%

Thinking about Beth's post yesterday I have been trying to think about what has changed about how I eat or present food. It was a motivating post so thanks Beth. I think the major change for me has been to plan more explicitly for the week not just the day. And to stop when finished to decide whether I need more. I didn't eat one of my snacks today because I didn't want it so just deleted it from MFP

BillBE - King Oscar - that is the brand I have always used! It is one of the few that uses EV olive oil - just as you mentioned
ForMyGirls - good luck with feeling instead of eating this week. We seem to be missing the heat in Sydney which is a blessing
Maryann - interesting activity - a crabfeed? Credit for sticking to plan under great duress.
Tricia - Credit for walking under the circumstances - hope all is settling with sick family members. Will be good to see you back to normal tomorrow
Beth - Ouch for a derailing party - but credit for stopping when you planned. Credit for continuing to record

Take care coaches - I have to keep moving tonight
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Terrific walk in some sun with some warmth, CREDIT moi. I was overdressed - an odd sensation for the date.

On plan eating despite being Super Bowl Sunday, CREDIT moi. My plan to have no unplanned snacks helped on the day that's notorious for snacking to oblivion. Snack streak goes to 75. The snacks offered at noon were on two tables including home baked stuff and serious cheeses. DW was eating a quarter of one of those GIANT muffins; I declined a bite.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So I told DW I'd just read the best short story ever, The Marquise of O--. Didn't arouse any interest - she's reading some good books. So I read her the first sentence. She grabbed the book and read it that night, LOL. It was our conversation during our walk.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving. With condolences for a rough game for your Broncos - who are much better than reflected by that score.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Super idea to pack your lunch even though you're working from home - Kudos for serious planning. At my gym, "elderly" starts about 50 as perceived by the trainers who are all young and buff - so we're a large group and, <sigh>, are all patronized as you described.

maryann - Can't say that I've ever been searched for food leaving a party. Kudos for staying Op during a Bacchanalian event. Did you wear togas?

Beth (bethFromDayton) – LOL at a "not-watching-the-superbowl-party." Kudos for stopping before over full.

AZtricia - Three walks is worth three Kudos. Yay for umbrellas. [My sardines were from the local supermarket - widely available.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings
tip! If it has been any-
where from 20 minutes to
up to 3 hours since you've
eaten a reasonable-sized
meal, remind yourself that
any urge to eat is probably
due to a desire to eat, not
to hunger.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 119.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Terrific walk in some sun with some warmth, CREDIT moi. I was overdressed - an odd sensation for the date.

On plan eating despite being Super Bowl Sunday, CREDIT moi. My plan to have no unplanned snacks helped on the day that's notorious for snacking to oblivion. Snack streak goes to 75. The snacks offered at noon were on two tables including home baked stuff and serious cheeses. DW was eating a quarter of one of those GIANT muffins; I declined a bite.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So I told DW I'd just read the best short story ever, The Marquise of O--. Didn't arouse any interest - she's reading some good books. So I read her the first sentence. She grabbed the book and read it that night, LOL. It was our conversation during our walk.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving. With condolences for a rough game for your Broncos - who are much better than reflected by that score.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Super idea to pack your lunch even though you're working from home - Kudos for serious planning. At my gym, "elderly" starts about 50 as perceived by the trainers who are all young and buff - so we're a large group and, <sigh>, are all patronized as you described.

maryann - Can't say that I've ever been searched for food leaving a party. Kudos for staying Op during a Bacchanalian event. Did you wear togas?

Beth (bethFromDayton) – LOL at a "not-watching-the-superbowl-party." Kudos for stopping before over full.

AZtricia - Three walks is worth three Kudos. Yay for umbrellas. [My sardines were from the local supermarket - widely available.]

Readers -
Quote:
tip! If it has been any-
where from 20 minutes to
up to 3 hours since you've
eaten a reasonable-sized
meal, remind yourself that
any urge to eat is probably
due to a desire to eat, not
to hunger.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Food ? 100 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? no ; Drank 2L water? no ; Went to bed on time? no ; Streak count: 0

I started to feel down on myself about not drinking enough water today but then remembered - this is not a week for expecting perfection. In the circumstances that is a pretty **** hot report card. Yay me :-)

Other credits - noticed i wasn't hungry enough to eat all my sandwich today so i stopped eating. Had a smaller serve of breakfast than normal today because i didn't feel like eating my usual amount. (It is interesting to think abiut these things because i had thiught that i had managed to be pretty unstressed today - but seemingly i had lost my appetite - which is almost unheard of for me). A plan i had thougt through ahead of time allowed me to set some boundaries which helped keep things under control today. Kudos to me for thinking them through ahead of time and being brave enough today to follow through with them.

Tomorrow should be a calmer day. I sooooo love that i didn't have to plan tomorrow's food. There is no way that would have happened if it had to be done tonight.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello, Coaches,

Today was Day 18. Focus on "normal" fullness day. I also completed the Day 17 leave-food-on-your-plate exercise. Eh. Not sure I got so much out of these.

I was on-plan except that I forgot to pick up broccoli that I planned for dinner. I didn't sub in anything because I didn't have any other vegetables, so I just ate that much less. I would have rather had the broccoli. Anyway. I think that I will count my diet streak as days that I stay on my No S diet, which will have the asterisk of shame. Nah. Just kidding. I'm not feeling shame, but I will slap on an asterisk. I am going to still plan and tick 'em off as I go but be flexible (thanks, maryann) when the world goes off plan. (I still feel like if I were hardcore, I would could out-maneuver the world's attempts to subvert my plans. But I'm not hardcore.)

I had a little food-desire (the remaining cookies from this weekend) that I squashed. I also had my husband put three cookies in a baggie in the freezer so I can eat them next weekend, when sweets are allowed again. Credit.

Streak bed/exercise/diet* 1/22/2. Pretty chuffed for the exercise accomplishment. When my shoulder hurt and I knew I need to stop my weight routine, I made sure I had an alternative exercise in the chamber. And I'm running every other day. For some definitions of "run." Actually, bed has also been much better even though it's not reflected in the streak.

I'm still waiting for my fitbit.

I almost forgot something I wanted to ask: For those who are past the first few weeks, my most annoying effect of eating less is not feelings of hunger but when will I stop salivating all the time?? It's gross.

Last edited by flnu; 02-03-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #21  
Green Tomatoes

I've been struggling for a few days, but a post always is a good first step. I think I'm going to start a new streak tomorrow -- see how many days in a row I can Weigh / Write a post / Write a food plan. The 3Ws streak. That's really the basis of a good day for me.

ForMyGirls: To answer a question from a couple of days ago... I deduct 10% for any change to my written plan that is nutritionally equivalent (so an 80% OP day might have had two of those). I deduct about 20% for a change that wasn't nutritionally equivalent (so an 80% OP day might be one of those changes).
If the day really went off the rails, I don't tend to count up demerits. I actually look at the day and try to add up the good things. If the day as a whole was a reasonably good day food-wise -- one I might have planned had I known how the day would flow, I won't grade it lower than 70%. If it wasn't a good day, I ask myself if I was on-plan for at least half of my eating (usually breakfast and another meal or breakfast and snacks) then I'll grade myself at 50% or 60%.

MaryAnn and ForMyGirls: I like both of your discussions about food as functional and food as art. I've made both work for me at various times and I'm still working on what the right balance is.
ForMyGirls: to explore the art side of food more, I recommend Smart Chefs Stay Slim by Allison Adato (http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2013/01/...allison-adato/) and Culinary Intelligence by Peter Kaminsky (http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2013/01/...eter-kaminsky/).

BillBlueEyes: Cool that DW liked The Marquise of O-- from one sentence! I'm working on memoir, too. I think I need your writing group! Have you read The Memoir Project by Marion Roach Smith? I just reviewed that: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2014/01/...n-roach-smith/ She would consider your 3FC posts as memoir. Actually, a writer friend, after reading this book decided that everything is memoir.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was Day 2 of OP. Similar to last time I did the 3 week drop, my stomach feels flatter and I have stopped being physically hungry. (The book attributes this to the reduction of inflammation caused by food sensitivities and a decline in the antibodies produced by said sensitivities.) I have not been released from my desire to eat nor my desire for the high (my little "feelings vacation" ) that I seek from food. These last two mental manifestations ( I believe there is a spiritual component of emptiness) that I must face on a daily basis. This is much easier to do, however, when my body is healthier.

So, Yeah! Day 3 credits are step class and a planned for quiet day at home to get a few things accomplished.

Gardenerjoy and BBE: I have read that same first sentence. It is impressive, challenging Marquez for the title of best first sentence ever. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendνa was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Last edited by maryann; 02-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches.

I missed my check in yesterday. I had a nice loss on the scale yesterday, but didn't weight today. I have been resting a ton yesterday afternoon and today. I have more PT tomorrow and have done 1 of my 2 sessions at home so far today. I am dealing with some massive hunger issues right now. I am glad I decided to post, as you all reminded me that hunger is not an emergency.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

The weather was lovely after the morning - it was cool and rainy (not much - drizzle really)! Just what you over there don't want but a lovely relief from the humidity. And the driest January since 1940 or something.

Exercise was walking the dogs, walking to lunch, and standing and walking in the kitchen while I prepared food. Amazing how many steps that adds. Will end up about 8000. I am still recovering from the gym yesterday but will go tomorrow. Today I had planned to go out for lunch and had decided on what I would eat - that is what I stuck with. I remember at some stage this morning being "tempted" by something (can't even remember what) and I basically suppressed the desire - told it to go away. I guess that is the same as - "not about me", "not on my plan". It felt good to resist and to move on. When I am checking my cultured foods to decide if they have fermented I taste them - the most logical way is to open them quickly at the sink and take a taste. I don't sit down for that because it seems illogical. For other foods where I am mindlessly snacking I am trying to cut back on that

Credits: Food OP; logged food in MFP; 8000 steps; weighed myself and logged my weight; posted to my coaches; ate sitting down - 70%

Bill(BlueEyes) - credit for OP eating on Super Bowl Sunday (which seems like snack heaven). You have now totally enticed me with The Marquise of O-- . It is not available on Kindle (not surprising) nor is it available in any of the local library - I even would have joined! Yes - he was buff and good looking and not as arrogant as most - but the patronizing is just not negotiable. I tried really hard to feel empathy and affection for the girl in the mirror but it didn't really succeed.
ForMyGirls - credit for recognising you are in a difficult time period and that the expectations are different. Credit for doing as well as you did. It is massive to recognise you are full and to stop eating
flnu - I don't quite get the leave food on your plate either as I just put more on it - but I think it is about regularly monitoring what your hunger level is an stopping when enough is enough. I am not so good at recognising that. LOL at out manoevering karma or the natural order of things - good luck with that. Credit for recognising and quashing desire for cookies. A good streak for exercise - credit
GardenerJoy - sympathy for the struggle - posting here does focus the mind. A good idea to start a streak. Like the idea of the 3 W's streak - I need to get more focussed on my goals
Maryann - sounds like an interesting plan - I will have to check it out more. Good thoughts your way for the next few weeks
FutureFitChick - Glad you have been resting up. Credit for working on "hunger is not an emergency"
Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #25  

Default New here

Hi all

I'm new here at this site and currently starting Stage 1 in The complete Beck diet for life program.
I know I should find a diet Buddy, and that is how I found this site. How does this work? Would be glad if someone would explain it to me
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #26  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, was easy since I didn't encounter tempting foods. I did plate my own dinner - abandoned by DW - so felt the old-time urge to pile it on. I served myself the same portion that we normally eat. Had no snacks so the streak goes to 76 <cue trombones>.

Walked, CREDIT moi, while the snow was falling. Not much accumulated - not enough to fire up my new snow thrower. More is predicted tonight. It's hard on my friends that I'm cheering for enough snow to give it a thorough test.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Bon Voyage on your "The 3Ws streak." Thanks for the link to your blog reviewing The Memoir Project. Yep, I'm a fan of that book. She helped me distinguish between a memoir and an autobiography. Also like her notion of a very-first draft ("vomit" draft) where we don't fight the clichιs that can be edited later.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Glad to hear you're getting some relief with cool and rain down under. Great demo, "told it to go away."

FutureFitChick – Congrats on that "nice loss." Sounds like you're being faithful to your physical therapy plan.

maryann - Yay for "stopped being physically hungry." [Love that sentence! You force me to google to discover One Hundred Years of Solitude - another book to add to list.]

ForMyGirls - Big day that you stopped eating your sandwich when satisfied and used planning to set boundaries.

flnu - Love the notion, "when the world goes off plan." Kudos for sticking with exercise while still honoring your shoulder. I didn't have the salivating experience.

inadogg - Kudos for diligently seeking a Diet Buddy as you charge forth on your journey. We all serve as Diet Coach (Dr. Beck's first book) or Diet Buddy (her second book, the "green book" - the one you're reading) to each other. We welcome you to join us. There are no hard rules. You find a way to report your progress - daily is recommended by Dr. Beck - and react to us as is comfortable for you. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
Below are some common sabotaging thoughts and responses. Make Response Cards for any that ring true for you.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to do this. I know the difference between hunger and craving.
Helpful Response: I might know the difference on an intellectual level, but it's still important for me to experience the difference on a physical level. Chances are, I probably sometimes label a craving as hunger. It's very important for me to do this exercise so I'll know whether I really am too hungry too often (which is a problem I'll need to solve) or whether I really am craving (which is a sensation I'll learn to tolerate).

Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Aaagh - nearly bedtime so v brief tonight.

Food ? 100 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? yes ; Drank 2L water? yes ; Went to bed on time? yes ; Streak count: 1

Credits: when measuring my 40g of trail mix today I stopped when the scale said 39. I have been doing this a bit lately. It is an important adjustment - to round down, not up, when measuring food. I "just did it" which meant I got everything I needed to done in the morning by the time I needed to do it so 1/1 normal weekdays have been on plan.

Thanks all for your supportive messages!

inadogg - WELCOME!!!! I am sorry that I am not in a position tonight to explain how this discussion board works - I was tempted to try but I think I would mess it up tonight:-) I will be in less of a rush tomorrow night so in the unlikely event that no-one else has explained it all by then I will fill you in. I hope you find Beck helpful - it has been a real life-changer for me - and this community is incredibly supportive and helpful!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome inadogg

inadogg

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #29  

I found her book through a programme I'm participating in. This programme is called ""Enjoy eating" and is conducted through our health care here in Iceland.
I found this forum through Google when I was looking for support and a Diet Buddy.
I have just started reading and now I am struggling with sitting down, eating slowly and enjoy. This seams to be very hard for me to do and I constantly forget it until I have already eaten in front of the TV or computer.
But I'm working on it.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #30  
Green Tomatoes

I Weighed (ouch!), Wrote a food plan for today, and now I'm Writing my post. 3Ws streak -- Day 1, done! Nice to have something so important checked off my list first thing in the morning!

inadogg: Welcome! This thread makes a terrific diet buddy! It's available 24/7 and has an astounding amount of collective wisdom for any problem you may encounter.
Eat sitting down was a struggle for many of us, but just keep at it. You'll be surprised that you just start doing it after a few days.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 02-04-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Closed Thread