Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #301  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had one fine, juicy, half-pear for evening snack; it's that time of year. Eating was on plan, including snacks, CREDIT moi, for streak to 70. I went through the mental exercise of considering adding some fresh pineapple to that pear, but didn't - just because I hadn't planned it, not because it would be too many calories. I'm glad this morning because random scale jiggle was up one pound and I'd have attributed it to a half-cup of pineapple if I'd had it, LOL.

Gym class was fun, CREDIT moi - one of those rare days that I wore long pants. It was a cold walk getting there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Smart to shift your writing metric to something you control. I was never comfortable that lines-of-code-per-day was a metric in software engineering when one's best day might consist of eliminating lines.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a rent check - may there be many more. What an achievement, "I pretty much think before I eat now."

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Super demo noting that your next planned snack is a finite time ahead and then waiting for it; Kudos.

nationalparker – Love the image of sleeping in front of the fire. Good luck cleaning out the fridge. [Is Unfinished Song the movie you're trying to remember? I saw the trailer; was intrigued, but didn't see the movie.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, Yep, Yep, "more than I'm doing" is a good thing - and sometimes just what we're doing.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for a full sweep on your tracking line (twice). Congrats for creating an atmosphere where your older DD thinks you can help her lose weight. And Kudos for recognizing that posting status is more important than personals.

Sue (Bunnababy) - Such useful insight for many areas, "working on them instead of trying to ignore them will help" - Kudos for charging forth with planning meals for tomorrow.

AZtricia - You're being serious about your ARC when you edit it for best impact - Kudos.

flnu - Super neat to discover by your own experiment that hunger isn't the worst discomfort of the many that we tolerate each day - Kudos for working that exercise. [Only lunch occurs at the same time each day for me - for those days when I'm not out - triggering my timed hunger response. Dinner is whenever my DW gets to it; breakfast is after I wake up.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings
.......Most dieters have difficulty
distinguishing between
true hunger,
....a desire to eat, and a craving.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 119.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #302  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Just a quick check in this morning. Food is OP. Exercise yesterday was lots of housework! Have a great day!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #303  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all, this is going to be a drive-by because I have to finish a presentation for tomorrow. Today, Day 13, was ruminate about and plan for cravings day. I did not make my response cards today, but I will tomorrow, during my lunch break. I feel like it's been a while since I had a craving, but that's probably because it's been a while since I denied myself anything.

Streak bed/exercise/diet = 7/16/16

After 16 days of exercise, it finally feels like it is getting easier. And the awesome thing is that it is not getting easier, it's the same, but I am more fit. Who rocks? The flnu rocks.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #304  
Green Tomatoes

I planned a generous snack to aid in my willingness and it worked. I ate exactly what I intended, when and where I intended to eat it. A 100% OP day feels good!

My stress was much reduced. I had one bad moment of wishing that I could get more done today than can possibly happen, but I found my way to acceptance. Today will be much better for not having stuffed it with too many things.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +25 1240/1400 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: and other creative types (with a very large definition of creative -- including the creativity required to lose weight), I started The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, as you recommended, last night. And, I want to hand a copy to every person on the planet right now.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #305  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Sideswiped by Jimmy Johns but hopefully staying on the road

They served lunch at our five-hour meeting today and I chose a veggie sandwich because I couldn't find the turkey with the names/numbering system they had there ... ate about 2/3 and pulled off most of the cheese, guac and mayo (so I had an enhanced tomato and cuke sandwich, in essence). Back to my desk this afternoon and looked up the calorie count. 800 calories. I was stunned and irritated and cranky. I'm counting it as 500 since i clearly didn't eat the cheese/guac/mayo ... but boy-oh-boy I'm mad that I wasted those calories. I need a mind reset on this.

Back up to 170.0 but oddly okay with that as it's time when I'm retaining water and figure to stay the course and it'll go back down...

Two more days here and then we're on the road! Yippee. Have to figure out when I can drop off our pooch with DH's parents as I despise driving the country roads in snow to get there.

His older daughter is creating much drama, which filters out to me, and I am short-tempered with her lack of accountability for her actions, or lack of understanding repercussions. She's 21. Not 4. Yet, he will worry, I know.

Thanks, Bill - that's the movie!! Yay! Personals tonight if I can. GardenerJoy - thanks for the reminder on the war of art ... It's in my cart in amazon and just need to purchase. I keep moving it in and out after the recommendation a few months ago from OneByOne. (?)

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #306  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quick check-in as tonight is my busy night. Also Pizza night...sides packed and planned to go w/ one slice. I'll see y'all tomorrow! Eating OP, Exercise OP, and even read my ARCs!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #307  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I haven't recovered from kickboxing on Monday but that didn't stop the trainer from pushing us through Pilates. I'm really enjoying having the class at work! Steps are at 6200. All I need to do to get my step count over 5000 is to go shopping every night. I don't think that's a good solution, though!

Food was OP. I ordered exactly what I intended to at our dinner meeting. It wasn't quite on the menu (and DH paid the bill so I don't know how it got rung up) but I ordered it and ate it--and was OP.

AZtricia--big credits for planning sides to go with a single piece of pizza.

nationalparker: Removing all the high cal stuff definitely would have brought it way down. It is amazing to me how many calories are in food served by restaurants!

gardenerjoy: Credit for relaxing demands on yourself.

flnu: I hope you're giving yourself humongous credit for exercising getting easier--and for knowing that you rock! Cravings are interesting--for me, my craving is usually for "something sweet" so that's the one I had to really fight. I resolved a lot of it with the "no sweets at work" (which is really "no unplanned snacks at work).

FutureFitChick: Credit for having a clean house!

BillBE: Interesting how we know we'd blame pineapple for a scale change--I somehow don't think it was overeating fruit that got most of us where we are.

ForMyGirls: It sounds like you were really in the groove today--and it sounds as if you taught those chocolate chips who was boss!

seadwaters: Promising yourself an apple if you were still hungry later sounds like it worked really well. And if an apple would satisfy, that sounds more like hunger than craving--and sometimes our bodies just do want more--but waiting it out let you be sure!

I'm not getting to bed as early as I intended--but it's earlier than the rest of this week has been, so I'm calling it a night.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Diet coaches

Exercise was walking this morning and I made over 9000 steps today. Weigh in this morning I was down a pound on ticker so that felt good. Food was OP today. Further walking was visiting my colleague, who had the stroke, in the rehab unit - he is going well.

I ended up joining a gym which makes me nervous - I often end up not going and then it becomes my charity payment. I am sure we have all been there. But I am planning to go there tomorrow. Will report whether I do or not. I always feel so embarrassed that I can't wear gym clothes (you know - the sorts of things they make them wear on Biggest Loser) and that the T shirts they want to give you for free are always too small and that you don't want to wear a swimsuit in public. What do you wear when you are over 60 and large?? I rejected the bag and the hat and the T-shirt. They found that odd. Anyway I have to get over myself and just GO. I need access to the treadmills and bikes and weights. And I need to plan for exercise to built strength and function. Work will be h*ll but I need to leave and do this. The gym (I can attend a range around Sydney) has the usual equipment plus a pool, plus aqua classes so it should be good.

I didn't really eat a lot today - possibly not enough - I was busy and distracted.

Credit for:
Checked in
Measured and logged my food
Ate on plan and the plan included good choices
Ate mindfully - 0% of time really
Weighed myself
Exercised - walked in the morning as far as usual
Made opportunities for incidental exercise by going the long way at work
Gave credit for positive behaviours
Joined a gym
Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #309  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to Trader Joe's because DW got into my walnuts and I need them for breakfast. They had, as always, a FREE something to eat; I declined.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks to increment to 71 days. Evening snack was the pineapple that I'd lusted after the day before. Scale jiggle was down a pound this morning which, by merely extrapolating from a single datum, implies that pineapple causes weight loss. Perhaps massive portions of ham baked with pineapple will be the backbone of my new Pineapple Diet. I'll be rich.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Wish you could bottle this and sell it on the Internet, "I found my way to acceptance." I, too, read The War of Art - was moved to find so many of the excuses I use to procrastinate skewered. Having returned it to the library, perhaps I'll buy my own copy just to read a page a day.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Yay for "busy and distracted" to stay the path. Super Kudos for joining that gym. I was sensitive to how silly my clothes looked when I first joined eight years ago. Since then I've come to believe that what everyone says is true - if you're not a 20-year old hottie, no one is looking.

FutureFitChick – Quickly waving back; may your house be clean enough for a few weeks - despite being good exercise.

nationalparker – Ouch for working so mindfully on that sandwich to end up disappointed at the published calorie count. Oh Well. Kudos for thinking: "a mind reset."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – With that varied exercise, you're gonna be one toned machine. [Nope, fruit wasn't the source of my extra pounds - unless Oreo's can magically get declared fruit.]

AZtricia - Yay for planned pizza.

flnu - Absolutely, "The flnu rocks." Kudos for noticing.

Readers -
Quote:
day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

Monitor Your Hunger

Before you sit down to eat each meal and snack, notice how your stomach feels. Write a description of this feeling in My Hunger Monitoring Chart on page 118. Also, rate your stomach hunger on a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being not hungry at all and 10 being the hungriest that you've ever felt.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 119.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #310  
Green Tomatoes

I had a generous plan yesterday, but nothing out of the ordinary, so another step in getting myself back to normal. Unfortunately, today will be anything but normal. I’ll be alone in the house much of the day which is a challenge for me and, then, we’re going out tonight.

The plan for the day is to skip one of my snacks and eat what is on my plan at the table (not in front of the TV which is especially dangerous for me when I’m alone).

For the evening, I’m going to have nothing but club soda w/ a twist at the cocktail party so that I can have some room to maneuver at the restaurant meal afterwards. Among other rules I’ll be following at the restaurant will be: a drink or dessert but not both.

I’m also pledging to post tomorrow morning so that I get myself right back in the swing of things!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +60 1300/1400 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

seadwaters: I like a brightly-colored tankini top (like this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage...28480-_-347226) over a black swim skirt (like this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage...47226-_-428480) And, then I just go in with the attitude that everyone else is too worried about how they look in a swimsuit to pay attention to how I look in one.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #311  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Working from home and then to the dentist for a cavity fill. Drat!

I would not do a Snoopy dance over food choices these last few days although the days mainly fell into OP maintenance calorie range. There were some highlights. Dinner before the Eagles concert was a warm winter salad - spinach, warm fruit compote and butternut squash. No salad dressing which allowed me to share a small cheesecake with hubby. Also, I wore my new "dressy pants" I bought for everything from weddings to city dinners to work (it I tone them way down with a cardigan) . They are super silver and black cocktail length pants from Banana republic - size 8. I felt hip, slick and cool let me tell you. DH said I looked great. The music was fab. Those boys can still sing.

For the purpose of being able to remain in these pants, I am planning a re visit of the initial 3 weeks of the Virgin Diet that I did in September. I am supposed to do it again after six-month anyway to retest some common allergens. I am starting Feb. 1st. To give myself a running start I am going to focus on the Beck skill of sitting down. That is really the trickiest for me. Also, Like AZtricia, I am going to write some new advantage cards.

Last edited by maryann; 01-30-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #312  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches, almost Friday again

Yesterday was OP. Planned lentil sprouts and raw veggies to go with pizza. Still have a sore throat but have not got the yuck like others in my family, the vitamins must have helped. Still not feeling up to intense exercise, though, so I stick to walking the puppy (who is feeling better, but not at 100% yet either). I've started throwing away/donating items of clothing that are too large. Funny thing is that the older the stuff I have, the larger the size that still fits. Apparently there has been a shift to smaller #'s for larger sizes over the last 10 years or so. I've plenty of shorts and shirts to fit for now, but stopped & purchased a pair of pants.

Finally took my "reward" shoe to repair and the guy is unsure if he can fix it. It is a leather sandal and the between the toe part stitching came loose. I will know by Saturday.

bethFromDayton Hurray for 50 pounds gone! Congrats on your streak, hope you are able to get the earlier bed time. Kudos for more exercise while you were still sore.

Cheryl/seadwaters Congrats on focus due to notes and ARCs. WhooHoo for your resistance muscle, and enjoying your planned apple. Over 9000 steps is great! Kudos for joining the gym and I'd wear whatever is comfortable for you and not worry about what the others think...

ForMyGirls Hurray for a good start on your streak, planned food, and stopping when you were full at breakfast.

BillBlueEyes Loved hearing about your pineapple a pineapple diet would be great :-P LOL about "your" walnuts. The only food of mine that doesn't regularly get devoured here is cottage cheese....and even that gets taken sometimes. Thanks for the reminder quotes.

FutureFitChick Great for checking in and OP food.

flnu Love your attitude, you rock!

gardenerjoy So glad your plan for snack succeeded and you had an OP day. Great cocktail & dinner out plan.

nationalparker Bummer about the sandwich. Hope you've recovered from the disappointment. Have a great trip!

maryann Oh, we just returned from kiddo's dentist, but no cavities. Sorry you had to go through that. Yum to the shared cheesecake! Glad you had a great evening. Hope the new advantage cards are very motivating!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #313  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Busy work day and getting ready to run home and will be busy there as well. Pierogies with peppers and onions and a bit of crumbled turkey sausage for dinner tonight. Should come together super quick and a one-pan meal, yay.

I'm so ready for winter to wrap up, though it's naive to think it'll be anytime soon. They're calling for ice the morning we head to the airport (Sat.) and snow tomorrow night when I go drop off the pooch at the in-laws. Watching a major snow "event" next week (when did that silly term come into vernacular? I laugh when I hear it. Do we have rain events?)

Regardless, I'm on plan so far today, despite boxes of chocolate wherever I turn at the office.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #314  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

I prioritised getting to bed on time over posting last night - CREDIT!

I have been on a journey of discovery about planning lately. It is probably the part of the program I have been most resistant to - early on I was pretty strict but have done a lot of arguing with myself about whether it is really necessary and really hating the lack of spontaneity - it has felt a bit like if my food is completely mapped out then eating becomes purely a functional exercise and that is a bridge too far for me :-) Anyway for the last few weeks I have been doing it pretty conscientiously and feel like I am making some interesting discoveries along the way.

I think that I might have found a happy medium between “plan everything” and “go with the flow” where on most days there are about 200-300 calories unplanned which I can use for something spontaneous, provided I think through whether it will be within the range I have free. The planned food has a good amount of veggies, 2 fruit serves and enough protein so I know the things I NEED to eat are covered so it doesn’t really matter what the spontaneous thing is. I have retained the “3 indulgences a week” part of the diet I was on at the beginning of all this so the spontaneous thing can’t be junk food or alcohol. Let’s see how this goes :-)

I am also finding that this balance seems to mean I am more willing to stick with the plan I have - last night for dinner the kids asked for mashed potato, which wasn’t part of my plan - previously I would have tried to adjust my plan to make room for it but last night I thought “I’ve already had my spontaneous thing for the day” and didn’t have any. CREDIT

The helping my kids be healthy thing is also going well at the moment. When we were staying with family in Tassie my sister-in-law often served food on plates, rather than ‘family style’ and I noticed that the kids ate a more balanced meal those nights so since then we have been doing that at home as well and it seems to work well. They are eating a more appropriate portion of the high calorie food and mostly just eat the vegetables without comment, rather than having to be pushed to take an appropriate serve.

Wow - almost forgot. Baked with the kids yesterday. Chose a ‘semi-healthy” choice of oatmeal chic chip. Channelled Beth and had a plan to eat 2 later in the day and I didn’t lick a single spoon, bowl or beater. Pretty sure that is a first :-)

Food 100% OP? yes ; Health activities 100% OP? yes ; Drank 2L water? yes ; Went to bed on time? yes ; Streak count 3

Seadwaters - Good on you for overcoming your hesitance and joining the gym. Perhaps a strategy for making sure it doesn’t turn into a charity payment could be to on the lookout for the sabotaging thoughts and get responses down as soon as you notice them?

BBE - LOL on the pineapple theory :-)

AZTricia - you are doing so well navigating through an illness. I find it so hard to know when the “you need to rest not exercise” is rational and when it is an excuse so it is very easy for illness to derail me. You seem to be just taking it in your stride!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #315  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Just another quick check in. I have just been working in bed all day, recuperating. Food was OP. Credit for posting.
Closed Thread