Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

58! Woohoo!

My streak is 8 tonight. Had a busy day and didn't end up getting to my 'exercise/well-being tasks" till 8pm. So credit to me of doing them - my habitual behaviour would be to say "never mind, there's always tomorrow".

Gardener joy - thanks for your comments about the small gains you had on your way down, and during maintenance. It is really helpful to be reminded that perfection is not a requirement for success.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #107  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym including the non-Zumba group session, CREDIT moi. For the first time in quite a while the dumbbell rack needed my help; I restacked about ten dumbbells that were out of order by carefully choosing the ones I needed from their out of order place and returning them to their proper place. It does distract me from what I'm doing. I did suffer a quick wince when a guy picked up two 95 pound dumbbells for a simple exercise - I've picked up a single 95 pounder before on a sorting mission, but have never picked up a pair. Oh Well.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks, to make my streak 23. I was close to breaking it last night because I had the fresh pineapple for my evening snack yet the new Tangerines were calling. We have some Clementines in the fridge but they're only 'OK' - the Tangerines are killer good. However, I got distracted installing a new DVD player that's going to be either a Christmas present for me or for DW - we've been married so long that we tend to give each other presents that we want ourselves. I know that sounds awful, but it makes us both happy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for 100% OP - you hold yourself to a strict standard there with the 10% penalty for equivalent substitutions.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Those sodium pounds are a bummer, but they feel so good as they melt away in a few days. BTDT. Both lunch and dinner in restaurants in the same day is a challenge.

Pam (pamatga) – Love your Sabotaging Thoughts, especially, "I'll make up for it by eating less later" - since I'm very familiar with that one. Kudos for the work that's taken you to your "parallel universe."

nationalparker – Yep, pizza is a huge draw; Kudos for stopping at only one slice with the second staring at you.

Beth (bethFromDayton)"ONE plate of food-no seconds and no sweets" sounds like a great plan for a challenging company party. Yay for chocolates bought for someone else.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Kudos for attacking eating in the car - an optimum place for off-plan nibbling.

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Super Kudos for buying jammies and earrings with your "butts or booze" monies. Cream of wheat in pizza dough is a new one for me.

LoseToAll - Skipping a party is one good way to "skip the angst." That cashew/shrimp noodle salad sounds hard to resist.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9 Select and Exercise Plan

Exercise has many diet- and non-diet-related benefits: . . .

Exercise builds confidence. As you increase your fitness, you're likely to feel better about yourself and your abilities. Researchers at the University of Houston in Texas found that students who participated in a six-week weight-training program reported feeling more positive about their appearance, less anxious about their bodies, and more confident in their abilities than students who didn't exercise.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 107.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #108  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Lurker here. I do read this thread on a regular basis and enjoy it.

Anyway, just wanted to say to Lulu, a tip for icing the knee. Get a bottle of plain ole cheap white/clear thick, sticky corn syrup. Freeze it in zip lock baggie. Double bag, it's a mess if it leaks in the freezer. But, it's cold, does not get solid, stays more like a moldable gel. You can make any size bag to fit whatever you need to chill. I use a washrag or dish towel on my skin and then add the ice. You don't want the ice to have direct contact with your skin.

I learned this trick from my twin boys high school football coach.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #109  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for that advice, Janelle.
I will try that, for sure!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #110  
Green Tomatoes

My 100%OP Day streak count is up to 2.

Today is already not going according to plan, but I think the food will stay on plan. I went to the grocery store before breakfast -- turns out that's a great time to go to the store on the day of a winter storm prediction -- the shelves are full and the aisles are (relatively) empty.

We had an event to go to this morning, but we're skipping it. We'd likely get home before the wintry mix, but DH isn't feeling well so we're staying home. I wrote a Plan A & Plan B down in case we went out to lunch -- I'm going to keep that in place. It wouldn't be the first time we skipped an event and went out to lunch after, anyway.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +50 555/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: woohoo on staring down that extra slice of pizza! You're awesome!

veganasaurusrex: cool for taking on "No eating in the car." That has worked wonders for me.

Welcome, shcirerf! Glad to have you! Feel free to de-lurk, any time.

For shciref and Lulu, I do something similar for icing injuries. Let's see if I can find the recipe...Here it is: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organ...0000000000264/ Once I figured out that worked for me in the ziploc bag, I bought a reusable ice bag and filled it with the same formula. I've never had to fill it again -- just keep refreezing it. With the rubbing alcohol in it, it stays moldable instead of freezing solid. It also stays colder longer than other ice bags. I've had enough injuries and muscle pains, that I actually find the cold a comfort, now. I know it's going to reduce the pain and the length of time that I'll be dealing with this injury. My brain associates the cold with speedy healing. I also use a towel or a layer of clothing between the bag and my skin.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Well, it's Day 4 and it's beautiful and chilly! Day 4 means it's also time to give myself credit which I am DREADFUL at. I fall into the trap of "I overate at that occasion so I may as well just keep going". I read my ARC twice yesterday and this morning today as scheduled. I haven't eaten in the car despite a few super inconvenient times (even just since yesterday!) that I wanted to. Last night was my partner's daughter's birthday party. I didn't go into it with a great plan but I stuck to just eating an appetizer because I realized I wasn't hungry for more food.

Credit is really tricky for me I think because I'm such a tangible rewards motivated person and it's nigh impossible for me to think of rewards that are reasonable and NOT food based. How do y'all reward yourselves as a way of giving credit?

LoseToAll Tasting while cooking is a big struggle for me and I remember it being a hindrance during my last big weight loss push. Not necessarily because of the calories but because I couldn't figure out how to deal with it. I think this time I'm going to decide there's a difference between tasting for flavors and "doneness" and between snacking on what I'm cooking and as long as it's the latter it's acceptable. But that seems like a wicked slippery slope. Looking forward to other's suggestions.

pamatga Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts that you struggle with because SO MANY of them represent what I struggle with on my journey. I really appreciate hearing that I'm not the only one.

LuLu01801 AMAZING on the smoking! Good on you lady! Email coming your way next.

nationalparker You've slayed the Pizza Monster! Excellent work. As someone who spends a lot of time working with families who are sponsored for the holidays (I spent last evening playing Santa and delivering gifts from amazing donors) I promise that all of them would have been very satisfied with your choice to do good for yourself as well as for them

bethFromDayton Yay on OP! Congrats!

seadwaters It's interesting to realize how many important functions sodium has in our body in terms of keeping us healthy and living. It's the major positive ion in our extracellular fluid that maintains the osmolarity of every single one of our cells - without it we couldn't live! (Someone just finished her anatomy and physiology final and is still excited about this stuff). I find that most interesting when juxtaposed with how problematic modern diets (like mine) have become when something so important is taken in such large quantities that it can be bad for us. But good on managing the restaurant beast!

BillBlueEyes Thanks for being such a wonderful role model. I admire you. I am so excited for the day when my food struggles are between tangerines and pineapple instead of between "a reasonable portion" and "eating everything I can get my hands on"

Thanks to everyone for advice on cooling things - I suffer from migranes so I'm always looking for better ways to get soothing cool on my forehead.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 'Lo, Beckmates

I feel the need to rejoin this dear team, fellow Beckmates, if that is OK with all. I need to use CBT for its original purpose, which I can hardly believe myself. At a time that should be one of the happiest of my life, I find myself needing CBT and some communication with those who understand the methods of CBT. Where better to find that than here? I know it is the right solution for me. I hope it is OK with all of you; even though food is no longer my demon, I feel most comfortable here. It still amazes me that after 13 years of maintaining (and don't let my current ticker fool you; I spent the first 47 years of my life at a whopping 220#s) I have no fear of regaining the weight. None. It simply isn't going to happen. I have to tell you, the weight loss was more of a gift than anything else. I just got full. It's really weird, cuz I still do enjoy food, and window shop at parties, I just don't want that stuffed feeling.

Those of you who remember me know I am a lazy poster; I don't respond to each person every day, but try to offer a thought here or there if something rings a bell for me from someone's post. I am not a daily poster, either, and I so respect those of you who are so faithful. I am really pleased to see so many old friends from so many years ago. It really is remarkable. I have been looking at some of the other forums for people whose posts I enjoyed, especially the maintainers, and am sad to not be able to find them.

So, here goes:

Huge credit, moi. I gave myself a good swift kick in the pants, got fired up to join my Beckmates. Also credit for following my plan of clean eating, anti-inflamation eating. Just had a Clementine and an egg cooked in coconut oil. Have really been listening to my own advice about what is healthy eating and using food as intended, i.e. for nourishment. I am avoiding sugar for the poison that it is. My guru, Dr. Andrew Weil called it the biggest health problem in America. Wow.

BillBE your insertion today about exercise really spoke to me. Thanks for that.

Update for those who remember, BillBE and SilverBirch especially, I still have my raspberry eatin' dawg. I planted some blueberries this summer; I am thinking she needs an anti-oxidant boost. her reward for keeping the deer out of my yard and my hostas.

Stay warm, all.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #113  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day 27 & 28: Master the 7 Question Technique/Weighing In

Day 27: Mastering the 7 Question Technique. I am also a recovering "living in my head" person (being over-analytical) so I am gingerly tip-toeing around this particular "technique" because if I over-analyze things it increases my anxiety which can trigger a mild panic attack which can paralyze me in doing just about anything. I do feel that it is important that we become conscious of our choices that we make in areas that we wish to improve on but following her 7 Question Technique would be opening up a Pandora's box for me at a time when I have spent years (decades) moving farther and farther away from OCD. I don't want to return back there and my "concern" is that I could or might if I did this.

However, my "calmer" version (at least to me it is) of this technique is I do a nightly "self-assessment" (Step 10) when I have added up all of the numbers for my food plan each day. I do it as objectively as I can. Just the facts, ma'am. I do my best to avoid judging myself or self-berating myself. I simply report what is the facts and then offer myself suggestions on what I could do better the next day.

I have saved all of my food plans for the past year. Since I have really struggled to not only stay on track but return to losing weight as I had done last spring, I decided just recently that I would revisit those and review some of those food plans to see what I was doing then as well as what problems that I was reporting to myself. It helped me to make some immediate changes in my food plan this past week.

As I have mentioned before that one of the former "addiction" behaviors that I have had was self-denial which then manifests itself as dishonesty both with myself and then with others that I report to. So, I had to change my ticker again. Right now, being honest has got to be paramount in this leg of my weight loss journey. I do think this is a temporary re-gain but even so I want to be honest about my struggles. I have been in the danger zones a couple of times earlier in this week, which I think is somewhat of a backlash of having such a good day last Friday night; which Dr. Beck discusses: the feeling that you made it through something tough so then you relax up a little. Ouch! I did Sunday and Monday. Too many calories and too much sodium.

I have had to put some foods on "suspension" for an indefinite period. Pizza is the #1 offender for me for several reasons. Yes, I do have some excellent recipes for "healthy" pizza that I have made in the past but it just simply is a "trouble" area that I need to avoid.

Again, I weigh myself every day and record that as well so Day 28 I just skimmed through.

I credit myself for two nights in a row feeling like I wanted to eat something (the hunger was very mild -like a 1 or 2) but I didn't simply because I wanted to see if I could NOT do it instead of just doing it. Exercising my resistance muscle was relatively easy in both cases but still credit anyway.

Lulu Good Job on identifying your limits and deciding to tackle them. I have always said that I have a tri-core addiction: unhealthy relationships (abusive ones), compulsive spending and compulsive overeating.It always gets back to setting boundaries. Just when I think I am "done with one" it rears its ugly head and presents me with a set of new issues to resolve.

bethfromdayton: It sounds like you are really doing well. I think you just need to give yourself more credit and believe in yourself, IMHO, but then don't we all?

seadwaters: I admire how you handled yourself at the Asian restaurant. I used to allow myself meals at Asian restaurants and actually did well but then again that "just this once or this is a special occasion" started to creep back in so I stopped going to one of my favorite ones. Ironically, when I finally did decide to take the plunge again after an 8 month absence I discovered the restaurant had closed. I immediately assumed it was my fault: "if only I had gone more..." How silly of me! Still, that is the second Asian restaurant that I used to frequent to close in the past few years. I think the Universe might be trying to tell me something.

ForMyGirls: I am back to 3 points. It seems my longest streak thus far has been 6 OP days for both exercising and my food plan. Hopefully, that will change now that I have booted some former offenders to the curb. I give myself credit though for getting back on track asap.

BBE Great Job on your 23 day streak.

Janelle(shcirerf) aka regular lurker: Great Job on maintaining your weight loss for 2 years. Thanks for the tips on icing.

vegan...rex: Good Job on avoiding the temptations at the party. It is always hard when others eat differently to find something at all. I always remember my daughter (a vegan for 20+ years) who used to eat one thing sometimes at family gatherings decades ago (this was when she was 8 years old!) until she was old enough to bring her own food. She is very principled and strong willed but all in good things.

maryblu back! Yes, CBT can be used for anything really. We have the book "Mind Over Mood" which follows this principles that my DH used for depression. I hear, love and understand your sense of peace and freedom; having experienced that myself in other areas of my life. Nothing like it in the world!

Well, tomorrow we have another live musical concert that we are going to attend. I just wish it weren't going to be pouring down rain the whole day and night. Yes, it's not snow like the rest of the country but it sucks to be dodging puddles in the dark. Last year, I got double pneumonia from such an event attendance.

Take care, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-13-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #114  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

hello all my beck friends!
today makes 7 OP days in a row for me and I’m feeling groovy!!
last night was gym night, I had the trainer go easy on me . . . just a kick butt upper body workout.
I did the elliptical last night too but didn’t go fiercely like I usually do.
I woke up this morning and the knee felt good, but as I was walking during my commute to work, I could feel it buggin’ out again . . . even with the brace.
I don’t mean to keep complaining about this as the pain is minimal, but it’s just disruptive and it’s pissin’ me off!!
it’s gonna be soooooooooooooo hard not to dance tomorrow night at the big x-mas party, bumma.

I’m meeting a friend for a glass of wine tonight and looking forward to it.
he mentioned “getting apps” while we were there, but I replied “I will likely be all set with food but I’m really looking forward to a glass of wine”.
he replied “ok, I will eat before”.
HOW EASY WAS THAT TO GET OUT OF, HUH?
I want to eat when I get home as I have it all planned that I’m making the delish tofu and kale scramble that is sooo yummy!!
I don’t want to eat stupid appetizers at a bar anymore.

nationalparker, Nice job with the pizza showdown . . . YOU WON!!! You’re so close to the 160s you can taste it!!! It will be exciting to watch you hit that milestone.

beth, Congrats on the 100% OP day YAY YOU!!! Credit for keeping weight stable all this time, a major feat. By the way, I don’t know how to PM nor where to find it on here.

seadwaters, I hear ya about the carbs in fruit, but I still have all I want as I know it’s not fruit making me or keeping me fat. But I understand your goal and good for you for sticking with it. I guess there is some spontaneous eating that I feel is ok, as long as it’s fresh fruit or veggies (I follow WW plan where all fruit and veggies are free, zero points. But to combine WW with Beck plan, I do understand it should all be planned out, I’m not there yet but following the WW plan 100%).

ForMyGirls, 8 days in a row for you, YAY!!! So awesome to hear you didn’t blow off what you said you would do, even when it was 8:00 at night, major credit!!

Bill, You are on a roll!!! 23 days OP, going to the gym, credit galore. Your gift-giving arrangement with your wife sounds precious, it works for both of you so it works!!

shcirerf, Thanks again for the ice pack tip!! Appreciate it!!

gardenerjoy, We’ve got a storm coming here in Boston too. I have a fun x-mas party to go to tomorrow night and hoping the roads are ok to go, I was looking so forward to it. Thanks for your tip on the icepack as well, great idea!!

vegan, Got your email, hopefully I’ll get back to you tonight.

maryblu, Welcome back!! I don’t remember you but look forward to getting to know you. What is the original purpose of CBT that you are needing? I’m not clear on that. I love Dr. Weil, have several of his books, and love his roasted butternut squash soup recipe, it’s the BEST!!

pamatga, I have a tri-core addiction too . . . food, booze and butts. My relationships are healthy and I’m a frugal soul . . . for me, it’s all about the substances!! God bless me!! Enjoy the concert!!

Last edited by LuLu01801; 12-13-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

I have been waiting for a quiet moment to check in because this is an important post. At Christmas, however, there is no quiet moment so here goes:

I have reached goal

After over three years of posting here and a lifetime of being overweight (including twice over 200 pounds), I can say I am a size of which I have dreamed. My advantage cards have come true. I weigh under 150 before I turn 50 in one week. I am a healthy wife and mother. I have found peace with food. More importantly, I feel free from the processed food addiction that has held my body hostage for years. I feel comfortable in my own skin. I have a beautiful new haircut and celebrated the big bday by becoming a redhead. I have donated the double digit work pants for single digits. I am not going back.

I could not have achieved this, I know, without posting here regularly. Thank you.

Last edited by maryann; 12-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #116  

congratulations Maryann

What a rock star you are!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #117  
Green Tomatoes

maryann: woohoo! Your post made me smile and cry at the same time. Love it. I'm so happy for you!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #118  

Veganasaurex - rewards wise I buy myself something small I am coveting (but really don't need so otherwise couldn't justify spending money on) each time I reach a 5kg mini goal. So far I've gotten a hatstand (which looks cool, but really hats can live in cupboards just fine), a holder for the front wheel of my bike when it is on an indoor trainer (sitting it on top of an old phone book did the job just as well but was pretty ugly) and a new wallet (old one was fine, but not nearly as pretty and much bulkier, which bugged me). I so know what you mean about the challenge of finding non food rewards. Another thought I had was cut flowers.

Pamatga - your comments about being over analytical really struck a chord. I was initially a bit hesitant about Beck because I had previously encountered CBT when seeking treatment for post-natal depression and found that it didn't work for me because it bought into my over analytical mind. (A natural tendency compounded by being professionally trained to look at situations from every possible angle and anticipate every possible disaster!) What worked for me in treating depression was mindfulness and acceptance and commitment therapy. Despite my initial concerns CBT is working well for me in this context - though I think mindfulness is actually playing a big part in how I am doing it. If you haven't yet encountered mindfulness you might find it helpful - given your comments about being a very analytical person. UPDATE: and now I have read the rest of your post and it occurs to me that you practice mindfulness exceptionally well already!

Last edited by ForMyGirls; 12-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #119  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

ForMyGirls. What do you mean by mindfulness???
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #120  

Hey LoseToAll,

I will put a couple of web links for more info because how I describe mindfulness will probably not do it justice. It is pretty huge in the psychology world at the moment so you will probably come across heaps of info if you google mindfulness.

But for my take on it - it is about living in the moment - noticing and accepting what you are feeling, thinking and experiencing and accepting that, rather than struggling and arguing with it. So as an example I might notice that I am thinking "I really want that chocolate" and instead of saying "well you can't have it - but I really want it - but you can't have it" (and on and on in an endless loop) I just say "oh - there's that wanting chocolate feeling again". It is amazing how it disempowers thoughts and feelings to just acknowledge them.

I use it in lots of other spaces in my life too. In a work context there have been times when I have gotten through anxiety or feelings of overwhelm by stopping and noticing and saying to myself "oh - apparently I'm scared I won't be able to do this". I use it as a parent too - it helps me think about what my kids need from me because I can acknowledge my own feelings about a situation rather than just reacting to them - eg: if they are behaving badly in a public space I can notice that I am feeling embarrassed and then think about why they are behaving like that and talk to them rationally rather than just getting angry.

I should emphasise I am very far from perfect on all these fronts - but using mindfulness means I react in a constructive way to challenging situations far more often than I used to.

One of my "exercise and Wellbeing" tasks is a 10 minute mindfulness meditation 4 times a week. Ideally I would do it everyday, and sometimes do longer than 10 minutes but I've accepted that 4 times a week every week is better than a goal of everyday that doesn't get met! It is pretty much a guarantee that I start to go pear shaped if I haven't done any for 3 or 4 weeks.

So - the links -
- one is to "The Happiness Trap" - a book about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which is how I found my way into mindfulness;
- the second is to a Jon Kabat-Zinn website - he is one of the main proponents I know of and his guided meditations are my favourites
Closed Thread