Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #121  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Kind of a wash day - nothing much accomplished. Trying to stave off DH's cold. He says I can't get sick this quickly if it's from him ... I don't know whether that's true, but I sure hope not. Dinner was breakfast for dinner, which is a favorite of mine. But I was veggie-less today.

Will catch up with all the posts tomorrow. Just wanted to check in today ... not doing the best. Need to track all calories. Not just the healthy ones.

Planned a trip home to my folks the first weekend of December to help them set up for Christmas and feel such a sense of relief over that. Hard time to leave work but will be on the road for work immediately preceding that. Mom is planning what I can help her with, so that's good. She hates asking for help, and now needs help with nearly everything, so it'll give my father a break.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #122  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Not surprisingly for a party night, I made good breakfast/lunch/snack choices and way overate at the party. Cleanup, though, included sending everything that wouldn't be OP for me home with someone. One of the guys said he could take it all into his office to be eaten--and that's better than having it at home here!

I did fill in that craving I'd been having--it seems to be gone (because I had something similar enough).

I don't like the feeling of being overfull--I did it to myself, knew I was doing it, and didn't stop--even knowing it wasn't enjoyable. The "eat eat eat" at parties is louder than my "I'm full I don't need anymore". I have come this far, though, and I will keep going!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches.
Feeling on track for the first time in a month or so. Not a 100% day but the headspace is back. Somehow I managed to remember that I am doing this for me - so that when chocolate beckoned I was able to think "Actually I want to be healthy more!" Looking forward to another day in the zone tomorrow :-)

So - some credits - credit for saying no to chocolate many times and building that resistance muscle. Credit for using the small amount of time I had between work and parenting today to get in a walk.

Thanks for being there all of you.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Full moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My moonbeam welcomed me to the kitchen this morning. I blushed. Was so good to see her again. We didn't discuss where she'd been. My walk, CREDIT moi, was to check out the migrating ducks at the nearby pond. It was a treat to see Hooded Mergansers. A U.K. bird watcher with us, new to the U.S., was confused when we saw a Common Loon. One guy remembered that the British call them Divers and she was back on track. Yay for English as a common language.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I nibbled some raisins because I was annoyed that I had to go borrow a long extension ladder to clear some rain gutters on our house. We've tried several of the 'gutter guard' ideas that are guaranteed to solve the problem, but don't. Leaves are more clever than people.

onebyone – LMAO at "gee, that's like half a pee." Keeping our house at 20C (68F) works for us.

nationalparker"Breakfast for dinner" sounds like a fun change. Yay for a mom who accepts help when she needs it.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – That "eat eat eat" at parties is one loud call; Kudos for recognizing it for what it is.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for the Helpful Response, "Actually I want to be healthy more!" Take that, chocolate!

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

When Ben, a single guy in his mid-20's, reviewed his daily routine, he recognized that he'd have to make some changes to fit all these things into his schedule. He usually skipped breakfast and frequently snacked instead of eating a healthful lunch. Then he'd grab fast food for dinner. He thought about what he'd have to do to follow his diet and wrote the schedule in his diet notebook.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 98.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #125  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
A U.K. bird watcher with us, new to the U.S., was confused when we saw a Common Loon. One guy remembered that the British call them Divers and she was back on track. Yay for English as a common language.
Really wanted a swede ( = rutabaga) here but this carrot will have to do.

I've always translated your loon as a Great Northern Diver, fwiw. How lovely. It'll be such fun for the British bird watcher to be out with you.

Still working on not eating when standing up.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-17-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 67"

Greetings, all. Although I have been AWOL I have largely been sticking to plan. However, I know from past experience that 85-90% isn't good enough (for me, at least). I mean that purely based on results. That 10-15% is enough to derail me with an extra beer, an extra wedge of dark chocolate, eating past feeling full.

On the credit side, I'm making progress in finding ways to plan for workouts of lifting and speed-walking (can't run with gimpy knee).

I think over Thanksgiving break I'll re-read the sections about dealing with the unexpected. For the coming week, plan two more days of after-work workouts and plan dinner by lunchtime. Those will be wins.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #127  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Very nervous today as we're right in the epicenter of the high risk of severe weather today and I get worried about tornadoes. We're under a tornado watch, not warning, so far. They say it'll be about 3-4 hours until it really kicks in high gear with 70 mph wind gusts expected, sustained over 30 mph with the expected severe thunderstorms. We'll see how it all rolls through. I'm finding myself walking into the kitchen to calm myself with SOMETHING every 20 minutes or so, but credits so far, all I've taken has been a small handful of unshelled pistachios ... that is okay for me as a snack. Breakfast was light. Once I heard that the risk was raised to high from moderate (at 5 a.m.) ... I couldn't fall back to sleep after DH left for work.

I can't control the outcome, so I hate it that I worry. DH said prep the closet with blanket, flashlight, etc. and I've added in the pet carriers/crate so I'm ready ... I need to get into a good book today and just immerse myself and my mind and still enjoy what I can of the day. Got chores done early, and laundry is wrapping up.

I appreciate the mentions on here of how much less food we need as we age. It's slowly sinking in. Slowly.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 180/164/140

Height: 5' 5"

Question Beginnings . . .

BillBlueEyes I’d been reading the Pink Book on Kindle – fine for novels, I think, but not so good for books like PB when I wanted to go back and forth. Anyway, the print version arrived yesterday, so I went and bought my supplies – cards etc – and here’s my first Advantages Response Card.

Quote:
1 I’m controlling my blood sugar
2 I’m controlling my weight
3 I’m controlling my leg vein problems better
4 I’m controlling my cholesterol better
5 My back and joints are starting to feel better
6 If I need a second hip replacement, it’ll be later rather than sooner
7 I’m becoming more mobile
I suppose that those in the book are meant to help counter the SS thoughts which the author’s patients most often have, If so, it’s up to me – hopefully with Readers’ help – to make cards to fit any other problematic thoughts.

Although the book takes weeks to read on the suggested daily basis, and so far I’ve only skimmed it, I have a question about hunger and meals. Meals are to be scheduled, with no snacking. Hunger between meals is to be put up with. But what about hunger after finishing meals? From my limited knowledge, a weight-loss diet involves taking in fewer calories than the body needs to maintain its present weight. Doesn’t that mean ending every meal with some remaining hunger, for which the remedies are “Oh Well”, reading one’s cards, or distraction?

Please forgive what must seem a rather naïve question, but one must start from where one is.

I'm still volunteering at a large charity and at the local doctors' surgery. Next weekend, weather permitting - snow is forecast - I plan to travel to lunch with my sister, for her birthday, and hopefully with my daughter and son-in-law. For the longer term, I'm practising to sing the Rachmaninov "Vespers" in London next January.

Take care, all
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #129  
Green Tomatoes

I've come to the same conclusion as bethfromDayton: "I don't like the feeling of being overfull." But some part of me seemed to want convincing, so I had to try a few times the last few days. I really don't like it! It negatively effects my sleep, my energy level, and my ability to concentrate (among other things).

So, stopping all that now. I have a written plan and I'm following it today. I'm committed to posting daily, but I'm going to wait a few days before I step on the scale again.

In spite of nearly all my routines falling apart, I continued my daily exercise and my daily task for the Beck De-clutterers thread. I see a pattern -- what I log is what happens, even when other things fall apart. So, I want to think about ways to log more of my healthy lifestyle activities.

MikeB: I believe my hunger instinct to be broken, so I ignore it, for the most part, and just follow my schedule and food plan. If I'm not getting the results I want, then I reduce a serving size or lighten up a snack or reduce the number of snacks. On good days, I don't notice much hunger. On other days, for no apparent reason, I feel hungry most of the time. "Oh well" and a good distraction work well for me.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, coaches.

This weekend was very emotional for me. Dh and I really dug into some emotional sink holes we have and crawled back out. I was so grateful to remember (what a loyal trooper he is.) Then home today to DS and my mom who was babysitting. I spent the whole day with her shopping and going to a Sacramento Kings game. It was the best time I have spent with her in years and I realize that was because she didn't drink. I know I can't let my happiness depend on whether or not some else drinks but I am grateful for the "gimme" as DH calls it.

So in a loaded, beautiful, bittersweet weekend my food was incredibly sane. Although I ate more than I have been eating, I ate "sparingly" most of the time. Still I really fear stepping on the scale because I want to remember that whatever it says, I was really a success. But I dread the gain that eating out creates. Well, I guess I'll just have to deal with that tomorrow. Tonite, the kitchen is closed. My stomach is more full than I like (as Beth and Gardenerjoy have said. Eating more will not change that.

I believe that if I go to bed in one hour I will wake with a fresh idea of how to be. And so I will let lay this anxiety to bed.

More tomorrow

Last edited by maryann; 11-17-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

nationalparker- hope the storm has abated by now!

maryann - glad that you had a successful weekend all around!

MikeB - I am sitting here hungry hungry hungry right now! But it's 10:30 pm and I just do not need to eat. I had an evening snack last night while watching a movie with my kids and it was fun, but I can't do it regularly. Today I was done eating at 7pm. I will live till tomorrow morning!!!

But I am not usually hungry after I finish a meal. I know I ate plenty of food today, so I don't believe that this is true hunger. I believe that it is "I know there is one last piece of pumpkin bread in the kitchen and I had some yesterday but not today and I really want it" hunger, kwim?

And even if I really am hungry - it is not an emergency!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, in weather so warm I was peeling off layers. DW spotted a tree with small flowers blooming. Yikes, that's one confused tree. In the warm afternoon, our bush with red berries was hosting three Robins, two Northern Cardinals, a Mockingbird, and a Blue Jay - an unusually dense collection for our small yard.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I wanted a second evening snack and just didn't. The rain right now is gentle - should make DW happy. But it blocks my moonbeam so I can't be sure she's there or not. I worry about her.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It bugs me sometimes that I only do what's on my list - seems degrading to be driven by a list.

silverbirch – So capitalization matters. If your kid says, "dirty swede vegetable," he gets a hug. If he says, "dirty Swede vegetable," he gets his mouth washed out with soap.

maryann - Kudos for the courage to tackle such a challenging weekend. Yay for the "gimme" from your mom.

nationalparker – Weather stories from your part of the world are awful; hope you're OK. I agree, this less food as you age is a bummer.

sparks17 – LOL at the "one last piece of pumpkin bread" - funny that we always know exactly how much of a food is left.

anakin - Interesting that the 10-15% makes the difference. Kudos for the planning of exercise and dinners.

MikeB - Interesting point about the Kindle. I'm still resisting, although I do feel jealous on an airplane when I'm carrying three books since I don't know which I'll feel like reading and the guy next to me has 100 books on his Kindle. Neat ARC, "5 My back and joints are starting to feel better" - one of the unexpected. My experience is that hunger after meals decreased markedly after thirty minutes or so. In the evenings when I'm feeling the snackies, I have to find something to do that interests me more than what I'm doing. You got me listening to Rachmaninov "Vespers" as I type this morning.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

How did Ben find the time? He did some problem solving. For one thing, he got out of bed a little earlier each weekday. He didn't particularly like doing this at first, but his desire to lose weight trumped his desire for that extra time in bed. Instead of always sitting on the couch watching TV, he watched some programs while he was preparing his meals. He cut down the time he spent on the computer by a few minutes each evening so he could plan meals for the next day and do other program tasks. Since he was particularly rushed on Tuesdays and Thursdays - he played basketball after work - Ben decided to bring his game clothes to work and change there instead of going home. He also decided to bring a substantial snack so he wouldn't be starving when the game was over. Ben quickly got used to his new routine and, before long, didn't have to keep a written schedule. His dieting activities became automatic.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 98.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

hello coaches,

7 minutes till bedtime so I shall be brief (in as much as I ever can be!)

Completely on track today. Yay. Lots of cravings but I could remember when there weren't lots of cravings so could quash them with thoughts of how nice it will be when they subside again. Particularly proud of NOT buying chocolate when I had to stop for forgotten dinner ingredients on the way home.

Nationalparker - hoping the storm subsides!

MikeB - I think for me the biggest thing that has changed from Beck is the discovery that a little bit hungry is actually a normal / perfectly tolerable way to be and that when I'm doing something I'm interested in I tend to forget I am 'hungry' very quickly. There is a great exercise in the Beck book - probably in the first 2 weeks - of missing lunch for a day and actually examining how hungry you are. I found it very helpful in changing my feelings about hunger. Very jealous about the Vespers. Singing them is very high on my bucket list!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #134  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Although the book takes weeks to read on the suggested daily basis, and so far I’ve only skimmed it, I have a question about hunger and meals. Meals are to be scheduled, with no snacking. Hunger between meals is to be put up with. But what about hunger after finishing meals? From my limited knowledge, a weight-loss diet involves taking in fewer calories than the body needs to maintain its present weight. Doesn’t that mean ending every meal with some remaining hunger, for which the remedies are “Oh Well”, reading one’s cards, or distraction?

Please forgive what must seem a rather naïve question, but one must start from where one is
Mike, when you said, "<eals are to be scheduled, with no snacking. This is my understanding....Meals and snacks are to be scheduled and effort is made(using Beck skills) to not deviate from the written plan (which includes permitted snacks). My food plan, SouthBeach, encourages a snack between each meal, and an after dinner before bed snack. I used to need those inbetween snacks but not so much any more.

Anyway....

Hi Coaches!
I am on my way to work. I bought, and started reading M.Bittmans, VeganBefore6. It's a great idea for me and I did that yesterday...everything else fitting into my SBD plan. It worked great, especially at work. Scale is coming down....must grab my smoothie and go (sometimes I have to take it to work).

MaryAnn, kudos for such a successful weekend!

everyone else!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

Back again this morning, with a food plan in place. Woohoo! This is how I get back on track. At some point, in the next few days, I want to think more about how not to go off track.

Picked up sticks from the wind storm yesterday for my exercise -- many steps and lots of squats, so I got a good workout for the legs. The storms got much worse east of us, so I'm thinking about all those people today.
Closed Thread