Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I finally got the cable feed for the TV at a jack on the south wall of the living room - moved from the west wall. Feeding cable through walls - after they are finished - still challenges me. CREDIT moi for completion of the living room portion of the task. There's still some attaching in the basement to complete.

Food was only good enough; CREDIT moi for being aware. DW wanted to see Robert Redford's All is Lost. One gets 96 minutes of his face and less than a dozen words. The reviews are good; I left wishing for more character development than resilience. I did spend time admiring that the 77 year old character was agile climbing into a boat from the water up a rope - that takes some strength.

onebyone – Yay for drywall when that's what's missing.

CeeJay - Sending supportive thoughts as you remember your BIL. Ouch for a rotten week, with Kudos for "oh well, that's over, and move ahead."

maryann - Interesting that you can "identify the anxiety that leads up to overeating" - the really difficult part before taking action.

nationalparker – Love your use of candles to create a calming environment. My read is that we can take "Day One" as often as needed; each time is experience banked and lessons learned.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – I can appreciate that medical reasons can make hunger a true emergency. I've always admired my friend who religiously eats a single cracker as needed.

sparks17 – Sounds like a plan, "Whatever it is - moderation. Control."

Ilene - Super Kudos for "I am getting a better at being able to differentiate between hunger, craving and mindless eating" - I'm occasionally capable of ignoring that. Neat that your DS and wife are making the trip to see you.

anakin - Yay for "I'm not going to indulge earlier" despite the "rumbling."

LoseToAll - Yep, Kudos for halving a chocolate muffin. The Captain Phillips movie was essentially true to the book - the details changed for cinematic affect were reasonable to me. The one item in question was the exact reason the pirate leader left the life raft - the book made that ambiguous rather than clear-cut as in the movie..

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

Dieting takes a commitment that goes beyond eating differently. For starters, you'll need time to plan meals, to make lists, to shop for food, and to cook. You'll need to eat slowly, to exercise, and to read your Response Cards. It all takes fortitude and mental energy, especially if and when sabotaging thoughts get in the way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 97.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #92  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

These projects, and the uprooting of life as I used to know it is becoming an acceptable part of my routine. Credit. That said, we grabbed DD and granddaughter and headed over the hill after work last night. I have at least one pool day and intend to take advantage of it.
Yesterday, I had many credits. I enjoyed my morning smoothie, I had an appropriate meal at work and I did not have costcopizza on the way over and instead had costcorealcrabsushi. Credit. I purchased Amyshealthypizza to cook on our arrival and found some yummy premade chopped veggie/barley soup for our lunch today. Each positive choice I can make moves me forward.
I'm grateful I had some time to myself this morning (with good internet) to check in. Now DH is up, baby is stirring and my day will be filled with others. 1 hr until pool opens. I'm working on a plan to get there to visit with my friends knowing we will go back later with the entire family.
I continue to wish you all the best as we work together from all our different spaces to live our lives with food sanity.

BBE, Kudos for yet another month of maintenance and your continued devotion to our group.

CeeJay,I thought of you many times yesterday. My nephew is in Afghanistan right now. Thank you for reminding us of the simple act of hugging our loved ones. Thank you, too, for remembering me, even when I'm not "here" I am always reading.

nationalparker, kudos for arranging your environment in a pleasant way after returning home from a rough day. I do believe that emphasizing your success is very important. I read many successes each time you post. I think one of the best is to keep posting here!

Beth(fromDayton), big credit not eating over an emotionally rough day! Kudos, also for dealing with those clothes that no longer fit!

LoseToAll, nice job halving that muffin!

onebyone, nice that the landlord is coming through with studio improvements. It's nice to have you back since you got back online w/birthday gift! Great job getting back to cooking from scratch!

Ilene, thanks for the line, "Today I had many credits" (and sharing them with us)! My perception when I hear that is that when we emphasize the positive it provides the good headspace to move forward with another day! Credit!

CatHill, kudos for a great retreat and for joining a gym!

sparks17, I love your two key words….moderation...control. That's thinking like a thin person!

anakin, kudos for coming here and posting on a day when you felt "unsatisfiable". What I've noticed by coming here is we all have those days.

maryann, so interesting to me that the cleaner you eat the easier it is to notice the anxiety that leads up to overeating. Credit for hopping right back on the wagon.

gardenerjoy, great that your insight to post in the evening anticipating things might not be back to normal "tomorrow". I love when the healthy habits kick in automatically….benefits of continuously working a program!

The family is rising….must go…

to all I have missed. Thanks, all, for sharing your daily journeys.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Good morning! Last night we had a change of plans and I actually ate dinner at home. Good because it was real food not fast food. Bad because - it was so tasty I had unplanned seconds! I ate a bag of broc/caul before I had dinner, which was Arroz Con Pollo with Black Beans on the side. I usually only make it if I am not going to eat it - I try not to eat white rice! - or we are having company.

This made me think about the holidays. In the past I have lost my grip on weight loss around Christmas and then slowly started gaining everything back in the new year. I want to avoid this, lol!!! But how do I balance meals for my husband and me, which should be lower empty carb and high protein/vegetables. And then my daughter who is allergic to everything but eats rice and beans like a champ! And my other three children who are healthy, normal weight, no issues, and just want their traditional foods like always.

I know the big picture answers - self-control and moderation to start with. Some things my husband and daughter and I are just going to have to NOT EAT, as I don't want to ruin the holidays for the other kids.

But I thought of this. I want to make a list of what I usually make and when I usually make it. Instead of having treats available for 6 weeks I have narrowed it down to certain days. I will give the kids a list of the usual desserts and they each get to choose a top 3, and I can guarantee them that I will make each one once. We are hopeful that my daughter will be able to eat more next year so I am treating this as a temporary change. I will also test out a few new recipes, so we can start having new favorites. I hope. I can plan to allow myself dessert on certain days - I think there are 5 days in December that I will still make our usual stuff, plus an extra option or two for my daughter. Lots of work, sigh. Those are the days to practice moderation. Other days I will need to just be NO CHOICE.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #94  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up did it. 1/4wrkouts done this week.

Coaches

I think I've found the optimum time for me to do my extended workout: 3:30/4:00. I just tried that and I'm not creatively productive then, usually just passing time until I pick DH up from work. My extended workout is 10 min warmup on bike+7 weight machine exercises, 1 freeweight exercise and ab crunches(blech) done twice+20 minutes of interval work on the treadmill with a 5 min cooldown. I was going to do all that yesterday morning but with the snowfall (blech) I just never went. I'm supposed to go 4x a week, 5 is above and beyond, so I am on fitness plan even with delaying until today. Tomorrow is just cardio--seems easy and fast. I can't believe I am enjoying the gym. *credit moi for enjoying the gym*

Foodwise I continue to clean up my act. On plan 100% today. Weigh-in should be Thursday morning. This weekend's salt bombs are slowly leaving my system. *credit* for knowing the # on the scale is just information and not a measure of much else ie. not a reason to panic and then fall into despair. Just hold the line.

Have a great night everyone.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #95  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Whoo hoo...two days OP Alone again tonight as DH is working his last night shift. Dinner was big salad and chicken. Put in for the afternoon off tomorrow - car maintenance and hopefully some of the home projects. Being off tomorrow is all I can think about this evening... We have an office Thanksgiving luncheon tomorrow. I'd initially signed up for the first time in years to attend, but with more than 250 or so there, I don't worry about skipping it. Will feel guilty, but not too much. I don't need the extra calories and temptation on Day 3 on track.

Cold in the 20s/30s here today ... 60 on Sunday. Go figure. This is as I'm getting my snow tires put on.

Thanks for the review, Bill - I like more dialog than that in a movie (Lost at Sea) ... I struggled with Tom Hanks' Castaway and I really like Hanks. I would LOVE to live where I didn't need a car and could use zipcar for hardware store runs.

OneByOne - Great discovery on the perfect time for building in the activity to your day. Completely understand your desire to skip on a snowday. Ugh.

Sparks17 - Understand your desire to keep the holiday treats still part of the holiday, but also remember that times spent together having fun and making memories will trounce the food for the kids, too, so even if they just pick one, that makes it special. Good plan in advance!

CeeJay – I hope the remembrance service was moving. I, too, add my condolences over your BIL’s passing. You are doing well with two good goals met – what Beck’s features do you find the most helpful?

Lexxiss - I sure hope you get good rest because your notes are always so filled being action! Kudos for skipping the Costco pizza. About 15 years ago I used to enjoy a slice of cheese pizza every month, not knowing it was all the calories I should be eating in one day ... not even mentioning the fat. Ack.

Ilene – Are there other foods that you can swap into your meal plan that are more filling so you’re not hungry all the time? That would derail me too easily. I hope your time with your son/his wife are wonderful! Treasure it!

Beth – I can commiserate with your rough day that sapped energy… great job ordering well at the lunch out. How does it feel to walk now – I miss some posts here and just jump back in.

Maryann – Keep on keeping on – You are RIGHT THERE!! Look back at this year and be impressed…month-by-month, the ticker is dropping!

Waving hi to all others and hoping our new members are doing well!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #96  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I wrote some new response cards this morning for my after work reading and then wrote one at work to prep for the evening. We went out for dinner and Bob Evan's bread is usually a hard thing for me--but I ordered well and was very clear to DH and to myself--I will be GLAD if I don't get a second order of bread. I will be happy that I didn't have it and if I suggest getting one, then please remind me of that. Well, I actually didn't finish my "dessert" (a cup of fresh fruit) because I was full--and didn't order more bread.

This evening has been tough at home, though--I've really wanted to eat. My mind keeps going back to the "I'll be glad if I don't eat more tonight"--and although I have to keep telling myself that, it is working.

I haven't been exercising--I need to get that back into my life, but am concentrating right now on the eating behaviors, since I'd been slipping there.

Oh--I hit a new low today--178.8. I never want to see 180 again.

Have a good night, all.

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 11-12-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #97  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!
I've lost 2 kilos since last time I posted, which is good. But at the moment I'm sick which is getting me down. I'm fairly certain I have gastro and I'm waiting to get better before I do more exercise. I did exercise the other day at a slower pace and I ended up regretting it and having to spend half the day in bed.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #98  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Sadie Hawkins Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I completed the basement portion of the job to move the cable from one wall to the other in the living room. CREDIT moi for finishing a job that had bugged me so much that the Sabotaging Thought to leave the not-publicly-visible part undone called loudly. That last part of the job was the only part that went easier than expected; I spent more time dawdling to get started than I did working.

Dinner included bread made from Einkorn wheat - totally new to me. I had no idea that the wheat grown for the convenience of giant combines ("the green revolution") has less nutrition, less protein, less resistant to disease than heritage wheat(s). Makes my heart sing that a small die-hard group on the planet seeks to preserve foods of value. Now I want to grow a tiny patch of wheat and make my own loaf of bread.

onebyone – Kudos for selecting a workout time that you're likely to use often. And Kudos for recognizing that salt bombs will leave.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "costcorealcrabsushi" rather than "costcopizza" - anything but costoFREEsamples, LOL. Thanks for the reminder, "Each positive choice I can make moves me forward."

nationalparker – Kudos for skipping an office luncheon because "I don't need the extra calories and temptation on Day 3 on track" - it's so easy to justify going so that no one will feel hurt.

VioletDolphin83 – Congrats on that kilo gone, but Ouch for feeling sick. Hope your body gets tired of being in bed and recovers quickly.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for not finishing dessert because you were full despite it being a healthy one. Congrats on that new low.

sparks17 – Super Kudos for the thoughtful planning for holiday treats. Taking inventory of when you've prepared treats in the past so you can make changes is a wise step.

Readers -
Quote:

Don't assume that this time and energy will magically make itself available to you. If you're like most people your days may already be very busy with work, family responsibilities, housework, social events, volunteer work, and other commitments. Most dieters I've counseled over the years couldn't consistently find the time they needed to follow their diets until they created the time. In other words, they needed to look at their calendars and - in writing - schedule in time for dieting. Often, this meant decreasing, delegating, or eliminating some tasks and activities.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

I did a self-check on my calories this past week. My 7-day average was 1,592. My highest day was 1,981 and my lowest was 1,216. I am right where I want to be!

Violet - hope you feel better soon.

Bill - you made me think of the Little Red Hen, talking about growing your own wheat!

Beth - you are at my goal weight!! Well, I may want to set a new goal when I get there but I think under 180 is amazing!!!

Nationalparker
- Thanks for the reminder. The holidays are about way more than food!! I've discussed it with two of the children so far and the discussion included candles and decorating and advent calendars as well as food.

onebyone - Giant credit for enjoying the gym!!

Oh, I thought that I should mention that I did some aerobics in the pool yesterday. WHAT A WORKOUT!! I really felt it all over my body, in a good way. Can't wait to go back on Friday!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #100  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default just trying to avoid my cat's gaze

Coaches

My cat Caesar has his eyes *almost* closed. If he catches me looking at him he may decide to wake up and come bug me. I don't want to be bugged by Caesar, so I am watching the screen and avoiding him. I think he may be--crap I looked--no he's not asleep again. He hasn't woken up to come bug me so I may be lucky...

Foodwise still tracking*credit still onplan*credit. I think I may have to accept that my weigh-in day is Saturday vs. the Thursday that I used to have. It seems my Thursdays keep getting filled with outside obligations and I can't ever get to that meeting. Saturday morning seems doable. So, for now, I'll consider the Saturday weigh-in my official one.

Today I will find out who won the Downtown Markham Mural contest I was in. One of the 19 of us will be awarded the $5000 commission to create a piece of public art for the development site. I sure hope it's me. I think there were other artists who had way more social network contacts and I believe they won the popularity vote. Still. You never know. My invite to the award ceremony says it starts at 4pm and goes to 7pm. Dumb hours, but I think this is because the Mayor will be there and DH says the Mayor doesn't want to do any overtime. If I lived in Toronto this would be Mayor Rob Ford (HA) but it's Markham, just north of Toronto. My goal will be to shake the Mayor's hand. There is a cocktail reception and a viewing of the artwork between 4 and 5 with the official ceremony at 5. DH has to get off from work early to go there with me. I hope to win but will be surprised if I do. I'm not sure how to eat at this event, except to choose wisely. I am going to aim to minimize the calories that's for sure. Once we finish there I am heading to the gym for my workout--just cardio--but knowing that takes the edge off of the food issue for me. I will have a chance to burn some of it away right away.

I stepped on my scale and saw 269 this morning. It is taking FOREVER to drop the salt weight. I will drink more water today and also have some green tea. I would like to at least be where I was last Saturday for this Saturday's weigh in. Thankfully, it's only Wednesday.

ok, laundry awaits! seeya.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #101  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

I still haven't gotten back to doing a written plan, but my breakfast/lunch/snack are still exactly what I plan the night before, even if I don't write it down. I've got a response card on my desk at work to read before I do my end of day tasks: "I worked too hard staying OP today to blow it by going off plan tonight." That seems to be speaking to me.

Today, I also read the couple of cards I'm keeping on the passenger seat in my car. It does make a difference--refreshing my brain at night for what I'm trying to do. It's more than just the advantages--it's the reminder that off plan at night equals unhappy news at the scale. (Yeah, it's just information--but it's information that would say I'd been off plan!)

I have developed a craving for a particular sweet. I've had it for several days now and it has not gone away. I also have not given in to it. I have told myself I can have one Saturday if I still want one then. Credit for not just giving in. Credit for giving myself a schedule. Credit for recognizing that cravings are NOT hunger.

onebyone: Credit for the food tracking--that is impressive and worthy of great credit! I hope the art event went well tonight.

sparks17: It's great that your calorie intakes are where you want them to be--that's the definition of success! I know what you mean about "under 180" being your goal--180 has been my goal all year--it's 50 lbs, it's my halfway point, it's a weight I can't remember when I was last at. That's why I have my overall goal (130), my mini-goals (under 8 lb drops, currently 175), and my mental-goal (which is currently 168). It's confusing but it keeps my daydreams interesting! It's good to hear you're having good conversations with the kids about what the holidays are going to be like.

BillBE: Patching walls is *fun*--if you say that enough, you might start to believe it. Credit for finishing a job that is literally out-of-sight. Making one's own bread sounds dangerous to me!

VioletDolphin: Congrats for being down weight-wise, but I'm sorry you're under the weather. I hope you get the rest you need.

nationalparker: I give you credit for skipping the Thanksgiving luncheon--that can be hard to do--but those things are so challenging, food-choice wise! I'm still not walking for exercise again--that was about the only high note in my old job! My new job doesn't have the same kind of corridors to make hallway walking feasible.

Lexxiss for your constant upheaval--and big smiles and for handling it so well!

Ilene: Thinking of you and hoping the visit from DS & family is going well. It's hard to be hungry--I hope you can find an intake level and type that works for you.

Take care, all!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Beckies,

onebyone- great news about being onplan. Hope you enjoy the awards ceremony, no matter the outcome. And imagine that-- enjoying the gym. Your story about your grandfather was really amazing.

sparks17- nice average calories for the week. Pool aerobics sounds fun. And no sweating- that's a bonus. . I am with you on the Christmas thing- I absolutely need to not fall into any sugar and fat over-consumption. I hate that pattern. Binge in December and regroup in January. Your plan sounds good- love the idea of specific days set aside for eating a few extras. Thanks for that because it helped me see that I really need a solid plan for the month.

Lexxiss- thank you for your wishes. I wish for your nephew a safe return. You are doing great keeping healthy in your crazy schedule.

BillBlueEyes- how did the Einkorn wheat bread taste? I learned a lot about the manipulation of wheat in the Sugar, Fat, Salt book. Who knew? Also thank you for your supportive thoughts.

VioletDolphin83- congratulations on the 2 kilo lost- fantastic. Hope you are feeling better soon.

bethFromDayton- very nice going with your restaurant meal. Such good news about being out of the 180's. That is awesome.

nationalparker- yay for two days OP. Thanks for your kind words. The Beck things I find most helpful over time is the advantage and response cards, the notion of taking credit, and this group, if that counts. I have read a zillion weight loss books and Beck's books were the only ones that really impacted me positively. What I need to work on is eating slowly. I am a life long food bolter. What do you find the most helpful?

Ilene-that was a nice list of credits.

LoseToAll-waving hello. Hope you are having a good week.

anakin-credit for reading posts instead of eating!

maryann-thank you for your thoughts. Hope you are doing well. It is real progress to get back to sane eating quickly after not so sane eating.

For me- a mostly healthy week so far. Have done all the exercise I committed to. Have read advantage and response cards and logged everything at Sparks. Have eaten healthy except for a choice to go to Chinese buffet at lunch yesterday with co-workers, even though I had my regular lunch in the fridge. And what a dumb thing because a) scale was 289 not 287 this AM= water weight and b) it is a lousy restaurant with mediocre food- if you are going to go off plan why with substandard food? I compensated by eating my healthy salad and chicken lunch for dinner though.

Off to the city tomorrow for a concert, hotel stay, and then shopping on Friday. Should be fun. I know where we are eating and what I am eating so should be doable.

Take care
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #103  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

Ordered my Beck book today. Now I am excited to get it here and read it.

Stayed in calories today but ate out for breakfast and I had to guess at calories for the breakfast burrito I had so no idea if I did good or not. I have a fast day tomorrow. My goal was for 230 tomorrow. I was on a month experiment for the 5:2 fast diet and I lost 10 lbs but I will not be at 230 tomorrow. Official weigh in is Friday. I will continue my 5:2 experiment and set a new goal for Christmas. How do you find out the 10% weight loss goal??? Someone posted it once but I forgot how to do it. Take the starting weight and....??? Any help please?

End of a long day. My husband is working until midnight so I am on my own putting the kids to bed and that is after dinner, scouts, homework and such. I am ready for bed right now but duty calls.

Hope you all have a great night. Cheers.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

I feel like I was paroled tonite. I was supposed to go out to eat with the girls and all I wanted to do was keep to my streak of being OP after Saturday's jump into food addiction. And guess what? The girls rescheduled.

I realized how many days are 'special" food situations in my life. If I had to go out tonight it would be THREE in a week. That is almost most of the week. Looking at the next two weeks, everything looks packed with food activities. My only solution is planning and Easy Does it. I had to go out for breakfast this morning but I drove back to my house to have my normal morning smoothie for lunch. Now I can catch up with a low calorie dinner and so it goes. Small choice by small choice has been adding up for me.

Also, posting here has been a huge help. I give a big "Thank you" to BethfromDayton. I was able to adopt her rule "No Sweets at Work" and it was a huge help.

I made a big mistake at work today. I thoughtlessly offended a coworker. I made an immediate amends and came home to torture myself as usual but without food as an analgesic. I meditated for awhile and came to a huge awakening. It is my flaws that bring me to my high power which I call "Good Orderly Direction" (god). When I am in pain from my defects and not medicating them, I become closer to the peace within. I am worth receiving peace and comfort from god. Even though I am still "ouching" this moment, I know I will be a better person tomorrow.

Last edited by maryann; 11-13-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was a potluck with my reading group. I did well with the main course, CREDIT moi, but doubled up on dessert - Ouch. Some potlucks have too many desserts and not enough salads.

Walked, CREDIT moi, in the chilly sunshine. Each year it worries me that I feel cold when it's only 35 degrees F since much colder is coming. But each year I toughen up and get used to the cold.

onebyone – Glad that you don't have the Toronto mayor if our local papers are reporting true stories. Keeping my fingers crossed for your contest - the site still doesn't post the winner that it promised to post on the 13th. Kudos for still on plan.

CeeJay - Neat thought, don't bother going off plan with substandard food. [The Einkorn Wheat bread was super tasty - no added sugars and just the right amount of salt. Dripping with hearty.]

maryann - Love the notion of "Good Orderly Direction." Yay for the universe changing plans when that's what you needed.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, Kudos for using the strategy of promising yourself that sweet on Saturday if it's still calling.

sparks17 – Yay for pool aerobics; when I peek at my gym, folks seem to be having uber fun.

LoseToAll - My take on a 10% goal from 238 pounds is a loss of 23.8 pounds, getting to 214.2 pounds. Kudos for the daily attention to "duty" even when tired.

Readers -
Quote:

Today, I'd like you to do the same. Not only will there be a tangible benefit, but also there''ll be a symbolic benefit: you'll be saying, in effect, Yes, I get it ... This is going to take work, but I'm willing to do what it takes to lose weight ... It will be worth it.

Closed Thread