Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

LosetoAll: I got the pink book on double sale at Border's (2.50) I have thought often it was the world's cheapest solution.

BBE: Certainly cable routing must burn extra calories as does sewing. The mental strain must produce more heat/kcal.

nationalparker: I have found it a huge help to be able to skip a meal once in a while when I am not hungry. In a way it is freeing. And my DH wants me to stop losing weight. I have explained to him I have a goal and he understands. His fear ( I think) is that subconsciously I am doing it to remain attractive to him or maybe that he hasn't shown how much he loves me. It has nothing to do with him. In fact he loves me so much I have the courage to face my personal demons.

Ceejay: Yeh to back OP. It is a great place to be.

As for me, I saw a new low number today. 2 pounds under ticker. 1.8 pounds till black boots. I will keep that number in my head as I go to the party tonite.

Last edited by maryann; 11-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #77  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another weekend has passed by at the speed of sound. I wish the scientists would work harder on discovering why the earth turns much more rapidly on Saturdays and Sundays than it does Monday through Friday.

Overtired both days and even took a nap today in the sunshine streaming in a front window. Next to a warm fragrant dog, who will find herself in the tub tomorrow night. I'm not ambitious enough tonight to tackle it.

Just discovered Lark Rise to Candleford on streaming. I'm anticipating enjoying it this winter. I like the same actors that are in Downton Abbey, Cranford (a personal fav), and the Vicar of Dibley. Tomorrow night we're in for snow and sleet, they're saying... I am already planning soup and another episode.

Meal planning has been iffy at best and ignored at worst here lately. Instead of focusing on the week ahead, I'm going to do it a day at a time and consider that a success should I stick with it. WHEN I stick with it, I should say.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #78  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I had a big credit today that I want to share. I had my planned lunch and then we went out errand running. I was *starving* when we left Sam's Club and by the time we got home I was shaking (that whole blood sugar diabetes thing). On the way home, I decided I was going to have an open faced pb&j and some grapes--and that's what I did. I was still starving (because it takes a while for the food to get into the system).

My tendency has always been to keep eating until I stopped shaking. This time I didn't--my hands were shaking for about half an hour after I stopped eating (the intended amount) and kept telling myself "it takes a while for your body to recognize it's not starving anymore."

Credit for not falling into the trap of 'more food' when what I needed was more time to let the food do its job.

And for another credit, I was hungry at bedtime last night but reminded myself that hunger is not an emergency. I did just fine waiting until morning to eat.

Dinner was not as planned due to a surprise text from my son--he and DD would be here around dinner time--so, of course, we happily took them out to dinner. I overate a bit, but not horribly, and did have a margarita. I was very clear with myself that a margarita meant no evening ice cream treat--and although I had to speak sternly to myself, I didn't have one.

I'm going to plan tomorrow's meals and call it an early night. I only need a few things from the grocery store, so may wait until tomorrow to plant he week's meals and go grocery shopping on Tuesday.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I didn't mean to go AWOL and, when I did, I expected things to get back to normal tomorrow, but it's not clear that they will so I thought I'd post tonight to help me stay in a good place. I'm not planning and, so far, that's okay, but I know that's a slippery slope. It's nice to see that some of my other healthy habits kick right in. If it's lunch time, I fix a big salad, whether or not I have it written down on a plan for the day.

Welcome, LoseToAll! My take is that the Pink book without the workbook is perfectly fine. I bought the workbook but never used it as much as I thought I might. You can do the same sort of thing with a simple spiral notebook.

onebyone: I'm thrilled about the collaborative art show and that it went so well. Lots of credits there!

bethfromDayton: good for you for waiting until snack time and, then, for making a food plan for tomorrow! I like the idea of reading your response cards at the end of the work day before the evening.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #80  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow Hello

Coaches

I've tracked all my food *credit* and am just barely ok for the rest of the week. A very heavy food weekend for me. Looking forward to burning some of it off over the week at the gym. I have my weight routine workout tomorrow and with the cardio at the end of it I am in there about an hour and a half I think. I may go after DH is safely ensconced at work vs. trying to get it in before he needs the car for the day.

billblueeyes
Evil Dead The Musical (have you seen the Bruce Campbell film it's based on? A real classic! Though DH pointed out that the musical was a blend of Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 -- you may need to see both.) was pretty good. One part was fantastic, a song called Bit Part Demon. Hilarious. As for being in the splatter zone, well we were stage left of it. It jst missed us: rows of spraying apparatus showering the audience below with fake blood. Pretty goopy stuff. Audience members proudly posed for snaps when it was over. All very odd but amusing, but odd. DH said he was in the splatter zone after all as someone on the balcony above us got him with their drink

sparks17 the art show is a show organized by me for the members of two guilds: potters and spinners and weavers. We share the same facility. I have one collaborative piece in the show. The show goes until Dec 22nd when we close the facility for xmas break. I'm not doing any craft or art shows of my own right now. I'm re-grouping.

Ceejay Kudos for gettin 'er done.

to all
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Veterans Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Today's the day I tick my counter of months since my new journey. CREDIT moi for duration. I spent a long afternoon at a volunteer meeting whose main benefit was that no food was available during the whole time. Perhaps I should only spend time with folks who don't use food as a token reward for service.

Not much exercise; I used my car where I had intended to walk because I had an additional errand to run. In my next life I plan to restrict all my interests to people and activities within a two mile radius of my house. And own no car.

onebyone – Had to go read about Evil Dead The Musical. Apparently you guys started this at the Tranzac club in Toronto; now I could go to traveling version in Lynn, MA. Sounds fun. Have fun at gym.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waiting for "back to normal" seems like an increasing part of my normal, LOL. Always Yay for big salads.

maryann - Neat that you're less than a kilogram away from new black boots. Kudos for waiting - even though you're that close.

nationalparker – A proven working strategy, this: "a day at a time" - keep at it. Not ready to hear your "snow and sleet" thing.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, Kudos for "for not falling into the trap of 'more food' when what I needed was more time to let the food do its job." Yay for kids that come to visit.

sparks17 – Yay for the Y. And Thanks for teaching me a new phrase, "tired in a stretchy way."

Readers -
Quote:
Week 2 Get Set: Prepare to Diet

The Cognitive Therapy techniques you'll discover during Week 2 are designed to make the initial weeks of dieting go as smoothly as possible. As soon as you learn these additional skills, you'll have confidence that this time you'll succeed.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 97.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning:

BillBlueEyes-big credit to your success in maintenance. And I agree about food-free meetings-they would be a breath of fresh air.

onebyone-belated happy birthday to you. And fantastic weight loss for you.

gardenerjoy-nice to be where you are at-able to eat healthy without a plan. Thanks for advice on response to eating because I already blew it. Thinking of a response to "I deserve food because I have been doing well." That stumps me. Kinda like an alcoholic saying they are going to the bar to celebrate sobriety.

bethFromDayton-really great way that you dealt with the two food situations. Remembering hunger is not an emergency is a hard one for me.

nationalparker-we had snow on and off all weekend. I am enjoying the down time after what seems to be wall-to-wall fall chores.

maryann-yay for 2 more pounds gone!

Lexxiss-waving hello to you. Hope you are feeling better.

MikeB- welcome!

VioletDolphin- you are doing great sticking with exercise every day. That kind of consistency is going to pay off.

ForMyGirls-I like your posting of credits. I believe taking credit is really one of the keys to changing our approach to food, but it is hard to remember to do it.

Ilene-almonds are something that I need to stay away from. Love all nuts but they are just way to easy to overdo. I give you alot of credit for getting up that early to walk/run.

CattHill-good for you fro getting right back to being OP after your retreat. These kind of gatherings seem to always have difficult high-calorie food. And good for you for joining the gym.

silverbirch- credit for planning meals!

sparks17-yay for you with 2 pounds gone. Good for you for joining the Y. Hope you have many happy hours there. LOL re picking subway over BK. How many times have I forced myself to go to subway? Lots. But thankful they are there to offer a choice where there is some clue to how many calories we are eating.

LoseToAll-welcome! I think the pink book without the workbook is just fine. I never go grocery shopping with my husband- he has no weigh issues and no concept of buying lower calorie food.

anakin- I had a rotten week too. We just have to say oh well, that's over, and move ahead.

Today is a sad day for us-Remembrance Day- my husband's brother died almost 5 years ago in Afghanistan, so this is always a tough day. We will be heading out to a service in the small town up the highway this morning. A time to remember all who served and did not come home.

Hug your loved ones and enjoy your day.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A quiet Veterans Day. Thinking of you, Ceejay, in remembrance of your brother in law. When I went to DC to see the monuments with my son, I wondered if I could bear watching him go off to war. I was grateful for all the mothers and their courage.

Yesterday was super rough with food. Credit that my eating is so clean now that I can identify the anxiety that leads up to overeating. I can identify, but apparently I can't always stop it. I tried to ease my anxiety by starting in on the cookie dough for the cookies I was baking for the party. I was able to stop myself but then at the party I ate a full meal when I had already eaten my dinner before I left. Oh Well. No use beating up on myself. I am so thankful I can quickly hop back on the sane eating wagon. I am reminding myself my body will want the addictive foods I put in it last night and it will be a day or two before it will stop craving them. Super reminder that it will not last.

This morning weight is at ticker. I have been to step class and my food is planned

Last edited by maryann; 11-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 67"

I am unsatisfiable today. I had my normal breakfast and my normal lunch, including lots of good fiber and protein, and I'm sitting here right now rumbling. So, I came here to read some of what you all have written and have talked myself out of going down to the vending machine, even for a relatively healthy snack, because it's not in the plan.

Sometimes the rumbling goes away after a little bit. Also I have my normal afternoon fruit snack to look forward to, but that is not scheduled until 3 pm and I'm not going to indulge earlier.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey Beth - do you have Type 2 Diabetes or is it that you are at risk for it? My husband has diabetes and is on Metformin and does not eat as carefully as he ought to and it is hard to encourage him!

onebyone - I do love Bruce Campbell so...but I could not sit through those movies. Too much gore for me. I supposedly "watch" The Walking Dead with my husband and older girls but I keep my eyes covred and walk out of the room for like half of it! But Bruce Campbell is awesome - my favorite part of Xena! The art show sounds lovely. Enjoy!!

maryann - you are motivating me to look more closely at my emotional triggers. Hope you get back on the sane wagon with no trouble!

I am doing ok today. Dinner is out and usually fast food on Monday - maybe it will be pizza tonight. Whatever it is - moderation. Control.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #86  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Start of work week

Coaches

I got good news today. My studio landlord put the drywall up in my studio over the weekend so I am ready to start to really use it once more. I have ordered my radiant heater from Lee Valley Tools and I trust their products so I expect it to heat my "hard-to-heat workshop(s) and garage(s)". Free shipping made me order online and since they are nearby I should get it soon.

I continue to track my food and still on plan. *credit* I cooked from scratch today which is the best way for me to go. We also have at hand a raw veggie tray for snacking tonight.

sparks17
the lead actor in the Evil Dead musical is a dead ringer for Bruce Campbell, though he's thinner that Bruce was I think. Still, a *very pleasant* experience watching him perform. Have you read his autobiography? I recommend it.

anakin I know those days when the hunger just doesn't let up. Those are the days when the weight is really being metabolized is my take on it. Gardenerjoy has often observed that some days are hungrier than others. "Oh well" is the proper Beck response to this experience I think... if possible.

maryann I was remembering that addictive take out restaurant fast food WILL trigger a body craving for more of the same. It does take time to pass. Thanks for posting that today--it reinforced my own thoughts as I am trying to leave behind my high food weekend. I cannot expect to eat "like that" AND lose weight. No way.

CeeJay Condolences to you and your DH in regard to your BIL's passing. My uncle's brother died right next to him as they headed into Dieppe in WWII. He survived and never forgot. The only other war remembrance I do is for my grandfather who fought on horseback, with a sabre, for the Hungarians, against the White Russians in WWI. The Hungarian survivors were captured and taken to Russia (I think) and then he escaped with a friend, taking cover in a barn when the rest of his friends assembled in the town square where they were promised they would be given their freedom. The two of them watched as everyone was shot. He hid and was helped along the way outta there by farmers, working to stay alive. In the end he *walked* across Europe until he got back home to Hungary where he married my grandmother shortly thereafter. He picked up 7 languages along the way. He had a scar across the bridge of his nose from a sabre. Once I asked him to tell me about it but he said little girls shouldn't hear that kind of thing. What I wrote here is about all I know.

BillBlueEyes *credit* for ticker uptick. I am about to go out the door to the gym right now. I *will* have fun.

LoseToAll I have only truly used the workbook for the Beck program. I liked succumbing to the daily tasks and checking them off in the book. I felt like I was really working the Beck program and it kept me engaged and it helped drill the basics into me. I have picked up the other books but haven't found anything in them that the workbook didn't cover.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-11-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #87  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

BillBlueEyes. Saw the Captain Phillips movie, interesting but I would like to know if that is really how it happened??....

Onebyone that is very insightful to say that fat burns more when you have a hungry day. I love that.

I did good over the weekend. Stayed in calories and I halved my chocolate muffin.... that is something I have to take credit for.

Hope you have a good rest of the day.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #88  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I made several changes from my written plan, but kept totally within parameters. I forgot I'd made a lunch date so changed that (but ordered well). I had an emotionally rough day, which I did not eat over, but it sapped a lot of my energy and didn't feel like cooking. DH had leftovers and I had a within parameters substitute meal.

sparks17, I do have Type 2 diabetes--and mostly pretend I don't. I hardly ever cop to it--just refer to 'blood sugar issues'. I keep my head in the sand. I told my GYN once that I pretended it didn't exist and she told me it didn't pretend I didn't exist! I take 1000 mg/metformin every day. Before this weight loss and change in eating habits, I took 2000 mg/metformin every day, and a dose of glipizide. My blood sugar was actually getting too low, so the doctor cut my medications.

One of the hard things for me is simultaneously keeping in mind that hunger is not an emergency and hunger is an emergency, because sometimes, in terms of a sugar crash, it can be. So, I never did the "skip lunch and don't eat from breakfast to dinner" exercise in the book.

Encouraging someone is hard--we all know how hard it is to even encourage ourselves.

Take care, all!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #89  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

One day down ... I hate that I'm dreading five of seven days when they're work days. I need to regroup here mentally. Tonight my living room is my refuge with flickering candlelight from a beautiful array of candles on the mantel. Planned on a fire tonight when the snow started but it's holding off a bit, so I'll skip that tonight.

We found a buyer for the treadmill (aka the albatross in my front room that hurts my knee when I use it), and got it all cleaned up for the buyer coming this week. Of course, now I am aware that it has a squeal at 1-2 mph, but I never noticed since I'd start at 3.0 and go to 4 and put the tv on loudly.

How many Day Ones can we have? That's what I'm asking myself. Today is Day One, Take 101, it seems. But ... credit for realizing that at least returning to program is worth it. A day on plan, ending with stopping for a Papa Murphy's garden salad for dinner. I've never bought their pizza, but get 3-4 servings from that garden salad.

Went super light today and think it was a reality check for me to realize that I need much less than I've been eating.

So much inspiration here. Kudos Bill for another month guiding us and notching another month as a Beckster. And Maryann - you seem to "get it" much more than me - it's still a mystery why I sabotage myself.
I owe more personals - but am off to run a hot bubble bath and not plunder in the kitchen.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #90  
Ilene the Bean

nationalparker good for you for starting over again, the saying in my signature has been there for years and I truly believe it : "Falling down is not failure....Failure is staying down." Hang in there I sabotage myself all the time, hence why I've read this book and am trying this method... I need help too...

bethFromDayton I find it easier to encourage others than it is to encourage myself

onebyone Yay for heat in your renovated studio

Getting tired but waiting for DS and his wife to arrive from his home 6 hours away for a few days of pre-Christmas visit. They will be back on the 27th of Dec for a few days also... It'll be nice to see them as we haven't seen them since August...

Today I had many credits : ate what I planned... did 2 sessions of planned exercise, walk and the gym... I have planned for tomorrow... I did a lot of unplanned exercise too...

I've also discovered that I have to continually be hungry in order to lose weight, and that sucks! At least I am getting a better at being able to differentiate between hunger, craving and mindless eating, even on the weekends...

TTFN
Closed Thread