Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone:

Waving hello to my buddy onebyone. Glad to be back here with you.

For me, today was just fine. Off to the hotel tomorrow night- armed with a solid plan.

Credit today for:

-rode exercise bike
-did arm/shoulder exercises
-ate what I planned
-read advantage and response cards
-packed lunch and dinner for tomorrow
-logged everything at Sparks
-checked in with my coaches

Hope everyone rounds out the week in a healthy, happy way.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

It's been a while! I think I am doing OK with infrequent check ins. Had my first "weight is up" weigh in this morning so thought it might be good to touch base :-) I think I handled it ok - acknowledged my sadness about it, thought about what I have been doing not quite right, decided what to try to correct it and then just got on with it.

Another way of putting it I guess is that at the moment I am exploring how fluid I can be with this - how much can I "wing it" each day and how much planning and checking do I need. Apparently a bit more than I have done in the last week!

I think something I have been missing though is my credits. So I might start doing short evening posts with credits. So here's the first:

Credit for putting myself first this morning and doing my exercise / well being activities despite a busy work day that it would have been easy to decide was more important than my health. Credit for putting a limit on my perfectionism with work stuff so that I could get everything done today. Credit for sticking to my dinner plan despite the late afternoon getting off schedule.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Twice I took round trip walks over a mile, CREDIT moi. I really like walking with a destination; I spend not a single moment thinking of ways to take shortcuts or to quit early. I just enjoy noting that I'm thus far along the track.

At both destinations, I faced FREE left-over Halloween candies offered in bowls with high expectations that I'd help myself. CREDIT moi for stiffing both opportunities. I'd thought that I had mastered Halloween with not a single piece of candy and that it was over. There still may be opportunities lurking. During an evening with friends, I took some Brie and cracker rather than the M&M's or candy-corn. Brie is not a trigger food for me; I don't worry about eating a whole wheel of Brie; I've never bought leftover Brie at half-price the day after a holiday. Candy from an unlimited bowl is different. Rather than send my brain a signal of a happy event accomplished, it sends the signal that more would be better.

onebyone – .Yep, Super Kudos for follow through with your gym. The star for every workout was a key motivator during my early gym days. I coveted that count. They led to prizes. After a whole year, I got a cheap pair of weight lifting gloves (no fingers) that I cherish like a kid who collected attaboy gold stars.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love it, "I only eat baguettes in France." Perhaps I need, "I only eat chocolate at Charlie's Chocolate Factory."

CeeJay - Lovely sound to "armed with a solid plan."

maryann - This surprises me also, "It is crazy how little I need to eat."

nationalparker – LOL at tater tots "like a third-grader." Kudos for "staying mainly OP."

ForMyGirls - Ouch for "weight is up" - the challenge is note and carry on. Kudos for "putting a limit on my perfectionism" - that's a tough one.

anakin - Nice sound to, "I can start that tonight!"

Readers -
Quote:
Week 2 Get Set: Prepare to Diet

Before I tell you what you're going to learn this week, though, take a minute to think about how you've already changed as a result of the tasks of Week 1. What do you know now that you didn't know before? For example, did you know a week ago that it's crucially important for you to review at least a couple of times a day all of the reasons that you have for losing weight, to choose a healthy diet (and have a backup plan), to sit down and eat slowly, and mindfully every time, to give yourself credit continually for using helpful eating behaviors, and to catch and respond to sabotaging thoughts that interfere with doing these essential tasks? Do you now understand the importance of using Cognitive Therapy techniques to help you follow your diet and use good eating habits? It's the difference in your thinking that's going to allow you to make permanent changes in your eating habits.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 96.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #49  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Still battling a cold yet finding strength of mind to keep moving forward. Today we will paint at one of the rentals. Food has been pretty on track...still maintaining and the moments where I lack control are limited and of short duration. credit.

BBE, yesterday enroute to medical appts. I acknowledged that there will still be places where the candy is lurking. Sure enough, both bank and Dr. office had bowls, which I didn't touch. In retrospect, I do feel the "pre thought" helped me to be in control when the candy appeared. Great job, too, not dipping in.

Ok, homedepot awaits.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 67"

Holding steady at 179.4. I suspect based on history that I'm going to be here for a bit, but that is okay. Today's small goal: get to the Y for walking and lifting.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #51  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't manage 100% OP, but I wasn't sloppy either. My plan just didn't match up well with my day. Good enough.

Today, I have two meals out of the house. Most challenging, though, is a show opening at the Art Museum. I haven't been to one of these, but I'm guessing it will be walk-around appetizers that look better than they taste and have more calories than they ought. And mediocre wine. So, my plan is a calorie-free drink and to look at the art. We'll go out to supper after and I'll make reasonable choices for a nice dinner, following my rule of wine or dessert but not both.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +40 275/1400 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

I think I will follow ForMyGirls lead and emphasis credits. Today was another non-chocolate foraging day at work. It would be convenient to not remember how I was powerless over eating every desk's chocolate supply just six months ago. Today I limited myself to two small servings of JellyBelly's and tonight's dinner is a smoothie with the last watermelon found in the field, grapes, kale, pea protein, lemon and almond extract. Super credit for my boys never giving me any grief about not eat with them at night. I sit with them and drink hot tea or water. It is so much easier for me if I do not eat my big meal at night. I am often too tired to make good decisions.

Today's weight was a thrilling one pound below ticker. Three ore pounds to release into the universe and I will be shopping for my "reward" black boots while weighing a number I haven't seen since I was fourteen.

Glad Lexxiss checked in. Yeah for spontaneous painting exercise.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 11-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #53  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Hi coaches!
I think I need to come up with an eating plan for traveling because I've done a lot of that of late and I can't eat the same as I do at home. Me and my husband went to visit family and then I had to go to the hospital for tests. I put on a kilo but then I lost it again. Going well with my exercise and did 25 minutes of it today. Haven't missed a day of exercise so far but I have had some aches. I got a pedometer and found out my daily steps isn't nearly as bad as I thought, at the moment I'm aiming for 4000 steps per day but sometimes I accidentally do a 1000 more. I've been reading the book Thin for Life and it has really given me hope that maintaining weight loss is possible.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #54  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

HI everyone.

I don't even want to post tonight--all I did was eat--my stomach was full and I just wanted to eat and eat--and I did :-(. (think binge) (but I didn't open either of the boxes of assorted chocolates--so at least some credit?)

I'm kidding myself if I think that I can back off and it'll all be okay--I need to stay vigilant or I'll gain weight--that's the way it works. Even staying at a "maintain here" state will require effort and work and energy.

I don't like my stomach feeling the way it does right now. This stops here.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 180/164/140

Height: 5' 5"

Smile Newbie

Good Morning coaches,

So happy to have found this thread!

Started a diet a week ago, and have already lost 4 lbs.

Discovered B only a few days ago; having to make myself take one step at a time instead of trying to rush ahead and falling flat on my face.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #56  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

MikeB! Glad you found us! Your post reminded me that slow and steady wins the race. Best wishes as you start your Beck plan and continue your weight loss.

Me, did well yesterday, although food choices were spontaneous. I resisted all urges for comfort snacks which aren't in my plan as I drove around making contacts to try and offload this darned piano from my mom's rental. I'm remembering, too, that while I'd like to be done with it NOW it can certainly sit for awhile as we complete the renovation. Exercise, my usual now, was painting.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #57  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome MikeB

MikeB

And, upon your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And however did you find our Beck thread here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Not a single piece of Halloween candy appeared in front of me all day. I celebrate that, even though I can't take credit. There's something demonic in the notion that a bunch of candy executives order so much candy made and then the rest of us have to eat it till it's gone. Food was otherwise OK, CREDIT moi, with an afternoon snack larger than planned.

Exercise was crawling under a sink looking for the source of a small leak. It's easier to fix a gushing leak because the source is unambiguous - or calling a pricey plumber is better justified. More satisfying exercise was a walk, CREDIT moi, to the store in the rain in the dark for lettuce since we were out and DW was annoyed that she'd made such a nice dinner and didn't want it salad-less. The store had HUGE mounds of Christmas candy that annoyed me. That means that I face two months of chanting "not about me" when I walk past and remember which ones I ate as a kid.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for, "walk-around appetizers that look better than they taste" - those guys call me so loudly. Perhaps it's also because I'm drawn to grab one quickly before they walk away forever.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for the "pre thought" to avoid the candy. Methinks that's a key idea for survival with the store-displayed candy as well as the offered dishes. Doctors should know better - even though they have children and perhaps think they're doing their kids some good by giving away the candy at the office. Yay for painting exercise.

maryann - I love your use of 'foraging' in "another non-chocolate foraging day at work" - makes me laugh every time . . . and then cry.

VioletDolphin83 – Yay for more walking than you knew.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, credit where credit is due; Kudos for "didn't open either of the boxes of assorted chocolates." Alas, methinks you're right, "Even staying at a "maintain here" state will require effort and work and energy."

anakin - Acceptance per, "but that is okay" is a big part of a slow, steady loss - Kudos.

MikeB - Congrats for those four pounds gone forever - great start. Super Kudos for jumping right into Beck by finding a bunch of mutual Diet Coaches. Are you reading the 'Pink Book' (Beck Diet Solution)? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 2 Get Set: Prepare to Diet
. .It's crucially important for you to review at
least a couple of times a day all the reasons you
. . . . .have for wanting to lose weight.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 96.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #59  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! This week has been a doozy, work-wise. I'm thankful that it's Friday. No personal time this week, it's seemed - later work nights and no energy. Even making dinner seems like a major accomplishment. I planned meals that apparently even with planning I went over on calories - I need to measure portions because eye-balling them isn't working. Scale continues to rise and my mind is at the point of oh, whatever. Which I can't be at. I regroup when I have time to think, and will stave off the temptation of the box of donuts here for Donut Friday. Not in a good spot mentally from work and carryover to the home with the stress. It's not life or death, I'm not a surgeon leaving materials in a patient, I'm not working on nuclear stuff. I need to leave work at work. Easier said than done.

Will check in with personals tomorrow evening, hopefully. In the meantime, Welcome, MikeB! Glad to have you join us and you are SO RIGHT - don't jump into it... that's always my tendency.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

I was right about the appetizers at the Art Museum event, but wrong about the wine. Note to self: when a wine seller sponsors the event, the wine is likely to be good! But I stuck with my plan and just had a sip of DH's wine to confirm the observation. The best part of the evening was when we talked to our curator friend and he said we could go on into the gallery if we wanted. We were the first ones in and got to see over half of the exhibit before the gallery talk part of the evening started.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +40 315/1400 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

VioletDolphin83: Thin for Life is one of my favorite books!

Hugs for bethfromDayton! BTDT. This is what works: This stops here. As well as posting here and making a food plan for tomorrow.

Welcome, MikeB!
Closed Thread