Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #211  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day Nine and Ten: Select Exercise Plan/Realistic Goal

Day Nine: Select an Exercise Plan Again, this was something that was already in place before I returned to using the BDS to support my weight loss efforts. As my RA has advanced I have had to switch out the kind of cardio I do now but I found a great selection to choose from. My free weight workouts now means using lighter weights since the arthritis in both shoulders and elbows make it more painful afterwards when I lift too heavy of weights for me.

All of the bullets that Dr. Beck mentions I agree with: working out destresses me, it is a great appetite suppressant (at least for 2-3 hours afterwards) and it increases my metabolism. I would also add that it strengthens and "lubricates" my muscles so I can move easier with less pain and stiffness.

I am going to include Day Ten (which is tomorrow): Set a Realistic (Weight Lose) Goal since I will not be posting on Thanksgiving. Well, I have gone the gamut on setting weight loss goals. I am learning that what works best for me is to simply follow my food plan and work out each day as planned and let my body respond as it "sees fit". I have found that if I put too much pressure on myself to lose a specific amount of weight in a specific amount of time, I either get too discouraged when I don't (even if it is within a half pound) or I start " playing games" with either undereating or overexercising. I have an 18 year history with OA and that is a "no-no". "Slow and steady wins the race."

MikeB I won't add much else about Thanksgiving since it seems everyone else did a good job in explaining it. Canada also celebrates this earlier in November. Basically, the original Colonists who emigrated from England et al were so grateful that they survived the brutal NorthEast winters (since half of them starved that first year until the Native Americans taught them to grow maize) that they set aside this day. It has morphed into a debauchery, IMHO, and I for one am going to stop using the span between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day to overeat, etc. It is more about "I won't" then "I just can't." I have a plan from now until New Year's Day and it does NOT include overeating.

Great job on losing the stone. I love the idea of a Disadvantage Card. This time around for me instead of the cards which I had memorized within a week of reading them (seriously) I decided that all the incentive that I need is to take my FBG each morning. That droplet of blood represents to me why I am doing all of this.

ForMyGirls You can add 2 more points for my Tuesday efforts. So, for me so far this week, I have 4 points to share with the "streak challenge". 1 point each for both staying OP with my meal plan as well as working out (which was cardio on Tuesdays).

From my end and reading all of your posts, it sounds like everyone here is currently OP. I give an extra Kudos for those of you who are dealing with work-related food stresses. I used to overeat at work all due to the fact that I couldn't articulate my feelings to my supervisor in a way that would have kept my job and my peace of mind. I have since "let that go" but it still seemed like such a sad time for me. I was a bundle of nerves.

Here is something that I recite every night that I would like to share:

A THANKSGIVING PRAYER (POEM IF YOU WISH)

God (Higher Power, Universe et al) when I have food, help me to remember the hungry; When I have work, help me to remember the jobless; When I have a warm home, help me to remember the homeless; When I am without pain, help me to remember those who suffer;

And, in remembering, help me to destroy my complacency and bestir my compassion. Make me concerned enough to help, by word and deed, those who cry out for what I take for granted.

-Samuel F. Pugh-

Take care all, Pam
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #212  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

So far, so good today ... Realized that nearly all our food is centered for Thanksgiving tomorrow - what to eat for dinner tonight? DH suggested our local Mexican spot or Cracker Barrel ... both sounded ideal on a cold flurry-filled night. Then I thought, wait - save the calories (not to mention the cash) and make soup and sandwiches here. So that's my plan. I ate one snack that I didn't need to, but so far that's all that's been off plan. Add a point for me!

Scale was down one pound today. I REALLY want to update my ticker as it's been ages that it's gone in that direction, but I'll wait to see the same number tomorrow. (Thereby getting my hopes up.)

Better get crackin' around here with T-Day prep. Goal is to check in even with a few lines early tomorrow stating that I staying OP tonight. I feel like I am having trouble sticking with it today. I want to start the holiday early. And typically Thanksgiving was never a major food holiday for me, because I only ate turkey, mashed potatoes and green beans. Now that I'M the cook, I make stuffing I like, sweet potato casserole, etc. - things that pack on the calories. I will prepare my plan tonight.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #213  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!
My weightloss is going well. Haven't had anything interesting to say lately. I've lost 13kgs so far, which means 28.6lbs. That means I have 58kgs or 127.6lbs to go. Weightloss seems to take so long! A couple of days ago I bruised my foot while tripping over and it hurts to walk, so I've been using the rowing machine for exercise instead of the treadmill.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Well my streak count for Food On plan = 2; but I didn't check in yesterday. If you didn't check in (when it is part of a streak count) did being on plan really happen?

I have stuck with a simple plan of protein shake for breakfast, salad (large) with left over meat or tuna for lunch, a snack of fruit or nuts, and meat plus (lots) low carb veggies or salad for dinner. And it isn't bad.

I have maintained at least 5000 steps per day, and if there are stairs nearby I take them. I have to say my mobility is improving suddenly in the last 2 weeks so the back is healing really well

I am so glad I don't have the Thanksgiving food challenge that you from the US have. I would be having a struggle without the routine and structure of everyday to deal with where I am. I avoided a work function this afternoon because I really am bad with dealing with finger foods - my weakness. But avoiding the event can only get me so far. I need to develop a plan before it and stick to it - no choice. Later

Thanks for listening coaches and sharing all that wisdom

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 11-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #215  
Enjoying la bella vita

Well, decided to check in before bed instead of waiting I stayed completely OP tonight, choosing just tomato soup for dinner, and decided to wait to see if I wanted all or part of a sandwich but was satisfied with the soup alone.

Down point last night when getting dressed for the performance. I didn't fit into any of my dressier outfits. Nothing was flattering. I don't have expensive clothes, nothing that's major brand name or cutting edge style ... but I LIKE what I have - it's more classic - and and really want to fit back into things. It was such a disappointment. Lately I'm not dressing flatteringly; not putting forth a strong effort to look stylish at all. I keep thinking, oh, when I lose the weight, it'll be easier to wear my heels again... when I lose the weight, I'll X, Y and Z. But now I'm living in limbo here, doing the bare minimum of clothes that coordinate, but not that flattering.

LOVE the idea of the disadvantage card. I think I'll add that in here before long. Right now i need to work on my advantage cards, but I certainly like your idea, Mike.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #216  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all. Quick post from my phone--we just got to our hotel and are beat!

Breakfast lunch and snack were OP. drank lots of water today. We went somewhere random for dinner while en route and I ate too much--not as much as I could have but more than I needed to.

My father in law will make breakfast tomorrow morning when we head over there so I have that planned and I'm picturing what my thanksgiving dinner plate (no seconds) will look like.

I will report success tomorrow--I will enjoy a reasonable amount of food and feel good about my choices.

Happy thanksgiving to all who celebrate it!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #217  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hello coaches!
I have been OP mostly. I am solid right now but did go through a few weeks of maintaining... I almost feel like I am testing myself to see if I will be able to maintain after I lose it all. It is more challenging now since I weigh less so get to eat less. Portion control is more important than ever! Zumba is my exercise of choice and counting calories/ nutrients is my diet of choice. I really want this to be forever. Beck's strategies are really ingrained in me now. I do need to make sure that I credit moi more often for those thoughts that help me stay on track.

This year, dd and I will stay home and have a mini feast.. My fam is all over the country and I will see them all in Jan for my granddads burial in Arlington...so alone w dd for thanksgiving and Xmas. This would have been tragic for me in my 20 s but now is desire able.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #218  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

20 points for us all tonight. Yay us! Thanks for all your participation - it is helping enormously in keeping me on track.

I got a beautiful Le Creuset "French oven" casserole dish for my birthday last week and cooked in it for the first time today. Yummy slowcooked beef casserole. Was very very tempted to have a wine with it but I have already had my indulgences for the week so it would have meant taking the streak back to zero and I so wasn't up for that! Credit moi.

I cleaned the house today - I am lucky to have a partner who more than pulls his weight in housework, and particularly in cleaning, which I loathe - so it is actually the first time in about 2 months that I have done the cleaning. And I discovered it wasn't nearly as exhausting as the last time I did it. Being able to clean without being exhausted is one of the things on my advantages card so it was nice to see it coming true.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #219  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Thanksgiving (US) and Chanukkah

Diet Coaches/Buddies – May those facing eating extravaganzas remember that there will be food another day.

I completed an eighth day of eating on plan, CREDIT moi, despite snacks calling because I was working in the kitchen with DW preparing for today's guests. She asked me to taste three different items; I pondered - I've always been the taster; I took the small tastes to sit at the kitchen table. That's an improvement since in some years past I've taken a serious sample of the cornbreads baked for stuffing. She also asked me to test if either of the opened boxes of crackers were fresh. I took a corner of the top cracker of each. "Not good enough for guests, but I could still eat them," I said trying to save their lives since I could guess what was coming. "But you won't," she reminded me giving me an unexpected NSV as I remembered that they never would have gone stale in the past because I'd have eaten them. She has no emotional issue with the crackers; she just wanted to give them to our recycling worms so there would be room in the pantry for some fresh ones for the guests. Hard to imagine someone with so little emotional stuff about food as she walked them out to the compost bin.

Walked everywhere, CREDIT moi, including to the dentist in the rain, a dash to the library, and two emergency trips to the supermarket (bought organic lemons since the whole beastie is going into stuff).

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that lowest weight since May.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Yep, finger foods are a challenge. Yay for a back that's healing.

Pam (pamaga) – Kudos for "realistic" in your goals - that's easy to overlook. I am moved by phrases like, "bestir my compassion."

nationalparker – Yay for skipping the restaurant when homemade soup would do. Ouch for the pain of clothes that don't fit - a classic ARC for most of us.

VioletDolphin83 – Congrats on those 13kg gone forever. Kudos for switching your cardio machine in response to that bruised foot.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Love the thought of eating "somewhere random" - it amuses the geek in me. Good luck eating with your in-laws today.

Rosebud170 – This so blew my mind when I first learned it, "since I weigh less so get to eat less." Despite it being obvious, I'd just never thought about it. Have a fun mini feast day.

ForMyGirls - DW absolutely loves the two Le Creuset "French oven" dishes I've given her. She frequently cooks with both at the same time. I join you as one who loathes cleaning.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

Reducing Your Activities
Once Lisa divided her activities into these broad categories, she could more easily see the advantage of temporarily cutting back on her volunteer work and TV viewing to make time for weight loss. When she explained to her husband why she needed to make extra time in her schedule, he was more willing (with some initial grumbling that she had to ignore) to take over some specific household chores. Lisa also decided to forgo a weekly manicure to free up some time and money to pay a cleaning service to tend to the house every other week.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 103.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning,

Really struggling this week. Angry and sad about this. Yesterday I threw myself a pretty big pity party and it was not a good time.

That kind of negative thinking gets me to 300 pounds. So credit this morning for regrouping (sigh-again) and:

Checking in with my coaches
Weighing myself
Making a healthy lunch, snacks, and dinner (hotel tonight)
Eating a healthy breakfast
Reading advantage and response cards
Planned what I am eating tomorrow

I am determined to make it through today with no sugar and eating only what is planned. Tomorrow I will worry about tomorrow.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #221  
Green Tomatoes

Another 100%OP Day which makes my streak count = 3. This is fun! Thanks, ForMyGirls, for inventing such a great game for us!

My normal plan for dinner at the in-laws is "Focus on the veggies, tiny portions of everything else, no snacks or alcohol." I'm going to modify and complicate that because my nephew who is in wine sales will be there. He also brings other lovely treats like fancy cheeses. So, I'm going to take a taste of whatever he offers in snacks or alcohol. My "No" list today is: stuffing, rolls, and crackers (unless I need one to taste a soft cheese).

I made my own stuffing yesterday which is healthier and tastier, in my opinion, than what I will be offered today. So I have stuffing on my plan for a light early lunch and as a late snack because supper will be earlier than we're used to.

WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +55 1235/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Happy Thanksgiving to the USians among us!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #222  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

CeeJay, I'm sorry you are struggling yet happy that you have a plan for just one day! Question: Do you read posts here on a daily basis? (Even when you are not posting?) I have really found that the daily connection I make here at 3FC has really made a difference, even as I struggle. Reading and connecting with others really does seem to help.

BBE, you wrote, " May those facing eating extravaganzas remember that there will be food another day.". Thanks....it's so true!

I have had a leisurely morning. We are headed to moms....she wants to make us a simple and healthy breakfast. That is so nice...she knows how hard we have been working on her projects. Later we head to Nephews where for the 4th year in a row I will aim (and I know accomplish) my streak of eating less than anyone else at the gathering. I weighed this morning, and I'm still maintaining a low # after 48 days fully engaged with the craziest (and most stressful) project of my life. Funny, it seems that I am having to use every bit of brain power I can find....wondering if my food addict part has had to give it's energy to the project, too. lol.

Well Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate....reminded I can take my Beck skills with me anywhere and anytime I choose.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #223  

S/C/G: 180/164/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Clown Trousers

Good Evening, Coaches,

And to all you Thanksgivers, however you fared, tomorrow’s a new day! Thanks to all who’ve enlightened me about your celebrations.

Whilst I was de-cluttering (another story for another thread) I came across two pairs of trousers. Since last wearing them several years ago, I’d dieted off and on. So I wondered whether they’d still fit me. And they did – with room to spare. So much room that I decided to capture the moment.

The photo shows me in profile, with thumbs tucked into the waistband, pulling it forward to where my belly used to push it. Although I don’t find it remotely amusing, the name that came straight to mind was “Clown Trousers”. And now it adorns my computer’s desktop – a mid-journey reminder, for times when my hopeful start seems far behind and the hoped-for finish just as far ahead.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #224  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I hope everyone understands if I check in more than once today.

We slept late today. My father in law made us breakfast and made me two eggs instead of one. I didn't eat the 2nd egg--and was prepared to throw it out rather than let DH eat it. My mother in law wanted to save it and father in law ended up eating it--but I didn't!!!

We're heading to another relatives for dinner. I'm going to read cards on the way over there. I have several stacks of cards now--having different cards keeps me more invested when I read a set that's not as familiar and memorized. I also have a couple blanks in my purse to make new ones to be fresh in my mind.

The relatives who are hosting haven't seen me in a year--so that means close to 50 lbs ago!! I'm looking forward to their reaction and compliments!

I'll probably post again tonight to report success!! I have a plan for dinner and even for a reasonable amount of dessert!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #225  
Enjoying la bella vita

I did well today - considering the combo of cooking for guests, my mom was taken to the ER and then was to be admitted to the hospital in Florida, and finding out one more guest was coming (DH received the call/request two days ago and forgot to mention anything until right before they showed up). We had plenty and enjoyed a long day with his family. I could have eaten less, but only one small serving of the items I wanted, and had planned on one slice of apple pie, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Only another hour of work to do (job work) and then I think I'll put this day to rest and hope tomorrow holds better news on my mom.

I'm counting today as a day on Thanksgiving plan Weight was 171.8 again, so I'm moving my ticker soon. Any pound counts!
Closed Thread