Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #181  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We had a good meal out last night. I did better than the last dinner at that restaurant with the same people (DH's nephew and his fiance, skinny 20-somethings who can eat and drink more than I should, no matter how unfair that seems). And I'm here this morning (it's morning for 6 more minutes). So, I think this will not start a week-long slide like it did last time.

BillBlueEyes: cool that NaNoWriMo is front page news! I'm not doing it this year. My current writing project didn't fit well in that format because I needed fewer words and better writing.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Back home after such a lovely holiday. About 70%OP on food yesterday. Credit for saying "not thanks" to frozen yoghurt after dinner - i almost said yes because it is a healthy treat option but then remembered a) there had been a treat already in the day and b) I wasn't hungry!

Picked up some beautiful peaches in a fruit growing area we passed through on the way home. Freshly picked, never in cold storage. House smells beautiful. Hanging out for them to be ripe :-)

Feeling the need to commit today as I return to normal life. So - I WILL do all my healthy eating activities and I WILL eat 100%OP. So now I am off to do those things.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #183  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

This has not been a good 10 days, food wise. According to this morning's scale, I've gained 10 lbs in about as many days. I didn't even think that was possible.
And it wasn't enough to keep me on track today. It seems that all I want to do is eat.

I give myself credit for weighing this morning--I really didn't want to. I give myself credit for posting tonight--I had to force myself to do it. I had my cards this morning, which I hadn't in about a week. (Correlation? Yeah, I think so.)

It seems like needing to recommit is getting to be a habit with me. I can do it--I am doing it. I just wish it wasn't sometimes so hard.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #184  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

End of the weekend is always hard for me to face heading back to work ... hopefully this shorter week in the office will be a good one. I have to work all weekend but only a few hours on Thanksgiving. But can do it all from home, so that's good. DH still is fighting this terrible cold - sounds like he's sliding back into its grip. In between feeling lousy, he's been putting in new vanities in the bathrooms and I'll repaint small areas tomorow evening. He's done a great job with them.

Food was okay today - but too much snacking. I will hop on the scale tomorrow and see where the week took me. My sister just started ww three weeks ago and has lost 5 pounds so far. She's been miserable for a few years, so I hope she does well. She tends to get compulsive and starts cutting healthy foods that might have more points to go lighter with less nutritional food, but hopefully she skips that this time.

Beth - Good to see you back here. I'm not making forward progress and get frustrated at myself, but I think if i didn't check in here, I'd be even more so.

Bill - Have you ever seen "Keeping Mum" with Maggie Smith? I just checked it out from the library after putting it on hold last week. Looking forward to enjoying it soon. ... Okay, four days on track 100% is admirable. I started Martha Beck's Four Day Win quite a while ago and you're a walking example of what she says is key. I have to pick that book back up again, though..

ForMyGirls - Glad to hear that your vacation was wonderful! I'm envious! Looking forward to hearing more about it!

GardenerJoy - Good to see you taking the steps you see that will keep you on track! I don't do a good job with that - I can foresee a slide, and then just apparently slide along...

Maryann - I LOVE hosting brunches and keep finding recipes for brunch, but now we never have anyone over for it. Hm. I need to revamp this - or else treat us more to brunches/make it special for ourselves!

Pamatga - I need to work on eating slower. I always used to but since married I have sped it up ... and that's not good... I like how you've got that nailed. Also major credits your way for the plans for Thanksgiving week and beyond. I need to focus on what Ill do to be successful...this week and for the next six weeks - I like your ideas. What sides are you planning?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

I was very very determined to have a 100% OP day today and I did it. Big credit. Especially for saying no to evening hot chocolate which is a bit of a habit - most times it is on plan but it wouldn't have been tonight. Was hard not to have it but my resistance muscle is stronger for it.

Beth - credit to you for doing two important things you were fighting against today. Doing it when it is tough is when it is really impressive!

I have had a bit churning in my brain the last few days about having slipped into a space where I am "on track" for a day or two and then off track for a whole bunch of days. So then today I had an idea of using the "streak" thing. So I decided to make part of my posting to you guys to be reporting in on how big my streak is - two things I am measuring 100% OP on food and 100%OP on exercise and Wellbeing (ie I did all the things like stretching, exercise, meditating, reading cards, posting etc, that I was scheduled to do). So today I can report that it is a streak of 1 on both.

And then tonight when I was reading your posts it occurred to me that I think lots of us are in the same space right now (the "here I am recommitting again" space). So my new idea is doing a collaborative streak challenge. Here's how I'm thinking it could work:
- each person choose a habit they want to cement (for me it will be being 100% OP on track for food and exercise/Wellbeing)
- you get a point for each day in a row that you have kept your habit (so right now I would have 1 point - if I I am 100% OP tomorrow I will have 2 points but if I am not I will go back to zero)
- we add up all the points we have together (so for example if there was one other person doing it and they had a streak of 3 days in a row it would get added to my 1 and be a collaborative streak of 4!)

Anyone interested in joining me? (Or does it sound too confusing?) I'm happy to be in charge of adding up the points:-) wonder how high we could get????
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #186  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Fifth day of 100% on food plan without snacks, CREDIT moi. My thanks to all my Coaches/Buddies because I fought off the snackies in the afternoon thinking about having to report here. It's easy to justify having a snack, my plan includes three each day, but I'm on a jag to try NO snacks for a spell to get my mojo back. The good news: the teenagers were selling Apple Pies they'd baked to make money for a worthy cause and, after much debate with DW about whether an Apple Pie is even remotely healthy, found myself at the table where I discovered . . . all sold out. Thank you universe for making my life easier. I'm firmly in denial that lard is the prime ingredient of a good pie.

Walked my usual Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, and did some leaf raking for exercise. A group of us volunteers were raking a large lawn and I had to watch a pile that I had created get wasted in the bungling of the enthusiastic, but not very nimble, baggers. Oh Well.

maryblu – Seeing your name reminds me how much I miss the tensions of predicting ice-out and that raspberry eating 'dawg' of yours. Kudos for maintaining your weight for so long. That "*bigger gal, but ..." story wrinkles my brain - just so telling. Perhaps it's useful to be reminded how deeply the prejudice runs so that we're less likely to take it personally. (For the new folks, maryblu was one of the first five Beck posters who started this forum - months before I found it.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's so tough sharing a table with"skinny 20-somethings who can eat and drink more than I should." Kudos for "did better."

maryann - A friend just returned from Louisiana where he picked up pecans from his parents tree. He reminded me that cracked while standing there is a taste like no other. Kudos for a "Win."

nationalparker – Ouch for working on Thanksgiving, with the (slight) silver lining that it might help stay away from leftovers. [OK, now I've got to go see Keeping Mum - I'd go watch Maggie Smith read a phone book.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yes indeed, Kudos for weighing, Kudos for posting, Kudos for reading your ARC, and Kudos for giving yourself credit instead of wasting energy beating up on yourself. No, the body didn't gain 10 pounds in ten days; some water will come off. Encouraging to read, "I can do it--I am doing it."

ForMyGirls - Yep, the old 'healthy' vibe can suck us into more food than we've planned. It sticks knowing that Giant Food knows this and works it deliberately. Kudos for recognizing, "I wasn't hungry!"

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

Reducing Your Activities
If you have trouble figuring out how to reduce your activities, making a priority chart can help. First, fill in your calendar or schedule chart with all your commitments for the coming week. Then divide these activities and tasks into three categories: essential, highly desirable, and desirable. Discuss with your diet coach just how important each task or activity really is. You'll probably find that many tasks you had previously thought of as essential are, in fact, just desirable and that you can put them on the back burner for a few weeks until dieting gets easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 100.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #187  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryblu View Post
Hello, Beckmates. Just checked in to get something off my mind. It was bugging me as I was vacuuming.
Maryblu! I just thought of you yesterday and wondered how you were doing!

I miss the ice, the raspberries and the loons.

Really great work on the weight! Your bigger gal story shows how we just don't know people even when we think we do ... But I don't know where that takes us.

I'm sitting down to eat a banana and two almonds now. Plus a cashew nut. (That counting is for you, Bill!)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #188  
Ilene the Bean

ForMyGirls -- I'd like to join you!! I keep committing and re-committing, weekly! I really want to get at least 10 days in a row or two weeks... OK... here goes REcommitting again to clean foods... more cardio, us gals are having a difficult time getting our walks in with -13c/8f weather in the early AM, with a windchill... we could go to a large complex that is closed in but we don't, out of boredom but I still need to do it!! I digress, back to the subject at hand... 1. clean eating for 10 days, 2. cardio daily no matter what, 30 mins at least, 3. the gym, this is an easy one for me because going to the gym and doing a class is my favourite thing to do... Ok, let's do it!!

Must get going, taking my Mom for an ultra-sound this early morning...TTFN
Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #189  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

The weekend was tough but stayed away from dessert credit. Did not eat Sunday Danish credit. Sunday dinner OP credit. So it was okay.

Up 2.5 lbs for my TOM. So hopefully it will drop fast. So nervous about Thanksgiving. I have a game plan. No bread, no dessert, no seconds. We will see how it goes.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today I stepped on the scale feeling that I "deserved" to have a weightloss and of course the number remained frozen on the scale. I remembered that Beck says on any given day, the number is exactly what is should be. Oh Well. Credit for not eating my frustration out. Weight under ticker. Five more days and I need to be .5 down to keep on track to my big 50/under 150 goal. But those five days include a Thanksgiving dinner and TWO companion family dinners (days on either side of Thursday.) Small choices, I must remember.

And I can tell myself If I resist today, I can always eat tomorrow. I can't remember a time when I looked back the next morning and said, "Oh, I regret not eating that!"

ForMyGirls: Your "streak" idea sound motivating and I will love witnessing your successes. Life is too crazy for me right now to count anything. But I hold on to everybody's posting like a lifeline.
BBE: There is no equal to fresh nuts.
BethFromDayton: Thank you so much for posting. You really help me every time you do.
nationalparker: I have two days of extra work days today and tomorrow. I am trying not to resent it.

Last edited by maryann; 11-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #191  
Green Tomatoes

I was close to 100% OP yesterday except for an extra slice of homemade bread. Rats! That's more annoying than my recent 90% days because I was in full control and didn't need my crystal ball gazing skills to make it work. I just didn't. Moving on.

I spent much of yesterday organizing and planning in ways that I think will improve my ability to forecast the next 24 hours so that I can make a plan that actually fits the day.

maryblu: great to see you!

ForMyGirls: I've been making streaks work for me recently. I have them up on a white board by my desk so I can report that I'm at 128 days of daily exercise, 41 days of doing some organization or house task (often 10 minutes of a filing project), 8 days of completing a Morning Routine, and 7 days each of completing Tea Time and Evening Routines.
For the purpose of your game, though, I'd like to join in and see if I can get a streak going of 100%OP days. So far, I have 0 and I've been trying for a good week to make that happen. This will help.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #192  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day Six & Day Seven of BDS-pink book

Yesterday was Day Six: choosing a Diet Coach and since I have already been posting here as well as rejoining this great group, I feel I can check that off as "done". Today is Day Seven: Arrange Your Environment. I feel that this is one of the most important "changes" I have and can continue to make. In fact, as I reading this Day I realized that one of the suggestions that Dr. Beck said "to rearrange your cupboards" so the smaller dishes and glasses on the lower shelves still remains (even though I probably did that 2 years ago!).

Since there is wintery weather predicted to pass through here within the next 48 hours, I decided that yesterday I would go grocery shopping in case we get icy roads and would not want to venture out. I think someone asked what I was planning: roasted turkey, rice for me (which I prefer) and an assortment of steamed vegetables. That's it. With the money that I saved from not buying the ingredients for all of the traditional sides as well as the pie, I bought myself a big jug of vanilla creme whey protein powder. My former food sponsor "got me" started on that and I have just loved making protein smoothies ever since. I have one in place of one meal. I can either go from a very basic vanilla one or really load it with lots of fruits.

To sum it up, it does sound like almost everyone across the board here is struggling to find themselves either back on track or remain there. There is one day in the BDS book that devotes itself just to making time and space for weight loss. Well, if there is any single truth that I have learned in this past year is that: if I am going to do this then I need to pare down my outside activities and just focus on this. At times, I have honestly had to wrestle life just to make this a #1 priority.

So, for me right now, it has been about setting the stage again to make this happen and continue to make it happen for the next year. My desire is to be in maintenance by Thanksgiving 2014. ForMyGirls I will join you on your "streak" challenge and I will also take you up on you keeping track of the points. Will this be ongoing or for a specific time period? Also, do I understand you to say that if we miss one day (even if we had 7 days in a row) we would go back to zero. Ouch! However, I guess that could be an incentive to stay OP. I will start tomorrow reporting how today went since I have decided that I have done seven days of the book and I feel that I can actually start again while I read through the rest of the book. I know that Dr. Beck suggests that we start on Week 3 but I have already been practicing the skills that I have read already and I have my food plan, so why not?

As for me, I will report on both my food plan as well as my workout program since those are most important to my weight loss: 2 points then per day if I get them "down".

I have read everyone else's posts. Nice to see both familiar as well as new faces.

Take care, Pam
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone,

seadwaters-so very sorry about your father. I am sure you honoured him very well. Hope your return to work is going OK.

nationalparker-sounds like life is very busy for you.

BillBlueEyes-wow 5 days of 100% on plan. Fantastic.

maryann- credit for weight under ticker. Your Pecan Picking party sounds great.

gardenerjoy- yay for knowing that every extra piece of bread counts.

Lexxiss-LOL re the goat on the couch. Good for you for choosing the free range turkey.

bethFromDayton- sorry to hear about your struggle. Am there also. You can do it and so can I. We need to find our way through this.

onebyone-huge credit for going to the gym faithfully. And wow 8 pounds!!!!

LoseToAll- yay for being down 2 pounds! And credit for skipping dessert.

pamatga- I am rereading the pink book also. Many things I have maintained doing throughout the past years but the ones I struggle the most with are the ones I need to start to work on in a much more planned way. Totally agree with your comments about making time and space for weight loss. I am determined to join you in making 2014 the year it all happens.

MikeB- good for you for thinking ahead to plan your next meal with the family. And 12 pounds gone is sensational progress.

ForMyGirls- credit for 100% on plan day and resisting hot chocolate. I also am in a few days OK and many days not OK pattern. Like your idea of a streak.

Ilene-best of luck with your commitments and good for you for posting them.

silverbirch-good job sitting down to eat your snack.

maryblu-waving hello to you. Happy to hear you are maintaining.

sparks17-hope posting sent the munchies away!

FutureFitChick- great to see you here.

For me- I wish I could say full steam ahead, but more like one step forward, two steps back. Oh well, can't change anything that happened before this moment eh?

Plan for tomorrow:

-breakfast- egg whites and oat bran
-lunch- big salad, tuna, and chick peas
-snack- yogourt and berries
-dinner- harder as am going to a work function at a restaurant- plan on eating no sugar and only a bit of carbs
-read advantage and response cards
-check in with my coaches
-go buy a small kettle for my office and stop going into coffee room at all because I know it will be loaded with sugar from now to January. That room needs to be a major no-go zone.

Take care everyone!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #194  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I haven't gotten back to planning my day out in advance, but I made all good choices--breakfast/lunch/snack planned in advance, and dinner on the fly with DD, who I picked up from college tonight. I love having her home.

Even with the off plan time, I did NOT break my streak of "no sweets at work" or even "no unplanned snacking at work"--I didn't even have dessert from our Thanksgiving carry-in, although I did go back for more bread. So, credit for no sweets at work for 10.5+ months.

My initial re dedication is to logging everything--I haven't been doing that and I really do believe that holding myself accountable is key. So, I logged everything today. Credit for that.

My second part of getting back on track is going to be to plan everything the night before again. Deep sigh. Pause. I can do that right now. Pause. <went to MFP, entered in tomorrow's food--all 3 meals and my afternoon snack> That didn't take long. It isn't hard. It's easier to stay OP when it's actually planned in advance. And there's even room for a small brownie (which I have to bake tomorrow).

My third "do now" piece is going to be water--fill my water bottle twice (and empty it twice) during each work day.

So, three pieces that I'm aiming for--and I did two of them today. (and did 75% of the other since I did plan breakfast, lunch, and snack in advance)

I really appreciate the encouragement. It was really frustrating to see the scale and know that it is merely reflecting behavior--and giving me the information that I need to change behavior if I want different results.

Take care, all.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #195  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Long, busy day at work ... the story of the last four or more months. Got home later than planned but put together a decent dinner, starting with some wonderfully flavorful campari tomatoes. Credits today include planning for one treat from our food day at work, and thoroughly enjoying every bite of it and stopping there. At dinner, I wanted more but was satisfied with no longer being hungry.

Only time for a few personals:
Bill - Sad to say, my dvd of Keeping Mum is due back today, and it's not being returned on time. I will have to drop it off unwatched tomorrow ... we'e going to Chris Botti tomorrow evening, so won't have time to watch it. I wish I'd taken the time on the weekend. ... But I'll put it back on hold and wait my turn again.

ForMyGirls - I'd like to join your group of streakers. I don't want to be viewed as a loser but I KNOW I'll set myself up for failure if I only count 100% on plan, so I'm going with 90% on plan days... counting as days when I'm completely on it, or days when I'm just off by a bit. Will add another component next week.

I feel as if my time chart is nearly all work - in the office, then doing more of my job while at home some nights. Other time is spent preparing our meals from scratch. Marketing, meal prep and cleanup seem to take up a lot of time, but I think it's important for our health to eat with as few preservatives and artificial ingredients as possible so I count that time as well-spent... Who knows - it may all be hooey and it's the preservatives that are keeping some folks healthy to ripe old ages I need to look closely at the remaining time and see what I can crop out for a while to add in extra activity other than cleaning/home improvement projects.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-25-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Closed Thread