Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #91  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday's unplanned day went as I expected. Lots of exercise to get me to the mid-point of my goal at mid-month helped.

Today's challenge is that I don't know what we're doing and that's hard to plan around! MiL went home from rehab yesterday and we're going to visit (about an hour's drive each way) today. No word, yet, on whether we're going to slip out between meals, or pack lunch for three so she can eat with us, or what. We're also holding open the idea of some sort of carry-out tonight if the day proves too taxing. Although, I may argue against that -- it may be taxing, but it will also produce nervous energy. We might as well use the energy to fix supper.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +105 705/1400 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: great to see you here and in a better place

BillBlueEyes: Sorry that you caught the back pain from ForMyGirls. Hope you heal quickly!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #92  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Had a very productive day yesterday - and would love to see the outdoor project take more shape today. After discussing it with a coworker who I consider a master gardener/landscaper (but isn't), I now can see how i have to connect the different levels. Nearly have the lower one done, and now will go get soil and work on the second of four. Goal is to complete it by the end of September. So much for the 4th of July date I wanted it done ... but ... it'll be done soon. With these cooler temps, it sure makes it easier to want to get out there.

No luck at two garden spots with pansies, so I was shocked. I'll start at Home Depot today. Dinner was enjoyed late on the patio last night as the sun set at 8:30. Up too late last night, trying to find time to just relax and "be" ...

Bill - Sorry to hear about your back pain! Hopefully it'll feel better very soon. Good that it didn't hit you on your trip.

ForMyGirls - Many good credits for small indulgences this past week in your "fog" ... I've had days of all those extras in one day. Thanks for listing your credits - they're often far from my mind on days when I'm overeating. Yesterday my credits included working in the yard for a few hours, eating green beans before DH came home to take the edge off dinner. Ashamed to say that I still ate the rest of the planned dinner, just not my green beams. Ideal would have been to skip the bread. GRR.

GardenerJoy - Hope today goes well for you and it sounds like you are ready for whatever comes your way with the schedule. Good luck! Mondays are my he** days at work and they continue to get worse as the year goes on ... and so we decided for tomorrow that since DH is working as well, one of us will order chinese and we'll do that for dinner. No dishes, plenty of veggies, nothing fried, and we eat 1/3 to 1/2 of the serving, so it does fit in well (not counting the sodium). Having that already set in mind is a relief. He loves it a great deal, it's something new to me.

Hope to post good credits either tonight or tomorrow from today.

Lexxiss - Hope you and your family are doing okay and clear from the flooding ... the images look terrible.

Hope everyone is enjoying a great weekend!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thrilling day yesterday, happily unexpected. Usually plans with my family are chaotic and tense. But I guess I wasn't the only one willing to plan to keep the drama at "bay" (play on words). In the morning, two siblings ( family in tow) plus my mom and dad went to the "Impressionists by the Sea" exhibit at the beautiful Legion of Honor museum overlooking SF Bay. The paintings were all on the subject of boating and bay in honor of the America's Cup. I saw a few stunning Monets and a few artists who were both expert painters and boaters. Then we took our picnic lunch and "snuck" down to the Fort Point, a much less touristy spot tucked underneath the Golden Gate Bridge which has picture postcard waves crashing against the rocks. We faced the start of America's Cup.

The fact that we had parking at both places, a grassy hill to ourselves to watch the race, and peace between my divorced parents were sure signs of divine intervention.

The boats appeared. Breathtaking. They dwarfed the hundreds of other boats gathered to watch. I know nothing about sailing but even in my ignorance I could see this was a rare spectacle. The race begun after 45 minutes of the boats strutting ( ok "tacking") quite close to us. During the race we passed the binoculars back and forth. Chance had me with the glasses when the Emritates (the kiwi boat) nearly capsized. I will never forget that moment of me screaming, my family dancing in concern, pointing, worrying.

I make a lot of drama in my little life. Here was drama before me and I was present every moment because I was OP with my food, not emotionally checked out in some sugar haze.

Grateful for the privilege of not letting my family send me into the food. Grateful my 81 year old father didn't crash on the long bike ride we took later into the Presidio through George Lucas' film studio. Grateful I am back home in my quiet little home with my food planned for today. I cannot help but think that my success was due to having been free from "addictive foods" for a week. This food plan is really uncovering important information for me.

Link to Race 8 if anyone is interested.http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americ...e-today/114467

Last edited by maryann; 09-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #94  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I've been MIA (and largely off plan) all weekend. I actually didn't do so well last week either. 2 cookies is a treat. 16 cookies is a binge. I've had 3 not good days in a row.

So, after the ice cream at the car show this afternoon, I realized I needed to recommit--as of right then. Recommit to:
  • Planning the next day's food the night before, in detail, including entering everything into MFP--no mental plan for a while--it's not been enough
  • Sticking to my weekly meal plan--with deviations planned the night before, not when I get home from work
  • Making sure I know exactly when and how I'm going to exercise
  • Preparing my lunch and snack the evening before (when I enter into MFP)
  • Posting here every night again
  • Reading my cards
  • Re-reading the pink book, a chapter a day

If that means that my for pleasure reading has to go on hold again, then that's what it means. I've been enjoying the Patricia Briggs urban fantasy, but my weight loss is stalled and I need to make it my priority again.

So, as part of my recommit and priority setting:
  • Planned all of next week's meals and made my grocery list for tomorrow
  • Entered all of tomorrow's food into MFP
  • Set the alarm for tomorrow to get up and go for a walk before work
  • Posted tonight
  • Read chapter 2 of the pink book
  • Made a new response card:
    Quote:
    To lose weight and keep it off permanently, I need to strength my resistance muscle every chance I get.

So--lots of credits!

Back on track...take care everyone.

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 09-15-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #95  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!
Thanks for all of your kind thoughts. We live very close to much of the heavily flooded areas (45 miles from Boulder). Despite such close proximity we have not had as much rain as the badly affected areas have. We have two creeks that come down into our town and intersect with the larger one, which flows directly into Golden, specifically the CoorsBeerPlant. They have all been very high,(higher than I have ever seen them) mostly wiping out bridges, which is a pain but not life changing. It needs to stop raining before anything is going to start to get better. Today it poured very hard off and on. I went up to my mom's rental property several times to check. It's right by the creek but the water was not as high as it was Thursday night when my mom lost a road and two giant culverts....oh, well.

My project is moving forward...the plumber has been working and finished all the rough in today.

I am planning meals for when my friends are here to continue the project next week. I cooked/baked today and will be glad to have meals in the freezer when they arrive next Monday.
Foodwise, I've been doing pretty well, but like Beth, had a cookie incident (after baking). I stopped *credit*.

I hadn't been taking a lunch to work all summer but reinstituted that habit, remembering how helpful it was when work food was tempting. I stocked up on local organic pears and WW muffins....one of each a day for work.

It's late and I work early tomorrow. Take care everyone!

Thanks, Beth(fromDayton), for taking the time and energy to post your get back on track plan! Credit!

BBE and ForMyGirls, sending you both back healing energies!

I'm acknowledging right now that I have alot of emotions going on. We are safe here but it just rains and rains and everytime I look outside I have such a helpless feeling because all of this water eventually makes it's way to the heavily flooded areas on the plains. It's like I feel guily to be so lucky to have a safe haven. I have done checking and right now there is nothing any of us can do except give $$. The emergency managment network has said all focus is on rescue now and no volunteers are needed. I donated to the 3 county animal shelters most in need right now. It was what I could do today.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #96  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Parbuckle The Costa Concorida Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Continued to hobble through the day favoring my back. It feels better after minor moving about.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, but snacking got modified to try to make the back feel better. (Note the demonstration of my Sabotaging Thoughts of the day, LOL.) I did avoid digging into unopened packages of cookies that DW keeps for nature programs that she runs.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for getting ahead of yourself with your exercise goal of the month. DW picked some Kale from our community garden yesterday. Hoping to still be doing that in November.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – So Glad you're weathering the rains. Those bridges are a frightening loss. Hope your properties stay above the floods. Kudos for taking back your lunch at work.

maryann - Unbelievable that you had such a stellar view of the Kiwi boat nearly capsizing at the start of the America's Race. Kudos for recognizing that you were enjoying the day without food substituting for feelings. Yay for your 81 year old father still riding a bike.

nationalparker – Yay for enjoying late sunsets. Congrats for continuing your four level landscaping.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Neat Response Card, "To lose weight and keep it off permanently, I need to strength my resistance muscle every chance I get." Those other days are behind you. You've got a plan for going forward.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

What to Discuss with your Coach

During your scheduled weekly meeting, you should talk about:
  • Your change in weight during the past week. You don't have to state you actual weight, just how much the scale went up or down.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 87.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #97  
Green Tomatoes

We ended up at a restaurant for lunch, but I made a good choice -- a pickled vegetable and spinach wrap. Good and spicy! I left at least half of the tortilla it was wrapped in. I prevailed and we cooked one of the normal suppers in our repertoire.

MiL is doing better than expected. It's amazing how much easier it is to be motivated when it's to move around your own kitchen and to your own bathroom.

I don't have a plan yet for today (for either the day or the food), but I'm gonna get myself one in the next hour or two!

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +30 735/1400 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

bethfromDayton: I hope you get things in order and back to Patricia Briggs soon (a fave of mine!)

Lexxiss: thanks for your update. Take care of yourself. It is more stressful than it seems like it should be when we're worried about our communities but can offer little practical help. Some times I wish I worked in an emergency service just to have something that feels important to do.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I continue to be free of the "drop seven" foods. Plan for today in MyFit.
Roofers are clashing around up top and the fencers will be around this weekend. It will be nice when it is all over. Credit step class. I think I want to make a to do list today so I can take the rest of the day off justifiably.

Lexxiss: Thinking of you and wishing for the best.

BBE: Credit for realizing the food won't make the back better. I had a similar thought, "Food will make me less tired."

BethfromDayton: Credit for recommitment.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #99  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation hello all

Hi Coaches

I(this keyboard has no apostrophes --bear with me)ve pretty much been in hiding. I worked all week last week on my construction board project which was a really tough event to negotiate. Our weather went from 37C with humidity to 8C with strong norther winds, We had rain and thunderstorms. The only thing missing was snow and hail but that can stay away forever if it wants. I was part of 20 artists working to create something about the perfect city. Our 8foot x 10foot aluminum panels were cut in two horizontally and then we had nowhere to place them so they would be upright and attached to eah other so we worked on the pavement, in a large tent, that was dark with the sides down, and they were mostly down due to wind and rain, but the rain seeped under the sides and flooded the pavement and threatened to flood our boards but we had to sit on the wet ground and so it went on ad infitum. I did chance it a few days and worked outside on my painting. Fellow artists labelled me as an illustrator, I guess vs. a fine artist. *sigh* that this stuff got to me is a sign of how stressed I am--we are moving my mother this week. My sister arrives from Florida on Wed. and we drive to Ottawa Thursday, stay over night at SILs house, in the house where my brother died *double big sigh, fear and worry* and then the next day we pack my mom and drive her 5 hours to her new, smaller, place. Dont ask me how I think its going to go. Ill just tell you i dreamt 20 cruise missiles were launched at us, right where I live, and the dream was spent in the moments of knowing they were on their way but werent here yet. hello. My subconscious is anticipating my life being blown apart.... I know I am being terribly dramatic and over emotional. I know to look on the bright side and be positive. I know it will be ok and things will work out. But I am eating, worrying and isolating and I cant seem to stop right now. I try, I start, I plan and then I dont follow through. I seek to escape which is impossible but the truth. I have promised I will go to an anonymous meeting tomorrow night. I really need help and support. And having regained some weight that I expected would fall off but hasnt is adding to my feelings of futility and hopelessness so I need to seek help. I absolutely cannot cope with my mothers arrival and move here by eating. its not an option.

Sorry to be such a downer. really I am. I am very tired of myself being so off track and so bad at this losing weight thing. I just have to drop the dramatics and start again. I am happy to read everyones posts though...

And lexxiss Ive been under a rock as I had no idea of the flooding in your area! I know you are taking good care. My best to you, your mom and your DH -- hope renos are also happening smoothly.

billblueeyes did you actually see the tree you can drive through*question mark here* I read somewhere that you cant drive through it anymore. Do you have a nice peaceful image of giant trees you could share... *question mark here too*

Last edited by onebyone; 09-16-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #100  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Back at another busy workweek. Got through the day so far being 100% on plan. Allowed myself the treat of 50 calories for a square of chocolate. Food has been fairly light so far, planning on 1/3-1/2 order of chicken kung pao tonight. Trying to get back to the feeling of finishing up no longer hungry vs. fuller.

Good for me to see all the recommitment on here. Makes me feel less alone. Haven't been going too far astray, but not on the straight path the past few days. Good Beck's bit today, Bill - I need to commit to sharing my weight's up/down here and not just the rare downs. More accountability if I have to actually type that I'm up.

Plan tonight is to prepare tomorrow's lunch in advance, even if I plan to drive home to eat. New advantages card written finally.

Did very brief marketing yesterday - enough to get us to midweek. Feel like I've been losing my weekends to only errands and chores and nothing that really is relaxing, so I'm going to work some of that in when I can this week - even just reading Beck's and journaling. Is wanting time to relax something only recent generations would ever talk about wanting?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

OK day yesterday. About 80% OP. Miserable wet cold weather though so I didn't exercise – I need to come up with an indoor exercise option that I can do while I am unable to ride my bike. I'm not going to try and work that out now though because it feels a bit deflating and I need to build positive thoughts.

Finding it a bit hard to get my focus back – before the injury I was 100% OP most days. But I have gotten into a bit of a habit of near enough is good enough but I know that sustained weight loss will only happen if I am 100% OP most days. Have decided to add food 100% OP to my list of habits so I can motivate myself with trying to get the longest streak. I do feel like I will get back on track though so that is a good thing. Credit to me for finding a strategy to help get the focus back. Credit to me for owning up to my imperfections and at the same time being kind to myself about them.

BBE – soooooo sorry to hear about your back! I am sending lots of quick recovery vibes across the oceans to you.

Gardner joy – well done you for keeping the motivation to have a healthy home-cooked dinner after a busy taxing day!

National Parker – well done for being 100% on plan! And for working out a way to have an OP take out on a day when you know work will be too full on to achieve a cooked meal.

Maryann – yay for such a positive day with your family and for all your hard work getting yourself to a headspace where that would be possible.

Beth – hurray for being back on track! Great response card too – I'm going to borrow that one!

Lexxis – glad to hear that you are coping okay in the flooding. I am adding my wishes for sunshine and dry skies for you and all your neighbours.

One by one – well done for reaching out and posting to us. I hope that you manage to do it again today – and I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we are delighted to hear from you, however you are feeling, and that if you are feeling down we want to know about it! And on a less serious note – I enjoyed your descriptive punctuation – made me think I was reading a play, and reminded me of Victor Borge's spoken punctuation.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #102  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Today was my first full recommital day. I snoozed the alarm once--and did my walk before work (faster than I'd done it a few nights earlier with DH).

I read chapter 3 of the pink book this morning--I need to be reminding myself why I'm doing this! (with breakfast) (I can't manage to be totally undistracted)

I only made two adjustments to my written plan today--I decreased my blueberries from 1/3 cup to 1/4 cup at dinner, and I skipped my evening ice cream treat, even though I'd planned it. I thought I'd eat it after my walk but now I don't feel as if I particularly want it, so I'm skipping it. I can plan one for Wednesday--it doesn't fit tomorrow.

I even pulled my phone out at dinner time to check portion sizes since they were all entered. And I didn't "wing it" on my chicken portion. I measured it and was precise--not "close enough because chicken isn't that caloric"--but actually 4.0 oz. I'd been letting that slip a lot--today, I was exact.

Tomorrow's meals are all entered into MFP and my lunch and snack are made and in the refrigerator in my lunch bag. I've also brought a water cup in--I'm going to try and cut back at least one soda per day.

And, obviously, I've posted tonight :-) -- with personals so that I'm back to fully invested in all of you--being "too tired" for personals several days in a row is just another way of exercising my giving in muscle instead of my resistance muscle.

maryann: Is that the JJ Virgini Diet? Credit for stepping!

gardenerjoy: Credit for a good lunch choice--and even more so for leaving part of the tortilla itself behind!

BillBE: I hope your back is doing better--back pain is so hard to deal with. Good reminder that food doesn't resolve pain.

Lexxiss: Thinking of you--it's hard not to be able to do something. I'm glad to hear you stopped your cookies!

onebyone: Credit for perservering and posting even with a difficult computer. It sounds like you have so very much going on right now. I think it's courageous to realize you need more help.

nationalparker: Thanks for reminding me of the 'no longer hungry' vs. full -- and big credits for a 100% OP day.

ForMyGirls: Why isn't this easy? Credit for giving yourself credit today--it sounds as if you have a technique (looking for a long streak) that works for you!

Take care, all.

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 09-16-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #103  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!
My weight has been going up and down a bit this week as I've been trying to figure out what amount of points each day is best for me to use. I think only using 14 of my weeklies works best. At first I was able to eat up all my points but now it seems I gain weight if I do that. I only lost 0.4 of a kilo this week but at least it's a loss.
I missed out on exercise one day last week because it was a busy day. But I kept fairly active doing cleaning that day.
Sorry I haven't been posting here that much, I have no idea how often I should be posting here.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Congratulations to all the engineers and geeks of the world for the successful up-righting of the Costa Concordia in Giglio, Italy yesterday. I love success of impossibly big projects.

I mimicked Beverlyjoy by ditching the remainder of a package of manufactured cookies into the compost bucket this morning, CREDIT moi. I had found my way into them as a 'snack' yesterday when I was feeling sorry for myself that my back wasn't yet perfect - Ouch. I finally walked to the library, CREDIT moi, which made the back feel better. The book I had requested wasn't there yet but I bumped into two folks I knew along the way as a bonus to the walk.

onebyone – Kudos for recognizing, "I absolutely cannot cope with my mothers arrival and move here by eating." There's a bunch of us right now thinking about using food to alleviate something. [Didn't drive through a Redwood, but did walk through one. I'm working on uploading an image.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the observation that your MIL is more motivated in her own home. Reminds me of the unexpected result from a study attempting to show how early an infant will track a moving object with their eyes. Turned out that an infant will track a sibling several months earlier than a yellow balloon - the standard test item. Infants aren't robots, duh!

maryann - May all your repairs go well. Yep, Kudos for step class to keep the mind agile.

nationalparker – Chocolate is good. Chocolate for only 50 calories is super good. My take is that folks a century ago were so busy they didn't even imagine relaxing.

VioletDolphin83 – Congrats on a loss - any size loss is a step in the right direction. My take is that one should post here at the frequency that feels beneficial. For some of us, daily accountability helps us remember that we're on a journey.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Precision with food does, indeed, help the mind stay the path. Kudos for tackling that.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Kudos for working on your strategy for staying on focus. Indoor exercise is a must outside of Shangri-La.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

What to Discuss with your Coach

During your scheduled weekly meeting, you should talk about: . . .
  • The successes you had during the past week. Use the to-do lists at the end of each day to report on what you've done. Mention anything else that you deserve credit for, so your diet coach can positively reinforce what you've done.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 87.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

100% OP today. I'm stoked! Feels like the wheels are back on. Beth your "every chance I get" was sooooo helpful today :-) so - credits: using Beth's great response card; making meditation and stretching my first priority; treating a day of meetings in many locations as an opportunity to get my exercise by walking between them; sticking to that idea even in the face of rain. A cool side benefit - it created the opportunity to walk with a colleague whose company I really enjoy.

Beth - woohoo for a day full of renewed good habits.

VioletDolphin- .4kg loss sounds great to me for a week! Great work.

bBe - well done for ditching the cookies - not an easy thing to do! And good to hear the back is improving.
Closed Thread