Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Book Lover's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, where I bumped into my gym buddy who likes concerts. He fell for the 'Joe Green' line even though he knows enough opera that when I mentioned The Magic Flute he burst out singing, Papageno, Papageno, Papageno, LOL. Walked over to water our community garden and only harvested one cuke. Our tomatoes aren't doing well this year; the other gardens are dripping tomatoes - some left on the vine because there's too many. Walking also included the library where I picked up a book for DW.

Skipped evening snack, CREDIT moi, since I'd over snacked earlier - Ouch. We stayed out on the patio until fully dark just enjoying the evening.

onebyone – Kudos for putting those cookies in the freezer. My head spins at the thought of a constant source of good Arabic food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL that "a pretzel roll is salty bread."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Cheering for "energy and zest."

maryann - LOL at the disappearing teaspoons. Kudos for not going out to buy more.

nationalparker – Ouch for key lime pie getting past your guard - might have been the memory of Florida calling. [Hadn't thought of the green salad being related to Verdi - maybe. day 40 Enrich Your Life comes from the 42 day plan in Beck's Pink book.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Always Kudos for facing stress without eating.

ForMyGirls - Major Kudos for enjoying a small Jaffa slice (Don't look if you're on a food plan, LOL.) Congrats on that scale going down.

3rdTimeLucky - Yep, Kudos indeed for recognizing your success even when not perfect. Ouch that one broken leg frustrates a whole family.

reesuh - LOL at "all food must be transported in the trunk!" - whatever it takes. Kudos for pursuing a way to get a daily reading of your Advantages Card since that's a big help.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate.

Train yourself to eat with some distractions. It's best to minimize distractions when you eat by refraining from reading, watching TV, or using the computer. While this is a desirable goal, I've found most people just won't do this long term. Even if your aren't engaging in one of these activities, you're bound to get distracted if you eat with other people and carry on a conversation.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pgs 80-81.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #92  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone! I haven't been here in ages! I got the green book now and have been reading it and have liked it so far. Before I was using the pink book and weight watchers but I didn't like that as much.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #93  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Ahhh - ha ha on the Day 40- I'm thinking it's a 40-day challenge or a 50-day challenge to every day enrich our lives and at the end see how your life is different! It just didn't click at ALL. A bit embarrassed but now thinking maybe this is a book I must write. Because I dream of being a writer, yet never take the time to write. More later...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Evening coaches,

OK day today. Some credits - went shopping this evening and noticed before I left that the "now's my chance" track was running so reminded myself that that wasn't what we were therefore and all went well. Worked out this morning that doing my meditation and eating my breakfast slowly and mindfully was more important than starting work at the time I had set for myself as my start time!

Got off track with a friend who visited, with pastries in hand. Noticed that I was doing a thing where I was trying to justify having had them- why it wasn't really a lapse! Realising that is a thing I do. And that the "I had to eat it to be polite is really BS - I ate it because I wanted to and being polite was just my excuse. A good bit though was noticing that it seemed excessive to have a whole pastry - 4 weeks ago I would have scoffed it and thought "where's the rest" so apparently my expectations are shifting - which is good.

3TL - well done for taking the time to report in at the end of a long day. Parenting solo for 2 weeks is hard yakka, even without a broken leg in the family. You're doing great!

Beth - nice work not eating through your stress

National Parker - LOL on the "come to mama". Well done on eating so slowly and mindfully in a work setting though - I can imagine that being a bit tricky.

Reesuh - hello again - looking forward to hearing your new plan to make the card reading happen

BBE - yay for getting to the gym

VioletDolphin - nice to meet you!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches.... home sweet home. I am glad to be back home. My performances went well. It was good to see my grandkids too.

Now for the business of sane eating. I don't quite know how to start again. Maybe with reading the Beck Solution from the start. I don't know. I feel weary of this struggle that is always ongoing. It's been nearly 50 years I've been trying. So - I will get out my notebook and plan.

I've been coughing for a month via post nasal drip. Maybe at age 61 I've developed allergies. I've been treating it with OTC things. I guess it's time to get it checked out. I don't feel sick - which is good! Just coughing all day and night.

I'll be back later.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #96  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile TGIF and all that.

Coaches

I both cursed and thanked myself for starting another decluttering and then an exercise thread. Do I *really* need all this focus and do I relly need to check in here and to check in via email with someone too? Uh yeah. My Official Weighin has gone from the 259.9 yesterday morning to today's official 258.4. Already one walk, some planning, not perfect choices nor the optimum portions but the body, my body, responds. It is incredible really. My goal with those two threads are to keep those aspects of my program at the top of my head. Not buried and too easily shoved aside and forgotten. My self-priorities have been askew. I need to right myself and only I can do that. It helps when others are doing what I am doing too. It's why I haven't really ever left here. What for?

I've *credit* emailed my foodplan to my buddy, *credit* posted here and committed my exercise and my decluttering goals for the day. If I don't visit the garden today due to rain, I am visiting a local art gallery that's been on my to-do list since I moved here. Time to go see it and get inspired.

Have a good Friday.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #97  
Green Tomatoes

We spent ninety minutes in a plumbing supply store, but the end result is going to be good when all the bits and pieces show up -- filtered water from a tap in the kitchen.

I made a good choice during our planned lunch out and, otherwise, was completely on my plan. Yay! I'm feeling like I'm back to my new normal and that feels good.

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +65 395/1500 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: Nodding with "Do I *really* need all this focus and do I really need to check in here and to check in via email with someone too?" I think one of the most important things I got from Beck was this awareness that it takes an astounding amount of structure to get myself to do what I claim I want to do, whether it's lose weight or write more or fix up my house. Now that I've accepted it, it's become one of the first things I ask myself when I start something new -- okay, what structures can I set up to make this work? Good for you for setting up those two threads to help yourself.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #98  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

A very brief check in....my next few days will be jam packed and "choices" of restaurants will be 100% out of my control as my brother/spouse are here for mom's 92nd BD. What is in my control are the choices at each individual meal.
I've reread Day 30 "stay in Control When Eating Out." I find I do so much better returning to OP when I stay as close as I can "to my plan" when eating out. credit. Last night dinner worked perfectly. As I was at WhFoods shopping (and planning) at the same time I made great decisions leaning towards a simplified, yet enjoyable meal, focused on healthy. credit

We're leaving here soon...my main goal pre trip is getting my exercise in. credit.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #99  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good luck, Lexxiss - enjoy the celebration, but probably not a grand idea to take the vitamix to a restaurant for your green smoothie Just kidding - I'm still wowed that you took it on a trip and that I never thought to bring my small immersion blender that I use.

I'm struggling today. Wanted lunch at 9:30. Ate it at 11. I think it was the combination that I had it with me, wasn't driving home to prep something, and had made light chicken salad, but had bought fresh rolls and wanted to try them - honey wheat. Sad to report that they were mediocre at best. Drove home and took pooch for a quick walk, and spent time with the pets.

I think I should restart the Beck book. A month until my birthday, give or take, and there was a skirt that I own that is most definitely 40s style that I would love to wear. I suspect that it won't get worn this year because for me to cram myself in it, i'd look like a tabloid photo of someone known for tabloid photos mainly.

Will do the marketing this evening and get us set up for healthy meals.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #100  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Nationalparker I hate when that happens - when you think sth is gonna be really yummy and it's often not at all but a real disappointment. That actually stopped me choosing a piece of cake a couple of weeks back. It looked good, but I convinced myself it wouldn't meet expectations so would be a waste of calories. It did the trick!

Good day here. Was eating out at lunch with my folks. Chose yet another chicken salad with just a little balsamic. It was yummy but I ate all the chicken and left half the salad as I was full. I am going to go do 20 minutes of exercise on my swiss ball with my weights - some upper body stuff. Before allowing myself to collapse on the sofa with my planned pineapple and low cal white chocolate dessert...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #101  
persist

Default summary of the day's events

Hmmm... doing better here, worse there.... I walked my 45 minutes plus then did the stop/start/stop walking in a gallery looking at the art. Then I shopped at a big grocery store=walking for sure. But I bougt extra food I didn't plan, jsut wanted, both as a reward for my walking and a reward for allowingmsyelf to get to that gallery. I have a terrible habit of self-denial of things that I want/would make me happy. That I both walked AND went to the gallery was almost too much. In fact, I walked then thought "I'll go to the gallery another day" even though I was right there. I had to use th bathroom so went into the gallery to discover today was FREE admission day. Hello? I had to go in! And it was AWESOME. The abstracts were vibrating with 60+ year old colour. Wow. Apparently the one I enjoyed the most is alos the one "the kids love the best". Figures. Anyway, came home ate dinner and then ate more--I had the stuff the neighbour brought over yesterday. 6 samples of different stuff DH won't touch it but I, as usual, want to try everything. It's gone now. Cookies remain frozen so this is good. SO, to sum it up:

I walked today
I went to the gallery today
I had lunch but changed my plan
I had dinner but added food not on my plan

Tomorrow we go to Wonderland amusement park. Free funnel cake coupon. I'm on the fence on this. The only advice I got from guild members this morning when I told them of the free rides and the free funnel cake was "don't eat the cake before you go on the big roller coasters." Sage advice.

Have a good night.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #102  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DW is happy because a full inch of rain fell. But it meant eating dinner inside; I hate to waste a single summer day. Walked when the rain stopped, CREDIT moi, to include a section where young folks hang out after work. There was a lot of ice cream going down, LOL.

Eating was OK - CREDIT moi. Snacks remain larger than planned.

onebyone – A day visiting a new art gallery is a good day. Kudos that cookies remain frozen.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for choosing your water filter plumbing. Do you now install it yourselves?

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Happy Birthday to your mom. Hope the family visit continues to be pleasant.

Beverlyjoy – Yep, it's ongoing. Like the other stuff in life. Fortunately, we're ongoing too.

nationalparker – Sign me up to buy your book about 50 days to enrich your life. Particularly for the part that measures how it's different since that part seems pretty subjective. LOL at looking like a tabloid photo.

VioletDolphin83 – Glad you're liking the Green Book. What are your two eating plans now?

ForMyGirls - Dual Kudos: one for noticing the track, "now's my chance" and the other for recognizing that you were rationalizing about the gift pastries.

3rdTimeLucky - Neat strategy to convince yourself that the cake won't meet expectations.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate.
...It's best to minimize distractions
when you eat,
but ultimately you'll need
..to learn the skill of eating mindfully
.......even if you're distracted.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 81.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Evening coaches, 99%OP today. Only thing I didn't do was stretch. Stretching is so boring!!!!! But I will do it tomorrow :-)

Some credits - chose not to "round up" my serve of yoghurt! Thought to have my afternoon snack before going grocery shopping so I wouldn't be hungry while I was there. Declined an invitation for an outing because doing my fortnight meal planning and shopping list writing was important. I had a bit of a sore back this morning so opted to go for a walk rather than riding, instead of using it as an excuse not to exercise!

A random cool thing - my partner made jam (well technically marmalade) with our glut of lemons today. He has always wanted to make home made jam and was so thrilled. It was just lovely to watch his delight. Bread maker is set to go so I am really looking forward to a brekkie of home-baked bread and home made jam :-)

Beverlyjoy - ouch for that feeling of "I don't know where to start again" - but as it turns out you do because here you are, checking in and sitting down to plan! Well done for not letting the weariness defeat you.

Onebyone - it really warms my heart to read your posts. Having not known you at all before your brother's passing it looks like the most magical transformation to see someone emerge from such raw pain and start to live again. Loved the favourite painting being "the one the kids like best"

Gardenerjoy - what a right on observation - to approach all new things with a "what structures do I need in place to make this work" I shall use that!

Lexxis - credit to you for thinking ahead about the challenges you will be facing

Nationalparker - ouch on the disappointing rolls! Love to hear more of a description of the '40's skirt :-)

3TL - love your "it will just be a disappointment" strategy for avoiding cake consumption. Shall have to try that!

BBE - credit to you for getting out and walking in the gap in the rain.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #104  
persist

Coaches

Heading out to the amusement park. By the time your read this I may, or may not, have ridden my first roller coaster. Check in with you guys later!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #105  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Another brief check in....I'm awaiting the call saying "we're ready" to drive over to Vail, a drive I've made hundreds of times when we head over to our pool spot.

So 3 meals down and 3 to go before the brothers leave. Yesterday went well, foodwise. Their lunch choice was tokyojoes where I chose the healthiest item on the menu, lettuce wraps with grilled tofu. Dinner was at our local BuffaloBar, where mom and I split a buffaloburger with FF. I ordered a side salad, in addition. I ate all the fries plus 1 onion ring yet felt good about the choice since lunch was light. credit. I've pledged to get my exercise in before we leave so I'd best be going.

nationalparker, I did not bring the vitamix but DID bring my own dressing AND coffee creamer, just in case DH and I decided on coffee.

My thoughts this morning are centered on just how important and necessary it is to think things out ahead of time when eating out. It's made it so much easier for me this time around.
Closed Thread