Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #151  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My coworker started texting me at 130....partying too much and incapable of working. This was going to be my leisurely day to pack...go to breakfast w/mom, etc. So, I am packing now trying to get a head start and I am, unfortunately, working. Oh, well.

Food has been OP and I am thrilled to be heading to this wedding at my lowest (and ticker) weight. This has been planned for so many months and after my winter/holiday 10#, I committed myself AlaBeck to use my dieting/Beck skills and head to this big family affair at DH's Ex' turf at a low and confident weight. credit. I'm so grateful for all of you. Dieting is so much easier (and more fun) with supportive coaches! Thx!

BBE, a BD watermelon....I love the idea! I will definitely put that one on my list.

onebyone, sending supportive thoughts as you gather with your family today and share in the cherished memory of your brother.

hughs dad! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-21-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Special hello to Hugh's Dad! I am a newcomer here too (Day 4) so I look forward to us discovering the world of Beck together:-) You can get an e-book version for iPad/iPhone if that is any help to you.

Glad to be expanding your vocab with some Aussie slang Bill :-)

Feeling so empowered by all this at the mo. lovely feeling. Giving myself credit for: sitting down whenever I ate (especially when I had a mid afternoon apple which could so easily have been eaten on the run); taking advantage of a decent day weather wise and walking to the shops for groceries; noticing the "hey, I'm at the shops, now's my chance" thoughts and not buying into them.

This eating slowly business is tricky. Have to make sure I remember that, like meditation, you are succeeding when you notice you are not doing it, not just when you are doing it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend for those of you who are having Sunday morning right now!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #153  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Aahhh... one more weekend day for me. I was able to semi-rescue yesterday with mostly veggies for dinner ... The storms threatened nearly all day here as well, with little rain to show for it. Rewarded with stunning sunset. I have more pictures of sunsets here than young mothers have of their babies. Well, maybe not.

Spent time last night downloading kindle books from our library for free- i search around on amazon and then check to see if my library has them and viola - I usually luck out. I feel rich with so many free reading materials waiting for me!

Welcome, HughsDad! I look forward to hearing what challenges you have and how you successfully work through them!

I'm struggling this weekend as I'm alone (DH is working) and while I thoroughly enjoy time alone, I'm sneaking food in front of myself. Well, yesterday I was. No plan. Aha! Funny how THAT worked out. Back to the book!

And Bill - you got me thinking SO MUCH of TREE NUTS (I've only ever called them nuts) and so when I went to market I picked up a bag of low sodium pistachios with limited servings (4). I didn't realize how much salt the regular ones had because I can really taste a difference. Credits for all of your gym trips this week!

No loss on the scale this week - wish I could say I don't know why, but the reason is evident.

GardenerJoy - i think it's you who says you don't prep your next bite until you've finished the one you're enjoying. I'm going to write that down and use that as my thought/goal for the week, along with cutting portions. I can certainly get back to "no longer hungry" vs. feeling fuller.

Lexxiss - Oh, that stinks that you have to cover for your coworker and lose a day of being off. CONGRATS on heading to the wedding at lowest point. What a major accomplishment to regroup after winter and GET IT DONE.

ForMyGirls - Great job on eating sitting down! Hope your weekend was great! What will challenge you most this week?

How many of you meditate on a daily basis? I'd like to add that into a routine - even for only a few minutes each morning. I find myself rushing to get out the door - taking care of the pets/letting pooch out, prepping breakfast, and now trying to add some activity into the morning when it's cool ... and was wondering do you meditate when you FIRST rise? Or right before zipping out the door? (I think I'd use up that time myself, so looking for tips).
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #154  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone,
Today has been on plan, it is much easier with veggies prepped. I have been working strange shifts at work and that requires extra planning. I find when I am tired I am not as structured, that is why planning works well.The heatwave here is breaking which is good as I can get out walking again. The pool is very refreshing during the heat.
I hope everyone has a great day.
Ann

Onebyone, I am thinking of you as you gather with your family. May all the wonderful memories of your brother help to give you strength during this time.
Take Care
Ann
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #155  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi, all!

Today has been an OP day, food-wise, although I just realized that I haven't entered anything into MFP. I generally end up not doing a written plan for weekend days, but I have my "goto" meals and stayed on track.

Exercise-wise, I slept late and didn't get in a walk. I will walk tomorrow, though! Lunch and snack are all packed and ready to go for tomorrow--credit for that.

I usually do my week's planning Sunday evening and grocery shopping Monday after work. DD is out of ice cream and fruit is getting low--the stuff we use to make her smoothies. So, I did the planning earlier today and went grocery shopping. I didn't know grocery stores were that crowded late Sunday afternoons!

Take care, all. Have a great OP week!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hi everyone,

Day 5 today. Finding the "choose a coach" thing a bit challenging. How do you all do that bit? Do you just use your posts to these boards? Or do you have individual coaches? There are 3 people in my life who I would trust for this role but there are big reasons not to ask each of them. Which makes me wonder whether chatting to you guys is what I should do. But I worry that it might not be "real" enough. I worry that if things get sticky it will be easy to just stop posting - whereas someone I already know would follow me up. What have your experiences been?

National Parker - the thing that will be challenging this week will be time / anxiety about time. I was on leave last week (and switched my work email off on phones etc so was really on leave!) first day back today. I really love my job and I have a huge amount of autonomy, both of which I am very grateful for but it does mean that it can become all consuming and it is up to me to set the boundaries, which can be challenging. So this week I am going to be battling my tendency to disappear into work. First taste of it today with eating slowly at lunchtime. Sooooo hard not to keep reading / answer some emails instead of noticing how my food tasted.

You also asked about meditation. I do mindfulness meditation on a very regular basis. In theory everyday, but it probably ends up being about 50% of days. I try to do it as soon as I wake up as I find I am far more likely to be able to actually meditate before I am in the "busyness" of the day. Tricky sometimes with little people in the house if they wake before me but they do try to leave me in peace :-) It makes such a phenomenal difference to my life though that it is really worth the effort to make it happen. I find that if I haven't meditated for more than a week then I see the difference the very first day I am back on track.

Credits for today: resisted the lamingtons (some more Ozzie lingo for you Bill :-)) in the tea room; didn't buy a chocolate bar when I stopped for petrol on the way home; really took my time drinking my coffee this morning; did some time planning last night so that I was able to get some exercise in before work today; managed to support one of my girls through a tricky experience today (not diet related but really important to me!)

Happy Monday to you all.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My triumph was to avoid falling face first into the platters of top shelf pastries from a local stellar bakery - CREDIT moi. I tasted three of them, with small enough bites that I'm pleased, and left all of the rest even knowing that what went unconsumed might get thrown away. Someday I'll get back to the path of taking none - but I'll accept credit for a good show.

Enjoyed the day with the heat spell broken. Had two good walks with DW, CREDIT moi. Also made it to our community garden to provide some water to the plants suffering from the heat. Picked the first two cherry tomatoes - sheer joy.

onebyone – Thinking of you - sending supportive thoughts toward Ottawa.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for being so much ahead of your game that you can substitute at work for a friend right in your busiest time.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Neat to have those veggies prepped already.

nationalparker – Yay for Kindle books. I've avoided buying a Kindle so far - don't know how long I'll last. DD is reading J. K. Rowling's new novel because she could get it on Kindle immediately when all the stores are sold out.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for continuing to make smoothies for your DD out of ice cream and fruit and not succumbing.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Extra Kudos for sitting down for all eating, including the snack of an apple.

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

what are you thinking?
Are you having any sabotaging thoughts about giving yourself credit? Here are some typical ones, along with helpful responses. Create Response Cards for any you think apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't deserve credit for doing things I should already be doing. These things aren't accomplishments. They should be easy for me to do.
Helpful Response: If I don't give myself credit for essentiall behaviors, I'll be less likely to practice these behaviors consistently. If I were naturally thin, had a small appetite, and didn't have to work at controlling my weight, perhaps I wouldn't deserve credit. But I'm not naturally thin. I do struggle. I do deserve credit every single time I think about something in a helpful way or engage in helpful behavior.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 77.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #158  
Green Tomatoes

I was on plan yesterday and have a new plan written for today. Credit and credit!

I enjoyed meeting with out-of-town relatives between breakfast and lunch. Turns out that you can have a visit without food. We sat in their hotel lobby for a couple of hours to swap family stories and it was just right.

Welcome, hughs_dad!

onebyone: continuing to think of you. I hope yesterday went as well as it could.

ForMyGirls: the people on this board are my coaches and I use my posts as my reports. Collectively, there's a lot of wisdom here and you're unlikely to find anyone in real life with as much knowledge about the Beck principles as we have gathered here.
The only disadvantage is that no one is going to chase you down and ask why you haven't reported. I've had to make reporting here the first step to getting back on track so that I don't stay away too long. Fortunately, it really works. Not intstantaneously, but if I'm writing posts I'm confident that everything else will follow.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #159  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Very pleased to see the scale drop this morning ... 169.6 and trying to get back to my ticker weight after being over it yet for some reason resisting the act of changing it. For a few MONTHS.

Got two bike rides in yesterday evening. Did one, then called DH on his way home to see if he wanted to go, but after a 14-hr day, he's wiped out, so went again on my own. Credits.

Made turkey mozzarella bruschetta burgers yesterday (no buns with these babies) and boy, they are good. Cukes/onions and carrot sticks rounded it out. Made brussel sprouts for DH - that's all him. blech. Credit for marketing that included loads of fresh fruits and veggies and frozen ones as well.

Bill - You showed remarkable restraint around the high end pastries. YUM. I can pass things up easier if I know they WON'T be thrown out! I received the kindle as a gift, and had just said how much I love hard copies of books, so it was an ill-timed comment. I still enjoy "real" books but love carrying many on my kindle for travel and late night reading in bed. I resisted at first, but now...I only get the freebies from the library Even if I'm on hold for something.

OneByOne - I hope yesterday was filled with good memories/stories. Hope you know we're all thinking of you here and willing you strength.

ForMyGirls - Yes, feel free to use this forum as your coach. I've thought about asking folks to PM me if I am absent too long to reel me back in. But so far, I enjoy the accountability and camaraderie. Do you meditate before rising from bed? I'm thinking I need to get to a place that's away from the pets, etc., because I'll distract myself easily.

Beth - You are just STEAMING right along. Great job. Just fantastic! Good feedback from your last get-together?

GardenerJoy - I reread your goal story now and then and always get something to focus on - this time it's the "hunger is not an emergency" thought. Good to have that reiterated.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #160  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey everyone. Difficult week. I did not overeat but I did practically no planning - or exercise. Off to a better start today. I just saw my dr and my weight was great - too great. He checked it twice but I still don't believe it. My daughter has an appt with one of her drs his afternoon so I will double check it there. Of course, that will be after eating. But I figure...if it is within a few pounds, then it was probably correct! Either way, I hope to be able to put a new weight on my ticker, as I should be down somewhat.

Off to eat a late breakfast and plan for an early dinner - it is going to be a two meal day, with a snack (yogurt) 8ish if I am still hungry.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #161  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

I didn't get any solace from the funeral itself, however it is over and we are heading home today to my cat Caesar and my own life waiting to unfold. As time goes by I will have to navigate the feelings that float to the surface. For our purposes here, I did not eat over any feelings this weekend. I truly didn't. Faced with the 1/2 a large dining room table, with 2 leaves in it, filled witt homemade pastries, and the other half, covered with various combinations of bread and meat. SIL directed me to the small cheese plate that I dismissed as the squares of cheese looked so much like the soda crackers beside it that I thought it to be all crackers--which now, thinking about it, would have been weird to have only crackers, but the crowd we were running with was unfamiliar to me and so, it was, plausible.

My brother's wife is in a bad way and I am worried about her. I truly wish her well and to find a way through this. This morning her facebook posts hint at feelings of being punished. I hope this is a passing phase.

My brother is sealed in an obelisk. Bronze, square. He loved boxes and would have approved of the font chosen to mark his name and dates. I did wonder if there was a door on the bottom. I picture it like the opening of a piggy bank, where the ashes could be released when the rubber stopper was removed. I was tempted to check it. Perhaps someday I will get the chance. He won't mind.

I am relieved to be through it. I am glad to see those I saw. I felt loved and was moved. I said what I needed to say. And I woke up happy to be alive and in no hurry to release my particles of energy back into the universe. My consolation came via long discussions with my sister, BIL and DH until 3am, ending only when we couldn't keep our eyes open.

Still no meat being eaten. OP all the way. credit. Thank you for all your good thoughts, wishes, notes. I know it helped. Let's enjoy our life today, ok?

Last edited by onebyone; 07-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from LA wedding. Credit for taking the good with the bad. In the plus column: DH and I had excellent communication (which doesn't always happen when we are with family). I promised before we left to let him know right up front if I needed something ( emotionally) and he promised to not be a negative troubleshooter to try and stop me from having feelings (which drives me crazy). So we both relaxed and enjoyed watching a true carnival of the absurd that passed for a modern wedding. I wrote a long, long post on it which I deleted later in the afternoon. I have a defect of being overly judgmental.

Suffice it to say I am happy to live in my unpredictable, imperfect, non-photogenic but often spontaneously beautiful life which I can now fully enjoy because I am not spending every moment focused on food.

My Food was not bad. I managed to exercise one day. I woke up the day after the wedding with a bad stomach bug (or something) I want to spend the day recuperating and get to yoga class this afternoon.

Welcome Hugh and ForTheGirls. This place is a godsend for me.

Last edited by maryann; 07-22-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #163  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a good Monday.

Food was OP for me--I forgot what I'd planned (didn't look it up) and had pineapple instead of strawberries with dinner, but I still count it as a win. My big credit is that yesterday, I realized about 10:00 pm, that I could have had an ice cream treat--but it was late, and I hadn't been thinking about it--so didn't. Today, I knew I wouldn't have "room" for it--and don't feel deprived that I'm not having one!

My walking partner was off today, but I took my walks anyway.

My friend lost at Jeopardy today--it was a shame--but still cool to see him play.

Have a good night, all.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. There was a period of wanting something to eat, but it wasn't hunger - it was just wishing that I was doing something else. Remarkable decision to eat dinner on the patio despite it being a tad chilly - after a week of unbearable heat. I just refused to believe that it was cool; felt that I must be suffering a delusion from the drop in temperature from near 100 degrees F.

Not much exercise for reasons that aren't clear. I did take my walk, CREDIT moi, to include the library where I returned Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior. It was fun to fantasize about discovering a zillion Monarch Butterflies where they aren't expected; it was grueling to read about hard scrabble lives. I'm glad that the non-fiction world doesn't depend on me to exist, LOL.

onebyone – Hope you've made it back home to get your own life back. Yay for those rare long family discussions.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This is so unknown that it needs to be further disseminated, "you can have a visit without food" - seems like it's a violation of thermodynamics or something.

maryann - The writer should allow herself to describe "a true carnival of the absurd" as fiction - published under a pseudonym, of course.

nationalparker – Drooling over "turkey mozzarella bruschetta burgers" - Kudos for the no-buns part.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for skipping the ice cream treat just because you would have been allowed.

sparks17 – That's new on planet earth, a doctor weighing a person twice because the weight was so low - Congrats!

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

what are you thinking?
Are you having any sabotaging thoughts about giving yourself credit? Here are some typical ones, along with helpful responses. Create Response Cards for any you think apply to you. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: It feels too juvenile to praise myself.
Helpful Response: It's not foolish to praise myself; it's absolutely essential to building my confidence. I'll need confidence to get through the harder times.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 77.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #165  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My final pre-trip check in. Yesterday OP excepting several definite unnecessary bites at work. I ate a fish stick offered by my coworker. Not a deal breaker, for sure. My internet connection is not cooperating here but I'll check in from Minnesota.
Credit-we made the decision this morning to haul the vitamix in our carryon for our green smoothies. I always say it's the foundation of my plan so we'll just go the extra mile to bring it. I've already located the health food store in the area (open 8-8) so we'll stop for veggies/supplies as soon as we arrive. I made the (motel) reservation months ago and supposedly have the nicest kitchenette in the complex which means we should be good to go.

Take care everyone I'll be back!
Closed Thread