3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/284174-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-july-2013-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 07-10-2013 05:12 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Yesterday's emergency walk, CREDIT moi, was for milk for this morning's cereal. We're distracted around here because we have a contractor working on two window sills with rot that was missed when we had the house painted recently. Window sill rot challenges the best of carpenters since the job is to salvage as much as possible of a complicated piece of wood that's deeply embedded into everything. I saw blueberries at a good price but had to remember that I've got three pints uneaten in the fridge now.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, as I continue to feel that eating is a winter activity. My chuckle of the day came from an email that had the phrase 'coat chair' instead of 'co-chair'. My friend later told me she had dictated the email into her Mac's voice system. Now I feel like a troglodyte typing on this old-fashioned mechanical keyboard. Like I was still using punched cards, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Four small Kudos for four "Small Steps."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Three days of raspberry picking sounds like heaven. How do you control yourself from eating them by the quart?

maryann - Kudos for raising a kid so neat that he does his chores. Looking forward to hearing how ten days of belt tightening goes.

nationalparker – Yay for "NO CHIPS is my motto." Sound clear to me. I know that feeling of "Phooey" for each pound-ago that I didn't get under control.

Readers -
Quote:

day 4 Give Yourself Credit

it's all in your mind
Giving yourself credit just takes a moment, but it's essential in your weight loss efforts. To understand the importance of giving credit, consider these scenarios: . . .

Scenario 2
Peter is at the same restaurant. He, too, is tempted by the smell of the bread. His mouth starts to water, especially when he sees his friend eating the bread with gusto. After resisting for a while, he finally eats a slice. he then tells himself, Okay, so I gave in ... At least I resisted the breadbasket for 10 minutes ... I deserve credit for that ... The last time I tried to diet, I couldn't make myself wait at all ... And it's good I've eaten only one slice ... I'll make sure to eat just a quarter of the baked potato I ordered, instead of the half. Peter gets right back on track and stays within his calorie limit for the day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 75.

Tracey on a journey 07-10-2013 09:24 AM

Public Admission

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I've ever posted on the Internet and the first public committment I'm making to losing weight using the Beck Solution. I started reading the book last week and doing the first exercises including "Finding a Coach". I was very reluctant to do that but I've tried losing weight before and gained it back. I know how to diet and I even know how to eat healthily too - I just don't for all the reasons she lists in the book. Something has to change because doing the same old thing isn't working. Being accountable, learning from others who have advanced farther along the Solution and admitting to others that I'm fat and I don't want to be anymore, makes a lot of sense to me even if it's a little scary. Anyway, I'm joining you guys on the journey now. I hope you all have a good week. T.

nationalparker 07-10-2013 10:43 AM

I actually made an Ina Garten recipe for linguini al aglio e olio, with a few modifications and was able to completely fit it into my day's calorie plan. I wanted more than my serving when I'd finished it, but took a fresh tomato, added salt and enjoyed that. Credit! Actually savored it vs. just eating it. Felt good. Now my quest for a really good recipe for that has ended; Ina saved me :) DH really liked it, too.

Dropped off our dog for her surgery today and just got the call that all went well and she's in recovery now - phew.

Evening was uneventful with big things... small issues seemed to abound. Lunch scheduled with a coworker friend today; not sure where we'll go, but she's a bright spirit and good company, so I'm looking forward to that. Food is secondary. Would like to get my mind off the pooch.

Will post now and hopefully add personals later!

maryann 07-10-2013 11:52 AM

Good Morning, Coaches!

Welcome Tracy! I have found a tremendous amount of success posting on this site. My third year anniversary is coming up. Formerly, I was over 200 hundred pounds but could not lose the last twenty (13 years of trying.) Beck's methods helped. As you said, it is a powerful thing to tell the truth and be visible with your goals.

Lexxiss: What a huge success! Half of an omelet seems enough. My two "700 calories days" have been so successful because the meals are completely SIMPLE.

As for me: Weight at ticker! Thrilling to know I don't have to gain the usual five pounds on a vacation. Food OP except for some dastardly "wandering" while Imade a spare of the moment dinner change. Focus for today is to sit while eating.

gardenerjoy 07-10-2013 11:07 PM

I did my four Small Steps again today. I'm feeling some willingness to add a fifth, but I think I'll give it a day or two to let these settle and start to feel like habits again. So, I'm again committing to:
  • Eat only in my eating places
  • Eat only foods that serve me well
  • Eat only at my eating times
  • Eat only what I initially serve myself

Welcome, Tracey_on_a_journey! This is the place I found when I got to this point: "Something has to change because doing the same old thing isn't working." And it worked!

bethFromDayton 07-11-2013 12:07 AM

Food OP.even though 2 meals were at a hospital cafeteria and one from Wendy's. staying the night in DS's hospital room after her surgery this morning. She is recovering well.

BillBlueEyes 07-11-2013 05:45 AM

Welcome Tracey (Tracey on a journey)

:welcome: Tracey (Tracey on a journey) :welcome:

And, in honor of your first post, :wel3fc:

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find your way to this forum on 3 Fat Chicks?

BillBlueEyes 07-11-2013 05:48 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Today's the day I increment the counters in my signature, CREDIT moi. And two micro credits: When I sat down with DW on the patio with cold lemonade to discuss a neighborhood construction project (a topic with feelings) she offered me some tree nuts from her small serving dish; I declined without thinking. CREDIT moi - with an extra CREDIT moi for the "without thinking" part. Either it's the weather or it's my attempt to get past my free fall into tree nuts, but I'll take it either way.

The second came when we cut some chunks of cheese to set mouse traps for our annual visitor to the basement. One chunk too many was cut. So I reached out to scarf it down and . . . and . . . then decided not to. CREDIT moi for skipping only 10 calories of cheese, but skipping it because it wasn't part of my plan. (My Sabotaging Thought was, You are sitting down, you know. Yay for a brain that won't give up easily.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for charging forth slowly despite your success.

maryann - Yay for "completely SIMPLE" meals. I need the reminder that my body doesn't need a major event to meet its nutritional requirements. Congrats for completing your East Coast vacation without weight gain.

nationalparker – Garlic and olive oil do make pasta slide down so easily. Kudos for avoiding a second helping. Glad your dog's surgery went well.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Glad to hear she's recovering well. Kudos for staying OP despite the terrible food choices at the hospital.

Tracey (Tracey on a journey) - This is just the greatest starting awareness to be able to take advantage of the Beck strategies, "I know how to diet and I even know how to eat healthily too - I just don't for all the reasons she lists in the book." It's always been so annoying to me that I knew how to eat well - just didn't know how to do it.

Super Kudos for taking the big step of reaching out to find a Diet Coach. (I assume you're reading the Pink Book.) The group posting on this forum serve each other as Diet Coaches (Buddies in the Green Book). We'll be glad to serve that role with you and ask you to serve as Coach to us. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:

it's all in your mind
Giving yourself credit just takes a moment, but it's essential in your weight loss efforts. To understand the importance of giving credit, consider these scenarios:
. . .

. . . In the first scenario, Sue's self-critical thinking eroded her confidence, leading her to eat even more bread. In the second scenario, giving himself at least partial credit allowed Peter to regroup, start fresh, and stay within his diet.

nationalparker 07-11-2013 08:12 AM

Good day! I'm thankful the week is creeping closer to the weekend. Seemed like yesterday evening was a long one with the pooch pickup from the vet, which took quite a while with all of the instructions, etc. She was struggling a bit last night, so that was hard for me. Dinner was a new spread I made with cannelli beans, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice - added cilantro after trying it... and put the recipe in MFP and counted my portion, some pita chips, and a veggie salad. Was shocked that I was able to stay in my calorie range without a major plan yesterday, due to Q'doba's for lunch... I ate 2/3 of my portion of naked burrito and have the other third for today. Felt good about that. Credit for tracking everything in MFP yesterday, and for staying within my range. Despite a string of on-plan days, my scale is taunting me. I'm focusing on not getting frustrated. Yet.

Brought Beck's book in to work to read through more at lunch today - need reminders of some things and to write fresh response cards because I just have been NOT doing that step.

Yesterday evening at dinner I asked DH where he wanted to go for his 45th birthday next year - not ON his birthday, but we could save up for a trip to a locale that he alone chooses at a time that works for us/our jobs. The next thing I know, he's up and back in bed with the laptop at 12:30 a.m., saying he's not the least bit tired, and pricing Alaska cruises, Hawaii vacations, Machu Picchu trips, the works. I want only limited input on whatever he decides, but did say remember, we don't have years to save for this... I like that he is excited about it; his former relationship was one with zero travel. I believe Hawaii is out for the $, but he's enjoying the idea. I did subliminally suggest Florence, Italy, and will continue to do so. Merely for scientific testing purposes. :)

Welcome, Tracy! I missed welcoming you yesterday as I had the forum open and my note started forever before finishing/posting! Sorry about that :) I'm finding that the posts by others in this forum are reminding me of good ways to be accountable, realize how I can stay closer to plan and are good support. Looking forward to hearing what your main challenges are.

Bill - Good job with the automatic decline on the nuts! That's a major step. And credit to your DW for not pushing... I find myself going, "are you sure?" when DH declines something I know he enjoys. Why do I give that second opportunity for acceptance?

GardenerJoy - I like your four guideposts for eating and am going to adopt them for the day.

Maryann - Your success is exciting to me - I look at your ticker and go, I can do this!! :) Credits abound for the vacation without returning home with some tagalong pounds.

Beth - Good to hear that the surgery went well (and major credits for staying on plan with the stress of the whole day there)! How did your close friend do at the long fiesta - is she working at eating healthy, too?

maryann 07-11-2013 10:55 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP yesterday with a few substitutions. Forced myself to make my caesar salad rather than snack on my feet and then I enjoyed the salad. Sometimes I just have to force myself to make the healthy food and once that is done, I am fine.

Update on my $10 plus change for 10 day challenge. I stumbled into two free movie rentals from Redbox and then found an old store credit from Bestbuy to buy my son the computer game he earned for practicing music. Later I bought my son the ritual Subway sandwich for lesson day but I brought the drinks and side fruit from home so (drumroll, please) I still have $7.00 burning a hole in my pocket.

BBE: It isn't the calories, you are right. It is our insidious brains trying to regain control. My mother use to say, "Why sell your soul for a pencil?" Why break your plan for 10 calories? I think I will keep that in mind today.

nationalparker: Florence, italy is fantastic but super credit for planning to save up enough before you take your trip. The norm these days seems to be just put it on your credit card. I know I have to watch my spending habits. Sometimes they are an extension of my compulsive overeating. ( I tell myself "I am not overeating today so I can buy myself something.")

gardenerjoy: What do they say, "Slow and steady wins the race?"

bethfromDayton: credit for surviving hospital food— no pun intended.

sparks17 07-11-2013 05:08 PM

Computer is wonky again :( But I am ok. Staying on plan, even if it is the high end! Hope everyone is well. TTYL.

onebyone 07-11-2013 07:04 PM

Hello Thursday.

Good Afternoon Coaches

We moved today from my SIL's place into a university residence for the next 3 nights. I like it here. Two separate bedrooms sperated by a kitchen with microwave and full fridge. It's nice. We're onthe 5th floor and all I see are tree branches at the window. Like I said, nice.

I've been working a bit toward my art show. I have 9 small linoblocks carved for printing with my friend Shirley tomorrow in the rpint room I am member of. My goal is... to get them printed so they can be in my gallery show. Deadline is the first week of August. I've attached a jpg of one of the blocks, approx 3" x 3", of The Yip Yips of Sesame Street fame. My theme is monsters--and these guys were always great. I also have a very tender Frankenstein clutching at his heart.

Foodwise I am not doing too bad. I have had some off meals/ or parts of meals, but for the most part I am not disappointed in myself and I continue to strive to do better. It helps when we make the effort to cook from scratch but that's tough in another person's house who reminds you that you stunk the place up for days making that chicken curry-- makes me not want to cook at all. Now we only have a microwave and no plates, cups, bowls or cutlery. Luckily, my best friend lives two blocks over and not only has he left me a bike locked to his porch railing, that is mine to keep, that he cobbled together from other abandoned bikes + a bike for DH to use while we are here just in case we want to do that... he alos left the key to their apt available for us if we want to hang out inside. I will pat their fine cat and feed her and borrow some kitchen goods.

Anyway, that's my update. My stamina for standing watching bands in heat and humidity and crowds has grown. We didn't get to bed until 2:30 last night and I was up and out early to visit a friend and to meet her new baby Raphael (3 mos old and a very cheerful little guy!) and I just felt out of sorts this afternoon after we got here. Probably need more rest. But who wants to do that?

Have a good night.

:welcome:Tracey_on_a_Journey

bethFromDayton 07-11-2013 10:56 PM

Hi all,

DD is recovering from her jaw surgery--she's still a bit groggy from pain meds, but in good spirits. I've managed to not be tempted by the wide range of soft foods I got for her. She'll be on liquids/pureed food for the next month.

My food has been OP but I didn't exercise yesterday or today. I'm going back to work tomorrow, and BFF is here to stay with my daughter.

Hospital cafeteria food, surprisingly, was very good. I had a 'typical' breakfast--scrambled eggs, a couple of pieces of bacon, half a piece of french toast (no syrup or butter), and a banana. For lunch, there was a really nice very fresh salad bar and I made a lovely meal out of it making wise choices. I didn't have a sandwich, but the meat looked fresh and tasty. They even had signs telling how to make a low cal and a high cal salad out of the salad bar choices!

Lunch is all packed for tomorrow, and I feel good about being OP this week!

ETA: Now on mini-goal #8!

gardenerjoy 07-12-2013 12:28 AM

We went out for lunch and I ate the white bread with the salad without even thinking about it. So, still working on the habit to eat only the foods that serve me well. I'll do better next time -- it didn't add that much and I used to leave it so I'll get there again.

Tomorrow's challenge is an awkwardly timed cocktail hour. I always fantasize that we'll eat enough party food to call it dinner, but I've been around this game long enough to know that won't happen even if DH says he's on board. So, I'm going to skip the food, and the cocktail for that matter. I'll have club soda at the party and talk to people. We'll almost certainly go out for supper, so I'll save my calories for later. If for some reason we don't go out for supper, I'll have something similar to what I'd fix myself for lunch at home.

BillBlueEyes 07-12-2013 05:48 AM

Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did an evening walk with DW, CREDIT moi, even though rain threatened. (We put folded umbrellas in a backpack . . . duh!) The rain held off until we were done, which pleased me. It only sprinkled for a few minutes instead of a long, slow inch of wet which annoyed my gardener DW.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, despite the emotional task of having to deal with a city bureaucrat. Arrived anticipating my own image of a city employee. Instead, I encountered a bright, quick to see the big picture, guy who immediately made a phone call on my behalf and then . . . called me later in the day to let me know the results of his second phone call. My apologies to all city employees the world over for carrying my negative attitude about you guys. It only takes one guy like this to whack me upside the head with gratitude that there are folks who just get the job done.

onebyone – Yay for the smell of chicken curry that lingers for days - come cook at my house any time. Your university residence accommodations sound comfortable. Congrats for that growing stamina.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I, too, have been snookered by those "awkwardly timed" events. Your plan to avoid the food is admirable. I've found myself so annoyed that I'm eating food at 4pm when that's not my schedule and I know I'll be craving food later in the evening regardless of what I eat that early.

maryann - It's fun reading the saga of the $10. [Thanks for your mom's, "Why sell your soul for a pencil?"]

nationalparkerGarlic and olive oil do make cannellini beans slide down so easily. (Is there an echo in here?) Kudos for staying on plan with a day that includes pita chips - I find those guys easy to eat in large quantities. I like your DH's ideas for vacations. I vote Florence - beauty enough to bring tears to your eyes.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Glad to hear that your DD is on the mend. Kudos for recognizing that soft food isn't zero calories.

sparks17 – Ouch for a wonky computer. Mine is less wonky after getting rid of some ad-ware that was consuming resources keeping track of whatever it does in there.

Readers -
Quote:

. . . Start giving yourself credit today and continue to give yourself credit whenever you engage in a helpful eating behavior. For example, look at what you've achieved after just three days on this program. You deserve credit for:
  • Creating and reading your Advantages Response Card
  • Creating and reading other Response Cards
  • Investigating and choosing a primary diet and a backup diet
. . .