3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #106

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This came through via FB today.

Friday Weekend Warm-up: If you feel frustrated by the food pushers in your life, remember that you can’t control anyone else’s actions, you can only control your reactions. So it’s not their job to stop offering, it’s YOUR job to start saying no. This weekend, if someone tries to push food on you, practice saying no (over and over again if necessary!).

I got on the scale and it seems I've lost 3-5 pounds. It says I am at my ticker weight. I don't know if it's 'real'. I ate way extra when my son was in the hospital... so I don't know exactly where I was a week ago. Nevertheless - it's down. Heck of a way to get there. Time will tell. I will eat some steamed veggies today.

Have a great day.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-14-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #107
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I have a plan for today and I've emailed it to my Beck buddy. credit. Still feeling a bit numb about the car issue but recognize there are far larger problems in this world, too, especially with the wildfires here. I heard this morning 40,000 people are evacuated right now.

Thanks, BBE, for your daily posts. This morning you posted one of my favorites and also most helpful. This is not a temporary fix it is a healthy lifetime plan.

chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

.......Once I accept the fact that
I have to follow a healthy eating plan
......for life, dieting will be easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 69.

Beverlyjoy, thx, also for the Friday quote. It's always a great reminder for me because Sat. morning is when all the goodies come into work and everyone is pushing me to eat them.

onebyone, 100% OP yesterday! Kudos during such an emotional day!

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #108
on the wagon

S/C/G: 291/265/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default huh.

Coaches

Lest I jinx it, the sun it out today. It's still cool, but it's not raining. I will plan to get the garden in today. I'll plant the plants right after I drop DH off at work, then I'll do the seeds later.

I sent my assessment off into the void this morning. It's now in the email of my prospective counsellor who is to give me a more detailed on this afternoon. I guess they are assessing what/how/if they can help me. It is just Irony of the Highest Order that the scle presented an exact 250.0 this morning. This is *the* weight that vexes me. I go up and down and all around it but I have not been able to leave it behind for almost 2 years. However, just looking at it from last week's weigh-in, I am down 2.2lbs. Ok. good. *credit my body*

Oh Dh ready to go--better get ready too.

Will be back later.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #109
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I want to take the time when we return on Tuesday to catch up with most of the posts, but a quick minute here to say to OneByOne - wow - what a shock that must have been, and I hope you're able to focus on the assessments and good luck with your appointment. And Lexxiss - be safe and be careful out there. I keep hearing about the wildfires and the stories get scarier and the air quality must be horrid.

Bill - you're right; I think posting yesterday helped me in ordering a salad with grilled chicken for dinner with DH and friends as everyone else had yummier (Greasier is that what I still consider yummier?) things. Mine was super spicy and they forgot wonton strips and that saved me calories

Last day of work stuff here but schedule is extremely light, so I will take advantage of the time to read and relax. And hopefully make wiser meal and snack decisions from here on out.

So close ... now so far!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #110
on the wagon

S/C/G: 291/265/150

Height: 5' 6"

Post surprises

Coaches

I had my assessment appointment but it was a non-assessment and they don't actually have an eating disorders program right now. Apparently I was given misinformation and they tried to catch me but I was already gone. So I saw the assessment counsellor anyway and we had a therapy session basically and I asked her what kind of counselling she would recommend and she mentioned a kind and I thought "Huh. I think you are right." and so I have steps to take to pursue it. I discovered that i am both more aware and less aware. Strange mix.

I was also reminded that I really need to do more self-care, and to just simply put myself first more. I was waaaaaayyyyyy better at that 2 decades ago. Those boundary setting skills have eroded over time. I need to re-visit this bigtime. Especially if my mother will be living nearby. I have to do this or I will self-care via food. Not a choice I need or want to make. I can figure something else out. I am now on a singular quest to replace comfort food with other things/acts.

*credit for stepping on the scale. Saw 250.0 today a drop of 2.something lbs. This past week I have dropped 8lbs--all water. I continue to be a sponge.

I am off to bed. Getting up and out very early tomorrow for the market. Bye for now.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #111
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Fell into a neat random reward when on my walk (CREDIT moi) I dropped off a book at the library and discovered Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation, by Michael Pollen on the magic shelf of new books about to be returned somewhere that could be grabbed. It's easy to be a Michael Pollen fan, so I'll see where he's headed with this book. Library books have two great features: they must be read within a few weeks, and they go back instead of becoming clutter.

Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. It's in a rut. Perhaps I need to join a class to change my pace. The classes are juggled frequently - I don't see any right now that appeal in time slots available to me. Zumba seems out of my reach; the unwritten local rule is that you have to be female, young, lithe, and gorgeous. And wear matching outfits.

onebyone Terrific to pull this out of your visit, "I am now on a singular quest to replace comfort food with other things/acts." Boundary skills are a challenge.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Thanks for, "This is not a temporary fix" - like others, I find myself wishing that this phase was over.

Beverlyjoy Now that's an executable plan, "I will eat some steamed veggies today."

nationalparker LOL at "Greasier is that what I still consider yummier?" We don't give it up, do we.

sparks17 "Oh well. I can't have everything I want" - is so obvious to us in the other parts of our lives. Perhaps that's why we fight it in food. Kudos for wresting the Sabotaging Thoughts.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

If you always eat sitting down, you've mastered this important step. However, if you've struggled with your weight and dieted on and off for many years, my guess is that you probably do some eating while standing. You also probably have a tendency to rationalize or perhaps not even notice how much you've eaten. Opportunities to eat while standing up abound.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 70.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #112

Hi.... I feel like I am back to the living today. I still have 'heartburn' leftover from the stomach flu. It makes sense.

Yesterday I stayed with my plan which did include some fruit and cooked veggies along with my protein. I tried to eat some raw red pepper - not yet. The past few days I went back to my daily exercises (stretches & strengthening) Credit. I had lots of water too. I wrote it all down. I feel like I can get back into my Beck routine again - even with kind of bland food.

Billbe - I've never heard of that Pollen book. Let us know what you think. I agree about maybe taking a class at the gym for a change of pace. Carry on. (I long for the VW Bus days my self)

lexxiss/Debbie - I thought of you when watching the devastating fire in Colorado. I hope that they contain soon! I love what you said about this food stuff not being a temporary fix. That is such a good reminder. Thanks. Also - credit for good choices and WF.

sparks - I can so relate to this 'not fair' syndrome. Why do I have to write down a plan.... why can't I just eat. For me, it's because I know that any other approach doesn't give me any food sanity in the long run. Credit for meal planning and getting the food. Sometimes I think we go into all this food 'kicking and screaming'. - Credit because you are heading into the best direction. If you know what I mean. I am so sorry for your stresses.

onebyone - I am so sorry to hear of your friend's death. Credit for staying with you intentions.

beth - hope orientation goes well. Credit for waiting the 20 minutes.

maryann - have a good weekend. Credit for planning for some healthy foods.

Have a good day.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-15-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #113

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Beverlyjoy - Glad that you are just about back to normal! And I hope that your son is also doing well!

lexxiss - you are the only person I "know" in Colorado, so I think of you every time I see a new headline. Hope you and yours are safe and well.

nationalparker- Hope you were able to read and relax!

onebyone - it is great that the assessment was profitable, even if it was not what you expected!

Bill - I am laughing at the picture in my mind of you doing Zumba in a "matching outfit" -

My husband wanted to go for frozen yogurt yesterday. Thankfully, I had saved room for an evening snack so I just readjusted and ended the day higher in calories than I had planned, but not over my limit. But I felt - and still feel - yuck. Too much sugar. Too much dairy, maybe? But he is really into this new place...so I guess that I will be having some practice this summer with moderation and ordering less and leaving some on my plate (in the bowl?!). Probably good for me. I guess.

Goal 1 - 25 pounds (10%) lost = 221 pounds
Goal 2 - 22 pounds (10%) lost = 199 pounds
Goal 3 - 20 pounds (10%) lost = 179 pounds

Last edited by sparks17; 06-15-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #114
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

We had a party tonight--ate too many brownies. And an unplanned snack this morning. And I didn't record anything today.

Tomorrow I will be back on track--it is easier to stay on track than get back on track--I still haven't really recovered from last weekend--I did okay Mon breakfast-Friday lunch, but by Friday dinner, out of my "normal zone" eating in the college cafeteria, I was off plan again.

I think I need to start reading Beck chapters again--I've been slacking off.

I did get plenty of walking in this weekend--too much, actually. By the time we finished up Friday evening I could have used a golf cart ride to the hall where I was staying--my foot was done for. I'll probably limit my walking tomorrow to minimal time.

Good night, all.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #115
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Father's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies Once again, I helped to fix an older toilet with a flapper that seats poorly. What an uninteresting issue - except that failing to seat leaks water continuously. The fix words sufficiently; the dribble stops, albeit more slowly than wished. New toilets aren't that expensive and can be installed by a handyman but they are color matched with the sink and tub and the color is dated. Congratulations to the genius who invented bathroom fixtures that aren't white so as to require a full bathroom remodeling ($$$) in order to change a toilet.

Dinner was a vegetarian takeout plate from a Greek place. CREDIT moi for a healthy dinner and a fine walk there and back.

Beverlyjoy Welcome "back to the living." Glad the flu is moving on.

Beth (bethFromDayton) Seems like a challenge to both exercise that foot and honor its slow healing. Kudos for working on that.

sparks17 Ouch for a favorite frozen yogurt place. The only good part is that our places are sold by the ounce - so a bit of planning and restraint allows purchase of a tiny size. Let us know when you discover how to do that, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

. . . Do you do any of the following?
  • Take free samples of food at the grocery store.
  • Taste food as you prepare meals.
  • Sneak bits of food from someone's plate as you clear the table.
. . . . . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 70.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #116
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

Happy Fathers Day, BBE! I always enjoy your "dad" stories around here. Your kids hit the jackpot and I think they're old enough now to know it. Kudos.

Yesterday was my super early day at work which meant I got to run way the heck down to a section that's only open on the weekend. It's great exercise but can be frustrating....like when you forget the guy wanted bleu cheese to put on top of his cottage cheese??? Maybe I forgot because they don't seem to go together in my food brain. I met some nice people who commented on my ability to go back and forth without much effort. Credit moi.

Food was OK. I didn't eat at work because there isn't time....I had my coworker make me a "healthy" breakfast burrito, which is a step in the right direction. It was bigger than the 1/2 I had ordered so I had part as "late lunch" and part as dinner. It still made me feel like I was doing something wrong...my brain, I guess. Scale was fine this morning so I guess even the extra salt wasn't a big deal.

A day off I need to go find coffee. I wanted to check in before the travelers start clogging up my internet.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #117
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Default Weekend Report

Weekend greetings!

OP yesterday, suddenly struggling today. Yet another stressor has appeared in the form of "in-law drama". Honestly, just when I thought I'd get a quiet Sunday afternoon to get ready for next week. The way things have been going, I'm wondering if there's sunspots or a full moon or some such!

Stayin on the board!

spankx
Finally: 120 lbs ?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #118

Hi Beckies! Yesterday was a real food day. I am grateful for that. I had a plan/measured/logged my food, did my exercises, had no seconds, left a bite and said NO CHOICE to DH's honey roasted cashews, Werther's candy & Breyers Ice Cream. DH said to me: "I've had enough ice cream you can put your dish soap on the rest, like you sometimes do."

Now that I have a real food healthy food day, it's time to start working on the important parts of the program. This includes my journalling, reading the arc/rc/beck, etc..

Some friends came over this morning and helped by clean out a garden. They filled up their cars with plants to be shared all over the place. My gardener's creed: Enjoy and share. We will eventually clean it out and plant grass except the small bed of tall grass, maybe, as a delineation for our property.

Tonight's Father's Day dinner is steak, corn and salad. Sounds good to me!

national parker
- I hope you are having a good trip.

billbe - yum on a healthy veg. Greek dinner and a walk. Yes - I remember those colors from the fifties for bathroom fixtures. My aunt had pink as I recall. Also, Happy Father's Day.

spanky - kudos on your OP yesterday. Phooey on your struggles today. I hear you on the moon stuff, LOL.

lexxiss/debbie - so nice to get a positive comment from a customer at work - especially for the way to maneuver around. I totally understand how something too big can make the whole day seem off, food wise. I hope things are improving in the fires going on. It's heartbreaking.

Have a great day, folks

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #119
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

A quick-before work-check in. I've weighed and planned today's food. I've emailed my food plan to my Beck buddy. credit. Yesterday included an extra snack yet I'm still calling it a win since I'm by myself and my mind occasionally wanders to that spot of thinking about what I could eat because no one else is around. For me, it's a success to say no to those sabotaging thoughts.

Happy Monday, all!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #120

Hi Beckfolks,

This came through my FB this morning from Beck.

"If, after you lose weight, you think, “I’d like to lose a little more but I don’t think I can eat less or exercise more,” ask yourself: would my life really be so different if I were a few pounds lighter? Yes, I’d like it, but it’s likely I’d have to work so hard to stay there that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it anyway. In the scheme of things, your life probably won’t be drastically improved if you lose a few more pounds, so instead of thinking about where you’d like to be, think about how much better your life is where you are now.

I will be back later.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

Closed Thread