3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #166

S/C/G: 173/ 164/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Booked our lunch cruise of Lake Champlain in Vermont for Thursday. Hope the thunderstorms and mugginess decide to take a vacation. We west coasters have rather high weather expectations. Also planning on visiting the Shelburne museum which I guess is terrific. I am anxious to see the quilts but I suspect my time will be brief as DS and DH would rather see the grass grow than study textiles.

Yesterday was OP until after dinner. I could not close the kitchen. Still weight is at ticker and hopefully slides a little further before I leave. Credit for food planned in my fit. Barefoot Contessa's tomato soup is already made in the frig for dinner.

onebyone and nationalparker: I completely agree the psychology of numbers is baffling. I was steady at 155 last year but now I keep retreating to 160, lose some and then relax back up. I have to remember that the secrets to my success before were Beck's simplest skills - sitting down while I ate and planning/ cooking my food in advanced. When I ignore those, I plateau. Food plan changes mid day NEVER workout for me.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #167
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I'm starting my organizing for our vacation--including the 4 day party. I'd started a post about it: Controlling myself at parties

I also started create a response card for myself:
Quote:
Control myself at parties
• Having a treat can’t mean eating treats non-stop
• One plate of treats per evening—that’s all I need or want
• I will feel better if I eat less
• I can’t reach the weight goals I want to reach if I don’t control myself in the Hospitality Suite
• I stopped eating sweets at work. I can stop overeating at parties.
• I control what I eat—and I choose to eat one time and then stop
Today was a good food day and a good exercise day. The negative is that I wasn't feeling well this afternoon so skipped my afternoon snack. However, tonight's dinner wasn't very protein rich, so I added on a piece of cheese after dinner to up my protein. I was still hungry (skipping my afternoon snack is not a good idea for me), so told myself I could have a snack later in the evening if I still wanted it. I did, only in terms of wanting to eat, but not in terms of being hungry, so I didn't have one.

If anyone has any bullets to add to my response card about overeating at parties--about not binging at parties, since that's all I can call it, please weigh in on that thread or here.

Take care, all!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #168
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Got a good sweat walking to the gym, LOL. It was a muggy day, but loved the sunshine. My walk included stopping by an upscale grocery store just to see what was new. Unfortunately, a FREE blueberry coffee cake sample popped into my mouth - Ouch. But, I counted it as afternoon snack leaving only unplanned and eating-while-standing as issues. CREDIT moi for sweating whether in the gym or out.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. I continue to pop blueberries like an addictive substance. I've added our garden fresh sugar snaps to my snack and meals. It was too hot to cook so dinner on the patio consisted of cold left overs which felt just right.

onebyone – Perhaps a Response Card that doesn't kick in until your goal of 241.5 pounds. Maybe a desired item of clothing. Or perhaps a reward that you particularly desire. It does seem like a good idea to seek some Response Cards to help.

Beverlyjoy – Thanks for, “Do I want one cause of my bad mood, or two?” I so forget that.

maryann - hmmmm . . . "high weather expectations" in New England might be a problem, LOL. Perhaps, high weather better describes climate here. Kinda hard for me to believe that there's actually a museum full of quilts. Kudos for weight that remains at ticker.

nationalparker – Love, love the notion of getting a prescription from your librarian. Perhaps Joy (gardenerjoy) can write you one since she's card-carrying, certified. Kudos for recognizing that the lawn mowing is causing resentment so that you can figure out a solution.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – I particularly like, "Having a treat can’t mean eating treats non-stop" - it's a challenge for me to avoid the slippery slope of non-stop nibbling.

sparks17 – Well put, "Everything in life is a trade-off, I think." Maybe so for your planning. If you've found a level that you can follow that allows you to turn down stuff off-plan, maybe you're at your right level. The final parts of Beck's Pink Book talks about planning during maintenance. You might be at that level. And Congrats on those three pounds gone forever.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

.....Since you'll be eating less food,
it's important for you to see all of it spread
...in front of you at meal or snack time

..so you can be more visually satisfied.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 71.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #169

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

onebyone - I second nationalparker's advice - consciously setting a goal under 250 sounds like it will work!

nationalparker -There is this book that you may find helpful and they probably have it at the library - It's Not You, It's the Dishes (originally published as Spousonomics). I thought it was great!

Beverlyjoy - I follow Beck on FB too - it is always a little burst of encouragement!

maryann - I looked up that museum and I don't know which seems more wonderful - the collection or the buildings!! I hope that you can find something to keep your menfolk occupied so you can really enjoy your visit!

Beth - I am copying your response card! I don't go to that many parties, but I always always overeat at them...

Bill - Garden fresh sugarsnaps - oh my. You have me thinking...this coming Saturday is he last morning of soccer so I will be free for the next few months on Saturday mornings....I want to plan to hit a farmer's market asap!

I ate too little yesterday and I was SOOO HUNGRY at around 10 pm. But I sucked it up and planned a big delicious breakfast for this morning. It was very very very hard not to have seconds. But I told myself that I could have more of the same for lunch, if I wanted it, which really helped. There was a post about this on the Beck FB page last week -

Quote:
Sometimes, when eating something they really like, dieters get into what we call the “Last Meal Mentality,” where they think they need to eat as much of it as they can right then. It’s important to remember that it’s not your last meal, and if it’s something you like, you can ALWAYS have it again.
I am planning to do some card-making this afternoon, and that is going to be one of them!!

Goal 1 - 25 pounds (10%) lost = 221 pounds
Goal 2 - 22 pounds (10%) lost = 199 pounds
Goal 3 - 20 pounds (10%) lost = 179 pounds
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #170
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Hello! This week seems to be slowly moving along, and I'm excited for the weekend (only to get more things done that I want to in the yard/house, nothing thrilling planned). A very small playhouse about 40 minutes from me is presenting Hallelujah Girls and I'd like to go see that on Friday night. DH is working. I'll see if I can swing that - it's community theatre, which I do enjoy for little more than the cost of a movie ticket, and it supports efforts locally.

DH did great on a test for accreditation at his work, so I suggested we go celebrate at one of his favorite spots - Texas Roadhouse. I ate my salad and baked potato and brought the entree (roasted chicken) home. Then started prepping the turkey to get it baking and it finished up at midnight. So, while he's working nights now, we'll have ample options for meals and sandwiches and salads. And I now have freezer space for ice in the dead of summer

I'm struggling lately. I want to keep eating, not for pleasure, it doesn't even have to taste good ... with just wanting something about it - the comfort? The familiarity? I looked back to see when I really started getting off track (early May) and that completely coincides with stress at work in turnover of higher-ups and what that means for everyone else. My direct boss is retiring and new one was just selected and that's a new stressful situation. Now I'm coming home from work and greeting pets and opening the fridge in one motion. Activity other than yardwork and housework has been nil. I want to add in more relaxing reading and get restarted with yoga. I want to get out walking my dog when it's cool (early or late) more. I'm going to journal tonight, pull out the Beck book. I think I need to visually see what I "want" to do and figure out what I'm doing instead of that. We don't turn the tv on and sit and watch tv in the evenings - that's not the time suck. I need to figure this out. I feel like I'm just floating along and not digging in and stopping myself and making the changes I want to see. Or the changes I SAY I want to see!

Suggestions? I'm struggling with the fact that when I AM successful, I open my dang big mouth and say to DH that I've dropped 10, 12, whatever pounds. Then he says he loves me as I am and stop worrying about it. He's gaining weight solidly this year, as well, and he said he worried that I was judging him as strongly as I judge myself. No, that's not the case, but I do know we'd both be more comfortable with 20 pounds off. I do NOT want to face diabetes and it's prevlent in my family. That is a concern, but it's also vanity - I don't like walking into a meeting room and being the heaviest woman in there. I want to wear clothes I have that don't fit. I want the sexy lingerie, etc. The connection between the wants and me following through and doing what I know I need to do to GET there is not firing. Thanks for plodding through this, if any brave souls did I'm sorry. I had to come clean and will make today the best I can make it, plan and follow-through-wise.

So close ... now so far!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #171

S/C/G: 173/ 164/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A very exciting day. I changed my ticker down another pound. Whoooop! I usually change it on the first of each month but I will be traveling till the 5th of July. So today is the day. Mond and Tuesday are my 700 calorie days. I practiced a LOT of resistance and ended the day with a big bowl of Romaine lettuce, chickpeas and 1 T. Ceasar dressing. The old me kept trying to say "that is not enough. You'll damage yourself." The truth is I do far more damage NOT eating a big bowl of greens. My diet book Eat to Live is very insistent on the fact we overeat because we are nutritionally bankrupt. There was many a day on Weight Watchers when I ate four Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches instead of lunch and dinner. My mind never warned me "you can't eat that, you'll damage yourself!" Hmmm. Suspicious.

Credit for overriding my insidious food addiction and feeling really healthy this morning. Food is planned -- a healthy 1600 calories. Pilates is planned. DS is going to the barber for the big flight tonight.

nationalparker: Credit for the insight into how your routine has changed. It is so true that once I let exercise slide, my world starts to spiral. Weight loss, as much as I hate to admit it, is simply cause and effect not magic. But I want it to be magic because then I don't have to take responsibility for it and maybe I will wake up one day thin. This journey is so tough.

Bethfromdayton: I like your party strategies. I really want to know how you do. Parties are my NUMBER ONE resistance buster. I have had one breakthrough understanding. I am uncomfortable around a lot of people. I start "performing" then I get really hungry because I am not being true to myself.

BBE: Yey for cold dinners being completely enough.

Sparks: I tried the same resistance technique yesterday. I told myself that I would have a nice big breakfast in the morning. Then I looked at the clock and pondered how long it would take my craving to go away; it was not more than an hour.

Last edited by maryann; 06-26-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #172
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!
I was up really early this morning but have filled every minute so far. I think Kirk and I both had our first cup of coffee at 2:30 am then made a plan for these next few days. I have a coworker who is leaving tomorrow to take her mother-in-law to a cancer treatment center in Phoenix. I'm going to need to fill in on Sunday and next Wednesday-5 days in a row...then right into 4th of July weekend. My boss doesn't have a plan yet for that. There is a very small possibility that my coworker will come back. I think those chances are pretty slim though.

So I'm sitting outside my moms eye treatment center in East Denver and Kirk went all the way over the hill to our other house in Glenwood Springs he'll be poolside by himself this week. That works okay for me actually I'm going to have a few relaxing days by myself and work on wedding flowers as we got Kirks daughters car back to her last evening.
I've been staying on plan and getting in my extra at home exercise in addition to work. Credit.
This iPhone has sure been handy. it's allowed me to check in from places that I never used to be able to before.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #173
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including mounds of blueberries for snacks. Lunch was late because we . . . finally . . . bought a new car for DW. The one she's driving is 14 years old so it's not like she's over doing it. Dealing with car dealers is one of life's most unpleasant chores. It's not just the shading of the facts, but the constant stream of chatter to 'bond' that tires the whole brain. But I didn't eat about it, so CREDIT moi again.

My walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the magic ATM for cash. Around here, gasoline costs about five cents per gallon less for cash and filling up the car takes a wad of it. And a stop at the store that creates cut-to-size window shades to pick up a pair we'd ordered to replace two that were frayed beyond acceptability. For some reason, no window in our house fits the inexpensive ones from Home Depot.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for success with your DD's car. Hope you can continue to keep your path despite the extra busy.

maryann - Interesting thought that "we overeat because we are nutritionally bankrupt." I have noticed that the food that just slides down is the processed stuff with no nutrition.

nationalparker – LOL at the cascaded events of roasting a turkey so you can have summer ice. I recently enjoyed a community theater production that would be declared mediocre except that I knew the actors and roared laughing at all the local humor - so I loved it. Ouch for the marital dynamics. It is hard to talk about weight loss and not have our SO feel judged. Kudos for working on the communication about this.

sparks17 – Kudos for tolerating "SOOO HUNGRY" without falling into the “Last Meal Mentality.”

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

....When you eat standing up, you might feel physically as full as if you had eaten sitting down, but you don't feel as psychologically satisfied. Tasting, chewing, and swallowing food gives you a certain degree of satisfaction, but you also need visual satisfaction. You have to make the most of every bite.

Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #174

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

maryann -
Quote:
There was many a day on Weight Watchers when I ate four Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches instead of lunch and dinner. My mind never warned me "you can't eat that, you'll damage yourself!"
Oh, I can relate to this! I find that it is a struggle to pay attention to both the quantity and quality of my food...When I ate low-carb, I often overate. When I was on WW, I often ate junk that fit in to my points range. Now I am trying to plan for both..so difficult! And it is true that eaing too little is a warning sign to some part of me that does not notice when I am eating too much!!

lexxiss
- what kind of work do you do? Obviously, one person being out makes a big difference!

Bill - we only have one car and I don't drive it - I don't even have my license. If I did...well, I would be a lot bigger, as I would not walk as much as I do!

nationalparker - How was the turkey?

I did not do as well yesterday...sigh. My daughter made a no-bake cheesecake with fruit on top. I had an unplanned piece and then I was like a carb addict. Not that I had more of the cake, but I overdid the carbs at dinner and ate so much that I felt too full. Not as much as I used to, but more than I am comfortable with now! I think I need to start memorizing a few of the biggest sabotaging thoughts so they will be RIGHT THERE in my head, kwim?

Today we are going to see the new Monsters Inc movie and probably stopping for fast food on the way home. Plan is...I have no plan that I like yet. Eat there but plan ahead and restrain myself is the best one but I wish it were easier!!!

Goal 1 - 25 pounds (10%) lost = 221 pounds
Goal 2 - 22 pounds (10%) lost = 199 pounds
Goal 3 - 20 pounds (10%) lost = 179 pounds
Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #175
Enjoying la bella vita

In a better frame of mind this morning. I think the evening to just "be" alone was helpful. I say alone -with a needy dog and three cats that cannot be together at the same time, so attention is spread out and in different areas of the home. Came home and wanted to EAT ... ended up using up the last third of a chinese dinner that was 90% veggies and felt good about it - saving it from the trash and getting in the vegs, but also added in some of the small sweet potato casserole I made to go along with the turkey. It used two sweet potatoes and I hope we'll get about 8 smallish servings from it. Today I try the turkey brought a sandwich for lunch. Challenge today at work will be the reception for my boss who is retiring - reception with cake and cookies.

Hauled out my long-lost journal last night - one I really like - but never take the time to journal. I wrote down my thoughts and what I want to bring back into my life, what I need to choose to make time for, etc., and it was time well-spent.

I checked out the book that you recommended, Sparks17, and spent an hour reading it last night and it's helpful to look at chores/errands that way and not 50-50. Lately I've been trying to really SEE what the other things are that are getting done and to see my messes as well (not hard to do) ... Also - we went to see Monsters University on the weekend and I thought it was so clever. I'd not seen a Disney movie in decades and didn't know there was another earlier one, etc. But I liked the creatitivity in the college campus.

Maryann - Congrats on moving your ticker DOWN and early!! Kudos!! Can I ask you when you started at 173? I'm feeling like I'm "stuck" in the lower 170s due to my poor choices and seeing how you're doing is very inspirational as you're on the track I want to be on.

Bill - Have you seen The Kings of Summer? I would like your opinion if you have... With DH working nights, though, we might have to hit the 9:40 showing one night and i'll be wiped out the next morning. I tend to miss many movies that I think look good, and then forget about them when they're out on DVD. I wanted to see The Angels' Share and missed that... I want to see Before Midnight for the scenery of Greece, too. I need to use that as a reward!

Lexxiss - Sounds like you have a Busy summer with a capital B on both the work and personal front. Enjoy your time to relax!

Beth - Enjoy your time with friends and family! Your plan sounds like a great one, you are planning to succeed! Maybe look at a "before" picture of yourself that you might not particularly care for and bring it in your purse to see how far your wise choices and limiting the extra calories have brought you.

So close ... now so far!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #176
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food and exercise were OP today--credit. Now that I'm exercising again, I even could consider bringing ice cream treats back in the house, but I'll wait a while longer before I do.

We're leaving for our vacation on Saturday and I'm going crazy trying to get everything ready. I'm bringing my computer, but not a printer, and so I need to have all the printed stuff for the hospitality suite ready before I go. I'm feeling a bit frazzled--and wishing I hadn't told DD I'd go with her to a play tomorrow night!

Oh well--DS says sleep is for the weak and sickly--I can't say I agree, but fortunately, I can sleep on the plane Saturday (I hope).

I'm going to print out a new set of response cards tomorrow and bring them with me. They're all on my phone, but I think it'll help me to have a few scattered around the prep area of the Hospitality Suite!

I think I'll be okay on the pre-Hospitality Suite travel days, even though we'll be eating out every meal. My family will be okay with staying away from buffets (which I have so much trouble with), and DD the younger is really good about gently reminding me when I order about what I said I was going to do. I may eat breakfast 3 meals a day--I'm really good about staying OP for breakfast meals!

There won't be any home baked goodies at this event, so I know that everything we serve I'll be able to eat again some other time--there won't be any "this time only" items in the Hospitality Suite.

I've also planned some healthy and not-snacky options--lots of veggies, hummus as well as sour cream dip, a fruit bowl, cheese, crackers, and summer sausage. There will be chips and candy--but I can and will limit myself.

I'll have my computer as well as my phone, so I'll probably check in here every day--I think it'll keep me on track better to know that I'm reporting how I did every day, and knowing that all of you are rooting for me!

Take care, all.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #177
Enjoying la bella vita

Great idea to realize that any of the food items you'll be able to get again, Beth! Good luck - it sounds like a true food-fest. Are there games and other things that go on during these get-togethers?

Have really enjoyed a relaxing evening here - got some household chores done, puttered on the patio repotting a few things and cleaning up and enjoying a gorgeous late sunset. Fireflies are so entertaining to me; I never grew up with those in Florida or in Europe. Rearranged a bit on our patio. We're having DH's folks over on Sunday for their anniversary and taking them out to a nice restaurant on a reservoir, then dessert back here. need to find a recipe that is diabetes friendly for them ... And have a ton of housework to do - the monthly stuff never got done this month - the deeper cleaning

Now I see that another movie, Love Is All You Need, set in Sorrento, is out. By golly, I want to see that one, too ... DH says I'm the only one he knows who will choose a movie based on it's setting. You betcha, if it's a place I love. We don't hit many movies and to have several out now that i do want to see is $$$ and a commitment of time. I said I'd go to a matinee on Saturday while he's sleeping if he wasn't interested...but apparently he IS interested, lol.

Trying to check in often and stay accountable. Today was mostly on plan. Not entirely ... Friday will be better!

So close ... now so far!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #178
on the wagon

S/C/G: 291/265/150

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation more and more and evermore

Coaches

Hello. I think this week is making up for the MONTHS spent languishing in the neverland of not being able to make anything. Wow. I have spent 4 of the last 5 days focused on the guild sign. Today we are almost done one of the 2 mosaics. At least we are done attaching the shards to the backing board. I suspect true completion won't happen until I come back from holidays. I hope not but maybe. I've attached jpgs of it as it stands. On Sunday that was just and empty wooden board. And all that mosaic was done between the hours of 9 and 3:30 today.

Foodwise. I totally forgot I was supposed to be following the South Beach Diet. Hello nurse. So after being reminded of this by my coach I am going to set an appt with myself to sit down and read about SBD once more and write out the guidelines for phase two. She committed to sticking to a plan for 6 months, no deviations, and seeing where this took her. She ditched the BP meds and lost weight is where it went.

Thank you all for the suggestions about my 250 number drama. I will take it to heart.

And also, more sad news in the artist-friend category for me. Another printmaker, who was fantastic and should have been working into old age, has slipped into a coma today. She was fighting breast cancer for a few years and I had heard it spread to her brain a month or so ago. She sent me a very thoughtful facebook message a few weeks ago. She is expected to die soon. This is now artist-friend #3 plus my beloved Looloo cat, all dead this year. I am about done with this sort of thing... I have to say, it is supremely motivating to get that mosaic sign up and out there. The other sign stood for 30 years. May this one reign at least as long.

Have a good night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg endofdaywholething.jpg (39.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg panel2t.jpg (39.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 06-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #179
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was as close to plan as possible. Mom and I ended up at the little mexican restaurant in Denver and I reminded myself that the last time I just didn't enjoy my old favorite anymore. I ordered a small and satisfying "one cheese and onion enchilada heavy on onions light on cheese extra sauce with lots of lettuce and tomato." It worked for me. Tasty, small and on the low end of calorie choices. Credit. I've really been focusing lately on "smaller portions" instead of bulking up on giant salads, etc. I believe that it's essential for me to embrace this new mindset right now. It's been a few weeks now and I have to say it feels ok. Oh, major success last night at a meeting-not one stale cookie was consumed. Credit. I've been getting in my home exercise every day calling it my "metabolism booster" That reminds me it's best done in the morning before I head out for the day.

BBE,yay for a successful food day which included buying a new car. I'd have to agree on the whole dealership thing...not a pleasant chore.

MaryAnn, kudos for your ticker moving down and for a great plan for your travels. Safe travels and happy memories in the making!

sparks17, sweets seem to be the most effective food in kick my carb addict brain back into gear. Recognizing it is a giant step forward. Kudos for working on both quality and quantity of food. DH and I are semi retired...down from Alaska to help care for my mom. I took a part time waitress job, which ends up being closer to full time….Waitressing was one of my first jobs in life and I enjoy the social interaction as well as the endless running. I love being out doing something I wasn't capable of at my high weight.

nationalparker, I'm glad your alone time helped. Yay for using that time to pull out your old journal and doing some updating in it.

Beth(fromDayton), I enjoyed reading all your advance planning for your trip. It's such a strategy for success! Credit.

onebyone, love the mosaic! Yay for making an appointment with your SBD book for a review. I'm reminded of when you were trusting the WW scientists….time to swich your brain over to the SBD scientists.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #180
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At gym, CREDIT moi, I found amusement by hunting down the missing 50# dumbbells and returning them to their proper locations - whatever keeps me coming back.

Events kept me busy around noon with only a vending machine in sight for lunch. So, CREDIT moi, I decided to skip lunch to do the Hunger is Not an Emergency demo again. After about an hour, I completely forgot about eating and continued with my day. Around 3pm I had the opportunity to eat lunch but felt no hunger whatsoever. So I had some garden fresh sugar snacks for afternoon snack. Was concerned that I'd overcompensate at dinner, so I deliberately served myself (from a buffet) a plate where the food didn't touch. That worked, although I followed my friend to get some homemade cobbler for dessert - but didn't fall for the Sabotaging Thought, Since you're having dessert, might as well make the most of it. I need more days like this in my life.

onebyone – Yay for the burst of productivity. Love the sign made from chards. Kudos for setting an appointment with yourself to get the South Beach on track.

nationalparker – Leftover turkey sandwich is the best lunch ever. Good luck with the office party food - wish someone would retire with platters of healthy food someday. [The Kings of Summer looks interesting - haven't seen it yet. Since I've fed a teenage boy and his friends, I'm skeptical that such creatures can live "off the land."]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for planning carefully for the time in the Hospitality Suite. I ignored a bowl of mixed nuts last night and wore a happy halo around the entire evening.

sparks17 – Ouch for carbs calling. I'd have had a hard time with my DD's "no-bake cheesecake with fruit on top." [Odd thing about the huge 'teenager' surcharge on automobile insurance: it isn't related to teenagers, it's related to the first five years of having a driving license! If one gets their driving license at 30, they'll still pay the surcharge. If one gets their driver's license at 30, then doesn't drive for five years and doesn't pay for insurance, the surcharge wouldn't apply when they do get put on the auto insurance. Weird practice to reward having a driver's license without driving.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

....Many of the dieters I've counseled have told me that learning to eat only when seated was key to their success at losing weight and maintaining the loss. It was crucial to my own success - it also was one of the hardest skills to incorporate into my life. I had a tough time with it in the beginning, but now I eat almost everything sitting down, except for a few raw vegetables that I plan to eat while I prepare dinner. (No one is perfect!) Every time I slip back into the habit of eating standing up, I invariably gain weight.

Closed Thread