Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - April Fools Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Just splendid walking (CREDIT moi) in the sunshine. Apparently, I need convincing each year that the earth continues to rotate around the sun to change the seasons. DW showed me the buds on the Red Oak that we planted two years and eighteen inches ago. Growth happens. Chatted with a neighbor over her vast lawn of volunteer crocuses - as I stood outside without a jacket.

The big deal was standing down an hour of the opening of an art exhibit with heaps and heaps of food. I had planned to eat exactly nothing in recognition of my recent journeys into bowls of whatever. There was plenty to choose nothing from. And I did exactly that! CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi. I did learn from the sculpturer how to make a hollow weathervane from sheet copper. I so want a folk art weathervane on my house. The rest of the day was easily on-plan after spurred by that success right down to the half-grapefruit for evening snack. It feels so good all over to be fully in the game.

onebyone – Yep, "moving on" is the way forward. Thanks for mentioning ham. I just bought a ten pound one for dinner with the kids and their SO's in two weeks. I find myself thinking about how much I love to serve heaps of ham instead of how much I love to eat a modest portion of really good ham. Old thinking is still in there in need of being ignored.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hope you review French Women Don't Get Fat for us. My fantasy is that I can read it then have all the baguettes, chocolate, and cheese that I want, LOL. Kudos for mindfully pondering the best diet plan for yourself. LOL at cancelling all the books for South Beach in the sentence before "wishing for a beach."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Love the eye witness view of the animal crackers disappearing under the coffee grounds. Kudos for your proactive step there. I hate any fat around my middle, but double, double hate remembering that it came from stuff as silly as animal crackers.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, "it would get hard at times." We're here to march forth with your restart. Grab April, a "Deep breath," and go.

Rosebud170 – This thought strikes me, "It is amazing how satisfied I can feel when I choose wisely and slow down and enjoy/taste what I am eating" - Kudos for that awareness.

Liz (lizagna) – It's moving to see you walking beside your friend with a shaved head. Kudos for having the courage to make choices. Love the story of making an appointment to hang the art work - champagne and all. [I'm content with those new ARC's for now; more may follow.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

...You'll use Cognitive Therapy
techniques to prepare your mind and
.....environment for dieting.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 53.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default New day,new month, new thread! No foolin'!

Wooohooo! Happy to be here. Good morning, Coaches.

More later.

xo
Liz
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5΄7

Hello there Buddies/Coaches,

I decided to start SBD early on Saturday. In the morning my brain went like "oh come on - who starts a new diet before Eastern (even though I was not invited to any Easter Party and didn΄t get any candy - my family doesn΄t live here)", "the first of April would be so much better" and "you could go and get lots of ice cream and enjoy the last weekend in freedom before eating chicken and salad on most days".

I felt like a junkie and was ready to drive to the store. Then a sentence I posted here came into my mind. It pretty much said that deciding NOT to eat can relieve tension as well. And it did!

I was OP the whole weekend and lost 2kg in 2 days. I cannot even tell you how happy I am. Back to the beach - 12 days to go until Phase 2 and my oatmeal.

Hope you guys have a great week!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks.

This came through on my Facebook newsfeed today from the Beck Diet Solution.

Monday Motivation: We asked one dieter: What’s one advantage you’ve gotten from losing weight? She said, “Now, when I hear about an event coming up, my first thought isn’t, ‘I need to lose weight before that’ and ‘Oh no, what will I wear?’ Now, my first thought is, ‘that sounds great, I can’t wait!’” Now you: What is one of your advantages?

It's been a tough weekend for me. I'll be back later.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

I thought I ate okay yesterday, but woke up feeling ill this morning. Might have been the wine. I sometimes have a bad reaction to wine. Or it might be the maple trees blooming, dehydration, or any number of other things. Hoping it gets better soon. I won't be eating over it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A quick post before headed to our last pool experience before we travel later.

BBE, super kudos for following your plan of "nothing" at your event....I relate and chuckled at "bowls of whatever". I was touched by your words to onebyone yesterday relating to moving forward. I looked at the book "Mastery" onAmazon and will look for it at the library. It's often where I feel I'm at...working towards the next phase. Thx for taking the time to post the link.

gardenerjoy, hope you are feeling better soon.

Beverlyjoy, thanks for the post from Dr.Beck. I think my greatest "advantage" accomplishment is to be off BP medication. I have a BP monitor at home and I used to take my BP daily (worried about a stroke). I've started taking it again lately and am in awe everytime I get a normal reading since I no longer take meds. PS. I have confidence in you to just get back on track. Holidays are difficult.

Xena(2013), kudos for just getting started with your SBD plan. Yep, when there isn't a big celebration-why not?

Liz(agna), love your new avatar as you support your friend. Kudos for continued beck practices as you see the scale move down.

onebyone, sending you supportive thoughts as you start your new plan.

everyone else! I am not organized enough yet this morning to access the Marchthread for more personals.

My day went very well yesterday until I snacked after dinner. Theoretically OK since I theoretically missed a meal (lunch) but not so good, since it was unplanned. Credit for portioning, though.
I didn't take one bite of crust while baking the mega pie and chose vegetarian at the potluck. I didn't have a bite of any other sweet other than my pie. credit.
We skipped lunch and did not cook a big meal at home later which is a first for this family.
With both events yesterday, I noticed very positive progress. It reminds me to keep practicing my Beck skills.

Off to finish packing
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I did not want to check in today. On April 1st I change my ticker to reflect my weight and I was adrift this weekend. So today's scale was two pounds up. I kept telling myself "Water weight- weigh in tomorrow and post. Don't eat today. You can get it off quickly." But BDS is correct that weight is just information. I refuse to go into the spiral of extreme behavior that has caused me to regain hundreds of pounds over the years. So, here it is April 1st and I have added two pounds to my ticker.

This weekend I planned a double family party (my husband's and mine.) It was the normal craziness with the classic rabbit hole food of MAC and Cheese that my mom brings which I ended up getting sick on. Credit I didn't scream at my husband or DS. Credit the party was beautiful - out at our 365 acre walnut ranch in the old barn in 75 degree weather with kids running around the tree house and playing tag football. It went off without a hitch except that my emotions were a mess because of family dynamics. I swear every year I will not throw these parties but then I see the joy on DS's face. He loves his cousins. There is a small window of opportunity to build his happy childhood memories. Thank goodness I have DH to lean on.

BethfromDayton and Onebyone and Beverleyjoy : I was with you in the food struggle this weekend. The positive mantra I gave myself this morning was this: There are only 20 or so holidays in a year. Even if I fail miserably on every one of them, I have 345 days to eat well. I am not defined by how far off the plan I go. I am defined by how kindly I treat myself during a lapse and how quickly i decide to return to healthy eating.

Lizagna: Congrats on getting your ticker. I was very excited when I got mine.
Xena2013: It is terrific you had a OP weekend. I want to be just like you.

Food is written for the day. Exercise is clenching my fists in the dentist's chair.

Last edited by maryann; 04-01-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #9  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I'm starting up April pretty well (given that it's only noon). I had to do an alternative to plan breakfast because of time this morning--but it was one I'd have planned for later in the week. Walked one building lap this morning--will do at least two more this afternoon. Lunch was just as planned.

There are treats and non-treats out the wazoo at work today--everything I brought in, plus 2 or 3 other people brought stuff in, plus someone brought in a veggie tray for lunch as well as a cheeseball. "No choice--not on my plan", I said to myself. I was pleased that I was most tempted by the celery sticks at the petite carrots and not the various sweets. I knew I couldn't justify a sweet (those have nothing to do with me) but it was a bit harder to tell myself "not on plan" for something that could have been planned. Credit for doing so.

I'm feeling a bit overfull right now. I really didn't eat very much (a frozen meal plus a sumo) but I think I'm not paying enough attention to whether I'm full.

Strangely enough, it wasn't the holiday that de-railed me (we don't celebrate Easter), but rather having a party at home. I don't think we'll be having another party until June, though.

I can do this--thanks to all for being here.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Happy Monday!

Hey, Beckster Coaches/Buddies!

Even though I got up early this a.m., tasks like catering to Emma & Watson and folding laundry, plus general putzing cut back on exercise time. Did 10-15 minutes of P90X and only wogged Emma 1.7 mi. After yesterday's 40-degree shorts-weather temps lured us into ardent spring fever, the not-so-nurturing Muthah Nature drummed up a 16-degree windchill this a.m. Drat! Back to deeply insulated running tights and three layers on top.

So far OP for eating and have been doing the hourly stair climb at work. A colleague of DH and dear friend to both of us is in town, so we'll be eating out tonight. I'm still debating what to order, but plan to have a plan by the time we get to the restaurant.

Xena - Congratulations, credit, WTG! To use your own words of wisdom to reel back in from the ST is the ultimate in Beck-ism. And how exciting and validating to lose the 2 Kg.

BeverlyJoy - Thanks for sharing the Beck quote. Those are always so inspiring and grounding. Sorry you had a tough weekend. New week/new month! Lots of opportunities to be happy with your planning and execution. You can do it.

GardenerJoy - Feel better soon.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Where does the "Lexxiss" come from or what does it represent, if I may ask? (I realized I've been spelling it with only one "x". My bad, particularly since I'm fond of "x"s. I have a Nissan Xterra, and his name is Rexx.) Great job with the portions and planning awareness--even though the planning execution wasn't exactly what you'd hoped for. And no bite of crust. Way to Beck it!

BBE - "It feels so good all over to be fully in the game." What a beautiful statement. I could feel that one down to my toes and may use it for an ARC of my own. Will there be any problem with copyright infringement? "Don't strain your eyes. Plagiar-IZE."

Maryann - Kudos for having the courage to check in. I forget how BBE put it in the past, but something in his iniimitable phrasing about the scale can "jitter". You'll be back down in no time. LOVED your positive holiday mantra, and about your exercise will be clenching your fists in the dentist's chair. (Mine will be jumping to conclusions.) Although where an uncomfortable dentist's appointment is concerned, I probably shouldn't be laughing.

BethfromDayton - Credit for planning & exercise. Great start to the week!

Happy trails!

xo
Liz

Last edited by Lizagna; 04-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Liz(agna), I've changed my avatar to Lexxiss. She was originally Lexus (very neglected), but she knew her name so we changed the spelling. She was the pup I never thought I'd lose 9/2009 when I joined here that May. Thx for asking. Funny Rexx has the xx, too! lol
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #12  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy April Fool's Day. I didn't want to hop on the scale this morning in case my scale decided to prank me. I'll leave it alone for a few more days.

Logged all food in MyFitnessPal and am under my calorie goal today ... odd in that I thought I was over my range - negative thinking.

I read an interesting article in Self magazine this weekend (not sure what issue as I've passed it on) but the gist of the first-person story was "what I missed out on in life because I'm fat" ... including her proposal by her boyfriend as when he went down on one knee, she immediately worried about how she was positioned, and did her abdominal fat accordian, and then it was over and she MISSED IT. I had to laugh, but along with the other recounts - worrying a bride on what the meal would be on at the wedding, not wanting to go to the beach, it made me think. Are there things I have skipped out on? I hope not. There's always the "I'll look better in a bathing suit this summer" but dang it - I thought that when I was 130 - a distant memory now. Ah well. Onward and forward.

A hot bubble bath is my means to avoid more eating tonight from stress - as I join Maryann, Beth, BeverlyJoy, and OneByOne with a rough eating weekend. One day of on-plan builds me up - then I can say I'm having a good month so far!

The flurries they were predicting for today have not materialized yet - thankful for that. Anxious to start our hiking, camping and backyard project plans! I told DH that I think much, much better with the space heater on and the house heat bumped up a bit. He [wisely] doesn't buy that. It was worth a shot. I am weary of the cold temps and swear that if I were a pioneer woman on the back of a wagon heading west, I would have been sticking my head out hollering to turn LEFT, TURN LEFT...

p.s. - LOVE the new avatars, Lexxiss (Debbie) and Liz!

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-01-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: adding p.s.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #13  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool blew a fuse

Coaches

So I woke up to the 1st day of my new foodplan. I forgot to weigh in, but did not forget to eat on plan. *credit* and I continued on plan all day *credit* collective wisdom here at Becksville is that being on plan feels good and makes you crave more of that. I can say, I am happy to give *credit* where *credit* is due. My success today on day 1 of south beach diet coupled with Beck makes me happy as I end the day, especially since I had a less than perfect start. I got all my stuff together determined to print that print today and then I woke up ton -1C. Oh oh. Drove to teh studio to find it was 6C inside,. My ink needs 8C to work properly and so I turned on both portable heaters to raise the temps inthere and then tunred on the coffee pot to brew a pot for me and then tunred a small work lamp opn so I coullld more easily seeif my ink was rolling out nicely with no naasty dried up ink bits in it and
his was on top of the ffluuorescents being on. Everything was fine. . I checked my blocks and the weights ahve done some good work. They were much flatter than before adn so I was hopeful and was jjust wwwaiiting f or my coffee when *poof* Lights out. I blew the fuse. No heat. No light ( I have no window to the outside) and even thecoffee was halfway done. I was grateful i hadn't rolled my ink out or started to print (yay for that) and so I took what coffee I could, replaced the boards and the weights over my linoblocks and locked the studiop up for another day. I called the landlord who told me I tripped the breaker and its waaaayyyyy in the back so I won't be outtaluck like this ever again. I came home and worked on other projects I have set for msyelf for the month and managed to get those done. I stayed on my foodplan 98% today as when i was at the studiop I used my non dairy cremer in my coffee vs the 1%milk I am 100% allowed. I didn't want an opne carton inj the car since I was heading back home, plus I couldn't really see to pour it in there and I was frazzled. I forgave myself immediately for this minor, very minor deviation from my plan. I did not want it to derail me for the rest of the day or to put off starting the SBD until tomorrow. instaed I had an OP lunch, snack and dinner and have leftovers for tomorrow. I had a choice to eat more and chose not to, opting to stay within one serving and using the leftovers for another day. *credit* Also, the new tenants moved in and there are 5 of them all living above us now. I cannot see how this house can support three apartments. In order for us to move I need to get the taxes done as they simply paralyze DH so I got DH to get the paperwork out for me and I have the software already. This week it will get done.

So, all in all, a good day. Now, have a good night everyone who's read this.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #14  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Happy April Becksters,
I had a mostly OP day. I had to veer off my plan when, after I out a bit of feta on my salad that was loaded with veggies that I was excited about when I noticed the strong smell and the expiration date and had to abandon and try again. I only had lettuce and avocado but I heated up some frozen mixed veggies. All fine but not exactly how I planned it. Confessing it helps!

I made another set of ARCs to keep in my purse....basically the same as the home ones but a few in code in case someone finds them....

A friend who is having a hard time wanted to get pedicures together so we could catch up. I had planned on going sometime this week as a reward for 5 lbs gone so I brought dd and met up with my friend. Very relaxing and my heels are as soft as a baby's bottom!

How do people organize response cards? As in, with so many of them and so many possible sabotaging thoughts, how do you make contact with the right one at the right time? So far, I have been using index cards on a ring with dividers....ARC in first section, Responses next, and a list of proud weight loss moments last. I tried to label the responses with the issues but I will still end up rifling through when a situation arises..

Xena2013- I love that in the midst of pursuing a food fix, your thought of walking away from going off program could reduce anxiety made you do just that. I wrote that one down as a response...it spoke to me. Huge kudos for that! What a great feeling to have power over the food/situation!

Til tomorrow...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - International Children's Book Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Felt fully in the game, again, CREDIT moi. I passed on FREE Turtles (chocolate covered pecans) - my favorite candy in all the world. They have been since I was a kid and they were rare treats. When I was losing, passing candy like that was natural. In maintenance, however, I've gotten lax since I've planned occasional dips into 'rare and unusual' treats to help stave off the feeling of being denied. However, when I lose the 'rare and unusual' qualifier, I'm capable of just digging in like the old days. Will continue looking for a middle ground but, for now, a period of hands off is what I need.

Lucky timing on the walk to gym (CREDIT moi). It started to rain just as I got there but had stopped by the time I left. I was wearing gym shorts without my normal winter warm-up track pants over them. That felt so good.

onebyone – Neat that you can extract, "So, all in all, a good day" from the same set of setbacks that could have allowed one to wallow in misery. Kudos for making that choice. Ouch for the blown circuit breaker and delayed printing. 6C can also feel a tad chilly on the fingers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for feeling ill. Thanks for "I won't be eating over it."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for yet another pot luck conquered. I'll be carrying an image of "mega pie" all day, LOL. (It's hard to type with those longfull eyes staring at me from Lexxiss in your avatar, LOL.)

maryann - I so admire your awareness that you're making "happy childhood memories" for your DS. Kudos for conquering your annual party despite the baggage that family brings.

nationalparker – Yep, ain't it so, "One day of on-plan builds me up." LOL at your pioneer woman attempting to steer the wagon train south.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for juggling the issues with would-have-been-OK-had-they-been-planned foods. And Kudos also for those planned laps about the building.

Liz (lizagna) – Kinda awed by "40-degree shorts-weather" - you youngsters have better heat generation than I do, LOL. Kudos for thoughtfully planning your restaurant order in advance.

Rosebud170 – Yay for pedicures with a friend as a reward. Ouch for a tossed salad - that one hurts.

Xena2013 – That's just the best story ever - to stand down the universal Sabotaging Thought to pig out the weekend before starting a diet on Monday. Monster Kudos for using your own Helpful Response, "NOT to eat can relieve tension as well."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

... Many dieters overlook these important issues when they're trying to lose weight. They start dieting with no preparation. Don't make this mistake! I've found preparation is one of the most crucial components of dieting success.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 54.
Closed Thread