Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #151  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I love weekends and I'm so glad this one has started!

Today was an OP eating day. I know I'll have cake after dinner tomorrow (DD's birthday), but it'll be a small piece. The rest of the day should be easy.

Not much to report!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #152  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I hit a new low for the month this morning and I'm now at a weight that I'm happy to take to France -- although a few more fractions of pounds for good measure would be helpful. Yesterday was a 90% day. I swapped out the supper plan for something equivalent and it worked out well.

Exercise: +30 705/1000 for May

BillBlueEyes: I love hearing Temple Grandin interviewed on the radio. Cool that you got to hear her in person. Hope you're having a great weekend!

spanky: good for you for working out a Plan B for snacks before they're needed.

BeverlyJoy: Hope you're having a great time with your sister!

maryann: woohoo for "no choice" to cupcakes!

LuLu01801: Yay for "doing the drill" and feeling fabulous!

sparks17: good for you for finding ways to make life work and to adjust your plan accordingly.

Lexxiss: Ouch for the emotional issues but I'm glad you're finding ways to make your day better even when other things are out of your control.

onebyone: cool that you can get into the garden this weekend and it sounds like things might have improved with the management. Glad to see you back here!

bethFromDayton: Happy birthday to your daughter! Good for you for having a plan for dealing with the festivities!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday 80% OP. Gave myself practice at identifying sabotaging thoughts by eating two squares of chocolate and 1/4 cup candied walnuts. I stopped, flushed all the rest of the offending food down the garbage disposal and notated in my diary what thoughts I had before I ate them. One was "It is almost on plan" (I had walnuts on my plan but not candied walnuts) The other was that sugar tastes so good, this is fun and a little vacation." Both thoughts lasted a moment then I felt the regret coming in. But i stopped that as well, read my get back on track card. Weight is still 1 pound below ticker. Pilates this morning. DS is in the state finals for conservation debates. We have his "owl box" (an alternative to pesticides) loaded in the truck.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Morning lovely coaches!

It's a beautiful day today here in the south east! I am on Day 13 which is resisting cravings meaning tomorrow is....DAY 14! Diet Day! I am really proud that I've gotten this far..most of the credit goes to my very motivational diet coach.

I've not been checking in here as much because I've been awful busy but I'm going to get on it and be present here! More to come later but have beautiful days full of beautiful choices for your beautiful bodies!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #155  

Hello all! Today has been successful so far, I survived a children's birthday party full of food to munch on (not a choice, and after all those children's hands/flies on it..probably not a good choice for anyone!).

I brought lunch with me, a yummy falaffle sandwich, and I ate half and saved half for tomorrow's lunch.

This evening I baked vegan chocolate rasperry muffins and didn't lick a spoon or sneak a chocolate chip at all.

Now I have to confront the evening. veggie dogs and french fries are on the menu and french fries are a trigger food. I plan to put my portion on my plate at the beginning and not go back to the kitchen. Also only prepare part of the bag so tehre aren't a lot sitting out.

Then for evening snack I get a delicious muffin! Yay!

I have decided on a new rule of no eating while watching a show or playing a game on the computer. I have to pause those activities to eat in order to cut down on "mindless eating". I think that this rule will help me.

maryann Thank you for your powerful words about the reasons we use food. Food is supposed to be for sustance and health and enjoyment - not for escaping or self medicating. I feel a response card coming on!

bethFromDayton Kudos for plannign on how to deal with a possibly challenging cake situation! They key to success, I feel, is making sure we can still enjoy those little treats but not let them control us.

gardenerjoy Yay for the low weight! Those French fashion models wont' know what hit 'em!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

gardener joy -
Quote:
I hit a new low for the month this morning and I'm now at a weight that I'm happy to take to France
awesome!!

maryann - Wow - putting food down the disposal is hardcore!

Well. I am still hungry. But I have eaten everything I planned for today and I am just going to suck it up. I am not at the "Oh well" day yet...but I know that it is coming, so I am practicing it. OH WELL!

Today I am up to Day 10 - Set a Realistic Goal. The thing is...I am not planning to weigh myself more than once a month, or whenever I or one of my kids has a dr appt. Have I mentioned that I do not have a scale and am not planning to get one at this time? (one of our daughters has had some food issues and it is better for her not to have a scale now, just in case) My longer term goal is 10% of my original weight, which is 25 pounds. So I can plan to think about 5 pounds at a time, but I may not actually know when I get there...

I do have a dr. appt on Monday, so I will see how I am doing then. If my loss works out to less than .5 pounds per week, I will look at being more strict with my carbs and/or calories. I can't be sure that my current plan is sufficient until after I see whether/how much I lose...it will have been 4 weeks since I weighed in at 237, so I am hoping for a 2-4 pound loss. Of course, I really hope it is more like 4-5 pounds, but I am trying to think slow and steady!!!

I am just thinking out loud here. Suffice it to say, I am going to celebrate each 5 lb. loss as soon as I know about it!!

ETA: veganasaurus - great new rule! And thinking about your falafel and muffin are not helping my hungry-feeling...lol

Last edited by sparks17; 05-18-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #157  
I can do this

I went a bit off plan today (pizza instead of the planned steak and potato for dinner), and had cake & ice cream as planned. Was at maintenance level calories today--but that's not so shabby for an 18th birthday!

DD and her friends are in the basement hanging out--shrieks of hilarity (they're playing Cards against Humanity).

I won't have treat stuff tomorrow--the cake was a one-time thing--DD will have to figure out what to do with the leftovers, as I won't be eating them!

I'm yawning a bit--off to bed with me soon!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #158  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Late check in tonight ... will post better note in the morning ... Bad news from the permitting office here and no deck can extend into an easement on your property. SO, staking out our property lines not counting the easements had us realize that we cannot put up a deck at ALL unless it's right against the back of the house. Right now, I said no to that. That's not what we were after. SO revamping and trying to wrap my mind around a change of plans/complete change of design. I can't 'see' it yet, though, so have to keep pondering on it and walking around out there. I was crushed yesterday hearing that. DH was as well, I think.

So, decided to take control and make one improvement that I've wanted to for a bit, and prepped the front bathroom for a makeover this morning, went to Lowe's, picked the paint, and got to work. End result tonight is a completely finished bathroom with new linens and just need new towel rack. Have a shelf unit that's enameled that won't match now, so will attempt to sand and then paint chocolate brown. Sitting down tonight feels good. I'm weary.

Food = so/so today. I'd not prepped anything for dinner as I didn't hit the market, so made pillsbury pizza crust as flatbread with pesto and parmesan/romano on it. I've not done well at all on the veggies here lately. And then when I sat down tonight, I took a 130 calorie snack that I didn't need, but just wanted. Apparently more than I want to lose weight. I'm up a pound from ticker. Haven't set GOALS here lately - feel like i"m floundering and just treading water. So will set a goal to be down two pounds from where I am today by next Saturday. Even if I don't make it (putting my safety cushion in place?), I'm at least aiming for it and focusing on it.

G'nite all!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #159  
Green Tomatoes

Extra bread yesterday led to predictable results on the scale. Following my plan more precisely would have worked better -- I had my afternoon snack way too early which led to hunger before supper.

I have a plan today with no snacks, which will be a good exercise for me. My brother's taking us out to lunch to a restaurant called Gulf Shores. The themes are southern and sea food. I already picked out my meal from the menu -- blackened tuna on a salad, dressing on the side. I'm prepared to leave half the fish if it's large and I'll only eat three bites of the corn muffin that they serve with the salad -- I'll call that dessert.

Exercise: +65 770/1000 for May

nationalparker: so sorry the deck plans didn't work out. That always throws me for a loop when I have a vision and can't make it come to fruition. Good for you for channeling that energy in a direction where you could make a difference. I should try that.

bethFromDayton: Sounds like a festive birthday! Great that you're committed to not continuing with treats into today.

sparks17: Excellent use of OH WELL! Your realistic goal sounds reasonable given the tools you have. The book You On a Diet by Dr. Oz recommends using waist measurement to gauge success.

veganasaurusrex: Way to go with bringing your own lunch to a birthday party! I like your rule of not eating in front of the TV or computer. I eat in front of the TV at night with my husband and its not a problem, but that's a rule that would help me at other times -- eating in front of the TV when I'm alone in the house causes all kinds of struggle for me and it was a factor in my early snack yesterday.

maryann: Thanks for describing exactly how the identification of sabotaging thoughts worked for you. That's so helpful!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

So far so good today. I have enough calories/carbs left in my plan for a snack later....but there is nothing snacky in the house (credit!), so I may just eat a little more dinner if I am hungry.

Today is Day 11 - Hunger, Desire and Cravings. At this moment I know that I am hungry as it is lunchtime but I won't probably eat for another hour. So I have a feeling that after I eat my planned lunch I will have an opportunity to practice distinguishing!

Beth - maintenance calories - great idea!! I am stealing it the next time I have a "special day"!!!

Nat"l Parker - Sorry about your deck. I had to Google "easement" and I am still a little confused, but I get the idea.

gardenerjoy - thanks for the advice about the measurements. I have lost 1.5 inches on both my waist and my hips in the past 10 weeks. Not as fast as I would like...but I can see it in my clothing so I do feel progress.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #161  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful Sunday. I used to think the best job would be a pilot - you'll always see sunshine when you're above the clouds, and my mood is so, so determined by the weather. I am alternating chores inside with 15 minutes sitting out in the sunshine reading and sweating like a roasting pig. I am putting off the major chores (steam cleaning carpeting), and handling the simpler things (culling towels and putting donations aside for the humane society ... laundry ... meal/marketing plan). Will hit the market early evening. No plan for today and that's been apparent in my food intake. Hoping DH is up for Panera tonight, as I'd like their asian chicken salad. Typically I want to eat at home on days when I'm home all day to prep/cook, but not today

On week #3 of one of our cats being on med to have her chill a bit and not target another cat to attack. No change whatsoever and another 10 days to keep trying/test before trying another med. I'm frustrated as it stresses me out. I'm not even letting them together at all now, it just ends the same way and not fair to the other cat. I feel like a lion feeder - with opening doors and closing others, making sure I know where they are. The funny thing is, this one cat is the most loving. Go figure. I wanted them to all comingle by June (this started when we brought her in - someone dumped her or she was a complete stray - in October).
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #162  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Great weekend!

Weighed in down 2.5 pounds, really able to connect the result to the hard work all week.

Today got in extra calories knowing I'd be off schedule due to going out of town with some friends for a special Mass. I've been solid all day and didn't get frantically hungry enough to dive into those deadly "After Sunday Mass Coffee and Donuts". Didn't even touch 'em--credit fer sure!

I've picked a battle with some croissants sitting on the counter. They are for my son's breakfasts this week. Normally I steal the tips of them and, being 6, he doesn't notice. I can consume a whole roll in this sneaky way. This week I'm drawing a line in the sand and choosing to strengthen my Resistance Muscle until they're all gone. NOT. ONE. BITE. So please, ask me how I'm doing this week on this point, if you think of it!

Hanging on to the motivation from this nice little weight drop and wishing all a good evening.

spanks

Last edited by spanky; 05-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #163  

Good evening all! Today was a good day and tomorrow is day 1 of my diet and that will be a good day!

Everything is planned in myfitplanner. Does anyone else here use that product? It seems to have a social component where you can connect to other folks on it...do any of you utilize that?

Please send me good vibes as I continue this journey tomorrow!

sparks17 I hear you on the scale thing. I'm not comfortable having one in my house but I DO want to weigh myself daily because I think it's a good idea. I'm compromising with the scale at the gym for weighing, I'm also considering getting one to keep in my car (I know, it's insane, but there we go) so I can weigh myself....in the parkling lot at work? In the parking lot at the store? Clearly I haven't thought this through all the way. But I'm working to find ways to give myself that daily information (not reinforcement, nessicarily, just data) that I think will be helpful. But yea, difficult question!

bethFromDayton Kudos for asigning other people tasks that could be challenging for you!

nationalparker Goals are great because met or unmet they still provide you with something valuable! If you're down 2 lbs...that's 2lbs less on your journey! If you're not, it's an opportunity to look back at what you've been doing and see how you can improve your skills to be more successful next time. I wish you the strength to reach your goal and the wisdom to learn from the process (and hopefully with you having both of those I can get some for myself!)

gardenerjoy Yay for gaining knowledge from the data of the scale! I think you're a model of what Beck wants us to use that info for! Also pet stress is the worst. My dog has terrible allergies [B]AND agression problems and I find both kind of overwhelming to deal with. We'll get through it though!

Spanky Yaaay! Sometimes when I know I'm doing everything right and the scale doesn't reflect it I personify the scale and get mad at it for not doing it's job! I'm glad your scale is behaving as it should be! Also, now I'm personifying your croissants as evil lizards that will bite your figers if you try to nibble them! Though that's probably not a helpful image, I hope it can at least help you giggle your way out of cravings.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #164  
I can do this

Hi all,

Today was an unplanned day, but within parameters, so I call it OP. I ended up skipping breakfast, having a 'typical' lunch, and a 'typical' dinner. I skipped my afternoon snack and have stood firm against leftover birthday cake and ice cream. Weight is at ticker.

DD the younger is having a smartphone crisis--and although I'm getting things working again, I can't do anything about the fact that she hasn't done a backup in 3 months. Granted, she has an old computer, but she didn't ask for help, which I would have gladly given. Her new "going off to college" laptop has been ordered, but that doesn't help when she's lost months of pictures, notes, and texts from her phone. I've been working on it for several hours--at least her phone is responsive again, which is better than it was when I started!

I've got tomorrow planned out and lunch packed. I've got to get back into exercise...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #165  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello there Coaches,
What a busy and active weekend I had! Yesterday was the "new regular" of water aerobics and racquetball. Then, dd had 2 friends sleepover since they are in the dance class and also in the Girl Scout Troop which was going on a field trip today. We went to Northwest Trek Wildlife Park. I have livedhere my whole life and had never been before today. It was a lot of fun and I got some steps in as well. It is fun to hang with this group of 5 girls who have been together as a troop since first grade. It is often difficult to not feel like these events take up so much of my valuable weekend, etc... but it turns my heart to mush to see them be such nice kids out there in the world and get along so well despite the odd number of them.

Anyway, credit to me for working my Beck plan with eating sitting down, resisting temptation (I said NO CHOICE to myself for grilledcheesesandwichesbutteredonbothsidesofWHITEb read, chocolate covered strawberris and nachos)... Not.a.crumb.passed.these.lips!!! I have gotten in some extra workouts, done some unplanned movement, drank large quantities of water and prepared healthy food that I am excited about. On a side, I made a veggie smoothie today and it was a FAIL. I followed a recipe online and didn't like the combo...and my blender didn't really "liquify" so thetexture was weird. I will try gain with my food processor and also no sweetener... and maybe not the almond milk. It tasted like gaspacho (which I love) with added flavors and I didn't enjoy the blend. I left my Ipad at school this weekend and the recommendations some of you gave me are screenshots on that. I will collect those tomorrow and try again!!!

Have a wonderful week everyone...
Closed Thread