Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #61  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

It's only been three days and I'm already sick of being bed-ridden. Keeping my foot above my heart is hard. Tomorrow, I think I'll start watching movies. I haven't wanted to tackle the stairs--and our only TV is in the basement.

DH is not the world's greatest food helper--but I've had two balanced meals and a snack today. Slept through breakfast and had an early lunch. He'll be home for the weekend and then Monday he goes back into the office--I'll still be under orders to stay off my feet.

No 'exercise'--that just won't be happening for a while. I'm keeping well within food calorie limits, though. Since I'm hardly moving, I really want to keep intake in check--and not give in to 'boredom' eating.

Beverlyjoy: I'm going to try your counting after each bite exercise--I think I still eat too fast and that might help. Yay for the campfire--and more yay for not making sure the s'mores are happening!

Newlifestyle (Ann): I'm glad to hear you went for a walk today. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part.

maryann: I'll be thinking of you and hope the rechecks of your lab work are all okay. That's a tough thing to find out on Friday and have to deal with over the weekend.

mercer1122: Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you and offering and getting support!

Lizagna: I love your posts--you are a hoot--cheerful and funny and encouraging!

gardenerjoy: I hope your energy recovers.

LuLu01801: Not drinking wine can be challenging. It sounds like you're collecting and recognizing lots of credits!

nationalparker: Stepchildren can be really hard. I empathize. Credit for recognizing that too light of a meal can be a problem--let us know how addding on to lunch goes.

Lexxiss: Credit for being OP--and for freeweights! What are you renovating?

BillBE: Skipping baked camembert? I am majorly impressed. You inspire me--it can be done.

Rosebudg170: Anticipation is great--I hope you have a fantastic time!

spanky: Credit for re-starting--and it sounds like you're off to a really good start.

Take care, all. Typing lying down is hard--and that's as much as I can do right now!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #62  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Stumping along like an old dog.
Ate OK today. Read my response card. Can't decide about which diet yet.

Walked my other dogs--had to walk slowly and just a very short way for the two aged ones, but a longer "real" walk with the middle aged one.

Tomorrow I have to decide about the puppy. It will probably be a "no" to keep peace in the house with DH.

G'nite all--happy weekend.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #63  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up checking in

Coaches

We had a bright sunny day for the most part. Still cold though. Had a shock with the Looloo cat this morning at the vet. Brought her in for her fluids and the vet told me she now weighs 3.8lbs - down from 4.5 last week. Wow. She's been eating too. I have no idea what to think and neither does the vet except to encourage me to encourage her to eat. As it is I follow here everywhere ad at the slightest sign of food interest I am on it. My other cat, Caesar, must be gaining weight for sure with so much bounty everywhere all the time. hard to tell with him, he's a big boy cat.

So, with this and other thoughts about Looloo on my mind today I didn;t get to the studio and I deviated from my plan today, though mostly with teeh order of my food not so much the quantity, though I did make an honest mistake by having 2% vs fat free yogurt. My bad. I underate my veggies too. As well as the water--didn't have nearly enough. Oh well. I move forward. do feel much improved over yesterday. *credit* for staying the course.

Ok off to bed now. I am hoping to get to the studio early in the morning.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome mercer1122

mercer1122

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum on the site 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Got reminded at gym (CREDIT moi) that there are crazies out there. Out of the blue a guy starts yelling "Don't touch me" at one of the regulars who must have brushed past him. Then fetched a person from the front desk to LOUDLY launch a complaint in the middle of the weight room about his rights being violated. All eyes were rolling. Poor guy didn't know that the youngster at the front desk is a trainee from a local university with a work-study program whose only goal is to make it through her shift and get back to real life. I also worked out, but that wasn't so interesting.

Eating was on-plan, CREDIT moi. I was very pleased that I spent some time planning for dinner at the home of a friend. She's lean, vegetarian, and athletic so the choice of food wasn't going to be a problem - just volume. I passed on the bowl of nuts for appetizer (separate CREDIT moi for that), had only one serving of the eggplant parmesan despite delicious, two large servings of salad, and skipped the cookies at dessert. I reminded myself that I could get those cookies anytime - top shelf Whole Foods, but still factory made.

onebyone – Hope Looloo can feel your concern and eat a bit more. Kudos for staying the course through this.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – The real sign of spring is gardeners dealing with compost and leaf mold piles. Love the thought of "well-formed squats" while working.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for going back to Phase One of South Beach - neat whack upside the head to keep the path.

Beverlyjoy – Now that's a sane plan, "I am NOT getting the stuff for s'mores." Xena2013 can enjoy reading your quote that Beck also understands that you don't have to wait till Monday.

maryann - Twelve hours is one loooong day at Starbucks. A very experienced doctor told me how much he hates mammograms because their 97% false positive results cause much consternation in all the women who are required to take additional tests and await answers. Good luck accepting the wait using friends instead of food.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yay for putting off procrastination - just what it deserves. Kudos for seeing that "one day at a time" works for you.

spanky - "Stumping along" is movement is the right direction - Kudos. What diets are you considering?

nationalparker – Yay for the joy of working too long in the yard to sweep all evidence of winter. Ouch for the real issues of dealing with a kid who's probably still dealing with her parents divorce. Kudos for working to remain calm and for not eating about it.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ouch for continued bed-ridden. Hope you're been fed a supply of new books of interest since you've no TV. Kudos for keeping healthy eating on your agenda.

Liz (lizagna) – LOL at the Helpful Response in the form of a snarky voice saying, "Yeah, and just how well did THAT work for ya?"

Lulu (LuLu01801) – There's no better NSV than the pants feeling a bit looser - Congrats on your progress. Kudos for making a firm plan for the wine this evening. I've found that one can be outrageous and sociable with or without.

mercer1122 – Yep, the Beck Strategies will work well with Weight Watchers. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight
... You'll read these cards daily as you lose weight - and periodically for the rest of your life. They are an essential part of the Beck Diet Solution program. Chances are, you've never created, much less read, cards like these. No wonder hunger and craving have gotten the better of you in the past!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 54.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #66  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches! OP yesterday and said NOCHOICE to my 15 minute exercise….it's not that I don't want to do it but that if I don't prioritize something else always comes up. Credit. It's a busy work week starting today…4 in a row. I'm really noticing lately just how much food my coworkers consume on the weekends-plus there are usually donuts. I have my healthy option planned out reminding myself it's ok to put the donuts out of the way.

BTW-My renovation is to my Grandmother's tiny house...unoccupied and filled with family stuff since 1973. It is very rustic/rundown. DH and I painted two summers ago and FINALLY got my mom to ok our proceeding to turn it into a small rental (aided by a notice from the city regarding it's vagrant look). I'm just about finished with the haul out which has taken 8 years..We have husband/wife contractor friends who are going to help us....pretty funky now and I'm in the process of trying to visualize the new look.

BBE, Wow! An unusual day at the gym. Lol. I'm glad you did get a workout. Love your "separate credit" for avoiding nuts. Are you still "thinking" about a bike??

Mercer1122, welcome to the Beck forum!

Onebyone, credit for staying the course amidst many unknowns!

Spanky, so glad to have you back. How many other pups do you have? I am down to one and he has a heart issue so we're not adding on right now but I just saw the cutest puppies, too. I'd be more likely but DH is saying not now, too.

Beth(fromDayton), glad to hear your foot is making progress. Credit for being really mindful right now.

Beverlyjoy, credit for continued Beck skills and thank you for posting the newsfeed. They are very helpful reminders. Sending you good vibes as you deal with a weekend and food events.

Ann(Newlifestyle), I have always loved "fake it till you make it"! Glad you feel better. I find, personally, that all the "swirling in my head" is made much better when sharing with the folks here…

Maryann, wishing you a sane weekend as you have much on your mind. Thanks for reminding me of M.Teresa's words.

Liz(agna), I enjoyed your blog post and have bookmarked it to read more. Thx for the link. Yay for your 10 minute routine! I find that short/everyday moves me forward with exercise and housework.

Gardenerjoy, glad you are enjoying some yardwork even though you aren't with your usual energy.

LuLu, nice credits….all is good!

Nationalparker, credit for switching your lunch around. BTW-I relate...often starting a post then getting sidetracked. Credit for trying….juggling all the different (and often emotional) aspects of life AND having an online family is often difficult. I know, that I do much better with dieting when I stick close to this forum. BTW-read your post yesterday and could definitely relate…..I'm so grateful every day I can let my DH have his own relationship w/his two (often immature) DD's. I find what works for me is kindness w/o buying in to manipulation and detaching in the way that I "find some space for me". I don't get much of that so why waste an opportunity. (counting the days down with you)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #67  
Janet

S/C/G: 190.5/186.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi all, thank you for the warm welcome! I am really looking forward to getting to know you!

Bill - I found out about the book on a WW message board - they have a daily thread there, too. I have been on 3 Fat Chicks in the past and when I did a Google search regarding Beck Support Groups, this thread was listed #3, I think?

Lexxiss - great job saying NO CHOICE to exercise! Now that it is finally starting to warm up I plan to get outside with my dog a lot! Congrats on the clean out - I'm going to have to tackle my mother in law's house soon and that is not going to be fun.

OnebyOne - so sorry to hear about your cat being ill. I have 3 cats and a dog and they are very precious to me!

Beth - I hope you get well soon!

Beverly - good luck with your food events today - I know how hard that is!

Maryann - you are going through so much! Good luck with your thesis, and I hope your mammo comes back ok. I had to go back last year for a second round. Must stop procrastinating and schedule this year's!

credits this morning:

I measured my cereal and milk
I sat down at the table to eat it
I tracked my weight (lost .4 which is a miracle!)
I tracked my breakfast
I planned some of my food
I connected with my Coaches! <3
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #68  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Default A New Day

This week I decided that, even if this puppy was a direct clone from Finn, he will never be Finn. I declined on the puppy and decided to move on with the request to God that Finn be standing in the "White Light" when I die to greet me with his squeaky carrot toy.

Somehow this feels like a piece of 'letting go of Finn' now that I made the decision and clinched it with a call to the breeder.

My chosen diet will probably be Paleo. I'm making some preparations ahead of time to help things along. I have a goal to give up artificial sweetners and my soy shakes. I think they may be giving me problems. Ordered a "Paleo Safe" shake mix to replace the soy. For some reason, I find I can only drink a shake for breakfast--I simply cannot eat in the morning. But I can drink. Considering simply throwing back a shot of Irish whiskey in the morning if this doesn't work!

Off to walk old dogs. Spank

Last edited by spanky; 04-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #69  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

good morning folks!!
today is another great day for me!
have any of you heard of the Master Cleanse?
well I am currently doing a cleanse, as I have been doing quarterly for a while now.
this is my 20th time cleansing (4 times a year).
sure you lose weight on this, but it just comes back on if you don't have a plan for it not to.
the main purpose of this cleanse is body detoxifying.
so for the next couple of weeks, my weight will be going down faster than typical for dieting.
then my diet of choice is WW, immediately following this cleanse.
today is day 6 and I feel great!!
very fresh and clean and revived, even though no solid food.
I quit smoking last Monday too so that's probably contributing to my well being too.
none of this is a struggle because I put my mind to it and that's it, I'm doing it.

Credit to me . . .
I walked the Charles River on my lunch hour yesterday.
I walked home from my bus stop instead of getting picked up.
I stayed OP.
I'm writing to my coaches here daily.
I've got my face in those Beck books daily.
I worked on the Creating Time worksheet (and see clearly that I have no problem at all with time).
I've made some changes to the food I buy as to not have tempting things around.
I cleaned out the fridge and pantry nicely.
I'm meeting a friend this afternoon for a long walk along the Merrimack River.
I wrote in my journal this morning and have every day this week, I find that enlightening (what came out from my hand to that paper bowled me over this morning . . . it wasn't in my head until it was on the paper and it was very powerful).

I'm ready to take charge of my life, one day at a time.

Fear less, hope more,
Eat less, chew more,
Whine less, breathe more,
Talk less, say more,
Hate less, love more,
And all good things will be yours.

Lulu
Old 04-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hello Everyone.

I just received my copy of The Beck Diet Solution so I'm ready to try it out. I started reading it on Friday. I just typed up my Reasons Why I Want to Lose Weight and I'm ready to laminate it so it won't get tattered. It's not very long but I expect to add to it occasionally as I think of more reasons. My first and main one is that I want to lose my big belly. I had 2 abdominal surgeries and they really wreak havoc on the abdomen. I look 7 months pregnant, and at 67, I think that's pretty much out of the question. LOL I will check back in here after I read some more as I might have questions.

Have a good day.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #71  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Carol Sue!!
It's a great book with sound advice and the support you'll get here is so valuable!!

I just have to share with all of you my great find.
OMG, I'm so excited!!
I have these index cards that I use for the ARCs and for other responses to sabotaging thoughts.
I keep a clip on them but they've been bugging me.
I thought I wanted something bound, like a little small spiral notebook.
I was thinking the pages would probably get tattered and was hoping I'd stumble across something good.
went to CVS pharmacy . . . I couldn't believe my eyes!!
I found 50 wire bound ruled index cards, 3"x5"!!!!!
talk about perfect, huh?
they have the spiral binding along the top of the index cards.
I wish I could go get a load of them and mail one to each of you.
I can't wait to transfer all my words of wisdom into this!!!
doesn't take much to get me excited these days!! hahaha

just got back from a two hour walk in the woods.
a little nippy but fabulous!!
I'm in the groove, people.
thanks to all of you and Beck!!!

Lulu
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #72  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super duper quick check in and hoping to check in later when more time. DH is taking his daughter home now. I've starting making a recipe for homemade pretzel bites with ham/cheese in the middle. Since I don't eat pork, I'm going to use the turkey ham - certainly they make that. if not, then they're just going to have some cheese in there. I'm going to consciously track all the ingredients and do up the recipe on MyFitnessPal and see what each bite comes to. Enjoy and will freeze the extras to use another time... I don't often use a yeast recipe - not sure WHY - time? But we'll enjoy some tids and bits with the MBKB Final Four Semifinals tonight. Survived the few days and notice that a third of a can of store-bought frosting is now gone. His daughter is obese - and I struggle with the food sneaking. I've addressed it in the past. Don't think it was DH as it's been around here for ages. Just tossed the near-empty container and a lesson to me to not save things like that in the fridge for a maybe need down the line.

Thanks to you - good reminders to be patient! When he and I first got together both girls were so vocal about how happy they were that Dad was happy again, etc., but it's been up/down. She leaves without saying goodbye now and I find myself just letting her and no "goodbye" from me - whether in the car or here at home. I feel that makes me just as childish. But I am weary of the games.

Read a quote a while back - "Don't push the river" ... things happen in their own time. Things move along their way. I have that on my desktop. Don't push the river.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #73  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,
A busy day, with walking, grocery shopping and preparing healthy snacks.
I don't have time to write personals to everyone as I am working. I just thought I better check in, so this becomes a habit.
It was wonderful to see so many people enjoying the weather. Yeah spring is finally here.
Eating was on plan yesterday and so far today. My dinner and snacks are planned so I should be good. Grocery shopping for fresh fruits and veggies was great.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
Great Find Lulu.
Take Care
Ann
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #74  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Regrouping

Hello Coaches!

CREDIT to those of you who responded to my plea for help!!! All of your advice was great and you are helping me to get back on the wagon!!! I never completely fell off the wagon, but my rear end was dragging in the dirt for awhile!!! Thank God for new beginnings! Sorry I didn't get to write again while on vacation. We are home now and I am regrouping. Things feel much more manageable here. I know what is in my refrig and cupboards, and I can go to the local store to get healthy food and snacks when needed. I worked out today, which included 30 minutes on the TreadCimber and Treadmill (combined) and some free weight arm exercises. I did have a good time in Florida and worked on accepting myself where I am, but I just got depressed whenever I caught a glimpse of myself in the windows all around. I just hate that I have such a long way to go, which is why I said I feel I am at a crossroad again. I will push forward, though, one day at a time, and never quit on myself or all of you!!! It truly helps to know you are all here rooting me on!!! So thank you again!!! I really appreciate your concern and wise advice.

BillBlueEyes: Thank you for reminding me that a "general plan" is still a plan and that planning doesn't have to be "perfect" either.

nationalparker: Thank you for the pep talk and reminding me that I CAN do this and that YouBelieveInMe2!!! I am working on becoming aware of the changes I've made even though the scale isn't budging much, as you so wisely advised. Probably the biggest change is that my attitude toward exercise is much more positive now, which is HUGE for me! Sorry about the ongoing saga with your DH's daughter. That must be a huge stressor for you. Remember that you can only control your own reactions to the situation. It sounds like you are doing as well as can be expected. Hang in there!!!

gardenerjoy: Thank you for sharing about the book you are reading about eliminating processed food to break the cycle of addiction. Interesting! I tried mostly whole and organic foods for awhile when on the Beyond Diet program, but still didn't notice the results on the scale, where I really need them right now. Minimizing processed foods sounds doable for me. Thanks, also, for reminding me to take a day, meal, or minute at a time. That is usually my default mode when struggling, but I even forgot to try that this time. Using it now, though, as I begin to regroup.

Lizagna: Thank you for the message to NOT GIVE UP! I won't and I'm not!!! I was just really struggling that day. Fortunately, I feel my motivation coming back, but that feeling of "fatness" does still simmer under the surface. Darn it! Thank you, too, for the reminder to be gentle in talking to myself, as I would with a dear child or friend. When we were waiting at the airport to leave Florida, a bald lady passed us (who I did not see at first). My daughter asked, "Did that lady have cancer?" I asked, "Why, was she bald?" and turned to see a bald lady walking away. I answered, "Either that or she shaved her head in support of a friend" ..... and I silently wondered if that "bald lady" could be YOU!

Beverlyjoy: Yes, I am happy to be back home to my "food comfort zone." Thank you for understanding and relating to my feelings, frustrations, and thoughts. I will ALWAYS keep trying!!!

onebyone: Thank you for sharing that you've felt exactly how I described and for sharing your story of being the only one at the beach in a swimsuit ~ in a group of fit, trim, attractive people. That IS weird. I love how you said to not "allow my fear and self-judgement to stop me from living my life and enjoying the sun." I am really working on accepting myself right where I am and accepting myself along the way..... instead of waiting for a specific weight. So I really appreciate that thought. I had allowed that to happen temporarily, which makes me sad.

Newlifestyle: So sorry to hear that you have had young people die around you. That does take its toll and make you question things. I am happy that, despite feeling overwhelmed and out of control, you came here and posted. I can relate to feeling like a fraud when posting here if you aren't doing it "right," in your own estimation. I can also relate to wanting to not just take, but give back, too. Ann, you are an important part of this group. You give more than you know...... just by your honesty. It helps me to know that others struggle, too, but that they keep on trying. Please do not give up on yourself! You are worth the ride!

maryann: You said that you can relate to my feelings and that you think it is home of origin stuff for you. It is also related to home of origin issues for me, too. Deeply ingrained. But we can both overcome this crap!!! Let's do it together!!!

LuLu01801: I can relate, as you have probably guessed, to being hard on myself. Again, related to long-standing, deep issues for me. CREDITS to you for doing personals and for giving yourself credit where credit is due! So happy for you!

bethFromDayton: I appreciated your PM on MFP. Thank you for checking in on me and for rooting for me. It really helps! Sorry about your toe surgery and having to be off your feet. I can relate because I had surgery on a bunion last summer and might have to have another foot surgery this summer. It is a helpless feeling...... and frustrating. Hang in there!

spanky: I believe it and I can relate about going OFF plan for 7 months over the death of your dog. Yes, a dog IS a family member ~ at least for those of us who view them as such! We have 3 dogs as well. Lost our Golden a few months back and did get a new puppy (to keep the 3 dogs quota). I still miss our Golden and have her photo up at home and on my screensaver. They can't be replaced. CREDITS to you for posting, going for a walk, and eating a teeny bit less! You are on your way!!! I hope and pray and wholeheartedly believe that you WILL see your beloved Finn again ~ in the "White Light" with the squeaky carrot! Lovely image!

mercer1122: Best of luck to you with the Beck principles and Weight Watchers!!!

slmn11 (Carol Sue):

Waving hello to anyone I've overlooked and to those lurking!!! I think of this group often and gain strength from it! So thank you all for being here and for posting!!! It makes a difference!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #75  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation a full day

Coaches

credit for : being on plan all day
having a plan for the day
checking in with my coaches
weighing in: +0.9lbs for 254.4 today (had cheese before bed--think this is why)
not eating when I couldn't sleep
drinking all my water today
not using Looloo peeing on our bed 2 days in a row as a reason to eat even though I felt utter despair (I'm really tired)
cooking from scratch today
FINISHED MY BIG PRINT THIS MORNING!!!! 1 year plus in the making.
knowing I can't do that second one before my monday deadline. No way.

Have to get to bed now. Please hold Looloo in your thoughts so that she DOESN'T pee in the bed during the night. *sigh* We've installed litter pan #5 (for two cats) at the foot of the bed, right as you come inthe room. Previously she has been know to pee on DH's socks and/or underwear when they were there. Figure we'll give her the litter pan and hope this helps. I do have to say that I will take peeing in the bed, when all linens can be washed over the bout we had with her when she was having nosebleeds combined with sneezing "like a crime scene" DH would say. That, my dear coaches, was worse. *credit* for perspective.
Closed Thread