Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #136  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Feeling Good!!!

After much effort, I am finally making some big breakthroughs in my thinking and it feels great! I am nervous that I won't be able to transfer it into action, but I'm working hard on getting my mindset on board first ~ believing that I can and will lose and maintain the weight permanently. I started a new program (along Beck lines) for the mind and body at another site which said that if you don't really believe you can permanently lose the weight, you will always find ways to sabotage your efforts, and I truly think that is what has had me so stuck for so long. I have known that I was somehow sabotaging myself frequently, but didn't really own up to the fact that I only currently believe I can do it at about a 3 on a scale of 1-10....... until today. I am actually thrilled to have this information, because now I can work on getting that belief # closer to a 10. Then, and in the meantime, I will begin to make positive, lasting changes. Just this breakthrough has me motivated and energized again, which feels good, too! So, for the moment, I am feeling very positive, hopeful, and empowered ~ and ready to move forward!!!

bethFromDayton: It is so nice to have a face to go with your name!!! Thank you for sharing your photo!

SaraJP0804: to the group! Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey! I hope you benefit from the group. Keep posting. It helps.

to everyone else! Hope all is well!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #137  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Sara (SaraJP0804)

Sara (SaraJP0804)

In honor of joining this month,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #138  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Barbershop Quartet Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I learned last night that in prior centuries where the average lifespan was 37 years, that doesn't mean that there weren't old folks, but that significant numbers didn't make it through childhood. So the average is seriously reduced. I re-learn that about every five years. It's tough enough to try to learn stuff without having to re-learn it all on a regular basis. Perhaps that should make me feel better since I have to re-learn all my Beck strategies and Advantages over and over. (Incremented my monthly ticker today, CREDIT moi.)

Did gym, CREDIT moi. Got to discuss the incident of last week where a guy exploded with "Don't touch me!" No one yet has a clue what his problem was. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including a friend for dinner here. I was putting dried cranberries in the salad when I noticed that they seemed a little hard. Immediately thought it best to eat a handful to see if there were OK to serve a guest. Then realized that was a Sabotaging Thought. So I ate one . . . as in 1.0. Nobody eats only one dried cranberry. So I accepted that as on-plan since I dodged the handful. When I set my mind to it, I make a salad with spunk.

onebyone – Hope this storm warning doesn't delay your community garden too much. Are you doing exotic stuff this year?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love, love, love, the red ottoman stop sign to the kitchen. Pure genius.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Your avatar has a warm summer look. Even as our local papers declare that Colorado suffered a 55 degree F temperature drop in one day. Did that happen?

Beverlyjoy – Yay for accepting mistakes. Kudos for seriously planning for your stay where the pantry calls your name. Neat reminder, "it's not about the food... it's about celebrating Maya's first birthday."

spanky - Kudos for an OP day and for not being deterred by one that wasn't perfect.

nationalparker – Yay for eyes on the mend. A few hours of contacts sounds like a gift at this point. Vivid description of reality, "down, then up, maintain, maintain, down."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for physically moving forward. I'm delighted that you're able to not watch the second half of Les Mis - I was mesmerized when I saw it on Broadway, partially due to the wonderful rotating set, and have zero desire to see the new movie. Thought I was alone. Goodbye large clothes.

IBelieveInMe2 – What a powerful breakthrough to come to fully believe that you can do this. Kudos, Kudos, Kudos.

Liz (lizagna) – "Sounds like Tony and Emma have you under control," he elocuted in dulcet.

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Congrats on "clothes fit great" - diligence pays. First time I've read of avoiding a WW meeting weigh-in due to low weight but, of course, I understand your issue.

Carol Sue (slmn11) – Interesting story how dinner became a new major meal. Kudos for recognizing your situation so that you can find a path to get back on track.

Sara (SaraJP0804) - Congrats for starting on your path with the Beck Diet. Are you reading the green book? (The first one has a pink-ish cover and her second one a green cover.) The daily quotes (just below) are from the pink book. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

. . .If, on the other hand, you read your Advantages Response Card several times a day, every day, these reasons will be firm in your mind when you're tempted to eat something that you shouldn't. You'll be able to remember why you want to lose weight at the very moment your sabotaging thoughts are desperately trying to convince you that it's okay to eat something you know you shouldn't. You'll be able to say to yourself, As much as I want to eat [this food] and enjoy a moment or two of pleasure, losing weight is much more important to me.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 55.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks: Here is a tip that came through my FB newsfeed from The Beck Diet Solution:

Think Thin Thursday Tip: In dieting, what we think will make us feel better (like eating when stressed), actually makes us feel worse, and what we think will make us feel worse (like planning our meals in advance), actually makes us feel better!

Be back later.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 245/222/180

I eat when I am tired. I have an older dog that likes to get me up so she can go out at all hours of the night: 1 am, 2 am, 4am... whenever she gets the urge. I have managed not to binge in the middle of the night for the past few weeks, but the last two days I have been so tired in the evening. I just want to EAT. Usually, there is no thought process when I am tired like this. I'm like a zombie who wants to stuff my face with carbs, instead of brains. But I am going to give myself credit for last night because I acknowledged the fact that I was tired, not hungry. I ended up eating only a single piece of twizzlers candy instead of raiding the fridge and/or cabinets, and I stayed within my daily calorie limits. So I'm calling it progress!!

Good luck to everyone & have a great day!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #141  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Wednesday in early "spring"

Hi Coaches

There's about an inch of fluffy snowball-making snow on the ground right now. Why, just yesterday I was taking shots of a robin, small pointy pale green shoots peeking out of the earth and rain puddles with dramatic artistic reflections of the budding trees. Phooey. The weatherman was right. We got our winter weather as predicted. OTOH, the light level is much brighter and I can use that anytime.

Well weighed in for my official weekly weight and I am +0.4lbs. Sheesh. :banana: dancedancedance in the mid 250's. hang in there kid my supportive self says. Things are changing just give it t i m e.

Okeydoke. I can't contrl the physiological metabolic cellular decisions/metabolisms/efforts of my body to do whatever it actually really does to turn body fat into nothing--well it can't be nothing--waste products with a flat lean ripped former fat cell left behind all sleek slim and new. I really can't control that. I CAN however seek to stay on plan, TRUST it's working inspite of Mr.'s whispers to the contrary (what does he know anyway? nothing. he's not my cellular activity!)

So today I have a foodplan. It is written down and shared. I have posted here and I have things to do today which are both useful, helpful, health-supporting and a few may even be fun. Plus the Looloo cat is doing "markedly better" according to new bloodwork and the vet, and my other cat Caesar continues to be calm and loving enough to set an example for all warring nations at the UN.

Bye for now.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Signs of spring in WI: Robins with ice-tipped wings

Good morning, Becksters!

I am OP! Yea!

This morning I simply could not bring myself to don the "appropriate apparel" (nor appropriate mindset) to brave the icy cold, driving rain, and wailing wolf wind. Even Emma wasn't too motivated. Neither could I face Tony Horton and the completely acceptable climate of the basement workout either. So I got to work earlier, brought 3# dumbbells with me, and am committed to getting in at least 50 flights of stairs for the day, flailing weighted arms as I go. Fitbit says I've logged 13 of them so far. So there.

Has anyone noticed that none of us are doing this perfectly? Big surprise there, huh? I was particularly struck by BeverlyJoy's incredible list of credits, and then a challenging evening--& it sounded like she was about to nullify all of the amazing things she'd accomplished. And BJ, I'm so glad you recovered and reclaimed those credits! What came to mind is "One 'AW S#!" does not wipe out all the "Attagirls/boys!" (BillBE, how would that be phrased in cultured, dulcet tones?) Anyway, thank you everyone for sharing your credits/triumphs AND your AW S*s, because it helps me a lot when I struggle.

GardenerJoy - As so many have mentioned, LOVED the red ottoman for your personal "closed" sign.

OnebyOne - My partner in a frozen spring (along with Lexxiss): Really appreciated your cellular mantra as far as having no power over the inner workings of your body--just over your own planning and choices. Well played!

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Isn't there something wonderful about walking into a clean house? I could feel it as you described it. Hope your trip west goes well. Enjoy the hot springs!

Lulu - So glad you're feeling absolutely fabulous, dahlink! SO many credits. You are an inspiration!

BeverlyJoy - So sorry about your cold. Have you tried zinc & Vit C. Not sure-fire, but they sometimes help. Congratulations on your many credits! And also for so carefully--and realistically--planning for your trip!

Spanky So glad you posted.

BethfromDayton - LOVE, love, love your picture. You are so beautiful! Glad your healing is progressing, and congrats on the weight down. Even though you think it will bounce back, you KNOW it would not be down this minute if you hadn't planned and Becked as you did. Surgery would be opportune for caving to all kinds of STs, but you didn't. Big, BIG credit!

Slmn11 - I second Beth about MFP. I switched from WW to MFP, and I am so happy with it. (Not dissing WW, Lulu & others, because it's great for many.) Here is where we see Beck's wisdom in telling us to have two food plans in the hopper at any given time.

IBelieveinMe2 - It is so wonderful to hear you sounding (or more accurately "read you writing") so UP! Hoorah for breaththroughs! I could so identify about the belief factor in losing weight. I'm convinced I've been stuck in disbelief. If you would message me (or post it here), I would be really interested in hearing about the program you referred to.

Shannonde - Great job on the single twizzler and resisting the binge! CREDIT! (Emma's only 4, but she's started that biz of waking me up at all hours to go out. Sympathy/empathy for that sitch.)

Happy Thursday, all!

xo
Liz
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #143  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

hello Beckies!!
I'm having another good day today.
Last night I had uncomfortable thoughts around deprivation. As long as I keep the thought, it escalates to actually feeling deprived and uncomfortable. I was watching the Food Network, like an idiot, and it got me thinking . . . until I decided that I wanted the uncomfortable feelings to go away. So I changed the channel (like hello . . . that was a no-brainer). Then I felt better.
I slept really lousy (some personal relationship stuff on my mind) so I'm running on very little sleep today, but I'm feeling alert and content.
I was out the door at 5:00 this morning, driving my son to school for the bus leaving for a school trip to NYC!! He was very excited, he'll be gone for two full days. He's 16 and fabulous!!
For some reason, I did not make a daily schedule last night for myself for today, outlining my spontaneous and planned exercise. Darn!! Oh well, I won't beat myself up for it. After all, I'm a woman that hasn't eaten any food for 11 days so I'll cut myself some slack!!

Beverlyjoy
Getting a headcold sure sux, feel better soon. Looks like you have a good solid plan in place for your challenging time out of town. Think of us as you are making decisions . . . we’re rooting for ya!!! My cleanse is for 30 days. It’s my 20th time doing it, but my first time going this long. I typically go 10 days, once for 14 days, once for 21 days, so this is a new challenge. So far, I am enjoying the results . . . feeling spectacular!!

spanky
Hopefully you have a solid plan in place today and will make better choices as you hope to do. We need you here!!

Beth
So nice to see your picture and put a face to who we’re talking to. It would be so great if everybody did, but I totally get it why people prefer not to. So cool that you are a good example to your DD, how old is she? Scale going down, yippee!! Congrats getting rid of the 22s. I used to take a size 22, about 10 years ago. I lost 100 pounds and went down to a size 6 or 8. Now I’m an 8 or 10, and I’m determined to get back to the 6 or 8 . . . I just feel better and have a lot of fabulous clothes in that size. When I was losing all that weight, I shopped thrift stores to get new wardrobes in each size as I was going down. I would go there and donate all the clothes that were too big and buy a load of stuff in my new size. Just kept doing that until I was done!! To answer your question to me . . . oh yes, it sure is interesting how feeling better in one way translates to taking more care with other things. Feeling better has a snowball affect that affects us physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Believe
I’m so excited that you’ve made some big breakthroughs in your thinking. That’s what it’s all about. Once we think a certain way, our actions change. Positive, hopeful and empowered!! So happy for you!!

Bill
The gym, eating on plan, eating one cranberry? Wow, you’re good! I aspire to be like you when I’m maintaining. I want that sooooo bad. Just to not slip back into old destructive habits would be such a gift. How do you stay so motivated, if you don’t mind me picking your brain?

Shannon
You eat when you’re tired? I really don’t think I’ve ever heard that before. And you only ate one little thing instead of raiding the cupboards? COOL!!!

onebyone
Very good attitude you have about just staying in game, no matter what!! When you say you have food plan and it’s “shared”, does that mean you have a real live Diet Coach?

Liz
you are OP! Yea! Yes, I have noticed that none of us are doing it perfectly. I’m hoping when I’m done with my cleanse that I can stop trying to be so perfect and learn to be perfectly imperfect like all of you. Because you are all still seeing results, but are more realistic about your goal and achieving it while living a challenging full life.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!!

Lulu

Last edited by LuLu01801; 04-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Mailed the thesis today. it is done. the jury will be out for two weeks. I have done my part. Don't feel much of anything right now except tired.

The book is not perfect, but I will have it for the rest of my life. I will give it to DS. i am proud of what I have accomplished in two years.

I am not much for psycho babble but I did like this quote I read. As a compulsive overeater, I am especially vulnerable to discomfort because my solution FEELS like it is only a bite away. The truth is to be healthier I must be able to resist only one moment longer than the craving:

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. So if you're feeling uncomfortable right now, know that the change taking place in you life is a beginning, not an ending.

weight two pounds below ticker.

Last edited by maryann; 04-11-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies/coaches - yesterday went well. I am always grateful for that.

Food was about 95% OP. I had a couple of extra rice cakes. I need to watch out for them. They remind me of popcorn.

Many credits: plan/measure/log, water, exercise, journal, tried to eat some slower, worked on my 'plan' for my visit away, lots of water, wrote a new response card, leave a bite always, ate a bit slower....

Still reading and trying to plan for some food sanity while I am away. I've done twice before in my lifetime. So, I know it's possible.

I'll try and get back for personals later. Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-11-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #146  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Got through several meetings, two conference calls and a media conference all without stress eating. The day seemed to fly by - now made up my mind to disconnect after posting and relax with DH and watch a movie. He heads out Saturday - early to meet me in LA ... starting with a fun cross country amtrak ride (no one loves a road trip like him) and camping for a few days. He's all excited and I'm the one dreading this trip for work reasons.

Skipped lunch and ate still my reasonable dinner and feel proud that I didn't attempt to eat the missed meal.

I don't leave until next week -but have been rereading Beck for coping skills and liked the idea of saving a splurge to the final day of the trip - and i'm hoping that I'll have been on track so I won't want to splurge then anyway. I DO however ALWAYS want to eat on a plane. No matter WHAT. Wonder why. Well not on a small jaunt, but the cross country ones ... to pass the time? NOt a good enough reason.

LOVING reading all the posts - such good, positive vibes coming from this forum. You are all such great mentors!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #147  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Had a great day with a few slips. As I was prepping things for dinner (shouldn't have been on my feet), a strawberry made it from the cutting board towards my mouth before I realized what I was doing. Where the heck did that come from? I thought I'd totally conquered that.

I ate about 4-5 bites too many of my steak. In my defense, it was perfectly cooked. In my non-defense, well, I knew better. I may need to make a new card about stopping when I'm full--there will always be more food--good food--available later. This is not my only opportunity to have a perfectly cooked steak.

Helping DH cook dinner meant too much time on my feet :-( so I took ibuprofen and retired to my reclining laptop position with my stack of pillows for my foot.

I will say that I'm finding success makes continuing easier. But everyone else sharing their struggles and recoveries makes not it easier not to let a mistake (such as my eating at our Big Event) stop me in my tracks. Having such a fantastic group of diet coaches is really wonderful!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Russian Cosmonaut Day (Yuri Gagarin 62 years ago)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Some rain fell, so my Sugar Snap Pea seeds can get started. Let the magic begin. I walked (CREDIT moi) to a long evening meeting. When I get to be Czar, all meetings will be a maximum of 30 minutes. On a critically stressed project once, we held Monday morning meetings standing; the standing seemed to force a brevity that made them productive.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. At last night's meeting I did fine until the person sitting next to me was eating a shortbread cookie that I could smell. I fell for a pair of them - Ouch - but didn't eat the whole platter, LOL. "Good enough" includes credit for all that wasn't eaten.

onebyone – Neat to visualize those former fat cells as "sleek slim and new." Think I'll try that instead of being annoyed that they don't disappear altogether.

Beverlyjoy – It's a terrific Beck strategy to remind yourself that you've made such a trip before while staying on plan.

maryann - All done. All gone into the mail. Congrats for "I have done my part." Thanks for the thought that feeling uncomfortable is the feeling of beginning.

nationalparker – Kudos for spending a stressful day without stress eating. Honking Kudos for not trying to make up for skipped lunch - that's some clear sanity there.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – I so love reading this, "I will say that I'm finding success makes continuing easier." Congrats for juggling the tension of helping make dinner with resting that foot.

Liz (lizagna) – Yay indeed for OP. Love the thought of you carrying a pair of 3# dumbbells to work - in your lunchbox?

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Congrats for feeling calm with a 16 year old son in NYC. Kudos for the superb Cognitive Behavior strategy of . . . just changing the channel away from the food network. ["How do you stay so motivated:" Starting my day here is my secret strategy. When I've been lax recently, shifting to new Response Cards has been a big help.]

Sara (SaraJP0804) - Oh Yes, a big one, "acknowledged the fact that I was tired, not hungry" - Super Kudos. Good luck remaining patient with your older dog.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

. . .You'll start making Response Cards now, on Day 1, because reading them is an essential strategy for lasting weight loss. Creating your first card should take you less than 10 minutes, and it should take you less than a minute to read this card each day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 55.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #149  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

One more pound down - I'm so excited because my typical pattern is to stress eat before things I dread so to be in control is a nice feeling. Looking forward to relaxing tomorrow morning with you folks and getting some notes written! Drop DH off at the train station for the start of his adventure at 6 and then get back home and hoping to snooze a bit more. I never can when fully awake though. But I can snuggle with the one cat that lets me.

Bill - LOVE the idea of a standing meeting - I believe many of ours are considered social time for those running them, and they last ages longer than needed.

Beth - I know where you're coming from on the few bites too many. I've really tried to work to stop eating when I'm no longer "hungry" vs. when I'm full and then I seem to have enough for a true second serving vs. just a little bit leftover that, well, might get another spoonful eaten because it's going in the trash since not enough to keep, etc.

I am the guilty party who brought in goodies to my work today - yes, supermarket stuff for the crew since we're doing a congrats on a staffer getting married - typically I'd have made homemade goods but with the time crunch, it's from the market bakery. Lunch is out at a local bbq spot and I've planned that meal into my meal listing as well. I just have NOT allowed for more than a bite of the chocolate chip cookie cake. One bite will be the best bite, is what I have to say. (honestly, I might be better off scratching that taste idea).

Looking forward to time for a good personals note tomorrow! Happy Friday, all!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 245/222/180

Happy Friday, Everyone!

I conquered day 12 (starve yourself until dinner day), and didn't even cheat, unless having a bottle of Crystal Light is cheating. Also weighed this morning and I am -2.5 for this week. Woo-hoo, halfway to 5!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Closed Thread