Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #256  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It was a hectic weekend without much "me" time. I got a text from the boss yesterday morning which I responded to by getting to work an hour early. I left the house without a plan and it manifested itself once it got crazy busy. Twice I lightly buttered some toast which was supposed to be dry...and twice I ate my mistake. Ouch. Fortunately, I'm a light butterer lol but I found myself agitated by my actions. The next time, I've given myself permission to throw it away. I had a lighter than usual dinner, which seemed to compensate ok and weighed in this morning to an acceptable number.credit.

BBE, thanks for the link...beautiful Buffleheads! Don't know that I've ever seen one. I'll ask DH the duck expert. I'm amazed at the friends who were so organized (I guess) that they already had the paint for the long forgotten room.

Ann(Newlifestyle), you asked about veggies in my smoothie...my fruit is always apple/blueberries....veggies are beet, carrot, parsley, kale, cucumber and whatever else finds it's way there. Ginger root is mandatory for us as we seem to think it keeps us from getting everyone elses' crud. We add two protein powders, too. Does it taste good....probably not so but we do it every day because it seems to sustain us with lots of energy. DH is good at making them, too, which sure helps me out.

Well coaches, I must get ready for work which includes my short freeweight workout.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weekend was a standing ovation. DH completely surprised at seeing old college buddies and DS able to survive Jurassic Park (with eyes closed several times). I practiced resistance muscle all through weekend including saying no to cupcakes, any refined sugar and all bread—an especially big deal since one of the night we camped which is a traditional free for all.

Credit for staying OP. Credit for coming home last night and telling the boys I needed to be alone, went into my room and watched Pride and Prejudice (4 hours) straight through. New behaviors take a great deal of internal thought and discipline which is exhausting . Credit for giving myself down time while learning these uncomfortable behaviors.

Making the veggie soup for the week. ( A huge process) Credit for getting prepared.

BBE: Camping on the river, two huge water birds ( cranes?) flew directly over us.
gardenerjoy: I agree that having satisfying "Go To" foods is important to success. I am finding my way to those foods with this new plan. It is such a giant departure being almost exclusively fruits, veggies and nuts. But I want to try and make them the NEW normal.
onebyone: Congrats on 250. I know it has been a long time coming.
spanky: Your new plan seems a lot more reasonable than 750 cal a day. I know I would have a hard time on that. Good Luck.
NewLifestyle: DS was really scared during Jurassic Park but he made it through. My little guy is very sensitive and I was proud of him for sticking it out. He is going to Middle School next year and there will be lots of things scarier there.
Rosebud170: A gym that I like has been incredibly important in maintaining my weight. Through the early part of my twenties, I was over 200 pounds and didn't exercise. I lost twenty pounds just exercising in the gym I loved without any food changes. Good Luck with YMCA.
Beverleyjoy: I am in awe at people who garden. One of the reasons I married DH was because he had a lawservice
Lizagna: As I always say, It is not how far off track you go, it is how quickly you get back on.
LuLu: Glad you are so happy with your cleanse. Beck solution is so helpful with the behaviors. I am sure you will be successful.
Lexxiss: I added some lemon juice to my spinach, sweet potato, orange and pear smoothie and it was quiet terrific. I am not a big spinach fan.

Last edited by maryann; 04-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Monday: The start of a week filled with potential!

Good morning, Becksters!

Emma and I wogged 2.6 mi. this morning after I did 20 min of P90X2. OP for food. I can say the same for today that DH says about his plan for immortality: "So far, so good."

Rosebud - Although I'm a technical writer and have a critical eye when it comes to business documents and the like, in postings such as this--particularly yours!--I find it much more entertaining to skip the proofreading! Good for you to recognize all the wonderful NSV transformations you're experiencing, even if the scale isn't showing all of the underlying "good drama" that's creating it. Also yea for healthy dishes!

BillBE - I've never been much of a birder, but now I think of you every time there's an interesting one and appreciate them more. Thanks for the bufflehead link. They are SO cute. This morning we had a flotilla of mud hens. In the fields we're seeing tons of wild turkeys, sandhill cranes, and geese sharing space with their mammal friends, the deer.

Maryann - Fantastic on the standing ovation weekend! And wonderful for you to make time for yourself--which will ultimately pay dividends in how you're able to share your time with others. Woohoooo for you! Thanks for the reminder about it's about how quickly we get back on track that counts.

Here's to a great week, everyone!

xo
Liz

Last edited by Lizagna; 04-22-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #259  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I'm back from my totally off-plan weekend away. Didn't intend to be totally off plan, but I was and this morning's scale reflects it. I also took inadequate care of my foot. Oh well.

Today is back on plan and I'm catching up on a wide range of things on the computer and resting my foot as I should be.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckies: Happy to say that yesterday was a healthy day. Grateful.

I had many credits: weighed, planned/weighed/logged food, arc/rc/beck, journal, exercise, ate slower, tried to taste the food, and took three deep breaths before I ate each meal. I threw away DH's Milk Duds and dumped dish soap on them. (I did have a few and then got rid of them). I wish I had had the resistance to not eat any. That's for another day, I guess.

I am only going to use the computer for 20 - 30 or so minutes a day for a while. For many reasons... I spend too much time online... besides writing stories, etc. Also, it's causing some pain in joints. Of course, I will include Beck 3FC in my day. You all are a big part of my sanity with food and are supportive, helpful and certainly understand the struggle of living with food in a sane way.

beth - glad you posted. Hop right back on your plan and you will be OK.

lizagna - Credit for your walking and being OP. Awesome.

maryannn - I am doing a happy dance in honor of your OP weekend with all those temptations. That can really strengthen your resistance muscle for sure.

lexxiss/debbie - oops on the extra butter. Rushing out the door can be tough sometimes. Glad the scale didn't bite ya.

billbe - I can totally see how folks would be talking about the 'what you were doing during the time in' for sure. Glad you got out to see some birdies. Good exercise.

rosebud - I understand how that scale can go up and down. Hopefully we learn along the way and it goes more down than up. I've been doing that too... but, am happy to say that my weigh is down 14 pounds in the past five months. Slowly, but... progress.

lulu - glad you daughter was safe, too. It's been a harrowing week for you all. Carry on.

spanky - great for being OP!! Tweaking is good!

onebyone it's such a good idea to start to find out which carbs trigger you. I noticed how much salt is in everything when I was out of town and didn't watch my salt. I was amazed.

Ibeleiveinme2
- glad you are tracking again. It's been helpful in the past. Carry on.

newlifestyle - glad you've had these OP days. Credit!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-22-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #261  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone
Quick post tonight. I just got back from a great walk. I had a bit of a slip yesterday. Not sure why but I ate chocolate. I did add it in and I was okay. I still didn't like that the chocolate got the best of me.
It was so beautiful outside today. It is hard to believe it snowed on Saturday. I hope you all have a wonderful night.
I am off to jump on the trampoline with DS.
Take Care
Ann
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #262  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hello coaches,
Yum....today I ate a little of each of the yumminess I made yesterday. Kudos to me for eating well today. The scale actually moved this morning too...yee haww! I got lots of steps but agree with Lizagna that MFP may be giving me too many calories in exchange for more walking. I plan my food the night before and add the exercise in later so I have not been using those calories but it is very tempting at times.

It is a beautiful, sunny evening here and is supposed to be sunny all week..it puts is skip in my step!

Til tomorrow...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #263  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Hanging in there!!!

Hello Coaches,

I just managed to get in a late-night 30-minute workout. It felt good emotionally, but my left foot hurt the whole time. I think I might need surgery on it again. (I had a bunionectomy surgery in July 2012.) It has been bothering me, really, since the surgery and is getting worse. Terrible ball of foot pain when I walk long distances for exercise and on the treadmill. Forget "wogging" for now, which I really want to start when possible. I go back to the podiatrist for an evaluation this Friday. They had prescribed an anti-inflammatory for the pain, but I am pretty sure I had an allergic reaction to it, so had to stop. It didn't seem to help much anyway.

I feel like there is always something getting in the way of me and my weight loss journey, but I will find a way to make this work!!! I am NOT giving up!!! I am so thankful to have my motivation back and I am working on BELIEVING that I can permanently lose the weight! The scale is still budging in the wrong direction, but that is just information, right?!?

I decided against a cleanse for now. Will focus on healthy foods and portion control and counting calories at MFP, and hopefully the scale will give me better information soon! I need some encouragement there. Can't help it. Still trying to focus on Non-Scale Victories (NSVs) in the meantime.

One thing that is bothering me is that my DH is also trying to lose weight and he is almost down to MY weight!!! I know I shouldn't compare our weights, but when I get on our exercise equipment and see his #s, I can't help it. I tend to get intimidated in situations like this, but I am trying to use it as incentive ~ to stay LOWER than him! He, of course, does not know that I am even bothered by this, so let's just keep it our little secret! But this is another reason I want that dreadful scale to give me BETTER information!!!

Waving hello to all of you! I will do personals again one of these days. Just don't want to let that stop me from checking in! Hope all is well with everyone!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #264  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The whole town did a moment of silence at 2:50 pm ET to commemorate those killed and wounded. The conversations about the bombing just keep on keeping on. My favorite librarian told me that she had left the finish line of the Boston Marathon just 30 minutes before the bombs went off.

Walking, CREDIT moi, was chilly - just enough to wish to be wearing gloves when off and wish to take them off when on. Putting them on and off reminded me of my old dog going in and out, in and out, in and out during the day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – You're one loyal employee to get to work an hour early in response to a text. Hope they appreciate you there.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for your use of dish soap to help with choices.

maryann - Kudos for avoiding cupcakes on a traditionally "free for all." And Extra Kudos for giving yourself time when that's what you needed.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Chocolate has such a siren call - Kudos for limiting your divergence.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Good to be back on track. As that foot recovers, it'll be easier to ignore what it needs. Kudos for giving it attention again.

IBelieveInMe2 – Such a pleasure to read you sorting through the stuff so clearly. Hope all goes well attending to your left foot. It's so unfair that the process for males losing weight is so different than females - comparing will always be a bummer.

Liz (lizagna) – Yay for continuing wogging and P90X2ing. Just discovered that there's a minor league baseball team in Toledo called the mud hens.

Rosebud170 – Congrats on a scale recognizing what you're doing. I've also noticed that most estimates of calories burned seem higher than my scale observes.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Make Your Advantages Response Card
. . . In addition to carrying your card(s) with you, you might want to put the list in other places where you'll often see it. Dieters I've counseled came up with these creative ideas:
  • Turn the list into a screen save for your computer.
  • Program your e-mail to send items from your list as pop-up messages at regular intervals throughout the day.
  • Copy the list on sticky notes to put on the bathroom mirror, refrigerator, or car dashboard.
  • Post the list on the inside cover of your diet notebook.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 59.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #265  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Here are some words of wisdom from the Beck Diet Solution via my news feed on Facebook.

Monday Motivation: Many dieters find that once they gain control over their eating, it helps them feel better, and more in control, in general. Feeling in control and on track can have a positive spillover effect into so many other areas of your life!

Tuesday Reality Check: If you think, “It’s okay to eat this one unplanned food, it won’t matter,” remind yourself that slip-ups usually have a more lasting effect on the rest of your day. If you allow yourself to get off track in the morning or afternoon, you’re much more likely to continue making off-track food decisions later in the day. It does matter!

I'll be back later. (turning off the computer for a while)

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-23-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #266  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Snow here again...folks are ready for Spring yet recognize we really need the moisture. Food ok yesterday with a change in plan for dinner (OP though). I resisted all toast at work which was really helpful because I got to enjoy my allotment with our marvelous black bean/homemade salsa/farm fresh fried egg dinner. credit.

IBelieveInMe2, credit for posting acknowledging its far more important than personal responses! Keep your strong intention. It matters!

Off to work!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #267  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Finally back from my work trip ... and now trying to get caught up on regular work this week, but hoping to take off Friday, so there's a glimmer in the future of free time. Lexxiss, we stopped over in Denver yesterday from Los Angeles, and saw your Colo. snow/sleet/slush. Hope it does help with the drought out there. Good viewpoint.

Didn't turn to food as much as I thought i would from stress out there; no time. I did pass up pastries and goodies nearly every day, though, but indulged in pizza with DH one night as my only meal that day and then ate a ton yesterday traveling - tcby ff froyo, the 100 cal packs of cheese nips on the plane, etc. SO MUCH. Typically I wait a few days for the scale to settle after a trip but wanted to see the initial damage and was up a half pound, so I need to hold firm here and not sabotage a "success" in gaining a smaller amount than I feared.

Will catch up here soon - hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to read up on everyone. If not, then I'm just going to jump back in and go from here Have a great Tuesday, all!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #268  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Tra-la-la-la-la Tuesday

Hellooooo, Becksters!

Last night I finished the video I'd been working on over the past month for my "Year of Living Baldly" project. Until last month, I'd never even held a video camera (unless you count when I pressed the wrong button on my iPhone)--so it's been quite the learning curve to operate the camera, get past freezing up like a wooden popsicle stick when I'm on-cam, then learning video editing. It's a rookie effort, but I'm proud of it--and was all but dancing around the kitchen last night when I finished it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY6778w9oNA

I've been Fitbitting like crazy and getting in an average of 16K steps/day and 60+ floors stair-wise. I'm just freakin' tired, and this morning did not feel like doing any strength training/P90X at home or stairs at work--although Ms. Emma & I had a delightful 2-3/4-mi wog. That's it. I'm done til tomorrow. But being vigilant and OP with eating.

IBelieveinMe2 - I have had two bunionectomies on my right foot and a left foot that has hung on the cusp for two decades. One of the things I've found that makes a difference in the condition of my feet is the condition of my shoes when I exercise. If I'm not wearing really good shoes, or if those good shoes have become compacted, my bunions are the "canary in the coal mine" that signal time for replacements. If you're not already wearing GREAT shoes (and they might cost $60-$100--pricey, but better than surgery if it works), I recommend calling around to running stores in your area. (They may be called "running stores", but the good ones also cater to walkers.) Ask if they cater to runners AND walkers, and if their employees are runners/walkers. This indicates if they know what they're doing and have people working there who have literally and figuratively "walked a mile in those shoes". This is free advice, & you get what you pay for....

BeverlyJoy - Yea for healthy days, OP, and so many credits. Had to laugh about your soapy Milk Duds. Great solution (in every sense of the word).

NationalParker - Welcome back!

BillBE - Big credit for continuing to take care of yourself, walk, and maintain maintenance. The Toledo Mud Hens have been around for quite awhile, haven't they? Here in Madison we have the Mallards, part of the Northwoods League--a summer league of top college players from across the nation, run like Minor Leagues. Quite the draw & very fun. And loyal to the bird theme!

Happy Becking, everyone!

xo
Liz
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #269  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

I just watched Lizagna's video and had to comment separately before posting for Beck-stuff:

WOW! Pretty awesome film for a Rookie Effort! I loved the pace and the choice of music. Not to mention the fact of this supportive act itself. I have no doubt your friend is moved and comforted by your act of pitching in. Thank you for sharing your link!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #270  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Default Beck-stuff

So. OP for the day, last meal safely wolfed down with extra calories to use if I must. I'm actually beginning to look forward to weighing less. That means I feel like it's possible. This is a Good Thing!

One of my dogs is recovering from having a molar removed--she's 10 and is having a rough go of it. I made sure to leave her crate where she could look out at the golf course, the squirrels, and all the wild turkeys hiding there from the hunters. Sort of like a big screen TV for dogs. Made her "Eggy Oats" from my doggy cookbook so it was easy to eat. Remembering the Spring Break when I was 20 and had all my wisdom teeth removed at once...

Had to make my first hiring decision at work. Praying I'd choose the person to whom the job would mean the most among the 50 qualified people who applied for it. [Things are still very tough in Michigan].

All the Best to the Becks! spanky
Closed Thread